(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whamtan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4406 5 years ago

TNA 408 (born Nov 8, arrived Nov 29) can't keep the ball flat for a full game (slo-mo video attached). At power level 4 the slings launch the ball into the glass, sides, apron, plastics...everywhere but the playfield. I've tried white rubbers with moderate success, the next step being black when I'm able to find some. As shown in the attached pic, the kicker arm also pulls the rubber down instead of pushing out, creating a springboard. I'm hopeful that washers under the star posts will help align these in a less hazardous way.

While I'm finally on my way to fixing this issue, I have advice for any other "first and only" pinball purchasers out there:

Don't dump your budget into just buying and shipping a new machine. Expect to go out of pocket to get it running.

As well, if any recent owners are having playfield chipping issues I recommend contacting Spooky or your supplier directly.

SLING_KICKER2 (resized).jpgSLING_KICKER2 (resized).jpg

#4422 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Are both slings pointed down like that? Compare it to the slingshots in the core to see how they're pointing…Hopefully Spooky can help you with sorting that one out.

All five slingshots push the rubber down as shown in the photo. Not as dramatic in the core slings, but still enough to throw the ball out. The slomo video shows the upward launch path, but some are definitely bouncing hard down first.

Will test the updated beta code and report back, hopeful for some positive results.

#4424 5 years ago

Beta code helped, but didn't solve my sling issue. I can see how the code improvements will be beneficial, seems less sharp but equally powerful. Punchier.

Adding washers to raise the height and switching to black rubber (white up top) allowed for my first complete game since it arrived.

If you've got a nasty case of airballs (and I mean NASTY), this should keep them grounded.

IMG_8672 (resized).JPGIMG_8672 (resized).JPG

IMG_8673 (resized).JPGIMG_8673 (resized).JPG
#4426 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

That all seems a bit excessive. Did you try and update to the latest beta version and adjust the sling power to prevent the airballs without the washers?
--Scott

I tried the software update before adjusting the hardware. Balls still bounced around…the sling kicker arms on my machine push down unusually hard on the rubber rings, creating a springboard effect and sending them airborne even at low speed.

Adding the washers aligns the kicker to push the rubber outward. I agree, it is very excessive.

Photo and video posted here:

Quoted from Whamtan:

As shown in the attached pic, the kicker arm also pulls the rubber down instead of pushing out, creating a springboard. I'm hopeful that washers under the star posts will help align these in a less hazardous way

#4428 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Isn't the TNA designed and built using standard parts for the slings?

Here's a few more angles, let me know if it looks high compared to anyone else's. There's one on location I'll be checking out on Saturday as well.

I'm honestly just glad it's not trying to kill itself anymore.

IMG_8469 (resized).JPGIMG_8469 (resized).JPGIMG_8470 (resized).JPGIMG_8470 (resized).JPG

#4430 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am wondering if you have the wrong length coil stop in your slings? Get us some pics of your slings from below. pull off a coil and lets get a look at a stop, etc...

I hope these pics are useful, sorry I can't measure the coil stop.

I'm done pulling this thing apart for now…it's been here 35 days and this is the closest it's been to operational. Time for a thorough test.

IMG_8676 (resized).JPGIMG_8676 (resized).JPGIMG_8679 (resized).JPGIMG_8679 (resized).JPGIMG_8680 (resized).JPGIMG_8680 (resized).JPG

#4433 5 years ago

The physical adjustments (washers/rubbers) appear to have minimized the issue, it'll get a hearty flip this weekend

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

#4486 5 years ago

If anyone is having the slingshot issue and willing to try out the new beta code, please let me know if the updates I made eliminate the issue. Unfortunately, this is not happening on games I have access to, so I cannot replicate.
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=1724
Thank you,
--Scott

Only happened once in 24 balls, lower left reactor sling (video attached). Vastly improved, didn't encounter any on the lower slings.

I've had a few lock rejections, might be a Drop Target #3 issue? If I try to park one immediately after lighting locks, it will knockdown #3 rather than raise #2 (video attached).

#4488 5 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the videos. So it still did happen with the new Beta v1.3.1.b1 software? If so, I may have to rework what I did for the v1.3.0 release...
The lock rejection is caused by the CPU not reading and responding to the opto beam quick enough. This happens once it a while if you really shoot it in there at full speed. I have seen this on my game, but there is not much I can do about it. There is even a stat in the audits to say how many lock rejects are happening. The software does it's best to keep this from happening, but it still can happen rarely.
Thank you again!!!
--Scott

Occurred just the one time in v1.3.1.b1, much less than before. Happened right when reactor went critical too, not sure if that would have affected it. I'm going to try going back to the stock rubbers as well…the airball situation has mellowed considerably since adding the washers and updating the code.

Thanks for clarification on the quick lock shot. Felt like an "it's only pinball" sort of situation, glad to have that confirmed.

Thanks so much, Scott!

#4496 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Occurred just the one time in v1.3.1.b1, much less than before. Happened right when reactor went critical too, not sure if that would have affected it. I'm going to try going back to the stock rubbers as well…the airball situation has mellowed considerably since adding the washers and updating the code.
Thanks for clarification on the quick lock shot. Felt like an "it's only pinball" sort of situation, glad to have that confirmed.
Thanks so much, Scott!

Sweet, I'll give the b2 a test run when it's ready!

The lightshow coming out of the right scoop is mind blowing every time, BTW. I'll keep an eye out for odd behaviour during critical reactors.

I did notice some machine gunning, assumed that's what it was doing instead of staying stuck on now. Adjusted the switches to be bit less sensitive.

Happy to help, you're most welcome!

#4500 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Do I have the new beta code world record?
[quoted image]

Is there a leaderboard for solo 4P co-op?

IMG_8629 (resized).JPGIMG_8629 (resized).JPG

#4519 5 years ago

I'm getting machine gun/stuck slings again as well, after widening the switch gaps.

Managed to try a TNA on location this weekend: zero airballs, played exactly as advertised. It was super wicked…tons of co-op games all afternoon.

Glad that I've been able to string some games together on the home machine as well. Much progress.

1 week later
#4566 5 years ago

Just an FYI, I put up some new beta code tonight that should clear up the sling sticking issue that some of you are seeing. Let me know if you still have issues with it. Thank you!

TheNoTrashCougar version b2 has been solid after 10 test games, slings haven’t acted up.

#4582 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

Is there supposed to be a sound associated with hitting the right loop orbit? I get one going around the left loop orbit, but not the right. Of course...the left loop has the spinner, so not sure if that’s the reason, or not?
Thanks, if anyone can chime in...

Try a switch test for that top right orbit, both should make a whoosh sound when triggered.

#4595 5 years ago

More Beta code for your pleasure... Man, this v1.3.1 patch is really turning into another decent update.
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=1724
--Scott

TheNoTrashCougar
“Hold buttons to scroll up and down in menu” Thank you!

A weird thing I’ve noticed is you can’t view the GC score when scrolling left during attract mode. You have to go left past High Score 1 and then right. Scrolling left seems to miss a few screens along the way.

#4646 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I don’t know if I’m missing something, but has anyone had their ball save trigger when going down the outlanes but without qualifying the outlane ball save? I thought maybe it was carryover time from the beginning of a ball or post beating a reactor, but it seems to happen randomly.

Tail end of a scoop ball save is most likely the culprit there. If it fires into a sling dance and then hits an outlane it’ll still give you one back.

#4676 5 years ago

My upper flipper has two unattached leads, can someone provide a photo of theirs so I know which goes where? Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…mine have apparently become snippers.

C04546F2-CAC2-47B1-A642-35F8C262FA17.jpegC04546F2-CAC2-47B1-A642-35F8C262FA17.jpeg
#4681 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

There's plenty of good choices out there, but these work fine for me. I have a pair in my home tools and my work tools.
https://m.harborfreight.com/7-inch-wire-stripper-with-cutter-98410.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Thanks! Mine are similar, I find them a bit flimsy. Managed to get their jackets removed, now just need to know which wire goes where…

#4683 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

2 solid blue , blue/red in the middle and then blue/green.

Bingo, she lives! Many thanks!

#4691 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

But I can strip wires like there's no tomorrow... I went to the self-adjusting type and absolutely love it. No more trying to figure out what gauge wire I'm working with. Maybe not for everyone if you're married to the old style, so try out a friends or something if you're watching every penny. But for about $20, this is one of my favorite tools in my chest.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

That’s the tool I’m looking for, many thanks!

3 weeks later
#4815 5 years ago

Seems we’ve got the technical wrinkles ironed out of our TNA, so I figure it’s time to go for a Total Annihilation on camera. This first attempt went pretty well, let’s dust some reactors and aim for a new PB by April.

Pinball ownership has been a “learn by doing” experience which can be quite overwhelming for newcomers. Thanks to Spooky, Scott, and the Pinside community for being so helpful along the way.

2 weeks later
#4922 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

In watching TNA gameplay videos I notice a lot of players short plunge to a live catch with the right flipper. Currently, when I short plunge it hits the top of the right sling 95% of the time. I try to slap the machine as it's coming down but this rarely seems to do anything (game is on a carpet with 6.5 pitch if that matters). Is this pretty common or should I adjust the lean of my game?

The top arch can be tweaked so both orbits deliver the ball as desired. There’s a nut under the playfield which, when loosened, allows the metal arch/orbit exits to be adjusted slightly. Tighten it down to test, repeat until you dig the delivery.

#4923 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

In watching TNA gameplay videos I notice a lot of players short plunge to a live catch with the right flipper. Currently, when I short plunge it hits the top of the right sling 95% of the time. I try to slap the machine as it's coming down but this rarely seems to do anything (game is on a carpet with 6.5 pitch if that matters). Is this pretty common or should I adjust the lean of my game?

The top arch can be tweaked so both orbits deliver the ball as desired. There’s a nut under the playfield which, when loosened, allows the metal arch/orbit exits to be adjusted slightly. Tighten it down to test, repeat until you dig the delivery.

1 week later
#4970 5 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

I have a question about adjusting the orbits of total nuclear annihilation. When the ball rolls out of them, it hits the slingshot and not the flipper. I loosened the nut under the playfield to adjust the position of the bottom of the orbit but I can’t really deflect the metal. Do I need to drill out the playfield hole?

I had to remove the plastics and shape the arch with pliers to get a manageable delivery. It still hits the top of the sling at slow speeds but comes down clean 75% of the time.

2 weeks later
#5043 5 years ago

I started saving for a pinball machine in 1997. For twenty years it was going to be Addams Family, until I saw Scott’s whitewood online. I followed closely as the game took shape, and production became reality. Spooky’s promise of quality, a trustworthy product worth investing in, confirmed a decision two decades in the making.

TNA 408 arrived on Nov 29, unplayable due to violent airballs and a misaligned autolauncher. The playfield immediately revealed severe damage, more than plastic washers would cover. Had I known what I was receiving, I would have refused delivery.

By Jan 3, with a combination of hardware and software modifications (sincere thanks to Scott), I managed to play my first full game. Things were looking up, but I was pulling the glass every 10-15 games to reattach blown solder joints (no shaker motor). I seem to have secured the problematic ones (3 on upper flipper and 2 on left scoop), but rarely turn it on as it continues to fail. I asked about obtaining a replacement flipper coil, and as with previous requests was told to place an order at Pinball Life. Snapped rubbers and deformed balls are considered “a part of regular maintenance” within the first two months. All this from a warranty that claims “We’ll cover parts in your game in home use for 1 year".

On Mar 5, the replacement playfield is ready to ship, however:
“It's pretty much just unscrew / transfer as you go. My guys can do it in about 90 minutes but ... not going to go that fast for a home user I'm sure. Personally, what I would (and most people do) is put the washers in the current game to cover the wear, and leave the flawless new playfield sit in the box until the old one is beat to death.”

Sending me something to keep in a box doesn’t fix anything. I directly asked for the price of a populated playfield in four different emails and this is the response I received: “If you were down here, I'd meet you at a show, have you come to the shop... whatever worked.” So if you choose to buy direct, make sure you live within driving distance.

“I give up” aren’t the words you want to hear from a business owner with whom you’ve invested your life’s savings, but here we are. I paid for a new machine and received a major project. It’s a heart breaking mistake I could only afford to make once, so at the very least it can’t happen again.

PLAYFIELD_DAMAGE_TNA_408.jpgPLAYFIELD_DAMAGE_TNA_408.jpg
#5053 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

not going into private details in public.

I will, since you’re more concerned about preserving your public image than actually helping.

47AFF10A-8ABE-4342-A427-9E8FD66CD184.jpeg47AFF10A-8ABE-4342-A427-9E8FD66CD184.jpeg
#5070 5 years ago

Pretty clear this is the wrong hobby for me. Have fun ripping each other off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whamtan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=whamtan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.