(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,938 posts
  • 768 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by SeikoKid
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg
20240310_214123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefoz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6756 3 years ago

Hello - just got my TNA a week ago and am putting in the new ball save lcd w lights. You know that wire ladder that’s in the way? Any issue with cutting the bottom of that off (the part that connects to playfield)? Appears pretty sturdy without attachment.

#6761 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Here’s another question- you know that fan drawing in the middle of the playfield? What if I put a tiny fan in a small plastic enclosure (the size of the drawing) with a light in there? Would it be easy to just wire those through one of the ball lock opto holes to a source of power and another light? Maybe make the fan run w a green light and then it stops with red light when reactor is critical? Or would that take programming?

0E38AB21-7CA4-4A98-BF3D-DE284A2811ED (resized).jpeg0E38AB21-7CA4-4A98-BF3D-DE284A2811ED (resized).jpeg
#6765 3 years ago

The green protectors are f’ing DOPE. I’m thinking about putting pink in the center though. Anyways, I’m working on this reactor coolant fan mod and then the coolant pump after that. I don’t have faith in that stock fan!

B5A1C2BF-4C45-4777-BA81-5B3BF145DBFC (resized).jpegB5A1C2BF-4C45-4777-BA81-5B3BF145DBFC (resized).jpeg
#6785 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:Hi everyone, good morning.
OK, here are some follow-ups to some things posted above.
RGB Clear Drops:
So it was only a matter of time before someone figured this out!! HAHA! Awesome. I was planning on making a kit with all the components needed to install these along with instructions. The hold-up right now is I need to make this a fool-proof install as it is not a simple mod installation. This is going to require skill to replace the drop targets, route wires, and screw new holes in the bottom of the playfield to mount the lights. I am actively working on this to come up with the easiest way possible to install and prep the kits.
If you feel inclined to just do this yourself now, below is the list of what you will need. I used these exact parts on my machine.
1x - RGB Harness: https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0274-00
3x - RGB Insert Lights: https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-insert-led-pcb-assembly.html
3x - Frosted Drop Targets: https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71
3x - 3/8 Hex Screw: https://www.pinballlife.com/6-x-38-unslotted-hex-head-screw.html
3x - 3/8 OD Rubber: https://www.pinballlife.com/38-od-black-mini-post-rubber.html
1x - Pack of Zip Ties (optional): https://www.pinballlife.com/4-nylon-cable-zip-ties-pack-of-25.html
Super basic installation instructions:
1. Turn off machine and raise playfield.
2. Replace all 3 drop targets with clear ones.
3. Plug in rainbow cable to the only open slot on one of the green PD-LED boards (visually match orientation from one of the other boards).
4. Plug in RGB Insert Lights into the first 3 positions of the rainbow cable harness (verify by carefully powering on machine and once in attract mode they should all 3 start flashing. If one stays white, it is in the wrong spot. If they do not light up, they are plugged in reverse.).
5. Screw down the RGB lights behind the clear drops pointing up at them, but not interfering physically with the drop. Use the little rubber between the light and the playfield.
6. Route the rainbow cable carefully using zip ties away from anything that could snag them mechanically.
7. Power on machine and in attract mode, make sure the lights are hooked up in the proper orientation. The lightshows will make it obvious if they need the cables swapped around (easy fix). LED test also helps too.
That should be it, but I do want to assemble proper instructions with pictures and make a one product kit to help make it as easy and self explanatory as possible.
The Scoop Error:
The code in this game will do what it can to prevent the scoop from firing if a drop target is up. This is great, but if you have a flaky drop switch, this can cause the ball to get stuck in the scoop. Another way the ball can get stuck in the scoop is if the scoop opto is not functioning properly. Check all of these things and you should be good to go. I would hate to have to remove the scoop safety check, but if this keeps happening, I may have to do something different to deal with it.
--Scott

What if some easy programming could have one (or all three if used) RGB lights stay lit green and flash red when the reactor is critical? And then it was an option in the settings? And then I PayPal’d someone for their time? Just wondering.

#6788 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I am not sure what you mean. The lit drops are fully integrated into the gameplay, just nobody has seen it yet except for razorsedge .
--Scott
EDIT: Are you talking about using the 1 unused RGB drive on this harness for something else?

If there’s an unused RGB drive that’s even better (I was thinking of using whatever was available from the drop target lights). I ordered a small computer fan that’s usb powered and was gonna plug it into an open slot on the board for power. Then i wanted to put a light in the housing (or next to it) for a reactor cooling fan.
Is plugging this into an open slot a bad idea? If not, could that unused drive be easily programmed?

#6790 3 years ago

Please do not plug a fan into the RGB socket of the PD-LED board. You are gonna have a bad time. I will see what I can do in the future about using that unused RGB out for reactor status. No promises, but not a bad idea.
--Scott

Thanks! Oh I meant plug fan into open usb (same one I plug my thumb drive into to update code).

#6800 3 years ago

This is the fan I ordered, unfortunately wont be here for another week. I agree slowing the blades down would look better, might be able to by restricting airflow. I’m sure the rpm is pretty high without restriction. The size seems about perfect though.

13A834AC-7357-4C55-AB0F-D615C57C00E7 (resized).jpeg13A834AC-7357-4C55-AB0F-D615C57C00E7 (resized).jpeg
#6805 3 years ago

Here’s the reactor coolant pump and fan sketch. Ridiculous? Jump to conclusions mat?

BC9021B7-4011-45A8-967C-016D1A72A9CB (resized).jpegBC9021B7-4011-45A8-967C-016D1A72A9CB (resized).jpeg
#6808 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeZooNours:

Dude, awesome idea!

Thanks, but when i get it together it may not be very impressive. Worth a try.

#6810 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Use gin instead of water, nothing will grow in it, and it glows under UV light.

Roger that, Imma pick up some Bombay and mull it over with some tonic

#6834 3 years ago

I was putting in the new ball save and noticed the third wire loose from the left flipper. Flipper is working fine. Anyone know what that wire does? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

358E396E-F8C0-41A9-90E9-B6045518B542 (resized).jpeg358E396E-F8C0-41A9-90E9-B6045518B542 (resized).jpeg
#6838 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's the hold coil return connection. I'm actually not even sure if TNA uses the hold coil at all, but I wouldn't want that wire just flopping around. I would fix it.

Thanks - I’ll eventually fix it - just was wondering what it was for and why the coil was still working.

#6839 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

It looks like you forgot to peal off the paper on the black spacer for your Shoot Again timer.

Wow I’m an idiot. Easy fix tho - thanks!

#6858 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

That final LED is maybe destined to get asigned for control in association with the Cooling Fan Mod!
Hopefuly!

Agreed- you’ll have to post your setup. The fan I got is a little small and spins way too fast. But I’m working on something a bit more like you have shown in your post. If you get something put together please post it.

2 months later
#7032 3 years ago

I’m not sure what the intent of the backbox drive is? Did you have something in mind (or did someone else on the forum mention it)?
As far as the 4th light associated with the drop targets - thanks!

#7036 3 years ago

1.4.1 UPLOADED. HAPPY. ALREADY WANT MORE CODE.

37A84FE3-FCC7-45AA-8B3A-00F14D81D932 (resized).png37A84FE3-FCC7-45AA-8B3A-00F14D81D932 (resized).png
1 month later
#7139 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Hmmmmm. I like this. I wonder if you could link it to the start reactor light somehow so it isn’t always lit.

You can use the 4th LED associated with the lit drop target mod. Off by default. It will light blue when reactor is ready, green when activated, and red when critical. Turns off after blowing reactor.

9 months later
#7838 2 years ago

Anyone know if I could power an led strip from the usb in the backbox? Or would that be bad? 0.5 amps.

2 weeks later
#7861 2 years ago

Wait, shouldn’t the lock sticker be on the drop target by the scoop followed by #1 and then #2 up front?

#7863 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yep I thought it made sense for lock to be the one back by the scoop. Then you see "1" for one ball locked, then "2" for 2 balls locked.
With no balls locked then it indicates as to the purpose of the lane. Since the numbers aren't visible.

Thank you for the logic validation!

1 month later
#7927 2 years ago

I’m having an issue (see pics). Had several multiballs that I didn’t earn. I did the drop target test and everything was fine. Right scoop eject worked fine, also checked switches and the optos all seemed spot on. Any ideas what the problem is? This TNA needs to be fully functional - it’s BEGGING me for help.

4F22029C-5CB2-4B30-B6C5-830D7F1D35A4 (resized).jpeg4F22029C-5CB2-4B30-B6C5-830D7F1D35A4 (resized).jpeg6D27C4B8-68F3-4493-BBA6-B1B22DA8FE9F (resized).jpeg6D27C4B8-68F3-4493-BBA6-B1B22DA8FE9F (resized).jpeg
#7929 2 years ago

That is probably an issue with your scoop opto. Might want to get rid of the IDC connectors on the sender (green) side and replace with crimp and stuff connectors. Oh, also check in coil test the the right scoop is working.
--Scott

Thanks for the quick reply and help. The right scoop coil is working. I will try the opto connectors, but here’s some more info in case it clarifies things. I turned the game back on and it went through several ball searches (all balls were in the trough). I started a game and all drop targets started in the down position. I went to the drop target test and they all went up and down, no error.
Not sure if that changes your advice, just wanted to make sure the opto is the issue. Thanks again for helping

#7933 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm not a TNA owner, but wanted to say how cool it is that the game creator is so active on this thread and personally helps people trouble shoot their machines. Super awesome. It makes me want my own TNA even more.

Agreed, very cool. But we need to give him space so he can work on his next masterpiece - the TNA prequel. I’m guessing there’s going to be some crazy light shows and buildings exploding and a tank that shoots the locked balls across the playfield. Listen, I don’t know if this is in the works - but people want it - I know that much.

#7942 2 years ago

When you run the drop test in the service menu, let it cycle a bunch and see if any errors occur.
Here is the easiest way for me to describe what is going on and how to fix it.
[quoted image]

Thanks Scott! Opto connector was the problem. I was going to remove the insulation on the wires and try to smash the connector over bare wire, but that didn’t seem possible so ended up having a friend solder the wires directly to the ID connector. Had to restart a couple times but she’s 100% now. Now I’m back to trying to get that LIONMAN mystery award.

2 months later
#8120 2 years ago

I had some audio issues with the single audio input to the amplifier, so got a 3.5mm to 2 RCA adapter and it fixed the issue. Then I was thinking I should split that 3.5 mm signal and run it to an external sub also. That seemed to work, so then I was thinking I should unplug the line running to the sub and just extend it another 15' to my surround receiver - that would have the entire basement bumping. But the problem is there's a significant delay in the music to the surround and it's also pretty quiet. Is this just signal loss in the longer run? Does this also explain the delay?
Not a big deal but I'm just wondering if someone with some more audio knowledge has some info. Thanks

#8123 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

I use pinstadiums on my tna

Works fine for me using my home theatre amp.
Posted a video the page before this.

I did see that video, I think the difference is you run the audio directly to your receiver - mine is split and then run to the spooky amp and the receiver. My speakers /receiver are not in the same area as the game (20 feet away instead of 2 feet like yours). I'll give going directly to the receiver a shot, but even if it works would be weird without going back to the game for the cabinet speakers.

9 months later
#8673 1 year ago

I looked at joining the fang club a couple weeks ago, but it said you had to be signed up by August 1st for the 2022 “goodies”. I figured this meant early access so I didn’t sign up. At $9k I’m not sure I would have followed through anyway. I wasn’t that shocked but was thinking $8k would be reasonable.
Maybe it’s because they are doing such a limited run, but I figured with the code and layout all in place it would be cheaper to manufacture. The plans are complete, just assemble.

#8679 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Scott said there’s no way it’d be $10k, but at $9k + tax + shipping…that’s where you’re at. I think he also said, Spooky wanted it to be their best selling game, and we get a 250 limited run?

I think he also said he has no say in the pricing. I’m hoping a good portion of the price is going directly to him.

1 week later
#8901 1 year ago

TNA is an amazing game, Scott has posted many times to help people with any issues they had - including me. If you’re buying a 2.0, I don’t think you’ll have any regrets. The fact that you have someone who cares about people enjoying the game and will ensure you do is priceless.

1 week later
#8974 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

awesome. I'll order the tna cliffy set w/ my next order.

I put the scoop cliffy on mine and the ball would get hung up on the upper area every once in awhile. The ball search would kick it in, but I’d prby skip that one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 210.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefoz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=thefoz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.