(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,964 posts
  • 507 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by d0n
  • Topic is favorited by 201 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,099 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.52 PM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_20200708_213522 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
received_743793086423851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200705_152923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_101742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_152906 (resized).jpg
9B7D6E7D-25D9-4286-9AF6-732DCB266927 (resized).jpeg
20200615_132044 (resized).jpg
20200615_125902 (resized).jpg
7BA84E42-A8A8-45C4-B3D7-AA279D0701D3 (resized).jpeg
E08E3D9E-E2AF-4F00-B650-E96D265BA712 (resized).jpeg
AC31C551-91F1-4C87-A5F2-A8850C5499D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4006 (resized).jpg
20200531_203152 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (2 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (2 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (2 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (2 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (2 years ago)

Post #1958 Beacon LED upgrade and suggestions with photos. Posted by NimblePin (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2656 2 years ago

Wow...thank you to my amazing wife for planning far in advance for the best birthday gift ever. The game was setup in my game room when I came home on Friday. Welcome to the future!

20180520_094119 (1) (resized).jpg

#2662 2 years ago

Few questions about my new game.

1) The R.A.D. targets seem to have a lot of foam under them and I find that it takes a really strong, direct shot for them to register. Is that normal, or should I look at adjusting so that more ricochets register? When destroying the reactors it makes a pretty big difference. At this point, I dread having multiple R.A.D. targets randomly selected, especially the D. I'm assuming the foam is great, so I would just look to reduce the space between the switch contacts.

2) How common are air balls on your setup. I have a good number of them where the ball flies up into the glass or worse jumps the lane guide and ends up landing in the outlane. I love the speed of the slings, but wondering if I need to turn them down a notch. Oh...plastic protectors seem like a must.

#2669 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

they will likely get beat down a little after lots of plays, but I always regap leaf switches to adjust to my taste.

Quoted from Aurich:

On my game we gapped all the switches to be sensitive, and I 'broke in' the foam by hand compressing it hard a bunch of times. After that I'm much happier with the response.

Thanks, I'm sure it's the same on The Grid too, but those are easy enough to target directly. I think I'm going to try to break in the foam and tighten the gaps on the RAD and 123 targets to make them more sensitive.

#2674 2 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

My game plays great right out of the box.

Mine plays great, we're talking about some very fine tuning.

#2685 2 years ago

Probably a video of it somewhere since she was in the MGC cosplay contest.

#2727 2 years ago

I don't have a lot of experience with powerballs, but I have tried glowballs. They just felt too light. I don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost like they were just sliding across the table versus rolling. I did not like them at all. What is the difference in gameplay between the two?

PS: Even on Twilight Zone, I typically just want to get back to the regular ball.

2 weeks later
#2905 2 years ago

I get quite a few rejects too, even when coming from the upper playfield. It's almost like a lip out in golf. Starts to fall then skirts on past. When it's lit, I really try to settle things before letting it fall controlled into the scoop. Haven't done a whole lot of tweaking with anything though, so it honestly could just not be setup 100% correctly.

#2939 2 years ago

Can someone describe for me how the Team Vs Mode is supposed to work? I was playing it a few days ago and noticed that my team couldn't progress beyond reactor three until after it was destroyed by the other team. It was critical, but no buttons were illuminated for destroy. I did also shoot the shots that were illuminated for the other team, but that didn't do anything. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to how it was working until this happened, so perhaps it was doing that for the other reactors too. Is this normal?

#2941 2 years ago

Hmm...I think it may be a bug caused by starting the mode incorrectly. We started out playing Coop Mode. Four players were added and Player 1 played their ball. The start button was then held, which switched it to Team Vs Mode (I wasn't expecting that to happen). From then on the reactors seemed to progress as if in Coop Mode, meaning that as reactors were destroyed they were destroyed for both teams. However, as previously noted if a reactor was critical no shots were illuminated for destruction for the other team. The scores were still keeping track as 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4.

PS: On a side note. I wouldn't mind seeing Team Vs Mode to accept 1 and 3 vs 2 alone. I have a number of non-pinhead friends and that might create a fun handicap mode.

1 month later
#3253 1 year ago

My guess is no, but that was my guess at the total sales several years ago. spookycharlie Did my guess ever make the white board? I remember at the time 500 was considered a very optimistic guess.

#3259 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I guessed over 1,000 , I hope spooky can keep building these for years to come . This game could very well keep employees at spooky working between new tittle releases .

Which would have been an even more optimistic number. I don't doubt it anymore.

#3296 1 year ago

Dumb question of the day...Is there any technique to help get the lock down bar to latch easier? I struggle with this on TNA more then any machine I've ever owned.

#3299 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

It's the same as bally Williams / stern / jjp. You will need to adjust the two brass screws under the lockdown bar. To make this easier I would remove the balls, stand the playfield up and then make your adjustments. That way you can see what you are doing.

Hmm...I've never adjusted one before. Thanks.

1 week later
#3331 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

How’s the game holding-up interest-wise for owners with a few other games alongside it for variety? i.e. 3~10 games.
I’d love one of these, and they’re not easy to buy in the U.K., but would find it hard to sell an existing game (as always!)

Holds up well in my 6 game collection.

#3338 1 year ago

Finally updated the code last night. So far adding the timed challenge seems to make me play a whole lot worse. A great addition, but I need to just let those destruction times happen. When I'm rushing, I play terribly.

1 week later
#3395 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't realize it was that hard. I get a four ball multiball second time around almost every game. Didn't know what it took to do it though. My best strategy is to not think too much when playing.

You guys are better players then me.

3 weeks later
#3466 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Wanted to clarify some thing on the rules.
When the reactor is active and the ball in the upper PF what is required to overcharge the reactor (stand up targets and/or roll over lanes?) is there a pattern or some shots that are more valuable?.
Once the reactor reaches maximum it's ready to collect, is there a way to raise the value (aside from the multiball PF multiplier?). Example: DI once the phone is activated to 100% subsequent electric man hits will increase the value of mode shots. I was curious if each reactor was static value or able to be added to by certain means?
Are there any combo awards (repeat loops?).
How is super spinner qualified?

I'm not sure I can answer all 100%, but here goes.

1) You overheat the reactor by completing switches in the reactor, mostly your lanes and slings. I'd assume targets too, but it's harder to tell when those are hit and I haven't really paid that much attention. Oh, the spinner also advances your overheating value.

2) First, I just want to clarify that there is the reactor overheating value and reactor jackpot value. You must complete the reactor overheating before the random shot(s) will be lit to destory the reactor. So with that in mind, I assume you are talking about the reactor jackpot. You can collect it without it being maximized, but you can't increase it beyond the maximum value. That's one of the advantages with advancing through the reactors. Each one has a higher maximum value. I guess you could shoot to complete the target bank to collect more points, but I don't think that would be a good risk reward use of your efforts.

3) There are combos for repeat orbits.

4) Super Spinner is based on number of spins of the spinner. Lube it up to make it easier on yourself, because shooting the spinner is very satisfying.

1 week later
#3505 1 year ago

Just installed the new LED as well. It's a very nice improvement.

#3526 1 year ago

That is not currently an option. I wouldn't use it, but perhaps others would. For me destroying the reactors is hard enough as it is. Especially once you get to the higher reactors and you need multiple critical shots. Starting over with reheating the reactor would make it damn near impossible for me. Keep in mind that each reactor is already harder and harder to destroy.

One change I have considered would be having the option of eliminating the randomness of the critical shot(s). I wouldn't mind having it be a progression with each reactor. Ex. Reactor 1: Destroy (left), Reactor 2: Destroy (left), Destroy (right), Reactor 3: Destroy (left), Destroy (right), Pop, etc. Perhaps have this as a tournament mode. Sorry, I haven't played with the settings too, but much I don't think this is an existing option.

PS: When I say "higher reactors" I'm talking about 4 and 5 for myself. I play the game quite a bit and I have never seen reactor 6.

#3554 1 year ago

I keep my security bits in another room, but it also comes off just fine with a fathead micro screwdriver.

2 weeks later
#3621 1 year ago

Can you show where you tapped into? I was thinking about adding a colored washer to make it stand out, but this might be a better option.

1 month later
#4135 1 year ago

I'm going to be doing neopreane then acrylic? I know it sounds like overkill, but I think the neopreane creates the best protection for the playfield, but star post will sit better on the acrylic. Might not work at all, but that's what I'm going to try.

#4196 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Sounds damn good at 11

Was that according to your neighbors? I think mine is set at 4, which is still decently loud.
images (resized).jpg

#4212 1 year ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I didn't find them to be sticky other than them being stuck together. Either way I don't think they were stickier than the mylar that was pulled off . I'm out of town for a week but I'll pull one off when I get back in town and see if it sticks to the playfield at all. Spooky is sending me the acrylic washers but I think I'd rather stick with something softer.

I honestly can't imagine anything better then these previously mentioned from Amazon. Mine weren't sticky in the slightest and they fit perfectly under the posts.

amazon.com link »

#4253 1 year ago

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I'd seriously suggest buying the package of washers from Amazon. They are $6 and I don't think any company is going to be able to produce anything as good as those. I ordered these prior to Spooky posting. When they were still in transit I considered reaching out to Spooky to get the "official" mod, but after they arrived I discovered they were the perfect fix.

2 weeks later
#4414 1 year ago

I just went though and made some additional switch adjustments to my TNA...huge improvement. I would also say it makes a big difference in the difficulty of the game. Setting the switches in the reactor area very tight, makes increasing the reactor value and overheating the reactors quite a bit easier. I also set the RAD targets tight and have probably doubled the number of Mystery awards since making the adjustment. I had a hard time going to bed last night, because I kept wanting to play one more game. Reactor 6 must be destroyed!

#4416 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I had done some tightening of switches in the Core earlier in the week but noticed they were starting to machine-gun a little. Watch out for that. I had to open mine back up a bit.

I had the same experience. Took a bit of playing to get them perfect.

#4427 1 year ago

Isn't the TNA designed and built using standard parts for the slings?

#4439 1 year ago

Seems good to me. First time on reactor 4, I also nailed the pesky "D" target first try. Not sure how you made that shot easier with the new code, but I enjoy it.

#4443 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

it's in there, doesn't come up often, but it's in there.

I can second this. It's there and is one of the better rewards IMHO. I may need to re-level my game because resetting that last drop target can be a drain monster.

#4450 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I guess they lack an appropriate technical resource to keep their site current.

Zidware and Dutch Pinball have nice websites.

Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#4590 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I am always open to ideas!

Have the game sense if a ball is in the shooter lane during fast restart. So three balls in the trough and one in the shooter lane just starts up a new game right away. No need for it to auto plunge.

#4598 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like a call out making fun of anyone that does a cheater restart
Would love the lady voice mocking the player or something about giving up and now everyone dies.

I would welcome that, "The past is doomed as the result of your cowardice." ... as long as it still restarts faster.

#4617 1 year ago

All I hear on mine is the slight hum of a nuclear reactor.

1 week later
#4688 1 year ago

I experimented with turning down my flipper power to 26. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in my ability to hit the scoop, but my preferred technique is to lock a ball and plunge into the reactor. Remember, ball locks are not just for multiball.

#4692 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think we’re talking about two different things.
People missing the scoop
People hitting the scoop and it rejecting the shot.
For people in the latter camp, I think Scott suggested adjusting the roof on the scoop down a bit to help the ball stay in there when you shoot it.

At least in my case, I probably just phrased it poorly. I'm referencing the ability to hit the scoop and, more importantly, not have it bounce back.

#4735 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Looking back it’s been in production since ~ September 2017. (I’m not sure of actual date but early November people were getting their pins). That’s ~18 months average of 30 games per month.

I'm guessing it was fewer games during those first several months then ramped up at the end. I think they said they were at around 14ish games a week near the end.

Also on the podcast they mentioned a manual for TNA. I was doing other things while listening, but it sounded like it was close to being complete.

#4737 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

"Close to complete" is not what I would have said, but it's getting there. I need to update some of the code specific pictures and settings. While i have the basics outlined, I am no Butch Peel (jjp manual designer) so dont get your hopes up for CAD drawings of each mech. I'll try to get something out for approval in the next couple of days (weeks) and we can see then how much improvement will be needed.

Fair enough.

1 week later
#4762 1 year ago

I'm enjoying the game more with the flipper strength at 26. For me it makes the game a little bit easier.

1 month later
#5030 1 year ago

Have you guys ordered these washers? I installed them as soon as the issue was mentioned and haven't given it a moments thought since. My hunch is that Spooky will wrap the artwork around all future star posts, but if I ever had a game come with artwork under star posts these washers would be a day one addition.

amazon.com link »

#5032 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

In case you guys were interested. I made these today.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0060-00

--Scott[quoted image][quoted image]

thenotrashcougar Those would look killer with a pink Sac Rack

#5073 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

This thread really took a bad turn. Let me change direction a little.
I finally destroyed reactor 7 on Monday. I was half way through ball 2 when I destroyed 6, so 7 was a struggle. I had a little over 8 million points. I came upstairs to tell my wife, and she said I looked like I just ran a race.

Damn...I'm still stalled out at 5.

#5117 1 year ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

My question is, have all TNA's been delivered up to #550? Or are there a few left on the line yet to be made?
Really just curious more than anything else.

I think they have all be produced, but some of the retail locations may still have new games in stock.

Quoted from iloveplywood:

As an owner I'd love for the prices to rise, but I think you'll be able to get good deals on these in the future. It's a little bit of a niche game and on the hard side which wears some people out. I'm not sure it will be more valuable than, say a HUO Stern of the same time frame even though it cost about $400 more NIB.
It is an awesome game though.

I agree with this exactly.

1 week later
#5211 1 year ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

I went back and re-worked the instruction card text to update the multi-ball verbiage [quoted image]

I played around with how to display the rules and came up with a few suggestions. First, since we seem to need the space, remove "Instructions". I'm going to work on my own card and lead with, "Destroy all reactors for total nuclear annihilation!". If someone is just glancing at the card it tells them the the overall objective of the game in three seconds. Second, I think you can simplify your reactor steps into just two, startup and destroy. Third, I combined the jackpot into the multiball write-ups. After some thought, I decided to just removed the reactor value jackpot. If I decide to add it in the future it will be as a part of a instruction discussing REACTOR VALUES. Fourth, I added the mystery award back onto the card. When I did the layout to scale, every rule fit onto one or two lines. There are some other minor changes, but take a look and use or ignore as you like.

DESTROY ALL REACTORS FOR TOTAL NUCLEAR ANNIHILATION!

REACTOR STARTUP: Complete the center grid to unlock the reactor, then shoot the left scoop for reactor startup.

DESTROY REACTOR: Shoot the lit orbits to enter the core and build the reactor temperature to 100%, then shoot the lit shots on the lower playfield to destroy the reactor.

MULTIBALL: Lock balls in the drop targets and release for a playfield multiplier based on the number of balls in play. Shooting the drop targets during multiball will awards jackpots.

MYSTERY: Complete R-A-D targets in order to light mystery. Shoot the left scoop to collect.

BALL SAVE: Complete the S-A-V-E lanes to activate the ball save. Collecting three lanes will qualify the ball save, which can be stacked if not activated.

SKILL SHOT: Plunge the ball into the lit C-O-R-E lane to light ball save. Accomplish without changing the letter after the plunge to automatically complete the center grid.

#5213 1 year ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

You forgot "Quickly sip beer after reactor startup."

It's timed. There is little time for that. Perhaps they need to have a sensor in the pingulp to award extra points for taking your hand away from the game to grab your beer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Eugene, OR
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 17.50
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside