(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,941 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1608 6 years ago

Lock stealing is awesome if locks don't carry locks over game to game. Someone starting with two balls locked, like in Rollergames, is a bit goofy, but when you're competing against someone and you both know lock stealing is possible, it really adds a lot to the strategy.

#1617 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

All locked balls drain at game over.

Right. TNA does it the right way.

1 month later
#2139 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Completely disagree. That is nothing for NIB adjusting from any company.

I sometimes wake up with panic sweats when I have flashbacks to the amount of time it took to get my GBLE playing correctly. Literal hours of fixing stuff (drop targets too low, shipped with 3 busted switches, one way gate backwards, opto had a cracked pin on the board, and much more) before I could even play it casually. That was crazy.

#2158 6 years ago

The fans on my GBLE, DILE, and WoZ all seemed loud to me at first, but I got used to it. You can't hear anything while playing, or really even if any other games in the room are being played. I'm sure you could install a quieter fan, but you'll only really notice during attract mode.

#2223 6 years ago

Oh, sure...you agree publicly, but just last night you were saying you were completely against the notion. WHAT IS IT, SCOTT?!

1 week later
#2336 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

So upon review the trough “ball detect switch” blades are clearly supposed to be completely straight. However, it seems like the model Spooky is using has a design flaw or something. I ended up replacing mine with Williams ones, which worked perfectly and I suspect will continue to do so. (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=384)
The Spooky/Stern ones have the blade end bent and embedded flush into the switch body and the blade needs to compress a hard rubber “ball” to close the switch. It seems quite difficult to do so, in my case the blades were simply bending around the ball as there really is no space for the blade to pivot down onto the ball.

The Williams ones mount the blade on a raised section on 2 pivot points over a typical plastic microswitch peg and they easily close due to the increased leverage and lighter resistance in the switch.

So if your trough switches start acting up...

I think you did this when you were trying to adjust your switches earlier. Adjusting a switch's blade is far more subtle than closing the gap on a leaf blade. Very minor bends make a big difference. When you adjusted them, it looks like it was too much and introduced full bends into the blades, it made them lose their proper action.

For adjusting through switches, just a tiny flex right near the actuation point has a big effect. Also, keep in mind that flexing the blade so the roller is a tiny bit higher is how you add pressure to the switch actuator. But flexing that blade too much will cause ball hangups or bad registration.

Finally, if you adjust too far, you need to flex the blade down in the same spot or you end up with a wavy or twisted blade.

1 week later
#2438 5 years ago

Sheesh, the fan is fine in TNA. The fans on JJP, Stern, and Spooky games are all loud while not playing, but they're not noticeable during play.

1 week later
#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Sadly, it appears 'improvements' are a problem for pin companies because this community can't handle change without canceling pre-orders or demanding free upgrades.
As Spooky builds more games, I'd like to see them listen to customer feedback and make stealth improvements as they go along.
It's not hard to find an inexpensive, quality display nowadays. Why not replace the power supply with something quiet?
They are building hundreds of games (and hopefully thousands), not millions. They should make improvements as they learn from games on route, etc.

The fan is fine. Stern and JJP have "loud" fans too. There's no point in springing for a fanless power supply or a more expensive fan. If anybody has an excuse to use a perfectly fine option that costs less, it's a small run company like Spooky. I never noticed any issues with the display any time I've played it. There are always going to be nicer displays out there, sure.

I remember being surprised by how loud the fan was on my GBLE, but didn't care after a couple of days. I don't leave my games on if I'm not playing them, and you can't hear the fans in these things while playing. It's a non-issue unless for some reason you leave your games on and fans stress you out or something.

#2555 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Stern and JJP have "loud" fans too. There's no point ...

It sounds like you'd care if it was a crappy bracket that kept breaking, but for 'peripheral sound/display/art/power', you don't care.

That's a ridiculous analogy. The fan is not a problem. It's not a detraction from the experience. You can't tell the difference between the stock fan and one that was blessed by a wise sage to never make a sound no matter how high it's RPMs go while playing. Why would I want to add cost to a game for something that has zero difference to me? It's not a cheap part, it's a standard part. You have a Wizard of Oz, that's what the fan is going to be like in TNA.

#2622 5 years ago

Pinstadium is always so polarizing. I'm not going to use it in any of my games, and I think UV mode and the flash effect is about the worst thing ever, but a lot of people seem to really like the mod. I don't see TNA being a title that would benefit nearly as much as many older games, however.

#2672 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

My game plays great right out of the box. Only issue I have is when I crank it to 11 my wife complains because it rattles the floor upstairs. So if anyone has a fix/mod for the game or my wife, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Just work on a variety of convincing apologies.

1 week later
#2780 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

let me show you how images through a camera can make a playfield appear lighter and more colorful than it actually is in person. spooky had a camera over the ACNC playfield most of the weekend at GSPF. compare that image with the actual playfield lighting.
you were there. did you find ACNC sufficiently lit?
20 seconds of your time. through the professional equipment of pinball news Martin Ayub.
» YouTube video

I've played a lot of TNA and ACNC in person. Both are adequately and well lit. Neither game is dark, overly bright, or oddly colored in a way that makes tracking the ball anything but simple. You can move on from that and start looking for another nit to pick.

#2784 5 years ago

Don't they collect payment a couple of weeks before they build? Then they usually go out in batches, right? I paid up on the 21st, but I don't think payment was due until the 25th. I would guess it would be 2-3 weeks from payment due before it starts getting built and then another 2-3 weeks to ship. Either way, once you pay in full, it's getting close. Exciting times.

2 weeks later
#2926 5 years ago

Congrats, enjoy. 3 million isn't a bad score for having so little time!

#165, get on a truck!

#2940 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Can someone describe for me how the Team Vs Mode is supposed to work? I was playing it a few days ago and noticed that my team couldn't progress beyond reactor three until after it was destroyed by the other team. It was critical, but no buttons were illuminated for destroy. I did also shoot the shots that were illuminated for the other team, but that didn't do anything. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to how it was working until this happened, so perhaps it was doing that for the other reactors too. Is this normal?

No, that's not how it's supposed to work. Make sure you play in the correct order. Player 1 and 3 are one team, and 2 and 4 are the other. Once you have Team Vs mode started, you need to add all four players. Progress is shared between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4, but they are totally independent of each other otherwise.

#2950 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Mine is shipping Monday!!! Happy Days!!!

Mine too. PLAN THE PARTY.

#2957 5 years ago

Every time you get to a new reactor, you take a moment to listen. It's pretty cool, especially when you're doing co-op and you get to a tune that someone hasn't heard yet.

#3050 5 years ago

Is it really that hard not to ram forks into a box? Is it that hard not to tighten up straps across a box so hard it tears through the box and rubs the cabinet? Is it really that hard? Good work, FedEx.

download_20180620_124408 (resized).jpgdownload_20180620_124408 (resized).jpgdownload_20180620_125254 (resized).jpgdownload_20180620_125254 (resized).jpg
#3052 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Is that yours? Did you refuse shipment?

It's mine, and I wasn't there. My wife took the game, but filed a damage claim. The driver left before I could tell her to refuse it. I'm so pissed off.

#3060 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Leave it on the pallet and make them pick up, ship it back, and send a new one. FedEX should pay for the costs

We're working with them now on what to do. Thankfully the driver put in good notes about the state of the machine upon delivery. The box looks like it was attacked by elephants.

20180620_132929 (resized).jpg20180620_132929 (resized).jpg20180620_132943 (resized).jpg20180620_132943 (resized).jpg20180620_133019 (resized).jpg20180620_133019 (resized).jpg
#3062 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

You had a VERY good driver then. Normally when this crap happens, it's a damn nightmare.
Document everything, and let Joe at PinballSTAR know right away so he can help.
HATE to see this stuff. Sorry sir!

Joe is already on it and we're not too worried about it. We'll get it sorted!

#3088 5 years ago

Co-op mode is a big hit in my home already. Both kids were out of bed and immediately went downstairs to attack nuclear reactors. Fun stuff.

20180621_222926 (resized).jpg20180621_222926 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3168 5 years ago

I'm packing my game up today and taking it to the Salt Lake Gaming Con. It'll be there tomorrow and Saturday as part of the pinball alley. The convention sees a big crowd and last year our local club hauled out a bunch of pinball machines to do some free tournaments and have games on free play. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive and we've been asked to do it again this year and our space is much, much bigger. We should have around 60 machines, two days of free tournaments, and it should be fun. I couldn't simply leave TNA at home and have it miss all the fun...

#3174 5 years ago

Over two days at the Salt Lake Gaming Con, it got 444 plays with an average ball time of 55 seconds. Only 9 tilts, mostly due to the fact that we were on a polished concrete floor and saves were easier. The game was constantly played, and tons of 4-player co-op games were going. It was well received and the first time a lot of people in this area were able to see the game.

Quoted from imharrow:

I have dropped my playfield into the cabinet and the other day one of my friends was looking at an issue while I was busy and he dropped the playfield into the cabinet.

Why am I doing this? Is there anything that can be done to the rails to make this less common?

Not sure what you mean, but it fell off the rails just while you lifted up the playfield?

#3176 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

As I transition from resting on the service rails, to bringing the playfield up to lean back I pulled it forward off the side rails. The motion was completely unconscious, done it hundreds of times of sterns. The force I am use to providing appartly is enough to jump the stops at the end of the side rails.
I thought I was unique until I saw an other very experienced pinball owner do the exact same thing.

Crazy. I haven't had to put my playfield up, but I'll be sure to watch it when I do. Anybody else notice this? Are the rails shallow at the end?

1 week later
#3211 5 years ago

I know. There's no way I could consider moving my TNA out at this point unless some sort of financial emergency hit me.

#3242 5 years ago

The screen is fine. It's a little washed out looking, sure, but the entire look of the game's graphics are static-filled imagery anyway. Part of it is that it sits lower and has a tight viewing angle, so the taller you are, the more washed it will look as well. In any case, there's no need to swap the screen, but I understand why someone would want to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.