(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,964 posts
  • 507 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by d0n
  • Topic is favorited by 201 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,099 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.52 PM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_20200708_213522 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
received_743793086423851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200705_152923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_101742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_152906 (resized).jpg
9B7D6E7D-25D9-4286-9AF6-732DCB266927 (resized).jpeg
20200615_132044 (resized).jpg
20200615_125902 (resized).jpg
7BA84E42-A8A8-45C4-B3D7-AA279D0701D3 (resized).jpeg
E08E3D9E-E2AF-4F00-B650-E96D265BA712 (resized).jpeg
AC31C551-91F1-4C87-A5F2-A8850C5499D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4006 (resized).jpg
20200531_203152 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (2 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (2 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (2 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (2 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (2 years ago)

Post #1958 Beacon LED upgrade and suggestions with photos. Posted by NimblePin (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2245 2 years ago

Co-op mode is such an awesome idea. My wife enjoys pinball but she's never going to play as much as me so there's no point really in competing, but working together to beat our co-op high scores? That would be a huge hit in our house. Man, if I could get one of these in a couple of months I'd have purchased it already. It's such a great game, basically pinball boiled down to it's essence (or something like that, maybe?).

10 months later
#4778 1 year ago
Quoted from procks:

Got my TNA set up today and I'm loving it! A few things:
Should the backglass feel kind of loose like it's rattling around when I touch it?
Is 1.2.1 the latest firmware?
Anybody else have problems with their backglass key? Mine works about 1 in 10 attempts at turning it. The cashbox key works great.
How can I lock the front metal edge piece back in after removing the glass? I pulled the lever to remove it but I can't figure out how to lock it back in. The lever doesn't seem to want to move once the metal edge is back in place.
I still need to level it.
Love the game! My first pin!

Funny, I got my TNA delivered today (by Chris at Kingpin games, HIGHLY recommend) and I wondered the same thing about the back glass and am having difficulty with the lock bar as well. I haven't messed around with it too much because I'm having too much fun playing. The only other issue I had was my siren topper makes a grinding noise sometimes when it spins. I'll open it up and look at it tomorrow.

This game definitely has me playing "one more game," over and over again.

#4787 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I used two small pieces of sticky back weather strip to provide cushion for the backglass. Glad you're enjoying the game!
The rock tumbler beacon is on mine too. I just turn off the beacon on attract mode.

Ha, rock tumbler is a good description of the noise. Is this pretty normal for TNA? Did you ever take a look at it the siren?

The game is super fun and addictive.

1 week later
#4843 1 year ago

I've had my game for a week and am loving it so far. It's actually crazy fun in a one pin collection (though I think it would be perfect in a 2-3 pin collection). I'll leave it on when I'm home and every time I pass it I say I'll play just one game and before you know it I've played ten. Last night I had a blast just shooting orbits and working on regaining control not even worrying about progressing in the game. The game does have an unfortunate tendency to reveal how bad I am at pinball, but the games are over so quickly that the sting doesn't last too long.

The music and light show live up to billing too and just makes for a great pure pinball experience. Great job Spooky and Scott Danesi!

#4855 1 year ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I did not mess with the fan or screen for that does not bother me. However, the shaker is a must and will enhance the gameplay greatly.

I'm embarrassed to say I hardly even know what's on the LCD screen as I can't look up at all while playing, at any rate it seems fine but I'm not very visually discerning. The fan struck me as very loud at first and considered replacing but for some reason I have to listen for it now to notice it, so I'm passing on that for now.

You guys did get me to order the shaker though -- I will say that sometimes I miss when I actually destroy the reactor in the midst of the chaos so I'm hopeful the shaker will add some drama to the moment.

#4890 1 year ago

Hmm, I have pretty much the exact same discoloration in the same spot. I received mine about two weeks ago.

#4910 1 year ago

Installed the shaker today and its wife approved. I'm pretty shocked how much she loves the game. she keeps bringing it up to people and is constantly trying to get her friends to play. I was worried it would be too intense for her. So fun to play a few games head to head followed by co-op mode.

I second the kudos to chris at kingpin games. A great buying experience.

#4916 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I have been buying games for 7 years. I think my wife has played each game exactly one time. Sad. My daughter isn't into it either, so it's usually me in the basement solo.

Well, we will see how long it lasts, but she did just text me an image of her high score on the game so she's still pretty into it. Sort of surreal actually.

#4921 1 year ago

In watching TNA gameplay videos I notice a lot of players short plunge to a live catch with the right flipper. Currently, when I short plunge it hits the top of the right sling 95% of the time. I try to slap the machine as it's coming down but this rarely seems to do anything (game is on a carpet with 6.5 pitch if that matters). Is this pretty common or should I adjust the lean of my game?

#4924 1 year ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

The top arch can be tweaked so both orbits deliver the ball as desired. There’s a nut under the playfield which, when loosened, allows the metal arch/orbit exits to be adjusted slightly. Tighten it down to test, repeat until you dig the delivery.

Gracias!

1 week later
#4969 1 year ago

So I upgraded the code yesterday and my right sling shot went kind of crazy -- I read through this thread and saw others had the issue so I installed the beta code and it's a lot better. It still fires too many times occasionally, but at this point I think it's not that big of a deal (it never did this before updating the code). Also, I could swear that the scoop was firing down the middle more after updating the code -- enough to be really annoying (losing the ten second ball save mainly), but this seemed better after going to the beta code. I'm assuming the scoop behavior is coincidental or did something in the code change that could affect this?

Dumb question -- is there a way to not save a high score on the leader board? My wife got to put her initials in after the code reset and frankly I'd rather have the high score board just be for her. Is there a cancel somewhere or would turning off the game work best if I did get a high score?

#4989 1 year ago

So recently the reactor scoop has become much more difficult to hit for me, I'm just getting tons of rejects. I used to feel pretty comfortable backhanding the scoop, but now the rejects are so bad I don't even bother with the backhand and just risk it with the right flipper. I just turned the flipper power down to 25 and I can definitely hit the scoop more, but is this kind of cheating? It seems like it might make the whole game easier by slowing things down. Has anyone else lowered the flipper strength?

1 week later
#5015 1 year ago

Probably not too useful for most -- but after updating the code my right lower sling started firing like crazy so I applied the beta and it got better. It still definitely fired too much though and then last night it started machine gunning (I got some great scores!) so I took a look and sure enough one of the leaf switch gaps was pretty narrow so I opened the gap a bit and now it works great. It seemed like the new code just revealed that my leaf switch gap was too narrow rather than the code itself causing the problem. At least it seems like that in my case.

#5108 1 year ago
Quoted from cletus:

I don’t even own TNA, but I follow this thread and all Spooky developments in hopes that someday I can afford to own one. I keep picking up project pins as I really enjoy the opposite of the NIB experience... the broken cabinet experience.
I’m just afraid that prices will rise once these are no longer in production and everyone else realizes how great this game is. I’m lucky to have one on route near me.

As an owner I'd love for the prices to rise, but I think you'll be able to get good deals on these in the future. It's a little bit of a niche game and on the hard side which wears some people out. I'm not sure it will be more valuable than, say a HUO Stern of the same time frame even though it cost about $400 more NIB.

It is an awesome game though.

#5118 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

So Stern sent me a completely new populated playfield to replace my ghostbusters one. A friend had their cabinet replaced.
In my view the reason I want to know more is to be sure that the problem isn't going to get any worse. Eric- who are you working for these days?

It's not like Stern gave those things out like candy. Read the ghostbuster thread and you'll see lots of agony -- some waited a year for a new playfield with constant nagging of Stern. Wasn't there a thread by someone here who had a particularly hard time and was threatening legal action against Stern? And this was for something in the middle of the play field that couldn't be covered by a washer in most cases. Now maybe you have a decent amount of pull with Stern or your distributor does because of all the machines you have. Anyone have any pictures of these play fields with the posts still in so we can see what the damage looks like with the play field populated? With the Washers in? Have you shown us pictures of yours yet Neil (just curious, I tried to go back and look. Not trying to be snarky at all)?

By the way I love your streams -- your streams and forum posts helped convince me to get a BM66 and I love it! Thanks for the effort you put into it, really nice quality and nice to see someone play the games that's not a top 100 player or something.

#5155 1 year ago

The one bug that effects me more than every once in a while is no ball saver on the scoop during multiball. It's not a wonderful feeling to have two balls in play and watch one go out an out lane and the other being fired straight down the middle from the scoop. Maybe this isn't a bug though?

I'd also love the option to increase the ball saver from the scoop up a notch (one more second even). Sometimes it hangs around in the trough just enough before draining where I don't get the ball save. It's not so much how often this happens as the paranoia I feel ever time scoops goes into the trough now. Again, definitely fine as is -- just slightly annoying in a pinball way when it happens.

2 weeks later
#5247 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Looks like it has some of the star post damage. Is this pretty common with a lot of them? Don't want to freak out if most of them are having this issue.

I think a lot of them have the issue and I think it's pretty contained and covered by the washer fix (either through spooky or amazon). Personally, I think it's very minor and doesn't detract from the pin at all whose main strength is the fast game play/sound and light show. As far as I know, no ones has had the damage spread either.

#5260 1 year ago

The only thing I don't like about the new code update is the lack of ball save from the scoop on multiball (I'm pretty sure it's this code update, I might be really wrong about this though). I've had a lot of good games (well, at least two) squashed by this (scoop firing down the middle and while another ball goes down the outlane). Now in reality I simul-drain multiballs all the time for a million other reasons so the scoop is the least of my concern, but psychologically it is a bummer when it happens. All to stop an exploit I'm too dumb to take advantage of anyway. If I didn't play a lot of co-op I'd be tempted to roll back because of this. Also, the new update will definitely let you know if your sling switches are too close -- I had to widen one of them to stop it from firing too much after the update. I haven't had any tilt issues, but I have the earplug mod so I don't know if that affects the issue.

Anyway, I'm actually loving mine more than when I first got it. I had some crazy thoughts of selling it to help fund a POTC last week, but I'm glad I didn't as I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this pin and play it more now than when I first got it. Nothing quite like the tension this game produces when needing to hit a shot to get a later reactor (outside of the D target. I wouldn't call that tension -- more like angry futility ). I feel like I'm finally getting a little better at the game too. Mostly because I'm finally starting to move the ball save lane around more effectively. I just love that a lot of the strategic decisions in this game happen when everything is going a million miles an hour. I make so many dumb moves in the heat of battle.

I know I've said this before, but the skill shots and plunging in general in this game are a work of genius. The plunge is definitely a very important shot in this game. Nothing like having to make a delicate plunge to the reactor core right before the game auto plunges it to oblivion. So fun.

#5262 1 year ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

No ball save in mb is an old update and a huge exploit if it was left in. I feel your pain though.

Well, I’m glad I didn’t roll back then

2 weeks later
#5358 1 year ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Does anyone ever consider it being a concern when few games were made - such as this one - and you keep seeing them pop up for sale?
Probably not? I mean there could be a 1,000 reasons someone wants to sell something and I would assume it’s only because they want something else more.

I have noted this as well and it kind of concerned me at first but I think there are a few reasons. The game is definitely unique and is not a journey pin, you do see most of what the pin offers in a very short period of time compared to some of the deeper games. Also, there was a bit of FOMO going on with this pin when the end of the run was announced which probably got a few people buying the machine that might have thought twice about it and passed if they didn't feel rushed to make a decision. Also, the game is hard and can be frustrating at times. This makes it a very tempting pin to move on from when the next new shiny is available.

Hell, I thought about selling mine to help fund a Pirates but then I realized that I've played the game every day since I've owned it. Objectively I think I like my BM66 more, I'm almost positive I'll own my BM66 well after I sell TNA but I simply play my TNA a lot more than my BM66 and I've owned it a month longer. I'm not any less thrilled to down reactors now than I was when I first got the game. I get just as angry when I have a bad run of games. In other words I'm definitely not bored. It's just intense pinball fun every game (maybe too intense sometimes).

I'll still probably sell my TNA at some point being that I only have a two pin collection and my whole plan was to rotate pins out somewhat fast over the next couple of years but I worry it will be a mistake. Also, even if I sell it and take the big NIB resale loss I'll feel like I got my money's worth out of it (about 1300 plays so far).

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say don't worry about it It also will go great with a longer playing game like Pirates.

#5360 1 year ago

Sorry about that, Fear of Missing Out. Sort of like the Pirates situation -- it suddenly became much more desirable when the run was limited.

2 weeks later
#5397 1 year ago

Hi all,

I tried searching this thread and I'm not sure I found anything that matches the issue I'm having (I'm sure I missed it). I'm having a lot of instances lately of having two balls locked, then when I hit the first drop target the ball behind it successfully hits second drop target releasing the ball behind it but the first drop target never goes down so I have two balls resting against the first drop target and have to hit it again to get multiball. Is this just a sensitivity issue with the first drop target? Anyone know how to adjust it to correct this?

#5400 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

This can happen if you don't hit the first drop squarely. If you hit it on the (usually the right side) edge, it has a newton ball effect where the first ball will bounce back and hit the second drop, but the first drop still stays up. It also might be an issue where the drop target "bricks," when the drop target flexes when the ball hits it, but doesn't drop.
You can check the mechanism to see if the target is binding anywhere. Try dropping it and resetting it by hand. If you can do this easily, then your mech is working ok.

Thanks guys,

Yeah its always happened on non-square or soft hits before but it was relatively rare and pretty obvious that it was the quality of the strike that was the cause. There's definitely been a change in the last 70 games or so (I've put about 1100 on the game) and it's hard to go a game without it happening at least once and I'm at the point where my urge to play has dropped drastically because of it. The game was definitely hard enough for me before this started happening, so I'll do some more testing and maybe look at the mechanism or maybe god forbid the flipper power.

Thanks again for the help, I'll report back if I find anything out for future reference.

1 month later
#5570 11 months ago
Quoted from ramsfan:

Hey all, first absolutely LOVE this game. I did want to mention that when playing today with my youngest in Co-Op mode, we had two balls locked, and then she hit the first target (which should release the multi ball), BUT what happened is the first target did not drop, but there was enough power that the ball behind the first target dropped the second target, which dropped the second locked ball down to the first drop target with the first locked ball, and nothing released.
I thought I saw a few posts about this, but am not clear on the fix.

Welcome to my world It started happening almost every game for me, so I adjusted the pitch to be slightly less steep and now it happens a lot less --still more than it did the first few months of owning the pin but tolerable now. Hopefully, there's a more technical fix out there somewhere.

I still really have a good time playing this pin. I took a couple of weeks off from it and it refreshed my enjoyment of the game again. It's a great game to play in ten minute chunks of time and still feel like you got tons of pinball action in.

1 month later
#5737 10 months ago

Highest reactor destroyed? I've destroyed reactor five twice, but the last time was a couple of months ago and I fear I'm getting worse. I think five will be my reactor record to the end of time.

#5739 10 months ago

Awesome. Yeah, I'm terrible at the lane changes for the ball saves. The worst is when I try to move it from the far right to the far left with three flips instead of going the other way with one flip (if that makes sense) -- I do this all the time. All I want is that bloody extra ball on the sixth reactor and I can die happy, but it's going to take one of those crazy lucky games to get it because I definitely lack the skill.

Quoted from McSquid:

Oh is it flex time? OK I'll bite.
Keep at it and find the strategy that work for you. Learn the safest ways to make all the important shots. Practice your lane saves. You can get 6!
[quoted image]

5 months later
#6227 5 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Right orbit is makable. For consistency, cradle the ball first, flip off the tip. Definitely agree that it’s tough... but you’ll get there!
Right orbit, on my machine is key for getting the ball down the middle two upper lanes... otherwise, the ball seems to drain into the scoop without firing any slings.

I'm sure it's slightly different for every game, but it was tough but make-able on my machine as well. I really improved my orbit shot by playing a bunch of games where all I tried to do was hit the orbits. I went from terrible to just bad doing this (then, a month after practicing I went back to terrible again).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Eugene, OR
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside