(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guitarded.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9636 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Imagine if a musician got a guitar and refused to ride it hard. Tweak it, make it yours…

I have seen 59 Les Pauls people did that to...yeesh.

#9655 1 year ago

I'm in.

At last.

#9657 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Did you just order one? If so what number did you get?

No. I traded for one from the original run. Been wanting one for far too long.

1 week later
#9745 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is there an official “upgrade kit”? I want the 2.0 package, but I haven’t had time to figure out all of the parts

At one point I thought Scott mentioned putting together a kit to do the lit Drop Targets, but I haven't seen it listed on Pinball Life.
I'd love a kit for that and for the speaker lighting. Flipper buttons, too.

#9762 1 year ago
Quoted from tectonyc:

Guessing the amp shouldnt be set to full power? This is how it came from factory.

If it was shipped, odds are real good the settings shifted on the ride.

#9840 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:I still hear a slight squeal and I’m wondering if I should be using a different tape other than electrical to prevent further interference?

Insulated Electric Tape would be better than plain old electrical Tape.

#9905 1 year ago

Hey Scott. Where can I order a backboard Plastic? Mine looks like it met a few balls when someone lifted the hood. Would like to get a clean and shiny new one.

Thanks.

#9924 1 year ago
Quoted from pinthewin:

I think with the apron someone screwed up and they didn't notice until the parts came in, so they shipped it as-is. It looks sloppy and unfinished, especially for a "collectors edition". The 3D-printed piece is an okay fix.

The Original is not much better, honestly. Covers just over 1/2 of the rail on the right edge of the PF.

Quoted from zermeno68:

This photo was posted 2 years ago... Check out the shooter lane piece. I think it still has the same problem as we are experiencing now. To me this is not a new issue.

Yep.

#9925 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Let's if this person will be making more. I'll buy one.

Would love an RGB one. Always look at that shooter gauge piece and wonder what cool stuff could be done there.

#9951 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I am still shocked that this many people liked this crazy idea I had for a pinball machine

I am shocked at how slow all my other machines feel after I play TNA for a few days!

Merry Christmas to you and RHG. Hope you and the family had a great day.

#10027 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I bet this game is a blast with a decent pinwoofer setup

It doesn't need one. It has an amazing sound system built in.

AND it has a Jukebox Mode that plays the soundtrack and other tracks from Scott's catalog.

#10099 1 year ago
Quoted from namyzzo:

I noticed another issue. Screw missing. There is an imprint from the head in the material - so I guess there was one in there at sometime. But I searched HI-and-LOW inside the cabinet = and I cannot find it yet

Check the magnet on your speaker carefully. They do a great job of collecting missing hardware.

#10139 1 year ago

Dead Flip Discipline has been my best strategy to date on TNA. Panic Flipping kills you.

It's a lot like Flash Gordon that way.

As far as the Target Bank goes, as I am setup right now, the Right Flipper is the safest way to pick those off.

My biggest problem is getting into the scoop. It is not hungry on my machine.

#10157 1 year ago

It's the Butthurt Flipper!

Everybody wave to the Butthurt Flipper!

*Waves*

Hi Butthurt Flipper!

#10185 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Simple things such as the sling mechanisms being mounted in the completely wrong place is unacceptable, the backglasses looking completely terrible and they just shipped them anyway. Things like that are just a sign of a company that DGAF.

That doesn't explain why they worked so hard to replace them for everyone. Pretty much incongruous with your premise of them not giving a fuck.

There would have been equal to greater uproar if they delayed shipping until all new glass arrived.

I get being frustrated, but asserting that they DGAF is bullshit.

#10240 1 year ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I think it’s the new computer where you’ll be able to play Jupiter Lander on the video screen.

You are assuming that you don't get immediately eaten by a Grue.

1 week later
#10345 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

So, call me crazy… why buy the cassette over the vinyl??

Vinyl don't fit in your back pocket.

Also, my Dragon doesn't know what to do with an LP.

I need to talk Scott into sending me a copy of a System of Parts.

#10349 1 year ago

Yeah...that rivet should be below the contact line of the ball. That rubber looks like it is peaking out a bit and getting worn.

#10352 1 year ago

Pull the plastic and see if you can loosen the fastener for the rail and move it out a touch. IF it is maxed out, then try loosening the star post a tiny bit and see if you can move it just enough to clear.

BUT, before doing either, make sure that rail is 90 degrees to the PF. If it is over 90, bend it back to square and check for clearance before making the previous adjustments.

Other option would be a slightly smaller rubber that won't have as proud a profile.

Shouldn't really be a tough fix at all.

#10363 1 year ago

There are 2 Wood Screws and 2 Nuts holding the Plastic above the pop bumper on.

Remove them.

Look down at the Pf, behind the ball guide. You will see some hex head wood screws holding the guide to the PF.
BEFORE loosening these, make sure the guide is sitting at NO MORE than 90 degrees from the PF Surface.

IF at 90 (or less), loose the Hex Screws and see if you can move the rail 'In' towards the center of the PF. Loosen the last one and the one adjacent to it a bit as well.

BE CAREFUL not to scratch the PF when doing this. A small bit of upward force while to adjust the rail will keep this from happening.

(Make more sense now?)

If it is over 90, bend it to 90 or just a hair inside that, might be enough to get the clearance you need.

#10370 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

Can't you get one on Pinball life?

Sure. But it wouldn't mean nearly as much.

2 months later
#10751 1 year ago
Quoted from negz:

I'm planning to replace the whole coil. I put in an order for two spares as soon as the flipper died, figuring I'd need them sooner or later. I'm not phased by the $15 or whatever it was I paid for the replacement, and it gives me a good reason to learn to replace a coil.

Once you get it replaced, good time to learn to repair the old one to have a spare for your spare.

1 week later
#10857 1 year ago

Anyone know where you can source the brass colored finger that triggers the drops?
I have had 2-3 break on my TNA and don't want to have to buy a full drop target assembly to get that goofy actuator.

Thanks.

#10859 1 year ago

Damn! That looks fantastic. If I had room for another on my machine, I'd be hounding you for one!

#10877 1 year ago

Quick question for Scott or anyone else who knows:

The Arm / Finger that trips the drops. Is it the L or the R version in TNA?

Thanks

#10885 1 year ago

Here is my list of crappy things about TNA:

Nobody knows the Lore or the Backstory;

Who is that girl?
Doesn't she know how to parallel park a tank?
Why are her glasses upside down?
Doesn't that strap chafe?

#10894 1 year ago

Installed speaker light kit today and noticed my gates up top aren't functioning now. What did I screw up?

#10898 1 year ago

Thanks.

Will snap some photos when I open it back up tomorrow and dick with it a bit.

#10918 1 year ago

Does the collar on the power knob turn. It looks kinda indexed in the photo...

#10932 1 year ago
IMG_20230423_181349904_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230423_181349904_HDR (resized).jpg
#10937 1 year ago
Quoted from namyzzo:

So, have you discovered what the issue is?

Yes. Thanks for the help. Turns out one pin wasn't making good contact. Just had to remove/reseat the wire in the connector and plug it back in.

#10956 12 months ago

Would love more info on the replacement controller. Link would be even sweeter.

Glad you got it workingproperly, looks great.

1 week later
#10981 11 months ago

Had some people over last night and someone fired up a 4 Player game on my TNA.
At Player 4, the Machine lost track of scoring - P3 was flashing, but screen said P4. No Scoring, though. Machine never caught up after that. No scoring at all.

Power cycled and now the game will not stop booting.

Ideas?

#10984 11 months ago
Quoted from namyzzo:

me just being curious - are you running the newest code already? Had the game been on for a long time / heated up? Any weird boot error messages?

Not on newest code. I can't update / download code here.

It's got whatever version was on it when I grabbed it. Machine wasn't on for more than an hour or so.
But it was the first time anyone tried to start up a 4 player game on this one since i have had it.

I will go through it this afternoon to see if it is something physical and keep an eye on the optos and their connections. Thanks for the tip.

#10985 11 months ago

Reseating all the opto connections got me out of the Boot Cycle.

No scoring, though.

EDIT : Disconnected and reconnected everything in the backbox. Back to working properly now. Weird as nothing was obviously loose or unplugged. But running properly now. Thanks for mentioning the Optos re. Booting Cycle. That was definitely an issue.

#10987 11 months ago

The scoring displays were locked into the Test / Strobe effect.

After disconnecting and reconnecting all the wiring in the backbox, everything went back to normal.

Thanks again.

1 week later
#11046 11 months ago

All good! Yeah, looking back on it, if I had put EOS switches on the game, it would have saved me a bunch of hours of programming. But it all turned out amazing in the end.

How do I fix knockdowns? My Right Flipper (Brand New Coil) suffers terribly from knockdowns on incoming/multiple ball strikes.

#11056 11 months ago

Thanks Scott. You da man.

#11068 11 months ago

Probably just slight things. Nothing crazy.

--Scott

Can we get a 'Triple Ramp Scoring' Mystery Award?

1 month later
#11184 10 months ago
Quoted from nephasth:

There isn't an active Pinside sales ad for any machine within 400 miles of me.

There are a decent number of pins in Montana and we aren't too far for you.
Next time you are looking for something PM me. I know a bunch of collectors and a few operators with big collections. And getting machines to Billings isn't hard.

2 weeks later
#11233 9 months ago

Still having non-stop issues with my center drop in the drop target bank.
New coil and adjusting the trip mech doesn't help for more than a few games. Then it won't drop once a ball is behind it.

Is it possible this is just fatigue (Fold Over piece that sets on the moving plate) and replacing the entire sub-assembly is the only answer?

Fixed the opto issue on the front drop. That was the left rail not being set deep enough and obstructing the opto signal path. Now that is out of the way and the Front Drop is no longer starting the Ball Check Feature.

Missing having this one in the lineup...it's my favorite dick kicker.

#11235 9 months ago

Oh man, I think I know what is happening here. The little finger on the knockdown coil is most likely fatigued. You may need to replace the knockdown assembly on that drop target. We started making these out of stainless steel at PBL to make sure that this never happens again. If you do not have the stainless version, and you never adjusted it, it will be fine forever, but if it was adjusted a few times, it could become weak and start falling out of adjustment by itself.
Here is the whole asssembly: https://www.pinballlife.com/drop-target-knockdown-assembly-left.html
Here is just the bracket in case you wanted to save some cash and swap all of it over yourself: https://www.pinballlife.com/stainless-steel-drop-target-frame-eyelet-assembly-left.html
--Scott

Thanks Scott.

I have some new brass fingers here...but swapping them out didn't help.
It seems like on this mech it's that Square Finger that folds over the plate on the backside of the slave coil.
It opens up a bit after a few plays and the coil doesn't get full throw. Not the easiest thing to adjust and I am sure numerous adjustments over time have fatigued that thing.
If the brass activation fingers had a slot instead of holes on the base for mounting, I could cheat them forward a bit and maybe get by with an adjustment at the base rather than the tip of the finger.

EDIT: Was able to pull a plate off another Drop Slave Assembly and replace the tired one. I also added a new finger that I gave a tiny bend to the base of to extend the throw. 3 Games in and so far so good.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on this Scott. Will add that improved piece to my cart for my next order.

-G

#11243 9 months ago

Precision Halos on mine. Would not go back to stock flippers.

#11261 9 months ago

>>So recently, each time I power up game, the above sequence occurs. No credit dot, but I got a "Drop Target 1 Down Error".

Check that your ball guides / rails in the lock area aren't disrupting your signal path. Have fixed 2 now that had rails that sat too proud and barely allowed the optos to communicate.

Few adjustments with the ol' trusty Estwing fixed that issue pretty quickly.

#11265 9 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

with bozo flippers you are having to turn the power down

No. You do not.

You can, if you choose to. And like with the factory flippers, it will take longer before fade develops once you do.

But they do nothing but improve play. You obviously haven't used them on any machines or you would know that already. It is simply a better design, mechanically and in material.

#11267 9 months ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

To avoid bullet air balls breaking plastics, I reduced coil settings between 25 to 33%.

I have them on Rick and Morty and 4-5 other machines. Airballs can be adjusted out, no problem. Haven't had any issues with my R&M. In fact, I have been able to reduce the airballs I was getting.

To each their own. But I have nothing but good results using them and the only machine I have powered down on is my Tron. Those ramps are tough to replace and the design lends to them cracking even with the stock flippers. Low play HUO machine and I don't plan on keeping it here much longer. So, I dropped the power on that one.

#11269 9 months ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the scoop shoot to the right flipper more consistently? Mine does about 40% of the time. Been getting more sporadic recently.

Someone posted a hack with a piece of Velcro tape that reportedly helps. It's in the last page or two (link to the original post).

#11271 9 months ago

Ah...I was reading 'eject' as 'reject'. Must need more coffee.

For the feed from the scoop I would service that mech and make sure everything in there is fresh and snug. I know mine gets a bit random when I have been playing long sessions. I haven't dug into servicing the mech though as the Ball Save keeps it fair imo.

1 month later
#11387 7 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

It's a great game, why wouldn't it be well supported?

It's ok.
I like the pretty colors.
But.
The ramp shots are impossible to hit.

2 months later
#11543 5 months ago
Quoted from JoeF:I had the same problem, take plastic off and firmly press down ball guide rails on each side.

With a hammer. Worked a charm on my machine.

1 week later
#11610 5 months ago

If you guys have not seen this yet, ComboChuck just started a really cool Youtube channel and featured TNA as his first game overview video. I think he did an amazing job capturing the game. Let's show him some love.

Great Vid.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

If there is a game that doesn't need precision flippers its TNA (although I really don't know of any game that needs them).

None NEED them.

But all the machines I have them in benefit from having them.

#11613 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

maybe the player benefits. I seriously doubt the machine does!

You must not understand Physics.

It's ok. Not everyone has a brain for that sort of shit.

#11615 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so I ended up more focused on mechanical engineering and maths. English was my other weakness but fortunately we have that in common.

Maths?

You are adorable.

#11617 5 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

They take less energy, so produce less heat and less expansion in the mech making flipper fade a reduced effect.

We don't need them, but they make the game more enjoyable to play.

This guy gets it.

#11636 5 months ago
Quoted from SeikoKid:

Thanks, There is no binding. I did fit a new sleeve with the new coil I had binding prior to fitting the precision when the game got warm, Johns flippers come with machined bushings and they work exceptionally well. The issue has only come around some time after I altered the EOS switch to act as a return spring. Speaking with my guys over here and also with Spooky today it is looking like the control board has a power output issue or there is a loose connection on the punching. Thing is the spring asset I've made does not affect the left side at all. And all parties are saying that it shouldn't have any effect on flipper stroke either and I agree - the electromagnetic power is superior to the resistance of a leaf spring
The return pressure on the flipper is highlighting the intermittent power loss issue on the right flipper. The power output is set to standard - Im getting a new power control board sent over and will report back

Please do. I have this exact same issue. *Right flipper only. Knockdowns on any fast ball and during multiball.

*Edited*

1 week later
#11668 4 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Only other issue to tackle is one of the screws in the left flipper bushing snapped... phillips head isn't there... so it's a bit floppy. Guess I'll have to tap or drill it out.

You can usually pull the flipper plate and back it out from the back end on those screws. Either with a vise grip or by using a dremel to make a slot for a regular screwdriver.
They sit pretty proud on the bottom of the plate.

#11677 4 months ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Not sure if it’s because I’m on the new beta code but since the install my drop targets will sometimes randomly reset in attract mode even though they were already all in the proper up position to begin with. By reset I mean target 1 will just drop followed by 2, then 3 then they all reset to the up position. This has not happened during gameplay and there is no error (no credit dot) so I’m a little confused (and relieved haha). I guess I’ll lift the table and see if the connector is loose or if something is off with the first target.

Check the height of the Ball Guides in the Lock Area.
I chased this problem on my machine for a while and here, it turned out to be one of my ball guides sitting proud/high and breaking the opto path.

3 weeks later
#11732 4 months ago
Quoted from SeikoKid:

Your not missing anything

I ended up with a Butter cab TNA.

There is definitely a difference to the Butter v Non Butter Spooky Cabs. Doesn't add to gameplay, of course.
But, the cabinet looks more like furniture than a pinball machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guitarded.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.