(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Reminds me of playing endless hours of Tunnels of Doom back in the day

OMG Tunnels of Doom! My brother and i played that all the time when we were younger. In fact, i got him a TI99 and Tunnels of Doom for his b-day a few years ago. Since i didn't have a cassette deck for it, i rigged up an mp3 player to 'play' the data to make the game work!

Anyways, back to the TNA excitement-fest! Please keep sending pics and reviews and everything! I can't wait to get one for my collection!

1 week later
#670 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I have to sell my TNA spot of #189 for the cost of my deposit $1000.00 USD. I will take Paypal payment. PM me if interested.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Hope everything works out ok for you. Hopefully you can join the club once the dust settles.

1 month later
#1149 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I guess I need to be 'in' on this one, I don't get it

I believe the original TNA was made using some parts/cab of a Dolly Parton machine...

1 month later
#1930 6 years ago

I was just thinking the other day about the use of the 1's digit as a counter for the # of reactors destroyed...such a cool idea! Then i was thinking, it's inevitable that one day that single point will make someone the winner in a ridiculously close game. Then i noticed the scores you happened to catch in that pic :

_20180319_113438.JPG_20180319_113438.JPG

#1932 6 years ago

Ahhh, well that makes sense! So even though it is cooperative there can still be a 'winner' in the end. Co-op is a super cool feature in it's own right! Can't wait to finally play some TNA at Pinfest!

1 week later
#2023 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

A fog mod would be fun with a large blast on each reactor destruction.

It would look really cool with the beacon light going, there would be red beams of light visible in the fog! That could be a cool light show in it's own right. It could also provide an added level of difficulty--playing through the smoke of destruction from the recently destroyed reactor!

1 week later
#2168 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Totally stumped where ball 4 could hide?

Under one of the slingshots? Not sure where else it could be!

#2178 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Any ideas on why my left scoop would stop working? Wires intact. Was working fine at first. Just got the pin within the last week.

Have you tugged on the wires to be sure they're on tight? Also, not sure if the coils have diodes on them, but if they do, make sure it's connected tight on that coil also. Beyond that, check the coil for resistance with a dmm. I don't have a tna (yet) but that's the stuff I'd start checking first. Are there schematics available?

#2179 6 years ago

Also, if the coil's power is daisy-chained from another coil, check any other coils in it's circuit and look for a loose or broken-off wire.

#2202 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

All of the wires seem very intact with some pretty generous tugging. Where to look next?

Looking at the chart Kingpin posted, I'd track down the J11 connector on the solenoid boards re-seat it. It looks like there's 2 boards that handle the coils (shown on the chart at least), so there may be 2 J11's. I'd reseat both to be sure. For reference, here's the board(s) you'll be looking for: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4754

2 weeks later
#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

When I read the reviews, I just see the only real negative comments being about repetitive play and single-player mode fun-factor?

I think a lot of people saying that prefer 'deep' games--games that can have pretty long ball times (compared to TNA and many late 70's/early 80's SS games). The street-level layout and lack of many modes and toys leads people to assume it has little replay value outside competitive play. My collection is primarily early SS games. I play them myself quite often, and i sometimes prefer to bc i can start another game right away after getting my ass handed to me.

As always, it's really gonna boil down to what kind of pinball you enjoy playing solo. Deeper games are great for solo play because they have goals that may take 15-20+ minutes to reach. Consequently, those games can be poor choices for multiplayer since a good player may have a 5+ minute long ball, which i often find results in less engaged opponents (they might just start a game on another machine or start playing with their phone etc)...

Quicker SS games typically have much shorter ball times (many have no ball save either, contributing to those short ball times), which i think tends to keep people more active in multiplayer games. Short ball times = everybody plays more frequently. That, coupled with rule sets that are easy to grasp, makes competition (and even spectatorship) more enjoyable for everyone, including non pinheads.

Does that mean TNA is only a good multiplayer and LOTR (as an extreme example of a deep game) is only good solo? Of course not. It's all a matter of taste. I love my SS games and TNA is the first NIB i plan on buying bc i love that style of gameplay. I wound up with primarily SS games in my collection because i could never afford the higher-priced deeper games. In result i wound up finding a greater appreciation for older, easy to learn/hard to master type games. Now that i can afford a deeper game, I'm going with TNA bc it's deep for a SS-style game. I expect it'll be great for solo play bc i can challenge myself to blow up all 9 reactors. It'll be great for competitive & cooperative multiplayer too (based on feedback I've read so far).

So ultimately, it's a lifestyle choice.

#2463 5 years ago

Finally got to play my first game of TNA at Pinfest today! Must have been a bit of beginners luck, cuz i had quite a bit of multiball. My first impression is that I *need* to join this club asap! Really tempted to put down a deposit...

(I was so excited to get my pic next to it after the game was over, i almost forgot to enter my initials for #3 high score! )

199921373.png199921373.png

3 weeks later
#2781 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I've played a lot of TNA and ACNC in person. Both are adequately and well lit. Neither game is dark, overly bright, or oddly colored in a way that makes tracking the ball anything but simple. You can move on from that and start looking for another nit to pick.

My friends and I played them both at Pinfest and visibility was not an issue in the least. I really don't get why they insist on making such a fuss over this. Nobody else has an issue with the visibility on the playfield. Maybe their vision's going on them and they're in denial about it? Really seems like a weird thing to rag on about when nobody else has mentioned even a small problem with it.

2 months later
#3370 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is there any simple way to fix a stationary target that has a loose stack?

If the switch is riveted to the mounting bracket: I'd take the switch out of the game, drill out the rivets, and then install screws and nuts where the rivets were. You should be able to get them very tight so the target won't move.

1 month later
#3471 5 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Anyone else have a drop target 3 down error? The target drops just fine during game play but if the game tries to drop it, the solenoid goes off for it but the target doesn’t drop. Solutions?

I'd check the spring on the drop target assembly, maybe it came off somehow? Also check for any binding when the target moves up and down.

2 months later
#3853 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Anyone have to debug a TNA that won’t finish booting? Any pointers for me to try and get preliminary info for Spooky? No docs = no fun. , especially on a holiday week.

First thing i would suggest doing would be to unplug and re-plug the various connectors to the power supply and circuit boards. (With the power off, of course)

Did this problem just start happening recently?

2 months later
#4679 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…

There's plenty of good choices out there, but these work fine for me. I have a pair in my home tools and my work tools.

https://m.harborfreight.com/7-inch-wire-stripper-with-cutter-98410.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

1 week later
#4746 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Is production complete? I just got notice from Kayte that my TNT #549 is being boxed this week.

Wow! Has the game officially sold out of spots on the reserve list? I thought they were doing 550 games for now, though i could be mistaken.

1 week later
#4817 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Wooh!
[quoted image]

i knew this day would come! That ones digit was gonna decide a game sooner or later!

#4854 5 years ago

Agreed on the shaker. It's *so* well implemented on this game! I've always had a lukewarm kind of attitude toward shakers generally, but it's a must on this game. You'll see why once you get it!

3 weeks later
#4990 5 years ago

Have you tried adjusting the scoop as recommended in this thread? Sounds like a common problem for this game.

1 week later
#5014 5 years ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

I've noticed that on the newer runs, the graphics are designed to wrap around the posts rather than running under them. I've got 6-700 plays on mine now with the updated playfield graphics and so far I've had no issues.

Which production number is your TNA?

1 month later
#5323 4 years ago

That was one of those moments i always *wish* i was recording. Awesome save!

1 month later
#5555 4 years ago

Are they tightened down enough? I think another poster here at the club was having the same problem even with the washers. After cranking the new replacement posts down a bit tighter (he admitted he was trying to avoid over-tightening after first installing the washers), i believe the problem went away.

#5557 4 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I will try that. Makes sense because the washers raise the sling rubber just a bit. That allows space for the ball to hit the post instead of the rubber?

Hard to say! I think the other guy was theorizing that it was allowing the post to move too much, causing chipping around the bottom of the posts... Though i think you may be onto something with your theory.

1 month later
#5776 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Genuine question, does vinyl make sense when the entire production chain was digital?

I honestly think it's the coolest package to receive music on, whether the music itself it was originally recorded digital or analog. Sound quality is obviously not taking center-stage, but most new vinyl that can be purchased these days includes an mp3 download as well, so you often get the best of both worlds, imo. I love hanging my favorite record sleeves on the walls (there's square frames specifically for just that), so there's that reason too.

I think in this case it also has that retro appeal i think the game is going for. So it may not make sense from a sound-quality perspective, but it does have a coolness factor that i can't deny though. I guarantee I'd be buying a copy on vinyl if Scott made it happen. If for no other reason than to support him while getting something very cool in return.

7 months later
#6578 4 years ago

Maybe that could be a mystery award - "add beep"?!

1 month later
#6816 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you have a son... and that son almost never plays pinball... and he asks to play pinball with you out of the blue... drop whatever you're doing and play with him.
I felt kinda bad since he ended up sitting and watching a lot, but he did join in on the celebration.
First time starting reactor 7, and man, it's getting tough to keep heating that thing up at that point.
[quoted image]

That's great! You guys ever play co-op? I find it makes for even more spirited 'shared celebration'

3 months later
#7103 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Also, there is that new setting to turn off the backbox LED light during gameplay. I think this is awesome as it really enhances the lightshows. I did not even realize the backbox was causing so much glare on my glass until I added this.

I don't even own a TNA (yet), but I'm consistently excited by all the features and polish this game continues to get. This is a perfect example--a simple tweak that can make a drastic difference for the player. Great stuff, man! I'm even *more* excited to own a TNA someday.

1 week later
#7158 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

It seems like the last time I looked this title was bringing $5K in the HUO market, and now I look in the Pinside Classifieds Archive and that number has grown by $1K. What did I miss?

As someone who's been watching the market for TNA since it was released, i think the games eventually wound up in the hands of folks that realize what an awesome game it is. Just like any new release, some people will give it a try and put it back on the market after a couple months (where it was fairly regular to see them changing hands at first). As evidenced by some of the discussions I've seen on pinside--the game is definitely not for everyone. At this point, TNA has been around for a couple years and many of those types of transactions already took place.

It's also worth noting that the game still continues to get attention from it's designer, who has found ways to make the game even better. RGB lit drop targets, RGB LCDs, regular code updates, even more lighting tweaks and options. It's become a cult classic for good reason, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's value has gone up because more people are finding out how awesome a game it is. With a run of 550, it seems possible that many are in the hands of folks who have no intention of selling anytime soon. I know when i get mine someday it'll be a keeper in my collection.

Good luck on the hunt! It'll be worth it.

3 weeks later
#7242 3 years ago

Fwiw, a pinsider and pf restoration expert Ron Kruzman sells a "playfield prep" kit with various drill bits and other useful tools for making pf swaps easier/less risky. I don't think there's any site to order them from, as far as i know you just have to contact him directly for the kit. I've been following a couple pf swap threads and folks there were talking about it, said it works well. I have a couple pf swaps coming up and I'm planning on ordering a kit in preparation for them.

Good luck, TNA def looks a bit more involved than a lot of pfs out there.

11 months later
#7974 2 years ago

TNA is one of those games that really needs to be experienced in person to fully appreciate. The light show, the music, the action--for me it's a game that consistently gets the adrenaline pumping. Congrats on the pickup, it's the last game I need to "complete" my collection...

10 months later
#8655 1 year ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

All the current owners should be happy to get a boost in resale value.

The simultaneous sting of being priced out of a new one and a used one at the same time

I was in for a new one at $7500, doesn't even look like that will cover a used original now, lol!

Love the game though, and I'll still be trying to find a way to get one in my collection...though it's likely to involve a 3-for-1 trade or something crazy like that.

Glad to see more in circulation, at very least! To those who are stepping up to own one of these: congrats!

Edit: I'll admit, I was probably being too optimistic they'd release it that cheap. Just hard watching the values on all these games shoot up so quickly though

5 months later
#10490 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I traded it and got a Rush premium.

Congrats on your Rush, but zebpin61 has a very good suggestion: make absolutely certain to follow the Node 10 fiasco thread. Pinsider Peak-Pin did some terrific detective work and sorted out an issue many Prem/LE owners were running into. It's doesn't even look like that difficult a fix to perform...

Especially after all the QC issues you've been having with this game, it would really suck to dive right into another series of headaches with your new acquisition.

Sorry TNA didn't work out for you in the end, but glad you were able to get it fixed!

9 months later
#11659 4 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

one of the ribbon cables was routed so it was actually in the path of a coil which when fired, was pinching the cable and doing damage (see attached pictures)

Damn, good catch!

2 months later
#11841 70 days ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Shit. I'm happy if I make it to #3.

For real!

Jesder do you play in tourneys? Sounds like you’ve got some serious chops, lol!

3 weeks later
#11889 49 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

haven't adjusted the leaf switches yet as I don't currently have the tool. Working on that)

In case you haven't ordered the tool yet, i highly recommend the one pinball life is offering. It has 2 different angles/orientations that cover most common situations you'll encounter trying to get a proper adjustment without having to remove the switch from the playfield. https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.