(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2004 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This flyer magically appeared on my arcade wall of every flyer of every machine I own, have owned, or will own.
Guess it only means one thing. TNA incoming

that's a cool idea.

4 weeks later
#2364 6 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

The problem with getting on the list is this. Getting on it today puts you in fall. You pay 1000 bucks today and then because of the way the world works one shows up for sale tomorrow and now you are in a great dilemma. Lose the 1000 or wait even though there’s one available

That's my problem too - I want to get in line but you know the way this place works. One min later there is a TNA for sale. I just missed one two weeks ago selling his spot in line. Would have been all over that!

1 week later
#2490 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

What are people using for fanless supplies?

and can someone do a play by play on replacing?

2 weeks later
#2680 5 years ago

Guys I heard the girl in the game is Scarlett. Is she based on someone (her look) or completely ficticious?

#2682 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Go to a local show and you just might see her walking around.

Is it true that she is based off of his wife? Or was that just a joke?

#2739 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

RATING TNA MODS
I thought it would be fun to pull together a list of mods (and game additions) and rate them, if nothing but to help awaiting owners and future buyers decide what they might want to add to their games at the factor OR have waiting at home before their game is delivered. Just about 5 months ago, I told a few friends that "I was done dropping money on mods." That was – apparently – the kiss of death, because buying TNA has opened up the mod buying floodgates (in a great way, mind you). That isn't to say that every mod is necessary. But some, I believe, are essential to enhancing the game experience. I had quite a few installed at the factory, which was painlessly handled by my distributor Joe Newhart / pinballstar . Normally I'd just do it myself, but the fees were so low, it was easy to just have Spooky do the work. So, here it goes:
1) Shaker (Rating = 5/5)

I pre-purchased the shaker and had it sent to Spooky for installation at the factory. Cost was $99 plus shipping and few extra bucks to install (I believe Spooky charged $25 for shaker and knocker install together). Integration into the game is fantastic, adding a nice tactile touch gameplay moments such as a low elongated rumble as the machine awaits a player to heat the reactor up, and a massive shake when a reactor is destroyed (the latter of which is nice because a blown reactor can get lost in chaos of multiball... it's nice to have feedback that doesn't require looking at the LCD or listening for a call out). While the machine's powerful bass notes add some rumble, the shaker is a must have addition IMO. Buy it.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4705
2) Upgrade LCD (Rating = 5/5)

My only disappoint with TNA (out of the box) was rather lackluster LCD screen performance. To put it lightly, the stock screen has poor off-axis viewing that leads to washed out colors and bad contrast. Blacks look like grays and the rest of the visual performance suffers. Much thanks to@audihere who originally posted the parts necessary to upgrade to a better LCD experience, I took the plunge and purchased a new screen
(ebay.com link » Lg Philips Lp156wf1 Tl B2 Replacement Laptop Lcd Screen 15 6 Led Lp156wf1 Tlb2
and driver board (ebay.com link » Hdmi Dvi Vga Audio Controller Board For 15 6 B156hw01 Lp156wf1 1920x1080 Lcd
for a total investment of a tad over $100. I did have a few hiccups (the first screen shipped to me was DOA), but got everything worked out and the new screen is literally a night and day difference. Significantly deeper blacks and infinitely better saturation lend to graphics that look great and are easy to see. Pinks literally pop off the screen and important in-game information is much easier to read.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the old versus new. I realize a camera image isn't the best way to convey this, but focus on the "A" in the upper left corner of the cassette tape.

Charlie at Spooky already addressed the screen issue (if you can call it that) by saying that Spooky had to purchase a screen that was available in large quantities. And, while the stock screen still gets information across, the upgraded screen is IMO an absolute must and it's easy to install. All you need is the new screen and driver board, a nut driver, small and large phillips screw drivers, electrical tape, and a comfort level with making wire connections. Of course, proceed at your own risk.
This is my top mod.
3) Rail Lights (Rating 3.5/5)

TNA rail lights are sold by Hooked on Pinball (https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p115/Total-Nuclear-Annihilation-TNA-Side-Rail-Illumination-Kit-Pinball-Mod) and cost $105 plus shipping. They're super easy to install and look fantastic. They plug into an existing board located inside the back of the cabinet. If you're into bling, they're a must have...since they don't enhance game play, I only give them a 3.5/5. I'd buy them again, though... they look GREAT in person.
4) Mirror Blades aka Melt Down Mirrors (3.5/5)

Much like the Rail Lights, these custom blades (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4787) cost $70 and can be installed at the factory. I went the factory route and Spooky provided a flawless installation. I happen to be a big blade fan, but they aren't absolutely necessary to gameplay experience. They do, however, enhance the spaciousness of the playfield and the game's masterful lighting.
I initially had ordered the interior art blades... switched to mirror blades once they became available. Glad I did.
5) Speaker Lights/Grill Covers (3.5/5)

I purchased the lights/grills direct from Spooky and had them installed at the factory for $95 flat. Grills look great and the lights are integrated and interactive with the game's lighting, turning off/on and changing colors to reflect what's happening during game play. Very happy with the lights. Would purchase again. The lights are bumped down a tiny bit because they are directly visible and can be slightly harsh to the eye (seeing the individual LEDs)... but...
6) Light Diffusor (5/5)

LED OCD's speaker light "Frosted Spacer" is just what the doctor ordered (http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=34) for making the game's unique speaker lights an enhanced experience. Installation requires dropping down the speaker/LCD panel and removing both speakers. You then remove two factory spacers and add the Frosted spacer. Voila! Instant smooth lighting. It takes away the harshness of direct LED viewing and creates a ringed glow. And for $15 plus shipping... it's an inexpensive mod that delivers as promised. It's a must buy if you go the light route.
7) Sac Rack (2.5/5)

The Sac Rack (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4706) is a total necessity if you're betting on games. It's a total non-necessity if you're not. It's design is great though and it's cheap $14.99 plus shipping (and you get 4 golden sacs with it). Huge shoutout to trilogybeer. Tip of the cap and I thank you, sir. I owe you one!!
8 ) Real Knocker (3/5)

A real knocker costs $35+ shipping and I had Spooky install it at the factory. I happen to like the THWACK of a real knocker... not a total essential though. For me, a must have.
9) Plastic Protectors (3/5)

The ball on TNA can really get moving (especially if you crank coil power on the pop or slings)... so logic would say that plastic protectors are a smart move. I had Spooky install an entire plastic protector set at the factory for $35. They're unobtrusive, well made, and seem to be doing their job thus far (knock on wood). Are they 100% necessary? Unknown... but my gut is saying yes (especially if you plan on putting the game out in public).
10) flashinstinct Decals (4/5)

Flash has hit another home run with his TNA decal set. They're dirt cheap – $21 through Mezel Mods (https://mezelmods.com/collections/total-nuclear-annihilation-pinball-mods) – and add a little more flair to standup and drop targets, top of the pop, etc.

I like them... I'm hoping they hold up to the punishment of this game! So far, so good... but I'm expecting that the drop decals will wear over time. All in all, I like'm!!
11) Power Ball (5/5)

A week or so ago, mr68 glowingly posted about adding a single powerball and I liked the idea... you can read more complete thoughts about its impact, here (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/55#post-4417207). I'm a big fan. Right now, that powerball is staying! The only downside is that power balls aren't cheap. You're looking at $50+ from both Marco and Pinball Life. But, if you're a glutton for punishment and want to add an extra level of brutality to your pin, buy one.
______________________________________________________________________________________
This is by no means a definitive list... I'm sure there are a few other mods/alterations out there. Of course, there's always tweaking game settings which owners can do for free (for me, just putting the game into "Hard" mode introduced a few nuances that made game play more fun). If anyone has anything to add... fire away!

Wow great post. Look forward to referencing. Thanks. LCD seems like a must. Any soldering involved? Can you elaborate on wiring connections and how you did it

1 week later
#2805 5 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I just did the LCD screen swap. Super easy and only cost 100 bucks. Huge improvement!

this is sold out -

ebay.com link: HDMI DVI VGA Audio Controller Board For 15 6 B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 LCD

Any other option or what did you buy? I just bought the TV. For 100 seems like a no brainer.

EDIT - seems like this would work. 6 bucks more but from china.....

ebay.com link: HDMI DVI VGA Audio controller board for 15 6 034 B156HW01 LP156WF1 1920x1080 lcd

#2807 5 years ago

OK - thanks!

Seems like it's being shipped from China. How long did yours take to get to you?

#2808 5 years ago

For the hooked on pinball light up sides - I'm trying to determine what the game looks like without this mod but the stock photos seems to look like they're installed b/c the words seem pink/purple by default.

How much of a diff is this add on?

#2810 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

I got my LCD parts from Amazon. Basically the same price (a few bucks cheaper, maybe?), and guaranteed 2-day Delivery.
If somebody can double-check that these are the correct items, I would be grateful. I'd hate to post incorrect info!
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »

oh man that would be best - waiting for confirmation. Driver seems identical not sure on screen.

#2812 5 years ago

nothing beats prime though plus amazon return policy. Any thoughts on the prime links?

#2847 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Oh yeah.....you guys complaining about the fan being loud........you obviously have never been around WOZ in a home environment. Now THAT is a loud fan. TNA? Not so much!

I've owned a WoZ for sometime so interested to see how it compares.

#2906 5 years ago

Guys what level do you keep this game? Assuming it's not 6.5

#2952 5 years ago

Scott - first off, amazing job on this game. I still can't believe you not only designed this but also did the music. Without this soundtrack and effects I'm not sure it's at the level it is. Total package.

One question/suggestion - maybe in a future code update, you can give the player the option to mix the songs that are played during the nuclear reactor online part. Each reactor has it's own music however it's set (never changes) so you always here the same one for 1, 2, etc. For people that aren't good like me it would be nice to hear another song that might be locked away for 6,7, etc. Just a thought.

EDIT - as I typed this I'm thinking is the fact that I don't hear that new music actually driving me to play more so that I can hear it and if it was given to me randomly would I lose that drive? hmmmmmm.....damn it scott you might be a genius. haha

#2964 5 years ago

Can someone explain the ball save in general in this game and the levels you get and how?

#2966 5 years ago

is it possible to remove that topper and replace it with another dome or LED and if so, how does it attach? Is it a special screw (if so what)?

#2969 5 years ago

where can you buy speaker lights and covers if you don't get it at the factory or are they just offered at the factory and that's it?

EDIT - seems like you have to order from Spooky directly.

Question - if you can only upgrade the speakers or the Screen which one is worth it more?

#3036 5 years ago

Does the impact of the shaker effect during nuclear meltdown (before you hit the meltdown shot) change depending on something? For example - sometimes it's very intense while other times it isn't but still shaking however I've had it shake louder after hitting some more targets....anyone know the rule for shaker intensity during gameplay?

#3041 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Super spinners, pops, and critical reactor all have shaker effects. Blowing up a reactor has the most instense effect.

Agreed - but during critical reactor, it seems the effect can be weak and strong. Or are you guys always getting the same shaker effect for critical reactor everytime from start to finish?

#3064 5 years ago

so speaker kit will be installed soon - watching this install video the speakers seemed like a huge pain to install.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255687467

Anyone with experience want to break down what went wrong? Are there no holes in the front to mount the grilles?

#3076 5 years ago

so I installed the speaker lights - SUPER easy. The kit I got from Kayte was much better than that video - LEDs already on the replacement covers and it literally took 15 min or so.

I'm really impressed with the effects it makes however it does seem a little uneven (the light) - I'm about 6ft tall and i can mainly see the bottom of the leds. Is that what the difusser is expected to help and if so, is that hard to install?

btw - I have a lot of impressions of this game that I plan on sharing soon. Been playing it for a few weeks now.

#3091 5 years ago

make sure your game is level - mine wasn't at first and when I adjusted, the right orbit drained right to my flipper not hitting the right sling anymore

#3094 5 years ago

yeah I'm at 6.5. Game plays perfectly.

I added those decals from flash and the drop targets especially - it's like they came that way from the factory. Put all of them on except the red target ones. Liked the flat red. Got the point across enough.

#3100 5 years ago

Mine Match the color of the lights on the pf. Red def during meltdown and blue as well

#3146 5 years ago

So I've tweaked my TnA to basic perfection except for that damn scoop. I pushed it down a little and it helped but still way too many rejects. What is the trick to get the scoop to work better when shooting with the RIGHT flipper? Left seems OK. Right flipper dead on still gets rejected way too many times.

#3149 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Got my speaker lighting kit but not instructions.
Can someone post the picture of the tap in plugs.
Looks like the would go to the lower left board.

Here's what I received from kayte.....worked well:

TnA Speaker Kit Instructions (1) (resized).jpgTnA Speaker Kit Instructions (1) (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#3280 5 years ago

I'm pretty crazy with quality screens..... Don't replace the screen before you try. Make sure you adjust the settings and you'll be fine. Believe me.

4 years later
#10376 1 year ago

Random question - can you change the settings to allow for the music to be randomized or at least have the different tracks that are reserved for the reactor going off to play during general play (when it’s typically the main theme playing while trying to get those middle targets? Sometimes when you’re in the reactor mode and then destroying it, the play is pretty quick and before you know it you’re back to a new reactor with the main theme being played again

This game for sure has the best original music in modern pinball

#10378 1 year ago

Bummer.

What’s funny is that I’ve been playing it on vr vpx and I was able to randomize the songs and it’sa great feature. Too bad real thing can’t do the same.

7 months later
#11384 7 months ago

So about to join the club for the second time. CE. I love that pop bumper mod from hooked so grabbing that. Didn’t see mirror blades though - any info on where to get those?

1 week later
#11395 7 months ago

So I now have a CE code is 1.5. Song #2 I swear changed from what I’ve heard in the past (when nuclear reactor is ready to blow - the song that plays). Then I played another game and song #2 was back to what I was expecting.

Does new code change up the songs now?

Also what is the best LED people are using to really light up that red dome?

#11398 7 months ago

dumb question of the day

are the coin door lights inside this game 6.3 or 12v like jjp?

1 week later
#11415 7 months ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Meltdown Mirrors are finally back! So glad these exist again, I ended up scratching my current set.
https://www.pinballlife.com/total-nuclear-annihilation-meltdown-mirrors.html

Any chance these mirrors would not allow that green hue that comes off of the blue inner side art? Mine has that side art and the green plastic protectors hitting that blue looks so cool.

Curious to see what these look like installed.

#11419 7 months ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

I posted a picture of mine with mirrors about a month ago. Honeslty they are hard to see. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. Would you mind taking the player angle shot (looking over the pf)? I’ll take a pic of what I’m talking about on mine when I get back - I love how there is a green glow across the blue inner art.

Scott you mentioned this actually in a podcast with pinball party - saying you weren’t expecting the green plastic protectors to look so good but out blended real well with the blue light since high frequency. I rather not lose that with mirrors although I’ma mirrors guy!

1 month later
#11537 5 months ago

Got to reactor 9 and almost beat it……almost.

Owning this for a second time, I now know why music isn’t random and the way it’s setup really is great. I still can’t believe one person created this game. Scott - you are truly talented! Music, effects and that light show……great game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.