(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1946 6 years ago

I had never seen or played a TNA before TPF. To be honest, I didn't understand what all the fuss was over - no modes, no ramps, no toys, minimal cab/playfield artwork. But yet - all my friends that had one kept telling me how awesome it was. Heck - Bryan Kelly actually owns *2* TNAs!

On TPF Thursday night, some friends introduced my son and I to Scott. Scott is a super cool guy and spent a full 20 minutes walking us through the ruleset and features of the game. After a couple of games, I finally get it. It's frustrating, yet addictive. It shoots like butter and allows you to consistently make shots if you have the skills...and consistently fail if you don't. It has great visual feedback and audio feedback as well. But here's why I love the game - it's the first pinball I've played that makes me *want* to become better at pinball. My son came to TPF with virtually no pinball skills - but he left TPF knowing how to do dead passes, post passes, flick passes and multiball cradles. Finally, after 13 years - my son is starting to love pinball and learn the skills to play better.

My son purchased a translite and we were fortunate enough to have everyone involved in the game sign it at Spooky's booth.

Thanks Scott for an amazing game - I hope to be owning one of these very soon.

IMG_0843 (resized).JPGIMG_0843 (resized).JPG

IMG_0827 (resized).JPGIMG_0827 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2031 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's weird that Scott created his game, and wrote all the music for it, made the music a huge part of the theme — every reactor has a fully custom song, the music even interacts with the shooter lane — and people want to ask him to let them take it out and replace with their own music. Stop and think for a moment, if this was your game, and you spent 2 years making it all work together, would you be flattered when someone asked you to let them take your music out? I wouldn't be.
Scott is my friend, so of course I want to stand up for him, but I'm really speaking about what it's like to be a creator in a community. People can 'suggest' things in pretty insulting ways. Probably they don't mean to be, but that doesn't really change that fact that they are. Try and have some respect for how hard someone worked for this.
It's fun to customize pins. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, a lot of people have changed their games with my translites. You bought the game, I consider it yours to do with as you like. But take charge of it yourself in a personal way, and don't ask the creator to do the work for you.
Sometimes suggestions are rude, it's okay to call that out. It's how we learn.

My TNA is next to my Tron, they're a good pairing. Also both good pins for new players, easy to understand. TNA especially, I'm teaching a lot of people to play that I never bothered to show my pins before.

I wouldn't want to change the music....but maybe an option to randomize the reactor songs would be nice. That way I'll actually be able to hear the music for reactors 5,6,7,8,9 in my lifetime.

#2038 6 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

The music is on Spotify and iTunes. You can hear it anytime you want regardless of skill. I’ve only heard the fourth reactor on the game but enjoyed the rest in my car.

Yes - I purchased all of the songs on iTunes so at least I have heard the others....just never from the pinball itself.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Co-OP mode has solved that for you

Haha - that's how I'm able to hear 3 & 4.

3 weeks later
#2349 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Not on a plastic but this one took a surprising amount of "nudging" and a warning to get undone.

Lol - your odds of winning the lottery are probably better than landing that.

#2356 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I know the feeling.

Ok Billy Mitchell...I'm gonna need a video before I acknowledge this one is legit.

1 month later
#2953 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Scott - first off, amazing job on this game. I still can't believe you not only designed this but also did the music. Without this soundtrack and effects I'm not sure it's at the level it is. Total package.
One question/suggestion - maybe in a future code update, you can give the player the option to mix the songs that are played during the nuclear reactor online part. Each reactor has it's own music however it's set (never changes) so you always here the same one for 1, 2, etc. For people that aren't good like me it would be nice to hear another song that might be locked away for 6,7, etc. Just a thought.
EDIT - as I typed this I'm thinking is the fact that I don't hear that new music actually driving me to play more so that I can hear it and if it was given to me randomly would I lose that drive? hmmmmmm.....damn it scott you might be a genius. haha

The full soundtrack is also available on Amazon and iTunes. I purchased it to ensure I could at least experience reactor 5/6/7 music somewhere (as I'll rarely if ever hear it from the game).

4 months later
#3695 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

If someone has another solution to protect this area please let me know. Already losing paint on the playfield.

Can you post a pic?

1 month later
#4128 5 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I own #299, right around 400 games played with no wear/paint loss. About 100 games in, I tightened some star post scews as some had gotten loose.
I could not be happier with this purchase. Still get a boner each time I walk up to play it.

What date was yours made?

#4166 5 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

you now have toe buy the ghost light kit for the hinge, on sale for $10.00 off at pinball life

I didn’t find these when I searched PBL.

Quoted from gliebig:

Fancy flippers buttons are shweet.[quoted image]

Pink or purple? Where did you buy them from?

Did anyone splurge for the rather expensive power accessory board from PBL or is everyone just using lots of splitters?

#4171 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Hooked is the only place I know of that sells the lit side rails and hinges.
--Scott

...and are out of stock in the hinge lights.

1 week later
#4261 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Just a heads up, those washers are back in stock with prime for $6.66 (or less if you want to wait a month). amazon.com link »

The ones that I purchased are similar - but were a 20 pack:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00843U5WS

I have the black neoprene from Spooky. The clear ones I ordered are identical width, but about 2x thicker (2mm). They both feel about the same "squishy"-ness.

FYI - the 40 pack ones are even thicker at 2.5mm.

1 week later
#4338 5 years ago

Love this. Are you plugging 1 and putting the recessed port in the other?
--Scott

Scott - JP is finally in the club!

Quick question - there are 4 wires heading into the sub box. Are there simply 2 voice coils on the sub?

If I wanted to hook up an external sub instead of the internal one, I assume either pair would work as speaker level inputs on the external sub?

75BBCD3E-2804-4128-B181-9E435ADA998B (resized).jpeg75BBCD3E-2804-4128-B181-9E435ADA998B (resized).jpeg

#4378 5 years ago

Found the logic issue on reactor 3 stalling out in the latest Beta code! I also think I tracked down the extra ball kicking out issue that only happens on a few machines.
New Beta code is up (v1.3.0.b10)! Just a friendly reminder, please keep in mind this beta version of the software is a work in progress and it may have some minor issues. If you install this and see any issues, please use the form at the bottom of the Beta Code Zone on my website to let me know what happened to the best of your knowledge. You can always revert back to the latest Production code if needed.
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=1724
Thanks guys and gals!
--Scott

The new flipper hold strength is fantastic - I noticed it immediately. Just that change alone is worth updating for. Thanks Scott!

#4388 5 years ago

Argh! I got bit by the beta bug on our best coop game ever. Reactor 4 online, multiball, ball inside the reactor working towards critical - got it to 86 and everything froze - the flippers and solenoids quit working, but the music continued to play. Here is a screen pic of the game frozen:

50AF6F68-6085-455B-AB6F-76C07F2DC055 (resized).jpeg50AF6F68-6085-455B-AB6F-76C07F2DC055 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#4606 5 years ago
Quoted from MoreBeer:

There is just a single voice coil on the sub, Spooky doubled the wires to try to up the wire gauge. I replaced the wires with 12AWG, but the amp is the lowest common denominator for the bass. Do NOT try to use it to power a second sub. If you plan to use a powered sub, just split the 3.5mm audio going to the amp input into another set of RCAs and send those to line in on the other amp/sub for much better quality than using speaker level inputs.
I remember how impressed I was with the whitewood/prototype machine and how hard it hit at MGC surrounded by so much other noise and people. Scott, did you use the Lepai amp in your prototype game or something else?

I did end up disconnecting the internal sub and using speaker level inputs on an external sub - now the bass is soooooo much stronger and cleaner. It also eliminated a lot of rattling in the game as the internal sub no longer functions. It’s a huge improvement - highly recommended!

#4611 5 years ago
Quoted from spirou:

What external sub model are you using ?

Polk PSW125

#4624 5 years ago
Quoted from cjpins:

I think it’s an important part of the game. Everything should vibrate and it feels great !!! If you adjust it just right you won’t get any distortion or clipping. Just my two cents. Thanks for a fantastic game Scott no other game compares.

The game still vibrates plenty via the shaker using an external sub. I would encourage you to give the external sub a try and see if you still feel the same. Clipping/distortion aside, there really is a *big* difference in sound quality and output using the external sub.

#4625 5 years ago

FYI, here are the updated links for the LCD replacement (the ones in the initial post are sold out):

LCD:
ebay.com link: Lg Philips Lp156wf1 tl b2 Replacement LAPTOP LCD Screen 15 6 LED LP156WF1 TLB2

Controller:
ebay.com link: NT68676 HDMI DVI VGA LCD Controller Board for 15 6 1920X1080 LP156WF1 TLB2

The LCD is stateside, the controller comes from China (about 3 weeks of shipping time). I was pretty impressed with how much difference this made - the blacks are actually black instead of gray and everything is much cleaner and more vivid. Certainly worth it for $85.

#4629 5 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

How big a job was the LCD swap?

I’d say 20 minutes maybe - 4 screws to remove LCD, 4 screws in controller board, 4 tiny screws holding monitor to frame. The controller -> LCD cable seems fragile - just go slow and be gentle!

Quoted from Fytr:

Thanks for the updated links. I was just looking at this yesterday. I think I'm going to try the "tilt the monitor back a few degrees" idea first since with shipping to Canada things get a little more involved with the replacement approach.

I tried to tilt mine but it didn’t make much of a difference.

#4634 5 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

damonator - how did you go about hooking an external sub to your game, and are you running it in addition to, or in place of, the sub in the game cabinet?
Thanks!

All you need is a length of speaker wire. Unplug the 4 wires on the amp going to the internal sub. Plug the new speaker wire into one set of the terminals you just unplugged (you won’t use the other 2 terminals). Then run the other end to the external sub and plug into the speaker level inputs. I chose to run the wires through the power switch hole so I wouldn’t have to remove staples from the mesh covered ventilation holes - but either route gets the job done. Just be sure to unplug the game if you go through the power switch as there is live electricity in there regardless of the game being on or off.

1 year later
#6461 4 years ago

Beta is awesome...except my very small request to add a setting for randomizing the reactor tracks is still MIA. Or at least an option to randomize reactors 2-8?...leaving "Beepgate" for 1 and "Last Mission" intact for 9. *I'm assuming "Last Mission" is the track for 9....because I suck.

A default setting of "no" leaves the game as is for the purists..."yes" for those of us that like to shake things up!

#6485 4 years ago

Version 1.4.0.B8 Beta

Setting Mystery Tilt Warning Award -> OFF

Causes my game to reboot upon pressing the start button. No other settings have been altered. A factory reset or changing the setting to something other than OFF resolves the issue.

1 week later
#6591 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I personally think they are too dark but if you like them have at it!

I think they look good! I’m guessing he has the contrast lowered on his phone in order to not look too bright and washed out. LEDs are so hard to capture on tiny phone lenses.

2 years later
#8663 1 year ago

Most people's 1.0s have even more options than the 2.0s.

From 2.0 options, mine has:
Plastic Protectors
Knocker
Shaker
Custom Laser Cut Side Rails
Lit Speaker Kit and Grills
Lighted Drop Targets

Plus these:
RGB ball save display (is this not on 2.0?)
Lit side rails
LED front legs (pink)
LED shooter (pink)
LED undercab (pink)
LED flipper buttons (pink)
Upgraded IPS LCD
Factory mirror blades
Flash Instinct stickers
Upgraded pop bumper
External sub

It's a great game - I'm glad more people are able to get one!

#8669 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Can pinside add the 2.0 to the machine page so we can be specific for our list?

Not sure that makes sense - TNA 2.0 is a misnomer - it's not a different game, just a rerun.

#8671 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Aren’t they selling for 9k used? I think new for 9k isn’t bad?

Yea, I'll put money down that they sell out in less than 24 hours.

#8680 1 year ago

I don't think the people posting here are indicative of the actual buyers.

$50 (USD) - I'll take that bet. I win if it sells out in less than 24 hours, you win if it takes longer.

#8688 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I'm down, makes it a little more interesting either way. When's the sale start? Paypal cool?

Agree!

Sept 1 10am CST

PM me

#8699 1 year ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

PLUS they are driving up the market price for origin used ones. grrrrr.

Used TNAs in excellent condition have been $8-$9k in the market for a while - they would have been higher if not for the remake rumors.

Building more TNAs will actually keep the used prices down for a while.

But, at the end of the day - there will still only be 800 of them in the wild which is an extremely small number compared to other titles.

#8716 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

^That's speculation.^
Not all used TNAs have sold for over 8k
The median price based on sales is $6,500[quoted image]

Heh - median prices. If anyone wants to sell me their JPLE for median price, I'm a buyer!

jple (resized).pngjple (resized).png

A mean price using the previous year of sales would be more useful.

#8718 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

It would mean the median price is higher than the actual sale price median.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that.

When you sell a game, you can elect to enter the price sold - then decide if that amount is public or private. When the sale denotes "Amount Private", it means the sale price is in the Pinside DB, it's just not public. jdoz2 was just stating that they may be using the private amount to compute the median price (or maybe not - we don't know).

#8797 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Good thing it was only 50 bucks. Anyone know the number currently sold?

You underestimate the Aussies!

We never got an update after 100 - maybe 175?

1 week later
#8918 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not going to be deleted. It can be renamed, if necessary.

TNA 2.0 is what was listed on Spooky's website. Any official name changes will need to be either be indicated on their website, or communicated to us through an official Spooky Pinball representative.

You have the designer of the game saying it is the same game as the original, having a different listing makes no sense. It's a re-run of the same game!

Where's the separate listing for Batman LE, Batman SLE and Batman Catwoman? At least those have different art/translites.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=damonator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.