(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1398 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Congrats Spooky on selling over 300!

My money is on 420. Almost there. Might have to add another 1 in front.

#1400 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Question for owners: When my reactor is activated the right flipper stutters / jiggles. Similar to the flipper stutter on Dialed in. Is this part of gameplay?

Weird flipper stuff happening here also. My initial thoughts were exactly the same - is it intentional like Dialed In. Apparently its not. Did you end up correcting it?

#1436 6 years ago

How are the blow up reactor targets selected once you get to critical? Is it random? That lower left RAD target is a PIA for me.

#1441 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Is it the same for each player in tournament mode?

Exactly what I was thinking. Or at least same for each player in multiplayer. Big difference bowing up a reactor from the pop bumper or middle targets vs lower left RAD target.

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I’m thinking that being able to steal locks left over from the last player really negates the need to implement some sort of “uniform experience” by implementing a tournament mode.

Because leaving locks is the fault of the player. But then I guess being the next player and receiving those locks is a random award in a sense.

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Valid point... I hadn't played it enough to think about the Mystery award and was focusing on the random target for reactor completion. I tend to agree with you now and I'm sure we're going to see this more and more in tournaments in the future.

This game is made for serious competition, but I'm guessing the random awards, random reactor shot, multiball steal and the fact it ends after 9 reactors(actually an assumption since I haven't watched the kerins stream or got there myself) means it wouldn't be used at top level comps.

1 week later
#1618 6 years ago

Lock stealing is great for non competition play. But in competition, it’s the random nature of the benefit it gives the next player if somebody leaves locks. It’s like having random ball locks awarded from a mystery scoop.

No problem punishing the actual player for leaving locks, but it’s unfair to the other 2 players who do not benefit from that.

Edit: on a 2 player comp game it would be awesome.

#1620 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not at all like that though. There's nothing random about it, it's part of the risk/reward strategy choice of the player before you. I suppose you could have cases of collusion where one player tries to help the other, but that seems rather far fetched for pinball competition.
I play with competitive players. People like Bob Matthews and Jim Belsito. Nothing but respect for them and their skills and drive to compete. But tournament players can sometimes feel like they're sucking all the fun out of the game. Deal with the randomness, that's pinball. You still gotta play the game. Locking balls isn't particularly hard or risky, it's not something that breaks the game.

Agree it’s not particularly hard to lock, but if I happen to be the player after someone who has already locked both balls, I’ve basically been given multiball, whereas the other 2 players haven’t. So it’s like a random multiball reward. No different than an award from the mystery scoop, which competition organizers try to disable.

We’re talking about a user selectable mode here, not default settings. If your competition wants to leave it default then great. But I can see it being an issue, especially at top level play. Would be a shame if this game wasn’t played at that level as it deserves to be.

#1627 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Utterly different though really. Because what you're not accounting for is your own game. Yes, the player before you might have left locks. Now you're in the same position, and could leave locks for the next player. It's simply part of the game, locking balls comes with a certain risk. And every player has to factor that in, and it affects everyone.

Say it happens once in a 4 payer game. And you were lucky enough to be the following player. The multiball you got meant you could start the reactor, get it to critical and destroy it, as well as getting a few jackpots in the process. As a result you won the game.

That is pure luck that only benefited you. A mistake on the preceding players part gave you, and you only, a large benefit - probably more than any of the mystery awards. The other 2 players that were not LUCKY enough to be immediately after did not benefit. They were effectively punished. There was no strategy or skill on your part in receiving the gimme multiball.

If the 4 player game was deciding final places, some players might not be so happy. Others might not care. But a tournament is supposed to test all players SKILL on a level playing field (so to speak).

And multiball is vital in this game, particularly later on as the jackpots and reactor values grow and are multiplied by the amount of balls left in play. And even more so that you can add a ball.

Everyone seems so concerned about removing the random award and the random reactor destroy shot, yet don’t care about leaving the most valuable random award in the game.

In any case, we are talking about a menu option here. If you choose to leave it on default you can.

#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Can you say the same about the Powerball in TZ? If player 1 went through all the trouble of lighting gumball multiple times, and shooting the right orbit multiple times, finally gets the Powerball and drains with 2 balls already in regular Multiball lock (making the Powerball the only ball in the trough after a drain) and player 2 walks up and plunges the powerball, would that not be considered the same? The argument would then be to remove the Powerball since player 2 can potentially benefit from it without doing any real work. This is why i dont play competitively, because it completely takes any fun out of the game. You worry about games being "unfair" instead of enjoying it, as it was meant to be.

Exactly the same.

Not trying to argue whether comps are fun or not.

#1642 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Then that's pinball! Play Donkey Kong if you want a more predictable challenge.
This is my opinion on things like this:
There doesn't need to be an option to make games play the way some people want. There's already a thread where someone asked Scott to make it so the music could be replaced! That's ridiculous. Scott crafted an entire soundtrack from scratch, to match the game that he envisioned the way he wanted.
He wants lock stealing. If that bugs you as a TO then run games one player at a time (frankly I find that more interesting to watch for a fast game like this anyways), or, just don't use it at all. I don't think it's fair to expect game creators to change things because people ask them to.
It's a feature of the game design, it helps make it unique, there's no reason to argue that the creator should compromise and add an option that if turned on changes the character of the game he wants people to play.
My 2 cents, only opinion that really matters is Scott's.

Neither you or I can speak for Scott. I’m sure he doesn’t need anyone to stick up for him and I’m sure he’ll make his decision in the end. I’m not expecting him to change anything at all. Game is truly unique and special as it is. In all honesty I couldn’t care less if there is or isn’t a tournament setting.

But the idea of a tournament setting was raised in this thread. Seems reasonable to discuss it. Im sure Scott is not offended by it being discussed.

#1645 6 years ago

The use of ball saves on this game is brilliant.

#1715 6 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Damn “D” target is a killer.

Bane of my life. It’s almost a multiball only target that one.

Nice score.

#1716 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Just play the damn machine and enjoy it.

TNA is the first game I’m not putting any protectors on at all.

The game is the pared back, pure essesnce of Pinball. Changing it in any way seems fundamentally wrong. It deserves to age gracefully like a good early 80’s Bally Solid State.

#1727 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just sent deposit. Looks like I'm #337. Unless someone in the low 100's wants to switch with me.

Wow, #337. Momentum doesn't seem to be slowing.

#1740 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Anyone else having trouble with right flipper hold not being able to always resisting the kick out of the left scope? It will start to flutter. There is no EOS, which is how this is normally handled. Will increasing the flipper strength help?

Yes

As Toads sais, contact Spooky.

Edit: to clarify, increasing Flipper strength wont make a difference. You can increase Flipper Hold Strength in the settings, which will work, but my experience is the coils will eventually overheat and become weak. Spooky are working on it.

#1752 6 years ago

Just found proof that Scott is “evil”....not only are the reactors now slowly cooling down (which is brilliant) but on reactor 4, you can only shoot one side of the loop to access the reactor (ie. only one of the gates will stay closed). And which side is open alternates with hits to the pop bumper (which is evil in itself).

BTW, I’ve noticed that occasionally either of the top gates are closed (indicated by the pink lights at the loop entrances) allowing you to access the reactor and build up its value even if the reactor is not active. How do you qualify this? Number of hits to pop or number of loops?

#1758 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

BTW, I’ve noticed that occasionally either of the top gates are closed (indicated by the pink lights at the loop entrances) allowing you to access the reactor and build up its value even if the reactor is not active. How do you qualify this? Number of hits to pop or number of loops?

Anyone know how this is qualified?

#1766 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I think he is talking about when the reactor is not started. You can open the core entrance on either side by rolling over an inlane switch and the orbit will light for a few seconds on the opposite side. So you need to make a quick shot to the orbit and it will trap and drop the ball into the core.
--Scott

Thanks Scott. Love getting an answer directly from the designer.

Nice feature allowing you to build up reactor values without reactor being active. I guess it’s a less risky way to get the scoop also now I know how it works.

#1768 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just found proof that Scott is “evil”..

More proof....”tilt next player” award from mystery.

#1786 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Max I got to was reactor 4. :-/

That's not too bad for a game you just got. You know what happens once you get to 10 right?

Id be worried if you said you got to 7 or something already.

I'm at 5th reactor and about 4.4 Million at the moment and cant stop thinking about trying to beat it every day. Even to beat the score by 50000, or another reactor. You psych yourself up for it and have to concentrate or you have no chance. You think of different ways to exploit the rules to get there. You compare with other owners.

No way I want another "please the masses" flow fest. I want a game to fight.

#1793 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

On behalf of the staff at the restaurant/bar location where my TNA is at, I'd like to suggest perhaps a configuration to replace the giant bass drops at ball end with a really cool bonus meltdown sequence (still fast, but awesome) that might not be heard throughout the entire building due to the low frequencies.
The ball drops are great but everytime someone loses a ball you can hear it anywhere in the building, which is pretty disruptive in a publc venue that isn't just a barcade.

On behalf of everyone else, maybe your TNA is just at the wrong location.

1 week later
#1921 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

2. I'm officially mad at every other game for not giving me extra tilt warnings from the mystery awards.

Earning or winning extra tilt earnings is the best and most underrated award in Pinball. I know there’s a couple of other games that do it (jjp?), but have no idea why it’s not more common.

I’m thinking Stern discourages it’s use because they are worried about mistreatment if location games (since that is still a large part of their market). I still think it’s a lost opportunity that they don’t use it as a feature.

The best is earning Tilt warnings, like you earn add-a-ball, rather than from mystery.

I’d also love to see more games show the movement of the tilt-bob, by making the bob itself a more prominent part of the playfield/game, or video of it in the corner of the screen.

#1976 6 years ago

Highly recommend Hooked On Pinball’s lit side rails Flashinstincts decals:

D4766187-1AFA-4B9D-9776-4279EC4CE396 (resized).jpegD4766187-1AFA-4B9D-9776-4279EC4CE396 (resized).jpeg

3728A49C-C34F-41F8-BE15-4115AF621630 (resized).jpeg3728A49C-C34F-41F8-BE15-4115AF621630 (resized).jpeg

1DF0FD42-DB20-4602-A32F-59EA3AE7BE18 (resized).jpeg1DF0FD42-DB20-4602-A32F-59EA3AE7BE18 (resized).jpeg

72A68E8F-2A73-403D-A35E-7FBD9C3F4604 (resized).jpeg72A68E8F-2A73-403D-A35E-7FBD9C3F4604 (resized).jpeg

4D813D89-642A-4ABB-AE1C-4128B44A692D (resized).jpeg4D813D89-642A-4ABB-AE1C-4128B44A692D (resized).jpeg

FCBFDD18-B49B-4347-92D6-210E16C5A4DA (resized).jpegFCBFDD18-B49B-4347-92D6-210E16C5A4DA (resized).jpeg

#1980 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Nice, but looks like the best mod was getting a TNA added to that room!
Well done!

That’s just the overflow - supposed to be temporary but has been a couple of months now. Hoping my wife eventually gives up on this room like she did on the other one.

1 month later
#2359 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ok Billy Mitchell...I'm gonna need a video before I acknowledge this one is legit.

Apart from the un-likelyhood of 4 balls getting stuck trying to exit at the same time, the reactor is not even active. So what are the chances of getting all 4 balls up there at all?

#2433 5 years ago

It’s about the same as the new Sterns. Doesn’t worry me, but it’s definately noticeable when you’re not playing any games.

1 week later
#2585 5 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does anyone know what rubbers are used on TNA? Looking to buy a backup set as some of my rubber are starting to wear by the posts.
thanks.

There’s a set listing on Scott’s website:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwjXq_-yFIkouIl6ymJw9wfq6O8rOhnZ/view

You can buy the Pinball Life ones which are the same as original, or get some Titans.

66ED2A87-5BBE-4411-B426-A6406B6C2D8D (resized).jpeg66ED2A87-5BBE-4411-B426-A6406B6C2D8D (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#2788 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The wait is admittedly getting long. I'm all paid up, and ready to get the notice to pick up. #163 and I'm excited as all out, but it's just a tad frustrating at the same time. Keep at it Spooky! I'm trying to keep distracted with other machines but cant help but think about what I *could* be playing!

Let’s go glass half full here........think of this time as a kind of last ditch show of respect to the other games in your collection. Play all of them as much as possible before TNA arrives, because once it does you won’t be playing anything else.

1 week later
#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Anyone have issues with the tilt bob going nuts without player input? I tilted on reactor 4 destroy mode during 4 ball mb without nudging. I've filmed it dancing around for 2 minutes without touching the machine. I'm guessing the air pressure from the sub or a harmonic. Forgive me if already asked. Cool to witness but frustrating none the less.

There are posts somewhere in this thread I think of steps need to "normalise" the tilt - its a combo of physical fixes and software settings.

Edit: here it is - was in the “other” TNA thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/115#post-4348764

#2903 5 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

Wow - what a game.
FWIW my psu was set correctly for here in Australia and I was able to check with a small mirror and taking a photo of the reflection with my phone.
Does anyone else feel like they get more reactor chute rejects than they should? Any known tweaks for that?

Almost always rejects from the right flipper. Left Flipper about 50%. Now I mostly shoot into the reactor and drop in from the top side.

#2917 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

How is the wood looking on the outside of the scoop?

Mines holding up perfectly - no problems. Was thinking of lowering the scoop a fraction as suggested by Scott.

#2924 5 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

Do you have a link to where this was suggested and/or do know if the suggestion was to bend the scoop or lower the whole thing somehow?
-thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/55#post-4416259

1 month later
#3200 5 years ago

That's a Sam game and so it's fanless. My Spike games are as loud or louder than TNA. Neither worry me enough to swap power supplies, but if my games are on, I'm playing them.

#3202 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Good call.
The BM66 thread is the worst for this! Sticking different plastic pieces and cars everywhere are MUST HAVE MODS!! My bm66 has no mods at all, and it’s 100% sweet as it came out of the box
Just a bugbear of mine ...
rd

Only must have mod I’ve installed is bicycle girl light on my TWD Prem.

1 month later
#3422 5 years ago

Still waiting for some smart cookie to make some lit drop targets like the one you can get for WOZ.

4 years later
#8777 1 year ago

Congrats everyone. This will be my second TNA. Can’t wait to join the club again.

#8805 1 year ago
Quoted from Jesder:

This may be a silly question - but will the lighted side rails work fine with the 2.0 cabinet?
In terms of fit, I'm sure they would but I'm curious if the internals of the cabinet will have the same connection point to plug them in to for power.

Good question- apart from the cosmetics is this identical to the OG TNA?

#8808 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

How much $ was butter cabinet on Halloween and is it worth it on TNA?

The decals on OG TNA were beautiful and glossy. Since the artwork is pretty paired back, not sure if butter is worth it

Having said that I’m seriously considering it. Butter on my RnM was incredible, but that artwork away really colourful and detailed.

#8873 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Just got one power ball $40. Cliffy is two months out so get your orders in now. Doesn’t have his sons working at the moment.

Anyone know what happened to the guys that 3D printed the scoop protectors for Rush. Love Cliffy’s product but the protectors these guys were doing looked really promising. We’re they one and done on Rush?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.