(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4302 5 years ago
Quoted from MythMaker:

I agree with above. I can certainly abuse a game anytime, even if the game is turned off! I don't see the advantage here for the player to move the game while it is in the shooter lane. Honestly if anything they are likely to nudge the ball enough off the lane switch to start qualifying tilt warnings again anyways!!!
How did Stern and in the Past Williams / Bally deal with this same issue? I don't recall tilt through being an issue on modern games until TNA?

Definitely an issue. Just depends on how tight the tilt is. If you make a B/W game crazy tight, you’ll get tilt throughs for days. Zero debounce.

Same for modern sterns even. I played a TWD at LAX two years ago that gave me dangers in the shooter lane all the time.

#4321 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

Thanks. I'll try to compress the foam a number of times and see if this increases the hit sensitivity.

No. To increase the sensitivity you need to adjust the switch blades. Make it so the blades of the switch are very close together, but not touching. Then it takes less of a hit for the switch to register.

1 month later
#4689 5 years ago

I think we’re talking about two different things.

People missing the scoop

People hitting the scoop and it rejecting the shot.

For people in the latter camp, I think Scott suggested adjusting the roof on the scoop down a bit to help the ball stay in there when you shoot it.

#4716 5 years ago

Still fires out crazy fast too?

#4720 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Completely semantic question…is this technically cheating? Does this create a game that wouldn’t be valid for a tournament setting?
I am curious about how this works in the pinball scene. I understand that all players who played your machine would have the same benefit, thus nullifying any advantage. I just happened to wonder how mods like this work in the world of pinball “rules”.

Not cheating at all. It helps a made shot actually register.

No different than if you hit a ramp and the ball always flies off it. Need to adjust things so the ball stays on the ramp so you don’t get screwed for making a shot.

1 month later
2 weeks later
#5077 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Damn...I'm still stalled out at 5.

Same. Cannot get past 6.

#5079 5 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

ive only gotten to reactor 5...like once. Are you guys doing anything to make it easier ? adjustments to getting extra balls? are you on 3 ball play? or 5? any other adjustments? its just such an ass-kicker...which of course, it its appeal.

Stock all the way. I play the short plunge and live catch to the flipper for every plunge and after every lock. Get that down and you’ll start having more success.

#5081 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I have gotten pretty good at the secret skill shot, live catch and back handing the lock shot. I still can't master the soft plunge.
I am on factory settings, 3 balls. I did make sure to make the standups and upper slings as sensitive as possible, which helps.

Mastering the short plunge and the plunge that falls into the reactor is huge.

#5095 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I gotta know, who read that email exchange and thought, "I want to start a pinball company."?

Two thoughts:

I officially never want to start a pinball company.

Never spend your life savings on a pinball machine. It’s guaranteed to end badly.

#5162 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’ve heard of this, but I don’t understand how you use an earplug to help it swing correctly. I think the more logical move would to be lose these contraptions for a digital tilt sensor. There is no way that could be extremely costly to manufacture.

http://tiltforums.com/t/ear-plug-tilt-hack/2365

3 weeks later
#5269 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So your TNA now has training wheels ...

The game comes with silicone stock.

2 months later
#5524 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How do I adjust the slings?

Never had to adjust the slings in 15 years?!? Damn you’re lucky. Make the switch blades on the sling switch further apart. Makes them less sensitive, prevents machine gunning, and prevents this artifact (sticking) as Scott calls it.

But it sounds like from Robf’s Post, that might not help.

#5539 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

anyone have any suggestions on how to make the scoop more reliable?? my pitch is probably right around 6.2. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. looking for more of a deadpool style scoop reliability, if that makes any sense.

Search this topic for the word scoop. Should find lots of suggestions.

1 month later
#5687 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Is there anything you can adjust to make post passing possible, or is it a design feature?

Try regular rubber. Stock, this is a better game to alley pass on. But post passing is doable stock, just hard.

3 years later
#10008 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Perhaps joining this wing of the hobby was a mistake. My expectations appear to have been set too high.

Should’ve done a bit more research. Stern is really the only company that is fit for a first time pin owner. And even they need work out of the box sometimes.

Pinball ownership is a whole different ball game.

But the timing of these issues is extremely unfortunate for sure since everyone just has to wait for a couple weeks while their games are unplayable.

#10012 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wouldn't necessarily go this far, but I think it's not really far off. Buying a "boutique" game comes with more risks and knowledge checks, as well as the need for more patience.
But even with a Stern things happen. That's pinball.

There’s just so much more help out there for sterns.

But yeah, I wouldn’t recommend a NIB for a first game to anyone.

#10039 1 year ago

Put Mylar around the edge at least.

#10100 1 year ago
Quoted from namyzzo:

..So, being all up in the cabinet - I noticed another issue. Screw missing. There is an imprint from the head in the material - so I guess there was one in there at sometime. But I searched HI-and-LOW inside the cabinet = and I cannot find it yet
AJ is working on a few other things for me as well. (I hate that I have to "bother" someone about the issues, let alone experience the issue myself). From all these posts I see here - I don't know how they can keep up. I hope it's not normal for them - really hope they keep things moving smoothly for Scooby [quoted image]

Got to the hardware store and get another screw.

#10102 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Yup… when I first started pinball collecting, my first used machine had lots of missing screws.
Took a list of most frequent used acres and bought a crap extra pieces at Home Depot.
Always nice to have them handy in this case.

Titan pinball sells a “little box of calm”. It’s full of common screws, nuts and bolts. Very handy.

#10108 1 year ago

Hey if you want to wait for a screw from spooky, that’s cool. But you also said you felt bad bothering them about it since they seemed super busy (they are). So why not take something off their plate? Plus you won’t have to wait.

#10110 1 year ago

Just trying to help. Have a nice weekend!

1 week later
#10292 1 year ago

They seriously made the service outlet look like that? Haha

#10364 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm an actual nuclear technician who turns actual wrenches. I am not averse to working on something when I know what I'm doing and I also know when to back off when I don't. I'll do what Spooky recommends, and if they walk me through a repair, then fine, I'll do that. I'm more than willing to do what needs to be done, and I don't appreciate the implication that I'm otherwise. I'm sorry I don't have the experience you have.

I suggest this is the last NIB you get. They will all need tweaks out of the box. Some more involved than others. Just is what it is. You’ll avoid a lot of headaches if you operate like this.

Might have better luck buying second hand so someone else does all these tweaks for you.

#10411 1 year ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Question - 80% of the time when the ball enters the reactor - it doesn’t hit anything (regardless of lane) - usually it comes down and hits the bottom right corner of the area and just drops right to the scoop. Does anything need to be adjusted to make sure the ball gets some action up there? Very disappointing to make a super hard orbit shot for no payoff.
Game is perfectly level and at 6.5 degrees.

Make sure the slings are super sensitive.

#10430 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

I know I said I was done here, but since I solved my problem only with the help and advice of people here, I felt obligated to come back and describe in more detail what the problem was and how I fixed it. Also, I suspect that others may have the same problem and not even realize it, as I did not until recently, and this might help them.
The problem was this: When the ball comes down from the right orbit with high velocity, i.e., from the right orbit gate, the ball should feed the right flipper. When the ball comes down from the right orbit with low velocity, such as when the ball falls onto the PF from a short or soft plunge, the ball should hit the top of the right sling and bounce. This is by design. To quote damadczar , "On a slow rolling ball or a soft plunge, it should hit the top of the slings. That's why the ever popular right side nudge on a soft plunge became en vogue. If the ball is traveling fast around the loop it should go to the right flipper." TheNoTrashCougar replied, saying, "This is 100% correct for the record." Bowen Kerins explains it very well here, at 10:45: (this whole video is amazing, btw. I am now a Bowen Kerins fan)
My machine was not doing this. Very not doing this. On a slow ball from the right orbit, the ball on my machine would hit the rubber ring just south of the right metal orbit guide, bounce off of it, and not even come close to hitting the top of the right sling, as I showed in a previously posted video.
After "pulling the plastic" (look at me, learning pinball terminology), I could better see the real issue:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
As you can see, the edge of the orbit guide was impinging on the rubber ring and the ball. Additionally, the guide was twisted, as you can sort of see here:
[quoted image]
First, I put pressure on the guide to bend it and take the twist out of it. I could see that this was not enough to solve the problem, so I thought the post holding the end of the guide (where it is riveted) might have enough slop in the through-hole to move the post in a bit. I found the nut underneath and was able to move it slightly:
[quoted image]
This was still not enough to move the guide completely out of the way of the rubber, so I pulled out (toward the PF right edge) on the rubber ring post closest to the guide edge, moving the rubber out slightly. I also worked the rubber around to get the chewed-up part out of the way:
[quoted image]
All three of these actions helped, and it was better:
Minor adjustments were necessary to cause the ball to completely behave as it should, and I had to bend the guide back in a bit to get it "dialed in," as the young folk around here are fond of saying. (I understand there is a pinball machine by this name. Coincidence?? )
Big shout-outs to sataneatscheese, Oscilated, namyzzo, falcon950, TheNoTrashCougar, and everyone else who PMed me with great advice and encouragement. Honestly, I was just worried about screwing up my playfield -- breaking something off, wood splinters everywhere -- the imagination ran wild. And the fact that I had to bend, pry, and twist things on my brand new 9-grand toy put a bit of a knot in my stomach. But here we are.
And since I discovered today that my TNA is at only a 6 degree pitch, not 6.5 as it should be, now I just need my daughter's boyfriend, Buellxb12r, to come over here and get it even MORE dialed-in.
Max
PS Re-subscribed to the TNA club. I'M BACK BABEE

Nice work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.