(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blurfocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3519 5 years ago

When the reactor goes critical on my TNA, the shaker motor starts running and stays running until the reactor is destroyed. Is this how it should be behaving? Even though I have the shaker set to low intensity, it still rattles the back glass continuously until the reactor is destroyed. Is there a config setting to prevent the shaker from running due to a critical reactor without disabling the shaker altogether? I didn't see one...

I noticed that if I drain the ball while the reactor is critical, the shaker will not be running for the next ball even though the reactor is still critical.

The software version is 1.2.1 from 5/22/18.

thanks.

#3533 5 years ago

For anyone trying to estimate when their TNA will be ready, #308 was ready to ship on September 5, 2018.

2 weeks later
#3605 5 years ago

My TNA's right flipper is misbehaving. When the flipper is held in the up position, it can be knocked back down by a ball hitting the flipper, even when the ball doesn't hit it very hard.

For example, if I short plunge so that the ball nearly makes the upper lanes, so that the falls back down the right orbit - Then, the ball will be moving fast enough that it knocks down the right flipper when I am holding it up. If the ball is moving slower (e.g. due to a shorter plunge), then the flipper stays up when the ball hits it. This flipper collapse problem just started happening in the past day or two. The left flipper seems fine.

This TNA has only 119 games played and 364 balls played. It has version 1.2.1 of the software installed.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this or how to diagnose it?

Here is a link to an 11 second video showing the problem happening. I did not release the flipper button, but the flipper goes down when the ball hits it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q3cko1KvcD2EQrgz7

Thanks,
John Garnett

#3608 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Try going into the menu home settings,machine(standard) and lift up flipper hold boost level by one.

The flipper hold boost setting was on 2. I just now tried changing it to 3. That did improve it slightly, but the problem still occurs when the ball hits it hard. For example, the scoop ball eject will knock the right flipper down every time even with boost level at 3. Also, if I shoot the ball up the left orbit so that the ball comes all the way around and hits the raised right flipper, it will knock it down every time (even with boost = 3).

However, boost level 3 did keep the flipper from being knocked down due to a short-plunged ball (like was demo'd in the video I linked in my original post). Even in this case of a fairly slow ball, the flipper still gave a fraction of an inch before recovering to a fully raised position.

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,

John

#3609 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Check your end of stroke switch

From what I've read, the TNA flipper design doesn't use an EOS switch. Apparently, this is done via software. Here's a post mentioning this feature.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/15#post-4127094

-John

#3614 5 years ago
Quoted from blurfocus:

My TNA's right flipper is misbehaving. When the flipper is held in the up position, it can be knocked back down by a ball hitting the flipper, even when the ball doesn't hit it very hard.
For example, if I short plunge so that the ball nearly makes the upper lanes, so that the falls back down the right orbit - Then, the ball will be moving fast enough that it knocks down the right flipper when I am holding it up. If the ball is moving slower (e.g. due to a shorter plunge), then the flipper stays up when the ball hits it. This flipper collapse problem just started happening in the past day or two. The left flipper seems fine.
This TNA has only 119 games played and 364 balls played. It has version 1.2.1 of the software installed.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this or how to diagnose it?
Here is a link to an 11 second video showing the problem happening. I did not release the flipper button, but the flipper goes down when the ball hits it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q3cko1KvcD2EQrgz7
Thanks,
John Garnett

For anyone who has the same problem, the cause was a power wire that was detached from the flipper mechanism. The solder must have been weak. Strangely, the flipper still worked pretty well with that wire completely disconnected. The only symptom was weakness when a fast ball hit it.

After reconnecting that wire, the problem of the flipper collapsing stopped happening. Thanks to KingPinGames of Spooky support for spotting the problem from the a photo (attached here for anyone following along).

-John

tnaflippermech (resized).jpgtnaflippermech (resized).jpg
#3618 5 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

That looks like the laser was cutting on the wrong side of the material. My hinges look the same, but with the ghost it looks intentional to me, so I don't really care.
For all those "suffering" from the bad LCD quality, be sure to adjust the screen properly before buying new stuff and see if you can live with that:
I set it to:
Contrast 90
Brightness 35
Gamma on
instead of the factory default 50, 50, on. That helped quite a bit. And the washed out blacks are reduced significantly. The little grey that remains complement the 80ies graphics style. YMMV - by a lot

Where in the menus do I find the display's contrast, brightness, and gamma settings? Is that accomplished via the keypad board (with buttons) attached to the graphics board or is it somewhere in the operator menus?

Thanks.

1 year later
#6655 3 years ago

Occasionally, during a game, my TNA erroneously adds a new ball to the shooter lane and then auto plunges it. This happens when I am not in the middle of a multiball and when ball saver is not active. Sometimes, it happens multiple times consecutively, leading to as many as four balls being in play at once. Note, I do not hear or see anything special (such as "Ball Saved") when a ball is added in this way.

Twice, I've even seen this happen after the game is over. That is, sometimes a ball will be fed to the shooter lane and auto plunged even when a game is not running (the game is waiting for the Start button to be pressed).

Does anyone have suggestions on what could be causing this problem? How should I go about diagnosing and repairing this?

Thanks,
John

#6666 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Your jam opto is falsely triggering. Go into switch test and mess with the connectors for that opto on both ends to see where the issue is. You may have to re-punch an IDC or you can always replace the IDC connectors with Trifercon crimp terminals and housings. The issue is most likely on the power side (green PCB opto).

--Scott

Thanks for the detailed response. I tried this, but the switch test did not register anything other than the start button used to enter the test. I jiggled the wires near where they entered the IDCs on each end, but switch test stayed silent. I also made sure that the IDCs were seated firmly on both ends. I touched a few targets to make sure the test was working and it did register the targets.

When I start a game in debug mode and the ball drains, I do usually see the troughJam event appear. Is this expected?

For example:

Last Switch 1: shooter
Last Switch 2: trough3
Last Switch 3: trough2
Last Switch 4: trough1
Last Switch 5: trough4
Last Switch 6: troughJam

After the switch tests, I did see this problem occur again while playing a game with the debug screen up, but I couldn't look in time to see the events before new events occurred scrolling everything off the display.

Is it possible that the PCB opto is faulty?

Thanks,
John

#6667 3 years ago

Here's another issue with my TNA that just started happening.

When I'm in single-ball play and the locks are empty and ready for balls to lock, fast-moving balls will hit the back drop target and bounce completely out of the lock lane and back into play before the 2nd drop target rises to trap the ball. These same fast-moving balls were being trapped just fine earlier today.

If I roll the ball slowly into the locks by hand, the 2nd drop target raises in time to trap the ball.

I tried this with debug events showing on the display. Both opto 1 and opto 2 are registering even in the case where the ball bounces off drop target 3 and escapes back into play.

The problem seems to be intermittent, but if it happens, it'll happen repeatedly from then on. If I power off and leave it a while, I may not see the problem the next time that I power on.

Any suggestions for this one?

EDIT:

Mystery solved on this one. The problem goes away when DEBUG mode is disabled. Apparently, displaying the DEBUG event messages slows things down enough that the drop target can't be raised in time for fast-moving balls. Sorry for the false alarm.

Thanks,
John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blurfocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=blurfocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.