(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bitpatrol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#686 6 years ago

The value is in holding the spot, so it would make more sense to auction off the spot, or for the holder of the spot to charge a premium for it. You can buy a spot, or wait for one to come up, or loose out on a spot if none come up or costs too much. Or, you can end up with 2 spots. By spot I mean serial number... not when it gets made...

1 week later
#784 6 years ago

Why would someone post a review of 1.4 with this comment and not get deleted?:

"Played it once, that was enough. Boring, repetitive, and the music started to give me a headache. If someone offered this game to me for free, I would have to think about it due to the fact I have limited space. Not impressed, and at the price point they are asking, there is no way I would ever buy this game."

If the user played it once, why did he first make a review 30 days ago, and then updated 6 days ago?

#788 6 years ago

I wonder if the design of this game lends itself better to having many versions of code offering up a broader range of games compared to other designs? For example, adding a feature that causes the reactor to start 'leaking' would involve just having leds programmed to flash different color timed sequences etc. I think the lack of ramps and toys, and relying on lights, color, sounds, targets, shots, time make it a better generic platform for custom code forks, but not sure.

Also, having unique call-outs that rarely repeat themselves, like sounds song samples would be cool, as I find call-outs can get repetitive. Having 'organic' callouts with lots of cheap onboar memory to spare, and lots of license free sounds/music can make it more interesting than repeating call-outs... Same with light sequences, having randomness in the light patterns can make it more interesting over time, I would think. Most games have yet to take full advantage of the the ability to program LEDs and change their colors in new ways not possible in the past.

#796 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

You are very welcome. I was thinking about the potential for LED failure over time and decided it was good to use connectors as LEDs do fail eventually. They just do not fail as fast as incandescent. Replacements will be up on the Pinball Life website soon as well. We will have replacement light boards, single GI, and single insert lights.
--Scott

This is awesome. I have the AFMle and am concerned about bad batches of LEDs and their 3-led pod failing at once... like your green LEDs, so nice job making them plugable.

#800 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was trying to figure out ways to make the game more varied. As people said they can make a player mode to see one reactor high score.
On games like Mario you can play a level for most points *or* you can complete quickest as a time trial. IOW see how fast you can complete a set of objectives.

Yes, stuff like that sounds very cool and can get creative. The more customization, the more 'randomness' can be enabled too, like randomly leading the player through all of the known modes, and pulling new modes off the cloud.

Something as simple as incrementally brightening all the LEDs the further along you get is cool.

1 week later
#882 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Actually I kinda thought about this from day 1. Not necessarily with a casette deck but It'd be nice to use TNA as a... uh, "loudspeaker" since it has richer sound than my actual stereo. XD
(Well should quieten down the power supply fan for that but else it'd be great.)

Yes, I also will be doing this. I also have a spare JL Audio 8" sub which I ended up not using for my truck, and may see about how that can be fit inside a cabinet ( not TNA )

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well the fan is at least too loud (kinda high pitched noise) to leave the machine switched on while I'm working in the same room.
Took a little video (but the video in itself is not very loud ).
http://www.demolitionsquad.de/extras/flippermarkt/tna-fan.mp4
Maybe the power supply behaves differently on 230Volts.
But it's no biggie. If it really bugs me "maybe" I'll replace the fan.

That does not sound normal for a power supply fan I don't think...

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Correct. Same power supply as Rob Zombie. It is a very solid power supply and I am super surprised to hear how loud this fan is. I have never heard anything like that.
Send me the part number of that Meanwell fanless supply. I know of 2 potential models, but they are 2x-4x the cost. Just curious what you found.
--Scott

I would be willing to do a fanless as an upgrade, or will gladly swap it out too if the part number is made available.

#1082 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Still not completely off the idea to use that canvas down there otherwise...
(No, I'd never mess with the playfield on a new game. )

that would be frikin awesome, with 2 red leds that brighten, but unfortunately now not possible as an original idea or part of the game

#1084 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well... Scott said why not and I can see it (it'd be propably too cluttered/ doesn't match up with the rest) nontheless I've fun playing with this idea & scribbling around, so...

I like the idea of having leds above the flippers 'heat up' the quicker the flippers are hit, and eventually get red hot, but if they overheat, the flipper power lowers so the ball only makes it up to the middle of the playfield to hit a special target to re-engergize or cool the flippers type of idea

#1088 6 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

Waiting hard for #106, in the meantime i‘m going to do some high stakes gambling on other pins:
2 Euro Coins fit perfectly

I got the hot-pink sack rack. Am I missing something obvious about this item? I have the 4 coins, and set it on my AFMr for now, but does it serve another purpose or have special use that I am too new to figure out?

#1092 6 years ago

I'm wondering how well the butter would wear over time, potentially chipping or cracking if the cabinet shifts slightly and repeatedly over time. I know the cab flexes slightly on sub and shaker... have there been clearcoat cabinets made many years ago that have aged well? If a non-butter gets damaged over time, the sticker can be replaced, but for the butter, not sure how to repair a chipped side if that ever happens.

#1143 6 years ago

Is the idea that once we get a TNA, we can continue to built/modify it along with new features added on new versions of it? It would be good to always have upgrade kits so we can maybe get a chance down the road to have 'unique' TNAs just by how they are setup or configured with different upgrades? The list of upgrades is endless i think... but would be good to have official upgrade kits instead of 3rd party, anyways, just a thought.

#1148 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I'm going to convert mine into a homebrew Dolly Parton pin!
...the circle is complete!

I guess I need to be 'in' on this one, I don't get it

#1150 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I believe the original TNA was made using some parts/cab of a Dolly Parton machine...

that is pretty cool! big dolly boobies tna #meetoo

For the upgrades, having everything tested and working well with the existing closed-sourced software would be an advantage over having 3rd party upgrades, even if it means fewer official upgrades available. So much can go wrong and there may be software ideas planned for the future that could make some upgrades make more sense than others. I like the side rail lights but what if there is was an official side rail light kit that integrated correctly with the software...? That would be cooler than the one I'll be getting, since it cannot take advantage of closed-software and future features not yet made public. That's why I was thinking official upgrade kits are better perhaps.

#1159 6 years ago

If in 10 years from now, I somehow manage to damage a butter cabinet, would it be more difficult to repair than a non-butter? I plan on keeping mine for some time, and realize it may be difficult to keep dings off of it over the long-run, even with as much care as I would give it. I'm curious to find out how I would fix a ding on a butter? If it's a really bad ding, would I cover it with a decal to repair it?

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There is no right or wrong in this case and it's great that Spooky gave us all choices. We're both smart just for buying the game.

Thanks for the advice ya'll. Shipping the butter is a bit risky too, so saving money and not worrying about getting a damaged NIB is good too.

Definitely nothing wrong with that butter cabinet for sure, it's AWESOME! I plan on keeping it for many years ( forever ) and I don't know how to handle if any damage occurs to the butter at one point, and would either need to cover over the clearcoat with a new decal. WIth the margarine I could always have it looks 10/10 with new decals... any thoughts?

1 week later
#1247 6 years ago

Does the TNA playfield dimple or chip or is it pretty solid compared to others like AFMr which easily dimples and leaves 'lines'. Just curious how the clearcoat compares and if I should get a full playfield protector if they make one.

#1256 6 years ago

Does anyone have any chipping or dimpling on their playfield yet? I'm curious to find out how it's performing compared to others like CGC's. Would be good if there was none!

#1262 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Mmmmm, dumplings. Hehe

ALL playfields will dimple. It's a steel ball hittung a wooden surface, no way to stop that. That being said, spooky has one of the best playfield/clearcoats out there currently. Extensive testing has been done on multiple playfield and multiple styles of tests (strict ball wear, ball impact tests in the playfield itself, impact tests on edges of scoops, etc).

Ok, good to know!

Quoted from TomGWI:

We had a few issues on our stream. Mainly the right flipper spring broke and then a few games later the left one broke.
I have not changed any settings from the factory because I felt like everything played great.
My question is has anyone decreased the flipper strength of the flipper coils because they felt they were to strong? Has anyone else had the flipper springs break.
The spring broke where it attaches to the base and not at the plunger.
One time the lcd screen got fuzzy looking but we cycled the power and than it was fine.
The tilt warnings would continue through to next but my understanding is that maybe addressed in the next code update.
Other than that the game played great.

I had the same thing happen on my AFMrLE. The hole which the spring goes through had a bit of a sharp edge from the drill, and it cut through the spring loop. I ended up smoothing the holes a bit and re-attached the springs a after bending the loop back and it worked ok so far. Maybe they used the same flipper hardware and it was a bad batch.

#1265 6 years ago

I'm curious, what hardware platform does TNA use, and where do I get info. on it? Is it some type of open platform that is used for other pins?

#1270 6 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

The P3-ROC and modular PDB system that TNA uses are off-the-shelf hardware with a large community of users and software developers. The P3-ROC is based off the original P-ROC and is used in a growing number of commercial games (TNA, Houdini, P3, TBL) and dozens of hobbyist-developed machines. The modular concept allows developers to scale the hardware to support the number of features they want in their machine.
More information here: https://www.multimorphic.com/p3-pinball-platform/hardware-control-system/
If you're curious about software, the software framework TNA is based off of an open source python framework called SkeletonGame supported by a growing community, with pinside user mocean being the maintainer and primary developer. The idea behind the framework is that it provides most of the standard pinball features, and you can spend the bulk of your dev cycles focusing on game content. (http://skeletongame.com/)
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Awesome. I'll get around to looking closer at this, I'm curious to find out how the code/rules handle all of the states the machine can be in, and how complex the state rules get... tough to test all the state combinations for sensors/timers/counters etc.

3 weeks later
#1538 6 years ago

Is the shaker and knocker easy to install, or is there a benefit in having Spooky install them?

If I already have the mirrors and decide to get the side art, will the mirrors damage the side art or will I be able to remove the mirrors if I want to show the artwork?

How is the playfield holding up? Any cliffys needed?

#1545 6 years ago

Are cliffys recommended or is there no need for that? Is chipping at the holes normal for any pin or are some pins ( maybe like TNA ) durable enough so the clearcoat won't chip? I'm only on my first pin so not sure what to expect

#1553 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Do you have a link? I'm not familiar with this.

black electric tape worked perfect for my AFMrLE rattle. ( 1 strip folded over each side )

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Thanks I'll try that. I've used electric tape in the past but it comes off and binds a lot.

It must be the type of electrical tape used. Mine has no chance of binding or coming off, and have had the glass removed many times. Some had commented on the AFMr group a couple of months ago that the specialty rattle-proof tape was binding and coming off.

#1682 6 years ago

What is involved in removing the head from the cabinet?

#1693 6 years ago

Will cliffy's be needed anywhere on TNA?

#1695 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No, there's no ball drops from ramps and the scoops have built-in edge protection.

Ok, good. What about a full playfield protector? I know some would not want that but I would like to keep it minty fresh...

#1699 6 years ago
Quoted from Panic_flip:

I love playfield protectors on my games. Smooth as glass, no dimpling. I wish someone would make a TNA protector or share DIY instructions.

Awesome! I"m glad I'm not alone, I love my full playfield protector for my AFMrLE. I like knowing I can play hard and not do any damage, but realize some say it affect game play, but I don't notice, I'm too new to pinball

Maybe I'll contact the pp in germany and ask them to cut one...

UPDATE: Ok, I just emailed [email protected] to ask him for a TNA playfield protector.

#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Playfield protectors are hot garbage, and utterly unnecessary for home use games. If someone tried to sell me a game with one of those protectors on it they'd have to either cut their price or remove it before I'd take it.
Your game, do whatever you want, but if you're new to pinball stop being paranoid about your playfield.

This is not very sound advice. You use extreme terms like 'hot garbage', 'utterly unnecessary', 'cut their price', 'paranoid' etc. You must have had a bad experience with a playfield protector at one point, but the one I have on my AFMrLE is just fabulous and others agree. If it's not for you, I can understand, but for you to accuse someone of having a mental disorder because they want to protect their game is odd.

#1704 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Mental disorder? Wow that’s taking political correctness to a new level.

it is a bit drastic to call someone paranoid over a plastic protector no?

"n. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason."

https://www.wordnik.com/words/paranoia

Maybe it is a bit crazy that I am looking to protect Scott's creation so carefully though, you may have a point.

2 weeks later
#1816 6 years ago

Is it true that TNA gets repetitive? I'm new to pinball and don't have mine yet, but am under the impression that after I get better at pinball, I will appreciate TNA more, and not consider it to be boring or repetitive? My assumption is that the ramps and 'toys' on pinballs can become background noise after a while and loose their fun-factor, and the game really becomes all about making 'the shot' and the code of the game? For example, I'm just realizing now that my AFMrLE's ramps just bring the ball back down to the flipper and may not be adding much 'fun' to the game? Does it do well in arcades or bars? I really want to get something that I can hang on to for years and not get bored with, so any input from old-timers would be appreciated I was planning on getting MMr but the game play/layout is too similar to my AFMrLE.

#1819 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No such thing. It's just a game after all. TNA is awesome, but any pin gets old after a while.

relative to other pins.

#1822 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Once you've been around for awhile & have played different pins from all different eras, you begin to realize what you like. Everyone is different, so take other people's opinions with a grain of salt.
I have come to the realization that I prefer games that kick my ass & frustrate the hell out of me. Games like that keep you coming back for more & eventually make you a better player. The harder a game is, the less likely you will get tired of it. Easy pins bore the hell out of me. When you keep getting pissed off & the game keeps fighting you back, you keep pressing start over & over. You want to do better & show that pin what's up! At least that's how I feel.
Personally I love early 80's solid state Bally/Williams pins, due to difficult gameplay, killer sounds & the incredible fantasy/sci-fi artwork. Great to play with friends as well as the games go quickly. There is no better era in pinball IMO. Think Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, Centaur, etc etc.
Modern pins are pretty sweet as well, but if the gameplay isn't difficult, it better have some well-executed competitive code. I've stopped chasing the "next new thing", I could care less what's next from Stern. Just give me modern pins that are already developed, proven & great for competitive play. Think Ironman, Metallica, TWD, Tron. Basically anything Lyman coded. Yes I am a Lyman prude, for good reason.
That's why TNA fits the bill for so many reasons. Classic early 80s design & brutal gameplay, with modern lighting & sound. The best of both worlds. I expect it will never leave my collection.....once I finally receive it this week I think Spooky has realized they have something special with TNA, and that it certainly has scratched an itch for many pinball fans out there. They need to make more games like this in the future.

Thanks, great info. so far!

I would imagine a long lasting game would involve rewarding the player for good 'flipper skills', and having a wide range of challenging target shots including orbits, as well as fast ball game play? I would think having toys and ramps are not as rewarding for an advanced player, as let say having to use good aim hitting targets in time or the right sequence?

#1828 6 years ago

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing...

#1831 6 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Played TNA for the first time this past Saturday. Freakin’ loved it from game #1. This is my kind of pinball. I Will be ordering one for myself.

I ordered the side mirrors and side rail lights for mine. I only have room for 3 pins and have an AFMrLE now, with the TNA to go with it. I figure they are completely different styles and gameplays and its a better match than MMr since that would be too 'boring' being so similar to AFMr. Not sure what my third pin will be, but I'm fairly certain TNA is a good one I will enjoy for many years. I'm not sure how yet, but I think the lights sound and code will make this a favorite for long lasting fun factor. I also think if it does get repetitive ( and I don't think it will ) than that can be fixed with code.

#1834 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

If you can find and like Radical! Space Station, or any Pat Lawlor game... I recommend it to round out your collection. Very cool first 2 Pins though!

Very cool pins, specially that Radical! I can totally see how newer electronics and software can revive these types of games too. I do like the ramps though, I kinda wish TNA had one I'll keep an eye out for Pat Lawlor games for my third pin. Is he working on any new games?

#1836 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I have my TNA next to my AFMr LE. Perfect pins next to each other as they play so differently but both are pinball perfection.

awesome thanks!

#1850 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's awesome seeing all these new members join the club! Can't wait to get mine. Hopefully in the next couple months!

Yeah, I watched the TNA stream again for a bit and it sure does look fun, can't wait for mine.

#1866 6 years ago

I have extra mylar sheets. Will there be spots where I can apply some on TNA? Not sure how long the sheets will store for ( before they will loose their stickiness )

#1888 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I have a 5 led that’s in there now and it’s still not bright enough compared to the original incandescent bulb.
I also went with a red 13 because both of the other bulbs still seem too “pink” underneath the dome.

Is it worth the upgrade? How does it look with the 13 led?

#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Here is our newest topper design for Total Nuclear Annihilation. I will be testing it on Scott's game next week and hope to have it interact with the siren topper on the game. Here are some pics and a vid.
» YouTube video

I will get one of these for sure.

#1903 6 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

The art is relative to the game but not exact, we made our own renditions.

Is this an official topper or a 3rd party topper? Looks good either way. If its' 3rd party, just curious to find out why you made your own renditions and not match it up perfectly with the playfield/art? Still planning to get one, but more curious than anything... Is spooky coming out with a TNA topper down the road?

#1905 6 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

I do not know what Spooky is going to do. I doubt they will do a topper as the siren is the official topper. We didn't want to steal anyone's artwork so we made our own rendition that would fit the original art. I discussed this with Scott the designer of the game before I did anything and will be testing it at his house this week.

Ah, ok that makes sense, and that was the impression I had... I really like the artwork, too bad it does not match the exact theme of TNA somehow, as it takes away from it slightly, and it's a bit obvious the artwork is different... I know how complicated artwork copyright can be too, so I"m still in on the topper

#1922 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Earning or winning extra tilt earnings is the best and most underrated award in Pinball. I know there’s a couple of other games that do it (jjp?), but have no idea why it’s not more common.
I’m thinking Stern discourages it’s use because they are worried about mistreatment if location games (since that is still a large part of their market). I still think it’s a lost opportunity that they don’t use it as a feature.
The best is earning Tilt warnings, like you earn add-a-ball, rather than from mystery.
I’d also love to see more games show the movement of the tilt-bob, by making the bob itself a more prominent part of the playfield/game, or video of it in the corner of the screen.

Very good idea! It would be cool if when you pushed the TNA a digital tilt-bob ( cheap digital accelerometer ) would pulse the playfield LEDS somehow or have special affects with lights and sound etc.

#1927 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Coop was the way to go for fellas at TPF Saturday afternoon. Really great time there... and whysnow isn’t half bad either; boys got skill

Where is the artwork on this?

#1929 6 years ago

Do we wax the TNA playfield, and if so, what wax should I use?

#1952 6 years ago

Should I plan on waxing TNA's playfield? ( sorry for the newb question, just not sure if it's needed with that type of clearcoat or just wipe it down with a cloth ) I also have a bunch of extra mylar sheets, are there spots I can use those on for TNA?

#1954 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

clean with novus and wax with good 100% carnuba is cool (buff off the wax after it drie in case that was not clear).
Keep in mind that TNA is FAST already so wax will make it faster
I find no need for any additional mylar.

Awesome, thanks!!

#1955 6 years ago

There is this one:

#1963 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Welp, I'm officially in at #245. I was originally going to wait for Iron Maiden this month, but after the delay, I decided to jump on the game I know I like and wait for a chance to play Iron Maiden.

Are you sure you are 245? If you just ordered, I don't think that is possible right? Did you take over someone else's spot?

#1967 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

bitpatrol what #are you?

I'm 234 KT told me late spring or early summer a couple of months ago!

#1973 6 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm 198, and they are currently just above 100 now. At their current pace, I'm guessing I won't see my game until probably around late summer. Those original estimates were certainly based on their "2 games a day" mantra, which if the production numbers being delivered indicate, they are not meeting. I'm not complaining or anything, it will get here when it gets here, I just wouldn't get your hopes up that those original estimates are still accurate.

Maybe the first 100 took longer to build than the next 100 will take since they are fine-tuning production. I don't mind waiting, my guess is July 1st

#1985 6 years ago

Has anyone gotten that shooter rod mod? I'm wondering if that is a good mod to get, it's not cheap

#1994 6 years ago

Where do I get those flipper lights?

Also, I already have mirror blades, but was planning on getting the side art option but having the mirror cover up the art... is that ok or will I damage the art when installing the mirror blades?

#2021 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I would like a laser show and a fog machine
Not piling on chosen_s, I’m serious

A fog mod would be fun with a large blast on each reactor destruction.

1 week later
#2153 6 years ago

Is there a way to attache my mirror blades over the side art without damaging too much or should I just not get side art since I already have my mirror blades? I was hoping to have both, with the option to take off the mirror blades if I ever wanted to, maybe with velcro or something.

3 weeks later
#2406 5 years ago

Is TNA a good game to have if I plan on playing single-player only, and are code updates focusing on single player-mode? When I read the reviews, I just see the only real negative comments being about repetitive play and single-player mode fun-factor?

#2415 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I think a lot of people saying that prefer 'deep' games--games that can have pretty long ball times (compared to TNA and many late 70's/early 80's SS games). The street-level layout and lack of many modes and toys leads people to assume it has little replay value outside competitive play. My collection is primarily early SS games. I play them myself quite often, and i sometimes prefer to bc i can start another game right away after getting my ass handed to me.
As always, it's really gonna boil down to what kind of pinball you enjoy playing solo. Deeper games are great for solo play because they have goals that may take 15-20+ minutes to reach. Consequently, those games can be poor choices for multiplayer since a good player may have a 5+ minute long ball, which i often find results in less engaged opponents (they might just start a game on another machine or start playing with their phone etc)...
Quicker SS games typically have much shorter ball times (many have no ball save either, contributing to those short ball times), which i think tends to keep people more active in multiplayer games. Short ball times = everybody plays more frequently. That, coupled with rule sets that are easy to grasp, makes competition (and even spectatorship) more enjoyable for everyone, including non pinheads.
Does that mean TNA is only a good multiplayer and LOTR (as an extreme example of a deep game) is only good solo? Of course not. It's all a matter of taste. I love my SS games and TNA is the first NIB i plan on buying bc i love that style of gameplay. I wound up with primarily SS games in my collection because i could never afford the higher-priced deeper games. In result i wound up finding a greater appreciation for older, easy to learn/hard to master type games. Now that i can afford a deeper game, I'm going with TNA bc it's deep for a SS-style game. I expect it'll be great for solo play bc i can challenge myself to blow up all 9 reactors. It'll be great for competitive & cooperative multiplayer too (based on feedback I've read so far).
So ultimately, it's a lifestyle choice.

Good info. thanks!

#2429 5 years ago

Does anyone have a mouser link for the stock power supply? I'm interested to compare the specs.

#2431 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It would be nice to have quite PS option from factory. I understand why the font go with it as standard if they need to reach a specific price point but like butter or side art it could be a paid option.

I don't know enough about pins, but would the power supply in TNA not be similar to the one in my AFMrLE? I have never heard my power supply running... If the TNA is the same, than it is pretty quiet...

#2435 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Before swapping the fan in my psu it was a screamer. With the game idle it literally gave me a headache.
$10 to swap in a quiet fan. It requires the removal of the psu and pulling it apart.
Buying a $210 fanless Meanwell works too. I prefer the $10 option.

Would be interesting to send the old fan back to Spooky so they can check if it's defective...

#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Yeah... in their free time!

better now so it does not snow-ball and take up more time, shipping fans some complain are too loud and are replacing right-away on their own. This type of feedback is crucial to ensuring top quality, so I do hope they find the time to investigate this core piece of hardware.

EDIT: I'm not claiming something is wrong with the TNA fan, I have not gotten mine yet, but thought it was important to address this seeing customers are already swapping out the fan as a 'mod' and that part would usually be an issue for a company to address. My AFMrLE has no fan noise at all, but noticed the comparison was made to Stern and JPP which very well may have loud fans relative to others like CGC.

#2464 5 years ago

Should I add a couple of coats of Carnauba wax when I first get my TNA? Will that protect the playfield a bit? It's my second pin so bit of a newb and not sure if I should wait to do that.

#2481 5 years ago

Has anyone gotten the side art AND install the mirror blades? I wondering if there is a way to mount the mirror blades without damaging the artwork?

#2518 5 years ago

I wonder how TNA does at locations compared to others... if it's a frustrating game, maybe some rate lower on pinside but sink more quarters into it...

#2520 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

If I had one on location, I'd put a sign on it that explains what co-op mode is and how to start it.

Or have 2 TNAs side-by-side connected to each other and have some type of battle between them somehow... triggering stuff on the other's machine etc. when you start to play 1, the other one invites people to battle

#2522 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Nope. I'd do the one that's possible.

It is!

#2524 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

What part - getting TWO TNAs? That might take a while . . .

I was thinking more as a fun 'brainstorm' idea that may be possible for some pin to do in the future... having more than 1 pin at a location could maybe attract more players than not having them networked and interact as nodes, like the car driving/racing cabinets do. Possible in that regard.

#2532 5 years ago

So when I get my TNA, I need to replace the loud power supply, fix the loud light AND replace the display? wtf.

#2534 5 years ago

Ok, so why are other replacing them? fun?

#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

some people like to mod to make their game different or improve it in their eyes. Modding is a big part of the hobby for some.
since audihere is affiliated with colordmd, I am guessing they are playing around with the idea on how to find new markets since colordmd is nearing completion for all DMD related games.
as for the loud fan and topper light gear, I think just personal preference. Some people get really fixated on any sound they think should not be in a game.
reminds me of my pops who was a car guy. On more than one occasion he returned a car to a dealer or sold it because it had a noise or squeak that would occasionally happen and it drove him nuts.

There are mods and fixes, and the loud power supply, loud light and now 'washed out' lcd are fixes to me. I see I'll get roasted if I bring up anything negative so I'll keep my comments to myself, but I have a weird gut feeling about this.

#2552 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think the wtf turns up the volume on your concerns. If you crave civility in your responses, lead with civility.

I do apologize for offending you.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

My panties weren’t bunched in the least. You felt attacked for simple polite rebuttals.

Thank you

#2564 5 years ago

Is anyone affiliated with Spooky in this forum?

#2567 5 years ago

I know scott is, but would also be good to get a list so users can 'tune-into' official posts only.

Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Regarding the fan noise. I think the 48 V power supply in TNA is a 1000 watt Meanwell. I have this power supply for another project. I swapped out the stock 60 mm fan for a Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60mm fan. Not expensive. Now it's nice and quiet. Yellow solders to white on the old connector. I'm keeping the old fan though. The old fan draws 580 ma and pushes a lot more air than the 80 ma Vantec. Surely it don't need to dissipate much heat while driving coils but I am keeping the old one in case the Meanwell ever feels hot. Anyway, the fan swap is an easy job for anybody with a soldering iron, screw driver and an inch of heat shrink tubing.

That is why I was looking for the specs on the stock, I'm worried using different cooling may not work as well when it means the most, spinning up etc. I was planning on having TNA on in my living room but will see how the fan is when I get it.

#2570 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I know scott is, but would also be good to get a list so users can 'tune-into' official posts only.

That is why I was looking for the specs on the stock, I'm worried using different cooling may not work as well when it means the most, spinning up etc.

I was planning on having TNA on in my living room, so I'll wait to see how loud the fan actually is when I get it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bitpatrol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=bitpatrol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.