(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

I'm in, #75, you first people figure out if there are any bugs and gremlins for me.

#59 6 years ago

Looks like they stacked double digit sales during the Twitch stream. Love it.

#73 6 years ago

KT just confirmed my check arrived at Spooky, #75 officially mine.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

102 here
how quick do spooky build?
I'm in no rush as have no space at the moment.

10ish a week I think? I figure 2-3 months after they start building mine will be ready. If it's not exactly that I'm not stressed though.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So if these are being built in groups of 50 and have to intersperse with production of Alice Cooper how long of a wait is this going to be? If they are in "batch 4" already that's gotta mean at least a year wait right??

AC isn't ready, it's not going to compete with TNA on the line for a bit now.

As was noted, the 50 thing is overblown, they're just building games, there's no "wait until we have 50 before we start yours" situation.

Charlie said they're building 10-12 games a week I believe. Call it 10. 5 weeks per batch. All just unofficial estimates of course, but I don't see a year wait at this juncture.

My personal hope is that TNA is hugely successful and Spooky can afford to get AC really polished before they even reveal it, you only get one chance for a first impression.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

is the audio and lighting the same as this? this is awesome:
» YouTube video

Nah, it's better now.

Here's a video of the final prototype with art etc that's pretty much what the shipping games will look/sound like:

3 months later
#699 6 years ago

KT emailed to say my game #75 "will be on the line in the next few weeks", though what that really means for numbers and orders I have no idea. I'm excited, but now I gotta get off my ass and put my ACDC lower playfield properly back together so I can sell the game. I was working on a mod for it, but at this point I doubt I'll bother going forward with it.

TNA is the only thing about pinball in 2017 that excites me, see if that holds true for 2018 too. Won't surprise me!

#705 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Don’t you dare stop working on that lower playfield mod for ACDC!! I want it!!

I've got scans of my lower playfield, selling the game just means I couldn't test things. Assuming I ever got around to doing it, I've only been putting it off for like 3 years now.

I dunno, I wonder how many people would even be willing to remove their lower playfield to install something.

2 weeks later
#809 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So, for the next step... I'm getting my old Corrado back working. Will take a few weeks,... more months.

Nice BBS wheels.

I used to drive a MkIII GTI VR6, love that era of VWs. I took out the stock head unit though, so it didn't have a tape player anymore ...

1 month later
#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I believe mid 70’s are shipping next week.

#75 is on the truck, I have a tracking number.

#1474 6 years ago

Haha, this is true, slipping in games during the day is a non issue.

I'm looking forward to multiplayer the most. These days I mostly host fighting game nights, Street Fighter players etc, and they don't have much curiosity about pinball. I haven't pushed it, but when TNA is here I'm definitely going to teach them to play, this is the perfect game for a bunch of competitive-but-new-to-pinball players.

1 week later
#1547 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Are cliffys recommended or is there no need for that? Is chipping at the holes normal for any pin or are some pins ( maybe like TNA ) durable enough so the clearcoat won't chip? I'm only on my first pin so not sure what to expect

The scoops use Mantis-style protectors, where there's a metal band inside the hole, that's gonna be all the protection most people would need. I have no plans to Cliffy mine.

I'll post more thoughts on the game later, I want more time to play it before I say anything. I have some quibbles and things I might work on, I'll be honest with anything I don't like, but overall the game is amazing, Scott killed it, Spooky did great work, I'm totally impressed.

#1613 6 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Always sucks when you have that lower left standup as your only one

That D shot is just evil.

#1619 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It’s like having random ball locks awarded from a mystery scoop.

It's not at all like that though. There's nothing random about it, it's part of the risk/reward strategy choice of the player before you. I suppose you could have cases of collusion where one player tries to help the other, but that seems rather far fetched for pinball competition.

I play with competitive players. People like Bob Matthews and Jim Belsito. Nothing but respect for them and their skills and drive to compete. But tournament players can sometimes feel like they're sucking all the fun out of the game. Deal with the randomness, that's pinball. You still gotta play the game. Locking balls isn't particularly hard or risky, it's not something that breaks the game.

#1624 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No different than an award from the mystery scoop, which competition organizers try to disable.

Utterly different though really. Because what you're not accounting for is your own game. Yes, the player before you might have left locks. Now you're in the same position, and could leave locks for the next player. It's simply part of the game, locking balls comes with a certain risk. And every player has to factor that in, and it affects everyone.

#1641 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Say it happens once in a 4 payer game.

Then that's pinball! Play Donkey Kong if you want a more predictable challenge.

Being a little random is part of the game.

This is my opinion on things like this:

There doesn't need to be an option to make games play the way some people want. There's already a thread where someone asked Scott to make it so the music could be replaced! That's ridiculous to me, that someone would ask for that. Scott crafted an entire soundtrack from scratch, to match the game that he envisioned the way he wanted.

He wants lock stealing. If that bugs you as a TO then run games one player at a time (frankly I find that more interesting to watch for a fast game like this anyways), or, just don't use it at all.

It's a feature of the game design, it helps make it unique. I don't think that the creator should compromise and add an option that if turned on changes the character of the game he wants people to play because some people prefer it that way.

My 2 cents, only opinion that really matters is Scott's.

#1656 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Is it possible to do TNA code update with a Mac?

Yup, easy and no fuss. I’ve updated my code maybe 5 times now, all from OS X on a standard FAT32 formatted thumb drive.

#1700 6 years ago

Playfield protectors are hot garbage, and utterly unnecessary for home use games. If someone tried to sell me a game with one of those protectors on it they'd have to either cut their price or remove it before I'd take it.

Your game, do whatever you want, but if you're new to pinball stop being paranoid about your playfield.

#1707 6 years ago

If you want to stick a grandma couch cover on your game go for it, I don't play on your game, you do, whatever makes you happy.

#1720 6 years ago

Trying to teach my fighting game players how to play TNA. I think they dig it, but none of them are pinball players, so it's hard to capture their interest.

IMG_6829 (resized).jpgIMG_6829 (resized).jpg

#1723 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was a vid guy when I was a kid. Never looked twice at a pinball machine. Now all the vids I play are on consoles and emulators, and probably for about 1/10th the time I spend on pinball. I think a head-to-head style format would appeal to fighting game guys the most, since it appeals to the one-on-one aspect, as oppose to the player vs machine aspect.

Head to head like Joust? Not sure what you mean.

You're right though, pinball is you vs the machine, fighting games are you vs the other player. Different appeals. Fighting games are pretty unique that way honestly.

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Like 2 "identical" machines set up side-by-side, and it's essentially a race to reach or accomplish a goal first. For TNA, I would imagine blowing up X number of reactors (depending on player skill). This would be instead of playing for points and competing against other players that way.

Could be fun. I have side by side candy cabs, but I'm definitely not buying side by side pinballs.

1 week later
#1781 6 years ago

I love TNA because it’s hard, and I sold Star Trek because it was too smooth and boring. Funny how tastes differ.

#1798 6 years ago

Just turn your game down? You're seriously asking Scott to change something in the game because some customers don't want to hear the bass. Turn the volume down if people don't want to hear it. Work on a headphone jack, whatever, but take a little initiative instead of thinking the game should change to cater to you.

#1817 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I really want to get something that I can hang on to for years and not get bored with

No such thing. It's just a game after all. TNA is awesome, but any pin gets old after a while.

#1820 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

relative to other pins.

I'm with HoakyPoaky, hard games have better longevity, but it's really about personal taste.

For instance, some people love super deep games, like LOTR for instance. That's the opposite of what I want to own, because I'll see it, think "you need a long game to really get anywhere on that pin" and walk past it without hitting start. I don't have the time and patience for that.

TNA is great because you can play one game, or a bunch, there's not commitment.

I used to own a Scared Stiff, one of my all time favorites in terms of theme and presentation. It's too easy, once I hit the wizard mode twice in one game I stopped playing it. Sold it after a while, even though I loved it, because I'm not running a museum.

Here's the truth: you can buy a game, enjoy it, get tired of it, and sell it for another. You don't have to marry the game.

But if you want a straight up answer? I think TNA is a great pick for longevity and fun, yes.

#1864 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Any thoughts on general longevity for the casual player?
I've been drifting more and more away from the toy- and gimmick- filled games. And I generally don't like deep rulesets. Hated AC/DC for that reason.

I sold my ACDC to fit TNA, and for me it was a big upgrade in terms of wanting to play.

#1882 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Can someone please post a fix for the becon light? Mine sounds like a rock tumbler.
I tried lubricating the gears as Bryan Kelly suggests, but I think there’s more to it.
Fixed: put super lube down the outside edge of the bulb socket. This kept the plastic reflector from rattling back and forth when spinning which is where the sound is coming from.

Here's the fix, I need to do it too.

#1947 6 years ago

I need a pic of the back of Scott's sweatshirt!

#1949 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

I keep hearing Scott is awesome. Any truth to that?

None. He pays people to say that, it's sad really.

1 week later
#2027 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I love how you can no longer even suggest an idea on the internet without 10 anonymous people piling on to tell you how horrible you are for suggesting something.

I think it's weird that Scott created his game, and wrote all the music for it, made the music a huge part of the theme — every reactor has a fully custom song, the music even interacts with the shooter lane — and people want to ask him to let them take it out and replace with their own music. Stop and think for a moment, if this was your game, and you spent 2 years making it all work together, would you be flattered when someone asked you to let them take your music out? I wouldn't be.

Scott is my friend, so of course I want to stand up for him, but I'm really speaking about what it's like to be a creator in a community. People can 'suggest' things in pretty insulting ways. Probably they don't mean to be, but that doesn't really change that fact that they are. Try and have some respect for how hard someone worked for this.

It's fun to customize pins. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, a lot of people have changed their games with my translites. You bought the game, I consider it yours to do with as you like. But take charge of it yourself in a personal way, and don't ask the creator to do the work for you.

Sometimes suggestions are rude, it's okay to call that out. It's how we learn.

Quoted from flynnsbit:

Mine shipped, can't wait to be part of the club. I think TNA will look good next to all the Trons I have.

My TNA is next to my Tron, they're a good pairing. Also both good pins for new players, easy to understand. TNA especially, I'm teaching a lot of people to play that I never bothered to show my pins before.

#2042 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Anything special I need to do as far as extra Mylar or new balls?

I tossed the stock balls and replaced from my stash, I didn't think the ones that came with my game looked that great. But I do that with every new pin I get.

#2054 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Aurich, if you have a problem.. you’re always welcome to PM me

I am entirely comfortable writing everything I did in public, thanks though.

1 week later
#2160 6 years ago

TNA's power supply fan is definitely loud, at some point I'm going to fix it, because I don't care for the noise when I just have my games on.

It's the new way of things apparently, when the Spike fan kicks in it's almost as bad.

1 week later
#2247 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hopefully it have onscreen instructions.

It does.

2 weeks later
#2411 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

What's the best tool/method to adjust the sensitivity of the standups, they are way to hard to activate. I tried my leaf switch tool on some and needle nose on others, but neither worked too well. Or different foam???

When I adjusted the gap on mine to be a little more sensitive I also hand pressed the targets in hard repeatedly to break in the foam, and that seemed to help.

3 weeks later
#2668 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The R.A.D. targets seem to have a lot of foam under them and I find that it takes a really strong, direct shot for them to register. Is that normal, or should I look at adjusting so that more ricochets register? When destroying the reactors it makes a pretty big difference. At this point, I dread having multiple R.A.D. targets randomly selected, especially the D. I'm assuming the foam is great, so I would just look to reduce the space between the switch contacts.

On my game we gapped all the switches to be sensitive, and I 'broke in' the foam by hand compressing it hard a bunch of times. After that I'm much happier with the response.

3 weeks later
#2891 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I think Spooky should have stuck with a modern cab.

Gross, no way

11 months later
#5338 4 years ago

Shipping is no big deal. I'm not planning on selling my TNA at the moment, but if I did and someone wanted to ship that's fine. They need to make the arrangements, and deal with any headaches, and I just have to be here for the truck to show up. Done it before, no big deal.

#5340 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Except the money. I’ve bought a pin via bank transfer with shipping went well but was not stress free.

True that, good point. I've only dealt with known people with good reps. Still a risk I guess, but hasn't been something I've worried about. If I don't know who you are? That's different.

#5351 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Does anyone ever consider it being a concern when few games were made - such as this one - and you keep seeing them pop up for sale?

No.

1 month later
#5484 4 years ago

I'm thinking of leaving the club, don't really want to, but need to move a pin to fit another project and for various reasons I need my other games still. But I'll tell you what, I waited until last night to do the best mod to TNA, wish I'd gotten around to it earlier to enjoy the benefits more. Put a silent fan in the power supply! I can't tell you how irritating I find jet engine fan noise. Fine when the game is running, but it made me not want the game on in the background when not playing.

$10 and a little time with a socket, screwdriver, and soldering iron. Highly recommended. Here's the model I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000234W04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

I haven't put the glass back on to see how quiet it will really get, but big noise reduction even with it off.

1 week later
#5543 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Hoping someone will see this since I have my game apart. So just red/black to red/black?
In other words, red/black wires from the plug in the computer to where the red/black wires were on the new fan?

Yes, it's that simple. If you have a yellow wire on your new fan just ignore it, that's for speed control, power supply won't use it. Just need red and black, match them up, done.

3 years later
#9971 1 year ago

I hate to say it, but NIB feels less desirable now than a game that's been unboxed, checked for quality control issues, had a washed out backglass replaced etc. Something to keep in mind, you might have to deal with some stuff after you open it the way things have been going.

As far as the game itself goes when set up right? I think your collection would benefit from it.

All you have are new Sterns, and they're all going to offer a certain kind of experience. Might be different games, different vibes, but they're going to be longer play times, more rules, more stuff. Games with ramps and modes etc just play a certain way.

TNA rounds out a collection like yours nicely because it gives you a quick pickup game. It's hard to feel like you had a satisfying experience on a modern Stern if your game only lasted 10 minutes. 10 minutes on TNA can make you feel great.

There's a reason more mature collectors tend to stop just buying new games and start finding older games have an appeal.

I'd try and play it first though. Never a fan of buying blind because someone else told you it was fun.

#10007 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Perhaps joining this wing of the hobby was a mistake. My expectations appear to have been set too high.

Nah, you're being entirely reasonable about this.

Businesses close for the holidays, that's fine, but if you're selling an expensive product, and well, struggling with quality control, you need to consider that people are going to need help. If you can't get back to them right away at least make them feel like they're being heard and will get a response in a reasonable time frame when you get back.

#10009 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stern is really the only company that is fit for a first time pin owner.

I wouldn't necessarily go this far, but I think it's not really far off. Buying a "boutique" game comes with more risks and knowledge checks, as well as the need for more patience.

But even with a Stern things happen. That's pinball.

#10019 1 year ago
Quoted from BlackAura:

TNA CE 117 has arrived in the Seattle, WA area safely! (it was a bit late with the ice storms and having to reschedule shipping twice)
My first pin, but also one of my favourite ones in the local bars back when they still had them, so I'm super excited regardless of the recent comments suggesting not getting a Spooky or really any NIB as your first. Hopefully no major issues, but I enjoying tinkering / tweaking / debugging things so I'm not super concerned.
Have some friends coming over to help me set it up this afternoon! Now I need to go back and find the post from the person who did a full setup video...

You'll be fine. Spooky will help you if there are issues, and Scott is always around with good advice, and if you get stuck the community has your back. Don't worry about it, and enjoy the heck out of an addictive and fun game.

The issues are frustrating, but they're not deal breakers for owning the pin.

#10028 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Downloaded the soundtrack to this game. Love it! I bet this game is a blast with a decent pinwoofer setup

There's no need, has the best built-in sub of any pinball ever made. Pinwoofer can't compare to a custom ported and sealed bandpass enclosure tuned for the machine.

https://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=757

sub (resized).pngsub (resized).png

sub2 (resized).pngsub2 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.