(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider audihere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Embrace the variety!

That's my plan.

I'll have TNA - Metallica - Bank-a-Ball - Woz - Safe Cracker along the wall probably in that order.

4 weeks later
#889 6 years ago

Does TNA have a radio option in attract mode like Metallica where it will play the 9 songs?

#891 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sorry, but the only way you'll hear all the songs is to get to all the reactors....or buy the cassette.

I bought 2 copies from PBL the day it was released. My wife's old Walkman is floating around somewhere, this is gonna be interesting. haha

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...or remove the fan and MELT IT DOWN!

Maybe that's what happens after destroying the 9th reactor?

#1031 6 years ago

It's not a JVC. It doesn't vibrate the concrete. But I CAN hear the hardcore beat! Bass Boost is ON.

tape DSC_2274 (resized).jpgtape DSC_2274 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1732 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Unfortunately, not as easy as I hoped.

Shoot, I was hoping to do this too. WoZ was pretty easy and it made it way easier to get up the stairs.

1 month later
#2254 6 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Just unboxed #277 today and I was wondering if anyone else had an issue around the lockdown bar mechanism?

The latch does not go in all the way into the bar notches, the bar itself does not go down low enough to align with the sliding mechanism... the brass screw are all the way up so the sliding mech is at high as it seems to be able to go but it is still too low to slide in nicely. It is only missing like a smidge but enough so it does not lock all the way -_-
Could it be that the locking mech was screwed on the cabinet just a little low? anything else that can be adjusted?

I received my game on Thursday and I'm having this exact same problem. Took a half an hour to get the lockdown bar to latch properly while trying various positions of the 2 screws. None of them would work.

I have it at a setting that is extremely tight right now (can't be good for the mechanism). Not sure why it's a problem. Should something be holding the slides upwards? They just hang too low?

#2257 6 years ago

Tonight my #1 drop target wouldn't stay up and it was compensating by giving out multiball by only locking 1 ball.

Ran the drop target test and it was logging a drop target up error each cycle.

Looked at drop mech and found that the E-clip, washer and 2 springs were missing. Found them inside bottom of cabinet.

When I put the E-clip back on it seemed much looser than the other 2. Seems like a bad/bent E-clip.

#2261 6 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I will have to spend some time checking alignment and positioning. Maybe need to move the lockdown mech a little higher?

Let me know what you find. Mine is totally goobered up.

1 week later
#2362 6 years ago

The sensitivity of my pop bumper switch seem to drop a lot yesterday. Quick look under the pf with switch test and it seem like it's making contact but doesn't register the switch until I press harder on the skirt. Am I missing something here? Didn't want to mess with adjustment in case it's something else.

#2369 6 years ago

Trying to install my lighted speaker kit. One of the delicate tabs on the 3D printed speaker mount didn't survive shipping.

So, while I try to glue that, I was working on the other side. First thing I notice is that the tiny notch in the 3D printed speaker mounts is no where near large enough to route the 4 wires thru and keep everything flush. Do I need to dremel this out?

#2370 6 years ago

This doesn't look like what I have. My slot is perpendicular to circular mount and too small for the 4 wires. Also, no screws were included, but I'm assuming I just use the original ones.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2372 6 years ago

Dremel tool it was. Enlarged the tiny slots so the 4 wires could fit thru.

The bolt pattern on the new 3D printed mounts measured a couple mm larger than the originals which was odd.

Looks good but you can see the LED strips at the bottom from my viewing angle.

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Did you keep the speaker mesh material on?

The instructions say you can reuse the mesh if you want, just put it between the new 3D printed mounts and the speakers. But the tweeter on the speaker protrudes past the mounting flange, so that would stretch the mesh.

The mesh could be cut to go under the new laser cut metal grills, but not sure how good that would look.

#2404 5 years ago

What's the best tool/method to adjust the sensitivity of the standups, they are way to hard to activate. I tried my leaf switch tool on some and needle nose on others, but neither worked too well. Or different foam???

Also, thanks goes to the post above mentioning the dual leafs on the left flipper button. Mine was factory adjusted so they both activated at exactly the same time. Fixed that and can now cradle lower left and flip upper at same time.

#2408 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I got lost was there originally being some sort of spacer there from the factory

There are 2 versions of the 3D printed speaker mounts. 1 that comes with the game and a new one for the lighted speakers that has a bunch of delicate extrusions coming off of it to help hold the LED light strip in place.

#2409 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

clean the contacts, maybe it got a little bit of manufacturing oil on it or something. Clean with a business card.

This did the trick. Thanks!

How about how to lighten up the amount of ball force to register all the standups?

#2412 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Just get a switch adjustment tool and bend the leaf a bit

My leaf switch adjustment tool's gap is only wide enough for one leaf. It wasn't working real well for me on these switches for some reason.

#2413 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When I adjusted the gap on mine to be a little more sensitive I also hand pressed the targets in hard repeatedly to break in the foam, and that seemed to help.

That could definitely help, this foam is super resilient.

#2426 5 years ago

Ordered also.

#2451 5 years ago

Finally spent a substantial amount of time to figure out why my lockdown bar is so insanely tight!! Both adjustment screws have been all the way up since day one but there's times when I almost can't get the game open or buttoned back up. Started to worry me.

I compared the lockdown mechanism mounting position to other games and measured lockdown bar with calipers to compare to other lockdown bars. Everything seemed to check out.

It was pretty apparent that the lock slide was hitting too low on the chamfered hooks to engage.

When the pf is in the down position the pf hangers hit the lockdown bar's two 90deg bent tabs and hold the lockdown bar way too high to engage. I ground off between 1/16" and 1/8" on these tabs where they come into contact with the pf hangers. I also ground the two chamfers a little larger. I moved the beer tape up against the two tabs so it wouldn't press up so much on the lockdown bar being on the bend, and that's also where it was located on my other bars.

Now, everything is working as it should. Even screwed the two lockdown mechanism adjustment screws down a tiny bit to fine tune the tightness on the lockdown bar in the closed position.

#2455 5 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

... what about the root cause in your opinion? Is the lockdown mech installed too high in the cabinet? The PF hanger too thick/high/bent? the bar itself not right?

It seemed like when the two 90deg bend tabs on the lockdown bar hit the pf hangers, the lockdown bar was sitting too high relative to the side rails. Can you post a photo of the gap between your lockdown bar and side rails? I didn't take a before. One thing you should try is to latch the lockdown bar with the pf UP so the hangers are out of the way. If it's like mine, it will probably lock in normally.

Since the pf hangers sit on the lockdown mechanism, raising or lowering the mechanism wouldn't change the distance between the top of the hangers and were the lock slide needs to engage the hooks on the lockdown bar.

I ground off material on the two 90deg bend tabs which lowered my lockdown bar enabling the lock slide to engage AND also made the gap between lockdown bar and side rails much smaller (like it should be).

#2482 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I couldn't forget the idea, so. ..

I think you may be able to simplify your design by adding a thin flange on the top to sandwich it between the original 3D printed speaker mount and the wooden speaker panel. Then you wouldn't need to use printer time printing the geometry of the mount that came with the game.

#2483 5 years ago

Installed my fanless power supply today. Wow, what a difference. It'll take some time to get used to not hearing the whiney fan anymore after game overs.

#2484 5 years ago

Regarding the tight lockdown bar, I noticed today that the pf hangers don't seem to be supporting the pf. I have no idea what is. I can run a piece of paper under these things. The hangers wher what was keeping the lockdown bar too high and preventing it from easily engaging and disengaging when raising the pf.

Can anyone solve the mystery?

Here's pics of both hangers (left and right, all 4 sides look the same). Notice the gap, goes all the way thru.

pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).png

pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

#2492 5 years ago

The fanless power supply that Scott recommended in an earlier post is a little larger than original so I had to drill 4 new pilot holes for mounting screws. The red/black cable is a stretch but it's long enough to make it. The input and output terminals on new PS are in different order than original so make sure you reconnect everything properly.

#2508 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have the same issue

Safest thing to do is figure out why it's so tight before grinding anything. That photo is is after grinding, you cans see my sharpie mark and where I ground a little over 1/16" off the tab. Same on other tab in slightly different position.

I think the lockdown bar is hitting the 2 playfield hanger hooks and they are holding the lockdown bar up to high relative to the lock slide mechanism.

Something weird is going on but not totally sure what it is. You can see more pics of hangers sitting too high in my other post.

#2527 5 years ago

I installed a ColorDMD spec LCD panel in my TNA today. Wow, what a difference! Turns out the stock HDMI to LVDS converter board used on TNA can be reprogrammed with a 1920x1080 firmware file using something like this https://tinyurl.com/y7q6jx36 or you can just buy one of these https://tinyurl.com/y7l6m9yy specifically matched to your HD panel such as one like this https://tinyurl.com/ydel6ahz

Major improvement for the contrast and viewing angle. Pinks and greens look amazing too!

And in typical ColorDMD fashion, first game, I had my best game yet with 5 reactors destroyed!

TNA1080sm (resized).jpgTNA1080sm (resized).jpg

#2529 5 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Wow is that using the panel you've linked to?

Same specs as that link, but I didn't buy my panel on eBay from that link though.

#2546 5 years ago

To me, this game is so RAD (pun intended) that I'm happy to do these under-the-hood mods. Swapping out the display costs less than half the price of fanless power supply. The links I posted above are for the DIY type. No plans to ever offer any kits. You just need one or two parts and some basic tools plus electrical tape to re-mask off the edges of the bracket. Super easy and the improvement is bad ass!

#2553 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Scott's masterpiece deserves it. A game in my lineup deserves it.

That pretty much sums it up.

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

will that screen need anything to mount it?

Nope.

1 week later
#2663 5 years ago

Does anyone else get a lot of stuck balls above right orbit switch from soft plunges? I haven't tried adjusting the switch yet, because it's pretty much fixed in place with the 3D printed holder. It's 50/50 if game tilts when trying to shake it free.

#2667 5 years ago

The bracket is not 3d printed and the switch is easily adjusted.

OK, I'll look at it tonight.

When I received my game, the left outlane switch was in a position that had it 99% stuck closed (a little vibration would serve up another ball if ball save timer was active). I had to bend the wire on it to adjust. Didn't seem like the bracket allowed for any re-positioning?

#2670 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

tighten the gaps on the RAD and 123 targets to make them more sensitive.

That's exactly what I did. Way better. Did same on lower slings too.

Adjusted my left flipper switches too. Factory had both switches triggering at exact same time.

#2679 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I had to adjust the slings and I need to adjust the pop bumper.

My pop bumper suddenly lost it's sensitivity. Scott suggested I clean the switch with a business card and that's all it took. Hasn't been a problem since.

2 weeks later
#2835 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Did everybody else's side rails come this way?

Yes, my side rails and hinges looked just like that. Took some work to get them clean. Not sure what the problem is.

#2866 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Oh, and I would suggest checking the lockdown bar for sharp edges that might need filing down. One of our customers on the first day cut his right palm while playing:

Holy crap, I did the same thing but it was quite a bit worse! I've never ever even come close to this happening ever before. Totally shocked. Mine happened during game play.

Even stranger, the day my game showed up while I was cleaning off all the goo from the rails and hinges, I set the lockdown bar on a stool. I walked by it and barely brushed it off the stool. It fell and put a gash in my right achilles area of my leg. Super deep, almost needed stitches!

I got even with the damn thing when I ground it down so my lockdown mechanism would open/close without seizing up.

1 month later
#3180 5 years ago

Mine fell off into the cabinet once too. Shocking. Seemed to land the back end of the pf on the top of the sub enclosure.

2 years later
#7625 3 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Hi everyone, I'm installing a few mods on my TNA and got to the new/updated "shoot again" timer display sold at PBL. Upon pulling the old display and attempting to mount the new display with the provided smoked plastic bracket, I saw immediate room for improvement in how the new display could fit.

Does that kit come with a smoked plastic? I didn't see it in the photos.

#7630 3 years ago

OK, that's what I was looking at but didn't see anything about the smoked plastic.

3 months later
#7811 2 years ago

I finally pulled the trigger on the Pinball Life RGB LED updated Shoot Again Timer. Didn't include any instructions. Doesn't seem to fit in the game as-is. Looks like it will need new mounting holes in the playfield and the harness organizer post to be relocated for it to even fit the game? Saw someone made a different 3D printed bracket for it. I thought this would be drop in. What's everyone doing to install this straight?

#7814 2 years ago

Here are the installation notes from the PBL website since the product is now NLA. It is pretty straight forward. There is nothing wrong with the included spacer, but some have 3d printed a different variant. You basically install it in the same place but have to make 2 new holes with 2 of the screws. No need to pre drill, just make sure the display is centered in the insert.
Installation Notes:
- This will only work as a replacement for the Shoot Again display between the flippers on TNA (1 per game).
- Make sure to peel the brown protective paper from the spacer before installation (if still applied).
- You may need to slightly move a wire ladder tree to fit the display under the playfield.
- You will reuse 2 of the screws from the original display to install the upgraded one.
- You must install Software version 1.4.0 or greater for the display to function properly.

If anyone needs it, I redesigned the bracket for updated Shoot Again Timer mod so that it uses the included lasered plexi and only the original screws and NO need to make new holes in the playfield. Perfect fit on my game. STL file here. https://tinyurl.com/5xfcb566

#7816 2 years ago

If you're going the route of a 3D printed a mount for this, the one I posted doesn't need any extra hardware, or new holes in the pf, and you can't see it because the kit's black plexi piece is still used.

1 month later
#7876 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulProteus:

I don't have a 3D Printer but was hoping to install the updated ball save display sans drilling new holes on the underside of the playfield. Would anyone who has created the adapter removing that need be willing to print/sell me one? If so, please send me a PM. Thanks!

If anyone wants my 3D printed bracket version for the ball save timer mod mounting that has worked great for me and didn't require any new hardware, I can probably print a few for $20 shipped using USPS First Class (no tracking no insurance no international).

#7878 2 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

Can you share your print settings? My buddy is trying to make a few for me using a Prusa Mini

Just print it how ever you want to set the machine up with whatever hard material. If time isn't an issue then use smaller layers and higher infill %.

5 months later
#8266 2 years ago

I’m sure it’s buried in this thread somewhere, but what’s the best way to mod the scoop to reduce bounce outs? I finally adjusted my game to get further into the reactors but the bounce outs are really starting to affect my game play. Thx.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider audihere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=audihere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.