(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1072 6 years ago

Any known TNA locations in the Seattle area?

1 year later
#5434 4 years ago

Can anyone help with dimensions of the game? I am looking for main length/width and max height from the bottom of the cab to the head with it folded down. Thanks in advance.

3 weeks later
#5520 4 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Yeah the sticky sling is an artifact of a machine gunning and mis adjusted sling switch. The beta 1.3.1.b3 has a watchdog for this, but you should still adjust your slings.

Misadjusted in which direction? On the game I just picked up, the slingshot switches have a much larger gap than normal to the point they are not active enough. I have seen the sticky slingshot coil a couple times now. I would think a machine gunning problem would be from switches with too close of a gap needing more debounce logic.

1 year later
#7221 3 years ago

For anybody who was swapped playfields; is there a suggested way to disconnect the harness in order pull the PF out of the cabinet? I thought it was going to be straight forward disconnecting from the boards in the head, but some of the connectors split wires down two different branches through the pass through holes. I guess it's expected to pull some wires out of those IDC connectors? Seems weird to me, so figured I might be missing something.

#7225 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

For anybody who was swapped playfields; is there a suggested way to disconnect the harness in order pull the PF out of the cabinet? I thought it was going to be straight forward disconnecting from the boards in the head, but some of the connectors split wires down two different branches through the pass through holes. I guess it's expected to pull some wires out of those IDC connectors? Seems weird to me, so figured I might be missing something.

Answering my own question and documenting for posterity... There are two main branches of the harness that go up the head. Instead of disconnecting in the head (and splitting the connectors that have wires that go down both branches), I ended up disconnecting everything on the PF that go to the head. Looking at the game with the PF up, there is one grouping that comes down the left side, the other on the right. The group on the right (outlined in yellow in the picture) includes two gray serial cables and power wires that have chained connectors for all of the PF boards. It was easy to just unplug and pull out all of that out (after some ziptie destruction). The grouping exiting the bottom left of the PF is wiring only for the coils. I removed each and every coil and unzip-tied from the wire towers (outlined in red in the picture). After all of that, the PF pulled right out. Whew!

DSC07509_LI (resized).jpgDSC07509_LI (resized).jpg
#7235 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Why are you doing a playfield swap? Mine has some post pooling and I’ve considered buying another playfield but I am intimidated about doing the swap.

A couple days after buying the game from the original owner I noticed some post pooling. Spooky said they would send some washers. Unfortunately something like 5 plays later, I lost a sliver of art. I 3d printed my own washers from TPU material which is very similar to rubber and have played it that way for the past year. Spooky agreed to sell me a new PF at cost so that has been stored away until now. I recently decided to trade the game out and offered the new owner the PF swap as part of the deal.

It isn't for the faint of heart. The topside is super easy as you would expect. The bottom side is challenging with all of the LED light boards. Also the new PF did not come with the holes drilled out for the 10 or so T-nuts, so there is some drilling into the new shiny surface. You need to prepare your sphincter in advance.

#7240 3 years ago
Quoted from Joey_Bada_Bing:

This is just me, but wouldn’t it make more sense to just continue using the current playfield until it’s unplayable, knowing you have a minty one on hand? Just seems kinda wasteful to rip out a playfield because of a tiny little Art chip, but again to each’s own.

Indeed. That was my plan and I have sat on the new PF for several months. Since I am selling, I gave the swap option to the new buyer. He jumped at the chance at my offer to do the swap. PF swaps are above most people's comfort level.

Not mentioned was that the washers didn't stop the chipping and the damage had expanded. I lost a decent amount of art around three different posts and was starting to get some chipping at the main scoop. After stripping the PF, I can also see that the orbit rail has been scraping the PF as well. The through mounting bolts did not have topside washers on all of them.

#7243 3 years ago

Thanks. I'll share my learnings for TNA specific swaps as I go. For tools, I have only had to buy a smaller drift punch set to knock out the rails. Oh and a side note on those, I am not sure it is possible to pop those out without chipping some art off. I am so far 3 for 3 causing small damage to the old PF. One must be extra careful inserting into the new PF as the legs are bent slightly wider than holes. They try their best to scrape and scratch their way back in.

For the two other PF tear downs I have done, I have relied on pictures and obvious observable layout/connector mating for reassembly. I figured out pretty quickly that the same approach would prove problematic TNA mostly due to the eleventy billion (give or take) individual LED boards. The trouble from an assembly perspective is that they all use the exact same connector and I think only four repeating wire color groups. This basically means, there are a ton of exact duplicate plugs and it would be really easy to get them mixed up. I am not sure how the assembly workers keep these connections straight, but hats off to them!

At first I thought I would use masking tape or the label maker to mark things up, but ended up with a much better solution. I am sure I am not the first to use these, but for me it was a stroke of genius; small colored numbered stickers. I basically put numbers on the PF and matching LED board connectors before disconnecting them, and then when I had the old PF next to the new one, I added the matching numbers to the new PF location. The pack I bought had multiple sheets so there were plenty of duplicate numbers. This might have added an extra hour or so to disassembly, but I can tell you reassembly was way faster than having to continually reference back and forth with pictures and then only to find out, that one connector you care about was hidden or out of focus. I also used different colored stickers for the coils/mechs/targets/switches. Super handy. An unexpected side bonus was that my wife saw this and said "oh that looks like fun" and joined in the stickerin'. This. Never. Happens. Best $9 spent in a long time! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F9XSZFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

20201017_160546 (resized).jpg20201017_160546 (resized).jpg20201018_151526 (resized).jpg20201018_151526 (resized).jpg
#7244 3 years ago

- Added Super Spinner progress on main screen

Love this one! I am a Super Spinner addict.

2 weeks later
#7314 3 years ago

During my PF swap, it seems I inadvertently bumped the amp dials (that sub volume is extra sensitive!). While troubleshooting the resultant bass distortion, I found that the speaker cone was pressed against the cabinet hole mesh. While this wasn't ultimately my issue, it did cause buzzing and rattling that I might have dismissed as general cabinet/glass rattling. I fixed this by adding some closed cell foam tape that I had lying around. It gave just enough mounting offset while also keeping a nice seal. I did need to add slightly longer screws. If I had to do it again, I probably would have added this stuff to the perimeter of the sub box as well. It did clean up the sound a bit. I know this has been reported before, just sharing my solution.

It has also been mentioned that plugging the sound ports tighten up the base. For those with 3d printers, I did find this for an easy solution;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3309874

PXL_20201031_034733115 (resized).jpgPXL_20201031_034733115 (resized).jpg
#7353 3 years ago

Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2020-11-07 130928 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-11-07 130928 (resized).png
#7357 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Do you have lit drops in there?
If not then Rasavage might have more than one cable loose?. But, I kinda remember that empty slot being where lit drop cable goes? ... was a while ago,almost like last year now since I did that! Lol
Whichever way, TNA only had one spare slot which was used by the drops. Get it on the wrong one of two free connectors, you'll just get lights from drops and the reactor status light in funny places

Nope. All factory. Just went through a PF swap and am sure it's all correct

#7381 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwin:

While I was doing some maintenance under the playfield, I must have bumped the sub volume (I haven't touched the amp in a couple years). I noticed that even the slightest touch of the sub volume knob causes the sound to be either way too loud (completely distorted) or way too quiet. I don't have enough range in the sub volume knob to make any realistic adjustments. I remembered a post by thenotrashcougar regarding amp settings and went to review (post #1626 should be a key post for amp settings pinballlew).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/33#post-4247418
I've never been able to put my master volume past 4 without the popcorn flaking off the ceiling. I have never checked my pre-amp volume, but today I checked it based on step one in the amp setting post above, and I noticed that it's at 50.
Before I go through the rest of the steps to get a more usable sub volume range out of the amp, Scott, can you confirm that 10 or 11 is still a good approximate pre-amp starting point? My bass is set to 9 for the backbox speakers, which also appears to be way too high. Any other updated steps to the ones posted in post #1626?
I'm not sure if the factory set my pre-amp to 50, or if it was done accidentally during LCD adjustments, but after two years, it looks like I may finally be tuning my sound from baseline.

Same thing happened to me. Yes that sub volume is extremely sensitive at the point of distortion. This is definitely a don't fix it if it ain't broke kind of thing. I went through Scott's adjustment steps, and in the end modified the procedure a little bit. I put the LCD volume output to something like 20-25. I started with the sub and speaker volumes down to minimum, went into the test menu for music and set the game test volume all the way up to max (11). After this I *slowly* increased just the sub volume until it started to distort and then backed it off just a hair. After that, I just turned the main speaker volume up to what I thought was the best mix, and finished with adjusting the treble/bass tone knobs for personal preference.

That poor amp falls off a clean power delivery cliff quite harshly. If I was keeping the game, I would double check into if the amp power supply to see if it is up to the task or just replace the amp (at least for the sub) with something that can push more of a clean signal.

I mentioned in a recent post, but will repeat again; going through this I discovered there was quite a bit of buzzing coming from the sub driver rattling against the mesh covering that I was confusing with speaker distortion. After adding some high density foam to offset the speaker, it cleaned up the sound nicely.

Good luck!

#7385 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwin:

Thanks, I'll pick up some closed cell foam and see if I can get things a little more secure in there.

This is what I used; https://www.mcmaster.com/93745K73. Click the catalog page link below the part description. I can't figure out how to link McMC catalog pages directly I have a bunch of this left over from a car project from eons ago. Material type and chemical resistance are not needed for this use of course. The important specs I think are 1/4" thick, 3/4" wide and 12psi to compress 25%.

#7390 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Does it visually look any different besides the dimming of the light? It is not like it has some crazy new colors or anything right?

If you look at the fine print, it scores only in Roman numerals.

#7393 3 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

With this issue of drop target #1 not going down it seems like its not getting power - it doesnt seem like there are any connection problems...any other ideas? Ive attached a picture of that small coil to the left. The drop target itself has power because it is able to push the drop up in the coil test. The coil pull down makes no noise in the coil test so im guessing theres no power there - where would i look next to make sure its connected to power?
[quoted image]

Can you manually manipulate the actuator to poke and drop the target by hand? If the alignment is off on that poker finger thing, that part of the mech can get hung up and it wouldn't actuate.

#7395 3 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

I can manually have the arm push it down. It seems like the coil just isnt telling the arm to do anything (thats my uninformed perception of it) which leads me to wonder if its getting power. Not sure how to diagnose or where else to look for a connection issue.

Have you run the drop test with the PF up, just to confirm there isn't any movement? All coil wires run directly to the back box without intermediate connectors and plug straight to the main control board. You could check the main connector there and see if a wire has popped out there?

#7397 3 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

I tried that - i reseated all the connectors on that board too. Could the coil itself be bad?

Sure, it's possible but wouldn't think likely. Can you run a multimeter? If so, do this;

GAME POWER OFF!

1) Check continuity between the coil solder tab with the solid purple wire on the bad coil and the two other good coils. These should all be connected.
2) Check ohm reading between the two coil solder tabs for the bad coil and compare against the value from a good coil. The actual value doesn't really matter, but just double checking for a short or open of a bad coil.
3) Check continuity between the coil solder tab with the Purple-Blue wire on the bad coil and connector in the backbox. There are two coil control boards. You are looking for the J7 connector on top mounted board. It should be obvious as the only connector with purple colored wires.

#7410 3 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Thank you for this. I performed each of these tests
1. No continuity issue
2. All 3 coils had about the same reading 4.8 - 5.4
3. This was like a circus act to get the probes on both the coil and the backbox wire. No continuity issue.
Any other ideas on why the drop target will not go down when it's supposed to during game play. It also makes no noise and no movement in the coil test for going down.

Ok, assuming you are measuring at the correct end points of those connections (ie, at the solder tabs themselves and not on the end of connecting wire) at this point it sounds like you potentially have bad drive transistor or a mechanical problem that you haven't identified yet.

I think the next easiest experiment would be to swap the control wires (which ever is not the solid purple wire) on the target drop coils between target 1 (the bad one) and target2. However "easiest" would depend on your soldering comfort level.

You could also remove (testing activation and movement removed from the mounut) or physically swap the coils. But keep in mind the mechs are a bit of a pain to pull out and disassemble.

1 week later
#7439 3 years ago

That is part of the geometry. Some people have bent their metal rails, but I would not recommend it as it could make a fast shot loop SDTM. If you short plunge it will hit the top of the sling.
--Scott

If you are careful, you can fudge it a little in the middle. I tweaked the end of the rail so that on all but the slowest of rolls, it would just clear the slingshot. I think at 6.7 deg, there isn't a lot opportunity for the ball to roll slow enough to still hit the post. On the fastest loops it would hit the middle of the right flipper, but never STDM. Of course I only did this right before I sold the game. For the rest of the time I owned it, I just dealt with it always hitting the sling post. The new owner doesn't know how good he has it haha.

2 years later
#11117 10 months ago

Before powering on a new PSU, I would do an ohm check on all of the DC outputs to make sure there isn't a short to ground somewhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=RobF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.