(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Is it the same for each player in tournament mode?

I’m thinking that being able to steal locks left over from the last player really negates the need to implement some sort of “uniform experience” by implementing a tournament mode.

Added over 6 years ago:

Valid points made regarding the mystery award that I hadn't considered. My thoughts retracted.

#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Haven't followed the thread in a while so sorry if this is common knowledge... are there any estimates on when you'd get your game if you ordered one today? Just curious, thanks.

I just ordered last Thursday and was told “this summer” by Kayte. I realize that doesn’t help a ton, but that’s all I have for now. Others have tried to estimate with games produced per week and what is currently shipping (around mid 70’s last I heard)... of course after ACNC is officially announced at TPF, nobody (except those at Spooky and close friends) know what that will do to the production line.

#1479 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

After playing this game for a week now I'm inclined to disagree. I think a tournament mode makes sense for things like ensuring all players receive the same non-contextual Mystery awards in the same order.
Getting to steal a previous player's locked balls is certainly nice, but locking balls is not usually that difficult if you are careful. It certainly doesn't make up for one player receiving "Max Bonus Multipliers" in mystery when the others do not. Plus, if you know what the next mystery award is ahead of time you might decide to make collecting that a priority vs something else (changes your strategy). But the game also has contextual mystery aways like giving you another tilt warning if you are down one (or is it all)?
On the surface, I might say that tournament mode could have the mystery awards follow the same order everytime, minus any contextual awards. That way everyone knows in advance the order and can alter their strategy accordingly.
Maybe thenotrashcougar can comment further though, might not be that simple in this game.

Valid point... I hadn't played it enough to think about the Mystery award and was focusing on the random target for reactor completion. I tend to agree with you now and I'm sure we're going to see this more and more in tournaments in the future.

2 weeks later
#1706 6 years ago

Has a Groundhogs Day pin ever been done?

It could have modes that repeat and repeat and repeat over and over and over and never seem to end... with callouts like "Watch out for playfield dimples", or "Don't forget your cliffy/playfield/mantus/plastic protectors", or the ever so magical "It just doesn't play like the original".

#1750 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

For some reason, the past couple of days, I can't unsee this.

The A in Tempur-pedic is much nicer than the A in TNA!!

1 week later
#1846 6 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Just placed my order....now to wait till september

Did you get that estimate from KT? Or are you going off the Pinside estimates in the production thread? Inquiring minds want to know...

#1933 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I was just thinking the other day about the use of the 1's digit as a counter for the # of reactors destroyed...such a cool idea! Then i was thinking, it's inevitable that one day that single point will make someone the winner in a ridiculously close game. Then i noticed the scores you happened to catch in that pic :

Ok... I see the post below you now explaining it. Not as crazy as I had first thought.

1 month later
#2375 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ok Billy Mitchell...I'm gonna need a video before I acknowledge this one is legit.

Quoted from cooked71:

Apart from the un-likelyhood of 4 balls getting stuck trying to exit at the same time, the reactor is not even active. So what are the chances of getting all 4 balls up there at all?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that by the time an old man like Bryan could figure out how to use the camera on his phone, the reactor had cooled down and timed out!!

#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Would be interesting to send the old fan back to Spooky so they can check if it's defective...

Yeah... in their free time!

1 month later
#2817 5 years ago

This is posted in another thread, but eBay is having a 20% off sale on eligible items today through 7pm PDT I believe (check for accuracy). Code is PICKDADSGIFT... and link is here with more details

ebay.com link: 0606

I put a new LCD screen, HDMI controller board, and a ceramic powerball in my cart to check if eligible and all 3 were... total savings of $28 or so. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as the jury is still out on the need to replace the LCD, but thought I'd post here in case others were thinking of going ahead with any of these mods.

1 week later
#2984 5 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I would like to share something that happened at our local spot that has a TNA to remind everyone just how awesome this game is. I decided to leave work a few hours early on Friday to get some games in on TNA. This location is the only public place that has a TNA. Usually when I go there during the day there is no one playing pinball. This time however there were 3 gentlemen having a good time playing Sterns 24. I could tell they were not pinball people but just 3 guys having a drink on a Friday afternoon having some friendly competition. As I was playing TNA one of the guys walked up to me pretty drunk and said "Man this game sucks". I brushed it off and just smiled but about 10 min later one of the other guys walks up to me and says "Yeah we tried playing this and it sucks man. Have no idea what to do". At this moment I couldn't take it anymore and ended my game. I then proceeded to put 4 credits in the game and started a 4 player co-op mode. I walked up to them and told them I would like for them to play with me and that I got their game covered. They were a little hesitant and weirded out that some stranger would buy them a game of pinball and want to play with them but they all agreed and walked over. I told them I was bothered by their comments and that this game is amazing. I explained to them that I had it on co-op mode and that we would be working as a team. This blew their mind that you can even do this. The next 15 min or so was magic. I stood and coached each guy as it was their turn to destroy the reactors and explained everything to them. As we got further in the game all 3 of them were grinning from ear to ear having the best time. As our game ended they were all blown away at how much fun it was. The next 2 hours I was there (playing other games) the 3 of them did not leave TNA. They were screaming and laughing and having the best time possible. When I left the bar, each one of them shook my hand and told me thank you for inviting them and teaching them the game and that they had the best time. I also told them that we have monthly tournaments here and weekly tournaments at other locations in the City and they all said that they are def going to be showing up to one them. It blew their mind that there was even a pinball league. Never be afraid to invite people to play a game with you. You never know what might happen and in this case I created 3 new fans that I know will keep coming back to play this game. Co-op mode to me is the best possible thing to happen to this game as well as pinball in general. I can't wait for my TNA to come but in the meantime I will continue playing on location and try and invite as many strangers as I can to come play.

I nominate this for Pinside post of the year... or at least best post in this club thread!!

3 months later
#3548 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

...some people just steal shit cause they can steal shit.

And some people just complain on Pinside cause they can complain on Pinside.

2 weeks later
#3643 5 years ago

I really have no idea why people talk about this being such a fast and out of control game. I have no problems with mine at all... it's almost like I can put the ball anywhere I want anytime I want.

TNA Ball control (resized).pngTNA Ball control (resized).png
#3647 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Ever have intention of “just one game” and suddenly it’s 3 hours later? #addiction

Hmmm... now that you mention it, I’m having a hard time remembering when this doesn’t happen.

1 week later
#3736 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

The playfield in my machine isn't gonna last a year I can tell already.

In no time at all, we have gone from Spooky having the best playfields in the industry to allegedly the worst. Not sure what to make of this.

I’m not saying the problems aren’t real. Mine is holding up pretty well, and I didn’t even notice the Mylar rings rippling under my star posts until after this was brought up. Not sure I’d have noticed them otherwise. I will contact spooky for the new replacement Mylar rings to be sent out. Also noticed the left of my scoop has some clear that appears to be cracking, presumably from “steel ball meet playfield”. Not too happy about this, but if it makes the scoop easier to hit i might be ok with it. I mean, come on... my IJ mode start isnt as bad at this at rejecting solid shots that should be staying in. Thinking a cliffy is definitely needed... but also wondering if it will make hitting it even harder?

1 week later
#3788 5 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

are they needed given the scoops have mantis style protectors already?

I don’t need know that they’re absolutely necessary, but I do have some damage on the clear on the left side of scoop. And this is with less than 100 plays. But I’m also concerned about any cliffy making the scoop harder to hit than it already is. In any case, I would be in for a cliffy here if they are made.

1 month later
#4080 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

How much interest would there be in scoop protectors (similar to Cliffys)? My dad is a retired machinist and is going to take measurements on mine when he visits for Christmas so he can make me a set. I'd love recommendations for other areas that need protection as well.

I think you'd sell a lot of these. Cliffy currently isn't making these yet, so you'd be a primary source. I've had some chipping on the left side of my scoop, but overall not too bad yet. Would like to get something to prevent it from getting worse... but really want to make sure scoop doesn't become more difficult to hit than it already is. Who knows, maybe it would help if designed right. My scoop in Deadpool sucks the ball in every time I'm even close. Of course it's twice the distance as the TNA scoop, so the ball isn't moving at the lightning pace it is for TNA.

#4108 5 years ago

I wasn't around when Lionman was a thing and banned from all threads except the Lionman thread (and this one I think). My xmas wish is that they will do the same with the word "dimples" some day.

2 weeks later
#4299 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

No, operators would not like this as a player could abuse the machine with the ball in the shooter lane.

Scott, are you implying that they could somehow affect the score of their game by abusing the game while the ball is still in the shooter lane? Otherwise, I'm not sure how this would affect anything the operator would care about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if someone wants to shake a machine for no reason, they could shake it whether the ball is in the shooter lane or not... even without a game coined up. So, I guess I'm not sure why ignoring the tilts when the ball is in the shooter lane (waiting to be launched) is a bad idea. Especially since TNA has an auto launch so that once the first launch is attempted, it's game on. Ok, I suppose if there's a loose or very sensitive switch that is somehow giving points, then shaking the hell out of it while the ball is still there would potentially give someone a free game... but it would seem like a long tiring adventure not worth going on.

2 weeks later
#4474 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Oooh, fancy new website URL!
Though I must say that it seems like this game specific support stuff should be hosted on Spooky's website (www.spooky.com). But it appears to be a static webpage from approx. 1997
I guess they lack an appropriate technical resource to keep their site current.

Correct URL for Spooky is spookypinball.com not spooky.com and I agree that their website seems a bit outdated. But hey... in their defense, they have the best website in Benton, WI!

1 week later
#4576 5 years ago

Anyone try "1 Reactor Battles" with your buddies yet?
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1777
[quoted image]

My initial thought on this was that I don't want to set the "Annihilation after reactor" setting to 1 because I want to have the satisfaction of seeing what it looks like when I finally destroy the 9th reactor.

But then, after I sobered up, I realized this is a sweet idea. Who am I kidding... after only destroying 3 reactors there's no way I'm ever going to get to 9 unless I get struck by lightening and acquire magical meta-human Bowen skills in the process.

#4579 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I suggest 5.
Give yourself a challenge to chase.

Do I hear 7... ??? Going once... going twice...

1 week later
#4685 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…mine have apparently become snippers.
[quoted image]

Well... I can't hit the scoop for crap (going to try to turn down my flipper strength as suggested). I can't hit orbits either (practice, practice, practice). And took me 6 months to even beat the factory GC on my unit.

But I can strip wires like there's no tomorrow... I went to the self-adjusting type and absolutely love it. No more trying to figure out what gauge wire I'm working with. Maybe not for everyone if you're married to the old style, so try out a friends or something if you're watching every penny. But for about $20, this is one of my favorite tools in my chest.

https://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

3 weeks later
#4828 5 years ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

Haha, if only I was that strong! Even on a dolly I couldn't manage to pull it up one step. I called up a local moving company and they sent out two big guys that picked it up like it was nothing. I was pretty amazed.

Sounds like a great solution!! But now that you’re on Pinside as a new member, I feel obligated to let you know that for future games you’re obligated to drop a post on here and a local pinsider can come to your aid. Plus they can share in the joy of putting the first few games on it.

I was just in BG last weekend so this happened a few days too late for me. (Grew up there and all my family still lives there).

1 week later
#4897 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've put strips of mylar around the scoop as well, probably after 700 or so games. It still looks good, but I would do that with yours to prevent further wear.

I got the black washers for free from Spooky... prefer the look of the clear washers you linked on Amazon. Haven’t put them on yet, but now I’m going to break out the mylar based on your experiences as well. Beginning to think it’d just be easier for you to come visit!! Probably a few other things to work on as well.

3 weeks later
#4987 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am a huge meme/video guy and this just reminds me of this scene from Iron Man

My editing skills are definitely not on par with Scott Danesi TheNoTrashCougar (i'll admit, my editing skills suck), so please forgive my hack job... but otherwise, this is probably quite in line with what you're thinking when you view that video.

3 weeks later
#5222 5 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

rai - thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate the constructive approach. I went back and re-worked the instruction card text to update the multi-ball verbiage and swapped the "Mystery" text for a Skilshot summary. This look better?
[quoted image]

Did you scan the artwork to start this? or did you get it from Spooky/Scott? I'm just asking as I'd like to create my own (not for sale) and go a different route, but would need the art to start.

#5243 5 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

[quoted image]
Uploaded a gif and pinside converted it to a picture.

FYI... to upload a GIF, you need to change the resolution to "Original Size (no rescaling)" prior to attaching it. It's an option just to the right of the Attach image dialogue button.

2 weeks later
#5271 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I actually removed the flipper bats on my TNA. Nudging and slings only!

Mine are still original... but many times I don’t get a ball on the flipper anyway, so it pretty much plays the same as yours. Sling, sling, pop bumper, sling, outlane!!

1 week later
#5328 4 years ago

I've heard of Mr Pinball, but never used them. I am not sure I can comply with the recommendation for their site, however, because I've bought quite a few pins recently from Cameroon, Nigeria and the Ivory Coast with zero issues. Ok, well, actually, the purchases were a couple months ago and technically, the pins are still in a crate on their way to me so I can't vouch for a trouble free transaction quite yet until I receive them. But Mr Ngwa Paul assures me that he stands behind his sales 100% and has been giving me tracking numbers with geolocation position of the ship on a weekly basis. It's nearing Miami based on latest communication.

3 weeks later
#5403 4 years ago

Correct. Also, the software knows this happens. I wonder if I should make a funny callout for it. I have seen this on my game as well if you do not hit the first drop straight up.
--Scott

If the software knows about it, maybe just have the first drop come down (via software)? I would say this happens about 1 out of every 10-15 multiballs on my TNA and is frustrating for sure. I'm not arguing that it's not a square enough hit... but I do know that it's hard enough of a hit to give the first ball sufficient energy to drop the second target. I guess in my mind, if I have that much energy imparted, it just doesn’t make sense for the first drop to stay up.

#5405 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I very rarely have this happen on mine, and I would not want software to control the physical part of the game, I just need to hit it better/harder/straighter... "play better". I will say no other game I play makes me curse more than this one, and it's all at myself usually for bricking the shot trying to start multiball on ball 3 for an stdm when the next reactor is primed to go.

I see your point... I guess it was just a knee-jerk reaction on my part when Scott posted that the software knows about it. For the record, my goal is always to "play better"... that's why I play pinball almost daily.

1 month later
#5574 4 years ago

I understand this completely... I've made posts before and after reading and pondering for a minute or so decided I didn't need to stir the pot. I generally just swap it out for something positive and most people never know (since I changed my mind within literally a minute and don't fill in the edit comment box). In this case, I would have suggested...

Scott Danesi is AWESOME!!

2 weeks later
#5646 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Speaking of skill shots, I have an absolutely terrible time ever getting my plunge to go through the top lanes. Either too soft or too hard. Any suggestions?

Quoted from Rascal_H:

I have the same issue. Just really tough I think. I’ve even played with different shooter rod springs.
It weird because I can basically hit any lane I want on my CFTBL which is a similar skill shot.

Scott is leaning back in his chair, with an evil grin and thinking to himself... NAILED IT!!!

3 weeks later
#5784 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

See....if they had asked me the same thing, I just would have said F' NO!

But nobody else can say F' NO! and still give you the warm fuzzies like you do!!

11 months later
#7001 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

My guess is that this is simply more work than a designer wants to program for, and that's fine.

LOL is a mis-used term at times, but I really did get a chuckle out of your last sentence. Yep, you pretty much nailed Scott Danesi here... lazy sob!! He really should spend more time on this game.

9 months later
#7804 2 years ago

I’m going to assume that most of you upgraded to the green plastic protectors… or if you didn’t, you had the factory clear protectors from the start. But on the off chance that anyone needs a clear set of plastic protectors, I’m clearing out my closet and will give them for free if you pay shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=Pinzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.