(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,941 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2016 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

What?! You mean you can't change software to the whim of every pinsider?! GOOD DAY SIR. I SAID, GOOD DAY!

Is there a meltdown wizard mode after you beat reactor 9 with crazy synth music and the ultimate light show and a chance for another 2mil in points.?

Not that I’ll ever ever beat 9 reactors. I will need a menu option to make it a 3 reactor wizard mode.

#2039 6 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

I will resist the urge to do this when I get my game. I want to earn it and with it being my only machine I have the rest of my life to get better at it. But I may break a few years down the road.

Initially I’ll setup my TNA super easy, since I still suck, and it’s great to still make progress. Meanwhile advance the difficulty as I get better at it..

On my DI I started with super easy presets, and it reduced the frustration enough to really advance my flipper skills.

Now I can do decent live catch, drop catch, post pass. Still lacking the intuition and execution big time.

What really got me hooked and buying a TNA is watching how it forces great flipper skills, emphasis on control, variety of back hand shots, deceptively simple rules, killer light show, killer sound. Basically the perfect pure pinball machine.

#2060 6 years ago

My TNA is shipped and making it's way to the west coast! Looking forward to getting my butt totally kicked by this thing.

#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like a mod/topper that is an arm which gives my a Doug style high five anytime I get a new high score.

Can someone please make that happen?

That sounds awesome.

Cointaker will have the Laseriffic toppers in a few weeks. If you write them they will put you on the list to be notified when it arrives.

#2076 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sterns exciting Iron Maiden announcement did nothing to dampen my enthusiasm for this game. I'm more excited than ever.

Totally different games. One of my friends in Germany got hooked on the music. I really think if it was sold in Europe it would be off the hook popular.

#2082 6 years ago

From the videos the game just ends after reactor 9. I’m sure over time Scott will plant new Easter eggs.

#2086 6 years ago

6 month waiting line. It’s not an impulse buy.

#2096 6 years ago

Wow the machines look fantastic. Counting down the days!

#2118 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

It really does seem like there hasn't been any real movement in the last few weeks. Maybe it's just perception...

They had TPF. Recovering from TPF. Launching Alice. Lots of stuff.

I think it's to their disadvantage in terms of the "transparency" they have on every shipment that goes out being discussed here. It's easy for customers to get hypercritical, with no visibility of all the things a small company has to do day to day.

#2123 6 years ago

Are there multiple post mounting points for the outer drains? Just thinking of ways to make mine n00b friendly.

#2149 6 years ago

Just received my TNA and put a few games on it. Love it!

Only one issue so far - my 48V supply (a meanwell SE-600-48) has a SUPER loud fan. Video below.

Seems like something is wrong with it? I have several meanwell supplies on other stuff and I’ve never heard one like this?

Thanks!

#2155 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It's loud and normal.

Ok. Probably forced to install a better psu cooling solution..

#2165 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I replaced my power supply fan the other night with one of these amazon.com link »
slightly less wattage fan, but much, much more quiet. Lots of screws to remove to take the power supply out of the game and take it apart, and had to rewire the end connector as the replacement is a 3 wire while the one in the ps is a 2 wire, but was maybe a 30 minute job and I'm much happier now.

Nice. So a 60mm 12V fan is what’s needed? Probably can add a fan pwm controller to that third pin.

Can you post a picture of the old PSU fan? Just to see the make and model.

The psu is 48V out, so there must be an internal 12V supply for the fan etc.

#2166 6 years ago

Ok I ordered the 60mm fan. And also this fan controller. That I will mount external to the supply. To tune the fan speed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M2HKSN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

The supply used is very high quality (Meanwell), but actually not that expensive ($70). It's a SE-600-48V supply.

The supply operates at full load up to 40C, then de-rates up to 60C. There is no active ventilation in the machine, so it depends how hot it gets. But likely the fan can be turned down a bit for normal operation. Would be goo to know how loaded the 600W supply is.

#2167 6 years ago

So the strangest thing happened to my TNA today.

We got it last night. I but 50 games on it. Everything was great.

My 9 year old got up and started playing. On her second game the machine was stuck in a ball search.

I had a look and only 3 balls in the trough. Hmm. No balls anywhere on the table or in any scoops.

I pulled the playfield up. Looked through the case. No balls laying in the bottom of the box. Anywhere.

How could ball 4 disappear into thin air? I added a 4th and playing it again.

Totally stumped where ball 4 could hide?

#2173 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Check the scoop! Same thing happened to mine today! It was in the left scoop which is no longer firing during game play or testing. I lifted the playfield and wires look fine. Ironically I was coming to post this issue when I saw yours!

I can certainly use some quick advise as my son is havin a party right now and he only pin not working is TNA!

I added a 4th ball, and the game is playing fine. All scoops are empty. This AM I looked around all the slings and didn't see a ball hiding.

LOL. How can an entire pinball be missing!! I will keep looking around for it.

#2175 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

It's not in the cab? CrazY!

I looked around with a flashlight and didn't see it. Possible it's hiding somewhere. Arrgh!!

#2183 6 years ago

I found it! I found it!

2BD9B41A-A4B9-4471-BEF5-3FF8168F73DC (resized).jpeg2BD9B41A-A4B9-4471-BEF5-3FF8168F73DC (resized).jpeg

#2185 6 years ago

So my sub makes that awful “flub” sound end of game when the bass really hits. You know that sound you don’t want to hear out of a sub.

I went to adjust it (sub volume knob closest to the front of the cab) and oh my goodness it’s touchy. Tinyest change and the sub goes nuts.

Is it possible to tweak the sub to get an easier adjustment?

#2187 6 years ago

Spent more time tweaking my sub settings. Really touchy. Finally lucked into a setting that’s about perfect without distortion.

Given how touchy sub volume is on the 2.1 car amp, likely out the box you will want to tweak it to avoid distortion. Mine is sounding perfect now.

#2191 6 years ago

Hitting the right orbit is kicking my butt. Is it hard for anyone else? Also struggling to hit the scoop with the right flipper. Doing better back handing it.

This game is just wonderfully brutal. With enough forgiveness with the saves to not demoralize you.

I went to 5 balls. Tweaked the save times up. And it’s a tiny bit more friendly.

#2194 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it happens again, I'd try one size smaller ring around the posts. Best turn game off to get the ball out so you don't short anything.
LTG : )

It just happened again on the same side bumper. Basically it gets kicked back and forth and gets enough power to drill into it and lock.

It has a thick rubber band around the whole kicker. Which one would I buy to hopefully fix it?

#2235 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think what Scott is doing thinking outside of the normal box much like Safecracker is different from other pins, it puts TNA in a great position as something different in a collection of mostly same games for me because I have all modern pins of the last 10-16 years.
Plus it gives a different twist on the way you play.
Just hope it’s easy to figure out how to start what type of game. I’m hoping maybe this will get my wife or kids interested in pinball.

My 9 year old is all over TNA and likes it a lot better than my DI. I think the simplicity and light show is really appealing. Even as it brutalizes you. Cranking it up to 5 balls and increasing the save timers made it family friendly..

The thing is, it’s making my DI a lot less fun.. it seems pathetically slow now.

#2255 6 years ago

109 here and I have to wiggle the bar a bit to get it to lock down. It takes a little positioning.

#2267 6 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Anyone thinking of selling there’s ?

I bought mine after offering a premium to another pinsider in line. Cost a nice premium but couldn’t be happier. You can always throw around $$ to see if anyone will bite.

Mine sits next to my Dialed In. It’s so fast and exercises so many flipper skills I really feel it has elevated my play in DI drastically.

#2270 6 years ago

But in the settings you can select at what reactor you get a free ball. Mine is 2 and 5

#2276 6 years ago

Just updated to 1.2 and played co-op with my 9 y/o. We had a great time working together. She loved co-op mode, and the whole idea of us vs the game.

#2282 6 years ago

I received a 60mm stealth fan from Amazon. I'll attempt replacing the super noisy stock fan in the PSU with the new one to cut down on the noise. My game room is comfortably silent even with my DILE, so I'm compelled to swap it out.

#2303 6 years ago

I paid more than $1k on top to buy a space in line. Not saying how much.

Totally worth it. I can’t stop getting punished.

#2330 6 years ago

My upper flipper return spring broke last night. It’s a tiny spring. Definitely not up to the task. Mine is 109. Hope they change it in future builds.

#2340 5 years ago

My 9 year old daughter had a sleep over party. I have TNA sitting side by side with my DILE.

All weekend they wanted to play co-op mode on TNA. They love working together to beat the reactor. High fives and good times. And always they wanted me to also play co-op with them. Which turned it into a great bonding time.

My wife who isn’t yet into pinball also got really into co-op.

So I have to say for us co-op is the single best feature of TNA!!

8C9CE8EF-D10C-40F2-9D18-B634FC5808CC (resized).jpeg8C9CE8EF-D10C-40F2-9D18-B634FC5808CC (resized).jpeg

#2342 5 years ago

Yah we made I through reactor 4 together. High fives and cheering. But the girls were sad when they didn’t get to register the app 2M score.

Having a co op high score would have meant a lot to the girls.

#2352 5 years ago

Nice!! I got the speaker grills but can’t figure out how to install them. Any info?

#2418 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Has anyone ever solved that loud ass fan issue ?

Yes. But it requires the disassembly of the power supply. Not trivial.

#2434 5 years ago

Before swapping the fan in my psu it was a screamer. With the game idle it literally gave me a headache.

$10 to swap in a quiet fan. It requires the removal of the psu and pulling it apart.

Buying a $210 fanless Meanwell works too. I prefer the $10 option.

#2439 5 years ago

Here’s some pics for swapping the psu fan. You need to remove the psu from the machine. Open it’s case. Remove the screws from the PCB to free the fan. Cut the fan wire from the old fan. Solder it on the new fan.

About an hour of work. $10 in parts.

The mod cut the noise down by 80%. Now it’s great and not annoying at all.

C1A9F7A1-5590-4721-B254-995FBDFE6A8E (resized).jpegC1A9F7A1-5590-4721-B254-995FBDFE6A8E (resized).jpeg
F9A4AD22-C70D-438A-AB89-9799673B80B9 (resized).jpegF9A4AD22-C70D-438A-AB89-9799673B80B9 (resized).jpeg
AE348EC4-04BA-4498-87F6-ECE88B33B47D (resized).jpegAE348EC4-04BA-4498-87F6-ECE88B33B47D (resized).jpeg
7BFA6A70-7A03-49E0-8910-4DB913027746 (resized).jpeg7BFA6A70-7A03-49E0-8910-4DB913027746 (resized).jpeg

#2445 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Usually (not always) if you look at the fan closely there will be arrows embossed in the plastic indicating the direction of airflow.

Yes both the stock and new fan have arrows. Although reverse airflow will work ok.

The caps hold over time won’t be more than 10s. So no issue for shock.

But as you can see the mod is not for everyone.

I’m super happy with my quiet TNA now.

#2450 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is the psu difficult to remove from the game?

Just 4 screws attach it to the box. Then you need to remove the AC input and 48V output. I took pictures of the wiring in order to make sure I made no mistakes when re-installing it. The AC wires are a bit short, but overall pretty easy.

Make sure the machine is unplugged.

#2468 5 years ago

Nice 4 reactor score. I cranked mine to 5 balls, and generally make it to reactor 3 on a decent game. Have never visited reactor 4.

#2474 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Dang right orbit shot is a killer for me. Left orbit is much, much easier (but not a gimmie for my skill).
Is there a list of skill shots? I only know if the quick lock and of course top lanes which I also find pretty difficult to plung hard enough but not too hard.

I brick 90%of my right orbit shots also. It’s just a super tight nasty shot.

So I just post pass to right flipper and use left orbit to enter the reactor.

3 weeks later
#2729 5 years ago

So the ceramic power ball is just ultra fast?

man you guys making your TNA harder. Mine kicks my butt. I run the timers longer with 5 balls. Reactor 4 is where my journey ends.

#2759 5 years ago

If there is any doubt about TNA as a family game. It was the highlight of my daughters 10th birthday party. The girls spent maybe 90m playing co-op mode.

We love it!!

1 week later
#2799 5 years ago

Put a sheet of stern HD glass on my TNA this weekend. Super nice improvement with a lot less glare/reflection. Not a bad $240 upgrade.

1 month later
#3204 5 years ago

I’m glad I swapped the fan in my psu. As I share the room with a PC and VR. Was pretty painless.

But yah depends on the situation and person.

I also have a new LCD and yet to install it.

1 week later
#3245 5 years ago

I just swapped my LCD with the LG panel in this thread. You have to swap both the screen and lcd control board since the resolution is different.

It’s better but still disappointing. The viewing angle still greys it out, and blacks still suck. It’s better than stock but not worth the effort imo.

Hoping someone links to a better panel.

I tuned the settings best I could. The lg panel just pretty much sucks.

#3262 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Something doesn’t sound right... the swap gave me a night and day difference

Have the link for the panel you used? Maybe there are variations.

#3292 5 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You are welcome to come over and see what mine looks like. To see if there is any difference.

I ordered the same one.

After seeing the TNA at cax, mine does look somewhat better. I’d def be down to drop by and play some pinball sometime, and check it out.

#3300 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Dumb question of the day...Is there any technique to help get the lock down bar to latch easier? I struggle with this on TNA more then any machine I've ever owned.

I ended up cutting the "teeth" of the lock bar some to it could engage cleanly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=OnTheSnap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.