(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg
20240310_214123 (resized).jpg
20240310_214158 (resized).jpg
20240310_214519 (resized).jpg
20240310_142704 (resized).jpg
IMG_3820 (resized).jpeg
20221212_214152 (resized).jpg
Untitled22ja112 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 6 years ago

Check is in the mail, just waiting for confirmation email. I was told somewhere in batch #3
TNA rules! Both definitions

Added over 7 years ago: UPDATE: Confirmed spot #104 today

#120 6 years ago

So looking at that photo, it looks like the TNA cabinet design is very similar to an Early 80s Bally (flatter playfield angle, shorter hight backbox), but also has the modern folding backbox design. Glad they designed the new cabinet with a throwback feel. TNA will fit right in with my FG, blackout, seawitch row

2 months later
#429 6 years ago

Looks great Scott! So nice to see you keep making improvements fixes to the game

I had a question regarding the bonus presentation at the end of the each ball, and if you had any thoughts about changing it.

One of the most enjoyable things on early SS pins is watching the lighted bonus playfield inserts countdown & hearing the unique sounds at the end of your ball. Some bonus countdowns on games like Space Shuttle, Seawitch, Flash Gordon really execute this very well. It's just so satisfying to watch your ball bonus rack up your score after you drain. IMO that effect would fit perfectly with TNA.

I mean you already have those lighted bonus inserts on the playfield (which is a pretty rare thing these days), but now they just sparkle randomly with the other playfield lights while the used ball save bonus, reactor bonus & standard bonus scores are displayed on the LCD. Just seems like those playfield bonus inserts & the bonus presentation could be better implemented? Perhaps you could add a bonus inserts countdown effect, then hear the booming bass & sparkle effect?

IDK.... something to think about. Just throwing ideas your way. The game kicks serious ass

#434 6 years ago

Yeah Quicksilver is another excellent example of a sweet bonus countdown effect

1 week later
#537 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

That's the beauty of it, nobody really knows for sure because nobody's been all the way there yet!
It's all just rumour and mystery. Love it!
PS> For the record, I predict that if you blow the 9th reactor TNA will overload the shaker, subwoofer, and LEDs in an awesome explosion of lights/sound/motion that totally destroys the game but is so incredible that it's totally worth it! Game over man, game over.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think that if you beat the game it actually makes you time travel to the future!

Yeah I'm just going to tell friends that come over that TNA is an actual time machine. Just beat the game & off you go! From looking at the photos, I'm pretty sure I saw a flux capacitor nestled underneath the playfield too. And for $6000, that's actually really good bargain for a time machine/pinball combo!

Since the odds are extremely high that nobody in my house will ever destroy the 9th reactor, no one will be able to prove me wrong either

1 week later
#607 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Each person put one Golden Sac (Sacagawea dollar) in the slot.

My buddies & I have added a little variety to Sac Rack wagering. Some might enjoy...

Instead of using Sac dollars we use presidential $1 coins, because dead presidents are way cooler! The President coins are always stored inside the coinbox & never leave the house. There are only 39 President coins, so we use one Sacagawea as the 40th coin.

Everybody buys in for $10 in singles. The coins are laid out on the bar & everyone picks their favorite gold presidents. There's always a fight over Martin Van Buren (killer sideburns). We also have an additional $10 per person side bet (more on that later). All the cash goes in the coinbox.

Then we play 4-player games, everyone betting dollar per game using the sac rack, highest score takes the 4 coins. After 10 rounds, everyone pulls out their wad of presidents, and the $40 in singles get paid out to each player based on number of coins.

As for the $40 side bet, we use a random number generator app to pick a random number from 1-40. Whomever is holding the presidential coin that matches the number wins the cash (ex. Random Number 16 = Abraham Lincoln). And it's a great way to learn about presidents! Pinball, beers & US History! What's not to love here?!?!? Plus if you got your ass handed to you all night, you still have a shot to win some money.

The only thing we'd love to have is a POTUS PERCH from Pinball life, instead of a Sac Rack, loaded with stars, some stripes, bald eagles, liberty bells, and freedom. A fan can only dream right????

presidollars (resized).jpgpresidollars (resized).jpg

1 month later
#948 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We do have some super pretty apron cards he could sign...

GREAT IDEA: You've got the perfect alternate apron card right here. Use the wallpaper image you just released. Print them up on nice stock paper, sell them on Pinballlife website for $5.

Customers can request a custom personal message for the card when placing their order, and then Scott can sign them with a metallic silver sharpie. It would really pop on the black background of the card. How about his signature & your TNA #? You had me at whitewood? LIONMAN? The possibilities are endless to have your own customized TNA apron by the great Scott Danesi! And he doesn't even have to leave his office!

Keep the stock ruleset apron card on the left & swap out the one on the right with the alternate signed apron card. I'd pay $5 for that! Make it happen guys

apron card (resized).jpgapron card (resized).jpg
cards (resized).jpgcards (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1276 6 years ago

Forget the pinball machine for a minute...

Been listening to the TNA album on Spotify all weekend. Just wanted to say I’ve been listening to a ton of electronic/synthwave music for years. This album really stands alone on it’s own. Top notch from top to bottom, really blown way Scott. Steam Generator definitely my favorite track by far.

I hope you consider shopping it around to some vinyl pressing companies. With the retro theme & great pinball soundtrack backstory, you might get someone to do a run for you (on pink colored vinyl of course), and might even help you sell some more pins! Record Store Day release anyone?

Again well done bud

3 weeks later
#1576 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

– Jackpot lightshows improved.
– Bonus now includes bonus total at end of bonus count. Also new lightshow and sound for that.
– New Tilt warning sound. Replaced the public domain missile siren with custom effect.
– Reactor inserts now glow Orange when targeted indicating Extra Ball when applicable

Awesome dude! Besides the gameplay enhancements, this is the kind of stuff that gets me excited Thank you for tweeking the bonus countdown lightshow/sounds. Can't wait to see it!

1 week later
#1788 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love TNA because it’s hard, and I sold Star Trek because it was too smooth and boring. Funny how tastes differ.

Amen brother. Did I hear someone say Flash Gordon?

Can’t wait for TNA to kick my ass & teach me a lesson

#1818 6 years ago

Once you've been around for awhile & have played different pins from all different eras, you begin to realize what you like. Everyone is different, so take other people's opinions with a grain of salt.

I have come to the realization that I prefer games that kick my ass & frustrate the hell out of me. Games like that keep you coming back for more & eventually make you a better player. The harder a game is, the less likely you will get tired of it. Easy pins bore the hell out of me. When you keep getting pissed off & the game keeps fighting you back, you keep pressing start over & over. You want to do better & show that pin what's up! At least that's how I feel.

Personally I love early 80's solid state Bally/Williams pins, due to difficult gameplay, killer sounds & the incredible fantasy/sci-fi artwork. Great to play with friends as well as the games go quickly. There is no better era in pinball IMO. Think Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, Centaur, etc etc.

Modern pins are pretty sweet as well, but if the gameplay isn't difficult, it better have some well-executed competitive code. I've stopped chasing the "next new thing", I could care less what's next from Stern. Just give me modern pins that are already developed, proven & great for competitive play. Think Ironman, Metallica, TWD, Tron. Basically anything Lyman coded. Yes I am a Lyman prude, for good reason.

That's why TNA fits the bill for so many reasons. Classic early 80s design & brutal gameplay, with modern lighting & sound. The best of both worlds. I expect it will never leave my collection.....once I finally receive it this week I think Spooky has realized they have something special with TNA, and that it certainly has scratched an itch for many pinball fans out there. They need to make more games like this in the future.

#1823 6 years ago

TNA style gameplay/design/sound/lighting + classic 80's adult-fantasy-scifi theming/artwork = $$$$$$$ for Spooky

Very excited for the future. TNA has opened the door for this kind of stuff. I hope so at least

BG1 (resized).jpgBG1 (resized).jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1867 6 years ago

#104 has reached critical mass!

Time to get annihilated!!!

Mugsy approves

18F77720-58D8-4B62-92F0-EC0EF8D84103 (resized).jpeg18F77720-58D8-4B62-92F0-EC0EF8D84103 (resized).jpeg
94148071-DB38-4E17-92B5-907D85E7A22E (resized).jpeg94148071-DB38-4E17-92B5-907D85E7A22E (resized).jpeg
E8F93C7A-EB6F-4112-A413-F6E8658FCC92 (resized).jpegE8F93C7A-EB6F-4112-A413-F6E8658FCC92 (resized).jpeg

#1880 6 years ago

Anyone else out there notice their beacon light making a loud grinding noise? Doesn’t seem right.

Was able to take cover off & inspect, but I don’t see any loose parts. It’s a pretty simple corkscrew/gear mech, so the sound might be coming from the motor housing?

No setting to turn the beacon off either from what I could see. Reached out to Spooky, but I know they are busy at TPA this weekend.

#1906 6 years ago

Ahhhhh..... some things just belong together

Absolutely LOVING my TNA! Believe me, it’s worth the wait.

D9E5CE46-EC7C-4905-9D25-5C6D0F39F0A0 (resized).jpegD9E5CE46-EC7C-4905-9D25-5C6D0F39F0A0 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#2122 5 years ago

This was the number one item I bought for my TNA....$9

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

This game is hard enough as it is. There is nothing more frustrating than hitting standup targets & the hits aren’t registering, especially that damn D in RAD. With this tool, I was able to make the target leaf switch gaps to super sensitive, but not so much that you get phantom strikes when the shaker kicks on. Also helps to adjust the slings in the core, you’ll get more action up there.

Game is a fricking blast!

1 month later
#2545 5 years ago

The game is so fast & crazy, so who the hell has time to look at the LCD screen??? Take your eyes off the ball & you're screwed! Watch the ball & you're screwed anyway

Only time I glance at the screen is to see what the reactor value is at. The game will call out when the reactor is maxed anyway. Once you are familiar with the game, everything the player needs to know is obtainable via the great callouts, lit inserts, or the GI lighting color scheme. Hell even the old school playfield plastics tell you what to shoot for. The screen is really just eye candy.

2 weeks later
#2703 5 years ago

Three comments about the awesome new speed run code:

1) Love the Goonies default high score names! I have a feeling I’m going to looking at Mouth, Data, Mikey & Sloth for a very long time.

2) Nor sure if it was a bug or not, but during multiball I managed to get a super jackpot in the drop target scoop & release the 4th ball for 4x scoring. I drained & had only two balls remaining for a bit, yet 4x scoring insert was still lit in pink. I thought 4x scoring was only possible when 4 balls were on the table?

3) Can you explain Chunk’s Total Annihilation speed run leaderboard? Is that the record for the time it takes to destroy all 9 reactors in co-op mode?

The speed run records are a great addition. I was finding myself worried about taking too long to destroy instead of focusing on my high score! Doh!

94CBE82C-AA32-4C49-9C5F-DD7EF3EEF335 (resized).jpeg94CBE82C-AA32-4C49-9C5F-DD7EF3EEF335 (resized).jpeg

#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Chunk's speed run score for Total Annihilation is the fastest time to beat the entire game. This would be interesting to see Bowen and Keith fight over this one.

So there must be an internal clock running somewhere that tracks seconds from pressing game start to total annihilation? Or is this speed run champ time just adding up the all the seconds it takes to beat the 9 reactors? Just curious.

Did you ever consider tying the speedrun times to the bonus scoring after each ball? Since those times are tracked, it seems like you should really get some kind of speedrun bonus points for beating the reactors quickly, besides an incentive to just getting your name on the leaderboards. I'm sure you'll put some thought into this.

My fingers are still crossed that you'll eventually tinker with the bonus sparkle lighting effects & sounds. While its great now (and I'm sure some people skip right over it), it sure would be nice to have those classic bonus countdown insert lights/sounds (something like Space shuttle for example). There's just something about watching the inserts countdown your bonus score & the pitch of the sounds gets higher & higher.

I love this game so much. Thanks for all the hard work you continue to put into this. It can only get better

#2754 5 years ago

Well the package from Pinball life arrived on Saturday, and I went over the top and ordered 4 powerballs. Felt pretty silly after placing the order, as the 4 balls ran me $200+ plus shipping. But the thought of adding one, or all of them, to my TNA was enticing as hell.

Swapped out the steel balls & threw all four powerballs in my game. Then banged out a bunch of games. Holy crap! Talk about ball action. Makes an already fast game even crazier. The powerballs are lighter, so they float & speed all over the playfield. With all of that action, there were times they were REALLY getting airborn & smashing into the playfield glass. That was a little nerve-racking, but it sure was a lot of fun.

Will all four stay in my machine? Well they're staying in there for now. I need to play some more games to decide, but I think the leading viewpoint of just one powerball is probably the way to go. It's pretty crazy with all four in there. It changes the physics of the skill shot plunge for sure. And it might be more exciting/mysterious for players when just that single powerball pops into the shooter lane. I'll always have one powerball in there, that's for sure.

With that said, I shot some video if anyone is thinking about doing this. You can see how crazy it gets during multiball. My game is setup all standard, 6.5 degree pitch, etc. Enjoy!

IMG_0006 (resized).jpgIMG_0006 (resized).jpg

#2763 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

The F bomb at the end made me laugh. The pin looked pretty wicked with four powerballs.

Ha my bad, I didn’t realize. I swear a lot when I play at home.

#2769 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

would you consider posting another video using traditional pinballs in the identical lighting conditions?

I posted to show powerball speed & action. Not to debate ball color.

Anyone who has played TNA knows there are no issues seeing the ball. Steel, white, whatever. Some of best lighting on any game ever made. Non issue. Period. I had the lights off in a dark room, hard to film correctly. Nowhere near that dark in person.

If you can’t see the ball, get some glasses.

3 weeks later
#3032 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you are quick you can cheat it and get it in there before they all go back up post multiball relase/start.

A powerball can also help your chances of a sneaky cheat. Being lighter & faster, you can really fling it back quickly into the scoop if you're lucky. Still hard as hell though.

2 weeks later
#3169 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/56#post-4421581

I tried the 4 powerballs, and it was too much to be honest. Too much action, too many balls getting airborne, etc. One powerball is all you need. That’s how I roll now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
10,000 (Firm)
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Wanted
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.