(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,971 posts
  • 507 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by TheNoTrashCougar
  • Topic is favorited by 201 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,099 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.52 PM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_20200708_213522 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
received_743793086423851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200705_152923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_101742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_152906 (resized).jpg
9B7D6E7D-25D9-4286-9AF6-732DCB266927 (resized).jpeg
20200615_132044 (resized).jpg
20200615_125902 (resized).jpg
7BA84E42-A8A8-45C4-B3D7-AA279D0701D3 (resized).jpeg
E08E3D9E-E2AF-4F00-B650-E96D265BA712 (resized).jpeg
AC31C551-91F1-4C87-A5F2-A8850C5499D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4006 (resized).jpg
20200531_203152 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (2 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (2 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (2 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (2 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (2 years ago)

Post #1958 Beacon LED upgrade and suggestions with photos. Posted by NimblePin (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 2 years ago

#126... can't wait to get this one into the game room. Means a game has to leave. :-/. Only question is: which one!!!

1 week later
#172 2 years ago

If you sit around staring at your cabinet, get the butter. If you don't,then get standard. I, personally, could care less about this option. But,everyone collects and values different variables. Nice to have the option if you do care.

3 weeks later
#192 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I think we're all eagerly awaiting the first round of tables going out!

Machines #1 and #2 have been shipped?

2 months later
#506 2 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

KT told me this morning that my game, #42, is going on the line next week. Looks like people around here may get it before Christmas. Once it starts on the line, I’ve no clue how long it takes to build and test.

Definitely check back when its finished... I'm super curious to know.

I'm #126... which I'm beginning to assume will have me land sometime in February or March.

#516 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

"Play better!" Think of it as a new achievement when you hear a song you don't recognize

Bingo

2 weeks later
#700 2 years ago

My checkbook is ready and waiting to write that final check!!! #126

2 weeks later
#821 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Yeah, I'm blown away by how much my kids love pinball. It really has a magic that cannot be virtualized. I certainly want them to keep trying, but it just isn't there.

Consider yourself lucky... my kids couldn't be bothered with it

#841 2 years ago

Can't wait for Stern to release "WWE LE" on 8-Track... while claiming they had been planning to do it all along!

1 month later
#1708 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Playfield protectors are hot garbage, and utterly unnecessary for home use games. If someone tried to sell me a game with one of those protectors on it they'd have to either cut their price or remove it before I'd take it.
Your game, do whatever you want, but if you're new to pinball stop being paranoid about your playfield.

+1 on that. Buy and play. These aren’t display items!!!

1 week later
#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

On behalf of the staff at the restaurant/bar location where my TNA is at, I'd like to suggest perhaps a configuration to replace the giant bass drops at ball end with a really cool bonus meltdown sequence (still fast, but awesome) that might not be heard throughout the entire building due to the low frequencies.
The ball drops are great but everytime someone loses a ball you can hear it anywhere in the building, which is pretty disruptive in a publc venue that isn't just a barcade.

FAIL

1 month later
#2456 2 years ago

Initial impressions: lots of fun. Have played roughly 30 games, all but one beat me up pretty good... popped off 2.23 million tho, this AM. Not sure if that's good, but felt good!

Overall build quality: great

Positives: real backglass (which I had completely forgotten about), dialed in out of the box (basically plug and play), intuitive service menu, wrapped in box (major bonus if you have tight doorways, super fun game

Negatives: fan is definitely loud (ordered replacement), LCD screen has bad off-axis viewing angles.

Spooky gets an "A"!

#2458 2 years ago

Yup. Purposely waited...

I'm just switching the fan - it's a $10 part. A new quiet power supply is more like $280.

The fan is zero problem when the game is being played... only when unplayed. Even then it's not a problem, but it is significantly louder than WOZ, IMO.

#2461 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great maybe you can walk me through the fan swap!
What do you think of the sound system?

It's fantastic

#2506 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I'll probably start with the STL file for other people to print, parts list, and pi image so the hardware tinker people can get a hold of it. If there is actual interest I can put some kits together.

Are there any install instructions?

#2512 2 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar

My right flipper gives way a tad bit when taking a direct hit from the left scoop. If I leave the flipper up, the ball drops it about 1/4 - 1/2" before snapping back up into the up position.

Any ideas on adjustments? Settings? To keep that from happening?

#2515 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Go to service-> settings->machine(standard)->Flipper hold boost and turn that up to 3.
On my machine this solved the problem and was originally suggested to my by thenotrashcougar.

Thanks!

#2544 2 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

There are mods and fixes, and the loud power supply, loud light and now 'washed out' lcd are fixes to me. I see I'll get roasted if I bring up anything negative so I'll keep my comments to myself, but I have a weird gut feeling about this.

The beacon is fine - does its job and is impossible to hear when the game sound is on. Same goes for the fan...

The LCD does have generally poor off axis viewing... elevated blacks and resulting poor contrast. Just the result of the display and one of the issues with LCD technology. Of course, some LCDs are better than others.

Do you have to change it to enjoy the game? Absolutely not.

But it’s on my list to switch out.

#2548 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You're not wrong, but it's something many people have noticed, myself included, and it bothers some more than others. I have noticed that the stock screen looks pretty good from off angles (sides, further back), it really suffers the most from the playing position, and the taller you are the worse the contrast gets.
I wonder if the stock monitor could be mounted upside down and if that would improve things? Sometimes these LCDs will have a better viewing angle in one vertical axis vs. another.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about the stock monitor.... is there a way to flip it and flip the image?

#2558 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

That's a ridiculous analogy. The fan is not a problem. It's not a detraction from the experience. You can't tell the difference between the stock fan and one that was blessed by a wise sage to never make a sound no matter how high it's RPMs go while playing. Why would I want to add cost to a game for something that has zero difference to me? It's not a cheap part, it's a standard part. You have a Wizard of Oz, that's what the fan is going to be like in TNA.

I agree that it’s not worth makinging a mountain over a mole hill. You can hear the fan when not playing the game.

You can hear it while sitting idle, however. It’s definitively louder than WOZ, but not as loud as a MegaTouch

#2560 2 years ago

thenotrashcougar

After getting some time in on TNA (awesome time, btw)... have you considered an advanced mode that makes the three bank up the middle a little more difficult? Thinking that once you complete a column to advance to qualify the reactor, if you strike a standup target associated with that column it actually removes the top lit pink insert and turns it blue?

Devilish?

Yes.

But that would really crank up the need to be accurate with target shots to get a reactor qualified and the scoop shot lit.

#2609 2 years ago

Relax, folks. Even if most agree the game doesn’t need them, let the guy enjoy his lights.

It’s his game, he can mod it any way he likes.

#2618 2 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Can we AT LEAST all agree that Pinstadiums help shed a little much-needed light on WOZ?
That game honestly needed a little additional GI lighting!

I installed it in woz and opted to take it out. Nothing wrong with the product... just depends on your own personal perception of impact.

#2621 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Hush, you two. This isn't a pinstadium or woz thread. If you want to moan about those things, moan elsewhere.

Who pissed in your shampoo? Geesh

#2629 2 years ago

So I've had the game for a few weeks and have done a couple of things to dial it in to my liking, play-wise. Thought I would share.

First off, I re-gapped the pop bumper to be super sensitive. It took some doing, but it's perfect at the moment. Also, playfield slope is currently at about 7.25.

I've changed some menu settings... including upping the coil settings for the pop to make it wicked fast.

Here's a list of changes:

*Game Play (features)*
Ball Save Destroy Reactor: NO
Ball Save Timer: 6
Ball Save Multiball: 6
Reactor Difficulty: Hard

*Machine Coil Settings*
Pop Bumper: 23
Scoop Right: 40
Scoop Left: 22
Sings (core): 7
Slight Left and Right: 8
Trough Kick: 20

*Machine Settings (standard)*
Flipper Hold Boost: 3

Add to this a coat of wax and the machine is really a lightning fast ass-kicker... it's current difficult state has cranked up that "one more game" feeling, but has also made it less accessible to novice players. I do wish there was a Reactor Difficulty that made it more difficult to unlock and heat up a reactor while leaving the first reactor kill shot at one target (second at two targets... so on and so forth) ... maybe that will eventually surface

I have a replacement monitor and will give that a go in the coming days, as I'd like to have a bit more contrast off-axis. I'll report back on how that goes!

#2632 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Initially I had thought Woz was dim or needed GI help, but since it’s in my game room and dim lighting it’s totally fine imo and probably helps the overall feel of the pin with the insert lights really pop especially in witch all lights on mode which is totally the best lighting I’ve ever seen in a pinball machine.
Here’s my brightest game IMVE next to Woz. Woz looks fine when you are playing it even in very dim room.

In agreement... I think WOZ is stellar kept stock.

#2640 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

You're welcome. I'm glad it is useful for you. I'm curious about how many others have printed. My own printer is going to be quite busy for a while.

I placed an order last night

No pressure!

#2644 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

No you will not. I have all of those installed without a distribution board. I actually bought one thinking I might need it, but it is still sitting in it’s box unopened. If it hadn’t taken so long for my TNA to arrive I would return it, but I’m sure that I’ve run out of time to do that.

Looks like you have a customer

#2649 2 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Are these still available? I noticed the link no longer works and I couldn't find another reference to it on Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4787

#2664 2 years ago

I’m not having that issue...

#2675 2 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

That's exactly what I did. Way better. Did same on lower slings too.
Adjusted my left flipper switches too. Factory had both switches triggering at exact same time.

I’ve had to adjust those lower slings several times... but I also cranked the coil power a little

Give and take

#2678 2 years ago

You install them over the wood with screws

#2693 2 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Are these pretty easy to install or are there any gotchas? I was going to install my own, along with the shaker and knocker. If it’s straightforward I’m planning to do the mirror blades myself. Else, I was going to consider the factory install.

I’ve never had any issues installing mirror blades. Just a little of patience and they’ve always been a quick procedure.

I had spooky install the blades on my TNA at the factory? They only charge a little extra... looked great out of the box!

#2698 2 years ago

Cool rule: qualify the reactor and then re-complete the center stand-up targets (inserts will turn red, not pink) for a reactor jackpot.

Could be super lucrative if you have multiball going and get the standup jackpot and blow the reactor.

#2705 2 years ago

thenotrashcougar

Scott, any tips on tweaking the left scoop? I'm getting a ton of bounce outs on what seem to be solid shots.

#2707 2 years ago

Received and installed. Great mod!

image (resized).jpg

#2710 2 years ago

Received and installed!

This is just a TNA kind of day!

image (resized).jpg

#2717 2 years ago

Why not!?!

#2719 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are there 4 of those ceramic baddies?
(The game has 4 balls in it right!?)

Just one

#2723 2 years ago

Alright Kim mr68 ,

I installed the powerball. You’re a madman, brother. Completely insane. But you’re also a genius!!

Wow. WOW! Just pumps the game with even MORE adrenaline!!! I just played a dozen games and got the same “bracing for disaster, can’t keep up” rush as when I cranked game settings to hard and increased the punch of the pop bumper.

That powerball is a permanent resident in my machine!

thenotrashcougar I can’t get enough of your creation... and all of the nuisances that you built in (love how the pop changes lit orbit starting in reactor two... the Post multi-ball Lock reset sequence... reactor jackpot via stand ups... the list
goes on)! And the build quality is perfecto! Is it my imagination, or is the backglass HEAVIER than a standard backglass, despite being a tad smaller??

And the music. Phew!! The music kicks total ass! It’s so layered as you progress through the game.

I’ll never claim to be a great player, but I’m thoroughly enjoying this machine set up hard. It’s been here for several weeks and all of my other games are sitting dormant.

FAAF7D91-C1E5-4F82-A144-53D74E006F44 (resized).jpeg

I agree with Kim, btw. All you need is one powerball. Keeps its impact fresh and exciting. Kind of mysterious

#2738 2 years ago

RATING TNA MODS

I thought it would be fun to pull together a list of mods (and game additions) and rate them, if nothing but to help awaiting owners and future buyers decide what they might want to add to their games at the factory OR have waiting at home before their game is delivered. Just about 5 months ago, I told a few friends that "I was done dropping money on mods." That was – apparently – the kiss of death, because buying TNA has opened up the mod buying floodgates (in a great way, mind you). That isn't to say that every mod is necessary. But some, I believe, are essential to enhancing the game experience. I had quite a few installed at the factory, which was painlessly handled by my distributor Joe Newhart / pinballstar . Normally I'd just do it myself, but the fees were so low, it was easy to just have Spooky do the work. So, here it goes:

1) Shaker (Rating = 4.5/5)
IMG_2145 (resized).JPG

I pre-purchased the shaker and had it sent to Spooky for installation at the factory. Cost was $99 plus shipping and few extra bucks to install (I believe Spooky charged $25 for shaker and knocker install together). Integration into the game is fantastic, adding a nice tactile touch to gameplay moments such as a low elongated rumble as the reactor awaits destruction, a massive shake when a reactor is destroyed (the latter of which is nice because a blown reactor can get lost in chaos of multiball... it's nice to have feedback that doesn't require looking at the LCD or listening for a call out), and a nice thud when the pop is activated. While the machine's powerful bass notes add some rumble, the shaker is a great addition IMO. Buy it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4705

2) Upgrade LCD (Rating = 5/5)
IMG_0758 (resized).JPG

My only disappoint with TNA (out of the box) was rather lackluster LCD screen performance. To put it lightly, the stock screen has poor off-axis viewing that leads to washed out colors and bad contrast. Blacks look like grays and the rest of the visual performance suffers. Much thanks to audihere who originally posted the parts necessary to upgrade to a better LCD experience, I took the plunge and purchased a new screen

(ebay.com link » Lg Philips Lp156wf1 Tl B2 Replacement Laptop Lcd Screen 15 6 Led Lp156wf1 Tlb2)

and driver board (ebay.com link » Hdmi Dvi Vga Audio Controller Board For 15 6 B156hw01 Lp156wf1 1920x1080 Lcd)

for a total investment of a tad over $100. I did have a few hiccups (the first screen shipped to me was DOA), but got everything worked out and the new screen is literally a night and day difference. Significantly deeper blacks and infinitely better saturation lend to graphics that look great and are easy to see. Pinks literally pop off the screen and important in-game information is much easier to read.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the old versus new. I realize a camera image isn't the best way to convey this (it's much more impressive in person), but focus on the "A" in the upper left corner of the cassette tape.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.06.54 AM (resized).png

Charlie at Spooky already addressed the screen issue (if you can call it that) by saying that Spooky had to purchase a screen that was available in large quantities. And, while the stock screen still gets information across, the upgraded screen is IMO an absolute must and it's easy to install. All you need is the new screen and driver board, a nut driver, small and large phillips screw drivers, electrical tape, and a comfort level with making wire connections. Of course, proceed at your own risk.

This is my top mod.

3) Rail Lights (Rating 3.5/5)
IMG_4953 (resized).JPG

TNA rail lights are sold by Hooked on Pinball (https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p115/Total-Nuclear-Annihilation-TNA-Side-Rail-Illumination-Kit-Pinball-Mod) and cost $105 plus shipping. They're super easy to install and look fantastic. They plug into an existing board located inside the back of the cabinet. If you're into bling, they're a must have...since they don't enhance game play, I only give them a 3.5/5. I'd buy them again, though... they look GREAT in person.

4) Mirror Blades aka Melt Down Mirrors (3.5/5)
IMG_6395 (resized).JPG

Much like the Rail Lights, these custom blades (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4787) are all about the bling. They cost $70 and can be installed at the factory. I went the factory route and Spooky provided a flawless installation. I happen to be a big blade fan, but they aren't absolutely necessary to gameplay experience. They do, however, enhance the spaciousness of the playfield and the game's masterful lighting.

I initially had ordered the interior art blades... switched to mirror blades once they became available. Glad I did.

5) Speaker Lights/Grill Covers (3.5/5)
IMG_8758 (resized).JPG

I purchased the lights/grills direct from Spooky and had them installed at the factory for $95 flat. Grills look great and the lights are integrated and interactive with the game's lighting, turning off/on and changing colors to reflect what's happening during game play. Very happy with the lights. Would purchase again. The lights are bumped down a tiny bit because they are directly visible and can be slightly harsh to the eye (seeing the individual LEDs)... but...

6) Light Diffusor (5/5)
IMG_7529 (resized).JPG

LED OCD's ( herg )speaker light "Frosted Spacer" is just what the doctor ordered (http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=34) for making the game's unique speaker lights an enhanced experience. Installation requires dropping down the speaker/LCD panel and removing both speakers. You then remove two factory spacers and add the Frosted spacer. Voila! Instant smooth lighting. It takes away the harshness of direct LED viewing and creates a ringed glow. And for $15 plus shipping... it's an inexpensive mod that delivers as promised. It's a must buy if you go the light route.

7) Sac Rack (2.5/5)
IMG_2410 (resized).JPG

The Sac Rack (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4706) is a total necessity if you're betting on games. It's a total non-necessity if you're not. It's design is great though and it's cheap $14.99 plus shipping (and you get 4 golden sacs with it). Huge shoutout to trilogybeer. Tip of the cap and I thank you, sir. I owe you one!!

8 ) Real Knocker (3/5)
pbl-100-0021-00 (resized).jpg

A real knocker costs $35+ shipping and I had Spooky install it at the factory. I happen to like the THWACK of a real knocker... not a total essential though. For me, a must have.

9) Plastic Protectors (4/5)
IMG_1586 (resized).JPG

The ball on TNA can really get moving (especially if you crank coil power on the pop or slings)... so logic would say that plastic protectors are a smart move. I had Spooky install an entire plastic protector set at the factory for $35. They're unobtrusive, well made, and seem to be doing their job thus far (knock on wood). Are they 100% necessary? Unknown... but my gut is saying yes (especially if you plan on putting the game out in public).

10) flashinstinct Decals (4/5)
IMG_5887 (resized).JPG

Flash has hit another home run with his TNA decal set. They're dirt cheap – $21 through Mezel Mods (https://mezelmods.com/collections/total-nuclear-annihilation-pinball-mods) – and add a little more flair to standup and drop targets, top of the pop, etc.

IMG_2939 (resized).JPGIMG_2003 (resized).JPG

I like them... I give them a 4/5 because they aren't "essential." But they're nice!! I'm hoping they hold up to the punishment of this game! So far, so good... but I'm expecting that the drop decals will wear over time. All in all, I like'm!!

11) Power Ball (5/5)
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.12.48 AM (resized).png

A week or so ago, mr68 glowingly posted about adding a single powerball and I liked the idea... you can read more complete thoughts about its impact, here (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/55#post-4417207). I'm a big fan. Right now, that powerball is staying! The only downside is that power balls aren't cheap. You're looking at $50+ from both Marco and Pinball Life. But, if you're a glutton for punishment and want to add an extra level of brutality to your pin, buy one.

______________________________________________________________________________________

This is by no means a definitive list... I'm sure there are a few other mods/alterations out there. Of course, there's always tweaking game settings which owners can do for free (for me, just putting the game into "Hard" mode introduced a few nuances that made game play more fun). If anyone has anything to add... fire away!

#2741 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow great post. Look forward to referencing. Thanks. LCD seems like a must. Any soldering involved? Can you elaborate on wiring connections and how you did it

Thanks! I thought about making a new thread about TNA mods. Hopefully it won't get lost in owners thread.

As for the LCD: for me it's a must replace. Others may not care, but the new screen is significantly better off-axis. It's not even close, performance-wise.

Connections are easy... there are three simple plugs from the game (power, audio and USB) into the driver board that's mounted on the back of the LCD screen bracket. That driver board has a simple connection to a control board that houses several menu buttons, in addition to a very delicate (thin) connector that plugs into the back of the LCD screen. Spooky put hot glue on that LCD screen connector. So you have to carefully peel that off... Next your remove four super small screws for the edge of the screen bracket, unscrew the driver board, and remove electric tape around the front edges of the old screen. Remove the old screen, install the new one, re-insert/screw the four small edge screws... reconnect all the connectors and you're good to go.

I didn't use hot glue for the new LCD screen / driver board connection... just some electrical tape over the connection point as it seems it could easily come apart. Also re-laid electrical tape around the screen edges as Spooky had done in the factory.

The whole process feels rather delicate. And I have to admit, I was a little nervous installing it. audihere had said to be careful and proceed at your own risk... and while it wasn't a big deal, I do say that if you choose to do it, take your time, take pictures, and be gentle. I'm not sure what a misstep would do to the game (could be nothing, could be bad). Pay particular attention to the LCD screen connector (between driver board and LCD screen). It's thin... and one side (I believe it has a green or blue stripe) faces down. Again, as you take apart the old screen, pay particular attention to orientation of that connector and orient the new one in the same fashion (the new driver board comes with its own set of connectors).

Just to note, Neil (below) is right... you don’t have to disconnect the original LCD connector on the back of the old LCD. You can, but it’s not necessary!

#2747 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

The driver board is no longer available. Any suggestions on where to buy it ?

Bummer! No... no ideas. Sorry! audihere might have an idea.

#2750 2 years ago

By the way, one mod I didn’t mention is a quieter fan. I bought one... have not taken the time to install it. Not sure I will. More of time thing, at the moment.

#2751 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I did the screen update and its worth it for sure. but you don't need to unplug the cable from the original screen and I recommend you leave it as its scary as hell to disconnect it. The driver board comes with a new and right cable to plug in. Swap the screen, swap the driver board (leave the original buttons they are they same). Hardest part was putting on new black tape round the screen straight! You then have to calibrate the colour, contrast, brightness.
I agree with the scoring above for sure although I think the shaker deserves 5/5!
Neil.

I stand corrected. You’re right, you don’t need to disconnect the hot glued connector on the back of the original LCD board. I did, but it’s not necessary.

#2755 2 years ago

That’s crazy! I’ve not had an air ball yet, but I can see that happening with more in there flying around like that.

Nice vid!

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

thenotrashcougar
Scott, any tips on tweaking the left scoop? I'm getting a ton of bounce outs on what seem to be solid shots.

To loop back, I believe I solved this issue by gently pushing down on the scoop, bending it a tad.

#2787 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The wait is admittedly getting long. I'm all paid up, and ready to get the notice to pick up. #163 and I'm excited as all out, but it's just a tad frustrating at the same time. Keep at it Spooky! I'm trying to keep distracted with other machines but cant help but think about what I *could* be playing!

Set it up right when you get it home and every game in your collection is going to feel a whooole lot slower!

1 week later
#2825 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I know this is a terrible rookie question, but I cannot find a good guide for this…what is the best way to adjust leaf switches. I see that a lot of people like to adjust them out of the box for ultra sensitivity. I would like to do that as well, but I don’t exactly know how to do it. I always end up fumbling around with the leaf switch tool until it feels okay.

First off, do it with the power off... especially if you’re using any kind of metal tool.

There are leaf switch adjusters (like this one: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518&parent=0) that make it easy to tweak.

Otherwise, you can use a small flat head screw driver and a thin awl (or any other nimble tools you have that you can bend and flex the switch to get the gap right).

It a process of tweak and test, tweak and test.

The pop-bumper switch on TNA is a little tricky to gain good access to, so I just removed the switch, adjusted, and then re-attached it.

#2831 2 years ago

Just got TNA #153 delivered yesterday. I just had a couple of questions for other current owners.
Did everybody else's side rails come this way? See pics below. Some the protective plastic and most of the adhesive goo wasn't removed around the outline of the letters. It looks like this on every letter and the Spooky logo, on both left & right sides. It's not a huge problem or anything...it seems like it'll all come off with a soft rag, adhesive remover, a little elbow grease, and A LOT of patience. Just wondering if they ALL leave the factory looking like this.
My other question is about vibrations. I LOVE the audio in this game. The bass is amazing! But i've noticed, even at Volume Level 2 (!), the bass creates A LOT of rattling & buzzing throughout the cabinet. Some of it seems to be coming from the glass, but I also hear it coming from lower down, like somewhere in the cabinet itself. Is there an EQ slider/setting, or some other way to lower the bass a little bit? Or is there another way to prevent this annoying rattle? Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just normal?
I absolutely LOVE my TNA. Instant favorite! No other real issues out of the box. Had to plug the monitor power cable back in. And I forgot to insert the backbox bolt & washer at first. Wouldn't seem to boot up until I installed that bolt. Something about completing the ground connection? They should highlight that part in the installation notes, because at first, I thought the external backbox latch was good enough. Game wouldn't boot. I was freaking out.

Mine arrived looking significantly different... and I have zero rattles. I’ve cranked the volume pretty high and it’s rock solid.

Weird that there’s so much variation... especially with something like the residual plastic on the rails. That seems like an obvious issue that they should have corrected at the factory.

#2844 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

More
Yes!
I received my TNA yesterday, and I thought it was very unfortunate that my initial impressions when it came to things such as quality and attention to detail were not good because of the left over protective tape/plastic and goo.
It was a real anticlimactic experience to be so excited about finally getting my TNA, only to be cock blocked by having to spend a fairly significant amount of time cleaning up the side rails before playing the pin (it would make no sense to set the pin up where it's going to go first because it would have to be removed in order to reach the side rails).
I completely agree, it took A LOT of patience, and it was wearing thin. While I'm still not happy about it, and I do think that Spooky would be well advised to send these out all cleaned up (first impressions count), after playing my TNA last night and this afternoon, I think that this is something that I will completely forget about soon!
Everything worked pretty much perfectly out of the box, and even my switches seem to be pretty sensitive. No issues at all. The beacon is annoyingly loud though (I turned it on for attract mode, but very quickly realized what a big mistake that was and turned it off again), and the computer fan is also louder than any other pin that I have owned (was hoping it wouldn't be too loud based on some comments that I read here). Not really an issue during game play when the sweet ass music is playing though. The sound system is amazing. The best that I have ever heard on any stock pin!
Game play is completely addicting!

Rob - your criticsms and accolades are all legit

#2849 2 years ago

Oh yeah.....you guys complaining about the fan being loud........you obviously have never been around WOZ in a home environment. Now THAT is a loud fan. TNA? Not so much!

I’ve owned a WOZ for almost 4 years... its fan is about 1/2 as loud

#2871 2 years ago

Just installed the screen & controller board I got with the Amazon links I posted a few days ago. Everything works great. HUGE difference.

I agree... it really is a huge difference!

#2889 2 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Put it up on blocks. LOL!
I think Spooky should have stuck with a modern cab.

Totally disagree. The end game design is true to the roots of the prototype that everyone fell in love with.

#2893 2 years ago

All the sudden, everything in my game connected to a coil stopped working. Flippers, slings, ball trough kickout, drop targets, etc.
All switches and lights still work fine.
I am sad. Help!

Check connectors and fuses

#2902 2 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

Wow - what a game.
FWIW my psu was set correctly for here in Australia and I was able to check with a small mirror and taking a photo of the reflection with my phone.
Does anyone else feel like they get more reactor chute rejects than they should? Any known tweaks for that?

I got a ton of rejects. I've largely solved that problem by gently bending the scoop opening down.

#2907 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys what level do you keep this game? Assuming it's not 6.5

I'm at 7.2

#2913 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You may need it for electric mods like the Hooked On Pinball side armor light kit.
https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p115/Total-Nuclear-Annihilation-TNA-Side-Rail-Illumination-Kit-Pinball-Mod
Just a note re: Robert @ HOP
He is an excellent guy. Totally went above and beyond when something went sideways that wasn't either of our faults. Shop with confidence!

You don’t need it for the light rails... there’s a factory connector that works fine

#2918 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

So, if I have the light rails, speaker lights, shaker and knocker will I need the accessory power supply?

For all of those, no. I had all but the light rails installed at Spooky. And installed the rails on my own... there was a spare port in the back of the cabinet

#2920 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Mines starting to ware on the sides...

Battle scars!

Gives the game character and shows it has history.

#2934 2 years ago

Holy crap. You destroyed all 9 reactors????

#2938 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

LOL!
If by "you" you mean Bowen, sure. That pic was posted on Spooky's FB page.
As for me, my high score is only 4.8 million so far (factory settings).
To me, that score is beyond comprehension.

I was going to say, Rob... SELL IT

Try bumping from factory to hard in settings... see what you think. I've gotten past reactor 3 in Hard... but after that I just fall apart. I think, tho, the game is more fun with the added avalanche of difficulty.

-Todd

#2949 2 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

My pop number seems to be missing a few hits as well. I’m not the most capable at pinball repairs/tweaks but I’m nothing if not enthusiastic
Any other advice on how to do this? Or should I get stuck in and post pics of how I made it worse later?

You just need to tighten the switch gap under the pop. It’s actually easiest done with the switch assembly removed (but can be done with it screwed to the playfield).

Make sure you turn the power off.

Trial by errror process

#2965 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Can you explain that?

When the ball save light (white) is in a lane that the ball passes through, the ball save timer starts to count down. Once it’s activated (and counting down) the ball can drain from anywhere (including sdtm), and you get a new ball

#2977 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

The most reactors I've ever gotten is 5 and that's only because I'm lying about the 5th one.

Yeah... I made it to 12... but I don’t really like to tell anyone about it.

#3007 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So I went to look for a 9v battery. Didn't have one. Saw a pack of D batteries and decided it was worth a shot. Took out the fan, tried it, no go. Inspected the fan a bit more, tried to spin it by hand, it wasn't moving???
Looks like there was a chunk of plastic from the mold of the fan casing still attached to the inside (small white piece) preventing the fan blades from turning!
Clearly, these are NOT tested before they placed in the box (not that I expected them to be)
Reinstalled after chipping off the plastic with a screwdriver and it works!
So lesson of the day, always play with your mods before installing!
Also worth noting that the original fan is blowing TOWARDS the heat sink, which makes sense to me.

Ok. So you got it working... was it worth the effort?

#3014 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

tl;dr: yeah, it's worth the time.
It's certainly not hard to do. If I didn't run into issues, it would have been worth the time. It's mainly about 15 screws that have to come off between brackets, the casing, and the PCB board.
My original sound had a very loud hum, now looking back, was not normal. After uninstalling the old fan, and reinstalling it again, it quieted down to what I would consider a normal hum. It was noticeable with the game in attract mode, but not during play.
The new fan, once I got it working, is about 50% quieter then the original fan. It is hardly noticeable during attract mode, and not at all noticeable during play. I spent $6.XX on it, so cost-wise, yeah whatever. The time troubleshooting was painful, but like I said, if it was just plug-n-play, it would be worth it.

Basically remove screws... solder wires... and you're good?

I have the fan sitting here... just haven't taken the time to work on it.

#3015 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

There is a 3.5 mm audio cable that comes from the lcd panel and goes to the amplifier. you could use a splitter at the amp, but you would have to manually go in and turn down (off) the amp and then figure out how to run your other 3.5 mm (female) cable out of the game so you could plug your headphones in.
While it is not impossible, there is no direct or aftermarket way that i am aware of yet.

I'd like to see an external volume control for this game...

#3025 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

$0.75 per play or 3 games for $2.00?

why not $1 for 1 and $2 for 3? Seems totally legit. It's not like the machine cost you $2K

#3059 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Oh man...I would have been watching like a hawk and made sure I was there! i'm not sure what kind of recompense you can expect for it? I'm sorry you have to go through this right now.

Leave it on the pallet and make them pick up, ship it back, and send a new one. FedEX should pay for the costs

#3063 2 years ago

Man, Jeff... you have some kind of luck with NIB games!

#3071 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just crammed in #169 in my last usable square foot of space... everything works great and oozes with quality. There was a million+ score when I booted up so these definitely get thoroughly play-tested... NICE. Killer packing job too, very impressive. Not much else to add that already hasn't been mentioned, my expectations have been greatly exceeded.
Still learning how to tune my shots, it's been rather humbling so far to say the least. Does everybody else's scoop reject like 80% of direct shots into it? Seems like it really needs to be hit dead center. I know, play better LOL.
btw turning on the gamma function, reducing the brightness to 30 and the contrast to 100 really help with the monitor washout. I don't feel the need to replace it now, makes a big difference!

My scoop rejected a ton of shots. I solved by gently bending the scoop down a tad and it really helped

#3077 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Oh nice! So you mean just push the top down a bit to end up with something like this? I know not nearly that extreme LOL, just trying to be obvious

Yup. I just gently massaged it down a micro-little bit. Rejections are vastly reduced

#3082 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Use a tool or just bend it by hand?

I gently used my palm to push it down... very gentle... definitely helped

#3083 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

is that with the protector installed? Mine is 80% reject right now... kinda hard setting that way though

What protector?

#3097 2 years ago

Mine go red for sure

#3099 2 years ago

I believe mine match the coloring of the GI... ?

#3117 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

RATING TNA MODS
I thought it would be fun to pull together a list of mods (and game additions) and rate them, if nothing but to help awaiting owners and future buyers decide what they might want to add to their games at the factory OR have waiting at home before their game is delivered. Just about 5 months ago, I told a few friends that "I was done dropping money on mods." That was – apparently – the kiss of death, because buying TNA has opened up the mod buying floodgates (in a great way, mind you). That isn't to say that every mod is necessary. But some, I believe, are essential to enhancing the game experience. I had quite a few installed at the factory, which was painlessly handled by my distributor Joe Newhart / pinballstar . Normally I'd just do it myself, but the fees were so low, it was easy to just have Spooky do the work. So, here it goes:
1) Shaker (Rating = 4.5/5)

I pre-purchased the shaker and had it sent to Spooky for installation at the factory. Cost was $99 plus shipping and few extra bucks to install (I believe Spooky charged $25 for shaker and knocker install together). Integration into the game is fantastic, adding a nice tactile touch to gameplay moments such as a low elongated rumble as the reactor awaits destruction, a massive shake when a reactor is destroyed (the latter of which is nice because a blown reactor can get lost in chaos of multiball... it's nice to have feedback that doesn't require looking at the LCD or listening for a call out), and a nice thud when the pop is activated. While the machine's powerful bass notes add some rumble, the shaker is a great addition IMO. Buy it.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4705
2) Upgrade LCD (Rating = 5/5)

My only disappoint with TNA (out of the box) was rather lackluster LCD screen performance. To put it lightly, the stock screen has poor off-axis viewing that leads to washed out colors and bad contrast. Blacks look like grays and the rest of the visual performance suffers. Much thanks to audihere who originally posted the parts necessary to upgrade to a better LCD experience, I took the plunge and purchased a new screen
(ebay.com link » Lg Philips Lp156wf1 Tl B2 Replacement Laptop Lcd Screen 15 6 Led Lp156wf1 Tlb2)
and driver board (ebay.com link » Hdmi Dvi Vga Audio Controller Board For 15 6 B156hw01 Lp156wf1 1920x1080 Lcd)
for a total investment of a tad over $100. I did have a few hiccups (the first screen shipped to me was DOA), but got everything worked out and the new screen is literally a night and day difference. Significantly deeper blacks and infinitely better saturation lend to graphics that look great and are easy to see. Pinks literally pop off the screen and important in-game information is much easier to read.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the old versus new. I realize a camera image isn't the best way to convey this (it's much more impressive in person), but focus on the "A" in the upper left corner of the cassette tape.

Charlie at Spooky already addressed the screen issue (if you can call it that) by saying that Spooky had to purchase a screen that was available in large quantities. And, while the stock screen still gets information across, the upgraded screen is IMO an absolute must and it's easy to install. All you need is the new screen and driver board, a nut driver, small and large phillips screw drivers, electrical tape, and a comfort level with making wire connections. Of course, proceed at your own risk.
This is my top mod.
3) Rail Lights (Rating 3.5/5)

TNA rail lights are sold by Hooked on Pinball (https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p115/Total-Nuclear-Annihilation-TNA-Side-Rail-Illumination-Kit-Pinball-Mod) and cost $105 plus shipping. They're super easy to install and look fantastic. They plug into an existing board located inside the back of the cabinet. If you're into bling, they're a must have...since they don't enhance game play, I only give them a 3.5/5. I'd buy them again, though... they look GREAT in person.
4) Mirror Blades aka Melt Down Mirrors (3.5/5)

Much like the Rail Lights, these custom blades (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4787) are all about the bling. They cost $70 and can be installed at the factory. I went the factory route and Spooky provided a flawless installation. I happen to be a big blade fan, but they aren't absolutely necessary to gameplay experience. They do, however, enhance the spaciousness of the playfield and the game's masterful lighting.
I initially had ordered the interior art blades... switched to mirror blades once they became available. Glad I did.
5) Speaker Lights/Grill Covers (3.5/5)

I purchased the lights/grills direct from Spooky and had them installed at the factory for $95 flat. Grills look great and the lights are integrated and interactive with the game's lighting, turning off/on and changing colors to reflect what's happening during game play. Very happy with the lights. Would purchase again. The lights are bumped down a tiny bit because they are directly visible and can be slightly harsh to the eye (seeing the individual LEDs)... but...
6) Light Diffusor (5/5)

LED OCD's ( herg )speaker light "Frosted Spacer" is just what the doctor ordered (http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=34) for making the game's unique speaker lights an enhanced experience. Installation requires dropping down the speaker/LCD panel and removing both speakers. You then remove two factory spacers and add the Frosted spacer. Voila! Instant smooth lighting. It takes away the harshness of direct LED viewing and creates a ringed glow. And for $15 plus shipping... it's an inexpensive mod that delivers as promised. It's a must buy if you go the light route.
7) Sac Rack (2.5/5)

The Sac Rack (https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4706) is a total necessity if you're betting on games. It's a total non-necessity if you're not. It's design is great though and it's cheap $14.99 plus shipping (and you get 4 golden sacs with it). Huge shoutout to trilogybeer. Tip of the cap and I thank you, sir. I owe you one!!
8 ) Real Knocker (3/5)

A real knocker costs $35+ shipping and I had Spooky install it at the factory. I happen to like the THWACK of a real knocker... not a total essential though. For me, a must have.
9) Plastic Protectors (4/5)

The ball on TNA can really get moving (especially if you crank coil power on the pop or slings)... so logic would say that plastic protectors are a smart move. I had Spooky install an entire plastic protector set at the factory for $35. They're unobtrusive, well made, and seem to be doing their job thus far (knock on wood). Are they 100% necessary? Unknown... but my gut is saying yes (especially if you plan on putting the game out in public).
10) flashinstinct Decals (4/5)

Flash has hit another home run with his TNA decal set. They're dirt cheap – $21 through Mezel Mods (https://mezelmods.com/collections/total-nuclear-annihilation-pinball-mods) – and add a little more flair to standup and drop targets, top of the pop, etc.

I like them... I give them a 4/5 because they aren't "essential." But they're nice!! I'm hoping they hold up to the punishment of this game! So far, so good... but I'm expecting that the drop decals will wear over time. All in all, I like'm!!
11) Power Ball (5/5)

A week or so ago, mr68 glowingly posted about adding a single powerball and I liked the idea... you can read more complete thoughts about its impact, here (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/55#post-4417207). I'm a big fan. Right now, that powerball is staying! The only downside is that power balls aren't cheap. You're looking at $50+ from both Marco and Pinball Life. But, if you're a glutton for punishment and want to add an extra level of brutality to your pin, buy one.
______________________________________________________________________________________
This is by no means a definitive list... I'm sure there are a few other mods/alterations out there. Of course, there's always tweaking game settings which owners can do for free (for me, just putting the game into "Hard" mode introduced a few nuances that made game play more fun). If anyone has anything to add... fire away!

Someone over in the production thread just posted this... Pinball Life has power balls on sale for $24.95.

That's basically 50% off what it was a few weeks back!

link: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1293

#3135 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

They hop in every cabinet while doing assembly... I'm now trying to match the footprint with the Minion that forgot to clean it off!
ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

I like the human signs of assembly. Helps to keep the games feeling real and more analog... less sterile.

#3139 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

These are all supposedly inspected by yourself.
Why didn't you pick it up?

Come on, dude. That's lame. If Charlie plays every game before it leaves the factory, that's cool. But that doesn't mean he inspects every square inch of the game. Why be a prick?

1 week later
#3166 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

to the guys who put power balls in TNA, do you put in 4? Also do you play with PB all the time or just occasionally?

Only 1... it appears at various intervals depending whether it or other balls are locked or not.

IMO, it’s a must add. Super fun

2 weeks later
#3210 1 year ago

It's hard to believe you guys waited so long and paid up for this game, only to have it walk out the door so quickly.

#3216 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

It’s a crazy hobby, I sold STLE and LotR which are both outstanding pins and pushed TNA back 200 spots but was able to buy Woz, DI and AFM LE instead.

Point being: you didn't own either of those two for a matter of months, a month, or less.

Selling isn't the point, nearly immediate selling of a pricey NIB is the point

#3254 1 year ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I just swapped my LCD with the LG panel in this thread. You have to swap both the screen and lcd control board since the resolution is different.
It’s better but still disappointing. The viewing angle still greys it out, and blacks still suck. It’s better than stock but not worth the effort imo.
Hoping someone links to a better panel.
I tuned the settings best I could. The lg panel just pretty much sucks.

Something doesn’t sound right... the swap gave me a night and day difference

#3284 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Maybe yes, if it’s meant to emulate late 80s era. Ever watch a YouTube clip pulled from late 80s footage? Looks like crap.

Charlie said they opted for the panel they’re using because of availability. It just happens to be a really crappy panel.

Doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t bother you, but the upgrade radically boosts contrast and colors really pop.

3 weeks later
#3387 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Can you explain how you up the reactor points once it’s past critical level?

Once the reactor is critical and ready to blow, there are a few ways to get more points when you blow it.

1) Complete the 1,2, and 3 standup targets inside of the core
2)Start a multiball

#3392 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

How do you get 4 ball multiball?

Might be speaking for myself, but it’s almost impossible.

Knock down all drops (quickly, so they don’t start resetting) and hit the scoop... all during the craziness of multiball, which essentially inhabits the bottom 1/3 of the PF

1 week later
#3425 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I could be wrong but I think the holes in the cabinets are different so the Bally style buttons may not fit in TNA

Get out the drill!!

3 weeks later
#3513 1 year ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I ordered these a few weeks ago. They make a huge difference.

I bought the referenced light also... definitely is significantly brighter. Came in a 2-pack for $17. I’ll sell the unused one - shipped in CONUS - to someone for $8.00.

Note, this one has two nubs at different heights (as noted above)... I got it to work in mine. But, see what herg says

Pm if interested.
image (resized).jpg

#3516 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I can take it.

you got it!

3 months later
#4605 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Scott thanks for all your hard work. I’m sure tracking down bugs is not easy or fun to do.
I was curious if you could give a brief synopsis of how you came to making TNA. I mean what year you started, how you were able to program the game (did you have any experience with programming), how you decided to produce the game, was it hard to go from prototype to production because you needed to make everything more polished for retail sales.

Listen to some of the podcasts he’s been on. All the info is there

1 month later
#4882 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

All if you haven't got the washers on your star posts - DO THIS NOW. Pretty much all of the games made are going to suffer from this problem.
Neil.

What? Can you expand on this?

#4887 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I’ll have some extra clear washers if you can wait until next time. I got from Amazon but have not yet installed them.

Thanks Phil! KT dropped some in the mail today

1 month later
#5236 1 year ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

I will, since you’re more concerned about preserving your public image than actually helping.
[quoted image]

I want to see photos of these "polygonal balls." Post 'em up @Whamtam

#5238 1 year ago

I've seen a lot of weird stuff in pinball... but I've never witnessed polygonal balls.

#5241 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

May be picking a HUO TNA up soon, anything specific to look for as far as issues these have had?

Apparently you need to make sure it doesn't have polygonal balls installed in it

1 week later
#5263 1 year ago

Kill that ball save... might as well put training wheels on your bike if you leave it on. Just amps the brutality of the machine.

#5268 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Switched to Titan flipper rubbers and I feel like my scores have improved. Nice grippy-ness for better ball control. Predictable bounces although some crazy English on high speed hits.
[quoted image]
For reference this what I took off. They were good.. but a little too slick.
[quoted image]

So your TNA now has training wheels ...

#5270 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The game comes with silicone stock.

Touché

Although, you can buy a bike with training wheels - stock. And guess what... they can be removed!

I actually removed the flipper bats on my TNA. Nudging and slings only!

#5274 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Rookie. I removed the sides of my cabinet.

I don't even have a playfield anymore.

#5280 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

contact Chris at KingPin games. He may have had 1 left.
Outside of distributors having them, all are sold out.
Spooky says they 'may' make more in the future, but if we are honest, they have ACNC to make for the next 18 months, then likely Scott D #2, then ???
You get the idea...

Spooky is promising all ACNC will be shipped by the end of the year. Just heard it for myself

#5284 1 year ago

It's a fun pin. Worth chasing down if you've played it and enjoyed

#5286 1 year ago

It's polar opposite of your Pirates. Have you ever played any solid states from the early 80s?

The challenge is introduced by setting it up hard, at least that's the case for me. Fun game. If you're just flipping and banging the ball around, you'll likely grow bored quick. But if you challenge yourself to take advantage of the rules and nuances to pump up your score, you'll love it.

#5288 1 year ago

You need to go buy one!

#5290 1 year ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

it's tempting...
I DEF want to watch some videos. I heard the sound on this thing is just unbelievable and I'm a big sound guy.
I'd like to play it before as well.
The price is NOT bad and I think it would go nicely as a third pin next to my JJP POTC and AFMr.

Oh yeah - Sound is off the charts.

Here’s a little 15 sec video I shot when I first got it set up

https://twitter.com/theavwoofer/status/994321777605177345?s=21

#5296 1 year ago

There will be more.

#5308 1 year ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I believe you're right, @Aniraf. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I installed these same Amazon washers under all of my star posts about 4 weeks ago. Since then there's been around 15-20 plays and when I checked the posts tonight they all had some amount of hazing around the bottom and feel like they could shatter easily. It does appear to be a "chemical breakdown" as you say.
I can confirm that there was no playfield damage after 4 weeks due to these washers. I don't know if eventually there would be or not. All of my star posts will need to be replaced and I need to find a new solution for the washers.
If anyone has installed these washers amazon.com link » you should have a look to see if they are causing damage![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those photos are compelling. Something isn’t right, for sure

#5311 1 year ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Hmm. I wonder if my damage is caused simply by over-tightening? It felt different tightening the posts down on these washers because of their sponginess. I had to crank them down pretty good otherwise they shifted a bit.
Could over-tightening cause this same sort of behavior with the base of the post weakening and clouding the plastic? Anyone have experience with this?

You obviously didn’t read Vid’s Guide to Installing Star Posts

1 week later
#5372 1 year ago

Go get it Joseph. You’re not going to find a better deal than that

2 months later
#5672 11 months ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I love reactor 4's song but don't get to hear it that often.

Play better!

3 months later
#6048 7 months ago

Hmmm... thenotrashcougar. First real TNA issue. Won't boot.

The screen shows the UP symbol and the score displays are flashing 8's. Lights on playfield are all on... but otherwise game is frozen when powered up.

thoughts?

2 months later
#6226 5 months ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just picked up a TNA today.
Wow, very impressed and it exceeded my expectations. The sound system, lighting, and everything is so good. I didn't read anything about this machine, only watched a couple YouTube videos to make my decision.
If I was to have a complaint, it would be that the right orbit shot seems impossible to hit off the left flipper. Almost if the geometry is off a bit.. any tips on hitting it?
Other than that the game is a ton of fun and I am extremely impressed with the overall package that Scott & Spooky created.

Right orbit is makable. For consistency, cradle the ball first, flip off the tip. Definitely agree that it’s tough... but you’ll get there!

Right orbit, on my machine is key for getting the ball down the middle two upper lanes... otherwise, the ball seems to drain into the scoop without firing any slings.

#6243 5 months ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

The Super Secret Skillshot does not activate unless you full plunge. Hitting the left flipper at all cancels it. Put the ball immediately into the lock. Godspeed.

Full plunge, dead flip to right flipper, right flipper to lock?

#6245 5 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

For the love of Pete... It's a SUPER SECRET!

Not no mo!

1 week later
#6279 4 months ago

So Scott said (on KPP) that he’s planning on revisiting some of TNA’s light shows using the knowledge he’s gained from R&M. Some point down the road with a code update.

Very interesting little tid-bit of info! I’m super curious to see what he comes up with... especially because I think TNA’s lighting is top shelf!

3 months later
#6824 46 days ago

Is this being sold as a kit at PBL, or are you guys piecing it together?

#6826 46 days ago

They are piecing it together right now from my post above, but it is basically the same thing as a kit would be from PBL, just without instructions.
Keep in mind that this is not an easy install, kit or not.
--Scott

Fitting for the game... because the game isn’t easy either!

#6829 46 days ago

I am starting to think nothing I am involved in is easy... haha!

Please keep it that way! (At least for games ;/)

1 month later
#6918 7 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

That's awesome! I didn't realize they still had NIB TNAs floating around.

Seriously. I thought they were long gone... Was the run cut at 550?

#6954 4 days ago
Quoted from d0n:

Drops now lit! I love the effects. https://vimeo.com/436818999

Sounds like you're in a Dave and Busters!

How long, start to finish, did it take to install the drops and lights?

#6955 4 days ago

Did anyone installing the lit drops consider transfering over FlashInsticts lock decals?

#6959 4 days ago
Quoted from damadczar:

You mean, other than the double/triple noise beep-splosion, the music changing beat and tone, the screen flashing multi-ball, the GI all going green, the "Multi Ball Initiated" callout, and I wanna say my machine rumbles when it starts, although that might just be my imagination.
I dunno, I kinda think starting multiball always feels like the game changes pace, and with the visual and auditory shuffle it really switches the mood in the moment.
I don't think multiball in this game is like that of a WPC say, where the goal is to start a multi-ball frenzy and you get a big light show. It's there instead to help you achieve goals, and offer bonuses if you are suave enough to keep it around and still kill the reactor.

The last thing I think about TNA needing is “more hoopla.” This game has it in spades!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
$ 17.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
$ 11.95
$ 279.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside