(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 239.
#4651 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Does not scoop save in multiball, so not sure how you are getting that exploit.
--Scott

Hmmmm. Let me see if I can get video. Hopefully I’m not going crazy.

#4652 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Does not scoop save in multiball, so not sure how you are getting that exploit.
--Scott

I was going to add that I just had a double drain, one from the scoop and the other from an outlane, and it ended my ball (and consequently my game). All while working on Reactor 5! I was bummed! But yeah, no scoop save during MB.

I'm on 1.3.0 and have had a couple instances where the slings held on for an extra second. I dont want to lose my GC though!

#4653 5 years ago

I completed a few mods on the weekend...

1. Replaced the screeming jet engine fan in the PS with nearly completely silent one.
Orig. fan on the left, new fan on the right.  New one is much smaller/lighter and quieterOrig. fan on the left, new fan on the right. New one is much smaller/lighter and quieter

2. Moved the speaker mesh material from between the speaker and the speaker lights rings (mounted on the back of the speaker panel) to the front of the speaker panel and cut to fit behind the metal circular speaker covers. I prefer this setup with the speakers themselves more visible and the overall brightness of the speaker lights slightly dimmed due to the mesh.

3. Tilted the stock monitor back so it points directly at the head/eyes of the player. This totally resolves the poor contrast and bad darks problem and makes the screen pop! I used 1 1/2" nylon spacers and longer wood screws to mount the top of the monitor to the speaker panel, and just screwed the bottom screws in without bending the monitor or adding spacers there (for now anyway, they seem secure enough). I also used Gorilla tape to fashion a light shroud around the monitor but this ended up being pretty "tacky" looking so might replace with black pastic or cardboard at some point.

Here's a before pic showing orig., speaker mesh setup and stock monitor angle with washed out picture quality:
BeforeBefore

Here's what it looks like now with the angled monitor and speaker mesh in front of the lights...
After!  That's better!After! That's better!

FYI My monitor settings are:
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 100
Gamma: On

Monitor mounted with the spacers...
Spacer (resized).JPGSpacer (resized).JPG

Picture with a flash on to show the monitor angle from the side-front. Normally you wouldn't really notice the white spacer post.
SpeakerFlash (resized).JPGSpeakerFlash (resized).JPG

One issue with the slanted monitor is that the top of the screen is now blocked on some screens in the game by the top of the monitor cutout in the speaker panel. It's not nearly as bad for me while playing as this picture would indicate, but still lose the top 1/3 of the top row of text on that screen. An ideal fix would be to expand the hole in the speaker cutout slightly but this would require cutting, sanding, and re-painting the speaker panel.

The monitor controls look like there should be an option to allow sizing/moving the picture but you can't select it. Too bad or this would be an easy fix.
I'm okay with this for now as the increased PQ is well worth it. It somehow "feels" so much better to have the screen slanted so it's pointed directly at the viewer, I wish Spooky would have fabricated a proper monitor mount and done it this way from the factory.
OopsOops

4. Added the light up siderails. These are great and should also be a factory option!

..oh, and the factory option mirror blades too. Shiny!
My precious!My precious!

#4654 5 years ago

Starting to get a pretty constant Drop Target 1 error. Each game starts with the #1 drop target up and hitting it will indeed drop it, however when two balls are locked in, they won't release. Both ball jam-up behind the #1 which will not drop. The long spring that attaches to the black plastic drop target was indeed fouled, but the error still occurs after reinstalling this spring correctly (correct to my knowledge). Can anyone share any common experiences and how to rectify this problem? Many thanks to all who contribute to this board! I'm new to this hobby, so not privy to many tricks of the trade in troubleshooting!

#4655 5 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

Starting to get a pretty constant Drop Target 1 error. Each game starts with the #1 drop target up and hitting it will indeed drop it, however when two balls are locked in, they won't release. Both ball jam-up behind the #1 which will not drop. The long spring that attaches to the black plastic drop target was indeed fouled, but the error still occurs after reinstalling this spring correctly (correct to my knowledge). Can anyone share any common experiences and how to rectify this problem? Many thanks to all who contribute to this board! I'm new to this hobby, so not privy to many tricks of the trade in troubleshooting!

Go into the service menu and under tests there is a drop target test. Run that and watch the targets, they should pop up and drop one at a time. If they are not doing that, then you have a physical issue with the drop target, if they are and it is throwing an error, then the switch is no good on the drap target reporting the error. You can also verify the switch functionality in the switch test.
--Scott

#4656 5 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

also, make sure you are on the latest release.

rev 1.3.0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k53qgsp93g1PP0Ah7XLZf6L6o8jHA0ct

#4657 5 years ago

Spooky Pinball LLC is feeling cold.
24 mins ·
Kayte just talked to R&L Freight... with record cold temps the next 48 hours (60 BELOW ZERO WIND CHILL?!?) games will be held until next Monday to keep the drivers out of harms way. We are leaving all the non-Benton minions home tomorrow to keep them safe as well. Public schools, colleges, public services, businesses, most everything is shutting down. This is a bit crazy... even for Wisconsin! Our apologies to the people who are waiting. We'll keep your games safe and warm!

#4658 5 years ago

We were looking for a new game to splash some cash on, and of course my wife was right all along, TNA is the best. We have had #499 for two weeks now, no issues, very happy. We drove out from Milwaukee to pick it up, that was a really fun day. Everyone at Spooky is really terrific.

Definitely adjust your monitor settings. We are currently at Contrast 85, Brightness 25 and Gamma ON. Helps a ton!

Which one of you super clever 3D printer people is going to make the brackets/light shield to tilt the monitor back and drop it a 1/2 inch? Difficulty: beating the $100 price of the upgrade monitor and driver.

Don and Liz C.

#4659 5 years ago

Regarding Eastern Block post on the drop targets.... There are two springs you have to concern yourself with on the drop targets. One of them pulls the target down. The other smaller one pushes the face of the target forward. This smaller spring is located between the “drop coil” and the back of the target. The drop coil is the little coil off to the side that pulls against the drop target from behind. In my machines case, the little spring on the little coil wasn’t pushing hard enough against the back of the drop target and the drop target would spontaneously fall on its own. To fix it I just took the spring off, stretched it and re-inserted it. The last three weeks it has it running normally.

#4660 5 years ago

Got the situation fixed okiedokie! An e spring clip retainer was deformed on the back of the #1 drop target. Removed it, the two flat washers with spring and straightened out the retainer clip then reinstalled the lot. No errors in drop target test and after a few games the issue seems resolved. Was already running the latest code. Many thanks to TheNoTrashCougar KingPinGames SpookyKT and Cmartin1235 for the advice and help.

Now if I can just hear the music for reactors 6-9 on my machine rather than on SoundCloud or a pink cassette tape....

#4661 5 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

Now if I can just hear the music for reactors 6-9 on my machine rather than on SoundCloud or a pink cassette tape....

Well if you really want to hear them before getting to those reactors you can by going into the test menu.

#4662 5 years ago

Does anyone have problems with trying to get the ball into the scoop? If I hit the scoop 10 times it might go in there once.

#4663 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Does anyone have problems with trying to get the ball into the scoop? If I hit the scoop 10 times it might go in there once.

I actually turned the power to the flippers down and I can now make the scoop alot more. This did not effect the game speed at all, it just stopped it from pounding into the scoop. I think I turned the power to 25 or 27.

#4664 5 years ago

I’m about 40-60 from the right flipper and maybe 70-30 from the left. I’m happy with that. What I cannot hit is that damned right orbit

#4665 5 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I actually turned the power to the flippers down and I can now make the scoop alot more. This did not effect the game speed at all, it just stopped it from pounding into the scoop. I think I turned the power to 25 or 27.

I will try this tomorrow.... Thank You!

#4666 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I’m about 40-60 from the right flipper and maybe 70-30 from the left. I’m happy with that. What I cannot hit is that damned right orbit

What are these numbers 40-60 and 70-30?

#4667 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

I’ve read a lot of comments about this scoop, and by no means am I an expert, but I would challenge people to keep track of how many times they unintentionally hit it vs. when they are aiming for it. I find that my friends and I are quite successful at hitting it when not attempting the shot. That makes me feel confident that I just need to up my game.

#4668 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

I will try this tomorrow.... Thank You!

Down by 1 from the default was enough for me. Any more than that, and it started to negative impact to the game.

#4669 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

What are these numbers 40-60 and 70-30?

It means I hit 40 out of 100 from the right flipper and 70 from the left. Just another way of giving percentages - 40% right flipper, 70% left. I find the backhand shot easier, probably because it’s a bit softer shot.

Like others, I did tune my flippers too. I reduced the strength until they just made the orbits, then added 1 to those numbers.

#4670 5 years ago

Yes, the scoop is hard to hit physically on TNA. I have a hint for you guys though... If you need to get the scoop and you roll over either inlane, the reactor core opens in the opposite orbit for an on the fly shot to the core (indicated by pink arrows and Deltatronn logos in the orbit). You can then settle the ball and drop it in the scoop.
--Scott

#4671 5 years ago

Fytr

Quoted from Fytr:

I completed a few mods on the weekend...
1. Replaced the screeming jet engine fan in the PS with nearly completely silent one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the louder than average fan. Out of the 2 posted, which one is the quieter one so I know what to hunt for?

Thanks

#4672 5 years ago

Here's a little trick for making the scoop shot. Hold ball on left flipper and allow it to sit still then release flipper and immediately back hand shot goes right in most of the times. Takes a little practice but works very well for me !!!!

#4673 5 years ago

Oh yes and do this as soon as the ball starts to move.

#4674 5 years ago

I’m So Sorry guys but I wasn’t descriptive enough about the scoop shot. The advice y’all had shared is Great Advice..... I hit the shot often, and it looks like it hitting dead on, but it’s hitting it at such force it bounces out and doesn’t go in. Ryan1234 suggested turning down the flipper power, which I’m going to try today. Toyguy mentioned his percentage hits with each flipper... I believe the shot goes in the scoop more often from my right flipper ( definitely by Luck... Believe me I’m not that good) than from my left flipper.... My left flipper seems to be hitting it at great force... All of you chiming in about this difficult scoop shot, I Greatly appreciate all the advice, tips, and tricks.... One day I might be a better player

#4675 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We caught this on in a show game prior to Pinburgh when we sent TnA to the tourney... on some of the posts, the impact is so high in this game it can cause the post to move a bit and basically scrape. We've since moved to being extra careful and making sure the posts are installed in the direction of the impacts to help eliminate it, and added mylar circles under the super high stress spots. Not ideal, but it does help.
This was the fix we did to the show game, and it's been fine ever since. (see photos). No touch ups, just mylar.
It's not the direct impacts so much that hurt the board... ours can hold up and take a ton of abuse. It's the star posts moving that cause the issue.
Anyone needs the mylar circles, reach out to [email protected] and we'll send them to you immediately.
The scoop edge, it's going to take wear. Much of it is luck... our show game has almost none, our route game has a couple spots that took really hard shots. We concave that edge to protect it the best we can, but ... only can do so much. Steel ball is always going to win.
We made a couple changes on Alice boards already to make sure we don't see this again. Different posts & rubber combinations, art choked farther back, etc.
Doing all we can to stay on top of everything... even the best playfields are tough to get perfect.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This post takes a lot of abuse on TNA. Shots at the targets and the scope hit here hard and often. Just a thought.

#4676 5 years ago

My upper flipper has two unattached leads, can someone provide a photo of theirs so I know which goes where? Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…mine have apparently become snippers.

C04546F2-CAC2-47B1-A642-35F8C262FA17.jpegC04546F2-CAC2-47B1-A642-35F8C262FA17.jpeg
#4677 5 years ago
Quoted from phlegmer:

Fytr

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the louder than average fan. Out of the 2 posted, which one is the quieter one so I know what to hunt for?
Thanks

The one on the right is the quiet replacement.

Note that it produces approx. 1/2 the airflow of the stock fan but is only 10.5db(A) (whisper quiet) vs 34.5db(A) (Running Dishwasher) for the stock.

#4678 5 years ago

I did not know the rule on the in-lane to reactor orbit shot. I just knew that sometimes the ball would deflect down from the orbit. Thanks!

#4679 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…

There's plenty of good choices out there, but these work fine for me. I have a pair in my home tools and my work tools.

https://m.harborfreight.com/7-inch-wire-stripper-with-cutter-98410.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

#4680 5 years ago

I had turned down the power to the flippers to 26 and now going into the scoop much better. And still enough power to go around the orbits....

#4681 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

There's plenty of good choices out there, but these work fine for me. I have a pair in my home tools and my work tools.
https://m.harborfreight.com/7-inch-wire-stripper-with-cutter-98410.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Thanks! Mine are similar, I find them a bit flimsy. Managed to get their jackets removed, now just need to know which wire goes where…

#4682 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Thanks! Mine are similar, I find them a bit flimsy. Managed to get their jackets removed, now just need to know which wire goes where…

2 solid blue , blue/red in the middle and then blue/green.

#4683 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

2 solid blue , blue/red in the middle and then blue/green.

Bingo, she lives! Many thanks!

#4684 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I can't ever seem to hit the right orbit, either.

#4685 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Also any recommendations for wire strippers are appreciated…mine have apparently become snippers.
[quoted image]

Well... I can't hit the scoop for crap (going to try to turn down my flipper strength as suggested). I can't hit orbits either (practice, practice, practice). And took me 6 months to even beat the factory GC on my unit.

But I can strip wires like there's no tomorrow... I went to the self-adjusting type and absolutely love it. No more trying to figure out what gauge wire I'm working with. Maybe not for everyone if you're married to the old style, so try out a friends or something if you're watching every penny. But for about $20, this is one of my favorite tools in my chest.

https://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

#4686 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Well... I can't hit the scoop for crap (going to try to turn down my flipper strength as suggested). I can't hit orbits either (practice, practice, practice). And took me 6 months to even beat the factory GC on my unit.
But I can strip wires like there's no tomorrow... I went to the self-adjusting type and absolutely love it. No more trying to figure out what gauge wire I'm working with. Maybe not for everyone if you're married to the old style, so try out a friends or something if you're watching every penny. But for about $20, this is one of my favorite tools in my chest.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/self-adjusting-wire-stripper

I never realized these were so inexpensive. I'll have to get a set when my old-skool style strippers need replacing!

#4687 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Plus...."Play Better!"

#4688 5 years ago

I experimented with turning down my flipper power to 26. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in my ability to hit the scoop, but my preferred technique is to lock a ball and plunge into the reactor. Remember, ball locks are not just for multiball.

#4689 5 years ago

I think we’re talking about two different things.

People missing the scoop

People hitting the scoop and it rejecting the shot.

For people in the latter camp, I think Scott suggested adjusting the roof on the scoop down a bit to help the ball stay in there when you shoot it.

#4690 5 years ago

I turned my flippers down to 26 and I can actually make the right orbit shot now! Thank you!
I never really try to hit the scoop directly from the flippers......I always go through the reactor.

#4691 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

That’s the tool I’m looking for, many thanks!

#4692 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People missing the scoop
For people in the latter camp, I think Scott suggested adjusting the roof on the scoop down a bit to help the ball stay in there when you shoot it.

At least in my case, I probably just phrased it poorly. I'm referencing the ability to hit the scoop and, more importantly, not have it bounce back.

#4693 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

At least in my case, I probably just phrased it poorly. I'm referencing the ability to hit the scoop and, more importantly, not have it bounce back.

Has anyone tried adding some drop dead foam or even a strip of velcro to the inside of the scoop? This might settle the ball a bit and allow more shots to drop in.

#4694 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People missing the scoop

Yes he did, he also suggested removing the scoop and adding a washer or two between the playfield and the scoop thus lowering the scoop slightly.
I have done this and it certainly helps with rejects, still a tough shot but better.

#4695 5 years ago

There is another...

IMG_2945 (resized).JPGIMG_2945 (resized).JPG
#4696 5 years ago

I just noticed this with the sound off....anyone have a real buzzy flipper?

Right flipper sure is noisy!

#4697 5 years ago

Any ideas what might be causing this lighting snafu? This is my routed machine and I have not been able to go investigate yet. Fuse?

6578D3E3-E9BE-499C-9A57-BEF7F916DDA0 (resized).jpeg6578D3E3-E9BE-499C-9A57-BEF7F916DDA0 (resized).jpeg
#4698 5 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Any ideas what might be causing this lighting snafu? This is my routed machine and I have not been able to go investigate yet. Fuse? [quoted image]

Check the 5v dc going to that board. Do the rest of the lights function as they should?

#4699 5 years ago

Everything else is good

#4700 5 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Everything else is good

Okay. Then the board is passing thr information through. Check for a loose power cable or no voltage at that cable. There is a black wire (ground) and a red wire (5v dc). Make sure it hasn't come loose.w

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/94 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.