New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,256 posts
  • 524 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by Jakers
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,163 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.30.05 AM (resized).png
197A6275-7BBF-4DF4-A65F-17881242A4E5 (resized).jpeg
2020-10-19 16.15.13 (resized).jpg
2020-10-19 16.09.17 (resized).jpg
2020-10-19 16.09.26 (resized).jpg
2020-10-19 16.09.00 (resized).jpg
TNA CoOp Poster.pdf (resized).png
20201018_151526 (resized).jpg
20201017_160546 (resized).jpg
20201018_183423 (resized).jpg
20201018_183409 (resized).jpg
DSC07509_LI (resized).jpg
1602980346387127906440407067891 (resized).jpg
20201017_132431 (resized).jpg
IMG_1511 (resized).JPEG
20201015_081838 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7256 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 146.
#4001 1 year ago

Just checked the route game and zero paint issues.

Sorry you guys are having troubles. What game numbers are these? I wonder if there was a batch of pfs that came through with a prep step missed or something?

I have game no2 and now game no 420 and see no issues on either of them. Game no 2 has more plays than the majority of TNAs I would guess and has held up spectaculor.

#4002 1 year ago

Mine is #412. I reached out to Spooky support. Personally, I would be ok with a spare PF so I could enjoy the game and do a swap down the line, but I realize that's not for everyone.

#4003 1 year ago

I've got the same paint issue. Started after about 5 plays. Mine is 401, so I'm assuming your 420 will do it too.

#4004 1 year ago

Think mine was around 385....mighta been 283 actually. I'll double check when I get a minute....

**confirmed 283**

#4005 1 year ago

Mine is 148 and I have similar paint issues around the post near the scoop. I dont think it's so much the quality of playfield. Its the fact that the particular post takes a beating during gameplay. Sucks but I dont know how it could of been done differently or maybe there is a fix

#4006 1 year ago

Mines doing it on the slingshot posts too, and you can see some of the star posts digging into the art on the reactor playfield as well.

#4007 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Mines doing it on the slingshot posts too, and you can see some of the star posts digging into the art on the reactor playfield as well.

Well that's a totally different issue then.

#4008 1 year ago

Charlie has great customer service after the fact and so does Nitro Pinball. Still sucks as doing a swap is a massive task and if I sell it I will take a huge hit, and it will 1000% scare off buyers altogether in the first place...

#4009 1 year ago

I’m wondering if this will help at all. I tried placing 3/4” neoprene rubber washers under the slingshot star posts and the ones on either side of 3 Center targets. I removed the Mylar circles which peel out almost immediately after adding them anyway. I have a spot of paint now missing under one of the slingshot star posts about the size of a pinhead. My game is #296 for the record.

#4010 1 year ago

It's odd the way the paint came off though. It's as if there is no clearcoat. No chunks of clear came off, just paper thin spots of paint.

#4011 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

It's odd the way the paint came off though. It's as if there is no clearcoat. No chunks of clear came off, just paper thin spots of paint.

Reach out to team Spooky to see what they say?

#4012 1 year ago

Same paint issues here with #231. Sounds like they are the same two posts, right reactor scoop and left lock posts. Initially the paint appeared to be bubbled up around the post. Also had a ball flying around inside the reactor and noticed the left lane guide was moving around. Closer look, paint chips.

#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Reach out to team Spooky to see what they say?

Yep, I sent an email to their support yesterday morning.

#4014 1 year ago

How do I tell what number game I have?

#4015 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

How do I tell what number game I have?

It should be on a label on the right side (inside) of the cabinet.

#4016 1 year ago

I have the same paint coming off by the scoop and the right sling. I messaged spooky to send me those mylar rings to go under the posts. Hopefully that will slow the wear down.

#4017 1 year ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I have the same paint coming off by the scoop and the right sling. I messaged spooky to send me those mylar rings to go under the posts. Hopefully that will slow the wear down.

Hate to say this but it won’t. They will start peeling off almost instantly. At least that’s what happened to me. I think they are just too thin to do anything.

#4018 1 year ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Hate to say this but it won’t. They will start peeling off almost instantly. At least that’s what happened to me. I think they are just too thin to do anything.

Yeah, in my case, they just worked themselves loose, and then when I removed them, they pulled up more paint.

#4019 1 year ago

Maybe some thicker mylar or I was thinking about cutting circular felt pieces to go under the posts?

#4020 1 year ago

Could it be a bad batch of star posts?
Maybe a sharp molded edges or the middle section of the post not hitting the playfeild so the ouside really digs in?
Just trying to look at all possible things...

#4021 1 year ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Maybe a sharp molded edges or the middle section of the post not hitting the playfeild so the ouside really digs in?
Just trying to look at all possible things...

I think it was the mylar that pulled up the play field.

Anyone get a response from spooky today?

#4022 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I think it was the mylar that pulled up the play field.
Anyone get a response from spooky today?

Yes, but Mylar on a properly cleared playfield isn't going to pull up artwork. I did not hear from Spooky today.

#4023 1 year ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Nah. I'm #169 and have the same issue. The star posts really dig into the playfield and make the clear and paint twist and come up, kinda like when leg decals wrinkle from those terrible plastic "protectors". I don't think I ever would have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out here as I tend to play my games with my head more than six inches away from the playfield

#4024 1 year ago

Mine didn't have mylar to start. It's not the mylar's fault originally. The mylar was put on by Spooky later in the run to try and stop the problem. It can pull up paint when you try to remove them, if you are having paint chipping issues.

I've also tried using different mylar, and it won't stay very well under the posts, even after applying it and waiting a week plus to play it....

#4025 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Nah. I'm #169 and have the same issue. The star posts really dig into the playfield and make the clear and paint twist and come up, kinda like when leg decals wrinkle from those terrible plastic "protectors". I don't think I ever would have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out here as I tend to play my games with my head more than six inches away from the playfield

Yeah, I think people are seeing two different issues. I think earlier in the run (like your machine), the posts may have been installed on a playfield with clearcoat that hadn't fully cured. Someone posted pictures of a case like this earlier in the thread.

What I am seeing I believe is different. There appears to be no clearcoat on the affected area.

#4026 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Yeah, I think people are seeing two different issues. I think earlier in the run (like your machine), the posts may have been installed on a playfield with clearcoat that hadn't fully cured. Someone posted pictures of a case like this earlier in the thread.

What I am seeing I believe is different. There appears to be no clearcoat on the affected area.

Interesting. Yeah, in mine the area of the PF is slightly raised and twisted. I feel like if I were to mess with the star posts to remove them I'd have some pretty big chips. Just gonna go ahead and NOT do that

#4027 1 year ago

The posts in question are being hit hard and are becoming loose.
Once loose and not noticed the end result is movement and paint lose.

#4028 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

The posts in question are being hit hard and are becoming loose.
Once loose and not noticed the end result is movement and paint lose.

Not on mine. The paint peel is exactly around the edge of where the mylar was.

#4029 1 year ago

Charlie sent a note that he just got back from a show and would get back to me soon. I was going to go around and put neoprene washers under the star posts to cover the damage. Here is the bottom post of the right sling. The art was stuck to the edge of the post. This is the first time I have removed this post.

20181203_174355 (resized).jpg20181203_174417 (resized).jpg
#4030 1 year ago

I know the feels....

#4031 1 year ago

You all made me nervous and I started looking too closely at my machine. Good size chunk out of the clear coat on the reactor side of the scoop. 60-70 plays.

I tried to fit a little piece of Mylar on it but I doubt it will stay because of the curvature of that area of the play field.

#4032 1 year ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

You all made me nervous and I started looking too closely at my machine. Good size chunk out of the clear coat on the reactor side of the scoop. 60-70 plays.
I tried to fit a little piece of Mylar on it but I doubt it will stay because of the curvature of that area of the play field.

Pretty sure that's the standard, unfortunately.

#4033 1 year ago

Has anyone tried thin nylon washers under the posts ? The size of the base of the post . I’ve seen it done on restored games with clear coated playfields , the washer acts as a cushion between the post and playfield.

#4034 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Has anyone tried thin nylon washers under the posts ? The size of the base of the post . I’ve seen it done on restored games with clear coated playfields , the washer acts as a cushion between the post and playfield.

That's an excellent idea!

Edit: On second thought, wouldn't the washer just dig into the playfield then?

#4035 1 year ago
Quoted from Goonie:

That's an excellent idea!
Edit: On second thought, wouldn't the washer just dig into the playfield then?

Nylon is a softer material than plastic that the post is made of .

#4036 1 year ago

It's working well...

IMG_2904 (resized).JPGIMG_2905 (resized).JPG
#4037 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

It's working well...[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you had it on there for a while? I’d try to find some washers with smaller holes though so they couldn’t move if the post were to loosen up .

#4038 1 year ago

I'd love to try it if someone can find a source.

#4039 1 year ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I'd love to try it if someone can find a source.

Most hardware stores carry nylon washers .One that has a decent selection of hardware bins should have the right size . Home Depot or Lowe’s might have them but finding hardware like that at those stores can be frustrating.

#4040 1 year ago

You could use an old school finned post, they have a solid base

#4041 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Have you had it on there for a while? I’d try to find some washers with smaller holes though so they couldn’t move if the post were to loosen up .

That's all I had at the time.
It's been on about 4 weeks now.
I keep checking it to make sure it's tight.
All good so far.

#4042 1 year ago

I Finally got some Game time on Shanetastic's TNA yesterday .. I Dig it !!! Awesome sound and the Draw is there , it Pull_Z U N for More play ..

Here's a video ... If Yr watching this video on yr Flat screen , crank up yr Sound bar .... Ya'll B cOOl ,, B_R

#4043 1 year ago

With mine due to arrive any day now, this playfield wear problem is concerning. I wonder if it might be worth putting a little bevel on the bottom of the post's outside edge to keep it from cutting in? I think I'll go scout out some nylon washers too, just to have on-hand.

#4044 1 year ago

452 on the Truck! AWWWWYEA!!!!

#4045 1 year ago

Here is what mine looks like with the neoprene rubber washers underneath.

2BC0C3B9-752A-44AF-AB3F-7260B9A77489 (resized).jpegCAC313DA-07A5-4F08-8399-E4C31BFF472D (resized).jpeg
#4046 1 year ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Where did you get the washers?

#4047 1 year ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Do the washers affect game play? And did you have to use longer mounting hardware with the washers installed?

#4048 1 year ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Do the washers affect game play? And did you have to use longer mounting hardware with the washers installed?

Nah, same hardware. They look like the ones I got at Home Depot. Should not affect game play as they do not extend further than the rubber rings above them.

#4049 1 year ago

I got them at Lowe’s. They are 3/4” wide and kind of squash wider once you tighten down the post. I got 11/16” ones from Home Depot at the first which are almost exactly the same width as the posts but once you try tightening them down they would sit unevenly and the washer would kind of slip out from underneath. Like was said earlier the ball cant hit them so it doesn’t effect play at all.

#4050 1 year ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I got them at Lowe’s. They are 3/4” wide and kind of squash wider once you tighten down the post. I got 11/16” ones from Home Depot at the first which are almost exactly the same width as the posts but once you try tightening them down they would sit unevenly and the washer would kind of slip out from underneath. Like was said earlier the ball cant hit them so it doesn’t effect play at all.

Do you happen to have a stock number for them so I can walk right to them when I go to Lowe’s tomorrow?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Lutz, FL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 17.50
Sale Pending!
St Paul, MN
There are 7256 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 146.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside