(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 239.
#2851 5 years ago

<Sarcasm> Nice to see that TNA finally gets some complaints. It would have been too perfect otherwise lol!

Mine came set to 110V in a 240V world I live in imagine that (bright!) fraction of a second of joy I had. Yesterday I had to solder a wire that came off a coil...</>

Love the machine. Can’t complain. It’s pinball and I’m still impressed after so many years that a 20+mph steel ball doesn’t shoot everything to pieces - I honestly don’t want to be hit by one myself

#2852 5 years ago

This isn't a JJP thread so I won't say that I haven't noticed the fan on my WOZ. Or that I have been a proud owner since 9/14.

I will however say that I can't wait for #206 to show up at my door.

#2853 5 years ago

Didn't realize you could put the beacon on in attract mode. I have not heard a peep out of the beacon because the music has always been playing. Had to put a little electrical tape on the glass edge for the bass boom. The shaker is awesome, especially with super spinner...soooo good.

*** Scott, my only request for a code update add-on would be from my son. He noticed the Password/code for every reactor is the same #5240. It would be cool to have this be random or at least different for every reactor. This would help with the narrative of the game. A little detail, but one I can't un-see since he pointed it out when we were able to beat reactor 3 on co-op the other night.

Also, I set total annihilation to 1 reactor last night and played with my son. I was under the impression that the whole game (for both player 1 and 2) would end if one of us reached total annihilation. I blew up the reactor on ball 2 (we were set to 5 ball). He blew it up on his ball #3. Little bugger beat me because he had 3 ball multiball going vs my 1 ball. His 3x jackpot caught up and overtook my reactor jackpot by the end of 5 balls. That was so fun and a real treat. Makes you take into account your reactor value if you are going to play this way. Once again, AMAZING job Scott. My son thinks you are awesome....and Charlie is pretty cool, too.

#2854 5 years ago

So Scott added in the cool speed run feature, but I haven't seen talk of anyone using it anywhere or posting speed times. My TNA is at home and 99% played solo by me My time for reactor 1 is 9 seconds (ball in core when reactor started), reactor 2 is 24, reactor 3 is 130, and reactor 4 is 233. What I think would also be fun also is to have speed totals from the plunging of ball 1 until reactor blowup what is the total time to blow up reactor 1, 2, etc.

#2855 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

*** Scott, my only request for a code update add-on would be from my son. He noticed the Password/code for every reactor is the same #5240. It would be cool to have this be random or at least different for every reactor. This would help with the narrative of the game. A little detail, but one I can't un-see since he pointed it out when we were able to beat reactor 3 on co-op the other night.

This is by design. Scott told me 5240 is an area code in Australia where someone lives (someone who worked on the game? Don't remember).

Quoted from Crile1:

I was under the impression that the whole game (for both player 1 and 2) would end if one of us reached total annihilation.

I think the game is just supposed to end for the player who destroyed all the reactors. It wouldn't make sense to end for everyone.

#2856 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

This is by design. Scott told me 5240 is an area code in Australia where someone lives (someone who worked on the game? Don't remember).

So you're saying he needs 8 more zip codes?

#2857 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

So you're saying he needs 8 more zip codes?

It's funny. I asked Scott about it at MGC. I asked him if the code meant anything (thinking it may have something to do with the keypad targets), but that was before I realized it was the same code every time.

#2858 5 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Mine came set to 110V in a 240V world I live in

So did ours. Also, the way the PSU is mounted in the cabinet, we had to unscrew it so we could turn it around and read/toggle the voltage switch. Could have used a small mirror, perhaps, had we had one at hand. Slightly annoying, but I'm glad we took the time to actually check, instead of hope for the best

The game rocks, though. We have it on half price for the first two weeks (2 credits pr. token), but I suspect it will still be the top earner for that period.

#2859 5 years ago

Oh, and I would suggest checking the lockdown bar for sharp edges that might need filing down. One of our customers on the first day cut his right palm while playing:

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34408924_10155365143961176_6392658194136563712_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=43bd71352dcf446be7f73c6d9b2b72b8&oe=5BC1180B

#2860 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

So did ours. Also, the way the PSU is mounted in the cabinet, we had to unscrew it so we could turn it around and read/toggle the voltage switch. Could have used a small mirror, perhaps, had we had one at hand. Slightly annoying, but I'm glad we took the time to actually check, instead of hope for the best
The game rocks, though. We have it on half price for the first two weeks (2 credits pr. token), but I suspect it will still be the top earner for that period.

I took a pic with my phone at the back so you could see the voltage setting.

#2861 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

nothing beats prime though plus amazon return policy. Any thoughts on the prime links?

Just installed the screen & controller board I got with the Amazon links I posted a few days ago. Everything works great. HUGE difference.

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Had to put a little electrical tape on the glass edge for the bass boom.

Can I bother you for a little more detail? Where did you put the tape? How much? Etc.

#2863 5 years ago

To keep the glass from rattling I tried adjusting the amplifier’s Subwoofer Volume dial, but it was already set super low. The slightest counterclockwise turn cuts the sub off entirely.

#2864 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Can I bother you for a little more detail? Where did you put the tape? How much? Etc.

I also plan on using anti-rattle tape, and foam weather stripping around the glass ride under the back channel. Also, rubber grommet shock absorbers between the screws, speaker panels, and maybe the mounting plates.

#2865 5 years ago

To keep the glass from rattling I tried adjusting the amplifier’s Subwoofer Volume dial, but it was already set super low. The slightest counterclockwise turn cuts the sub off entirely.

My amp has this same issue. It's either off or it's too much bass with no room for adjustment in between.

#2866 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Oh, and I would suggest checking the lockdown bar for sharp edges that might need filing down. One of our customers on the first day cut his right palm while playing:

Holy crap, I did the same thing but it was quite a bit worse! I've never ever even come close to this happening ever before. Totally shocked. Mine happened during game play.

Even stranger, the day my game showed up while I was cleaning off all the goo from the rails and hinges, I set the lockdown bar on a stool. I walked by it and barely brushed it off the stool. It fell and put a gash in my right achilles area of my leg. Super deep, almost needed stitches!

I got even with the damn thing when I ground it down so my lockdown mechanism would open/close without seizing up.

#2867 5 years ago

This is giving me pause. I hope spooky addresses some of these issues.

#2868 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Holy crap, I did the same thing but it was quite a bit worse! I've never ever even come close to this happening ever before. Totally shocked. Mine happened during game play.
Even stranger, the day my game showed up while I was cleaning off all the goo from the rails and hinges, I set the lockdown bar on a stool. I walked by it and barely brushed it off the stool. It fell and put a gash in my right achilles area of my leg. Super deep, almost needed stitches!
I got even with the damn thing when I ground it down so my lockdown mechanism would open/close without seizing up.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I actually plan on taking my lockdown bar and the side rails/back box hinge and having them all powdercoated matte/crinkle black (think same finish as Stern legs/rails) but will certainly check my bar ahead of handling it.

#2869 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

These aren't major enough issues that can't be take care of at home. Though a little disappointing, it can all be taken care of without too much hassle. Unlike splitting cabinets, ghosting inserts, and cracked clear coat. In the general scheme of things, it minor stuff.

Plus Spooky is known to take care of these types of things.

Thanks for the heads up on the lockdown bar issue.

#2870 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

These aren't major enough issues that can't be take care of at home. Though a little disappointing, it can all be taken care of without too much hassle. Unlike splitting cabinets, ghosting inserts, and cracked clear coat. In the general scheme of things, it minor stuff.
Plus Spooky is known to take care of these types of things.
Thanks for the heads up on the lockdown bar issue.

I agree completely. I mean these are legitimate complaints, but none of them, even combined, come close to making the pin not worth owning. It's just a few things that need to be looked at by Spooky, and they have already said that they are going to start taking a closer look at the side rails and clean them up before going out.

#2871 5 years ago

Just installed the screen &amp; controller board I got with the Amazon links I posted a few days ago. Everything works great. HUGE difference.

I agree... it really is a huge difference!

#2872 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Nah, it was only a minor issue, easily fixed. I mentioned it so people can check before anything happens, and so Spooky can perhaps forward the info to their suppliers.

For the record, we also got an MM remake with even sharper edges, on the side rails. Those were actually quite a bit more nasty.

#2873 5 years ago

Just installed the screen &amp; controller board I got with the Amazon links I posted a few days ago. Everything works great. HUGE difference.

Crap. Looks like Amazon is sold out of the controller board. See link below. Can anybody post a link to another screen and board option that will work? I don't mind waiting on shipping from China, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9CYNQD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks!
Craig

#2874 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Crap. Looks like Amazon is sold out of the controller board. See link below. Can anybody post a link to another screen and board option that will work? I don't mind waiting on shipping from China, etc.
amazon.com link »
Thanks!
Craig

Here you go - (from earlier in the thread) - ebay.com link: itm

Same seller, but delivery from China instead of their warehouse in the US. I messaged the seller and he told me it would be a 3-5 day delivery via DHL. YMMV.

This is for the controller board. The link for the screen is still good, as they don't seem to be in as short of supply.

#2875 5 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

More
Here you go - (from earlier in the thread) - ebay.com link
Same seller, but delivery from China instead of their warehouse in the US. I messaged the seller and he told me it would be a 3-5 day delivery via DHL. YMMV.
This is for the controller board. The link for the screen is still good, as they don't seem to be in as short of supply.

Awesome. thank you. Just purchased.

#2876 5 years ago

Any info on why production is going so slow

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Has there been an announcement of some kind that production is going to slow down? I have not heard that. We all know it will naturally slow down when ACNC goes on the line beside it.

#2878 5 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

That looks like the laser was cutting on the wrong side of the material. My hinges look the same, but with the ghost it looks intentional to me, so I don't really care.
For all those "suffering" from the bad LCD quality, be sure to adjust the screen properly before buying new stuff and see if you can live with that:
I set it to:
Contrast 90
Brightness 35
Gamma on
instead of the factory default 50, 50, on. That helped quite a bit. And the washed out blacks are reduced significantly. The little grey that remains complement the 80ies graphics style. YMMV - by a lot

I played with the settings myself, then came back to this post for comparison. My settings were very close to this, but my brightness was at 30 and contrast was 80. Definite improvement, but still not nearly as good as I was hoping for. What I should say is that these settings would be acceptable *if* there wasn't such an issue with viewing angle.

If you view the screen from straight on (put your head down near the playfield glass) and then slowly lift your head to your normal standing/playing position, you will see the picture quality deteriorate.

This is completely subjective and some people will be bothered by it more than others. It bothers me enough that I will probably go ahead and replace the LCD screen. To me, the stock LCD screen does not quite fit in with it's surroundings. I.e., the backglass looks nice and crisp, with great contrast and colors, not washed out at all. The old school Alphanumeric displays are nice and bright. Also, I have the LED speaker mod (which I personally consider a "must have" mod because of how great they look and how the colors are tied in with the code) which also looks bright, colorful and crisp. And even though it's not right next to the LCD display, the lighting of the PF also shows off some great saturated colors. All of this is in complete contrast to the dull, low contrast, washed out colors of the stock LCD display.

I'll be ordering the upgraded screen and board soon.

#2879 5 years ago

If anything it appears to me that production has sped up. A bunch of TNA's shipped in the last week or two.

#2880 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If anything it appears to me that production has sped up. A bunch of TNA's shipped in the last week or two.

Yeah but they've been under the 200 mark and mid 100s for ever

#2881 5 years ago

Yeah but they've been under the 200 mark and mid 100s for ever

Go track it and let us know

You may be suprised.

#2882 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

More
Awesome. thank you. Just purchased.

Good deal!

#2883 5 years ago

it definitely feels production is much quicker for the second hundred machines than for the first 100 machines.

#2884 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

it definitely feels production is much quicker for the second hundred machines than for the first 100 machines.

As you’d expect ... as production moves along, all the kinks are ironed out, and the staff learn how to do their job as efficiently as possible.

rd

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'll be ordering the upgraded screen and board soon.

All Spooky needs to do is tilt the display back like Stern does and this would help a lot. TNA suffers worse than normal because the backbox is already lower than standard pincab as to the early Bally design.

#2886 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

All Spooky needs to do is tilt the display back like Stern does and this would help a lot. TNA suffers worse than normal because the backbox is already lower than standard pincab as to the early Bally design.

I was considering doing this myself (wouldn't be hard to do) until I saw how bad the viewing angle is. The screen would have to be angled so much that it would look a bit ridiculous.

#2887 5 years ago

Anyone have issues with the tilt bob going nuts without player input? I tilted on reactor 4 destroy mode during 4 ball mb without nudging. I've filmed it dancing around for 2 minutes without touching the machine. I'm guessing the air pressure from the sub or a harmonic. Forgive me if already asked. Cool to witness but frustrating none the less.

#2888 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I was considering doing this myself (wouldn't be hard to do) until I saw how bad the viewing angle is. The screen would have to be angled so much that it would look a bit ridiculous.

Put it up on blocks. LOL!
I think Spooky should have stuck with a modern cab.

#2889 5 years ago

Put it up on blocks. LOL!

Totally disagree. The end game design is true to the roots of the prototype that everyone fell in love with.

#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Anyone have issues with the tilt bob going nuts without player input? I tilted on reactor 4 destroy mode during 4 ball mb without nudging. I've filmed it dancing around for 2 minutes without touching the machine. I'm guessing the air pressure from the sub or a harmonic. Forgive me if already asked. Cool to witness but frustrating none the less.

There are posts somewhere in this thread I think of steps need to "normalise" the tilt - its a combo of physical fixes and software settings.

Edit: here it is - was in the “other” TNA thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/115#post-4348764

#2891 5 years ago

Gross, no way

#2892 5 years ago

All the sudden, everything in my game connected to a coil stopped working. Flippers, slings, ball trough kickout, drop targets, etc.

All switches and lights still work fine.

I am sad. Help!

#2893 5 years ago

All the sudden, everything in my game connected to a coil stopped working. Flippers, slings, ball trough kickout, drop targets, etc.
All switches and lights still work fine.
I am sad. Help!

Check connectors and fuses

#2894 5 years ago

This might be a dumb question, but where are the fuses?

#2895 5 years ago

Found the two fuses in the back box. Tested both. Seem fine. Tracing wires and connectors and can’t find anything wrong. Only coils that DO work are the left and right controlled gates.

#2896 5 years ago

Found the two fuses in the back box. Tested both. Seem fine. Tracing wires and connectors and can’t find anything wrong. Only coils that DO work are the left and right controlled gates.

Coils are split across 2 driver boards. Driver chain is shared with LED driver boards. So that all sounds fine.

What else do all coils have in common? The 48v supply. Are the bank voltage LEDs on each end of the driver boards still on? There should be 3 LEDs on in the middle of the boards and 1 more LED on each end. Maybe just a loose connection back through the filter board or on the power supply, or maybe the power supply gave up.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#2897 5 years ago

Definitely missing some lights on those driver boards.

83B1D6DF-1110-42E1-BFEF-6F42BB814373 (resized).jpeg83B1D6DF-1110-42E1-BFEF-6F42BB814373 (resized).jpeg
#2898 5 years ago

Definitely missing some lights on those driver boards.

Indeed. Only 2 on in the middle of each board is fine. The 3rd one is only on before bus communication is established. The main issue is that the bank LEDs are off on 3 of the 4 banks. The lower left bank is on. Presumably that's a 12v bank, which is why your gates work.

The issue is definitely related to the 48v source. Could be wiring or the supply.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#2899 5 years ago

Thank you. I really appreciate your help. Will contact Spooky in the AM

#2900 5 years ago

On a related note, I just realized my TNA didn't come with a service manual.
Is there a PDF of it somewhere online? Or does a manual not exist (yet)?
Might one be coming, either online or printed, at some point?
Just wondering.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/58?hl=moonduckie78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.