(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 239.
#2551 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern and JJP have "loud" fans too. There's no point ...

It sounds like you'd care if it was a crappy bracket that kept breaking, but for 'peripheral sound/display/art/power', you don't care.

Bah. TNA is awesome because the entire game experience (sound, music, playfield art, lighting) is fantastic.
Swapping a few known-lame parts makes good sense to me - Scott's masterpiece deserves it. A game in my lineup deserves it.
If the game shipped with crappy speakers, people might be more vocal about improvements.
If I need to pay an additional $150 so that I don't have to pull/swap parts, no problem.

On a related note, when a TNA# order comes up, are there any options (lit speakers, etc)?

#2552 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think the wtf turns up the volume on your concerns. If you crave civility in your responses, lead with civility.

I do apologize for offending you.

#2553 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Scott's masterpiece deserves it. A game in my lineup deserves it.

That pretty much sums it up.

#2554 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I do apologize for offending you.

My panties weren’t bunched in the least. You felt attacked for simple polite rebuttals.

#2555 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Stern and JJP have "loud" fans too. There's no point ...

It sounds like you'd care if it was a crappy bracket that kept breaking, but for 'peripheral sound/display/art/power', you don't care.

That's a ridiculous analogy. The fan is not a problem. It's not a detraction from the experience. You can't tell the difference between the stock fan and one that was blessed by a wise sage to never make a sound no matter how high it's RPMs go while playing. Why would I want to add cost to a game for something that has zero difference to me? It's not a cheap part, it's a standard part. You have a Wizard of Oz, that's what the fan is going to be like in TNA.

#2556 5 years ago

Anyone complaining about the fan hasn't owned an XBOX ONE. Thing sometime sounds like a jet engine.

#2557 5 years ago

They repeated themselves over and over stating that they made decisions where possible that wouldn't harm gameplay but would keep the price from exceeding 6K.

#2558 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

That's a ridiculous analogy. The fan is not a problem. It's not a detraction from the experience. You can't tell the difference between the stock fan and one that was blessed by a wise sage to never make a sound no matter how high it's RPMs go while playing. Why would I want to add cost to a game for something that has zero difference to me? It's not a cheap part, it's a standard part. You have a Wizard of Oz, that's what the fan is going to be like in TNA.

I agree that it’s not worth makinging a mountain over a mole hill. You can hear the fan when not playing the game.

You can hear it while sitting idle, however. It’s definitively louder than WOZ, but not as loud as a MegaTouch

#2559 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I agree that it’s not worth makinging a mountain over a mole hill. You can hear the fan when not playing the game.
You can hear it while sitting idle, however. It’s definitively louder than WOZ, but not as loud as a MegaTouch

It's not a mountain, but noise in the background shouldn't be there. Not in my home!
It's been a few years, but perhaps for sake of full disclosure, I was involved with the making of this video:

#2560 5 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar

After getting some time in on TNA (awesome time, btw)... have you considered an advanced mode that makes the three bank up the middle a little more difficult? Thinking that once you complete a column to advance to qualify the reactor, if you strike a standup target associated with that column it actually removes the top lit pink insert and turns it blue?

Devilish?

Yes.

But that would really crank up the need to be accurate with target shots to get a reactor qualified and the scoop shot lit.

#2561 5 years ago

When the machine is idle does it play a Soundtrack like Woz does?

#2562 5 years ago

Ok, I must be blind but I don’t see a link In the thread for an alternate “improved” display that has the same mounting points. Has someone does this already, or is this all talk?

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

My panties weren’t bunched in the least. You felt attacked for simple polite rebuttals.

Thank you

#2564 5 years ago

Is anyone affiliated with Spooky in this forum?

#2565 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Is anyone affiliated with Spooky in this forum?

Yes.

#2566 5 years ago

Regarding the fan noise. I think the 48 V power supply in TNA is a 1000 watt Meanwell. I have this power supply for another project. I swapped out the stock 60 mm fan for a Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60mm fan. Not expensive. Now it's nice and quiet. Yellow solders to white on the old connector. I'm keeping the old fan though. The old fan draws 580 ma and pushes a lot more air than the 80 ma Vantec. Surely it don't need to dissipate much heat while driving coils but I am keeping the old one in case the Meanwell ever feels hot. Anyway, the fan swap is an easy job for anybody with a soldering iron, screw driver and an inch of heat shrink tubing.

#2567 5 years ago

I know scott is, but would also be good to get a list so users can 'tune-into' official posts only.

Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Regarding the fan noise. I think the 48 V power supply in TNA is a 1000 watt Meanwell. I have this power supply for another project. I swapped out the stock 60 mm fan for a Vantec Stealth SF6025L 60mm fan. Not expensive. Now it's nice and quiet. Yellow solders to white on the old connector. I'm keeping the old fan though. The old fan draws 580 ma and pushes a lot more air than the 80 ma Vantec. Surely it don't need to dissipate much heat while driving coils but I am keeping the old one in case the Meanwell ever feels hot. Anyway, the fan swap is an easy job for anybody with a soldering iron, screw driver and an inch of heat shrink tubing.

That is why I was looking for the specs on the stock, I'm worried using different cooling may not work as well when it means the most, spinning up etc. I was planning on having TNA on in my living room but will see how the fan is when I get it.

#2568 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Ok, I must be blind but I don’t see a link In the thread for an alternate “improved” display that has the same mounting points. Has someone does this already, or is this all talk?

This one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/51#post-4389862

#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I know scott is, but would also be good to get a list so users can 'tune-into' official posts only.

SpookyCharlie
SpookyKT

#2570 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

That is why I was looking for the specs on the stock, I'm worried using different cooling may not work as well when it means the most, spinning up etc.

I was planning on having TNA on in my living room, so I'll wait to see how loud the fan actually is when I get it.

#2572 5 years ago

There are 3 holes under the cabinet. One big one for the sub, and two smaller ones a little further towards the back. What are these for? They are both the same size and have mesh over them. Are the covered by the sub chamber cover? Part of the the sub chamber? Or do they open directly into the cab? Pictures of the inside of the cab would be appreciated.

#2573 5 years ago

Ports for the sub.

#2574 5 years ago

How hard is it to remove the sub cover? Want to add leg light ups and need a way to get into the cab from underneath.

#2575 5 years ago

There are ports out the back of the game/cab to run your wiring from. Please don’t open up the sub-chamber, it’s sealed for a reason.

#2576 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

There are ports out the back of the game/cab to run your wiring from. Please don’t open up the sub-chamber, it’s sealed for a reason.

thanks!! yes it is sealed for a good reason!!

#2578 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

How hard is it to remove the sub cover? Want to add leg light ups and need a way to get into the cab from underneath.

LEG LIGHT-UPS!!! Don't forget your DRINK LIGHT-UPS and your HINGE LIGHT-UPS!!

#2579 5 years ago

Just pointing out this is the same exact power supply we've used for 5 years... tested tried and true. IF you start modding them or replacing it, you're doing so at your own risk and the warranty is gone.

The only time you'll hear the fan is in a perfectly quiet room. Same as a computer, stereo amp, video game console, etc etc etc. There are suitable fanless replacements out there but again, not tested by us and fairly expensive.

The displays being pointed to are obsolete and not available in bulk. It's the same one we used in RZ, and ColorDMD used them as well. Sadly they hit end of life cycle.

If you want to mess with your displays, turn the Gamma setting to "on" with the display driver board menu. You can mess with brightness, contrast, etc via that. The viewing angle on TnA is a bit lower than our standard games due to the retro cabinet body being a few inches shorter in height.

I totally get it... not judging anyone doing anything in these regards, just ... be careful out there!

#2580 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Just pointing out this is the same exact power supply we've used for 5 years... tested tried and true. IF you start modding them or replacing it, you're doing so at your own risk and the warranty is gone.
The only time you'll hear the fan is in a perfectly quiet room. Same as a computer, stereo amp, video game console, etc etc etc. There are suitable fanless replacements out there but again, not tested by us and fairly expensive.
The displays being pointed to are obsolete and not available in bulk. It's the same one we used in RZ, and ColorDMD used them as well. Sadly they hit end of life cycle.
If you want to mess with your displays, turn the Gamma setting to "on" with the display driver board menu. You can mess with brightness, contrast, etc via that. The viewing angle on TnA is a bit lower than our standard games due to the retro cabinet body being a few inches shorter in height.
I totally get it... not judging anyone doing anything in these regards, just ... be careful out there!

Nice that the owner is upfront and addressing these things. Other companies should take note. Thanks for the communication and looking forward to meeting the whole team when I pick up my butter cabinet TNA.

#2581 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I installed mine by running the wires through the power switch opening. Quick and easy.

#2582 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

LEG LIGHT-UPS!!! Don't forget your DRINK LIGHT-UPS and your HINGE LIGHT-UPS!!

And Pinstadium lights. That way your TNA can be seen from space.

#2583 5 years ago

Does anyone know what rubbers are used on TNA? Looking to buy a backup set as some of my rubber are starting to wear by the posts.

thanks.

#2584 5 years ago

Pinball Life’s PerfectPlay ring/post rubbers in clear. (Main flipper rubbers are purple and a 1” red for the upper. TNA also uses the “slim” post sleeve rubbers in clear too.)

Can be found here...
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=464&pg=1

#2585 5 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does anyone know what rubbers are used on TNA? Looking to buy a backup set as some of my rubber are starting to wear by the posts.
thanks.

There’s a set listing on Scott’s website:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwjXq_-yFIkouIl6ymJw9wfq6O8rOhnZ/view

You can buy the Pinball Life ones which are the same as original, or get some Titans.

66ED2A87-5BBE-4411-B426-A6406B6C2D8D (resized).jpeg66ED2A87-5BBE-4411-B426-A6406B6C2D8D (resized).jpeg

#2586 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Bah. TNA is awesome because the entire game experience (sound, music, playfield art, lighting) is fantastic.
Swapping a few known-lame parts makes good sense to me - Scott's masterpiece deserves it. A game in my lineup deserves it.
If the game shipped with crappy speakers, people might be more vocal about improvements.
If I need to pay an additional $150 so that I don't have to pull/swap parts, no problem.
On a related note, when a TNA# order comes up, are there any options (lit speakers, etc)?

Wait, are you on the list? I better get my tickets booked sooner rather than later!

#2587 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

I installed a ColorDMD spec LCD panel in my TNA today. Wow, what a difference! Turns out the stock HDMI to LVDS converter board used on TNA can be reprogrammed with a 1920x1080 firmware file using something like this https://tinyurl.com/y7q6jx36 or you can just buy one of these https://tinyurl.com/y7l6m9yy specifically matched to your HD panel such as one like this https://tinyurl.com/ydel6ahz
Major improvement for the contrast and viewing angle. Pinks and greens look amazing too!
And in typical ColorDMD fashion, first game, I had my best game yet with 5 reactors destroyed!

will that screen need anything to mount it?

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

will that screen need anything to mount it?

Nope.

#2589 5 years ago

Picked up the custom brackets from herg for the speaker lights. Looks so much better.

Here is a picture with one installed and then another with both. The brackets diffuse the lights so much better. A must have in my opinion if you get the speaker lights.

C9AF1182-1A1B-4317-841A-1F9B6F85AA38 (resized).jpegC9AF1182-1A1B-4317-841A-1F9B6F85AA38 (resized).jpeg

D3FA8D10-DBB5-4549-8DCE-F7DE97C289D7 (resized).jpegD3FA8D10-DBB5-4549-8DCE-F7DE97C289D7 (resized).jpeg

#2590 5 years ago

Agreed- herg speaker light diffusers are well worth the investment. MUCH better than stock.

#2591 5 years ago

All pinstadium now work for tna and they are amazon with the us flasher. Video to come soon

#2592 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

All pinstadium now work for tna and they are amazon with the us flasher. Video to come soon

In my opinion, TNA definitely does not need this. I also worry about how it is hooked up. What are you tapping into?
--Scott

#2593 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

In my opinion, TNA definitely does not need this. I also worry about how it is hooked up. What are you tapping into?
--Scott

No game needs mods.... and i agree it probably is one of the least needy games for play field illumination. With that said uv glow flasher on this game is probably the best addition I have seen to date and this theme is most appropriate.

To hook up I tap the following:

1. Service outlet created against the ac input into game. Ac dc plugin transformer plugged into this new outlet.

2. Gi: Tap into a gi bulb in back right of play field. To tap into this use positive port and g port ( since those bulbs don’t goto green usually and g is used for their white illumination ). There is 0 measureable drop because of this as it’s a solid state trigger. No dimming no issues

3. Flasher : 12v output to shaker tapped for same type of trigger as above.

#2594 5 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar you live an hour away I really invite you to come check out my machine with this and get a real life opinion. I’m not affiliated with pin stadium in anyway and I just thought this would look awesome on my tna

#2595 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

thenotrashcougar you live an hour away I really invite you to come check out my machine with this and get a real life opinion. I’m not affiliated with pin stadium in anyway and I just thought this would look awesome on my tna

If you think Scott has the time to drive an hour each way to check out the LEDs you put in his machine, you're either overestimating the amount of free time he has or underestimating the amount of time he's still spending on TNA.

Unless you don't realize that (@notrashcouger == Scott Danesi)...

#2596 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

If you think Scott has the time to drive an hour each way to check out the LEDs you put in his machine, you're either overestimating the amount of free time he has or underestimating the amount of time he's still spending on TNA.
Unless you don't realize that (@notrashcouger == Scott Danesi)...

I do realize that he is Scott Danesi. I merely offers him an invite into my home to check something out if he wanted to. Sorry it offends you and sorry you think Scott doesn’t have a life outside of working on tna and needs to serve you 24/7

#2597 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I do realize that he is Scott Danesi. I merely offers him an invite into my home to check something out if he wanted to. Sorry it offends you and sorry you think Scott doesn’t have a life outside of working on tna and needs to serve you 24/7

Ok. I think you've missed my point, and don't really understand what I was saying, but that's fine. Scott's a friend, but more text clearly isn't going to fix this misunderstanding. I'm sorry to have gotten involved.

Enjoy your TNA!

#2598 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Pinstadium looks bad in every single game i have seen it in. Shame to see people so obsessed with blinging out games that they continually bastardize them with over the top blow out the art led kits like that. Amazed people pay so much to trash their games and many times make them unplayable with the strobe effect of crappy led strips.

I guess, looking forward to photos and video to see if pinstadium can finally look good in a game or if it messes up what was already a good thing.

#2599 5 years ago

Before and after pictures attached.

9A91F5A8-DE75-4106-A0A5-3D924A35C5D9 (resized).jpeg9A91F5A8-DE75-4106-A0A5-3D924A35C5D9 (resized).jpeg

9CD89813-1241-49D0-8C12-A8E5641FE366 (resized).jpeg9CD89813-1241-49D0-8C12-A8E5641FE366 (resized).jpeg

#2600 5 years ago

I had to rush out and get these.

OGsPurple_2_1024x1024 (resized).jpgOGsPurple_2_1024x1024 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.