(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,941 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 239.
#2501 5 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Question for anyone who has installed the lighted side rails. Are the plastic channels inside the rail stapled to the cabinet? Mine are sticking out a bit too far and cannot for the life of me get them to push in any further

Most likely stapled , but they also fit into a groove , they will not move .

#2502 5 years ago

Prototyping a TNA Instruction card LCD mod. Getting to use a bunch of my 3d printer filament colors I never use. Any images can cycle on a timer or play videos. I got the full boot up time down to 7 seconds. Video of boot up:

IMG-0871 (resized).JPGIMG-0871 (resized).JPG

IMG-0870 (resized).JPGIMG-0870 (resized).JPG

#2503 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Finally spent a substantial amount of time to figure out why my lockdown bar is so insanely tight!! Both adjustment screws have been all the way up since day one but there's times when I almost can't get the game open or buttoned back up. Started to worry me.
I compared the lockdown mechanism mounting position to other games and measured lockdown bar with calipers to compare to other lockdown bars. Everything seemed to check out.
It was pretty apparent that the lock slide was hitting too low on the chamfered hooks to engage.
When the pf is in the down position the pf hangers hit the lockdown bar's two 90deg bent tabs and hold the lockdown bar way too high to engage. I ground off between 1/16" and 1/8" on these tabs where they come into contact with the pf hangers. I also ground the two chamfers a little larger. I moved the beer tape up against the two tabs so it wouldn't press up so much on the lockdown bar being on the bend, and that's also where it was located on my other bars.
Now, everything is working as it should. Even screwed the two lockdown mechanism adjustment screws down a tiny bit to fine tune the tightness on the lockdown bar in the closed position.

I have the same issue - is the pic the after from the grinding? can you share a pic of where and what you ground?

ive found you have to push the playfield down to hook it in right...

SpookyCharlie you should check what you are doing here as its not 100%

Neil.

#2504 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Prototyping a TNA Instruction card LCD mod. Getting to use a bunch of my 3d printer filament colors I never use. Any images can cycle on a timer or play videos. I got the full boot up time down to 7 seconds. Video of boot up: » YouTube video

That looks cool, you going to sell a complete kit?

#2505 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

That looks cool, you going to sell a complete kit?

I'll probably start with the STL file for other people to print, parts list, and pi image so the hardware tinker people can get a hold of it. If there is actual interest I can put some kits together.

#2506 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

I'll probably start with the STL file for other people to print, parts list, and pi image so the hardware tinker people can get a hold of it. If there is actual interest I can put some kits together.

Are there any install instructions?

#2507 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Awesome work! Hope to buy one!

#2508 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have the same issue

Safest thing to do is figure out why it's so tight before grinding anything. That photo is is after grinding, you cans see my sharpie mark and where I ground a little over 1/16" off the tab. Same on other tab in slightly different position.

I think the lockdown bar is hitting the 2 playfield hanger hooks and they are holding the lockdown bar up to high relative to the lock slide mechanism.

Something weird is going on but not totally sure what it is. You can see more pics of hangers sitting too high in my other post.

#2509 5 years ago

I’ve noticed this too on mine but until last night didn’t cause any issue. I only had to adjust he playfield slightly to even things out and get my lock bar back on.

Also, TNA#107 gets put on location tonight! Token Game Tavern in Knoxville. It is replacing my Walking Dead which has been lowest earner every month it’s been there which was kind of surprising to me.

#2510 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

It is replacing my Walking Dead which has been lowest earner every month it’s been there which was kind of surprising to me.

Which means you should just probably sell the TWD to me

#2511 5 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Added: cage over beacon and pulsing back light on top. Cage is from a 60’s blast proof light fixture. Speaker covers in radiation symbol. Also have a pair of these I might put on top.

Enjoyed your pin the most out of all of the new pins i tried at YEGPIN. Thanks for donating it to the event! Curious as to how many plays it got as i didnt see it sitting idle once all weekend!

#2512 5 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar

My right flipper gives way a tad bit when taking a direct hit from the left scoop. If I leave the flipper up, the ball drops it about 1/4 - 1/2" before snapping back up into the up position.

Any ideas on adjustments? Settings? To keep that from happening?

#2513 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

TheNoTrashCougar
My right flipper gives way a tad bit when taking a direct hit from the left scoop. If I leave the flipper up, the ball drops it about 1/4 - 1/2" before snapping back up into the up position.

That is how it is designed.

#2514 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

TheNoTrashCougar

Go to service-> settings->machine(standard)->Flipper hold boost and turn that up to 3.

On my machine this solved the problem and was originally suggested to my by @thenotrashcougar.

#2515 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Go to service-> settings->machine(standard)->Flipper hold boost and turn that up to 3.
On my machine this solved the problem and was originally suggested to my by thenotrashcougar.

Thanks!

#2516 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There has also been a suggestion to change the return spring to these ones, unless your machine is newer and may already have updated return springs.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=774

#2517 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Enjoyed your pin the most out of all of the new pins i tried at YEGPIN. Thanks for donating it to the event! Curious as to how many plays it got as i didnt see it sitting idle once all weekend!

I think that TNA was only idle 2x (when it broke down) but the techs had it up and running very quickly. Both times a flipper return spring had broken. Tech said that there were burrs around the holes where the springs were attached.

#2518 5 years ago

I wonder how TNA does at locations compared to others... if it's a frustrating game, maybe some rate lower on pinside but sink more quarters into it...

#2519 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I wonder how TNA does at locations compared to others

If I had one on location, I'd put a sign on it that explains what co-op mode is and how to start it.

#2520 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

If I had one on location, I'd put a sign on it that explains what co-op mode is and how to start it.

Or have 2 TNAs side-by-side connected to each other and have some type of battle between them somehow... triggering stuff on the other's machine etc. when you start to play 1, the other one invites people to battle

#2521 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Or have 2 TNAs side-by-side connected to each other and have some type of battle between them somehow... triggering stuff on the other's machine etc. when you start to play 1, the other one invites people to battle

Nope. I'd do the one that's possible.

#2522 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Nope. I'd do the one that's possible.

It is!

#2523 5 years ago

What part - getting TWO TNAs? That might take a while . . .

#2524 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

What part - getting TWO TNAs? That might take a while . . .

I was thinking more as a fun 'brainstorm' idea that may be possible for some pin to do in the future... having more than 1 pin at a location could maybe attract more players than not having them networked and interact as nodes, like the car driving/racing cabinets do. Possible in that regard.

#2525 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I was thinking more as a fun 'brainstorm' idea that may be possible for some pin to do in the future... having more than 1 pin at a location could maybe attract more players than not having them networked and interact as nodes, like the car driving/racing cabinets do. Possible in that regard.

The p3 has a versus game that uses 2 machines . It is a ton of fun if you hit a red shot on your game it traps it and releases a ball on the other player's game . It is really cool the way they did it , it seems as though you physically sent them your ball and vice versa .

#2526 5 years ago

The VFW's Showcase had a TNA on loan for the weekend.
22 hours of use about 560 games played, had only 2 ball searches and the glass was never removed.

#2527 5 years ago

I installed a ColorDMD spec LCD panel in my TNA today. Wow, what a difference! Turns out the stock HDMI to LVDS converter board used on TNA can be reprogrammed with a 1920x1080 firmware file using something like this https://tinyurl.com/y7q6jx36 or you can just buy one of these https://tinyurl.com/y7l6m9yy specifically matched to your HD panel such as one like this https://tinyurl.com/ydel6ahz

Major improvement for the contrast and viewing angle. Pinks and greens look amazing too!

And in typical ColorDMD fashion, first game, I had my best game yet with 5 reactors destroyed!

TNA1080sm (resized).jpgTNA1080sm (resized).jpg

#2528 5 years ago

Wow is that using the panel you've linked to?

#2529 5 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Wow is that using the panel you've linked to?

Same specs as that link, but I didn't buy my panel on eBay from that link though.

#2530 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

I installed a ColorDMD spec LCD panel in my TNA today. Wow, what a difference! Turns out the stock HDMI to LVDS converter board used on TNA can be reprogrammed with a 1920x1080 firmware file using something like this https://tinyurl.com/y7q6jx36 or you can just buy one of these https://tinyurl.com/y7l6m9yy specifically matched to your HD panel such as one like this https://tinyurl.com/ydel6ahz
Major improvement for the contrast and viewing angle. Pinks and greens look amazing too!
And in typical ColorDMD fashion, first game, I had my best game yet with 5 reactors destroyed!

That is great. The panel that it ships with is white wash looking for sure.

#2531 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Ok I need more pictures or a video please.

#2532 5 years ago

So when I get my TNA, I need to replace the loud power supply, fix the loud light AND replace the display? wtf.

#2533 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

So when I get my TNA, I need to replace the loud power supply, fix the loud light AND replace the display? wtf.

No

#2534 5 years ago

Ok, so why are other replacing them? fun?

#2535 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

Quoted from bitpatrol:

It all works out of the box. People replace them for personal preference. You can enjoy the game 100% without them. Think of them as installing mods, as opposed to replacing them because they won't work otherwise. Completely optional.

#2536 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

You do not have to replace anything. But some people like to change pieces of the pins to there liking. I can tell you this none the the item you listed matter once you plug the ball and the game is attacking you.

#2537 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

some people like to mod to make their game different or improve it in their eyes. Modding is a big part of the hobby for some.

since audihere is affiliated with colordmd, I am guessing they are playing around with the idea on how to find new markets since colordmd is nearing completion for all DMD related games.

as for the loud fan and topper light gear, I think just personal preference. Some people get really fixated on any sound they think should not be in a game.

reminds me of my pops who was a car guy. On more than one occasion he returned a car to a dealer or sold it because it had a noise or squeak that would occasionally happen and it drove him nuts.

#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

some people like to mod to make their game different or improve it in their eyes. Modding is a big part of the hobby for some.
since audihere is affiliated with colordmd, I am guessing they are playing around with the idea on how to find new markets since colordmd is nearing completion for all DMD related games.
as for the loud fan and topper light gear, I think just personal preference. Some people get really fixated on any sound they think should not be in a game.
reminds me of my pops who was a car guy. On more than one occasion he returned a car to a dealer or sold it because it had a noise or squeak that would occasionally happen and it drove him nuts.

There are mods and fixes, and the loud power supply, loud light and now 'washed out' lcd are fixes to me. I see I'll get roasted if I bring up anything negative so I'll keep my comments to myself, but I have a weird gut feeling about this.

#2539 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

There are mods and fixes, and the loud power supply, loud light and now 'washed out' lcd are fixes to me. I see I'll get roasted if I bring up anything negative so I'll keep my comments to myself, but I have a weird gut feeling about this.

I'll politely disagree. Fixes imply that something is not operational and needs to be corrected. The machine plays out of the box. These are all things that people are choosing to do because they don't want to hear the loud fan, don't want to hear the beacon motor, or have difficulty seeing due to viewing angle. Doesn't mean they don't work.

I have a perfectly functional garbage disposal. It's loud but does the job and can certainly be used. However, when I replace my countertops, I'm going to change out the sink and the garbage disposal, because my new garbage disposal will be much quieter. True story.

#2540 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

nah, you are fine to think of them as needed fixes. Everyone has different standards for what they expect in a game.
I personally am more concerned with things like cabinet construction, play-field durability, decal quality, etc...

I honestly have never noticed the power supply fan at all, but then again since Stern switched to a similar design everyone says those are louder also but I dont notice them. I also have no issue with "washed out" LCD and dont think anyone has said that, but rather than they find it to have limited viewing angle. I honestly am not sure what they mean; is it at different height people that it looks weird to them? or from the side? To me the LCD look nice and good color saturation.

The topper gear can be heard but is a simple 5 minute tweak if you want it quieter.

If you are concerned with a loud PS and the viewing angle of the LCD, then more power to you to change them for what you like. Hundreds of people have played my game and nobody has mentioned either as an issue so from what I see the discussion seems to be isolated to the Pinside vision.

#2541 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I see I'll get roasted if I bring up anything negative so I'll keep my comments to myself, but I have a weird gut feeling about this.

Oh come on, we're just disagreeing with you and people are explaining the reasons why. Roasting?

#2542 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

I think the wtf turns up the volume on your concerns. If you crave civility in your responses, lead with civility.

#2543 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think the wtf turns up the volume on your concerns. If you crave civility in your responses, lead with civility.

Dang, more roasting.

#2544 5 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

The beacon is fine - does its job and is impossible to hear when the game sound is on. Same goes for the fan...

The LCD does have generally poor off axis viewing... elevated blacks and resulting poor contrast. Just the result of the display and one of the issues with LCD technology. Of course, some LCDs are better than others.

Do you have to change it to enjoy the game? Absolutely not.

But it’s on my list to switch out.

#2545 5 years ago

The game is so fast & crazy, so who the hell has time to look at the LCD screen??? Take your eyes off the ball & you're screwed! Watch the ball & you're screwed anyway

Only time I glance at the screen is to see what the reactor value is at. The game will call out when the reactor is maxed anyway. Once you are familiar with the game, everything the player needs to know is obtainable via the great callouts, lit inserts, or the GI lighting color scheme. Hell even the old school playfield plastics tell you what to shoot for. The screen is really just eye candy.

#2546 5 years ago

To me, this game is so RAD (pun intended) that I'm happy to do these under-the-hood mods. Swapping out the display costs less than half the price of fanless power supply. The links I posted above are for the DIY type. No plans to ever offer any kits. You just need one or two parts and some basic tools plus electrical tape to re-mask off the edges of the bracket. Super easy and the improvement is bad ass!

#2547 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The game is so fast & crazy, so who the hell has time to look at the LCD screen??? Take your eyes off the ball & you're screwed! Watch the ball & you're screwed anyway
Only time I glance at the screen is to see what the reactor value is at. The game will call out when the reactor is maxed anyway. Once you are familiar with the game, everything the player needs to know is obtainable via the great callouts, lit inserts, or the GI lighting color scheme. Hell even the old school playfield plastics tell you what to shoot for. The screen is really just eye candy.

You're not wrong, but it's something many people have noticed, myself included, and it bothers some more than others. I have noticed that the stock screen looks pretty good from off angles (sides, further back), it really suffers the most from the playing position, and the taller you are the worse the contrast gets.

I wonder if the stock monitor could be mounted upside down and if that would improve things? Sometimes these LCDs will have a better viewing angle in one vertical axis vs. another.

#2548 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You're not wrong, but it's something many people have noticed, myself included, and it bothers some more than others. I have noticed that the stock screen looks pretty good from off angles (sides, further back), it really suffers the most from the playing position, and the taller you are the worse the contrast gets.
I wonder if the stock monitor could be mounted upside down and if that would improve things? Sometimes these LCDs will have a better viewing angle in one vertical axis vs. another.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about the stock monitor.... is there a way to flip it and flip the image?

#2549 5 years ago

Sadly, it appears 'improvements' are a problem for pin companies because this community can't handle change without canceling pre-orders or demanding free upgrades.

As Spooky builds more games, I'd like to see them listen to customer feedback and make stealth improvements as they go along.
It's not hard to find an inexpensive, quality display nowadays. Why not replace the power supply with something quiet?
They are building hundreds of games (and hopefully thousands), not millions. They should make improvements as they learn from games on route, etc.

#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Sadly, it appears 'improvements' are a problem for pin companies because this community can't handle change without canceling pre-orders or demanding free upgrades.
As Spooky builds more games, I'd like to see them listen to customer feedback and make stealth improvements as they go along.
It's not hard to find an inexpensive, quality display nowadays. Why not replace the power supply with something quiet?
They are building hundreds of games (and hopefully thousands), not millions. They should make improvements as they learn from games on route, etc.

The fan is fine. Stern and JJP have "loud" fans too. There's no point in springing for a fanless power supply or a more expensive fan. If anybody has an excuse to use a perfectly fine option that costs less, it's a small run company like Spooky. I never noticed any issues with the display any time I've played it. There are always going to be nicer displays out there, sure.

I remember being surprised by how loud the fan was on my GBLE, but didn't care after a couple of days. I don't leave my games on if I'm not playing them, and you can't hear the fans in these things while playing. It's a non-issue unless for some reason you leave your games on and fans stress you out or something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/51?hl=jakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.