(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg
20240310_214123 (resized).jpg
20240310_214158 (resized).jpg
20240310_214519 (resized).jpg
20240310_142704 (resized).jpg
IMG_3820 (resized).jpeg
20221212_214152 (resized).jpg
Untitled22ja112 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 239.
#1701 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Playfield protectors are hot garbage, and utterly unnecessary for home use games. If someone tried to sell me a game with one of those protectors on it they'd have to either cut their price or remove it before I'd take it.
Your game, do whatever you want, but if you're new to pinball stop being paranoid about your playfield.

I’m guessing these are hot for home use as people don’t play games like a game on location gets played and don’t see the long term affects. Home use games don’t wear unless your using rusty balls and never wiping the game down for 20 years. I’m sure these will cloud up quickly and collect lots of dust under them on a location game wich is what would actually need a protector. We had one on and Addams here at The Sanctum. Got very cloudy very quickly. It’s getting a new playfield currently.

Not saying the playfield protectors don’t have a place. An old Bally with cupped inserts everywhere. Do a few touchups and lay one of those protectors down and it would be a massive upgrade. Great bang for the buck and easy solution for most anyone.

From what I’ve seen with spooky playfields I think it’s very unnecessary to have one on it.

#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Playfield protectors are hot garbage, and utterly unnecessary for home use games. If someone tried to sell me a game with one of those protectors on it they'd have to either cut their price or remove it before I'd take it.
Your game, do whatever you want, but if you're new to pinball stop being paranoid about your playfield.

This is not very sound advice. You use extreme terms like 'hot garbage', 'utterly unnecessary', 'cut their price', 'paranoid' etc. You must have had a bad experience with a playfield protector at one point, but the one I have on my AFMrLE is just fabulous and others agree. If it's not for you, I can understand, but for you to accuse someone of having a mental disorder because they want to protect their game is odd.

#1703 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

This is not very sound advice. You use extreme terms like 'hot garbage', 'utterly unnecessary', 'cut their price', 'paranoid' etc. You must have had a bad experience with a playfield protector at one point, but the one I have on my AFMrLE is just fabulous and others agree. If it's not for you, I can understand, but for you to accuse someone of having a mental disorder because they want to protect their game is odd.

Mental disorder? Wow that’s taking political correctness to a new level.

#1704 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Mental disorder? Wow that’s taking political correctness to a new level.

it is a bit drastic to call someone paranoid over a plastic protector no?

"n. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason."

https://www.wordnik.com/words/paranoia

Maybe it is a bit crazy that I am looking to protect Scott's creation so carefully though, you may have a point.

#1705 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

it is a bit drastic to call someone paranoid over a plastic protector no?
"n. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason."
https://www.wordnik.com/words/paranoia
Maybe it is a bit crazy that I am looking to protect Scott's creation so carefully though, you may have a point.

Wow, now with the definitions. I don't think Aurich was actually trying to diagnose you.

I can't speak for anyone else. Do what you want to your game, but for me: Three reasons why I would never install a playfield protector: Pinball is a ball rolling on wood. The game DOES play differently with the ball on plastic. Spooky playfield quality seems to be outstanding.

#1706 6 years ago

Has a Groundhogs Day pin ever been done?

It could have modes that repeat and repeat and repeat over and over and over and never seem to end... with callouts like "Watch out for playfield dimples", or "Don't forget your cliffy/playfield/mantus/plastic protectors", or the ever so magical "It just doesn't play like the original".

#1707 6 years ago

If you want to stick a grandma couch cover on your game go for it, I don't play on your game, you do, whatever makes you happy.

#1708 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

+1 on that. Buy and play. These aren’t display items!!!

#1709 6 years ago

My fish tales inserts were pretty worn so I put down an overlay to make it look a bit nicer. I bought a playfield protector to keep that guy looking nice.

If micro decides to make fish tales playfields I might jump on that train and spruce up everything on her. However for current time I’ve got it looking much better. Different strokes for different folks though

#1710 6 years ago

Finally broke 3 million. Almost had a heart attack as well. Damn “D” target is a killer.

F1F8B3D5-FC2B-4640-9715-DF58B3DF1124 (resized).pngF1F8B3D5-FC2B-4640-9715-DF58B3DF1124 (resized).png

#1711 6 years ago

Deposit in! Halfway in the club!!

#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

From what I’ve seen with spooky playfields I think it’s very unnecessary to have one on it.

same with JJP or CGC. The only playfield protectors I would recommend for home for NIB games are Sterns, but even that is kinda pointless if you only plan to play it like 500 times or less. until you hit like 10,000 plays you won't really see much benefit. Unless you don't want dimples then yeah...
Personally I don't really see much difference in play with it and without. So I'm not sure why this is such a polarizing issue.
anyway

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Deposit in! Halfway in the club!!

you get a #?

#1713 6 years ago

Either 330 or 334

#1714 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

100% agree with you. I tried one once, hated it. Removed it and threw it away. They sound weird, the ball behaves different, they get all scratched and cloudy. Just play the damn machine and enjoy it.

#1715 6 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Damn “D” target is a killer.

Bane of my life. It’s almost a multiball only target that one.

Nice score.

#1716 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Just play the damn machine and enjoy it.

TNA is the first game I’m not putting any protectors on at all.

The game is the pared back, pure essesnce of Pinball. Changing it in any way seems fundamentally wrong. It deserves to age gracefully like a good early 80’s Bally Solid State.

#1717 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I tried one once, hated it. Removed it and threw it away. They sound weird, the ball behaves different, they get all scratched and cloudy

I would not put a protector on a NIB game too, don’t think home use can ever destroy commercial equipment.
That said you must have gotten a different product or are talking about a really old version. All 5 protectors i used on different machines over the last years are top notch products. They fit like a glove, didn‘t get cloudy or scratched at the slightest and basically look like i put them in yesterday!

It definitely alters the ball movement but very subtle and has in no way a negative effect on gameplay imo!

Overkill for NIB in my opinion but not a bad option if you really want to keep everything pristine.

#1718 6 years ago

After seeing the playfield pictures that spooky put out on their test rig I would think a protector is unnecessary on this game. 1 million balls plunged or something and I believe it is continually running still. That rig has never been cleaned too.

Here it is....WOW!
https://www.facebook.com/SpookyPinball/posts/1587463011314920

#1719 6 years ago

Scott, what is the voltage of the GI on this game? Is it a 6 volt power source I can access for a mod?
If not, I plan on having a standalone 12volt source in the cab so will use a voltage adapter from that.

#1720 6 years ago

Trying to teach my fighting game players how to play TNA. I think they dig it, but none of them are pinball players, so it's hard to capture their interest.

IMG_6829 (resized).jpgIMG_6829 (resized).jpg

#1721 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Trying to teach my fighting game players how to play TNA. I think they dig it, but none of them are pinball players, so it's hard to capture their interest.

I was a vid guy when I was a kid. Never looked twice at a pinball machine. Now all the vids I play are on consoles and emulators, and probably for about 1/10th the time I spend on pinball. I think a head-to-head style format would appeal to fighting game guys the most, since it appeals to the one-on-one aspect, as oppose to the player vs machine aspect.

#1722 6 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Scott, what is the voltage of the GI on this game? Is it a 6 volt power source I can access for a mod?
If not, I plan on having a standalone 12volt source in the cab so will use a voltage adapter from that.

The GI does not run the same way as on other games. These are all individually controlled LEDs. You cannot tap power from them. I would also avoid tapping into the 12v or 5v lines of this game for mods as it is pretty taxed as is. The Accessory power supply that we carry at Pinball Life for TNA provides tons of safe power for mods though.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4855

--Scott

#1723 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was a vid guy when I was a kid. Never looked twice at a pinball machine. Now all the vids I play are on consoles and emulators, and probably for about 1/10th the time I spend on pinball. I think a head-to-head style format would appeal to fighting game guys the most, since it appeals to the one-on-one aspect, as oppose to the player vs machine aspect.

Head to head like Joust? Not sure what you mean.

You're right though, pinball is you vs the machine, fighting games are you vs the other player. Different appeals. Fighting games are pretty unique that way honestly.

#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

The GI does not run the same way as on other games. These are all individually controlled LEDs. You cannot tap power from them. I would also avoid tapping into the 12v or 5v lines of this game for mods as it is pretty taxed as is. The Accessory power supply that we carry at Pinball Life for TNA provides tons of safe power for mods though.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4855
--Scott

Kind of what I thought with the light show, and being a unique platform. Always better to ask and blow up reactors, not the machine!
Thank you for a quick reply.

Ryan

#1725 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Head to head like Joust? Not sure what you mean.
You're right though, pinball is you vs the machine, fighting games are you vs the other player. Different appeals. Fighting games are pretty unique that way honestly.

Like 2 "identical" machines set up side-by-side, and it's essentially a race to reach or accomplish a goal first. For TNA, I would imagine blowing up X number of reactors (depending on player skill). This would be instead of playing for points and competing against other players that way.

#1726 6 years ago

Just sent deposit. Looks like I'm #337. Unless someone in the low 100's wants to switch with me.

juice (resized).pngjuice (resized).png

#1727 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just sent deposit. Looks like I'm #337. Unless someone in the low 100's wants to switch with me.

Wow, #337. Momentum doesn't seem to be slowing.

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Like 2 "identical" machines set up side-by-side, and it's essentially a race to reach or accomplish a goal first. For TNA, I would imagine blowing up X number of reactors (depending on player skill). This would be instead of playing for points and competing against other players that way.

Could be fun. I have side by side candy cabs, but I'm definitely not buying side by side pinballs.

#1729 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

They sound weird, the ball behaves different, they get all scratched and cloudy. Just play the damn machine and enjoy it.

I agree that the ball feels different on them. Probably unnecessary on TNA, and I have never considered getting one to prevent dimpling on my HUO only games (it's gonna happen, and I'm not worried about it). I did, however, get one for my Flash, as the balls were getting stuck on cupped inserts. The playfield protector was easier than putting new inserts in and making sure they were level.

#1730 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Can anyone answer how easy it is to take the head off?

I am officially in the club. #80 arrived today. Maybe the first intentional decapitation.

Unfortunately, not as easy as I hoped. Maybe I approached it wrong. Maybe I could have done it easier from below, but not easy from up top.

My biggest issues were:
- there was a loop running from one whole to another. I needed to remove 3 wires from their connectors. Again, maybe the loop could be broken from below, but this was not great. Otherwise needs a connector on those wires to break the loop.
- cable guides are all closed type. So I need to unscrew. Not a big deal, but ads time.
- some things looked like they should have been labeled but we're not. For example there is a nice legend for J11, J14, J15 (don't remember the other). But only one of them actually had the corresponding square.

Hopefully I took enough photos and labeled enough things to get it put back together tomorrow when I can get help moving it down.

IMG_20180228_165249 (resized).jpgIMG_20180228_165249 (resized).jpg

#1731 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I am officially in the club. #80 arrived today. Maybe the first intentional decapitation.

Congrats! As somebody who has very narrow doors and does this for every game, how the heck did you get your WOZ in seeing as it's a widebody? Bring it down on its side? Or do you remove the head to reduce weight carrying up stairs? Bummer about those three wires, I have a TNA #169 coming, but getting my doors widened next week so thankfully no more decapitating my games

#1732 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Unfortunately, not as easy as I hoped.

Shoot, I was hoping to do this too. WoZ was pretty easy and it made it way easier to get up the stairs.

#1733 6 years ago

That pic is crying for lighted speaker covers.
Hurry up Scott

#1734 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Congrats! As somebody who has very narrow doors and does this for every game, how the heck did you get your WOZ in seeing as it's a widebody?

My issue is actually more height than width (but kind of a combination). I need to make a small turn, with the heads on I cannot. WOZ was actually great once I took the head off. And I took WOZ down in 3 for the weight. The rails on WOZ make it awesome to remove the playfield.

If you look closely, you can see the WOZ dent. It was attempted with head on

IMG_20180228_174145 (resized).jpgIMG_20180228_174145 (resized).jpg

#1735 6 years ago

Get paid, get laid, Gatorade!!

IMG_20180228_183109.jpgIMG_20180228_183109.jpg

#1736 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Hopefully I took enough photos and labeled enough things to get it put back together tomorrow when I can get help moving it down.

Putting it back together was not bad. Colour coding makes things clear, they are grouped. Nothing very confusing. I still need to cleanup the wires back into the cable guides.

#1737 6 years ago

My TNA is ready for route. I'll be delivering it Saturday to Madcap Brew Co in Kent Ohio. Stop down if you want to try before you buy!

#1738 6 years ago

Anyone else having trouble with right flipper hold not being able to always resisting the kick out of the left scope? It will start to flutter. There is no EOS, which is how this is normally handled. Will increasing the flipper strength help?

#1739 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Anyone else having trouble with right flipper hold not being able to always resisting the kick out of the left scope? It will start to flutter. There is no EOS, which is how this is normally handled. Will increasing the flipper strength help?

Contact spooky.
They are aware of the issue.

#1740 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Yes

As Toads sais, contact Spooky.

Edit: to clarify, increasing Flipper strength wont make a difference. You can increase Flipper Hold Strength in the settings, which will work, but my experience is the coils will eventually overheat and become weak. Spooky are working on it.

#1741 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Mine was doing this but the latest code seemed to resolve it. Have you installed the latest update?

#1742 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Mine was doing this but the latest code seemed to resolve it. Have you installed the latest update?

Yes, I am on 1.1.0.02

#1743 6 years ago

Machine froze & rebooted on my when my Ball got over the rollover lanes into the reactor chamber when reactor 2 was active (so no special reason), wich was my first game on 1.1.0.02 . XD

Do you want a a log of that Scott?

#1744 6 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the 1.10.02 version is printed on the Software info on the LCD? I installed it but it only says 1.10, which doesn't seem right.

#1745 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Can anyone confirm if the 1.10.02 version is printed on the Software info on the LCD? I installed it but it only says 1.10, which doesn't seem right.

Yes, but only if you go into the test menus. The one on boot still says 1.1.0

#1746 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Machine froze & rebooted on my when my Ball got over the rollover lanes into the reactor chamber when reactor 2 was active (so no special reason), wich was my first game on 1.1.0.02 . XD
Do you want a a log of that Scott?

Yeah! Totally need to see that log file. If you guys are curious about pulling the crash reports off the game, you can simply just put a blank USB stick into the game and it will dump all the audits, settings, and log file. That log will have the crash reports in it.

Thanks!
--Scott

#1747 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Yes, I am on 1.1.0.02

Well I spoke too soon. My game did the wonky right flipper thing again. I'm not going to be able to do much more testing as the machine is going on route tomorrow. I'm sure I'll hear about it from my league players.

One suggestion for code is can you add a price on the screen? I like how dialed in just has the price on the screen so you don't have to mess with a pricing card. Just a suggestion

#1748 6 years ago

For some reason, the past couple of days, I can't unsee this.
20180303_093245 (resized).jpg20180303_093245 (resized).jpg
crop (resized).jpgcrop (resized).jpg
tempurpedic (resized).jpgtempurpedic (resized).jpg

#1749 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I noticed that too but was not thinking tempur pedic.

#1750 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The A in Tempur-pedic is much nicer than the A in TNA!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (Firm)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Other
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 210.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.