(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3335 (resized).JPEG
tna_29m (resized).png
IMG_5990 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9260 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9256 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3250 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3215(1) (resized).jpeg
IMG_7247 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,873 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 238.
#11651 3 months ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

I hosted family thanksgiving yesterday, and this is the first year hosting I’ve had my OG TNA. My family does not play pinball so I was expecting everyone to gravitate towards the other pins but no, everyone was running it back on TNA four player co op mode all night.
Last time I had a decent sized party I had a bunch of pinball people over and it was the same story.
Both times I asked the groups why TNA was their favorite and they all said the rules set is easy to understand but hard to execute, which is a huge draw.
TheNoTrashCougar you made an amazing game, and no matter the skill level it’s a clear hit.[quoted image]

I have the same experiences at mine - I just rented Deadpool and haven’t turned it on for almost a week. My local MP made it over , didn’t even understand what 4 player meant and just sat on the game for ages taking go after go
We didn’t bother explaining to him and let him play.
Simple and effective

#11652 3 months ago

My 6yr old niece had to be physically dragged away from TNA. She kept saying “one more game”.

#11653 3 months ago

Another Thanksgiving experience: family was OBSESSED with TNA over the other games by far.

#11654 3 months ago

Is there any way to get the old end of ball music with the new Beta code? The new one is good too, a bit more dramatic. Think overall i prefer the old version by a slight margin.

#11655 3 months ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Is there any way to get the old end of ball music with the new Beta code? The new one is good too, a bit more dramatic. Think overall i prefer the old version by a slight margin.

The end of ball music is the same on these versions. If you are talking about the bonus drop sound effects, I had to remaster these to clean up a bunch of distortion that was happening when powering the game with external amplifiers.
--Scott

#11656 3 months ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

The end of ball music is the same on these versions. If you are talking about the bonus drop sound effects, I had to remaster these to clean up a bunch of distortion that was happening when powering the game with external amplifiers.
--Scott

Oh okay. Yes I think I am referring to those sounds. Still sounds great Scott. Think I just got used to the old one. Caught me off guard a little. Thanks for all the continued support.

#11657 3 months ago

Played about fifty games on the beta code yesterday at the house party. Everything worked great on our end. Great work Scott.

#11658 3 months ago

P. S. A. - While troubleshooting my TNA for random issues with the lighting this weekend I noticed that when the pin was assembled, one of the ribbon cables was routed so it was actually in the path of a coil which when fired, was pinching the cable and doing damage (see attached pictures) and possibly shorting and causing these random lighting issues. You might want to check the routing of these ribbon cables on your TNA and re-route them if yours are like mine. I contacted Spooky support and as always they responded quickly and sent me a new cable to replace the damaged one. (Thanks A. J!)

IMG_0047 (resized).jpegIMG_0047 (resized).jpegIMG_0048 (resized).jpegIMG_0048 (resized).jpeg
#11659 3 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

one of the ribbon cables was routed so it was actually in the path of a coil which when fired, was pinching the cable and doing damage (see attached pictures)

Damn, good catch!

#11660 3 months ago

Howdy!

After five years of missing the heck out of this game I’m back in the club with a very nice original. Loving all the code enhancements!

Two questions:

1: The flippers are super droopy, which I kind of dig because it makes it nearly impossible to trap up and I can combo the living daylights out of the spinner… however I feel like my previous one was parallel with the guides. Which one is “correct”?

2: I’m getting some serious delay on the trough kicking out balls. This kind of eats up the ball save timer by a bunch of seconds, and also messes up multiball which is a bummer. Software is 1.5.0. Any tips?

Cheers!

DF76B0D6-C216-4386-BFA0-72FB170F56FE (resized).jpegDF76B0D6-C216-4386-BFA0-72FB170F56FE (resized).jpeg
#11661 3 months ago

Oh, and here are where they are presently aligned

4EA50CB1-6206-48F9-BEE5-FBEB74E6EC6D (resized).jpeg4EA50CB1-6206-48F9-BEE5-FBEB74E6EC6D (resized).jpeg
#11662 3 months ago

Flipper bats should be parallel with the inlane guides, but if you enjoy the difficulty of the game with them in their current position you could leave them there.

#11663 3 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Flipper bats should be parallel with the inlane guides, but if you enjoy the difficulty of the game with them in their current position you could leave them there.

Enjoy is a stretch haha. I’m putting them back, this game is hard enough as it is. Thank you!

#11664 3 months ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Howdy!
After five years of missing the heck out of this game I’m back in the club with a very nice original. Loving all the code enhancements!
Two questions:
1: The flippers are super droopy, which I kind of dig because it makes it nearly impossible to trap up and I can combo the living daylights out of the spinner… however I feel like my previous one was parallel with the guides. Which one is “correct”?
2: I’m getting some serious delay on the trough kicking out balls. This kind of eats up the ball save timer by a bunch of seconds, and also messes up multiball which is a bummer. Software is 1.5.0. Any tips?
Cheers!
[quoted image]

Multi-ball delay is by design, I believe. I do wish there was a grace period after the 10secs is up to make me feel better.

#11665 3 months ago
Quoted from ThatGuyBo:

Multi-ball delay is by design, I believe. I do wish there was a grace period after the 10secs is up to make me feel better.

I think he might have a ball kickout issue. GorillaBiscuits double check that the ball is not falling back in the trough when it kicks out.
--Scott

#11666 3 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Doug is correct. I know at Pinburgh, when they had TNA on the main stage, they drooped the flippers like this and also purposely gave it flipper hop by adjusting the lanes and flipper mechs. BRUTAL...

#11667 3 months ago

I think he might have a ball kickout issue. GorillaBiscuits double check that the ball is not falling back in the trough when it kicks out.
--Scott

Hey Scott.... yeah it seems like that may be happening. Raise trough eject power?

Also, I now feel like a beast after raising flipper angles back up haha.

Only other issue to tackle is one of the screws in the left flipper bushing snapped... phillips head isn't there... so it's a bit floppy. Guess I'll have to tap or drill it out.

#11668 3 months ago

Only other issue to tackle is one of the screws in the left flipper bushing snapped... phillips head isn't there... so it's a bit floppy. Guess I'll have to tap or drill it out.

You can usually pull the flipper plate and back it out from the back end on those screws. Either with a vise grip or by using a dremel to make a slot for a regular screwdriver.
They sit pretty proud on the bottom of the plate.

#11669 3 months ago

Hey, should I care about air balls? Mine hit the glass often enough. I don't really care though....unless I should. So that's the question. Does it matter or is it just annoying? (I personally don't find it annoying.) Just surprises me sometimes.

The only issue I ever have is a flying ball that rolls all the way down the left side into the outlane. But that's rare and I just laugh. Has anyone ever had glass break?

Great game Scott.

#11670 3 months ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Hey, should I care about air balls? Mine hit the glass often enough. I don't really care though....unless I should. So that's the question. Does it matter or is it just annoying? (I personally don't find it annoying.) Just surprises me sometimes.
The only issue I ever have is a flying ball that rolls all the way down the left side into the outlane. But that's rare and I just laugh. Has anyone ever had glass break?
Great game Scott.

I used to get those air balls rolling down the left to the outlane and it bugged me so I did this. Fixed it.

IMG_0055 (resized).jpegIMG_0055 (resized).jpeg
#11671 3 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I used to get those air balls rolling down the left to the outlane and it bugged me so I did this. Fixed it.
[quoted image]

Nice!
I’ve had the same happen a couple times

#11672 3 months ago

Howdy!
Two questions:
Cheers!
[quoted image]

Read my posts and my replies from Scott ….!!!

#11673 3 months ago

Hey Scott.... yeah it seems like that may be happening. Raise trough eject power?
Also, I now feel like a beast after raising flipper angles back up haha.

Remove nut on backside and take rest of bolt out that way

#11674 3 months ago

Well I for one am happy to have GorillaBiscuits in the club. Here is great song for all of us that have never destroyed reactor 9.

#11675 3 months ago

Not sure if it’s because I’m on the new beta code but since the install my drop targets will sometimes randomly reset in attract mode even though they were already all in the proper up position to begin with. By reset I mean target 1 will just drop followed by 2, then 3 then they all reset to the up position. This has not happened during gameplay and there is no error (no credit dot) so I’m a little confused (and relieved haha). I guess I’ll lift the table and see if the connector is loose or if something is off with the first target.

#11676 3 months ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Not sure if it’s because I’m on the new beta code but since the install my drop targets will sometimes randomly reset in attract mode even though they were already all in the proper up position to begin with. By reset I mean target 1 will just drop followed by 2, then 3 then they all reset to the up position. This has not happened during gameplay and there is no error (no credit dot) so I’m a little confused (and relieved haha). I guess I’ll lift the table and see if the connector is loose or if something is off with the first target.

You have switch errors. Check your drop switches.
--Scott

#11677 3 months ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Check the height of the Ball Guides in the Lock Area.
I chased this problem on my machine for a while and here, it turned out to be one of my ball guides sitting proud/high and breaking the opto path.

#11678 3 months ago

Thanks for all the tips all!

The trough kickout lag was easily fixed by adjusting kickout power back to factory (mine was very low). Got the busted screw out no problem as well.

Stoked to have such a great shooting example of this gem in my collection. Time to grab that new beta code (thanks Scott!) and blow some shit up!!!!

#11679 3 months ago

You have switch errors. Check your drop switches.
--Scott

Quoted from guitarded:

Check the height of the Ball Guides in the Lock Area.
I chased this problem on my machine for a while and here, it turned out to be one of my ball guides sitting proud/high and breaking the opto path.

Thank you both for your quick responses. I did inspect the switches and the drop target mechs and everything is very clean, no issues I can see. Everything is passing in test mode. So I removed the plastic and took a look at the ball guides and sure enough, the ball guide on the front left was a smidge higher than the others and appeared to be at least partially blocking the opto. I tapped it down ever so slightly and it is now even with the others and doesn't appear to be blocking the opto at all now. I think this was the issue...will leave the machine on all day and listen...

#11680 3 months ago

Yes I had the same issue. Adjusted the ball guide and no issues since. I am so happy to have this game in my collection. It’s destined to be an absolute classic. And maybe someday I will make it past reactor 5.

#11681 89 days ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Thank you both for your quick responses. I did inspect the switches and the drop target mechs and everything is very clean, no issues I can see. Everything is passing in test mode. So I removed the plastic and took a look at the ball guides and sure enough, the ball guide on the front left was a smidge higher than the others and appeared to be at least partially blocking the opto. I tapped it down ever so slightly and it is now even with the others and doesn't appear to be blocking the opto at all now. I think this was the issue...will leave the machine on all day and listen...

Just for my own knowledge, how did you go about making that adjustment? Do you have to losen anything under the playfield...or just it just push down?

#11682 89 days ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Just for my own knowledge, how did you go about making that adjustment? Do you have to losen anything under the playfield...or just it just push down?

I just took a small hammer and lightly tapped the guide down from the top side of the playfield. it needed like 1/32 of an inch, maybe 1/16, to clear the path of the opto. It took 4 mins, of which 3 and half minutes was removing/replacing the nuts from the playfield plastic.

#11683 89 days ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

I just took a small hammer and lightly tapped the guide down from the top side of the playfield. it needed like 1/32 of an inch, maybe 1/16, to clear the path of the opto. It took 4 mins, of which 3 and half minutes was removing/replacing the nuts from the playfield plastic.

oh ok just wanted to make sure I dont do any damage if I end up needing to make a similar adjustment. Is the post still firmly in place after the adjustment?

#11684 89 days ago
Quoted from falcon950:

oh ok just wanted to make sure I dont do any damage if I end up needing to make a similar adjustment. Is the post still firmly in place after the adjustment?

It should be, fingers crossed!

#11685 89 days ago

OK now that I'm fully dialed in, I'm convinced TNA is the Tetris of pinball: infinitely fun and re-playable and even better against opponents. It has aged like a fine cyberpunk wine.

In the past 5 years since I've owned it I've got really really into early 80's solid state games. Aside from the Beatles, TNA is the only modern interpretation of a single level game (well, that DOESN'T have an MSRP of 20k, sorry Bond!) I've played that captures the speed and magic of them... but it couples that vibe with the crazy fanfare and explosive buildups of 90's WPC games, like starting a multiball in Adam's Family for example... so, between that and the killer audio package, the flashing lights up top, the lock stealing, and that cursed pop bumper, you're basically constantly stoked!

Plus: holy balls, we are still getting code updates all these years later! Who fucking does that?

The crazy thing is I picked up Final Resistance the same week and I've hardly played it. Don't get me wrong, its absolutely stellar and a technological marvel and super duper fun to play... but since I never cleared reactor 9 I feel like I have unfinished business to address before I allow myself to REALLY sink my teeth into FR.

Anyhoo, carry on

#11686 89 days ago

So I was working on the three last target to destroy reactor three. I was aiming for the pop and missed, sending the ball through the orbit and the ball came down with this....

Sooo where does it go?

20231204_200525 (resized).jpg20231204_200525 (resized).jpg
#11687 89 days ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Can someone please post a fix for the becon light? Mine sounds like a rock tumbler.
I tried lubricating the gears as Bryan Kelly suggests, but I think there’s more to it.
Fixed: put super lube down the outside edge of the bulb socket. This kept the plastic reflector from rattling back and forth when spinning which is where the sound is coming from.

I need to try this!

#11688 84 days ago

Any tips for adjusting the switch gaps for the slings in the core? I have the gap adjuster tools. Seemed only doable to do from the bottom and not the top. I have gotten them better, but still not as sensitive as I’d like them.

Makes me wonder if just replacing them would be less time consuming.

#11689 84 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Any tips for adjusting the switch gaps for the slings in the core? I have the gap adjuster tools. Seemed only doable to do from the bottom and not the top. I have gotten them better, but still not as sensitive as I’d like them.
Makes me wonder if just replacing them would be less time consuming.

Yes adjust them from the bottom side. Replacing them would be much more time consuming, new switches need to be properly adjusted as well.

#11690 84 days ago

OK now that I'm fully dialed in, I'm convinced TNA is the Tetris of pinball: infinitely fun and re-playable and even better against opponents. It has aged like a fine cyberpunk wine.
In the past 5 years since I've owned it I've got really really into early 80's solid state games. Aside from the Beatles, TNA is the only modern interpretation of a single level game (well, that DOESN'T have an MSRP of 20k, sorry Bond!) I've played that captures the speed and magic of them... but it couples that vibe with the crazy fanfare and explosive buildups of 90's WPC games, like starting a multiball in Adam's Family for example... so, between that and the killer audio package, the flashing lights up top, the lock stealing, and that cursed pop bumper, you're basically constantly stoked!
Plus: holy balls, we are still getting code updates all these years later! Who fucking does that?
The crazy thing is I picked up Final Resistance the same week and I've hardly played it. Don't get me wrong, its absolutely stellar and a technological marvel and super duper fun to play... but since I never cleared reactor 9 I feel like I have unfinished business to address before I allow myself to REALLY sink my teeth into FR.
Anyhoo, carry on

Ignoring the price tag, TNA, Beatles, and Bond 60th pair so well together.

#11691 83 days ago

BKSOR pro, is a great (close to) 1 level game. I keep a stern Galaxy next to my TNA, and soon I want to get a meteor next to it as well.

IMG_6602 (resized).jpegIMG_6602 (resized).jpeg

#11692 83 days ago

Beatles, BKSOR pro and Bond 60th would be so sweet to have together with TNA. Could def. see that coming together someday

#11693 83 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

BKSOR pro, is a great (close to) 1 level game. I keep a stern meteor next to my TNA, and soon I want to get a meteor next to it as well.
[quoted image]

Kolk1 I love seeing photos of your game room. Love the carpet, black lights, and selection of pinball machines.

#11694 83 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Kolk1 I love seeing photos of your game room. Love the carpet, black lights, and selection of pinball machines.

lol thanks. You can follow regular updates at Kolks Pinball on Facebook. I just did a couple rugs in the hallway yesterday to extend the look a little bit. Added black lights in hallway, added an outlet in the ceiling of the laundry room to plug them into, so on. Picking up my NOS lost world playfield tomorrow from being clear coated!!!

IMG_6815 (resized).jpegIMG_6815 (resized).jpegimage000000 (resized).jpegimage000000 (resized).jpeg
#11695 83 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

lol thanks. You can follow regular updates at Kolks Pinball on Facebook. I just did a couple rugs in the hallway yesterday to extend the look a little bit. Added black lights in hallway, added an outlet in the ceiling of the laundry room to plug them into, so on. Picking up my NOS lost world playfield tomorrow from being clear coated!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing. What did you use to hang your playfields?

#11696 83 days ago

3/4 Canvas offset clips The normal sized playfields I can still slide in and out and rearrange if I want to.

IMG_6826 (resized).pngIMG_6826 (resized).png
#11697 83 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

BKSOR pro, is a great (close to) 1 level game. I keep a stern meteor next to my TNA, and soon I want to get a meteor next to it as well.
[quoted image]

I have a Meteor next to my TNA as well. What do you mean by “a meteor next to it as well”? A second one to go next your BKSOR?

#11698 83 days ago

Hhhhmmm single level games...

Here i have Gorgar, Orbit 1, Sunset Riders, Shark, Eight Ball Deluxe, Control Tower, Celts, Lost World, Take Five and of course TNA.

If you add the most basic evolution of ramps, put Sorcerer and Grand Lizard in there.

On the way i have Fathom Mermaid and the Centaur2 coming to replace the originals i sold.

Hoping to add Pulp Fiction soon as they come up second hand.

It's not that i have hundreds of games, it's just that this is where my love lies. Less than 30 in my collection, and probs half of them are basic games.

BasicPersonIGuesspunkin

#11699 83 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I have a Meteor next to my TNA as well. What do you mean by “a meteor next to it as well”? A second one to go next your BKSOR?

I have a Stern Galaxy next to TNA, and I want to get a meteor to put next to the galaxy. I messed up and said meteor twice lol

#11700 81 days ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

So I was working on the three last target to destroy reactor three. I was aiming for the pop and missed, sending the ball through the orbit and the ball came down with this....
Sooo where does it go?[quoted image]

..you probably found it by now - but here it is >
..If you still have it out - and would like to measure it for my notes = that would be cool (like center to center of the metal "posts" and then the height from end to top of the wire?..

I will ask TheNoTrashCougar = if he wouldn't mind posting the PBL part numbers for the ones used on TNA (so I can update the parts manual). Looks like there are 2 near the small flipper and then 4 long ones inside the ball lock areas..

564_plays (2)a (resized).jpg564_plays (2)a (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 210.00
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Other
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
There are 11,873 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 238.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/234 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.