(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thenotrashcougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

887 posts in this topic match your search for posts by thenotrashcougar. You are on page 1 of 4.
#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Anyone going to use cabinet protectors on this game? Does it need it? If so which do you recommend?

They come with metal leg protectors pre-installed from the factory.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I also ordered one the other day looks fantastic. I'm debating decals or butter cabinet.
Was curious if you're still working on code or LCD screen etc.
Will there be any side missions like hurry up shot or frenzy mode (maybe from the mystery award?) Not something that is seen all the time but maybe more now and then random that's outside of the core game?

Thank you! No frenzy mode planned at this time, but I am still working on the code and the display.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

can you say what percentage are ordering the butter cabinet?

No clue, but I am definitely getting it done.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Scott, is there any place on the LCD or on the instruction card that tells a short version of the story line? Please consider it if not.

I don't see why not. People will probably make new instruction cards and score cards too. I will see about putting something on the LCD.

1 month later
#230 6 years ago

Thanks to Joe Newhart from Pinballstar Amusements, I was able to attend the York show this year! It was awesome talking with you guys who made it out to the show. I appreciate all the feedback and excitement around the game.

Also another thank you to Joe for bringing his personal TNA to the show for all to enjoy. The game held up really well and I was able to see a few bugs that will be easy to fix in the next revision of the software. It is pretty cool being able to watch others enjoy the game.

Thank you again!

--Scott

#232 6 years ago

I know many of you have yet to received your games, but I have just posted the first production code update for TNA! I found a few bugs fromt eh York show this past weekend and wanted to make sure to squash them quickly. Below is the changelog in case you are curious what was fixed.

v1.0.3 - 10/1/2017 - Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
- Knocker coil strength did not go low enough
- Skeletongame framework update to fix issue with crashing after entering service mode during end of game
- Bonus multiplier lights refresh correctly now
- Left targets that light mystery award are now showing up correctly
- Fixed weird lighting behavior when bonus multiplier increased
- Double danger mystery award now cycles properly
- Fixed issue where match was not always flashing the numeric displays upon awarding
- Ballsave now activates at the proper time when awarded by mystery and start reactor is stacked along with mystery mode
- Failed ball lock attempts will no longer mess up the locking procedure under rare set of conditions
- Logging now shows errors only

## Features Added ##
- New bonus multiplier maxed vocal sample
- Bonus multiplier now shows on LCD when increased
- Drop target knockdown coil strengths added to service menu

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Z7YGvi_VT6aVdaU0lfcmhUREE

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Thanks Scott. Love it. Quick updates. Who would've ever thought.
Quick (probably stupid) question, will new games off the line be shipping with 1.0.3 or will an update be required out the box?

New games will be shipped with whatever version is the newest at the time the PC is flashed. The update process is also super simple. You download 1 file, put it on a USB stick, boot up the game and insert the USB drive into one of the open USB ports on the PC. It handles the rest.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Just curious, will there be anymore animations on the LCD? Kinda miss the spinning Nuclear reactor animation.

Right now, no, the animations that are in there are all new and actually drawn by Matt Andrews and animated by David Van Es. The spinney reactor thing was just a temporary placeholder thing that I got from the internet.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Does anyone know what the highest reactor reached has been on this game? I believe 5 is on any stream but I am curious if anyone has made it to any higher reactors off stream?

Reactor 7 has been started with glass on and default settings. It is just a matter of time now.

1 week later
#324 6 years ago

This is super cool news Russ! I am closely following along.

#332 6 years ago

A little birdy told me a code update was going to drop today! Hope it's for real!

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Awesome! I wonder if it will make the flash rate on the active player's score display faster, and maybe also make the GI lights pulsate when the ball is waiting for the player in the trough... Just sayin'.

My sources say that those are not going to be included in the code update, but these have been noted as possible enhancements. The player flash rate will likely not change, but lightshow updates will sprinkle out here and there.

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I'm just going off the videos I've seen, once I receive my game (#85 baby!) I'll feel it out in person.
Maybe the flash rate on the score could match the player's pulse! That would be amazing.

Now you are getting crazy!

This update that is coming is mostly a bug fix and enhancement update for our early operators. It's not a huge one, but it will be handy for them. I am so excited to see how many of these games are going straight to bars and arcades. It's pretty cool.

--Scott

#338 6 years ago

OK, code update is live!!!!

Changelog:
v1.0.5 – 10/20/2017 – Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
– Eject scoop ballsave now not active during multiball (this was a multiball exploit)
– Adjustments to pre-loaded assets for faster booting
– Added fix for stability issues when game is played consistently for 9+ hours
– Fixed display issue which would sometimes show a black screen when reactor is started

## Features Added / Modifications ##
– Burn in test added to the service menu
– Moved Coin Op audits to their own category
– Renamed ‘Games Started’ to ‘Rounds Started’ to make it less confusing
– Added Service credits functionality by pressing the exit button in attract mode or gameplay which
is tracked separately in the coin op audits.

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Z7YGvi_VT6bEtaeWhYMWttRGc

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Love that you're taking care of your game, Scott!

I will do my best to make sure people are happy with their purchases. Also, I like doing this stuff.

Sometimes I forget things like the service credit functionality. oops... Luckily, people are letting me know. haha.
--Scott

#348 6 years ago

Also, if you guys that have updated notice any bugs in the software, please let me know ASAP so I can look into it. You can use teh contact page on my website, or hit me up on here. Thank you so much!
--Scott

#357 6 years ago

Awesome to see these games rolling out! Just as a little update, I have added a small section to the bottom of www.tapinball.com to cover some common issues and solutions that have been reported to me from games in the field (Troubleshooting section). So far, nothing major! I am extremely happy with how these things are holding up.
--Scott

#365 6 years ago

HAHA! That is definitely my desk at work...

1 week later
#391 6 years ago

Total Nuclear Annihilation Meltdown Mirrors are now available through Pinball Life!

If you order and send them to Spooky Pinball before your TNA is assembled, they will install them in your game!

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4787
20171108_194943 (resized).jpg20171108_194943 (resized).jpg
20171108_194934 (resized).jpg20171108_194934 (resized).jpg
20171108_194955 (resized).jpg20171108_194955 (resized).jpg

#416 6 years ago

So last night Owlnonymous streamed his TNA on Twitch.tv with v1.0.6 beta code in it. It worked really well. I am planning on dropping that code update today. Changelog coming soon.
--Scott

#419 6 years ago

Hey Guys,
Here it is! This is a decent sized update for Total Nuclear Annihilation. Many bug fixes and new features were added. Please see the changelog below for a detailed list.

Changelog:

## Bugs Fixed ##
– Spelling error for Extra Ball Reactor settings in service menu fixed
– Fixed bug where ball could get stuck behind a drop target if multiball ends at the same time
the ball gets stuck.
– Fixed flipper hold booster level bug
– Bonus credits are not stored as service credits anymore
– Replay was auto-adjusting fixed type replays, this is now corrected
– Burn in properly shuts down when exiting service mode
– Base display blanking issues fixed
– Fixed extra ball numeric display glitch issue
– Fixed issue with orbits not lighting correctly all of the time on alternation
– Fixed Extra Ball percent calculation
– Fixed D Target when it would sometimes flash double the speed of the other Critical kill targets

– System Date/Time adjustment added to the Utilities menu in the service mode (for accurate timestamps)
– Core stand-up targets will max out reactor value if completed in order
– Shaker intensity setting added to service menu
– Massive shaker motor integration improvement
– Tilt debounce now more configurable and renamed to Tilt Bob Settle Time ms
– Added Total Coin Count to Audits
– Knocker now fires when extra ball is earned and configurable in service menu
– Bonus credits tracked separately in game audits
– Small lighting updates
– Added attract mode ball search timeout as to not unnecessarily heat up any coils if switches fail
– New Mystery Award – Light Locks only when locks are not lit
– Added initial support for interactive lighted speaker grills
– Jackpot point value displays immediately when Jackpot is earned
– Added support for failed or flaky drop target switches
– Short ball save added when reactor destroyed, can be turned off in service menu
– Secret Skillshot added (adds additional time on ballsaver and 40,000 points)
– Added shoot again text on the LCD, I forgot to add this originally

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I4VG2ghR9FV_cEW2jpNHspmJ_OWnMPwH

More info on how to update your machine on tapinball.com.

Thanks!
--Scott

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from hepgeek:

Is there midnight madness? The clock settings update made me think of it. I don't know why, but I love games with midnight madness. I've always wished TZ and TAF had them.

No Midnight Madness at this time. I can add it to my maybe list, but not really sure it would be worth the time it would take to program it.
--Scott

1 week later
#480 6 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Here's a vid we made that focuses on one of the cool features of TNA. I hope you enjoy it.
» YouTube video
I think it turned out well considering I'm still learning this editing stuff (Powerdirector 16)

That is super cool! It would be neat to see someone actually break down what is happening with the drop targets using a slow mo camera. There is a lot going on when a ball gets locked that it hard to see with the naked eye. That was not easy to program and make it as reliable as it is.

Thanks for the cool video!!!

--Scott

#526 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As I remeber it Scott said it loops after reactor 3.
But that was months ago so that might have changed.

That might have changed indeed.

1 week later
#609 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Anyone know how high the lock down bar of TNA is. Looks shorter in all photos. But by how much?

It's not shorter.

#665 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Embrace the variety! I like having a Stern beside a wedgehead beside Panthera. It’s nice to appreciate all the different cabinet designs over several decades. Don’t want my pinball collection to look like a shelf of DVD cases.

I agree, it is about 5 inches shorter on the back of the cabinet than a modern Stern. This is due to the glass angle being almost level with the playfield. The front of the game is the same standard height. Also the backbox is the same Spooky backbox in length width and height.
--Scott

#692 6 years ago

I would ask in the Alien thread, I have no clue how that is wired up. For TNA, you can just use a 1/8" headphone jack splitter and send that to RCA on the external sub. There is also something that some external subs have called high level input, which is just speaker level signal. You can connect the output of the amp in the machine to the external.
--Scott

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

So when does the beacon light up?
I played a friend's TNA recently and was focused so much on the playfield that I realized later that I never noticed the beacon start up.

Beacon is active when the reactor goes critical.

#708 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I played one last night for the first time. Very impressed. Gameplay and especially sound was awesome. The only thing I noticed is the right flipper seemed weaker than the left. I tried to look into the EOS switch and hmmmm traditional looking game up top, underneath not so much. Is there flipper strength settings? Also every now and then the right flipper had a mid stroke where it felt like the right flipper cut out.

Could be a number of things. I would recommend first looking for mechanical issues with the flipper and then adjusting the flipper strength in the service menu.
--Scott

#714 6 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

How does that work? Does it just time out after a couple seconds?

Would be nice if it was that easy.

#717 6 years ago

greenhornet that is definitely part of it. But just PWMing the flippers is not always enough. There needs to be a balance and configuration for this so you do not get the flipper buzzing that used to happen on older Stern machines. I had some fun screwing around with this and got it to a good point where the flippers do not overheat, but still have all the power and proper feeling that we are all used to.
--Scott

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Can you describe what happens when you're holding up the flipper and the ball comes down and hits it? Is the solution just to have the hold power strong enough to handle it?

Nice try Gary Stern! jk jk

#720 6 years ago

In all seriousness though, I have something in my service menu called Flipper Hold Boost. If the regular flipper hold power is not enough to overcome the ball velocity out of that left scoop, you can set this higher and it will add a PWM to the main along with the hold coil. On the programming side, the trick is finding frequencies that do not burn up the coil and remain decently quiet. But all of this is trade secrets, so don't tell anyone.

#722 6 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

For us newbies...PWM?

Pulse Width Modulation. I am basically just oscillating the pulse signal at a given frequency to give the flipper hold more power. Science stuff.

#727 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Quick question: #8 TNA butter coming next week with all the bells and whistles. Can’t wait. Played it in Dallas last year. What is the preferred degrees for set up? Same as others 6 to 7?

6.5 degrees on the playfield.

#752 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Are there plans to make the soundtrack available? (I can't tell if this is a joke).
I'd buy it digitally right now, and all I've heard is what I can barely hear from the streams and the few clips on thenotrashcougar 's soundcloud page.

Not a joke. Releasing it on cassette first and then it will be available digitally in mid to late Jan of 2018.
--Scott

#759 6 years ago

I just uploaded a beautiful wallpaper that Matt Andrews made for everyone featuring Scarlett from TNA. Check it out under the Misc section of tapinball.com. Hope you guys like it!
--Scott

#781 6 years ago

Service Menu Tests and Rubber Ring List have been uploaded to my website under the documentation section.

http://www.tapinball.com

Happy Holidays!

--Scott

1 week later
#790 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I've allready used 3 spare RGB LED's out of the goodie bag... Anyone else having a problem with the initial failure rate or am I just a bit unlucky?
Funny thing is, it's the green failing all 3 times and all around the upper right side of reactor chamber (one former star insert, one arrow and now the most upper Multiball-Lock insert). Will have a look on the wiring if this happens a again.

This was common with a few games that went out. There was a small bad batch of LEDs that the green channel failed on the chip at a max of 3% fail rate. This was way too high. This is not a board or a wiring issue. This has been resolved, but if you have a failed LED, you can either reflow the common leg with a hot soldering iron to bring them back to life or contact support to get an LED replacement. Not a huge deal since the game has modular direct drive LEDs, but really unfortunate for that LED chip manufacturer as a 3% fail rate on a specific channel is not acceptable. The goodie bag had some extra LEDs in it as well just in case this happened.
--Scott

#793 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Ah ok, thx for the info.
And big thanks for making the LEDs unplugable and not making me solder (while holding the cables and LED board on the lifted playfield)! (Had to do this on other machines and it was a nightmare.)

You are very welcome. I was thinking about the potential for LED failure over time and decided it was good to use connectors as LEDs do fail eventually. They just do not fail as fast as incandescent. Replacements will be up on the Pinball Life website soon as well. We will have replacement light boards, single GI, and single insert lights.
--Scott

#795 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Glad to hear they will be available at the best pinball parts supplier in the world. I have had a few fail and brought them all back to life except....the upper center of my reactor grid. I brought it back once and then replaced it with one of the loose bulbs you sent for me. It failed a day later. Suggestions on what to do next? Glad to hear the boards will be available. Getting close to 300 game on mine.

Nice! 300 plays is pretty good! We (Pinball Life) will send you a replacement 3x3 board with the new LED chips in it, just email me at [email protected]. Consider this a warranty replacement direct from the source.
--Scott

#797 6 years ago
Quoted from bitpatrol:

This is awesome. I have the AFMle and am concerned about bad batches of LEDs and their 3-led pod failing at once... like your green LEDs, so nice job making them plugable.

Thanks man. Yeah the whole system is modular. If something breaks, it can be replaced pretty easily. Also all the LED board in TNA have through hole LEDs on them. So with basic soldering tools, these boards can even be serviced. But it is probably easier just to replace if needed.
--Scott

#836 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Urgh... I think I pass... :-/

Coudn't they offer a (slow & uninsured but) 'cheap' shipping method?

Understandable. Pinball Life does not do that because we need to ensure the package get's to it's final destination otherwise we are at fault and have to replace items at our cost. The shipping system also rounds up to the nearest pound when calculating weight, but if there is a significant difference in what it costs to ship and what the customer paid, the difference will be refunded. Sorry.

These Cassettes will be at the Spooky and Double Danger booth at upcoming US shows. I also know that Double Danger has plans to sell a few of these in Europe. That may help as well.

--Scott

#839 6 years ago

No worries! The digital versions are coming to all the main services at the end of the month. This cassette is just giving people with cassette players early access to the music!!!
--Scott

#842 6 years ago

Public service announcement to clean your tape heads!
--Scott

#864 6 years ago

You guys need to make a trip to your local Goodwill and pick up a cassette player!

#873 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you were truly awesome, you'd provide a player too.

Great idea! I know an old pinball buddy that will give him one for free. He used to be an electrician and now he is retired and does pinball restorations. He takes a bunch of naps and is a super generous dude.

#883 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Actually I kinda thought about this from day 1. Not necessarily with a casette deck but It'd be nice to use TNA as a... uh, "loudspeaker" since it has richer sound than my actual stereo. XD
(Well should quieten down the power supply fan for that but else it'd be great.)

If you can hear the fan, your volume is way too low. But in all seriousness, this is a very reliable and affordable power supply for coil voltages. I wish we could have a fanless option, but I have not found one yet that I was happy with. Unfortunately, large high current transformers are a bit out of budget for this project. Honestly, the fan is not very loud on any of the TNA games that I have built or have. I wonder if there is something that is making your louder???
--Scott

#893 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well the fan is at least too loud (kinda high pitched noise) to leave the machine switched on while I'm working in the same room.
Took a little video (but the video in itself is not very loud ).
http://www.demolitionsquad.de/extras/flippermarkt/tna-fan.mp4
Maybe the power supply behaves differently on 230Volts.
But it's no biggie. If it really bugs me "maybe" I'll replace the fan.
Edit: Disclaimer: I'm not lamenting. I love my game!

That is extremely loud. Does it really sound like that in person? Or is the video making it sound way louder than it is?

#895 6 years ago

Yup, that is what I thought.... There IS a TNA tape in there!
dbed55de5c3d975b852493f7cd52c5c2de7f1dbd (resized).jpgdbed55de5c3d975b852493f7cd52c5c2de7f1dbd (resized).jpg

#914 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Does TNA use the same Meanwell SE-600-48 coil power supply that RZ uses? They do make a fanless version rated at 600W/48V, would it work as a quieter replacement?

Correct. Same power supply as Rob Zombie. It is a very solid power supply and I am super surprised to hear how loud this fan is. I have never heard anything like that.

Send me the part number of that Meanwell fanless supply. I know of 2 potential models, but they are 2x-4x the cost. Just curious what you found.

--Scott

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Folks with games in hand - does the PF have Scott's signature on it somewhere under the clear?
I had requested this multiple times and the recent interview with Scott on the Head 2 Head Pinball Podcast kind of made it sound like it might be there, but wasn't conclusive.

It's not there. It would be very hard to make this happen as I do not work at the Spooky facility.
--Scott

#963 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

So Scott how are those speaker grills coming along?

I did not design the speaker grills.

#971 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd like to see the side rail lights in person first.

Come on over!!

#973 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Does Charlie have them? We may be visiting him in a few weeks.

He does not yet. They actually look really good. I gotta hand it to Robert at Hooked on Pinball, he did a great job. I am also one who is not really into mods, so take that for what it is worth.

#981 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just ordered a set. They better look good. I may be old but you only weigh 105 pounds. I think I could take you.

I am pretty scrappy, watch out.

#982 6 years ago

OK guys, I just put up the new Accessory power supply for TNA up on the PBL website. Although this in not an official spooky sanctioned product, it will allow you to safely plug in mods to the game without touching the 12v or 5v supply on the game which reduces the risk of breaking something. It even has outputs that use the standard 3 pin Molex connectors that all modders are used to so you can plug in things like lit flipper buttons, etc. Please use responsibly.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4855

20151230_111345 (resized).jpg20151230_111345 (resized).jpg

#1015 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

TNA did have one major malfunction at INDISC. It was strange. The flippers stopped responding regularly. Basically, not all presses would flip, it was enter times where 3 seconds would pass without a flip. Screen animations of mystery also had dropped to a horrible framerate. Seemed to resolve after a reboot. Anyone seen anything like this?
Other than this appears to be holding up well, and playing crazy hard.

This is most likely caused from a loose serial cable on the cabinet Switch board located on the inside left of the cabinet. This could also be a bug in the software which I fixed in v1.0.7, which is unfortunately not out yet. Soon! you guys will not be disappointed.

--Scott

#1016 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Thank you Scott for reaching out to me on the other post and adding this addition as that helps out a lot for me when making the adapters for our kits for TNA. I have a customer taking delivery of his shortly and this makes things very plug and play. Excellent work as always!!!
Scott
Pin Stadium
http://www.pinstadium.com

Hey Scott,
This power supply is for a bunch of others who requested it as well. Nice job with PinStadium, but I definitely would not put it on TNA. This would water down the lighting effects that I worked very hard creating. Every GI and insert bulb in this game is individually computer controlled RGB and I do some really neat stuff with it.
--Scott

#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Ok, second problem. Display went to somewhat random letters in a game. Might be night after game to also display score on screen.
Guessing loose connection. But it is unfortunate in a tournament setting.

Oh no! I can definitely add score support for the LCD after the game is over in the next version for worst case scenarios like this. I wish I could see what happened to that display. I take it that it cleared up?

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Oh, had a really hefty bug/ glitch today:
Game sometines doesn't recognize it's in Multiball immediately.
Shot the Target down, got 3 Balls, then lost the first ball. Then game went into Multiball with the flippers dead with the ball still timer still running,...
....then it rebooted. XD

Wow! That is pretty bad, sorry. Can you send me your log file? All you need to do is put a blank usb into the PC and it will dump the audits, settings, and log file.

Edit: On second thought, this is most likely because your drop target down switches need to be adjusted.

#1032 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Yes its great that you added that 12v for us all and thank you I am glad you like the Pin Stadiums. As far as adding it on TNA, I promise to do you justice with this one and to work with your incredible light show as to not take away but to enhance it and what you are doing. I will work with it with the customer to get it nice and coherent to what you have done. We will be using the GI module so it will be safely reading signal from your lights to sync with them.
So basically your machine (you) will gain control of the Pin Stadium lights and the colors and brightness will be dial in via the wifi connectivity to the app by the user to their individual liking as to what they feel is the perfect contrast ratio to your design in their eyes. I am excited to get these on your machine and to see what is possible. I will keep you posted and stay in communication with you on this so that you can see it in action also. You've done an excellent job and it's an honor to be able to have worked with your machine on this level.
Scott
Pin Stadium
http://www.pinstadium.com

You should probably take this to PM as this system is 100% different than you are used to. If you are using relays in your GI module to sense the lamp patterns, you are going to have a bad time as it will PWM the relay until it self destructs. If you are using transistors, I would be cautious about combining the power supplies or backfeeding any current and taking out PCBs. Any draw from the GI bulbs will make the bulbs in TNA not function correctly. This type of thing is definitely not supported by spooky and will void your customers warranty. I am not saying it is impossible, I am just warning you to test this before you send anything to a customer.

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I have a blurry cell video I can upload when I get back home next week, but I think Jim said they were recording all day and will share footage with you after the tournament.
After reboot the display came back. Unfortunately, it did the scrolling '8' attract instead of showing last score.

OOO, that is a good idea. Right now it just goes into a test mode, but I can make it pull the last scores in!

--Scott

#1053 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

One more suggestion based on finals today. There was a danger through. It would be nice if the odds of that were low. Presumably not counting dangers in the shooter lane for a few seconds should stop this.
Now that I think about it, I think I danger throughed myself in a single player game.

I have addressed this in the code today!

#1076 6 years ago

OK, I have given this tilt thing a bunch of thought. This is what I am going to go with. Warnings and tilt hits will not be triggered if the bonus count has been started. I will put in a buffer of x seconds to ignore the tilt bob when the next player (or same) is up to minimize tilt throughs. This will be adjustable in the service menu and can be disabled. So if you rage tilt through with this logic, that is on you. I cannot have the tilt ignored when the ball is in the shooter lane for obvious reasons.
--Scott

#1106 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I would assume it ignores the last digit for the match . meaning 30 on the match display would give a credit for games ending in 31, 32 ,33 ,etc. seems like this would be the easiest way to do it .

This is correct. Match ignores the last digit.

#1112 6 years ago
Quoted from Owlnonymous:

Total Nuclear Annihilation - 2,124,534 (1.07 Beta 4 Code): » YouTube video
Join me for a game on brand new beta code 1.07 B4 for Total Nuclear Annihilation, where we destroy reactor 4. The full stream, which includes a dirty pool, a few new super jackpot add-a-balls, and few other fun highlights, can be found on my Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/219636741

That was a ton of fun watching last night, thanks again for doing that. I know the setup was not easy, but damn, it looked cool. I was able to identify a few small issues that still needed to be fixed in this version of the code before releasing it as well!

The dirty pool thing was really cool to see. I am going to add a special callout for when this happens. You can get it by slamming a ball back into the lock right as multiball starts, it will get trapped by the drops resetting and then it will attempt to release it. Hit it again and it will go into the scoop for a dirty pool super jackpot and add-a-ball! This happened last night when a ball hung up on one of the downed drop targets and you were able to get it back in the scoop. Very cool.

It was nice to see all the hard work I did on the ball lock logic actually working to keep the game moving.

Friday, we will be streaming this version of the code again, with the issues fixed on the Dead Flip twitch channel after the TWIPY Awards. See you guys there!

Edit: yes, the Dead Flip stream will be after the TWIPY awards.

#1141 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Have any of you looked into making the beacon brighter? Granted, I haven't played in a darkened room yet, but I don't even notice it's running unless I purposefully look up at it.

I looked at side firing 12v LEDs for this, but anything worthwhile was very expensive. Currently there is a standard 89 bulb in it. If anyone finds any good 12v side firing LEDs that work, definitely let me know. The 89 is pretty bright from the factory though.
--Scott

#1183 6 years ago

Hey Everyone,
By popular demand, I just posted the digital FLAC files for the full TNA album on my site. The album will be released for free on all the streaming platforms on Friday January 26th. More info here:

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1031

TNAAlbumThumbnailSmall (resized).jpgTNAAlbumThumbnailSmall (resized).jpg

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Also when on location don't drop quarters until past that screen. I donated fifty cents to learn that.

This has been fixed too.

#1204 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would suggest they do not! Going to a smaller runner was a suggestion for on route where a stuck ball under a sling means time wasted for Tommy and the game not earning while the ball is stuck.
The stuck ball under the sling is very rare and in a home environment is not a big deal since you just take off the glass and pull the ball
The risk of a smaller ring is that it will break and it does give the game different action and require readjusting the sling switches. i do NOT think going down a sling size is needed nor would I recommend to home users.
Reality is that the game is FAST and chaotic during multiball. With that equation, balls are going to go under slings. The game will slow down slightly for Tommy after a few hundred plays and likelyhood goes down.

Backing the sling power down to 6 helps this completely.

#1221 6 years ago

Amazon just got it! Still waiting on Google...

Thanks again for all the support guys/gals!

--Scott

#1223 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Just curious, how do these streaming music services work for artists? Do you get paid per play, or something like that?
I see the single to purchase on Amazon, but I can't find it to stream. I did purchase the FLAC version, but if streaming it benefits Scott at all, I'm willing to do that when possible.

I get paid a little. A VERY small amount, but it is just cool having the music out there. I get paid way less than a penny for every time it is streamed. After the streaming sites, get their cut, my distribution company gets their cut, and BMI gets their cut, I get the scraps. But it is all good! The only way I make anything is if people buy the FLAC files direct from my website, which people have, and I am ever grateful.
--Scott

#1264 6 years ago

All the software issues mentioned have been addressed in v1.1.0 which will be released pretty soon. I am just trying to chase a few more issues before I release it.
--Scott

#1303 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

nice, looking forward to TNA kicking my arse. the more new streams and gameplay videos I watch the more I think 'oh shit, what did I get myself in for' I do feel a couple sick days coming once it arrives though.. cough cough.. oh wait too soon, I'm #95

Wait until the new code update v1.1.0 drops... muhahaha!
--Scott

#1313 6 years ago

Yeah, I am not starting a new game yet. I have ideas in my head, but right now, need to make TNA as perfect as it can be. I know that sounds like a cop out and corny thing to say, but I am really dedicated to making sure the people that put their trust in Spooky and myself are happy with their purchase.
--Scott

#1362 6 years ago

Its hard to see from the video what actually happens when you beat the 9th reactor. Also, that is old code.

#1366 6 years ago

He didn't describe anything. No worries man.

#1394 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

What am I missing?! I’m trying to update to v1.0.6 after downloading the update file. Copied it to a USB thumb drive, booted the machine, inserted the USB into an empty slot behind the back glass and nothing. Tried booting with the USB already inserted, nothing. Tried inserting the USB while booting and nothing.
Is my USB thumb drive too big? 8GB. Wrong format? FAT32. Is it the wrong day of the week? Thursday. I kept the original file name tna-gamecode.pkg
Cheers!

Try a different USB stick. This seems to be the first issue I have seen with someone trying to update code.

Are you getting anything on the screen at all with the game booted and inserting the USB stick? If not, the USB stick is not being read at all. Try a different one. If it shows the Spooky logo and says that the settings and audits were backed up, that just means it could not find the pkg file.

--Scott

#1414 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Cheers Scott the issue was the particular USB key, used a new one and it was fine.

Excellent! Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Now you just need to wait for the 1.1.0 code to drop. I wish the TNA software guy would hurry up.

#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

I have an issue with the game.
The time it takes for one game to finish and ready to start a new game is about 5 seconds.
Way too long
Scott, get on to that will you
The impact of the bass kicking in when the ball hits the playfield is fantastic.

This has been addressed in v1.1.0

#1445 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Where can I download 1.10 already? That software guy is slow

Seriously... Where's the damn code already????

#1461 6 years ago

Hey Guys,
The display is purposely supposed to look gritty, and glitchy. I was also trying to make it look like it was on a CRT and we (David Van Es and I) were having some fun. The monitor itself outputs at 1366x768, but the animations are smaller than that and up-scaled to get that look.

As for the monitor adjustments, there is something called Gamma in the adjustments, that when turned on, will make the contract ratio better. I recommend that.

Also there was a question about the audio. The monitor does have a pre-amp volume setting in it. I have been playing around a bunch with mine and I turned it down to 10 on the monitor which seemed to give it a better range. I then turn my amp all the way down to prepare for adjustment. Then go into music test with the volume up to 11 and start slowly turning the amp up to where it is loud, but not clipping or cutting out. The sub volume knob will be pretty low. Also, the Bass knob should be almost all the way down as that is for the upper speakers, those should be set to output all of the mids and highs.

Honestly, though, don't mess with the amp from the factory settings as it is tough to tune, which is why it is hidden away.

I hope my ramblings makes sense, I have not had enough coffee today yet.

--Scott

#1468 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

thenotrashcougar I believe I may have just found a uniquely Canadian bug in the SW.
Trying to setup the coins so left is $1 (Cdn "Loonie"), and the right is $2 (Cdn "Toonie").
Coins per Credit: 1
Left coin value: 1
Right coin value: 2
But it only gives one credit when I put either the left side $1 coin in (correct), or the right side $2 coin in (should be 2 credits).
I ran the switch test (after muttering something about "inspected by Charlie" lol) but they both register as unique switches as they should (sorry Charlie!).
Be great if this could be fixed soon as this machine will be on location next weekend and $2 coins are very common here.

Oh no! Looks like you have that set correctly for what you want. I will look at it tonight and see what is going on. Thanks for the heads up.
--Scott

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

thenotrashcougar I believe I may have just found a uniquely Canadian bug in the SW.
Trying to setup the coins so left is $1 (Cdn "Loonie"), and the right is $2 (Cdn "Toonie").
Coins per Credit: 1
Left coin value: 1
Right coin value: 2
But it only gives one credit when I put either the left side $1 coin in (correct), or the right side $2 coin in (should be 2 credits).
I ran the switch test (after muttering something about "inspected by Charlie" lol) but they both register as unique switches as they should (sorry Charlie!).
Be great if this could be fixed soon as this machine will be on location next weekend and $2 coins are very common here.

OK, found this in the code... Yep, I totally missed that and it was completely my fault. Great catch, it will function properly in 1.1.0 for you. This means I now need to make sure that 1.1.0 gets out quickly.
--Scott

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Anyone know if TNA uses any fuses, and if so, what types/sizes?

4amp Slow Blow 20mm Fuses. 4 of them per game. There is also a 1-1/4" 8amp fast blow fuse under the Bryan Kelly approved blue plastic housing on the power switch.

You can get the fuses from PBL here:
20mm Slow Blow: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1580
1-1/4" Fast Blow: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3888

--Scott

#1498 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Where are the 4 amp fuses. Two on the board in the back box, but where are the other 2?

There are 2 fuses on each of the 2 PD-16 Boards in the backbox.
--Scott

#1502 6 years ago

SHHHHH, people don't have that version of the software yet... That is a beta version...

#1562 6 years ago

Here it is guys and gals. v1.1.0!

Changelog:
v1.1.0 – 02/21/2018 – Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
– Fixed issue with attract frames loading 2 times on reset. This will slightly speed up the
game over reset process. Still working on making this faster. Michael Ocean is awesome.
– Fixed small video lag at beginning of first ball in the Welcome to the Future animation.
– Removed log file issues with bonus and PNG headers (not anything anyone cares about besides me)
– Significant video performance enhancements.
– Fixed bugs in Ball Search functionality.
– Fixed hard crash when trying to do a quick restart during the bonus count.
– Fixed bug where angry player can tilt out the next player too easily.
– Cleaned up unnecessary Ballsearch log error.
– Fixed Secret Skillshot exploit.
– Fixed attract mode ballsearch so it will not keep cycling if a player is too impatient for the balls to reset and drain.
– Fixed log error when saving data files to disk.
– Fixed tilt issue where prior player tilts after bonus.
– Jackpot lightshows improved.
– Shaker now enabled and disabled properly without machine restart.
– Shaker issue when starting mystery now disables properly.
– Destroy Reactor ballsave now active when multiball is running as well.
– Fixed Avg Ball Time Calculation.
– Fixed Avg Score Calculation.
– Fixed Avg Game Time Calculation.
– Changed Coin Drop notification font.
– Updated drop target handling logic to prevent balls from getting stuck in right scoop under specific conditions.
– Fixed some other misc font issues.
– Fixed flickering GI when lane changing the skillshot.
– Fixed coin drop issue for coins with a value larger than a single credit.

– Significant changes to asset loading resulting is quicker boot times
– Super jackpot will now add a ball into play for up to a 4 ball multiball! This also enables up to 4x playfield multipliers. Indicated with white colored flashing ball lock inserts.
– Add A Ball is limited to 1 ball added per multiball.
– Destroyed reactors now score 1 point each to store the player’s progress in the last digit of their score. Match will ignore this last digit and treat it like a 0. For example, if a player earns 100,000 points and destroys 2 reactors their score would be 100,002.
– Reworking of display animations and notifications to clean up a bunch of things.
– Lock Quickshot display and scoring updates.
– Skillshot now displays score values when awarded.
– Adjusted orbit timer from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
– Set default coil power settings to Bryan Kelly recommended settings, so you may want to update these after the update.
– Bonus now includes bonus total at end of bonus count. Also new lightshow and sound for that.
– Remastered music from the Total Nuclear Annihilation Album has been updated on the game. Also other various audio has been remastered throughout the game.
– Last game scores are now saved and recalled after a hard reboot of the game on the numeric displays. This was needed in case there was a display error that requires a machine restart so the scores are preserved.
– Locking a ball now awards 20k points.
– All LED test now can stop on specific colors when pressing the enter or start button.
– Jackpot Drop Reset Seconds is now configurable in the service menu.
– Secret Skillshot now awards a default time ball save, but allows multiple saves for the entire save time. Awesome.
– Add A Ball now enables default multiball ballsave.
– Reduced overall RAM usage of PC significantly.
– Early ball save added for cashing in a ball save on an outlane.
– Added drop target test in service mode.
– Added warning message on the display if drop target error is detected by the system.
– Added Free Game Percent to Coin Op Audits.
– Upper rollovers now advance reactor value and award a reactor shot when started.
– Added a few things to Mystery Mode
– New Tilt warning sound. Replaced the public domain missile siren with custom effect.
– Mystery awards are now stackable, meaning you can light mystery more than once and the game will keep track of it for you and you can cash it is by hitting the scoop multiple times.
– Ball save timer setting added to the add-a-ball ball save (separate from the standard ball save).
– Reactor Keypad now more evenly distributes spotted targets when targeting a new reactor.
– Ball saver will now pause for mystery award and reactor starting.
– Replay award can be selectable between Credit or Extra Ball.
– Multiball ball saver will now only save the first 3 balls drained.
– Reactor inserts now glow Orange when targeted indicating Extra Ball when applicable
– Tilt switch sensitivity added to service menu.
– Last scores now show on the LCD after game over.
– Can now scroll through the individual high score categories in attract mode.
– Music Test now tests ALL reactors.

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HjwHSLOZ_19j1hv0srQBjvt4VoFWWyk0

#1579 6 years ago

Hey Guys,
I am a bit unconventional with this, but a couple small issues have been reported to me on a few machines. I did not want you guys to encounter these little things, so I made a patch to the 1.1.0 code. I am calling it 1.1.0.02, because... it does not matter what I call it.

The download link is the same for this patched version, just re-download the file if you are seeing any of the 2 issues below and this should fix them right up for you.

I will probably do this again in the future if a bug is discovered that I feel needs to be fixed quickly.

#########################################################################
v1.1.0.02 - 02/22/2018 - Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
- Fixed false trough error on some production machines.
- Updated combo handling to get rid of a potential lag scenario.

- None

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HjwHSLOZ_19j1hv0srQBjvt4VoFWWyk0

#########################################################################

#1581 6 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Could you describe how this manifests itself? I think I'm battling this right this minute. Is the machine periodically ejecting a ball in attract mode?

That is strange. Are any error messages getting thrown on the LCD when it kicks a ball out in attract mode?

My first guess would be a potential flaky jam opto. Make sure those are all working in switch test.

--Scott

#1589 6 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Scott (TheNoTrashCougar) if we haven't installed the new code should we install 1.1.0.02 instead of 1.1 or only if we have that issue?

I would re-download and install the 1.1.0.02 version from the link below as I also fixed a small video performance issue.
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=783

Quoted from dri:

Is there a tournament mode on TNA? No EBs and sequenced mystery awards? I couldn't find it when I stepped through the menus...

No, there is not a tournament setting. Most people just disable extra balls and turn down the ball save timer. The mystery awards are pretty fair. I may consider this in the future though.

Quoted from moonduckie78:

I find updating the code on a pinball machine to be quite exciting.
Please save a few tweaks for a rainy day, Scott, so those of us who won't have TNA for a while (#153 here) can still experience the joy of updating!!!

I have ideas...

#1591 6 years ago
Quoted from onceler:

You probably could also eject any unused multi-balls on a player change to keep which should allow multi-player tournament games.

I know, I know, that just disappoints me greatly. If player leaves a ball or two in the lock at the end of their ball, it is their fault. I will probably have to add the dump logic though.

#1626 6 years ago

I do not recommend screwing with your amp settings...... ....but.....

If your amp settings get screwed up, this is what I would do. Do this at your own risk as this has the potential to damage your amp and/or speakers if set too high. But please do not do this unless your amp settings get totally out of wack. Warning, this setup procedure is going to be loud, so warn the people around you.

Step 1: With the game on, take the backglass out and press the volume up or down button on the back of the LCD and bring the pre-amp volume down to 11. It will show on the screen. This is probably set high from the factory, but I found reducing this made the audio quality slightly better.
Step 2: Put the backglass back in.
Step 3: Turn every knob on your amp all the way down until it stops.
Step 4: Go to Music Test in the service menu and select reactor 3 by pressing the start button a few times.
Step 5: On the coin door, press the volume up button until it reaches 11.
Step 6: On the amp, turn the second knob from the left (sub crossover) up about 1/8 turn.
Step 7: On the amp, turn the treble just past half way up.
Step 8: On the amp turn the Bass knob up about 1/8 turn. Keep this low as this is controlling the bass output to the upper speakers and could damage them or the amp if set too high.

Here is where it is going to get loud...

Step 9: On the amp, turn up the sub volume very slowly until just before you hear a bit of distortion. This will be pretty loud.
Step 10: On the amp, turn up the Volume knob slowly until before you hear distortion or you feel that is the loudest you would ever have the machine. This is also the time where adjusting the treble up or down should be done.

Important note! If the amp cuts out during any of these last 2 steps, you went too high with the volume and/or Bass knob. Bring these back down so the amp does not cut out as this could damage it.

Step 11: On the coin door, turn down the volume back to a reasonable level and enjoy.

Again, please do this at your own risk. You can damage your amp and/or speakers messing with this stuff. I am not an expert audiophile or whatever it is called, I am just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous here. Don't blame me or Charlie if you break something.

Let me know if anyone has any better suggestions.

--Scott

#1647 6 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Anyone had an issue with some digits going out on the player scores? Got a report that the TNA we look after on location had player 3 display only showing two digits. Haven’t had a chance to go check it out yet, but thought I’d toss it out here if this is a known issue.

Edit: looks like it’s fixed, needed a power cycle and it was fine. Will keep an eye on this one.

You need to update your code fine sir.
--Scott

#1648 6 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

Cool thanks trilogybeer I got it working. But now I have the balls ejecting during attract mode. Everything was working fine before the update.....

Check your Jam opto in switch test.

#1684 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

(except the volume knob, that's the one on the far right. put that about half way to start; otherwise you'll get no sound at all.)

Yes, there will be so sound at all coming from the upper speakers at this point. You need to adjust the sub first.

The procedure worked great for the new code (v1.1.0.02)! Sounds much cleaner and balanced now.

Excellent!

--Scott

#1688 6 years ago

Oh man, sorry you had to deal with that guys. These panels were physically damaged. Deez your new replacement panel has been tested and shipped out today!

#1691 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Plus, Scott gave us the 7 segment displays. Even without the LCD, we still have (had) scoring.

The LCD was not originally going to be in the game, but I found it easier to just put it in there for service mode and other stuff. It is not critical to the gameplay.

#1722 6 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Scott, what is the voltage of the GI on this game? Is it a 6 volt power source I can access for a mod?
If not, I plan on having a standalone 12volt source in the cab so will use a voltage adapter from that.

The GI does not run the same way as on other games. These are all individually controlled LEDs. You cannot tap power from them. I would also avoid tapping into the 12v or 5v lines of this game for mods as it is pretty taxed as is. The Accessory power supply that we carry at Pinball Life for TNA provides tons of safe power for mods though.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4855

--Scott

#1746 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Machine froze & rebooted on my when my Ball got over the rollover lanes into the reactor chamber when reactor 2 was active (so no special reason), wich was my first game on 1.1.0.02 . XD
Do you want a a log of that Scott?

Yeah! Totally need to see that log file. If you guys are curious about pulling the crash reports off the game, you can simply just put a blank USB stick into the game and it will dump all the audits, settings, and log file. That log will have the crash reports in it.

Thanks!
--Scott

#1764 6 years ago

I think he is talking about when the reactor is not started. You can open the core entrance on either side by rolling over an inlane switch and the orbit will light for a few seconds on the opposite side. So you need to make a quick shot to the orbit and it will trap and drop the ball into the core.
--Scott

#1773 6 years ago

There is a factory reset in the service menu that will reset the high scores and audits for you. I am embarrassed to admit, I think I just did not think about adding a high score reset option to the service menu... oops.. I will get it in the next release.
--Scott

#1784 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I have to give an honest update.
I'm sitting here next to my TNA in test mode, listening to the music (with the update all reactor songs are available) loving it...
...but I really suck at playing it (or maybe pinball as a whole).
Max I got to was reactor 4. :-/
(That said I really have to admit that it's my own sucking, I never ever felt that I lost the ball without my own fault... wich is quite different to Ghostbusters for instance.)
I think I'll up to 5 Balls.
Dear Scott for your next game (if ever):
I love your music, I love Matt Andews Art (finally something else), I love the theme (I love 80's and Sythwave) but next time PLZ keepo everything of that but do something... uh... more 'flowy'/ easy. (For me Sterns Star Trek is the best game ever made, because altough I can never finish it there's this ultra rewarding.shootdown of the Vengeance and a Mini Wizard Mode after a couple of missions.)
For me TNA and JM are the best games ever made, but ST the most rewarding.
I sincerely hope for more cyberpunk games (Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner... anyone knows 'Shadowrun'?) but till then and for the coming months I try to do what Seve Ritchie says:
"Play better!"

There is something in the works for TNA that I think you might like.

Quoted from brenna98:

Is there a way to get the knocker to crack when getting a high score?
I really like the triple knock of a classic Bally when you get high score to date.

I will add that to my list.
--Scott

#1796 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

you think about putting a smaller woofer in there?
maybe one of the paper ones from stern, or even just a regular basic paper car speaker (like 4 1/2 inches).
the low's probably won't be as deep & without vibration, all the other sounds should be pretty much the same. just not as much air being moved.

Or block the ports in the bottom of the cab...

#1800 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

To give you some serious advice, you're just going to have to turn off the sub because that bass drop at the end of the ball kicks ass at any volume level! This is the thin knob on the amp closest to the coin door which controls the sub volume. Then maybe you can adjust a little more bass into the head speakers so it still sounds somewhat OK.. This will stop the booming bass at the end of the ball and scott doesn't need to adjust the game for one person.

This could work, but please be careful if you turn the bass up too high on the upper speakers as this can easily overdrive the amplifier if you do not know what you are doing. I posted a while back about how to properly adjust your amp if it gets screwy. But I still say officially, do not change your amp settings.
--Scott

#1811 6 years ago

Anyone else's game freezing up? It's probably a software thing that I can fix. I have had 2 reports of it so far. I think I know what could be causing it with v1.1.0.

The reactor display being out looks like the 2 ribbon cables for the display are swapped.

#1854 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Not yet to my knowledge. I have one on Long Island. 45 minute drive/train ride. Having some people over to play on Friday night if you want to come join. Send me a Pm and I’ll give you the address.

Friendly pinball community for the win!

#1856 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Any thoughts on general longevity for the casual player?
I've been drifting more and more away from the toy- and gimmick- filled games. And I generally don't like deep rulesets. Hated AC/DC for that reason.

I still play mine if that counts for anything.
--Scott

#1957 6 years ago

It is one of the PD-LED board (green LED controller boards under the playfield) having a flaky power connection. Need to make sure the 2 pin power connector is seated properly and the wires seated properly in the IDC connector. Nothing serious.
--Scott

Addition info: you can trace back from one of the stuck LEDs to find the driver that is getting a flaky power connection.

#2005 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Scott... curious, would it be hard or too time consuming to add in a feature?
If possible I’d like to add music audio files to the sound track , just for the main song... I’d like to keep the existing soundtrack, but add songs that could be mixed in at random for the main song that plays.
I don’t know what the file structure looks like, but maybe have a separate folder that just has the main game title in it and add songs to it that the system would mix in, in a random order.
I would love to have this please, if not too time-consuming to incorporate .

Hey man,
This would be very time consuming for me and really would not work out as nice as you think. There is complex sound logic having to do with my shooter lane groove and the BPM of each track. This is one of the reasons the bass drop after shooting the ball sounds so good, it is in time with the music and not just randomly started once the ball is launched. Sorry man.
--Scott

#2008 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

What?! You mean you can't change software to the whim of every pinsider?! GOOD DAY SIR. I SAID, GOOD DAY!

I wish I could, but then I would never get anything done and TNA would be a cluster of ideas that made no sense as a whole. If something is suggested that fits into the overall vision I had for TNA, then I may add it, but I hope you guys understand that most suggestions will not be. I am definitely not offended by people suggesting things, but please don't be offended if I do not add it.

Also, I fucking love that Willy Wonka reference, I use it all the time and only about 30% of people get it.

--Scott

#2049 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I get what you’re saying and I have MAD respect for you and Scott, but GET off it! I wanted to add (outrun style) music from bandcamp that would mix perfectly that I would professionally mix in with the soundtrack, not just add in some Rush or whatever, it would be something I would share with whoever wanted it. I haven’t had time to discern that the mix was directly coded into the game, it’s always sounded as if there was a replaceable soundtrack. I don’t want to replace the great soundtrack... I think what Scott has done here is awesome, I’m not trying to stomp on it or be rude. I was requesting something that I thought would be a fun project I could add in to the game later on a forum where I thought it might be appropriate among peers and TNAs creator.
Scott, my apologies for any frustration.
Aurich, if you have a problem.. you’re always welcome to PM me

I am not frustrated don't worry. I am just working on a million things at once.
--Scott

#2052 6 years ago

I love all you guys and hate all you guys at the same time.

#2057 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Well, if you’d just upload the new code let’s say...tonight, that’d be one less thing on your plate Scott.

You don't want the current state code right now. I am currently working on it.

#2059 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Don't drop your laptop in the hot tub.

I will try not to this time.

#2107 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I've had two NIB. Hobbit needed no adjustments and SW premium had one loose connector to an opto that needed a little push. So, springs, weather stripping, and multiple speaker adjustments seems like a lot to me for a NIB. Not starting an argument, just letting you know where I'm coming from.

You should be all good. The springs have been addressed a while ago.

--Scott

#2109 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Hardest part was getting the side rails off. You can connect it to an open power spot. Mine has the shaker and knocker too.
Only question I have is will I have a spot for the lighted grills.

These lighted side rails run on the 48v Output of the power distribution board on the game. There are 2 open ports for mods. You will be able to plug in the Accessory Power Supply from Pinball Life AND these side rails. The lighted grills plug directly to the driver boards in the backbox. You are all good.
--Scott

#2146 6 years ago

Hey Everyone,
Owlnonymous is streaming TNA right now. This is the latest beta code with all the co op modes and bug fixes in it. Will we see reactor 9 tonight?

https://www.twitch.tv/owlnonymous

If this code looks good, it will post the release ASAP!

--Scott

#2174 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I added a 4th ball, and the game is playing fine. All scoops are empty. This AM I looked around all the slings and didn't see a ball hiding.
LOL. How can an entire pinball be missing!! I will keep looking around for it.

It's not in the cab? CrazY!

#2203 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, none of those coils are firing which I didn't realize before. All of the wires seem very intact with some pretty generous tugging. Where to look next?

First go to coil test in the service mode and see if the coils fire. If they do not, check fuses, then check for shorts. If they do, then go into switch test and check the switches. If switches do not work, follow the wires back from them and see if there are any issues.

--Scott

#2205 6 years ago

Hey Guys,
Co Op Mode is ready! I just posted the latest software on my site for you guys to download.

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1388

Here is the changelog:

v1.2.0.00 – 04/08/2018 – Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
– Quickshot video lag issue fixed.
– Adjusted debounce on top CORE rollovers, now will not miss hits off the upper flipper
– Fix for stuck 4x multiplier in multiball
– Lightshow stuck lamp issue fixed
– Flipper hold boost PWM patterns changed to minimize heat and noise
– Ball save issue after reactor destroyed fixed
– Fixed ball save issue during multiball
– Major performance update for lightshows – Thank you Josh Kugler!
– More secret skillshot bug fixes (now worth 100,000 points)
– Lightshow handling updates to prevent rare stuck on lights issue
– Lots of other little things that were bugging me that are not worth mentioning

– Added target free game setting in coin op settings for operators to control advanced match logic
– Co Op Mode added!
– Team VS Mode added!
– New Jackpot voice callouts
– Kill target locations now regenerate if you hit 20 unlit kill targets – protects location
play if a target gets broken. This is also a setting in the service menu
(Critical Target Miss Threshold)
– Sound volume setting no longer in service menu
– Removed trough jam and warning messages from LCD
– Service Menu now highlights settings that have been changed from the default value
– Super spinner now gets harder to achieve each time it is earned
– Orbit combo logic and scoring reworked now with multipliers!
– Bonus tally can now be skipped to the total bonus screen by pressing both flipper buttons
– Ball save for multiball is now independently adjustable in the service menu
– Ball save on reactor destroy now adds 5 seconds to the current ball save or starts a new 5 second
ball save

#2228 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Has anyone successfully loaded 1.20? I get the back-up, but it stays on v1.10... Any tips?

You accidentally put the wrong version on your USB stick. When you download the file, make sure it is not putting a (2) or other number on the file name. This happens when you download files with the same file name into your downloads folder on Windows. Make sure to save the file with the name "tna-gamecode.pkg".

--Scott

#2229 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Oh, sure...you agree publicly, but just last night you were saying you were completely against the notion. WHAT IS IT, SCOTT?!

You know, I changed my mind...

I disagree.

--Scott

1 week later
#2326 6 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Having a problem with my game where some of the white lights are pink. I thought there was a post here with a fix but I can't find it in either thread. Any advice?
Other then this, some minor switch adjustments and needing to center up the shooter rod it's great right out of the box

Contact spooky and they will send replacements. Some of the early games had a few weak LEDs in them. Problem solved long ago.

#2335 6 years ago

^^^ That does not look right. The switches should not be bent like that at all. They should be perfectly straight.

Here is a pic of my production trough:
20180422_094737 (resized).jpg20180422_094737 (resized).jpg

#2344 6 years ago
Quoted from genex:

thenotrashcougar noticed a few potential bugs today and one feature anomaly question...
First off, unrelated, I love the Mystery awards it cycles through that aren't real - so funny - not sure if I've seen appreciation for those before but well done
Bug: In multiplayer games, I've noticed for sure that if you hit both flippers to speed through the bonus collect, it won't give you the correct bonus. Noticed this just now where it said something like "x' bonus 12,000 and was going to go through the rest of the bonuses and I hit both flippers and the total bonus amount was less than the 12,000 so I know that wasn't right. I felt like I had a lot of lower than normal bonuses before when flipping both flippers to speed through it so not sure how frequently this happens and/or if it happens on single player games too.
Another thing I've noticed at times is the flashing lane up top will not be movable if you get the ball back up before the skill shot clears. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or not?
Finally the anomaly is that if you have multiple players make the high score board on a multiplayer game, it did let the highest score enter theirs first, but then did not go in descending order. It let P4 enter first (highest score), then P3 (who was beat by P1) and finally P1. Thought that was a bit weird but if that's how you intended it no big deal. Wasn't sure if it might have been affected by the 'speed-up-the-bonus' thing mentioned earlier since it was the same game and the scores were close...
Here's some screen grabs: (high score 4 (P3) was prompted to enter initials before P1)

These bugs are definitely known, but thank you so much for verifying for me. Please, if you are competing, remember not to skip the bonus count!

I am working on these and will have a patch with a couple new little things in it for you guys soon!

Any other bugs, please let me know, I am not offended. Thank you!!!

--Scott

#2363 6 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

The sensitivity of my pop bumper switch seem to drop a lot yesterday. Quick look under the pf with switch test and it seem like it's making contact but doesn't register the switch until I press harder on the skirt. Am I missing something here? Didn't want to mess with adjustment in case it's something else.

clean the contacts, maybe it got a little bit of manufacturing oil on it or something. Clean with a business card.

#2385 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Press and hold the Start button when you want to start a game and it will enter Coop mode. Press and hold again to enter vs. mode.
I do think this feature would be a lot more discoverable on location if there was a menu on the lcd when you started a game. We have flipper buttons to navigate with, why not use the lcd to clearly show all the gameplay options?
On location people aren’t willing to risk paid credits messing around with the start button.

Using flipper buttons to navigate a menu conflicts with the selectable hands free skillshot. I tried to make it as simple as possible, but will still review this for future code updates to make this more user friendly.

#2397 5 years ago

^^^^ I like that too! I am going to swap my mesh back in.

#2401 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It looks bitchin, could you have the factory default to this?

Unfortunately, I have nothing to do with the factory.

#2420 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Has anyone ever solved that loud ass fan issue ?

This is super odd to me as the power supply in my game is not loud. Maybe some of the supplies are louder than others? I have 3 of these supplies that are all about the same loudness and all 3 of them are quieter than Ghostbusters when it powers on the fan. There are other, more expensive fanless supplies that you can get that were posted earlier, but they would be way too expensive for production.
--Scott

#2423 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Any chance you can send a link ? Do you want me to post a sound clip ? I mean it sounds almost as bad as one of my asic miners

This is the one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HEP-600-48?qs=QoFhu5%252bruIqHjrMEv470Qw%3D%3D

No need to send a video, Someone else did that too and it is tough to tell how loud it actually is.

#2425 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Ok cool just ordered it. Also have you ever seen the ball slam into the side of cabinet after it bounces side to side right above the flippers?

I have, turn down your sling power.

2 weeks later
#2592 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

All pinstadium now work for tna and they are amazon with the us flasher. Video to come soon

In my opinion, TNA definitely does not need this. I also worry about how it is hooked up. What are you tapping into?
--Scott

#2657 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Wow...thank you to my amazing wife for planning far in advance for the best birthday gift ever. The game was setup in my game room when I came home on Friday. Welcome to the future!

WTF!! Really? She did that without you finding out???

#2665 5 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Does anyone else get a lot of stuck balls above right orbit switch from soft plunges? I haven't tried adjusting the switch yet, because it's pretty much fixed in place with the 3D printed holder. It's 50/50 if game tilts when trying to shake it free.

The bracket is not 3d printed and the switch is easily adjusted. It is probably just hitting too high,should be a pretty simple fix.
--Scott

#2687 5 years ago

TA Main7 - 1.2.1 Release (resized).jpgTA Main7 - 1.2.1 Release (resized).jpg
Hey there!!! Another TNA code update is here! This is a short, but good one.

I have fixed a few bugs and added what I like to call “Speed Runs” to kill each reactor. What do I mean you ask? The game now displays reactor uptime on the display telling you exactly how many seconds each reactor has been online for. The timer starts as soon as the reactor start scoop has been hit and stops when the reactor is destroyed. These speed times are stored in the high score table as “Reactor X Speed Run Champ”. There are 10 of these. One for each reactor and one for Total Annihilation!

Every second counts when battling these reactors so be sure to skip the reactor startup animation and be sure to skip the bonus count at the end of your ball. Your reactor uptime pauses if another player is up, but the timer does not pause until after the bonus count.

Have fun everyone!

Change Log:
v1.2.1 – 05/22/2018 – Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
– Skillshot light stuck on is now fixed.
– Reply info in attract mode now says replay for credit and Extra Ball when award is an extra ball
– Tilt during multiball trough issue fixed

– Added reactor uptime champs to high score boards
– Added reactor uptime to display while reactor is running
– Random performance enhancements
– Co Op now can be enabled if you forget to enable it on adding player 1

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11iirLZAPz0k-yNbEmt8AguLAuMOqbGbX

Code Update Procedure:
WARNING: Updating code on your game will reset your audits and settings on the game after the update procedure. However, these audits and settings are automatically dumped to the USB stick as a backup for your reference. I am planning to add functionality to save audits within the game in the future.

Step 1: Download the latest “pkg” file from the link above.
Step 2: Copy the “pkg” file to a USB flash drive. Do not change the name of the file, should be named “tna-gamecode.pkg”.
Step 3: Power off the game and remove the backglass.
Step 4: Insert the USB flash drive into an open USB port on the PC located on the right side within the backbox.
Step 5: Power on the machine, a message should appear saying that the software is updating.
Step 6: Once the code update is complete, remove the USB flash drive and restart the machine.

#2702 5 years ago

I will look into that. Pretty strange as I have tested this exact scenario a few times. Maybe I broke something when updating. thanks for the heads up!

#2704 5 years ago

First off, thank you. I appreciate the kind words!

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

1) Love the Goonies default high score names! I have a feeling I’m going to looking at Mouth, Data, Mikey & Sloth for a very long time.

Same here!

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

2) Nor sure if it was a bug or not, but during multiball I managed to get a super jackpot in the drop target scoop & release the 4th ball for 4x scoring. I drained & had only two balls remaining for a bit, yet 4x scoring insert was still lit in pink. I thought 4x scoring was only possible when 4 balls were on the table?

That is a bug that I am very aware of and currently working on for the next version. It gets stuck at 4x rarely during multiball under specific circumstances. I am on it.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

3) Can you explain Chunk’s Total Annihilation speed run leaderboard? Is that the record for the time it takes to destroy all 9 reactors in co-op mode?

Chunk's speed run score for Total Annihilation is the fastest time to beat the entire game. This would be interesting to see Bowen and Keith fight over this one.

--Scott

#2708 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

thenotrashcougar
Scott, any tips on tweaking the left scoop? I'm getting a ton of bounce outs on what seem to be solid shots.

You can put a few washers under the three scoop screws on the bottom side of the playfield essentially dropping the scoop lower. The downside to this is the internal protector covers less of the scoop hole, but makes the shot larger.

You can also turn down your flipper power, but that is not too fun.

--Scott

#2720 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Rumor starter. Spooky got the Goonies license and Scott is doing design.

Please don't blow my cover!!!

#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

So, does this new powerball 'mod' craze all the kids are talking about have the Danesi blessing?

Who cares! BangerJay put 4 powerballs in his Tron LE and it was awesome. It's your game, do what you want! I did put 4 glowballs in my TNA and I actually did not like it, but I will try powerballs just for fun when I get back from the holiday weekend.

--Scott

3 weeks later
#2951 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You own four pins? Time to bust off two nuts and add on two washers.
I think you will be just fine. Do it with the power off if that is not obvious.

This was added in production machines a long time ago when you first suggested it BTW.

The issue is most likely just a switch adjustment and a cleaning with a piece of printer paper between the contacts to remove any manufacturing oil or dust that could be on the switch. I will look at the code as well and make sure that the hits are not being dropped by the software at times.

--Scott

#2959 5 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

It would be great if once you built up your ball save to a certain level you could use it in the center. Like anything above level 4 or 5

You can use it in the center. Just cash it in on an inlane, it will activate the global ball save.
--Scott

1 week later
#3093 5 years ago

Yeah bend that a little. Just be careful, because too much and a left orbit will go SDTM.
--Scott

1 month later
#3248 5 years ago

Hey Guys and Gals,
The graphics have a CRT emulator effect on them and are full of glitches and purposely washed out. We tried to make it look like it was a dirty video transmission from Scarlet's arm computer. Could the screen have a better viewing angle? Probably, but I did not think it was worth the additional money on the BOM as we really had to keep the retail price under 6k. The higher def screens you guys are buying are old stock and no longer produced and are the same ones that ColorDMD used. I wish they still made those screens as I really liked the viewing angle, but they are not an option for production at this time. Other options are available in different form factors, but making a production change is not a good idea. Hope that helps clarify.
--Scott

1 month later
#3402 5 years ago

Check out this topper that goes over the topper we made at Pinball Life! Respectful nod to High Speed definitely intended.

HOT ACTION PINBALL!!!

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5389

pbl-100-0066-00 (resized).jpgpbl-100-0066-00 (resized).jpg

#3417 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I typically just unscrew all of these switches and targets, pull them off the playfield and adjust them, then put them back in for testing. I'm absolutely no expert here, but I find the angles and space for adjustment damn near impossible with everything left in tact.

That is a tad crazy.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

--Scott

#3423 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

No dude, the prototype had them from what I remember, but it was missing the backing stop plate, so the buttons would push all the way in, instead of stopping just after pushing in on the leaf switch

Not sure what you are referring to. I have the switch plates on the Whitewood machine and they have always been there. Unless I am not understanding what you are talking about.

20180831_172855 (resized).jpg20180831_172855 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3460 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Noticing some strange behavior with my TNA.
sometimes, in attract mode the screen and lights freeze up. (reset usually fixes this)
some lights In game aren't the right color, but test out fine. (reset usually fixes this)
I just had the game award a multiball with only one ball locked (first time I've ever seen that, maybe a drop target switch issue?)
some of the sounds in game get cut off pre-emptively (don't ever remember this happening before)
hoping all I need to do is reload the latest, just curious if anyone else had these issues and what they found to resolve them.
I actually had a USB cable stop working for the LCD displays, it was weird because that same cable worked for the backbox lighting.
tried 3 different spare USB cables before I found one that corrected that issue.
Seems like signs that the CPU board might be going out, lot of glitchy stuff going on.
Where can you buy one of these anyway, didn't see it on the pinballlife website.

I would recommend contacting spooky's service email. [email protected].

#3462 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

will do.
figured it wouldn't hurt to reach out first.
besides the multiball thing, it hasn't affected gameplay so I've kind of let the other issues slide (they were infrequent).
is that board listed on your site, couldn't find it.

All good, Pinball Life does not sell the CPU. You will have to reach out to Spooky for that, but I doubt that is the issue. Does your game take a while to start up? If so, the HDMI cable on the screen is not pushed in all the way on the CPU or the LCD screen. I know, I know, that sounds not feasible, but it actually happened a couple times I have seen. Super weird behavior. As for the LEDs being the wrong color, since a restart fixes it, it is either a loose power or loose serial cable on the PD-LED board that the troubled lights are hooked to. I would put it in attract mode and wiggle the power connector and serial cable that is connected to the green LED (PD-LED) board that is causing the issues and see if you can get it to flake out.

Also, please make sure you have the latest software installed. The latest as of right now is v1.2.1. Thanks!

--Scott

1 week later
#3473 5 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Anyone else have a drop target 3 down error? The target drops just fine during game play but if the game tries to drop it, the solenoid goes off for it but the target doesn’t drop. Solutions?
Also, some of the Star posts have a peeling piece of circlular Mylar under them. I’m assuming this was something used during production that doesn’t need to be there now.

Go into the drop target test in the service menu and check if it is working there properly. If not, look at it physically and make sure it is not pulled back too far from the mech overall. You can also increase the pulse length slightly.
--Scott

#3475 5 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I took a closer look at it and it seems like that last target needs a harder push for it to drop than the other two, like it’s spring loaded more. In the test mode the target drops correctly maybe 20% of the time tops. I did bump up the strength of the pulse (from 30 to 39 i believe) but that didn’t seem to affect it much.

You may have to tweak it by bending the little silver tab that holds the brass finger away from the coil. If the brass finger is too far from the drop target, the coil may not be able to pull it in. Just reduce the gap to the coil slightly.
--Scott

#3482 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Put a volt meter on the socket, see what it's outputting?

12vdc.

#3508 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Scott, can you tell me if the flasher bulb is 12v dc?
Save me getting my meter out ... and I’m not home anyway ...
cheers
rd

Definitely 12vdc.

#3510 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Do you have a picture of what you did or draw a diagram so I can do because I’m not good at these types of on the fly fixes.

You can actually just rotate the bulb 180 degrees and put it back in the socket and it holds. That is what I did at least...

#3542 5 years ago

The beacon is an off the shelf part. That is just the way it came. I think it is supposed to be for a slot machine.
--Scott

#3558 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

thenotrashcougar
FYI, there is a typo on your instruction card. Destroy is spelled destory.

People actually read those? jk jk

1 week later
#3637 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Anyone have a good shooter rod upgrade suggestion? The stock one I have had some rough edges (on the black handle) and feels like it’s grinding when pulled... making the skill shot tricky.
Not in love with the radiation one.

Sounds like a washer is binding up on your shooter rod. Try removing the washer that is between the inner (long) spring and the shooter housing.
--Scott

#3669 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Is there a way to reset all the high scores without doing a full factory reset? I’m not seeing it in the menu. Am I blind?

Will be in the next update. Sorry, was an oversight by me.
--Scott

#3691 5 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Here’s a tournament related question. It seems the player scores can sometimes glitch out and show all 888888888 or some error code. Seems to be an intermittent problem with this game, which I’ve seen on a few different TNAs.
The scenario in question is in a 4 player group, ball 1... Player 4s score goes glitchy suddenly. The group plays on, immediately on ball 2, player 1 score glitches out. Player 2 and 3 scores never glitch out. Nobody is really sure of player 1 or player 4 scores. Of course we can play to the end and see the scores on the main screen. But how do you gauge how you are playing compared to the unknown scores during the game ?! What would be a proper tournament ruling in this scenario be?

I would contact spooky support as this is not normal behavior at all.

#3733 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I am having a problem with my 4th player display keeps showing all 8s. 8 can get it to go away by playing with the connectors on the displays but it keeps coming back. Do I need new display connectors?
[quoted image]

Could be the connector or the Maxim chip on the back of the display. If you wiggled the connectors and it comes back alive, definitely look at that as being the issue.

#3765 5 years ago
Quoted from nalsa:

I was hoping someone else has had this problem, I am consistently getting a drop target #3 drop down error, after looking at the unit, its a small coil that pulls in a plate to physically hit the drop to release it. When I coil test this I hear a clicking, but the coil does not grab that plate unless I physically move it slightly. I thought that it was indicating that it was to far from the plate, so I adjusted the plate rest to make it a little closer, it worked fine until the next day when the same thing started again.
Hopefully this makes sense, and maybe anyone who has resolved this issue will be able to chime in if I am on the right track, or need to look elsewhere to solve the problem??

Replace the spring on the knockdown coil with this one:
https://www.pinballlife.com/armature-extension-spring-10-120.html

#3783 5 years ago

You guys are pretty awesome tech support. <3

#3793 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

My drop target 1 recently started dropping on its own. It happens about once every game at this point. Where do I start diagnosing this?
I ran a drop test for 10 cycles. Here are the results.
[quoted image]

Probably a mechanical issue. Looks like your drop 1 will not always stay up. Look and make sure that the brass metal finger is not rubbing on it keeping it from sitting on the little black ledge. I hope that makes sense.
--Scott

#3811 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I mean it will just throw a ball into the shooter lane and fire it into play. Just happened again on my last game... more than once. Maybe a loose connector somewhere.

Flaky outlane switch. It gives you a small ball save out of the scoops.
--Scott

#3812 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m somewhat behind on the thread. Code update you say? I really couldn’t envision any way to improve this amazing game.

Bug fixes, new sounds, etc. Maybe a few little new things that have been bugging me.

1 week later
#3868 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

For the folks having drop target errors, exactly which springs are you replacing. I assume it's spring 1 in my picture since that's closer to the size of the replace springs that was suggested earlier in this thread. But boy are those springs heavy duty compared to the replacements.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Replacing a spring is only meant for those that adjusted the drop target back and forth too much and the beefy spring (#1 in your pic) is too strong and bending the weakened adjustment finger by itself. If I were you, I would run the drop target test in the service menu to see what the issue is.
--Scott

#3869 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Had some friends over last weekend and discovered an issue i hadnt seen before that night. Basically after the ball drained the sound would cut out for a few seconds then return right before next ball was ejected into shooter lane. But then the next time i played a single player game all sounds were normal. So it seems to be an intermittent issue. Anyone else experience this strange behavior with their game?

Amp is probably clipping and shutting down. turn down the bass ever so slightly. You probably had the volume louder when you had people over.
--Scott

#3874 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I did run it in test mode and got target 1/2 drop error every time. How do I fix that.?
When I play a game sometimes I only need to lock 2 balls and the first target will drop to start MB. Then during MB I get continuous jackpots without hitting any shots.
Things were fine for about the first 50 games.
Thanks for the help.

Run the test and take a pic of the results. Watch the drop targets too. They will cycle up, then down and repeat. If one is not staying up, there is a physical issue somewhere. If the drops look like they are going up, staying up and then dropping normally when the machine is trying to drop them in the test, you may have a dead switch.

#3878 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Drop target 2 and 3 pop up, stay up for a second, then go down. Drop target 1 doesn't seem to popup when it should, then pops up for a split second then goes down.
I wish I could post the video some where.
[quoted image]

Yeah post a video to YouTube, it looks like you could have 2 switch errors here. The drops are probably functioning normally. Can you test the switches in switch test?
--Scott

#3880 5 years ago

Restart your game and try that again. You may have just found a bug in my test mode software.

#3881 5 years ago

Basically, what the test does is drop the 1st, drop the 2nd, drop the 3rd, raise the 1st, raise the 2nd, raise the 3rd, repeat. So if a target is not staying up immediately, you need to check the assembly to see if something is preventing it from staying up when the bottom coil fires.

You found a bug in my software that basically was firing the test all out of order since you ran it once and then backed out to the home of the service menu and then went back into the drop test... oops. I will fix that for the next release.
--Scott

#3889 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Here is the test after a reboot. It seems like only the first drop target is the issue in that it doesn't stay up.

OK, switch error on #2 and #1 has a physical issue. Both easy fixes. Make sure the screws in the side of the little black switch body are not too tight, this can cause the switch to stick a little. Take the playfield up with the power off and see why #1 wont stay up. Might be as easy as the brass finger is dragging on the black drop target.
--Scott

#3905 5 years ago

If your multiball is having a delayed start, that means that the switch for drop 1 is not working.

--Scott

#3911 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

So my problem was spring #2 in your picture. I went into coil test and set it to repeatedly fire the coil that drops target #2. I noticed that if I pulled that long spring on the plastic part of the assembly (#2), it would reset fine. I just swapped that spring with the one on target #3 for now and both work consistently.
Does anyone know where I can get replacements for the short, thick spring. I bought three of the 10-120 springs, but they are too light. I stretched and cut one of the originals in trying to get this to work. Everything works ok now, but I'd like to add a spring to my next PBL order so it's back to factory.

https://www.pinballlife.com/armature-extension-spring-10-363.html

#3913 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Thanks, Scott! So was 10-120 supposed to replace spring #2 in this picture?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/78#post-4699953
If so, that would have solved my issue a couple of hours ago, and I need to work on my reading comprehension.
I had assumed it was supposed to replace spring #1 due to its size. Oops!
I'm loving the game by the way. I just picked it up a week ago. Great work!

Yeah the 10-120 is a weaker spring in case people have damaged the adjustment finger shown here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/78#post-4699625

The weaker spring will not pull as hard on this finger. This is the same spring that was used in the gate assembly as well. But just make sure there are no mechanical hangups that may be causing issues. These drop target assemblies are the same exact design that Williams/Bally used back in the 90's. I chose to do this because replacement parts were readily available.

--Scott

#3918 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My tilt is super sensitive even tho its on the lowest setting possible, is there a trick to making it bit less sensitive? I have the back legs pretty high up so the game is on an angle making the front of the bob very close to the circle.

you can also do the ear plug mod. Where you cut an earplug in half longways and stick it into the top loop of the tilt vertical wire where it touches the hanger. TNA seems to be particularly sensitive with the tilt at times and for some reason the tilt bob does not stop swinging very quickly.
--Scott

#3920 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Scott, there have been times where I make a big move, and can hear the tilt bob swinging and making contact, but don't get the warning at that moment, but after a time (time enough for it to settle), the tilt warning occurs. Is this something that happens via software where the game has delayed response to switch hits? I also notice that the slings sometimes don't fire immediately when the switch makes contact, but fires a split second after the ball has bounced off of it. A similar situation perhaps?

I will definitely look at this. Might be a software thing.
--Scott

#3950 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Thanks for all the pointers everyone in terms of scoop bounce outs. A few minutes after ordering a couple strips of drop dead foam from Pinbits, I realized something. When I was bending the scoop, I was basically just pushing down on the front of the scoop. I found that if I instead pushed from the back of the scoop and bent that way, it was much more effective in trapping the ball.
If the back of the scoop is angled slightly down instead of being perpendicular to the ball, obviously that will decrease bounce outs. That's probably obvious to most of you, but it took me a while
Now I can back hand the shot a lot more reliably, and even right flipper shots stay in more often. I hope this isn't just a honeymoon phase, but this game is amazing, and I haven't even played a multiplayer game on my machine yet!

Just an FYI, that shot is not ever a gimme out of the core either. It can skip right over if you get it screaming around in there. If I have a reactor start sometimes I will trap up in the core and let it out slowly to guarantee it goes in the scoop. At least that works well on my game.
--Scott

#3986 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I'm doing a parts order soon and may need a switch for drop target 1 as well. Which switch do I need? I took a quick peak and didn't see it listed here, although it probably is. Also checked Scott's site...
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=783

Here is the drop switch.

https://www.pinballlife.com/sub-microswitch-with-19-straight-flat-actuator.html

Be careful when tightening the switch down as too much sideways pressure on the switch can make it stick and/or damage it.

Here is a diagram of the TNA pop from the Baywatch manual that I have. Same thing.

Sega-DE-Pop (resized).PNGSega-DE-Pop (resized).PNG

1 week later
#4169 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

They are pinkish/purple. Match great. And yes, I also got the board from PBL. Didn't know if it was necessary or not.

Unfortunately, the Accessory Power Supply is recommended as it reduces the risk of overloading the 12v power supply in TNA and causing CPU resets when a bunch of mods are plugged in. The good news is this power supply give plenty of headroom to install all sorts of other things.

I just did a little write-up of what is needed to install these light-up buttons on TNA.

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1710

--Scott

#4170 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

That's up next but I've spent enough on this thing at the moment, the hinge kit is next for sure. Seems like PBL either doesn't sell it or is out of stock now as I can only find it on Hooked on Pinball.

Hooked is the only place I know of that sells the lit side rails and hinges.
--Scott

1 week later
#4286 5 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Had a first happen for me last night. At the start of multiball got a ball "locked" between the back inline drop and the scoop. It had not gone in the scoop, but must have been a slow roller timed just right with the reset. Actually took me a few seconds to figure out what happened to the third ball. since there are not opto's behind that last drop the game did not know it was there, so i was playing 3 ball multi-ball with only 2 balls and the other "held" for me, almost felt like cheating. I lost one of the other balls then got all three drops down which knocked the held ball into the scoop giving me another ball so i was back to 3 ball play. Was kind of weird and fun at the same time. I was wondering what would happen if I lost both the other 2 balls and just had that one there, I'm thinking eventually it would go into ball search and free it, but I didn't get to find out.
Anyone else have this happen?

Ballsearch would have had to recover it. That is a cool situation though, you got a sneaky add-a-ball.

Quoted from xbmanx:

My TNA has been kicked out of every single tournament it’s been in on location for one reason or another. Most of them relating to the way the tilt works in the game and one player can tilt through to the next no matter what you do.

Sorry to hear that man. This is a physical issue and the tilt bob does not stop swinging on some games. Take a look at it next time. You need to center the ring properly depending on your playfield angle to minimize this. You can also install an earplug in the hole where the tilt wire hangs, that will help calm down the swinging.

--Scott

#4297 5 years ago
Quoted from MythMaker:

Could the tilt through be solved with a software fix. Essentially at the start of a new player do not register tilt warnings until the ball leaves the shooter lane?

No, operators would not like this as a player could abuse the machine with the ball in the shooter lane. There is a setting in the service menu called "Tilt Switch Sensitivity ms". This is the amount of ms the tilt bob has to be in contact with the ring to register a switch hit. You can try and increase this by 1 or 2 and see if that makes a difference. If you go too high, this can cause the tilt switch not to register, so just keep that in mind.
--Scott

#4306 5 years ago
Quoted from S_J_G:

#447 here. Got it set up a couple of days ago... awesome. Has anyone else noticed the "Game Over You Failed" animation at the end of a game cutting out before it finishes? The LED screen, back box GI and grill lights all go dark for a second and then the screen comes back with the Player 1 score. Just curious...

Normal, it is not the animation cutting out, it is the game doing a reset after the game is over.

As for the tilt stuff, I have struggled with how to approach the logic on this. If I disallow tilts and warnings while the ball is in the shooter lane, someone could potentially shake the machine hard enough to free a locked ball and award an instant multiball. It would have to be VERY aggressive behavior, but it is possible. Tilt throughs do happen on other games, but I will admit that they seem to be happening a bit more on TNA vs others. I am still investigating this. The setting I mentioned above to adjust the tilt sensitivity may help greatly, but will be a different value for each machine. I noticed there is not a one size fits all value for this.

Anyway, I hope you guys have a good holiday and new year. I am working on the v1.3.0 update right now and shoudl have that released right after the new year!

--Scott

#4317 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

could you build in a logic that works like this?
"if" multiplayer game and ball drains (all balls seen in trough switches) "then" disallow tilt warnings for X seconds "if" next player ball is still on shooter lane switch
X could be a user configurable setting with 10 as a good default I think.
This coding would then only provide a 10 second window for potential abuse and also puts it in the next players control to wait out the tilt bob swing.
Just thinking out loud for possible ways to hit the logic.
I will say that to me, this is not a huge issue and I have been able to fine tune with just the physical tilt bob height/ good centering combined with altering the msec debounce. I have it to a point now that players know you cant go big on a potential ball drain. Sure the code refinement would be nice and this is a symptom of ALL p-roc based games IME.

That does not sound unreasonable. Good thing a code update is coming soon.
--Scott

#4336 5 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

I made a port and plug for the subwoofer. I've noticed a decent improvement in the sound with this upgrade. It should be tuned to around 40-45Hz.. I think..
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3309874
Next job is to seal the box.

Love this. Are you plugging 1 and putting the recessed port in the other?
--Scott

#4339 5 years ago

Nice!!! Yeah I think the subs are dual voice coil.
--Scott

#4343 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Christmas code drop! Awesome!

It is beta code... Only for the brave.

Quoted from rai:

Great. I like the option were the RAD target is not used for early reactors.

This applies only to the beta code at the moment, but will be released just after 2019 starts up.

--Scott

#4345 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Still awesome nonetheless! I may have to test it...but I'm dealing with Dialed In code issues (for my game at least) so I may not want to have 2 games "down" potentially

The TNA beta code will not bring your game down. Also, you can always flash it back if you do not like the beta stuff.
--Scott

#4348 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

This sounds awesome. Wonder if it will solve the buzz I have when holding the right flipper.
[quoted image]

That will not solve it. The flippers are PWM'd on TNA and will buzz a little when being held. Unfortunately, this is perfectly normal and not much I can do about it.
--Scott

#4351 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

No problem, as long as it’s not harmful. Thanks!

Absolutely not harmful.

#4354 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Sent you a couple reports thenotrashcougar
I'll try playing a few more games on it, but might be reverting back to 1.2.1 until it gets fixed. The game has frozen up twice in about a dozen games.
Thanks!

Sweet. Thanks. Please report anything you find using that form on the beta site. Thanks again!

#4364 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I saw it too, but wasnt sure what is was, just like you. Has your game reset randomly during reactor overheat?

Quoted from Toyguy:

Yeah, had 2 hard crashes with the ball in the core building criticality. Also had several more instances of additional balls getting kicked into play. Rolled back to 1.2.1 and no further problems. Something fishy in beta-Ville I think

Looks like I got some tracking down to do. I am going to pull the beta for now until I can figure out what is happening. Thanks guys!
--Scott

#4370 5 years ago

Found the logic issue on reactor 3 stalling out in the latest Beta code! I also think I tracked down the extra ball kicking out issue that only happens on a few machines.

New Beta code is up (v1.3.0.b10)! Just a friendly reminder, please keep in mind this beta version of the software is a work in progress and it may have some minor issues. If you install this and see any issues, please use the form at the bottom of the Beta Code Zone on my website to let me know what happened to the best of your knowledge. You can always revert back to the latest Production code if needed.

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=1724

Thanks guys and gals!
--Scott

#4379 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Scott would that issue be present in the present shipping code (1.2.1? I think?) I’ve been having extra balls been shot out and have swaped and replaced lots of parts because of it! If so is there a workaround whilst we wait for full code?
Thanks
Neil.

I am not sure, I am still getting reports of extra balls being kicked into play even with the beta, but I have yet to see it on the 3 machines I have tested on. This is one of those very strange issues. I am thinking it could be a flaky rollover switch in the trough, but I will have to dig into it a bit more.

#4381 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

How do one turn off extra balls? I cant figure it out.

This doc from my website has all the settings listed in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p78DQzAWaLikkQ-y03z-Uub7v2SshlyS/view

Just set Extra Ball 1 Reactor and Extra Ball 2 Reactor both to 0.

#4383 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I am not aware of any sort of extra ball issue on the 1.2.1 release code. I have had it on the 1.3.0 beta code though. I thought I had tracked it down to my being stupid and losing track of ball searches and grace periods and all that, and that is certainly a part of it, but we had one clear case last night with several of us watching where a single ball was in play, no scoop launches or reactor kills, etc., and a second ball was launched into play. I am beginning to suspect hardware issues. Spooky has asked me to look at the trough jam opto, which I did. It looked fine as far as I can tell. Maybe it's registering spuriously and causing the game to try clearing a jam by pushing out a ball. I'm not sure yet.
On the positive side, the reactor heat-up game hang is fixed. Nice work tracking that one down Scott. 1.3.0b10 is pretty solid outside of determining whether these extra balls are code or hardware related.
Scott, is there any way for you to track in the log or something when balls are inappropriately launched?

Currently a shooter lane switch error and a jam error will show up in the error report in the beta version. I am going to have to add some debug code to figure out why another ball is launched in your game at random times. I have not had this happen on the 3 games that I have been testing on at all, so this is a tough one for me since I cannot see what is happening. I have had at least 2 people say they are experiencing this with the current beta code and I think 1 person is experiencing this with the current production (v1.2.1) code. Dang, I wish my game was doing it, this would be solved already... haha.

There still is 1 issue int eh beta where the reactor critical can slow down the game during co-op, I will get that fixed asap, but I need to replicate it first, which s another difficult one.

Thanks for all the help guys! This is very helpful and time-saving for me and I really appreciate it.

--Scott

#4385 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Thank you for all your efforts on TNA Scott. Your close involvement with the community was one of the big selling points for me, beyond how great a game it is.
I sent you an email on this but I'll post here too as I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else notices it.
Reactor speed run tracking looks like it may have a bug somewhere. I currently have a 4 second kill time on Reactor 1. I see no way that's even remotely possible, even if I did everything correctly the first time. I'd have to plunge the rollover, fall directly into the scoop, abort the light show, eject, hit an orbit, build criticality, fall directly into the scoop, eject and hit the destroy shot. Seems suspect to me. I'm wondering if there's a bug where it's resetting the uptime, maybe in co-op or team-vs mode? Maybe I am that good but I don't think so

I have seen this happen many times and it is actually legit. The time is from when the reactor starts to when it is killed. If you are in multiball, and start the reactor, it starts immediately, If you have a ball in the core already, it will overheat it and you can kill it pretty damn fast. I think the fastest I have ever seen was something like 2 seconds. I am probably going to have to set this to milliseconds. I will double check though and make sure there is nothing going on here that could be giving incorrect results.

Thank you for the kind words. We should probably keep most of the Beta bug discussion offline as it scares some people. I have already been getting questions about if these bugs exist in v1.2.1, which they do not.

Thanks again!
--Scott

#4389 5 years ago

Thanks for catching that. This will be fixed in the next beta update. ^^^^^
--Scott

#4391 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'll second this. On paper TNA doesn't seem to be all that but it plays so fast and the code is so tight and the sights and sounds are fantastic... I think the extra mile by Scott is what makes it so great.
I'm still amazed at how great the pin is, especially considering how much has been done by one person.

Thank you so much! This is a huge amount of work, but it is all good. I appreciate the kind words, it makes it all worth it.
--Scott

#4405 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Im pretty sure there are no EBs awarded during Co-Op mode.

This is correct.

#4417 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I've had a couple failures recently of the lower drop target going down. I hit it well enough to knock the ball back and drop the middle target, but both balls pile up on the lower one, which hasn't gone down. I'll have to take a look at that mechanism and see how it works.

This is totally normal behavior. If you have 2 balls locked and you barely hit the release target and it knocks the ball back and drops the middle target, it will let the first locked ball fall in with the 2nd. Nothing is wrong there as you can release both the same exact way. I was going to make a random award for this, but its unfair since it cannot be done on purpose.
--Scott

#4425 5 years ago

That all seems a bit excessive. Did you try and update to the latest beta version and adjust the sling power to prevent the airballs without the washers?
--Scott

#4435 5 years ago

CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).pngCodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
TNA Code Update!!!

It is finally here in all of its glory. Version 1.3.0 with many new features and bug fixes. Please see the change log below. The code can be downloaded from the link below as well. As always, let me know if you encounter any issues with the software and I can address them. Enjoy!

CHANGE LOG:
###########################################################################
v1.3.0 - 01/03/2019 - Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
- Fixed default coil pulse time in coil test
- Fixed video lag in Burn Test
- Tweaked orbit sound effects
- Fixed issue where the shaker would not always start on critical
- Fixed sensitivity on drop error messages, they will appear less frequently
- Fixed ball save callout, now happens on SDTM shots out of the scoop
- Spelling error fixed in service mode
- Adjusted attract lightshow timings to make the transitions more smooth
- Fix put in place for ball tracking issue, once again...
- Fixed hangup on bringing reactor 3 critical!
- Fixed false positive credit dots. Now waits until 10 failures to throw the dot
- Made another attempt at fixing the extra ball getting thrown in play on certain machines during ball save
- Fixed issue with some 10 letter initials getting cut off

- Added Beacon Test in service menu
- Added sound effects for high score entry
- Added dedicated high score reset utility in the server mode preserving other audits
- Top score entry for Co-Op games added
- Left gate now opens during attract mode when clearing balls out of the shooter lane
- Updated indication lightshows for when locked balls are waiting and multiball ready
- Massive restructuring of flipper handling logic, now runs stronger and cooler
- Credit Dot and Error Report added to the service menu
- Clear Coin Audits added
- Adjusted High Score initials down slightly for easier viewing
- Added Balls Saved audit
- Ability to disallow tilts when ball is in the shooter lane
- RAD target destroy selection logic updates based on Reactor Difficulty Setting
- Easy Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-3
- Medium Reactor Setting (Default) - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-2
- Hard Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactor 1
- Brutal Reactor Setting - RAD targets can be selected for all reactors
- Completely restructured how the slings are handled to reduce airballs

###########################################################################
Software Download and Instructions: www.tnapinball.com

#4444 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I think a cool mystery award to add (if it's not already there) would be to reset the locks (when applicable).

Yep, already in there. Called "Light Locks".

#4460 5 years ago

Hmm, interesting notes. I will look into these and see what is going on. Thanks for the heads up.
--Scott

#4461 5 years ago

For the sling issue, make sure your switches are adjusted properly as it is just firing a PWM to the coil multiple times. This will not hurt the coil as it is not giving it full power. I can look to make a change in the future to prevent this on multiple fires from a flaky switch. The tilt thing is definitely a bug as it should know that the balls are locked in there. It monitors the lock mech constantly and will not drop properly locked balls, but it looks like you found a race condition that I need to find. This is all super helpful.

Also, I did not change the music at all. I did modify the orbit sound effect though.

Thank you again,
--Scott

#4462 5 years ago

Please let me know if you guys encounter anything else strange and I will dig into it.
--Scott

#4466 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Minor bug encountered last night:
A) 2-player co-op game started.
B) P1 is playing, and has 1 reactor destroyed on ball 1. His score is, let's say, 300001.
C) While P1 is still up, I pressed the start button to join the co-op.
D) I was added and everything worked as expected, but...
E) The "1" got removed from the end of P1's score.
The playfield still showed that we were working on Reactor 2, of course. Over the rest of game, P1 destroyed another reactor or two, and his last digit increased each time but was always -1 from where it should be.
I'm not surprised that this wouldn't have come up before.

Quoted from Toyguy:

I reported this to Scott directly via email last night

This bug has been in for a while now and I am surprised 2 people caught it within a couple days of the new software! Crazy. Thanks for the report, I will get this updated in the next release, which will most likely just be a minor bug fix release. I am going to wait a bit though to make sure there are no other bugs in the game. I appreciate the non use of pitchforks here, I do not have a huge team of people helping me test.
--Scott

#4468 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Dave reported it to you based on me reporting it to him last night.
So, we're only talking about 1 incident.

Ohhhh, that makes more sense. That was so close to one of my test scripts, just without the reactor blowing up thing.

#4470 5 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I installed the 1.3.0 code last and noticeably better game play not sure how but shots see to come smoother. The only issue I am having right now is on a few occasion the right sling stayed active for a good second or two. I have also had the screen give me the "no signal" alert and everything goes white on the play field. I have to take the back glass off and reboot the unit by hitting that little reset button to get it going again. This happened only a few time on the last code but happen a good four times on me last night. The play overall is great..

I would contact service about that PC issue as it looks like the PC is losing power on you...

#4476 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I've played a bunch of games on the new code now. 1 issue I've seen so far is the left sling stuck on for longer than normal...good extra second or 2.

Yeah, I have a few more reports of this as well, but not on everyone's machine. How often is it happening? It is not dangerous to your machine since I am using a pulsed signal for the coil, but it seems I need to adjust something called a debounce for this to ignore flaky switch hits. I will put out a bug fix patch for this in a week or two.
--Scott

#4479 5 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Scott,
I installed the code yesterday and one thing that happened 3-4 times is this.
Let's say you have 2 tilt warnings. You then have a ball go into the locks and tilt at the same time. The machine indefinitely freezes up on the tilt screen. It then goes into ball search. Sometimes it unlocks the ball from the lock and continues the game and sometimes it doesnt and the game just endlessly sits on tilt and you have to restart the machine.

Please contact me via PM as I am unable to replicate this. Thank you,
--Scott

EDIT: Please also double check the version number you are on as this was an issue in earlier versions.

#4481 5 years ago

If anyone is having the slingshot issue and willing to try out the new beta code, please let me know if the updates I made eliminate the issue. Unfortunately, this is not happening on games I have access to, so I cannot replicate.

Thank you,
--Scott

#4483 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Game #333... My left slingshot started acting up right after the update.

Yeah, there is an issue in the code for certain machines, nothing dangerous. Please give the new beta code I just posted a try and see if that resolves it, if it does not, I will go nuclear on the issue.

Thank you,
--Scott

#4487 5 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the videos. So it still did happen with the new Beta v1.3.1.b1 software? If so, I may have to rework what I did for the v1.3.0 release...

The lock rejection is caused by the CPU not reading and responding to the opto beam quick enough. This happens once it a while if you really shoot it in there at full speed. I have seen this on my game, but there is not much I can do about it. There is even a stat in the audits to say how many lock rejects are happening. The software does it's best to keep this from happening, but it still can happen rarely.

If the lock rejects are becoming an issue, I can modify the lightshow to reallocate some of the CPU usage.

Thank you again!!!
--Scott

#4490 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Occurred just the one time in v1.3.1.b1, much less than before. Happened right when reactor went critical too, not sure if that would have affected it. I'm going to try going back to the stock rubbers as well…the airball situation has mellowed considerably since adding the washers and updating the code.
Thanks for clarification on the quick lock shot. Felt like an "it's only pinball" sort of situation, glad to have that confirmed.
Thanks so much, Scott!

Oh ok, I am going to try one more thing before I scrap the new sling logic and start over. I will be uploading beta 2 tonight.

Let me know if the lock rejects during reactor critical become an issue. This is actually a CPU limit that I am pushing right up against. The compromise would be the lightshow during reactor critical would just have to pulse instead of move from bottom to top. I am still going to look into how to improve the performance other ways as well.

Thank you again for the help!
--Scott

#4491 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Do I have the new beta code world record? Mine hasn't done anything strange yet on new beta code. My righthand reactor sling was machine gunning a few times, but it probably just needs a leaf adjustment, one leaf looks like it could be a little to close I suppose.
[quoted image]

Holy crap! 5.6 million???? You cheat Dr Jones.

#4493 5 years ago

I think the key thing here is that some games the sling switches are so tight that they machine gun and it is throwing off my new logic and pulsing out the sling. Please try and adjust the sling switches and let me know if it still happens. This may just be what the machine gunning sling looks like with this new pulsed code. That adjustment I made in the current beta code should help greatly though.
--Scott

#4494 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Ha 7 reactors is my record on old code. I can play

Find me at a show, I can talk a bunch of friendly shit and probably get my ass kicked. I challenge you to a dollar game.

--Scott

#4498 5 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

Sweet, I'll give the b2 a test run when it's ready!
The lightshow coming out of the right scoop is mind blowing every time, BTW. I'll keep an eye out for odd behaviour during critical reactors.
I did notice some machine gunning, assumed that's what it was doing instead of staying stuck on now. Adjusted the switches to be bit less sensitive.
Happy to help, you're most welcome!

You know, I think this is where I am going to leave it. In the current Beta (b1), if they machine gun fast enough, it just looks like it sticks. This should be rare, but it is indicating that a switch needs to be looked at.

Before I release an official patch for these bugs, I am going to wait a little bit to see if any more issues roll in. I am hoping not. (crossing fingers)

Thank you all for the help and feedback.

--Scott

#4499 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

Default settings and outlanes? Wow.

Yeah I am definitely challenging him to a dollar game. I will report back how bad I got burned.

#4502 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Yep, it's def way above my average game though. I'm no Elwin or Gagno, but I can hang
I think one of the jackpots I got in that game was around 750k...
187500 x 4 balls in play I think it was? I'm not positive on that...it was hectic at that point haha

Holy crap, you guys are crazy!

#4505 5 years ago

<3 Thank you.

The reactor colors are the same as in previous versions.

#4514 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Has anyone noticed multiball delays on the new code? I've had quite a few multiballs where I hit the target to drop the balls out and the game doesn't actually notice it for a few seconds. In one instance all the balls went down the drain before it noticed multiball and activated the ball save :\

This is due to the switch not registering on your first drop target. Check that switch in switch test and adjust it if needed.

#4516 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I just had the right lower sling stick on the newest beta....it's not machine gunning. It actually stays energized.
Gotta make dinner now.

Check the leaf switches and make sure they are not adjusted too sensitive. If the switches are bouncing while the sling is being pulsed out, it will continue to queue up those switch hits. The new code, as I have mentioned, used a PWM to fire the coil, so this is why that behavior is happening.
--Scott

#4517 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Lsst game of the night. I think something needs to be looked at still Scott. I've had the slings machine gun and sometimes stay energized too. Switches are not set super feather tight or anything. Could be mechanical of course, rubbers or switch issue or something too..my beta testing is over for the day, where do I collect my bitcoins? [quoted image]

3.9 million??? WTF man. Still going to challenge you on a dollar game...

Let me know what you find when looking at the leaf switches, I bet they are bouncing.

--Scott

#4523 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Check your trough jam opto. If the game thinks there is a ball stuck it will keep trying to clear it by pushing another one past it.

Yep this... There is also an error report in the statistics menu of the service menu now too that will show this.

#4524 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I’ve had my slings lock for a second on a couple occasions with the newest code. Never had it happen before. My sling switches are very sensitive so I assume that’s because of your new logic.
I did have 2 balls served into the shooter lane last night. That has never happened before.
Thanks for all your hard work, Scott!

Check the error report in the statistics menu, it will tell you why the ball was served. Jam VS shooter switch not registering.

#4540 5 years ago

I am planning to release a small patch, v1.3.1, in the next few weeks if you want to wait. Otherwise 1.3.0 is just fine. You can look at my site int eh Beta Code Zone to see what the little patches will be.

#4545 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I prefer to think of him as Gomez Addams. Quirky, fun to be around, and a beautiful wife.

I like to think of him as Gary Wallace from "Weird Science". He is just an average nerd, but accidentally creates something pretty neat.

#4548 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

speaking of... I would love that as a pinball theme...
is this possibly a forshadowing of SD2?

You shut your mouth kind sir...

#4554 5 years ago

Hey Guys,
A bunch of TNA game specific parts just went up on the Pinball Life website.

https://www.pinballlife.com/total-nuclear-annihilation.html

--Scott

#4559 5 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Is the power filter board from pinball life an add on board?

What do you mean an "add-on board"? The power filter board is an OEM replacement part. It is the exact same board that is in the game now.
--Scott

#4564 5 years ago

Just an FYI, I put up some new beta code tonight that should clear up the sling sticking issue that some of you are seeing. Let me know if you still have issues with it. Thank you!

#4568 5 years ago

Anybody else that was having sling issues try out that latest Beta code? v1.3.1.b2

If that solved it, I am going to push it as a production release very soon.

--Scott

#4570 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just noticed it happen on an upper sling in the reactor area for me for the first time last night. I will give the beta code a shot and let you know what I see.

Excellent! Thank you!

#4571 5 years ago

Anyone try "1 Reactor Battles" with your buddies yet?

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1777

Reactor Destroyed (resized).JPGReactor Destroyed (resized).JPG

#4577 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

My initial thought on this was that I don't want to set the "Annihilation after reactor" setting to 1 because I want to have the satisfaction of seeing what it looks like when I finally destroy the 9th reactor.
But then, after I sobered up, I realized this is a sweet idea. Who am I kidding... after only destroying 3 reactors there's no way I'm ever going to get to 9 unless I get struck by lightening and acquire magical meta-human Bowen skills in the process.

You can always set it to 3.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
887 posts in this topic match your search for posts by thenotrashcougar. You are on page 1 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thenotrashcougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/1?tu=thenotrashcougar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.