(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 239.
#8101 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you are able to relax until it arrives, I think you'll find that many of the things you are concerned about aren't really issues.

I apologize for making a nuisance of myself regarding a game I don't even have in my possession, but, as I wrote, I'm excited and I have no other pins to distract me while I wait for TNA to arrive. It was only just picked up at the seller's yesterday. I don't expect to have it until late next week at the soonest.

#8102 2 years ago

Unusual Scoop:

I've never studied the main scoop mech on TNA, but I have a photo of the underside of the playfield and I'm noticing that the scoop is a bit more involved than your typical scoop. I mean, ordinarily a scooped ball is ejected with the tip of a plunger, actuated by a solenoid, etc., but TNA's main scoop appears to employ a crank like a flipper. I can't quite read the coil number, but it looks like a flipper coil. Does this explain the oomph of the ejection? I'm very curious to study that mech in person. I recently had a TZ and the Slot Machine Scoop was a bit of a bear. It was very unreliable. It would fire the ball in any of a few different trajectories, with varying intensities, perhaps owing to how often the plunger tip would glance off the ball's equator rather than connect squarely, etc. Is TNA's main scoop unique in this regard? Is it uniquely ornery? Is it a pioneering use of a flipper coil and crank to eject a ball?

#8103 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Unusual Scoop:
I've never studied the main scoop mech on TNA, but I have a photo of the underside of the playfield and I'm noticing that the scoop is a bit more involved than your typical scoop. I mean, ordinarily a scooped ball is ejected with the tip of a plunger, actuated by a solenoid, etc., but TNA's main scoop appears to employ a crank like a flipper. I can't quite read the coil number, but it looks like a flipper coil. Does this explain the oomph of the ejection? I'm very curious to study that mech in person. I recently had a TZ and the Slot Machine Scoop was a bit of a bear. It was very unreliable. It would fire the ball in any of a few different trajectories, with varying intensities, perhaps owing to how often the plunger tip would glance off the ball's equator rather than connect squarely, etc. Is TNA's main scoop unique in this regard? Is it uniquely ornery? Is it a pioneering use of a flipper coil and crank to eject a ball?

It's fast and consistent. It gets used a lot in that game. It will shoot a dead flip consistently.

#8104 2 years ago

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna sell and make room for a tna v2…. When I go to my friends house I never can stop pressing start on tna… been having day dreams since mgc prototype :-p

#8105 2 years ago

Unusual Scoop:

yes

#8106 2 years ago

The original TNA used a knocker assemble to fire the scoop.

#8107 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

The original TNA used a knocker assemble to fire the scoop.

This is in fact true. I am impressed you remember this!
--Scott

#8108 2 years ago

The eject scoop is a normal eject scoop, but fun fact, I did engineer this scoop for Spooky Pinball and the design was first used in Dominos. It also is a modular design, meaning that it can be used in open back and closed back configurations with a change of just 1 piece.
--Scott

#8109 2 years ago

So, is adding a siren an option everyone has access to? Or was that just a one-off scenario?

#8110 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So, is adding a siren an option everyone has access to? Or was that just a one-off scenario?

You would need a 12V relay that activates a timer, and the timer of course.
The timer controls the Air Raid Siren On/Off and to set the duration of each spool-up/down times.

I used this One...
https://www.automation24.com/cyclic-timer-relay-selec-55xc-p8-cu?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MD0lKj_8wIVCaCzCh1EDgQjEAQYASABEgJo0vD_BwE

The modified game code uses the backbox light power circuit to control the 12V relay I added.
In Settings, you choose to use the new backbox light control feature to energize at a specific reactor.
I now use an alternate 12V power source for my actual backbox lights.

Get the code from Danesi site....get 12V relay, timer, siren. Enjoy!
I will probably add a fog machine too in the near future.

Scott Hudson

Code ver 1.4.1 is for this feature....
https://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=4056
I offered/paid Danesi some cash to make this for me, thinking nobody else would do it.
I do recommend it though for any TNA lover out there!
Once again, THANKS SCOTT!!

#8111 2 years ago

It's short notice, but join myself and Scott Danesi today at ~1:47pm eastern as pinball joins it's first charity speedrunning event! "Fast Pace for Head Space" benefiting Take This! I will be speedrunning 9 reactors on Total Nuclear Annihilation, and if we raise enough money we may even make some breakfast!

https://tiltify.com/+fast-pace-for-headspace/fast-pace-for-headspace

FJIMG_20211103_235258 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20211103_235258 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20211104_182323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20211104_182323 (resized).jpg
#8112 2 years ago

I'm a little behinds so I just watched this awesome 9-reactor run on VOD. Incredible work McSquid!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1197697670?t=04h29m08s

The campaign donation link is still live if anyone is so inclined: https://tiltify.com/+fast-pace-for-headspace/fast-pace-for-headspace

#8113 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

It's short notice, but join myself and Scott Danesi today at ~1:47pm eastern as pinball joins it's first charity speedrunning event! "Fast Pace for Head Space" benefiting Take This! I will be speedrunning 9 reactors on Total Nuclear Annihilation, and if we raise enough money we may even make some breakfast!
https://tiltify.com/+fast-pace-for-headspace/fast-pace-for-headspace
[quoted image][quoted image]

How did this go? I would like to see the archive. Did you post one? If so, link, please. Thanks.

Oops! Perhaps the link is right under my nose!

#8114 2 years ago

Pin Stadiums, anyone?

I'm just curious if anyone has/enjoys Pin Stadiums in his/her TNA.
I just watched the speed run stream and thought, gee, if only this game were easier to see!
I'm well aware that TNA has a legendary light show, but light shows and playfield illumination aren't the same thing. Does this playfield benefit from Pin Stadiums?

#8115 2 years ago

Pin Stadiums, anyone?
I'm just curious if anyone has/enjoys Pin Stadiums in his/her TNA.
I just watched the speed run stream and thought, gee, if only this game were easier to see!
I'm well aware that TNA has a legendary light show, but light shows and playfield illumination aren't the same thing. Does this playfield benefit from Pin Stadiums?

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Hey Scott,
This power supply is for a bunch of others who requested it as well. Nice job with PinStadium, but I definitely would not put it on TNA. This would water down the lighting effects that I worked very hard creating. Every GI and insert bulb in this game is individually computer controlled RGB and I do some really neat stuff with it.
--Scott

#8116 2 years ago

Is this the stock, white pop-bumper cap for TNA?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7444-W

It's the only plain white cap I could find, but the description reads, "for smaller pop bumper bodies."

#8117 2 years ago

I have Pinstadiums/DIY Pinstadiums in most of my pins, my TNA however remains OG.

#8118 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I have Pinstadiums/DIY Pinstadiums in most of my pins, my TNA however remains OG.

Same here. I play in a dark room. TNA needs no extra light. Many of my other games greatly benefit from the lights.

#8119 2 years ago

How did this go? I would like to see the archive. Did you post one? If so, link, please. Thanks.
Oops! Perhaps the link is right under my nose!

It went great! Hopefully we will have a better youtube archive later on, but for now the link MutterFudder posted is the best place to watch.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1197697670?t=04h29m08s

Run starts after introductions:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1197697670?t=04h39m53s

#8120 2 years ago

I had some audio issues with the single audio input to the amplifier, so got a 3.5mm to 2 RCA adapter and it fixed the issue. Then I was thinking I should split that 3.5 mm signal and run it to an external sub also. That seemed to work, so then I was thinking I should unplug the line running to the sub and just extend it another 15' to my surround receiver - that would have the entire basement bumping. But the problem is there's a significant delay in the music to the surround and it's also pretty quiet. Is this just signal loss in the longer run? Does this also explain the delay?
Not a big deal but I'm just wondering if someone with some more audio knowledge has some info. Thanks

#8121 2 years ago

I use pinstadiums on my tna

Quoted from THEFOZ:

I had some audio issues with the single audio input to the amplifier, so got a 3.5mm to 2 RCA adapter and it fixed the issue. Then I was thinking I should split that 3.5 mm signal and run it to an external sub also. That seemed to work, so then I was thinking I should unplug the line running to the sub and just extend it another 15' to my surround receiver - that would have the entire basement bumping. But the problem is there's a significant delay in the music to the surround and it's also pretty quiet. Is this just signal loss in the longer run? Does this also explain the delay?
Not a big deal but I'm just wondering if someone with some more audio knowledge has some info. Thanks

Works fine for me using my home theatre amp.
Posted a video the page before this.

#8122 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Air Raid Siren? I approve. Pinstadium? That might be a little over the top.

#8123 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Posted a video the page before this.

I did see that video, I think the difference is you run the audio directly to your receiver - mine is split and then run to the spooky amp and the receiver. My speakers /receiver are not in the same area as the game (20 feet away instead of 2 feet like yours). I'll give going directly to the receiver a shot, but even if it works would be weird without going back to the game for the cabinet speakers.

#8124 2 years ago

Can't Seat Coinbox in Cabinet:

Do I have it oriented right?
Also seem to be missing cabinet loop for the hair clip.
Are Spooky coinboxes unusual and I in fact have a Williams box or cover?

4E73F5A4-05E1-443B-ADF7-3AFD16F4A2E6 (resized).jpeg4E73F5A4-05E1-443B-ADF7-3AFD16F4A2E6 (resized).jpeg61A7EFDE-3A8D-44FD-8EB1-A53EBEA3F679 (resized).jpeg61A7EFDE-3A8D-44FD-8EB1-A53EBEA3F679 (resized).jpegCE2F994B-8B2B-42FF-8E2D-B5822B64228C (resized).jpegCE2F994B-8B2B-42FF-8E2D-B5822B64228C (resized).jpeg

#8125 2 years ago

Can't Seat Coinbox in Cabinet:
Do I have it oriented right?
Also seem to be missing cabinet loop for the hair clip.
Are Spooky coinboxes unusual and I in fact have a Williams box or cover?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You got your TNA, that is fantastic! How do you like it?

Do you have coin mechs in the game?

Coin mechs were around $400 extra, and generally, only operators purchased them.

If your game was originally purchased by a home user, it might not have had a coin box and it was added later.

#8126 2 years ago

Turn your coin box around, you have the lid on backwards.

#8127 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Turn your coin box around, you have the lid on backwards.

Tried both ways.
Still won't nest normally.
Coin door has coin mechs.
Cabinet has no loop.
I'm confused.
Haven't even plugged the game in.
Busy installing post-protector washers.
Also waiting for Cliffys.

#8128 2 years ago

Tried both ways.
Cabinet has no loop.
I'm confused.

What you have looks like the standard bally/williams cash box/cash box lid from pinball life. All good there.

You could take lid off and store it some where else, or not even put the coin box in the game. I don’t have a loop either. The coin box sans lid might be nice for storing spare rubbers, powerball(s), parts, etc.

I installed the cliffy’s as well, but might remove the scoop one. Ball can sometimes catch on it on the upper playfield.

Plug it in and start playing it!!!
44D8822E-1FDB-460F-9F1B-E45AC6CEB4A9 (resized).jpeg44D8822E-1FDB-460F-9F1B-E45AC6CEB4A9 (resized).jpeg

#8129 2 years ago

I bought the scoop Cliffy and a ball would get stuck on it at least once every single game. Just took it off the other day. I didn’t have wear there to begin with either, I just bought it because it was available.

#8130 2 years ago

Tried both ways.
Cabinet has no loop.
I'm confused.

You need to take the lid off of the coin box. Then turn the coin box 180 degrees. Put the lid back on so that the three slots are on the same side of the coin box that has the 45 degree angle. Then put the coin box, with the lid on correctly, into the game so that both the slots in the lid and the 45 degree angle on the coin box are both near the front of the game.

#8131 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

You would need a 12V relay that activates a timer, and the timer of course.
The timer controls the Air Raid Siren On/Off and to set the duration of each spool-up/down times.
I used this One...
https://www.automation24.com/cyclic-timer-relay-selec-55xc-p8-cu?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MD0lKj_8wIVCaCzCh1EDgQjEAQYASABEgJo0vD_BwE
The modified game code uses the backbox light power circuit to control the 12V relay I added.
In Settings, you choose to use the new backbox light control feature to energize at a specific reactor.
I now use an alternate 12V power source for my actual backbox lights.
Get the code from Danesi site....get 12V relay, timer, siren. Enjoy!
I will probably add a fog machine too in the near future.
Scott Hudson
Code ver 1.4.1 is for this feature....
https://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=4056
I offered/paid Danesi some cash to make this for me, thinking nobody else would do it.
I do recommend it though for any TNA lover out there!
Once again, THANKS SCOTT!!

Thank you for sharing. I would like to do the siren mod and not necessarily the surround speakers but I have a few questions and I’m a little intimidated by it. First of all the custom code is for version 1.41 and the latest code is 1.42. So you think Scott will eventually update the custom code to 1.42? Do you need an amp to do the siren mod or you just added the home amp for the surround speakers? The timer that you mentioned has pointy connections behind it(I’m noob in electronics) and what type of wire would I need to connect them and to which pointy connector would the wire go to? The relay has 4 wires connected to it and I’m not sure where exactly they are coming from. I’m assuming one is from the timer, the other 2 is from the back lights, and 2 from the siren? You said the back lights power up the siren so I need to add extra lights to back box since the current one might be turned off? Thanks

5AACF081-991E-4067-9D9A-4BD798C97E8B (resized).jpeg5AACF081-991E-4067-9D9A-4BD798C97E8B (resized).jpeg
#8132 2 years ago
Quoted from THEFOZ:

I did see that video, I think the difference is you run the audio directly to your receiver - mine is split and then run to the spooky amp and the receiver. My speakers /receiver are not in the same area as the game (20 feet away instead of 2 feet like yours). I'll give going directly to the receiver a shot, but even if it works would be weird without going back to the game for the cabinet speakers.

The delay is likely from internal processing of the audio in your AVR. Look for a mode called "Pure" or "Direct" that bypasses this processing.

#8133 2 years ago

Am I doing it right?

EE668ADA-BE96-4F31-AF44-FEB4605E51E3 (resized).jpegEE668ADA-BE96-4F31-AF44-FEB4605E51E3 (resized).jpeg
#8134 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Thank you for sharing. I would like to do the siren mod and not necessarily the surround speakers but I have a few questions and I’m a little intimidated by it. First of all the custom code is for version 1.41 and the latest code is 1.42. So you think Scott will eventually update the custom code to 1.42? Do you need an amp to do the siren mod or you just added the home amp for the surround speakers? The timer that you mentioned has pointy connections behind it(I’m noob in electronics) and what type of wire would I need to connect them and to which pointy connector would the wire go to? The relay has 4 wires connected to it and I’m not sure where exactly they are coming from. I’m assuming one is from the timer, the other 2 is from the back lights, and 2 from the siren? You said the back lights power up the siren so I need to add extra lights to back box since the current one might be turned off? Thanks [quoted image]

I guess a video would help.
I'll try to make One.

#8135 2 years ago
Quoted from THEFOZ:

I use the oem speakers in the head of TNA as main speakers.
I do NOT use that tiny crappy amp that is in the game.

So I do not have weird delay issues using Two different amps.

#8136 2 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

What you have looks like the standard bally/williams cash box/cash box lid from pinball life. All good there.
[quoted image]

I wish. I've tried all orientations of lid and bottom and the thing won't sit properly in the cabinet. It certainly wouldn't stay in position if the game were to be transported. I think it's weird that this game was ordered with coin mechs but no loop was installed in the cabinet to secure the coinbox.

Quoted from pickleric:

You could take lid off and store it some where else, or not even put the coin box in the game.
[quoted image]

I realize that, but to me a coinbox, if included, should be securable. It's as though Spooky tossed the coinbox in there because the customer had ordered the coin mechs, but then didn't think to truly install the coinbox in the cabinet.

#8137 2 years ago
Quoted from jonest3:

Am I doing it right?
[quoted image]

Did this happen during gameplay? I s'pose this would be impossible with a Cliffy.

#8138 2 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I bought the scoop Cliffy and a ball would get stuck on it at least once every single game.

Hmm. That sounds unacceptable. Clearly! I'm discouraged. Here I am waiting dutifully for my own Cliffy and I may end up installing it and then taking it out soon after!

#8139 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Ah! A rebel! I'm heartened to hear that a TNA owner dares to supplement the playfield lighting. I may try a set, too. Pin Stadiums can be attenuated all the way down to just 10%. At that level I don' foresee them "washing out" the hard-won lighting effects.

#8140 2 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

That's a helpful clip. Thanks! Your TNA is pink, all right! Whoa! Kind of refreshing to see a set of pink protectors when the green are so common.
Also, you seem to have filled your finished basement with pins. Like, you've squeezed them into *all* the rooms! Fun! Maybe your neighbors complain less with your uber-amplified pins below ground level. Good thinking!
One more thing:
You say you disabled your cabinet's sub and are using a floor-standing powered sub' instead. How challenging was it to wire that configuration? Is there a sub'-out jack on the game's audio board?

#8141 2 years ago

You say you disabled your cabinet's sub and are using a floor-standing powered sub' instead. How challenging was it to wire that configuration? Is there a sub'-out jack on the game's audio board?

There is an amp on the bottom of the cab. I ran an 8ft RCA from the audio out on the amp to the audio/source in on a Polk PSW-10. I ran it through the mesh on the back of the cab. It takes the game from a 10 to an 11.

#8142 2 years ago

Did this happen during gameplay? I s'pose this would be impossible with a Cliffy.

During gameplay yes. Went from awesome super FAST upper playfield multi ball action to…. Wth

One of those funny moments that makes pinball pinball.

#8143 2 years ago

I realize that, but to me a coinbox, if included, should be securable. It's as though Spooky tossed the coinbox in there because the customer had ordered the coin mechs, but then didn't think to truly install the coinbox in the cabinet.

You’re not wrong, but I wouldn’t OCD too much about it. I’d rock it with out the lid and focus on destroying reactors! Its a wonderful game, enjoy it!

#8144 2 years ago

There have been plenty of TNA's put on route with a coinbox.

As trilogybeer said, the slanted side needs to be towards the player, with the slotted holes in the lid over the slanted side of the box.

#8145 2 years ago

Hmm. That sounds unacceptable. Clearly! I'm discouraged. Here I am waiting dutifully for my own Cliffy and I may end up installing it and then taking it out soon after!

Yeah I know what you mean! I’m not sure if there’s a way to fix it so this doesn’t happen or not. It it’s simply getting stuck on the edge of the cliffy inside the reactor if traveling at low speed. I finally had enough and took it out. It was happening literally every single game.

#8146 2 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Yeah I know what you mean! I’m not sure if there’s a way to fix it so this doesn’t happen or not. It it’s simply getting stuck on the edge of the cliffy inside the reactor if traveling at low speed. I finally had enough and took it out. It was happening literally every single game.

This was happening to me almost every game as well. I cut that side off the cliffy and re-installed it so at least the front and left side of the scoop are protected.

#8147 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

This was happening to me almost every game as well. I cut that side off the cliffy and re-installed it so at least the front and left side of the scoop are protected.

That is a good idea. I pulled my cliffy last night, but this may be the way to go.

#8148 2 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I simply layered too small pieces of Mylar next the edge of the cliffy and on the playfield, creates a smooth transition and have not had an issue since

BF0FBDA2-DAC1-4AE0-B3E6-DBE15C01A3CC (resized).jpegBF0FBDA2-DAC1-4AE0-B3E6-DBE15C01A3CC (resized).jpeg
#8149 2 years ago

Coinbox photos (stern)
IMG-0427 (resized).jpegIMG-0427 (resized).jpegIMG-0428 (resized).jpegIMG-0428 (resized).jpeg

#8150 2 years ago

I am in the same boat as you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/163?hl=jonest3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.