(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg
20240310_214123 (resized).jpg
20240310_214158 (resized).jpg
20240310_214519 (resized).jpg
20240310_142704 (resized).jpg
IMG_3820 (resized).jpeg
20221212_214152 (resized).jpg
Untitled22ja112 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 239.
#7801 2 years ago

Just wanted to chime in to say I love the back story to how TNA came about, I love that Scott is active in this thread, and I hope to acquire one shortly after having a play recently.

Also, why doesn't any other manufacturer seem to take audio quality as seriously as Spooky? The sound system blew me away! I'm a bit of an audiophile and usually swap out speakers and connect my 18" sub to my pins, but this performs so well out of the box I was astounded. Well done Scott & Spooky!

#7802 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Just wanted to chime in to say I love the back story to how TNA came about, I love that Scott is active in this thread, and I hope to acquire one shortly after having a play recently.
Also, why doesn't any other manufacturer seem to take audio quality as seriously as Spooky? The sound system blew me away! I'm a bit of an audiophile and usually swap out speakers and connect my 18" sub to my pins, but this performs so well out of the box I was astounded. Well done Scott & Spooky!

Its secretly just a jukebox. TheNoTrashCougar tacked on a pinball game after the fact to increase the market size. Doesn't even have ramps <3

#7803 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Its secretly just a jukebox. TheNoTrashCougar tacked on a pinball game after the fact to increase the market size. Doesn't even have ramps <3

<runs and hides>

#7804 2 years ago

I’m going to assume that most of you upgraded to the green plastic protectors… or if you didn’t, you had the factory clear protectors from the start. But on the off chance that anyone needs a clear set of plastic protectors, I’m clearing out my closet and will give them for free if you pay shipping.

#7805 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I’m going to assume that most of you upgraded to the green plastic protectors… or if you didn’t, you had the factory clear protectors from the start. But on the off chance that anyone needs a clear set of plastic protectors, I’m clearing out my closet and will give them for free if you pay shipping.

PM coming your way

#7806 2 years ago

Joined the TNA club today with a beautiful butter cab example. This really is the future. I want all my games to have cabinets like this. TNA kicks my ass and I love that

#7807 2 years ago

Anyone looking to put their TNA on the market? I'm very interested, please send a pm.

#7808 2 years ago

Apologies if this question has been answered before or if it's dumb, but I've looked it up and can't figure it out. My TNA keeps crashing. It will sometimes seemingly randomly crash and say Input HDMI in the top right corner of the screen. Sometimes it will even say No Signal. At one point every time I pressed Start it would immediately crash and have to load before entering attract mode. Any time I pressed start it would crash again. The game stays on the entire time but the screen reboots. I turn the machine off and back on and it happens again. Sometimes after I turn it off and back on it plays fine for a few games but then will randomly crash again and the issues start all over again. The last time it happened it was right at the start of the 12th ball in multiplayer coop. Thanks in advance for any help. I have friends over and it's just a huge bummer. I just bought the machine this week so I'm a noobie with this one.

#7809 2 years ago
Quoted from ShowVideoGames:

Apologies if this question has been answered before or if it's dumb, but I've looked it up and can't figure it out. My TNA keeps crashing. It will sometimes seemingly randomly crash and say Input HDMI in the top right corner of the screen. Sometimes it will even say No Signal. At one point every time I pressed Start it would immediately crash and have to load before entering attract mode. Any time I pressed start it would crash again. The game stays on the entire time but the screen reboots. I turn the machine off and back on and it happens again. Sometimes after I turn it off and back on it plays fine for a few games but then will randomly crash again and the issues start all over again. The last time it happened it was right at the start of the 12th ball in multiplayer coop. Thanks in advance for any help. I have friends over and it's just a huge bummer. I just bought the machine this week so I'm a noobie with this one.

If it's just the screen restarting check the HDMI cable from the computer to the screen. (might be some conversion in there somewhere?) I don't own one but have played it and it sounds like your screen is just loosing signal. If it plays fine and the score displays work then its just a screen connection.

#7810 2 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

If it's just the screen restarting check the HDMI cable from the computer to the screen. (might be some conversion in there somewhere?) I don't own one but have played it and it sounds like your screen is just loosing signal. If it plays fine and the score displays work then its just a screen connection.

Yep, it sounds like a loose cable.

#7811 2 years ago

I finally pulled the trigger on the Pinball Life RGB LED updated Shoot Again Timer. Didn't include any instructions. Doesn't seem to fit in the game as-is. Looks like it will need new mounting holes in the playfield and the harness organizer post to be relocated for it to even fit the game? Saw someone made a different 3D printed bracket for it. I thought this would be drop in. What's everyone doing to install this straight?

#7812 2 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

I finally pulled the trigger on the Pinball Life RGB LED updated Shoot Again Timer. Didn't include any instructions. Doesn't seem to fit in the game as-is. Looks like it will need new mounting holes in the playfield and the harness organizer post to be relocated for it to even fit the game? Saw someone made a different 3D printed bracket for it. I thought this would be drop in. What's everyone doing to install this straight?

Here are the installation notes from the PBL website since the product is now NLA. It is pretty straight forward. There is nothing wrong with the included spacer, but some have 3d printed a different variant. You basically install it in the same place but have to make 2 new holes with 2 of the screws. No need to pre drill, just make sure the display is centered in the insert.

Installation Notes:
- This will only work as a replacement for the Shoot Again display between the flippers on TNA (1 per game).
- Make sure to peel the brown protective paper from the spacer before installation (if still applied).
- You may need to slightly move a wire ladder tree to fit the display under the playfield.
- You will reuse 2 of the screws from the original display to install the upgraded one.
- You must install Software version 1.4.0 or greater for the display to function properly.

#7813 2 years ago

I ordered the ball save digital counter upgrade , someone mentioned there’s a mounting bracket I might need for easier installation , can someone please point to the 3D printed part?

#7814 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Here are the installation notes from the PBL website since the product is now NLA. It is pretty straight forward. There is nothing wrong with the included spacer, but some have 3d printed a different variant. You basically install it in the same place but have to make 2 new holes with 2 of the screws. No need to pre drill, just make sure the display is centered in the insert.
Installation Notes:
- This will only work as a replacement for the Shoot Again display between the flippers on TNA (1 per game).
- Make sure to peel the brown protective paper from the spacer before installation (if still applied).
- You may need to slightly move a wire ladder tree to fit the display under the playfield.
- You will reuse 2 of the screws from the original display to install the upgraded one.
- You must install Software version 1.4.0 or greater for the display to function properly.

If anyone needs it, I redesigned the bracket for updated Shoot Again Timer mod so that it uses the included lasered plexi and only the original screws and NO need to make new holes in the playfield. Perfect fit on my game. STL file here. https://tinyurl.com/5xfcb566

#7816 2 years ago

If you're going the route of a 3D printed a mount for this, the one I posted doesn't need any extra hardware, or new holes in the pf, and you can't see it because the kit's black plexi piece is still used.

#7817 2 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

If you're going the route of a 3D printed a mount for this, the one I posted doesn't need any extra hardware, or new holes in the pf, and you can't see it because the kit's black plexi piece is still used.

Thank you for this

#7818 2 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

BTW, the problem apparently was the interconnector board in the back of the cabinet. Only 4.7V arrived in the backbox while the power supply provided 5.3V.
A little wiggling on the respective header brought the voltage in the backbox back to 5.1V which is what´s required according to Spooky support.
Just in case anybody else runs into reset problems.
On another note: I haven´t read thorugh the whole thread, but are there any recommendations to reduce bounces from the left scoop. On my machine I get like 70% bounceouts when I hit that scoop. It´s kind of frustrating.....

Having a similar issue here. Can you help me figure out which header it is?

1 week later
#7819 2 years ago

Hey fellow TNA-ers!

Got a head-scratching issue with my TNA. Every so often, Opto 1 will trigger. It is highly intermittent. This has happened mid-game, causing locks to mess up and also during attract mode, where it will rifle through the lock drops. I have tried reflowing the connectors which fixed the issue for a couple days, but now it's back! I've also tried cleaning the optos.

Should I just order some new optos or is there some wiring troubles I should be looking at under the hood? (or something else I've missed).

Cheers,
Vic.

#7820 2 years ago

Get your phone out and with the glass off the game use the camera to check out the transmitters sides LED's. The camera will show the IR light.

Compare with the others should show you which ones are on, or not.

The transmitters should all be on when the game is running, at all times.

If you thump the playfield a bit to make some vibrations and any of these flicker, that will be your problem.

Look for a badly made or loose punchdown in a connector where the TX LED connects to the PC board screwed to the bottom of the playfield, or somewhere in that circuit. Also recievers can have a similar issue if there are partly made punchdowns in the IDC housings.

#7821 2 years ago
Quoted from psychosoda:

Hey fellow TNA-ers!
Got a head-scratching issue with my TNA. Every so often, Opto 1 will trigger. It is highly intermittent. This has happened mid-game, causing locks to mess up and also during attract mode, where it will rifle through the lock drops. I have tried reflowing the connectors which fixed the issue for a couple days, but now it's back! I've also tried cleaning the optos.
Should I just order some new optos or is there some wiring troubles I should be looking at under the hood? (or something else I've missed).
Cheers,
Vic.

Change the IDC connectors on the opto harness to crimped connectors and you will be good.
--Scott

#7822 2 years ago

I saw a post on FB where someone had pink plastic protectors on the lower and green on the upper.
Can’t find it now.
If that person is on here - pls post a pic
Thanks!

#7823 2 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I saw a post on FB where someone had pink plastic protectors on the lower and green on the upper.
Can’t find it now.
Thanks!

This is not it but its how I have mine set up. I did change the slings from red/pink to green.

IMG_1149 (resized).JPGIMG_1149 (resized).JPG
#7824 2 years ago

Here is how ours is currently setup. Only have the pink on the slings.

IMG_7250 (resized).jpgIMG_7250 (resized).jpg
#7825 2 years ago

I have the same issue as psychosoda with Opto 1 triggering intermittently.

Change the IDC connectors on the opto harness to crimped connectors and you will be good.
--Scott

As TNA is my first pin, and I've not changed IDC connectors before, can anyone point me to any further information, such as which crimped connectors (size, manufacturer etc..) and which crimping tool (assuming I need one)? Also any relevant instructions/advice please?

I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.

Many thanks for any information.

#7826 2 years ago
Quoted from C_n_C:

I have the same issue as psychosoda with Opto 1 triggering intermittently.

As TNA is my first pin, and I've not changed IDC connectors before, can anyone point me to any further information, such as which crimped connectors (size, manufacturer etc..) and which crimping tool (assuming I need one)? Also any relevant instructions/advice please?
I'm in the UK if it makes any difference.
Many thanks for any information.

This post shows you exactly what you need!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/134#post-5627687

#7828 2 years ago

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this pinball machine. Owning a Total Nuclear Annihilation is now one of my life goals. When I accomplish a personal achievement that I have set for myself, I plan to celebrate by purchasing a TNA machine. Hopefully, my achievement will align with Spooky doing another production run.

#7829 2 years ago

Thanks joelbob and TheNoTrashCougar . I'm new-ish to the hobby as well so some of the terminology flies over my head sometimes.

It's been 5 days with about 20+ plays and it hasn't triggered it again, so it's super intermittent. Will still look into some tools and order it all though I reckon, for when I'm sure it will inevitably return!

#7830 2 years ago
Quoted from psychosoda:

Thanks joelbob and TheNoTrashCougar . I'm new-ish to the hobby as well so some of the terminology flies over my head sometimes.
It's been 5 days with about 20+ plays and it hasn't triggered it again, so it's super intermittent. Will still look into some tools and order it all though I reckon, for when I'm sure it will inevitably return!

Yeah, just follow the wires back from the optos to a little black board called the opto power board. The 2 pin (.156 pitch) connector attaching the opto harness to the board is most likely flaky. If you replace these connectors with Trifurcon Crimp and Stuff connectors, it will be 100% reliable.

Again, here are the Trifurcon terminals:
https://www.pinballlife.com/156-trifurcon-crimp-terminals.html

And here are all the different sized connectors:
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Crimp%20%26%20Stuff

Crimp Tool:
https://www.pinballlife.com/ratcheting-crimp-tool.html

I really recommend that once you get comfortable with crimping these terminals on, that you do it for all of the optos in the game. It will help greatly. Good news is that Spooky is going to use these crimp style connectors going forward, so that is great news. These IDC connectors suck.

--Scott

#7831 2 years ago

Yeah, just follow the wires back from the optos to a little black board called the opto power board. The 2 pin (.156 pitch) connector attaching the opto harness to the board is most likely flaky. If you replace these connectors with Trifurcon Crimp and Stuff connectors, it will be 100% reliable.
Again, here are the Trifurcon terminals:
https://www.pinballlife.com/156-trifurcon-crimp-terminals.html
And here are all the different sized connectors:
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Crimp%20%26%20Stuff
Crimp Tool:
https://www.pinballlife.com/ratcheting-crimp-tool.html
I really recommend that once you get comfortable with crimping these terminals on, that you do it for all of the optos in the game. It will help greatly. Good news is that Spooky is going to use these crimp style connectors going forward, so that is great news. These IDC connectors suck.
--Scott

Just a quick update - I've ordered a whole bunch of the terminals and connectors along with a reasonable crimp tool. As shipping and import taxes can be a bit of a lottery, being in the UK, the following are links for these - the 0.156 (inch) pitch equivalent in the UK is 3.96mm.

Terminals: Molex KK 396 Trifurcon female crimp terminal.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-contacts/6794723/

2 way connector: Molex, KK 396 Female Connector Housing, 3.96mm Pitch, 2 Way
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6795066/

4 way connector: Molex, KK 396 Female Connector Housing, 3.96mm Pitch, 4 Way
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6795072/

Reasonable quality crimp tool - AWG 18 - AWG 26 1.6mm - 2.5mm £40
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Universal-Crimping-Japan-ENGINEER/dp/B002L6HJ8W/ref=psdc_1938873031_t3_B07F2W9XSM

Similar quality crimp too with changeable dies covering 0.7mm-3.1mm £112
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F2W9XSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The genuine Molex crimp tool is £345 including taxes!
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/6634246/

Once I've practised crimping and sorted the intermittent Opto on the 1st drop target, I'm going to replace all the other opto IDC connectors with crimped ones as recommended.

#7832 2 years ago
Quoted from C_n_C:

Just a quick update - I've ordered a whole bunch of the terminals and connectors along with a reasonable crimp tool. As shipping and import taxes can be a bit of a lottery, being in the UK, the following are links for these - the 0.156 (inch) pitch equivalent in the UK is 3.96mm.
Terminals: Molex KK 396 Trifurcon female crimp terminal.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-contacts/6794723/
2 way connector: Molex, KK 396 Female Connector Housing, 3.96mm Pitch, 2 Way
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6795066/
4 way connector: Molex, KK 396 Female Connector Housing, 3.96mm Pitch, 4 Way
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6795072/
Reasonable quality crimp tool - AWG 18 - AWG 26 1.6mm - 2.5mm £40
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Universal-Crimping-Japan-ENGINEER/dp/B002L6HJ8W/ref=psdc_1938873031_t3_B07F2W9XSM
Similar quality crimp too with changeable dies covering 0.7mm-3.1mm £112
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F2W9XSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The genuine Molex crimp tool is £345 including taxes!
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/6634246/
Once I've practised crimping and sorted the intermittent Opto on the 1st drop target, I'm going to replace all the other opto IDC connectors with crimped ones as recommended.

Great post and good looking out for the overseas people. Can we tag these as key posts? Who has the ability to do that?
--Scott

#7833 2 years ago

Having some drop target issues.

#1: operates and works exceptionally, no problems ever.

#2: will operate fine in the drop target test mode once or twice, and then will immediately stop firing for the knockdown, no noise or anything from the solenoid, the reset still activates. This causes balls to get stuck after a game is completed with a locked ball still there, and in turn cause a never ending pinball search because the game wont drop the second target. If I leave it in drop target test mode long enough, it will randomly register a #2 knockdown, it could be every five cycles, every 10, sometimes won't do it for upwards of 20 cycles and then will randomly just drop fine once and then continue the lack of response indefinitely. I assume this must be an electrical issue? Switch responds perfectly fine it test mode, and all optos are aligned and responding perfectly.

#3: Won't drop, definitely mechanical as the game will still fire the solenoid for both the knockdown and the reset, but target will not drop. Drops perfectly fine if you manually hit it with a ball, but the solenoid will not knock it down no matter how long in test mode. With game off i can press down on the metal plate that the mini solenoid pulls in to activate the brass arm everrrr so slightly and it will drop the target, but when the solenoid is activating and seemingly hitting the target with more force, it does not drop. Tried bumping up the solenoid power to no avail.

Would very much appreciate any info on either of these issues, i have tried readjusting both microswitches by adjusting the screws that hold it to the frame and troubleshooting it at every possible angle/tightness/looseness and it makes no difference.

Thanks!!!

#7834 2 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Can’t find it now.
Thanks!

Here.

00D01A41-0D86-4380-91A5-B70295EA5493 (resized).jpeg00D01A41-0D86-4380-91A5-B70295EA5493 (resized).jpegE54BB259-0F31-44BF-B804-8C6A446C0946 (resized).jpegE54BB259-0F31-44BF-B804-8C6A446C0946 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7835 2 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the club!
Does anybody have any LCD display settings to make the screen look more rich? And where do you go to change those settings? Also, are there any better lcd displays that people have swapped in to replace the original?

I have the kit for the illuminated drop targets. However, I don’t have instructions on how to install. Anybody have anything?
Thank you!

#7836 2 years ago

On the back of the display panel are controls similar to a telly. 4 buttons two of which are up/down +/-.

Set the brightness way down and the contrast way up and turn "gamma" to On.

This will make alot of difference.

#7837 2 years ago

Thank you!!!

#7838 2 years ago

Anyone know if I could power an led strip from the usb in the backbox? Or would that be bad? 0.5 amps.

#7839 2 years ago
Quoted from THEFOZ:

Anyone know if I could power an led strip from the usb in the backbox? Or would that be bad? 0.5 amps.

bad idea, use an accessory board

#7840 2 years ago

Just joined the club! Finding a really nice TNA without breaking the bank wasn’t easy, but I eventually traded for this one. I decided I had to have one after playing Scott head-to-head on his machine this spring! Can’t wait to play co-op mode with some friends. Awesome machine!

146C9ADA-AB68-4FE4-9633-966F86BB2500 (resized).jpeg146C9ADA-AB68-4FE4-9633-966F86BB2500 (resized).jpegAE4B22AF-9D3D-4D25-9F93-4BC45635DBD6 (resized).jpegAE4B22AF-9D3D-4D25-9F93-4BC45635DBD6 (resized).jpeg
#7841 2 years ago

Ohhhhh real smart strategy by Scott. Invite people over to play his game to drive demand up. I see what he's doing!!

#7842 2 years ago

Question, is this long, blue plastic piece in the back of the playfield obtainable anywhere? Mine has a chipped corner. A new one would be great. Anyone know? Thanks!

6304EEA6-5BC0-4BD9-B900-B913628758F8 (resized).jpeg6304EEA6-5BC0-4BD9-B900-B913628758F8 (resized).jpeg
#7843 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Question, is this long, blue plastic piece in the back of the playfield obtainable anywhere? Mine has a chipped corner. A new one would be great. Anyone know? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Send an email to Spooky. I have bought some back up parts for ACNC recently. They might have a few laying around.

#7844 2 years ago

Any suggestions if balls are getting hung up in the drop target area? Perhaps the game isn't pitched steeply enough? Is there a recommended pitch?

#7845 2 years ago

I think you can adjust the height of the drops.

#7846 2 years ago

Yes, adjust the height of the drops so that the tops of the drops are flush with the playfield. You'll probably have to take the large plastic that covers the lock lane off in order to get a feel of where the drops are sitting. Not too bad of an adjustment.

#7847 2 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

I think you can adjust the height of the drops.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes, adjust the height of the drops so that the tops of the drops are flush with the playfield. You'll probably have to take the large plastic that covers the lock lane off in order to get a feel of where the drops are sitting. Not too bad of an adjustment.

These are both correct! Also run teh drop target test int eh service mode if you think the drops are not operating properly.
--Scott

#7848 2 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

Any suggestions if balls are getting hung up in the drop target area? Perhaps the game isn't pitched steeply enough? Is there a recommended pitch?

All above are correct. I just replaced the 3 stock black drops with 3 translucent ones and there is a screw/bolt that you turn under each drop that sets the resting (down) position level. Mine were slightly below the pf, which can hang up the ball and cause the edge to wear. Just turn the screw with one hand while you have your other hand on top of the drop and you can make it flush.

#7849 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Send an email to Spooky. I have bought some back up parts for ACNC recently. They might have a few laying around.

Thanks!

#7850 2 years ago

Hi guys,

What mod could I get for TNA?

I have the pop bumper mod
Yellow plastics

Anything else?

Any links?

Thx

Stef

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 11,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/157?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.