(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,939 posts
  • 768 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,939 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 239.
#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

I have that mod and mine does not do that. I wish I could help. Sounds like a ground issue.

Agreed. Mine doesn’t do that either.

#7602 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Anyone got the lighted side rail mod? Does yours make a high pitch sound? I got a replacement but still having sound coming from the leds and a little disappointed and was wondering if I can try to do anything else to cut out the interference. The leds have a constant sound and it gets louder when I attach the rails.

Yeah mine did that, but not noticeable once installed. Idk, can hear it if I sort of listen for it, or in a "hear a pin drop" sound environment, but not loud like the fan. It's due to the HV AC akaik.

Can't notice it when playing at all, even with the volume low. I thought it was just intrinsic characteristics.

Anyway....

#7603 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Anyone got the lighted side rail mod? Does yours make a high pitch sound? I got a replacement but still having sound coming from the leds and a little disappointed and was wondering if I can try to do anything else to cut out the interference. The leds have a constant sound and it gets louder when I attach the rails.

Mine makes a high pitch sound as well

#7604 3 years ago

I opened the inverter and the capacitor was disconnected/blown. They are sending me a replacement inverter and hopefully it takes care of the noise issue.

D6785EFD-A6B4-4FFD-84C2-2E693AFDDD31 (resized).jpegD6785EFD-A6B4-4FFD-84C2-2E693AFDDD31 (resized).jpeg
#7605 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I opened the inverter and the capacitor was disconnected/blown. They are sending me a replacement inverter and hopefully it takes care of the noise issue.
[quoted image]

Oh? Maybe I’ll have to tear into mine and see if it did the same. Keep us posted

#7606 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm installing a few mods on my TNA and got to the new/updated "shoot again" timer display sold at PBL. Upon pulling the old display and attempting to mount the new display with the provided smoked plastic bracket, I saw immediate room for improvement in how the new display could fit.

As this kit comes from PBL, I had to create 2 new screwholes in the underside of the playfield to mount the display using the 2 bottom holes in the new board (the smoked plastic covers the two top holes). Once fitted to the playfield using just those two screws, the display was sitting at a definite angle and just didn't look right at all.

Full disclosure - I started with the base design of the bracket that comes with the kit and made some improvements on it to to accommodate the changes I wanted to see.

So, I fired up Fusion 360 and came up with this improved mounting bracket:

Screenshot 2021-01-27 163409 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2021-01-27 163409 (resized).jpg

First up, it will allow you to secure the top of the new board to the mounting bracket, and provides ears on each side to re-use the 2 "lower" screw holes from the factory installation and then utilizes the 2 new screw holes you'll have to make to install the new display.

I wound up using two #6-32 black anodized screws for the front and nuts on the rear to secure the top of the display to the new mounting bracket. That way the display will sit flat in the new bracket and you won't see those two fasteners when looking down at the display from the topside of the playfield:

IMG_2424 (resized).jpgIMG_2424 (resized).jpg

After installing the 4 machine screws used to mount the original bracket, I now have a nice and clean install that is perfectly flat and secures the new display exactly as the old display (never mind the black line.. I drew it to center the new display with the new bracket to the playfield).

IMG_2426 (resized).JPGIMG_2426 (resized).JPG

If anyone is interested in doing the same, I uploaded the STL to Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4740159

I printed mine with PLA+ at a 50% infill (for stiffness), but print it to your specs, as the model doesn't depend on anything special in that regard.

Hopefully someone else will find use of it!

#7607 3 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Hi everyone, I'm installing a few mods on my TNA and got to the new/updated "shoot again" timer display sold at PBL. Upon pulling the old display and attempting to mount the new display with the provided smoked plastic bracket, I saw immediate room for improvement in how the new display could fit.
As this kit comes from PBL, I had to create 2 new screwholes in the underside of the playfield to mount the display using the 2 bottom holes in the new board (the smoked plastic covers the two top holes). Once fitted to the playfield using just those two screws, the display was sitting at a definite angle and just didn't look right at all.
So, I fired up my Fusion 360 and came up with this new mounting bracket:
[quoted image]
It allows for you to secure the top of the new board to the new mounting bracket, and provides ears on each side to re-use the 2 "lower" screw holes from the factory installation and then utilizes the 2 new screw holes you'll have to make to install the new display.
I wound up using two #6-32 black anodized screws for the front and nuts on the rear to secure the top of the display to the new mounting bracket. That way the display will sit flat in the new bracket and you won't see those two fasteners when looking down at the display from the topside of the playfield:
[quoted image]
After installing the 4 machine screws used to mount the original bracket, I now have a nice and clean install that is perfectly flat and secures the new display exactly as the old display (never mind the black line.. I drew it to center the new display with the new bracket to the playfield).
[quoted image]
If anyone is interested in doing the same, I uploaded the STL to Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4740159
I printed mine with PLA+ at a 50% infill (for stiffness), but print it to your specs, as the model doesn't depend on anything special in that regard.

Awesome! I’ll be printing one of these! Thank you!!

#7608 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Awesome! I’ll be printing one of these! Thank you!!

27dnast - fantastic! I hope it works out well for you. The model on Thingiverse is my 9th revision from where I started, so I really tried to make sure everything lined up well. The dual 7-digit display cutout is a tight fit, so you may have to trim the printed model ever-so-slightly with a razor blade depending upon how you have your printer set up. One tip - install the display into the bracket from straight overhead - not at an angle.

I was able to print and the display snapped right in, but YMMV.

Please let me know how you make out.

#7609 3 years ago
Quoted from Joey_Bada_Bing:

Oh? Maybe I’ll have to tear into mine and see if it did the same. Keep us posted

I received an inverter replacement. Sounds is still there and annoying. I don't recommend the lighted side rails unless someone can figure out how to reduce or get rid of the noise.

#7610 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I received an inverter replacement. Sounds is still there and annoying. I don't recommend the lighted side rails unless someone can figure out how to reduce or get rid of the noise.

Dimming the lights reduced the noise for me. I assumed it would affect the brightness, but not really. Still bright enough to make the mod worthy.

#7611 3 years ago

Has anyone hooked up a powered sub to TNA? If so, how did you do it?

#7612 3 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Has anyone hooked up a powered sub to TNA? If so, how did you do it?

This is how I did it. The video screen has a stereo cable that goes into the cabinet amp. Get a 3.5mm stereo jack splitter, a long audio cable with a male end to connect to the splitter on the video screen and whatever connection your sub needs. I ended up getting a 3.5mm to RCA connector to plug into external sub. I just ran the wire out of the machine to the holes located in the backbox I believe. I'm not by the machine but there should be some mesh holes you can lead the wire out without drilling anything.

#7613 3 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar A Price Is Right mode where the displays are all turned off until after the game is over and then it shows the score. Everyone can try and get a certain score without going over and they won't know their current score until the game is done.

#7614 3 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

thenotrashcougar A Price Is Right mode where the displays are all turned off until after the game is over and then it shows the score. Everyone can try and get a certain score without going over and they won't know their current score until the game is done.

There's a simple way to make this mode yourself if you want this feature:

Tape over the displays.

#7615 3 years ago

I had a great time interviewing Scott where we went quite deep into the design of TNA from concept to production. It was a great time! Feel free to give it a listen.

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-3fc6a-f935e7

Just Another Pinball Podcast Episode 20: A Chat With Scott Danesi
Host: Joel Engelberth
Special Guest: Pinball Designer Scott Danesi
In this episode, the gentlemen have an in-depth discussion on the design of TNA from start to finish. Even 1.5 year olds like the TNA music:

email: [email protected]
stream: twitch.tv/justanotherpinballstream

jap_square3 (resized).pngjap_square3 (resized).png
#7616 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

There's a simple way to make this mode yourself if you want this feature:

Tape over the displays.

for sure. lol We have a set of cardboard sitting on the table next to the lineup just for this. If we could do it via a flipper combination or in menu my life would be about 1% easier. TheNoTrashCougar probably has enough to do already without worrying about this. Just tossing out an idea.

#7617 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I had a great time interviewing Scott where we went quite deep into the design of TNA from concept to production. It was a great time! Feel free to give it a listen.
https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-3fc6a-f935e7
Just Another Pinball Podcast Episode 20: A Chat With Scott Danesi
Host: Joel Engelberth
Special Guest: Pinball Designer Scott Danesi
In this episode, the gentlemen have an in-depth discussion on the design of TNA from start to finish. Even 1.5 year olds like the TNA music:
email: [email protected]
stream: twitch.tv/justanotherpinballstream
[quoted image]

Great listen - thoughtful questions, insightful answers!

#7618 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Great listen - thoughtful questions, insightful answers!

Thank you! I really appreciate that.

#7619 3 years ago

So, my 6 year old has started to enjoy hitting all the flipper buttons in attract mode to see what they say. What does TNA say? Nothing! Shouldn't it scream LIONMAN?

#7620 3 years ago

I think a robot voice should synthesize 'lionman' at different octives when you hit the left and right flipper buttons

#7621 3 years ago

Does anyone have mirror blades they'd be willing to part with? If so PM me, thanks

#7622 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Does anyone have mirror blades they'd be willing to part with? If so PM me, thanks

Check with Spooky or Pinball Life

#7623 3 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

So, my 6 year old has started to enjoy hitting all the flipper buttons in attract mode to see what they say. What does TNA say? Nothing! Shouldn't it scream LIONMAN?

Probably

#7624 3 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

TheNoTrashCougar I have a code enhancement idea. Put in high score places for 2/3/4 player co-op modes (and one for overall co-op). Instead of high score holder for just co-op (regardless of number of players.) That would give competition for those that may play 2/3 player co-op to stand a chance to make a high score.
Thanks for considering.

TheNoTrashCougar
I thought of another code enhancement. (for all I know there is already something there for this... my skillshots need work.) I know you are looking for more things to add to the reboot/2.0.

There are two skill shots in the game currently.
1) White letter in C-O-R-E when flipper buttons don't move the light (I'll call this Super Skillshot; not sure if this is called something specific already)
2) Yellow letter in C-O-R-E when you use flipper buttons to move the light to line up with ball (I'll call this Skillshot; ditto)

If you make these on consecutive balls it would create Super Skillshot Combo or a Skillshot Combo.
Could be done a couple of ways:
- Scores a bonus for consecutive Super Skillshots (2x for two in a row; 3x for 3 in a row; 4x; etc) Maybe have the number of times you complete it consecutively be the multiplier of the bonus. If you miss one it resets to zero.
- Scores a (smaller) bonus for consecutive Skillshots.
- Case would need to be addressed if you have a mix of Skillshot(s) and Super Skillshot(s)

Would have a call-out for 2x (Super) Skillshot Combo ... Then one for 3x (Super) Skillshot Combo ... 4x ...
If you get 3 in a row it should be called 3x (Super) Skillshot Turkey (bowling reference)... or not.

Not sure what an appropriate bonus should be to maintain balance in the game but you probably have a better idea. If you get 3 in a row maybe an extra ball?

I thought it would be a neat way to reward skillshots hit multiple times in a row. Which is probably really difficult. If the Skillshot (where you move the light) is too easy for players just do this for the Super Skillshot. (would also take the mixed cases out of the picture)

Just another idea. Still loving the game and the work you put into this!

#7625 3 years ago

Does that kit come with a smoked plastic? I didn't see it in the photos.

#7626 3 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

thenotrashcougar
I thought of another code enhancement. (for all I know there is already something there for this... my skillshots need work.) I know you are looking for more things to add to the reboot/2.0.
1) White letter in C-O-R-E when flipper buttons don't move the light (I'll call this Super Skillshot; not sure if this is called something specific already)
2) Yellow letter in C-O-R-E when you use flipper buttons to move the light to line up with ball (I'll call this Skillshot; ditto)
If you make these on consecutive balls it would create Super Skillshot Combo or a Skillshot Combo.
- Scores a bonus for consecutive Super Skillshots (2x for two in a row; 3x for 3 in a row; 4x; etc) Maybe have the number of times you complete it consecutively be the multiplier of the bonus. If you miss one it resets to zero.
- Case would need to be addressed if you have a mix of Skillshot(s) and Super Skillshot(s)
Would have a call-out for 2x (Super) Skillshot Combo ... Then one for 3x (Super) Skillshot Combo ... 4x ...
If you get 3 in a row it should be called 3x (Super) Skillshot Turkey (bowling reference)... or not.
Not sure what an appropriate bonus should be to maintain balance in the game but you probably have a better idea. If you get 3 in a row maybe an extra ball?
I thought it would be a neat way to reward skillshots hit multiple times in a row. Which is probably really difficult. If the Skillshot (where you move the light) is too easy for players just do this for the Super Skillshot. (would also take the mixed cases out of the picture)

3) There is also the "secret" skill shot ... right flipper only, launch full orbit and dead bounce from left flipper, right into locks.

#7628 3 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

thenotrashcougar

Definitely some neat ideas. I could add a skillshot multiplier if you can stack them, I don't see any harm in that. Putting this multiplier on the Super Secret Skillshot could be somewhat of a tournament exploit. I will have to have Bowen analyze it and make sure I am not giving too much of an advantage to someone that can hit the SSSS on every ball. Thank you!
--Scott

#7629 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Definitely some neat ideas. I could add a skillshot multiplier if you can stack them, I don't see any harm in that. Putting this multiplier on the Super Secret Skillshot could be somewhat of a tournament exploit. I will have to have Bowen analyze it and make sure I am not giving too much of an advantage to someone that can hit the SSSS on every ball. Thank you!
--Scott

Maybe you can shorten the restart sequence at the same time

#7630 3 years ago

OK, that's what I was looking at but didn't see anything about the smoked plastic.

#7631 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Thank you! I really appreciate that.

Really hoping you play TNA on tonights stream. The podcast had me damn excited to revisit this pin. I have banged on it a bit at the local pinball museum but really haven't explored it enough.

Great stuff

#7632 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Really hoping you play TNA on tonights stream. The podcast had me damn excited to revisit this pin. I have banged on it a bit at the local pinball museum but really haven't explored it enough.
Great stuff

Haha. I wasn’t planning on it but I will now!

#7633 3 years ago

I just got the game, and was able to finish it but really thought it was missing a cool final video sequence. I would also like to see the story behind TNA. At the start be nice to setup the game in attract mode and tell the story of why you are destroying the reactors. If you manage to complete it there should be a major explosion and a race to get to out of there on the video or something, then it would be cool to show all of the credits kind of like those old school video games. Then you finally get to put your name in. I was left feeling great I beat it, here is my speed records and a high score but really wanting more. Instead of man I want to play this again so I can get that awesome gratification and cool end game sequence. Otherwise everything else in the game is really fun.

#7634 3 years ago

Full disclosure - I started with the base design of the bracket that comes with the kit and made some improvements on it to to accommodate the changes I wanted to see.
So, I fired up Fusion 360 and came up with this improved mounting bracket:
[quoted image]
First up, it will allow you to secure the top of the new board to the mounting bracket, and provides ears on each side to re-use the 2 "lower" screw holes from the factory installation and then utilizes the 2 new screw holes you'll have to make to install the new display.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Mine looks a tad different any thoughts?

FD24885C-959E-4474-B455-DEF9A7F5696C (resized).jpegFD24885C-959E-4474-B455-DEF9A7F5696C (resized).jpeg
#7635 3 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Does that kit come with a smoked plastic? I didn't see it in the photos.

audihere - it does. The issue (as I saw it) is that the smoked plexi only has two mounting holes exposed and covers the other two on the new display, thus forcing the entire assembly to be “pinched” when tightened down and the result is the entire display+bracket sits at an angle and under pressure when installed. I don’t think it would be detrimental to operation - I mainly wanted to “flatten” it back out and get the display hugged up to the playfield proper.

#7636 3 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Mine looks a tad different any thoughts?[quoted image]

c818919taylor - you need to remove the screw holding that tree support and position the support lower and then flip the bracket face over *180 and it will fit as shown in my photos.

I think the included instructions (or maybe another post in this thread, I can’t recall right off) mentions the need to reposition that tree support due to the difference in shapes between the old display and the new display.

#7637 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I just got the game, and was able to finish it but really thought it was missing a cool final video sequence. I would also like to see the story behind TNA. At the start be nice to setup the game in attract mode and tell the story of why you are destroying the reactors. If you manage to complete it there should be a major explosion and a race to get to out of there on the video or something, then it would be cool to show all of the credits kind of like those old school video games. Then you finally get to put your name in. I was left feeling great I beat it, here is my speed records and a high score but really wanting more. Instead of man I want to play this again so I can get that awesome gratification and cool end game sequence. Otherwise everything else in the game is really fun.

There is a major explosion. What's this about "getting out of there" though?

#7638 3 years ago

I probably don’t really know about the backstory of the game, I was thinking like a old school cartoon movie sequence where you are on a mission to destroy the reactors from the evil mind master, you are successful in setting off the chain reaction, you save the day and you race out of the facility just in time to save your own life. Maybe I am off base I watch a ton of movies and just think that I just didn’t get the full story around this game by progressing through it. It is easier with licensed themes as most of us already know the movie, music or tv show. The only areas I found a bit lacking was theme integration and animation otherwise this game is simply outstanding.

Quoted from bkerins:

There is a major explosion. What's this about "getting out of there" though?

#7639 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I probably don’t really know about the backstory of the game, I was thinking like a old school cartoon movie sequence where you are on a mission to destroy the reactors from the evil mind master, you are successful in setting off the chain reaction, you save the day and you race out of the facility just in time to save your own life. Maybe I am off base I watch a ton of movies and just think that I just didn’t get the full story around this game by progressing through it. It is easier with licensed themes as most of us already know the movie, music or tv show. The only areas I found a bit lacking was theme integration and animation otherwise this game is simply outstanding.

There is no getting out. If you succeed and make it through all the reactors you destroy the entire island and everything on it including yourself.

#7640 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

There is no getting out. If you succeed and make it through all the reactors you destroy the entire island and everything on it including yourself.

SPOILER!!! Welp...guess I can sell mine now.

#7641 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

SPOILER!!! Welp...guess I can sell mine now.

Sorry, I think I owe you at least 2 beers now.

#7642 3 years ago

You always fail, even if you win.
Super meta, super cool.

#7643 3 years ago

Ah okay makes sense with just the explosion and the abrupt ending. In essence the entire game is a suicide mission to save the world. I guess I was just expecting a final sequence with the chain reaction of the 9 reactors then a blow up scene. Thanks for the explanation! Would be nice in attract mode to flush out a bit of that story of why I am pressing start to save the world from TNA. Either way as far as gameplay goes pretty damn good, and good risk reward on maxing out your reactors, destroying them in multiball, etc. There was some nice code depth there to give a player a number of choices for sure. Now if you are just playing for reactors it doesn’t matter and trying to finish the game but for a competitive player there is some great decision making through the game which I do appreciate.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

#7644 3 years ago

c818919taylor - you need to remove the screw holding that tree support and position the support lower and then flip the bracket face over *180 and it will fit as shown in my photos.
I think the included instructions (or maybe another post in this thread, I can’t recall right off) mentions the need to reposition that tree support due to the difference in shapes between the old display and the new display.

Excellent mod. Can it be done to the one in the reactor? Thanks for the help.

#7645 3 years ago

Is there a reason I can’t find mirror blades for tna? Spooky, coin taker, and pinball life doesn’t sell them.

#7646 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Is there a reason I can’t find mirror blades for tna? Spooky, coin taker, and pinball life doesn’t sell them.

when I bought my ACNC, I had requested mirror blades. They reached out to me and told me the laser machine they use to cut the blades had broken... and that they'd been having trouble with it when cutting blades. They pretty much said they didn't think they were going to make any more. If Spooky also cut those TNA blades... that could be your reason.

Not sure if they every fixed the issue.

#7647 3 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Excellent mod. Can it be done to the one in the reactor? Thanks for the help.

Thank you @c818919taylor, glad it's working for you! I'm not sure about the question above... TheNoTrashCougar are there plans for a timer display upgrade for the reactor counter as well?

#7648 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I would email Pinball Life. I bought a set less than two months ago from them but do not see them on the website now. Maybe on back order?

#7649 3 years ago

Thank you c818919taylor, glad it's working for you! I'm not sure about the question above... thenotrashcougar are there plans for a timer display upgrade for the reactor counter as well?

I know some about the Internet of Things (IoT). EightBitWhit do you know enough to get yourself into trouble? Didn't TNA go open source?

#7650 3 years ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

I would email Pinball Life. I bought a set less than two months ago from them but do not see them on the website now. Maybe on back order?

Just did. They said no

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,939 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/153?hl=estroh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.