(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,941 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 239.
#6201 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Got the Titan rubbers. This eliminated bumps on the right side, still a tiny tad bit annoying on the left side. I might end up repositioning the entire flipper mech.

It might be worth trying to adjust the lane guide first, if there is any allowable movement there.

#6202 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It might be worth trying to adjust the lane guide first, if there is any allowable movement there.

I've tried tighten the lane guide while pressing upwards, it doesn't really allow any movement.

1 week later
#6203 4 years ago

I don't have any documentation for my TNA. Having issues with a bank of controlled lamps. Pictures attached. Just before this lamp issue the reactor 1, 2,7 and the Matrix went out then came back.

First work on a modern pin so Im a little scared. Any ideas? Is there a TNA manual out there for sale somewhere?

20200128_232436 (resized).jpg20200128_232436 (resized).jpg20200128_232443 (resized).jpg20200128_232443 (resized).jpg20200128_232504 (resized).jpg20200128_232504 (resized).jpg
#6204 4 years ago

Download manual here
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=783

May just be ribbon unplugged from light board under playfield.

#6205 4 years ago
Quoted from klyguy533:

I don't have any documentation for my TNA. Having issues with a bank of controlled lamps. Pictures attached. Just before this lamp issue the reactor 1, 2,7 and the Matrix went out then came back.
First work on a modern pin so Im a little scared. Any ideas? Is there a TNA manual out there for sale somewhere?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is an LED light board that is not getting power. It is most likely an unplugged or damaged 2 pin IDC connector. Just follow the wires back from one of the LEDs that are out until you get to the green PD-LED board. You will notice, it probably does not have any green lights on. There is a .156 2 pin connector on it. Give that a wiggle and see if it comes back to life. If it does, then either replace or re-seat that connector. Restart the game, and enjoy.
--Scott

#6206 4 years ago

Also @klyguy533, you have a dead GI LED on the top right of your slingshot. Check and see if you have any spares in your cabinet. If not, they are cheap and you can get them at the link below. No soldering required, as it is just a connector and a screw holding it in place.

https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-gi-pcb-assembly.html

There are also a ton of other replacement parts for TNA here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/total-nuclear-annihilation.html

--Scott

Added over 4 years ago:

I meant to say top "left" slingshot. oops!

#6207 4 years ago

Just FYI....likely putting my TNA on market later this week. Stay tuned....

#6208 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Just FYI....likely putting my TNA on market later this week. Stay tuned....

I'll be watching.

#6209 4 years ago

Just picked up a TNA today.

Wow, very impressed and it exceeded my expectations. The sound system, lighting, and everything is so good. I didn't read anything about this machine, only watched a couple YouTube videos to make my decision.

If I was to have a complaint, it would be that the right orbit shot seems impossible to hit off the left flipper. Almost if the geometry is off a bit.. any tips on hitting it?

Other than that the game is a ton of fun and I am extremely impressed with the overall package that Scott & Spooky created.

#6210 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Wow, very impressed and it exceeded my expectations. The sound system, lighting, and everything is so good. I didn't read anything about this machine, only watched a couple YouTube videos to make my decision.
If I was to have a complaint, it would be that the right orbit shot seems impossible to hit off the left flipper. Almost if the geometry is off a bit.. any tips on hitting it?
Other than that the game is a ton of fun and I am extremely impressed with the overall package that Scott & Spooky created.

That right orbit is definitely a beeotch. Thankfully, I suck so bad I rarely make it to a reactor that requires it!

#6211 4 years ago

Thinking of picking up a TNA for my location, how have these been holding up for location play, any major issues? What was going price NIB from spooky?

#6212 4 years ago

I have had multiple issues with solder breaking off of coils and a few different connector issues, and the audit / menu system is bad. There's supposed to be an update to make some changes in the menu but now that Rick and Morty it's on the line I'm not holding my breath.

It's a great game for tournaments but casuals do not play it at my location. I love it but it gets out earned consistently by almost everything.

#6213 4 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Thinking of picking up a TNA for my location, how have these been holding up for location play, any major issues? What was going price NIB from spooky?

You will get a range of answers for this for any manufacturer. I have heard mostly that it earns well, and is pretty reliable, but once in a while you get responses like above.

I am still working on a software update for TNA to add some features and add a few things to the service menu. If you would like to try out the beta it is available on www.tnapinball.com for you to download and try out. I am absolutely not giving up on this project as it is something I am very proud of. I also am humbled by how many people put faith in myself and Spooky and bought one of these. I never in a million years would have thought they would have sold 550 units.

--Scott

#6214 4 years ago

Scott - www.tnapinball.com is not a working URL.

#6215 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Scott - www.tnapinball.com is not a working URL.

It redirects fine for me

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=783

#6216 4 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Thinking of picking up a TNA for my location, how have these been holding up for location play, any major issues?

Has worked okay for us. Definitely not a title casuals gravitate towards, but I like the variety it brings to our otherwise "modern" line-up. It has held up pretty well technically. Our machine has had about 4500-5000 games played on it so far, and the only somewhat recurring issue is broken-off coil lugs.

#6217 4 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:You will get a range of answers for this for any manufacturer. I have heard mostly that it earns well, and is pretty reliable, but once in a while you get responses like above.
I am still working on a software update for TNA to add some features and add a few things to the service menu. If you would like to try out the beta it is available on www.tnapinball.com for you to download and try out. I am absolutely not giving up on this project as it is something I am very proud of. I also am humbled by how many people put faith in myself and Spooky and bought one of these. I never in a million years would have thought they would have sold 550 units.
--Scott

Hey Scott,

Any chance this update will have lighting options for Clear targets. I seriously can't wait for your clear target kit.

#6218 4 years ago

Anyone know what would cause a buzzing sound when the flippers are being held in? Also some sort of spring noise is happening on right flipper that I never noticed. Kinda feels like a spring is creaky somewhere when I press it in. I have video, but don’t see an option to upload video? About 1500 balls played in HUO environment, if that helps. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Flipper power is still great and I only noticed this bc I had the volume down testing a few things. Left flipper side when engaging the reactor lil flipper is especially noisy or “buzzy”.

#6219 4 years ago

Love the light show and color changing speaker grills so why not add more lighting effects! I ended up adding color changing LED strips to the back of my back box that interact with the color changing speakers. It is awesome!

Here is a video showing it off

Here is a video showing how to do it.

I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTOAWZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01
and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPQMKBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

#6220 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Anyone know what would cause a buzzing sound when the flippers are being held in? Also some sort of spring noise is happening on right flipper that I never noticed. Kinda feels like a spring is creaky somewhere when I press it in. I have video, but don’t see an option to upload video? About 1500 balls played in HUO environment, if that helps. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Flipper power is still great and I only noticed this bc I had the volume down testing a few things. Left flipper side when engaging the reactor lil flipper is especially noisy or “buzzy”.

I'm also having this issue but on the right flipper so would also appreciate any advice. I've noticed that the buzz changes each time the flipper is engaged as well.

#6221 4 years ago

Pretty slick, +1 thanks for link too.

#6222 4 years ago

Alright pulled the trigger on a TNA, does everyone's start light stay on, it does blink when there's credits?
62382517-8241-4388-A843-0CA9898B975A (resized).jpeg62382517-8241-4388-A843-0CA9898B975A (resized).jpeg933EA72D-5EE2-42D7-8871-CE10A39FEB10 (resized).jpeg933EA72D-5EE2-42D7-8871-CE10A39FEB10 (resized).jpeg

#6223 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Love the light show and color changing speaker grills so why not add more lighting effects! I ended up adding color changing LED strips to the back of my back box that interact with the color changing speakers. It is awesome!
I used this amazon.com link »
and this amazon.com link »

Awesome, thanks for the video!

#6224 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I completed a few mods on the weekend...
3. Tilted the stock monitor back so it points directly at the head/eyes of the player. This totally resolves the poor contrast and bad darks problem and makes the screen pop! I used 1 1/2" nylon spacers and longer wood screws to mount the top of the monitor to the speaker panel, and just screwed the bottom screws in without bending the monitor or adding spacers there (for now anyway, they seem secure enough). I also used Gorilla tape to fashion a light shroud around the monitor but this ended up being pretty "tacky" looking so might replace with black pastic or cardboard at some point.
Here's a before pic showing orig., speaker mesh setup and stock monitor angle with washed out picture quality:
[quoted image]
Here's what it looks like now with the angled monitor and speaker mesh in front of the lights...
[quoted image]
FYI My monitor settings are:
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 100
Gamma: On
Monitor mounted with the spacers...
[quoted image]
Picture with a flash on to show the monitor angle from the side-front. Normally you wouldn't really notice the white spacer post.
[quoted image]
One issue with the slanted monitor is that the top of the screen is now blocked on some screens in the game by the top of the monitor cutout in the speaker panel. It's not nearly as bad for me while playing as this picture would indicate, but still lose the top 1/3 of the top row of text on that screen. An ideal fix would be to expand the hole in the speaker cutout slightly but this would require cutting, sanding, and re-painting the speaker panel.
The monitor controls look like there should be an option to allow sizing/moving the picture but you can't select it. Too bad or this would be an easy fix.
I'm okay with this for now as the increased PQ is well worth it. It somehow "feels" so much better to have the screen slanted so it's pointed directly at the viewer, I wish Spooky would have fabricated a proper monitor mount and done it this way from the factory.
[quoted image]

Well I finally went back in and improved my slanted-monitor mod on TNA (see the quoted post for the original details).
My original work had 2 glaring issues, the top of the display was clipped by the top edge of the speaker panel, and the finish around the outside edge of the monitor wasn't very clean (I had used black duct tape to seal around the open edges between the monitor and the speaker panel).

I solved the first problem by lowering the mount location of the monitor slightly. This allows a perfect view of the bottom and top of the monitor - at least for someone of average height like myself. A really tall person would still see some clipping of the top edge.

To improve the finish I used some black bristol board carefully cut to match the size of the openings between the monitor and the speaker panel. This stuff worked really well as I could just slide it between the monitor and the panel and because it has a sort of foam in the middle it would compress slightly and wedge in securely without requiring anything else to hold it there. Completely reversible and provides a professional finish.
IMG_7444 (resized).JPGIMG_7444 (resized).JPG
I love this mod now, the picture quality and contrast is sooo much better than stock and it feels great to have the monitor slanted to your eyes with its lower-than-normal location on the TNA cabinet.

IMG_7449 (resized).JPGIMG_7449 (resized).JPGIMG_7459 (resized).JPGIMG_7459 (resized).JPG

PS> Fortunately, Spooky has adopted a sloped speaker panel for R&M, making this mod unnecessary on that game.

#6225 4 years ago

Fytr Thanks for posting these...I need to make one for TNA and ACNC...was going to try 3d printing it, but am struggling with creating the design in CAD. I like your simple(r) solution!

#6226 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Right orbit is makable. For consistency, cradle the ball first, flip off the tip. Definitely agree that it’s tough... but you’ll get there!

Right orbit, on my machine is key for getting the ball down the middle two upper lanes... otherwise, the ball seems to drain into the scoop without firing any slings.

#6227 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Right orbit is makable. For consistency, cradle the ball first, flip off the tip. Definitely agree that it’s tough... but you’ll get there!
Right orbit, on my machine is key for getting the ball down the middle two upper lanes... otherwise, the ball seems to drain into the scoop without firing any slings.

I'm sure it's slightly different for every game, but it was tough but make-able on my machine as well. I really improved my orbit shot by playing a bunch of games where all I tried to do was hit the orbits. I went from terrible to just bad doing this (then, a month after practicing I went back to terrible again).

#6228 4 years ago

Fytr Your display looks sooooo much better than mine. Mine is so washed out looking you can barely see the images.

TheNoTrashCougar Just in the last couple of days I've been having issues with the scoop not detecting a ball once shot in. My machine only has around 250 plays on it and is HUO so most the time its turned off. Could I have a bad opto already? Going to check the switch tests and see if it tells me anything

#6229 4 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Fytr Your display looks sooooo much better than mine. Mine is so washed out looking you can barely see the images.

Besides angling the monitor back inside the cabinet (which improves the contrast greatly) you can also adjust your monitor's settings to improve things somewhat using the control buttons mounted on the back of the monitor.

FYI My monitor settings are:
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 100
Gamma: On

...but you will want to play around with yours to see which values provide the best picture.

#6230 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can get some stickers/decals for the 3x yellow targets and also the pop bumper?

#6231 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Anyone know where I can get some stickers/decals for the 3x yellow targets and also the pop bumper?

These ok?

Can recommend the seller.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct/01381-total-nuclear-annihilation-target-decals

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6232 4 years ago

You're awesome, exactly what I was looking for thanks - ordered !

#6233 4 years ago

Sorry, just catching up.

The flipper buzzing: Normal, the flippers are PWMd which means they a pulsed very quickly to cut down on heat generation and other engineering reasons. Just make sure all the screws and bolts are tight in the assembly and might make it slightly quieter. Also, turn up your music.

Scoop issue: I would check the optos in the switch test, it is most likely an IDC connector might be loose if the pair is not working properly. I would reach otu to Spooky Service and they can assist if you do not find it.

Target decals: Those are awesome.

Hope everyone is well.
--Scott

#6234 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I used this amazon.com link »
and this amazon.com link »

TheNoTrashCougar Hey Scott, I don't know if you saw this but obviously all I strive for in life is your blessing. I can't get enough light show!

#6235 4 years ago

TheNoTrashCougar Scott, is the next code going to have a way to clear coin audits without resetting All audits?

It is a bummer every month I reset the audits to clear coin count and using the "clear audits" function resets Everything including the high scores

*Running the beta code since a couple of months ago.

#6236 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

thenotrashcougar Hey Scott, I don't know if you saw this but obviously all I strive for in life is your blessing. I can't get enough light show!

I fucking love it.

Quoted from razorsedge:

thenotrashcougar Scott, is the next code going to have a way to clear coin audits without resetting All audits?
It is a bummer every month I reset the audits to clear coin count and using the "clear audits" function resets Everything including the high scores
*Running the beta code since a couple of months ago.

Yes, that will be in there.

--Scott

#6237 4 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Sorry, just catching up.
The flipper buzzing: Normal, the flippers are PWMd which means they a pulsed very quickly to cut down on heat generation and other engineering reasons. Just make sure all the screws and bolts are tight in the assembly and might make it slightly quieter. Also, turn up your music.
Scoop issue: I would check the optos in the switch test, it is most likely an IDC connector might be loose if the pair is not working properly. I would reach otu to Spooky Service and they can assist if you do not find it.
Target decals: Those are awesome.
Hope everyone is well.
--Scott

Good to know. Thanks for the update Scott. Just found out about target decals a few weeks ago. Makes the center targets not as brutal for sure and reduces air balls. Also, am I goofing the super secret skill shot? Hold left flipper, short plunge then shoot the ball lock? I can never get that to register

#6238 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Good to know. Thanks for the update Scott. Just found out about target decals a few weeks ago. Makes the center targets not as brutal for sure and reduces air balls. Also, am I goofing the super secret skill shot? Hold left flipper, short plunge then shoot the ball lock? I can never get that to register

Don’t flip the left flipper. Either short plunge and live catch with right flipper then lock or complete the orbit, dead bounce off left to right flipper and backhand the lock. Hitting left flipper cancels super skill shot.

#6239 4 years ago

All, was it ever determined which range of machine numbers had the playfield chipping / post issue? I didn't see this in the Topic Index of Key Posts.

#6240 4 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

All, was it ever determined which range of machine numbers had the playfield chipping / post issue? I didn't see this in the Topic Index of Key Posts.

I've got 455, which wasn't too long after they removed the art from right up against the posts. Haven't had any clearcoat issues.

#6241 4 years ago

I have 439. No art around posts. No clearcoat or art issues.

#6242 4 years ago

The Super Secret Skillshot does not activate unless you full plunge. Hitting the left flipper at all cancels it. Put the ball immediately into the lock. Godspeed.

#6243 4 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

The Super Secret Skillshot does not activate unless you full plunge. Hitting the left flipper at all cancels it. Put the ball immediately into the lock. Godspeed.

Full plunge, dead flip to right flipper, right flipper to lock?

#6244 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Full plunge, dead flip to right flipper, right flipper to lock?

For the love of Pete... It's a SUPER SECRET!

#6245 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

For the love of Pete... It's a SUPER SECRET!

Not no mo!

#6246 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I've tried tighten the lane guide while pressing upwards, it doesn't really allow any movement.

Are you trying to eliminate in lane ball hop? This worked for me after about 2 hrs of experimenting. This was occurring on the left side and was pretty bad. The issue for me was the lil plastic protector that hides the flipper bat was too close to the top of the hole for the flipper cut out. Bc of this it caused a lil hop. I took the flipper bat out and was able to loosen that lil plastic protector sleeve lowering it just enough that I could get it to sit flush with the bottom of the flipper hole. If you zoom really close on this pic you will see it’s sitting slightly too high. When you loosen the 3 screws underneath on the plastic protector you’ll be able to reposition it to be lower And closer to the bottom of the hole. The hard part was getting it to stay like that after retightening the screws. I finally was able to put 3 small tooth picks jammed between plastic protector and the top part of the hole In order to situate it a lil lower. I then cut them flush with the table and jammed them down a lil further so they didn’t interfere with the upward motion of the flipper bat. Crazy, but it works now like a charm. Put about 50 more games on it and it’s still holding. Basically just try to get that plastic to sit closer to the bottom part of the hole cut out for the flipper. Hope this helped.

5AF5E6D8-4C14-4B15-9A7A-33F8A4B714FC (resized).jpeg5AF5E6D8-4C14-4B15-9A7A-33F8A4B714FC (resized).jpeg
#6247 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

I finally was able to put 3 small tooth picks jammed between plastic protector and the top part of the hole In order to situate it a lil lower.

Clever! I'll try this. I only have issues on the left side on mine as well. Thinner flipper rubber really helped so I think another half or so millimeter would eliminate it.

#6248 4 years ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Are you trying to eliminate in lane ball hop?

Nice Purple Nuts

#6249 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Nice Purple Nuts

He might want to get those checked out...

#6250 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Nice Purple Nuts

"Hey bro, nice nuts..."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/125?hl=mackey256 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.