(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,941 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by falcon950
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 239.
#5201 5 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Didn't forget the skill shot or super jackpot - just flat ran out of room on the card and something had to give. I figured the skill shot is something best discussed amongst players vs. the rules that would make the cut on the card. Besides, it's fun to discover things like that without it being documented up front.
I'll go back and check the multi-ball bonus - I wasn't aware that changed (I guess it was with a code update?)
Thanks,
Whitney

IMO you can find room for the skill shot. This is one of the most important shots of the game gives you a lane save and starts a reactor.

RAD targets that’s very minor mystery award and it’s spelled out just above the RAD targets anyway.

#5202 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

thenotrashcougar any hope for a rubber kit for TNA on pinball life? I have to replace a few and I'm feeling lazy to the point where I don't want to look everything up. Just clicking add to cart would be awesome....for me lol

Alright, I finally got off my ass and ordered my backup rings. I figured this would help others to save some time when it comes time to order new rings.

10x - 3/16" Bumper Post Rings
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-316-silicone-post-rubber.html
2x - 2-1/2" Rubber Rings (This is for the lower slings. 2” or 2-1/4” can be used to further minimize the risk of balls
getting stuck behind these slingshot rubbers.)
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-2-12-silicone-rubber-ring.html
3x - 2" Rubber Rings
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-2-silicone-rubber-ring.html
1x - 1-1/4" Rubber Ring
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-14-silicone-rubber-ring.html
5x - 1" Rubber Rings
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-silicone-rubber-ring.html
3x - 1-1/16" Thin (Stern Compatible) Rubber Post Sleeves
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-116-thin-stern-compatible-rubber-post-sleeve.html
1x - 5/16" Bumper Post Ring
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-516-silicone-bumper-post-ring.html
2x - 3/8" OD Mini Post Rubbers
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-38-od-silicone-mini-post-rubber.html
2x - Flipper Rubber - Standard Size – Purple
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-flipper-rubber-standard-size.html
1x - Flipper Rubber - 1" Mini Size – Red
https://www.pinballlife.com/1-mini-red-flipper-rubber.html

Scott's official rubber ring list available here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwjXq_-yFIkouIl6ymJw9wfq6O8rOhnZ/view

#5203 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

So I was thinking…this is happening because of either a chemical incompatibility or the posts have too much give as a result of the rubber base. Why not skip the rubber and use a pet G fender washer?
I ordered some of those from PinballLife to see if I can get a good fit. I didn’t bother to measure anything because I’m tired, but I suspect it should be a fairly close fit.

I personally would not put PETG washers under the star posts. These are hard plastic just like the star post. The neoprene washers keep the star post from moving when taking a direct hit and digging into the playfield.

#5204 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO you can find room for the skill shot. This is one of the most important shots of the game gives you a lane save and starts a reactor.
RAD targets that’s very minor mystery award and it’s spelled out just above the RAD targets anyway.

rai - thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate the constructive approach. I went back and re-worked the instruction card text to update the multi-ball verbiage and swapped the "Mystery" text for a Skilshot summary. This look better?

ApronEnvy-CustomTNAInstructionCard-rev2 (resized).pngApronEnvy-CustomTNAInstructionCard-rev2 (resized).png

#5205 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I personally would not put PETG washers under the star posts. These are hard plastic just like the star post. The neoprene washers keep the star post from moving when taking a direct hit and digging into the playfield.

Spooky sent me hard plastic washers. Not sure what material they are, but they are hard to the touch, and plastic-y. Since installing, my star posts at the scoop and slings are now falling apart.
Did Spooky change what they were sending out, at some point? I got my washers mailed around December 2018. Should I make another washer request?

#5206 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

This was the first thing I noticed as well.

Ha! I should go back and fix that....

#5207 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Spooky sent me hard plastic washers. Not sure what material they are, but they are hard to the touch, and plastic-y. Since installing, my star posts at the scoop and slings are now falling apart.
Did Spooky change what they were sending out, at some point? I got my washers mailed around December 2018. Should I make another washer request?

I have no idea. I would contact them.
--Scott

#5208 5 years ago

rai - thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate the constructive approach. I went back and re-worked the instruction card text to update the multi-ball verbiage and swapped the "Mystery" text for a Skilshot summary. This look better?
[quoted image]

I like it, short and to the point.

#5209 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I like the colored protectors a lot, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I still really like the look of the game.
Trust me, I was certainly eyeing those toxic green and nuclear orange star posts on PBL as replacements. I think when I do my first full rubber replacement I may get creative.

I put the pink protectors on and the pink starposts look good IMHO as replacements around the slingshots.
I got some of the green starposts as well but I didn't use them as to me they stand out in a negative way.

#5210 5 years ago

I have no idea. I would contact them.
--Scott

I didn't even need to. THEY already contacted ME after seeing my post here.
Can customer support really even GET much better than THAT?!? I think not.
Love you, Spooky! <3 Thank you!

#5211 5 years ago

I went back and re-worked the instruction card text to update the multi-ball verbiage [quoted image]

I played around with how to display the rules and came up with a few suggestions. First, since we seem to need the space, remove "Instructions". I'm going to work on my own card and lead with, "Destroy all reactors for total nuclear annihilation!". If someone is just glancing at the card it tells them the the overall objective of the game in three seconds. Second, I think you can simplify your reactor steps into just two, startup and destroy. Third, I combined the jackpot into the multiball write-ups. After some thought, I decided to just removed the reactor value jackpot. If I decide to add it in the future it will be as a part of a instruction discussing REACTOR VALUES. Fourth, I added the mystery award back onto the card. When I did the layout to scale, every rule fit onto one or two lines. There are some other minor changes, but take a look and use or ignore as you like.

DESTROY ALL REACTORS FOR TOTAL NUCLEAR ANNIHILATION!

REACTOR STARTUP: Complete the center grid to unlock the reactor, then shoot the left scoop for reactor startup.

DESTROY REACTOR: Shoot the lit orbits to enter the core and build the reactor temperature to 100%, then shoot the lit shots on the lower playfield to destroy the reactor.

MULTIBALL: Lock balls in the drop targets and release for a playfield multiplier based on the number of balls in play. Shooting the drop targets during multiball will awards jackpots.

MYSTERY: Complete R-A-D targets in order to light mystery. Shoot the left scoop to collect.

BALL SAVE: Complete the S-A-V-E lanes to activate the ball save. Collecting three lanes will qualify the ball save, which can be stacked if not activated.

SKILL SHOT: Plunge the ball into the lit C-O-R-E lane to light ball save. Accomplish without changing the letter after the plunge to automatically complete the center grid.

#5212 5 years ago

You forgot "Quickly sip beer after reactor startup."

#5213 5 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

You forgot "Quickly sip beer after reactor startup."

It's timed. There is little time for that. Perhaps they need to have a sensor in the pingulp to award extra points for taking your hand away from the game to grab your beer.

#5214 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It's timed. There is little time for that. Perhaps they need to have a sensor in the pingulp to award extra points for taking your hand away from the game to grab your beer.

And if you're not taking a drink, I suggest the following while you are waiting the "reactor start up sequence":
1. Take two steps back from the machine
2. Do a little boxer "bob and weave" move.
3. Hop twice
4. Crane your neck left and right while evaluating your opponent prior to a battle - like in all those kung fu movies
5. Take two steps forward
6. Dip you head.
7. Resume game.

#5215 5 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

And if you're not taking a drink, I suggest the following while you are waiting the "reactor start up sequence":
1. Take two steps back from the machine
2. Do a little boxer "bob and weave" move.
3. Hop twice
4. Crane your neck left and right while evaluating your opponent prior to a battle - like in all those kung fu movies
5. Take two steps forward
6. Dip you head.
7. Resume game.

8. Hit both flipper buttons to skip reactor start up sequence and get to playin'

#5216 5 years ago

That is interesting. I would expect the PETG would ensue there is less movement since there is no give, and you are simultaneously spreading the force over a wider area.

I can find my neoprene washers spooky sent, but I really hate to have a black outline around the posts .

#5217 5 years ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

8. Hit both flipper buttons to skip reactor start up sequence and get to playin'

I actually had no idea this was an option; had to fire up the machine at 5 am just to try it. Thanks!

#5218 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

That is interesting. I would expect the PETG would ensue there is less movement since there is no give, and you are simultaneously spreading the force over a wider area.
I can find my neoprene washers spooky sent, but I really hate to have a black outline around the posts .

I am honestly no expert on this, but my take is I would want it to act like a gasket. It will keep it from sliding around.

#5219 5 years ago

if you look at the posts they have a thin edge, i think its more about pressure in a small area. I actually replaced a post and i have done larger ptag under the slings, will let everyone know how it does.

#5220 5 years ago

on another odd note my right flipper seams to hang a bit if you hold it and release, much harder to make backhand shots. Everything moves the same as left when powered down. both move very smooth mechanically. Right one just seams to have a delay in powering down when button it released.

#5221 5 years ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

8. Time it really close to the final animation and then hit both buttons so you get 6 white flashy animations.

#5222 5 years ago

[quoted image]

Did you scan the artwork to start this? or did you get it from Spooky/Scott? I'm just asking as I'd like to create my own (not for sale) and go a different route, but would need the art to start.

#5223 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Did you scan the artwork to start this? or did you get it from Spooky/Scott? I'm just asking as I'd like to create my own (not for sale) and go a different route, but would need the art to start.

email me and I will send you the file.

#5224 5 years ago

Unfortunately I am going to need to leave the TNA club for now. If you know anyone heading to the Allentown show who is looking for a TNA, send them my way...

#5225 5 years ago

I am honestly no expert on this, but my take is I would want it to act like a gasket. It will keep it from sliding around.

That makes sense, in theory I would be reducing the coefficient of friction using PETG like material. Most likely automotive clear coat is better at holding the post firm.

Thank you for explaining your theory. I will run a couple of different tests and report back.

#5226 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Scott was very gracious. He e-mailed me the instruction card .PSD and I went from there in Photoshop. On the logo card, I used the high-res PNG on his website and pulled that into Photoshop as well. I'm really only charging anything to cover my time/materials/PayPal in print/cut/seal/cut/package, etc. for anyone who wants a customized card set with their name/game number on it.

On another note, I've updated the instruction card a bit more taking into account the feedback from rai and @lpeters82. I adjusted text again, made sure the skill shot was more prominently placed, ensured the mushroom cloud pushed through better and moved the overall objective to the top of the card. I'm good with where it all sits now, and I've updated the dedicated thread/Pinside store listing for the card set to reflect the same.

ApronEnvy-CustomTNAInstructionCard-rev3 (resized).pngApronEnvy-CustomTNAInstructionCard-rev3 (resized).png

Thanks for any consideration. I think it's a pretty neat add to the game, IMHO.

#5227 5 years ago

Scott was very gracious. He e-mailed me the instruction card .PSD and I went from there in Photoshop. On the logo card, I used the high-res PNG on his website and pulled that into Photoshop as well. I'm really only charging anything to cover my time/materials in print/cut/seal/cut/package, etc. for anyone who wants a customized card set with their name/game number on it.
On another note, I've updated the instruction card a bit more taking into account the feedback from rai and lpeters82. I adjusted text again, made sure the skill shot was more prominently placed, ensured the mushroom cloud pushed through better and moved the overall objective to the top of the card. I'm good with where it all sits now, and I've updated the dedicated thread/Pinside store listing for the card set to reflect the same.
[quoted image]
Thanks for any consideration. I think it's a pretty neat add to the game, IMHO.

What are you charging for a card set?

#5229 5 years ago

Well, I'm hooked.

I'm primarily a location player (I have my TSPP, which I love, but everyone needs some variety at times) and am lucky as that goes. I've got two decent spots with multiple machines within walking distance. One of these, Barcade has been really stepping it up as of late. Only two years ago they only had VG cabs and said they'd never get into pinball because of the maintenance expense. But they rolled in a few machines and have been slowly inching that number up as time goes on. They're up to seven tables now, all of which are kept in great condition.

A couple months ago they added a TNA, and wow.

It's been ages since a game has hooked me this way. It's so simple but so devious. Tough as nails but completely fair. Any time I drain it's because of choice/mistake that I made. And I can feel myself progressively getting better the more I play, even though sometimes I'll go from a brilliant million+ score to absolute garbage with no reactors destroyed.

Yesterday was my best, 1.6 mil and three reactors down, but I'm already looking forward to the next time I can go back. When I move somewhere with room for more than one table of my own, TNA will absolutely be at the top of the list. Congrats to everyone, this game is a gem.

#5230 5 years ago

Finally played this with a Powerball, and wow does that ball ever move fast. It really spices the game up, swapping out one ball for it.

#5231 5 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

on another odd note my right flipper seams to hang a bit if you hold it and release, much harder to make backhand shots. Everything moves the same as left when powered down. both move very smooth mechanically. Right one just seams to have a delay in powering down when button it released.

Ok guys any ideas? I am thinking a leaking transistor might be the issue but would need to know which transistor controls what. Also do your flipper coils have diodes?

#5232 5 years ago

Wanted to ask if latest code is going to be updated in the near future because I don’t want to update if it’s going to be shortly update.

#5233 4 years ago

May be picking a HUO TNA up soon, anything specific to look for as far as issues these have had?

#5234 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

May be picking a HUO TNA up soon, anything specific to look for as far as issues these have had?

Closely inspect the playfield around all star posts... especially the ones that take the hard shots in the center.

#5235 4 years ago

Inspecting a used machine: When you hit the power switch all the play field LEDs should be white except for the numerics.

#5236 4 years ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

I will, since you’re more concerned about preserving your public image than actually helping.
[quoted image]

I want to see photos of these "polygonal balls." Post 'em up @Whamtam

#5237 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I want to see photos of these "polygonal balls." Post 'em up @Whamtam

5DvhiW4 (resized).png5DvhiW4 (resized).png

Uploaded a gif and pinside converted it to a picture. Constant width solids are interesting.

#5238 4 years ago

I've seen a lot of weird stuff in pinball... but I've never witnessed polygonal balls.

#5239 4 years ago

#5240 4 years ago

Geometry is amazing, isn't it?

#5241 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Apparently you need to make sure it doesn't have polygonal balls installed in it

#5242 4 years ago

It's called a reuleaux triangle. You always see them with some kind of weight on top of them, unlike a pinball. Why? They don't perfectly roll like a normal ball. See here:

#5243 4 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

[quoted image]
Uploaded a gif and pinside converted it to a picture.

FYI... to upload a GIF, you need to change the resolution to "Original Size (no rescaling)" prior to attaching it. It's an option just to the right of the Attach image dialogue button.

#5244 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

FYI... to upload a GIF, you need to change the resolution to "Original Size (no rescaling)" prior to attaching it. It's an option just to the right of the Attach image dialogue button.

Prepare for GIF overload!!!

#5245 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Closely inspect the playfield around all star posts... especially the ones that take the hard shots in the center.

Looks like it has some of the star post damage. Is this pretty common with a lot of them? Don't want to freak out if most of them are having this issue.

#5247 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Looks like it has some of the star post damage. Is this pretty common with a lot of them? Don't want to freak out if most of them are having this issue.

I think a lot of them have the issue and I think it's pretty contained and covered by the washer fix (either through spooky or amazon). Personally, I think it's very minor and doesn't detract from the pin at all whose main strength is the fast game play/sound and light show. As far as I know, no ones has had the damage spread either.

#5248 4 years ago

Sweet! Printing this out tomorrow.

I don't know what it is with this game, but I actually enjoy it more the longer I own it. I played co-op mode for the first time at MGC and then last weekend with my brother and it's a blast.

We destroyed reactor 9 on a 4-player game. Our goal is to do it with 3 balls each. I don't think my brother was trying to blow smoke up my ass just because I had a new game. He seemed to really enjoy it, and he has seen me buy and sell a few games over the years.

#5249 4 years ago

If you have any (positive/constructive) comments let me know. Remember, I am not a manual designer. I am a distributor/technician by trade.

#5250 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I haven't seen any on mine. I don't have a lot of plays like some guys do. I also have a lower than half number game that came from a distributer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

There are 11,941 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/105?hl=xbmanx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.