(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,010 posts
  • 508 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by razorsedge
  • Topic is favorited by 204 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,101 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1391c4a15384b0bdd4ca18972512717c15a60b68.jpeg (resized).jpg
77BE1153-70E2-42B9-9E62-78CC346B1684 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.52 PM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_20200708_213522 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
received_743793086423851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200705_152923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_101742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_152906 (resized).jpg
9B7D6E7D-25D9-4286-9AF6-732DCB266927 (resized).jpeg
20200615_132044 (resized).jpg
20200615_125902 (resized).jpg
7BA84E42-A8A8-45C4-B3D7-AA279D0701D3 (resized).jpeg
E08E3D9E-E2AF-4F00-B650-E96D265BA712 (resized).jpeg
AC31C551-91F1-4C87-A5F2-A8850C5499D1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7010 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 141.
#5101 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd rather be kicked in the nuts....repeatedly.

I’m locked and loaded old man tell me when!

#5102 1 year ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

3) The playfields are not given time to cure properly,

This is your assumption. No other Spooky game has had this problem, and all the PFs are made/handled/treated the same, so I think your assumption is wrong.

#5103 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This is your assumption. No other Spooky game has had this problem, and all the PFs are made/handled/treated the same, so I think your assumption is wrong.

I want to be crystal clear that this is not an assumption. I've restored and clear coated many playfields over the years and encountered every issue there is and over time you figure out how and why things happen, whether it be fish eyes, orange peel, chipping, ghosting, etc. If your playfield is prepped properly and cleared with proper time given to cure - at least 4 weeks - you will not have this issue. Full stop.

#5104 1 year ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I want to be crystal clear that this is not an assumption. I've restored and clear coated many playfields over the years and encountered every issue there is and over time you figure out how and why things happen, whether it be fish eyes, orange peel, chipping, ghosting, etc. If your playfield is prepped properly and cleared with proper time given to cure - at least 4 weeks - you will not have this issue. Full stop.

That’s assuming the problem is with the clear coat , but if you look at the pictures of the playfields that have had issues with chipping artwork is coming up (not just clear ) . In my opinion the problem was with the surface not being properly prepped before the artwork was put on . I think the surface was too shiny (not sanded /scuffed enough) when the print was put on , not giving the ink enough to bite into to adhere properly. This is why it is artwork and clear coming Chipping(not just clear). I saw the same thing when Jjp had issues with chipping , artwork completely missing and underneath was a shiny surface . When Charlie says they resolved the issue I am assuming they are having the playfields sanded /scuffed better or more abrasive before print to ensure adhesion. But again this is just an assumption on my part (I do not know the inner workings of Charlie’s company or what was done to resolve the issue) I have also restored and cleared many playfields and I work at a collision repair shop and with automotive clear coat nearly every single day, so I may know what I’m talking about . Look at the pics on this this thread and the pics of the JJP playfields with chipping issues , same problem and it is not with clear coat or curing times .

#5105 1 year ago

I have an interesting issue with my star posts. Last night I noticed that 8-10 of them are just disintegrating. About a month ago I installed the rubber washers from Amazon (linked previously in this thread) to prevent more damage to the playfield, and while I was at it I waxed the playfield for good measure. At that time all the star posts looked fine. Since the playfield was disassembled at the time no wax came in contact with the star posts.
Has anyone else noticed this issue? It is odd that so many are failing at the same time.
Could it be the rubber washers?

Now I need a new set of posts. If anyone know how many are on the machine I would appreciate if you would share that with me so i can get my order in.
It would be cool if there were some purple or fluorescent pink/yellow/GITD star posts available.

#5106 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I have an interesting issue with my star posts. Last night I noticed that 8-10 of them are just disintegrating. About a month ago I installed the rubber washers from Amazon (linked previously in this thread) to prevent more damage to the playfield, and while I was at it I waxed the playfield for good measure. At that time all the star posts looked fine. Since the playfield was disassembled at the time no wax came in contact with the star posts.
Has anyone else noticed this issue? It is odd that so many are failing at the same time.
Could it be the rubber washers?
Now I need a new set of posts. If anyone know how many are on the machine I would appreciate if you would share that with me so i can get my order in.
It would be cool if there were some purple or fluorescent pink/yellow/GITD star posts available.

I posted about this when I first installed the washers. In my case, it was because I didn't tighten the posts down enough. I ordered about 25 more, enough to replace all of the posts that come in contact with the ball with a few extra.

#5107 1 year ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

...for every one unreasonable customer, you have 99 that are absolutely thrilled with your product and looking forward to your next release.

I don’t even own TNA, but I follow this thread and all Spooky developments in hopes that someday I can afford to own one. I keep picking up project pins as I really enjoy the opposite of the NIB experience... the broken cabinet experience.
I’m just afraid that prices will rise once these are no longer in production and everyone else realizes how great this game is. I’m lucky to have one on route near me.

#5108 1 year ago
Quoted from cletus:

I don’t even own TNA, but I follow this thread and all Spooky developments in hopes that someday I can afford to own one. I keep picking up project pins as I really enjoy the opposite of the NIB experience... the broken cabinet experience.
I’m just afraid that prices will rise once these are no longer in production and everyone else realizes how great this game is. I’m lucky to have one on route near me.

As an owner I'd love for the prices to rise, but I think you'll be able to get good deals on these in the future. It's a little bit of a niche game and on the hard side which wears some people out. I'm not sure it will be more valuable than, say a HUO Stern of the same time frame even though it cost about $400 more NIB.

It is an awesome game though.

#5109 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Did Stern come forward and explain the ghosting problem? Or what about the cabinet corners coming apart? Or what about JJP with their chipping clear? You have details on all of those things?

So Stern sent me a completely new populated playfield to replace my ghostbusters one. A friend had their cabinet replaced.

In my view the reason I want to know more is to be sure that the problem isn't going to get any worse. Eric- who are you working for these days?

Quoted from epthegeek:

I wasn't trying to make a point about what's right and what isn't. Merely pointing out that no pinball manufacturer comes forward with details in cases of defects.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Stern-SB189.pdf

#5110 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

So Stern sent me a completely new populated playfield to replace my ghostbusters one. A friend had their cabinet replaced.

Spooky isn't big enough to be able to absorb sending people populated playfields when all the parts on it are still fine. They're a small boutique company, with minuscule production numbers compared to something like Stern.

This is a maintenance bulletin about something you can do to prevent future issues with hardware; those are semi-common throughout pinball history. Not at all the same thing as a "why are your playfields ghosting" and the other major defects.

#5111 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Spooky isn't big enough to be able to absorb sending people populated playfields when all the parts on it are still fine. They're a small boutique company, with minuscule production numbers compared to something like Stern.

This is a maintenance bulletin about something you can do to prevent future issues with hardware; those are semi-common throughout pinball history. Not at all the same thing as a "why are your playfields ghosting" and the other major defects.

Of course they are!

I would like the information to be sure that the problem isn't going to get any worse. I don't think that's unreasonable.

If I had the playfield replaced with a populated one then I wouldn't care as the problem is solved.

Note I'm in discussion with Charlie at this time about sorting this issue out.

#5112 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Replacing balls, replacing rubber (actual rubber wears VERY quickly, something like titan rings lasts longer), fixing broken solder wires, replacing coils, etc are all maintenance items. I've had to do these on every pin I've owned, sometimes even in the first days of ownership (it happens). If a coil went bad within warranty period I'd probably contact the manufacturer or my distributor for a replacement. If I had an issue with a defective playfield and had to get a new PF, I'd expect to have to do the swap myself. Time consuming, but that is expected.

Sorry but I've heard it all now!

A home use pinball machine needing new rubbers with less than 500 plays on it? So those with games on location must change them every freaking week then!

How many folks have replaced a coil on a BNIB home use only pinball machine? I've bought 12 NIB games in the last year and a half and not had to do that to ANY game, nor have I replaced any rubbers!

#5113 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

A home use pinball machine needing new rubbers with less than 500 plays on it? So those with games on location must change them every freaking week then!

How many folks have replaced a coil on a BNIB home use only pinball machine? I've bought 12 NIB games in the last year and a half and not had to do that to ANY game, nor have I replaced any rubbers!

I WISH I had a location that saw even 500 plays in a month for a game!!!!!!!!

That said, as a hobby operator with over 50 games I help maintain on route for almost 6 years now... ALL I repeat ALL manufacturers have issues.

The vast majority of Sterns we have purchased have had ghosting, split cabs, blown boards and split runners fresh when opened (some even came with major issue out of the box). Actually had to replace a bad coil on MET within a week. Had to replace a bad coil on GOTG early on.

JJP games have had chipping, broken parts, incorrectly wired switches.

Spooky games have had broken springs, loose nuts, and minor chipping under posts (after literally thousands of plays).

Guess what, spooky has been the best service and IME, the most minor issues. It really is not even a comparison. I can try to dig up some of the pf issues for other manufacturers if I get the time... they aint pretty.

The fact that they do so with such a small budget and great attitude is amazing and a big part of the reason I like to support them.

#5114 1 year ago

My question is, have all TNA's been delivered up to #550? Or are there a few left on the line yet to be made?

Really just curious more than anything else.

#5115 1 year ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

My question is, have all TNA's been delivered up to #550? Or are there a few left on the line yet to be made?

I think Joe at PinballSTAR has some still: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/55540

#5116 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I WISH I had a location that saw even 500 plays in a month for a game!!!!!!!!
That said, as a hobby operator with over 50 games I help maintain on route for almost 6 years now... ALL I repeat ALL manufacturers have issues.
The vast majority of Sterns we have purchased have had ghosting, split cabs, blown boards and split runners fresh when opened (some even came with major issue out of the box). Actually had to replace a bad coil on MET within a week. Had to replace a bad coil on GOTG early on.
JJP games have had chipping, broken parts, incorrectly wired switches.
Spooky games have had broken springs, loose nuts, and minor chipping under posts (after literally thousands of plays).
Guess what, spooky has been the best service and IME, the most minor issues. It really is not even a comparison. I can try to dig up some of the pf issues for other manufacturers if I get the time... they aint pretty.
The fact that they do so with such a small budget and great attitude is amazing and a big part of the reason I like to support them.

why would you have a game on location that didn't?

I'm sure they all have problems, but my experience with Spooky vs the others doesn't align to yours.

#5117 1 year ago

I think they have all be produced, but some of the retail locations may still have new games in stock.

Quoted from iloveplywood:

As an owner I'd love for the prices to rise, but I think you'll be able to get good deals on these in the future. It's a little bit of a niche game and on the hard side which wears some people out. I'm not sure it will be more valuable than, say a HUO Stern of the same time frame even though it cost about $400 more NIB.
It is an awesome game though.

I agree with this exactly.

#5118 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

In my view the reason I want to know more is to be sure that the problem isn't going to get any worse. Eric- who are you working for these days?

It's not like Stern gave those things out like candy. Read the ghostbuster thread and you'll see lots of agony -- some waited a year for a new playfield with constant nagging of Stern. Wasn't there a thread by someone here who had a particularly hard time and was threatening legal action against Stern? And this was for something in the middle of the play field that couldn't be covered by a washer in most cases. Now maybe you have a decent amount of pull with Stern or your distributor does because of all the machines you have. Anyone have any pictures of these play fields with the posts still in so we can see what the damage looks like with the play field populated? With the Washers in? Have you shown us pictures of yours yet Neil (just curious, I tried to go back and look. Not trying to be snarky at all)?

By the way I love your streams -- your streams and forum posts helped convince me to get a BM66 and I love it! Thanks for the effort you put into it, really nice quality and nice to see someone play the games that's not a top 100 player or something.

#5119 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Sorry but I've heard it all now!

My recent NIB purchases from Stern, JJP, and CGC all needed the high traffic area like main sling and flipper rubbers replaced in about 500 games yes. Real rubber doesn't last long on pins these days. But I swapped them with titan rings which do last significantly longer since they aren't pure rubber. I've had a bad switch or coil in a NIB purchase once in a while too.

#5120 1 year ago

Now that I'm able to post again (couldn't when the thread was hot), just wanted to say I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pin from Spooky again. I originally had some issues with my scoring displays not working properly and contacted Spooky about it a few times trying to resolve what the issue was. If I sent an email, I got a response, sometimes a call, within 10 minutes every. damn. time. At one point, Scott even called me to troubleshoot what the issue was and he was ultimately able to reproduce what I was experiencing and provide a solution. Where the hell else are you going to get that?! BTW thenotrashcougar, we've already got like 650 games on this thing between the wife and I in the 6 weeks we've had it... we may have a TNA problem...

#5121 1 year ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

Now that I'm able to post again (couldn't when the thread was hot), just wanted to say I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pin from Spooky again. I originally had some issues with my scoring displays not working properly and contacted Spooky about it a few times trying to resolve what the issue was. If I sent an email, I got a response, sometimes a call, within 10 minutes every. damn. time. At one point, Scott even called me to troubleshoot what the issue was and he was ultimately able to reproduce what I was experiencing and provide a solution. Where the hell else are you going to get that?! BTW thenotrashcougar, we've already got like 650 games on this thing between the wife and I in the 6 weeks we've had it... we may have a TNA problem...

Playing over 100 games a week on an awesome game is a great problem to have .

#5122 1 year ago

My wife doesn’t play pinball but my daughter does.

#5123 1 year ago

Mine’s built but not delivered yet. I don’t think it’s far off now but it takes time to get enough orders going to Australia before it’s worth shipping. The container costs are split between all orders so it’s worth waiting until it’s full.

#5124 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

My wife doesn’t play pinball but my daughter does.

So COOL!!!! She is demonstrating some mad skills on a tough game, and her frustration when she drains is a sign of good things to come (maybe a hole in the wall, or a dented coin door or two. Good stuff!

#5125 1 year ago

Loving my TNA! I seem to have hit a brick wall at Reactor #5, I cannot seem to progress any further. I am not concerned about minor playfield blemishes-my brand new Stern Ghostbusters LE has ghosting inserts. It is unfortunate that sometimes pinball machines can have imperfections from the factory, but for me they are minor when they do not affect gameplay. I could care less about a small chip underneath a post-the game is so awesome and so much fun-all I care about is playing it. Looking forward to future Spooky games.

#5126 1 year ago

Well, I finally finished my new pin space enough to set up all the games. TNA has been sitting still wrapped up for over a month.

I’m so glad I added this to my collection, I’ve only played a few games so far, but remember why I loved playing it on location. Everything is working well, I was having some minor intermittent right flipper button registers, but I think it may have just been a strand of glue from the hot glue tangled in the leaf switch. It seems to be gone now.

7EB7D1BD-53F7-478D-8AA3-2C952508C298 (resized).jpeg
#5127 1 year ago
Quoted from ramsfan:

So COOL!!!! She is demonstrating some mad skills on a tough game, and her frustration when she drains is a sign of good things to come (maybe a hole in the wall, or a dented coin door or two. Good stuff!

Yeah if she sticks with it She could become a really good player . She likes co-op mode and shows her friends that when they come over . On a side note we went and watched a controlled house fire today so she could see the fire trucks and firemen . At some point she said the fire looked like destroying reactors on Total Nuclear Annohilation . It was pretty awesome.

CB1E42D6-4F99-41D9-B89C-A1F1B50D8150 (resized).jpeg
#5128 1 year ago
Quoted from BoP:

Mine’s built but not delivered yet. I don’t think it’s far off now but it takes time to get enough orders going to Australia before it’s worth shipping. The container costs are split between all orders so it’s worth waiting until it’s full.

I have a spare one in stock in Melbourne is needed

#5129 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I have a spare one in stock in Melbourne is needed

Thanks but I’m fully paid up and in no real hurry. Extending my games area at the moment so it won’t get set up straight away anyway.

#5130 1 year ago

it wont get shipped till the alice coopers whenever they ship

#5131 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yeah if she sticks with it She could become a really good player . She likes co-op mode and shows her friends that when they come over . On a side note we went and watched a controlled house fire today so she could see the fire trucks and firemen . At some point she said the fire looked like destroying reactors on Total Nuclear Annohilation . It was pretty awesome.
[quoted image]

Um, shouldn’t they be putting out that fire?

#5132 1 year ago

RunDMD clocks Are so basic.

#5134 1 year ago

Just curious - anyone else have an issue under the latest release and the latest beta where a Tilt never recovers? Mine does it now under both those versions. It goes into Tilt and then just sits there. Only way out is to power-cycle. Scott told me he's aware of it but hasn't been able to recreate it, so I'm curious if others are seeing it?

Dave

#5135 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Just curious - anyone else have an issue under the latest release and the latest beta where a Tilt never recovers? Mine does it now under both those versions. It goes into Tilt and then just sits there. Only way out is to power-cycle. Scott told me he's aware of it but hasn't been able to recreate it, so I'm curious if others are seeing it?
Dave

Saw it once with Beta code but haven't seen it since. You able to reproduce it?

#5136 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Dave

I would love to know what series of events leads to this. For the life of me, I cannot reproduce this.

The only time I have seen it was if a ball was stuck in the lock and it tried to free it but there was an issue with a drop target and it could not recover the ball.

Thank you,
--Scott

#5137 1 year ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Dave

I’ve had this too, but I think it is actually the plumb bob swinging. It is super sensitive.

#5138 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’ve had this too, but I think it is actually the plumb bob swinging. It is super sensitive.

I solved this by never installing my plumb bob.

#5139 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

HAHA!

But seriously, if anyone can figure out the chain of events that leads to a tilt getting stuck, please let me know. I will fix it ASAP.
--Scott

#5140 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Earplug mod FTW

#5141 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

BC3F2139-E3FE-4568-A2EE-CB4F5EB79B81 (resized).jpeg

#5142 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Earplug mod FTW

toyguy has an earplug installed, and I'm pretty sure it's not causing the tilt bob to rest on the ring.

#5143 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

[quoted image]

Haha. How do you think I was able to shake all my beer out of the glass in the pingulp while playing POTC? Good thing I have a dog for cleanup.

#5144 1 year ago
Quoted from stevevt:

toyguy has an earplug installed, and I'm pretty sure it's not causing the tilt bob to rest on the ring.

Interesting maybe test that scenario see if the sw messes up.

#5145 1 year ago

I didn’t have a tilt issue prior to 1.30 so it seems software related. I’m going to try changing the setting for Ignore tilt in shooter lane and see what happens. I’ll also test with the ear plug removed in both settings of that option. The problem seemed to arise about the time that option was added. I am also suspicious of possible issues with the PROC driver boards. Maybe it is holding an input on when it should not be or something.

#5146 1 year ago

Which post sleeves does TNA use? They are skinnier than any of the spares I have.

post (resized).jpg
#5147 1 year ago

Feature Suggestion: Best Ball Champ

I looove my #TNA and it’s so cool Scott is so involved with the community here and is so dedicated to constantly updating this kick-ass machine. (Thanks Scott!) So I don’t know how hard this would be for Scott to actually implement but I thought I’d throw out a feature suggestion to see what people think: adding a "Best Ball Champ".

I think it would be a very cool feature to have a trackable high score table to see who has scored the most points on a single ball. We’ve got Speed Run Champ, Co-Op Champ, and of course the standard High Score Champ but I think Best Ball Champ would be an awesome addition to the high score table. It's for those games you destroy 4 reactors on ball 1 and then proceed to blow it on the last two balls. It makes games like that matter even more knowing you might walk away a Best Ball Champ even though you fell short of reaching the overall high score. So what does everyone think?

#5148 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Which post sleeves does TNA use? They are skinnier than any of the spares I have.
[quoted image]

those are the slim stern titan rubbers. I took mine out after a couple of months because they were falling apart and replaced them with superband sleeve rubbers. I don't care for superband flipper rubbers, but the post sleeves are fantastic.

Titans flipper rubbers are great, but I usually have to replace them once every 3-4 months or so on the games that get played a lot. I just replaced my third set on GOTG, last time the right ring was broken off and blocking the balls from entering the drain.

#5149 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

those are the slim stern titan rubbers. I took mine out after a couple of months because they were falling apart and replaced them with superband sleeve rubbers. I don't care for superband flipper rubbers, but the post sleeves are fantastic.

Perfect, thanks!!

#5150 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

those are the slim stern titan rubbers

TNA came from Spooky with Pinball Life clear silicone rubber, not Titans

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
$ 265.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 7010 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 141.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside