(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,008 posts
  • 508 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 minutes ago by Morinack
  • Topic is favorited by 204 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,101 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1391c4a15384b0bdd4ca18972512717c15a60b68.jpeg (resized).jpg
77BE1153-70E2-42B9-9E62-78CC346B1684 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.52 PM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_20200708_213522 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
received_743793086423851 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200705_152923 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_101742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200705_152906 (resized).jpg
9B7D6E7D-25D9-4286-9AF6-732DCB266927 (resized).jpeg
20200615_132044 (resized).jpg
20200615_125902 (resized).jpg
7BA84E42-A8A8-45C4-B3D7-AA279D0701D3 (resized).jpeg
E08E3D9E-E2AF-4F00-B650-E96D265BA712 (resized).jpeg
AC31C551-91F1-4C87-A5F2-A8850C5499D1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7008 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 141.
#5001 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

97 plays. I’ve got chunks of paint and clear by the upper playfield star post.
I emailed Spooky, and we’re talking about the best solution. I installed silicone rings on all the star posts.
I’m pretty bummed, but not the end of the world. Still a great game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mine has problems in the same area but not to that severity. A piece came off down to the bare playfield. I never said anything to Spooky. I took some clear fingernail polish to hopefully seal it.

#5002 1 year ago

I cut spooky a break because I know they are small and trying to build something awesome…hen my friend asked me, if you bought a new car and the paint started to chip away after 10k miles, would you be okay with that? I am torn. I almost wish that spooky could make some kind of printed Mylar that could repair the wounds on here play fields.

Mine started chipping around the 300 game range.

258E07F9-9070-4BBC-817F-3CAC5B41C730 (resized).jpeg80879CAB-BC68-431A-9EAE-F3B4DBE8F378 (resized).jpeg99D2B2FD-AF71-442A-B43C-0D1FC78AD979 (resized).jpeg9FE86C43-FED9-4108-B873-C65171DACF09 (resized).jpegBA84629C-8EA4-4141-8C9B-C2BFCF5FC728 (resized).jpegD221C8E0-DC58-468E-94F9-F530F141B685 (resized).jpeg
#5003 1 year ago

So tonight I cleaned and waxed the playfield and plastics for the first time. I also went ahead and replaced the balls and some of the rubbers. Since they were cheap, I had bought red and purple post sleeves in addition to the standard clear to try out and see what they look like. This time around, I put on purple and I kinda like it!

IMG_1980 (resized).jpg
#5004 1 year ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

So tonight I cleaned and waxed the playfield and plastics for the first time. I also went ahead and replaced the balls and some of the rubbers. Since they were cheap, I had bought red and purple post sleeves in addition to the standard clear to try out and see what they look like. This time around, I put on purple and I kinda like it![quoted image]

That looks great!

#5005 1 year ago

The chipping really irritates me but The fix to me is worse. It feels like it changes the game. The washers make the Star post sit higher which makes the slings slightly higher that sit on the star post so it changes the way the game plays. My slings seem to fire a lot less than they used to which slows the game down.

In my opinion you are either stuck with a chipping playfield or a game that plays with a lack of speed and power.

All this after buying a butter cabinet.

I don’t care about spookys margins, only the quality of the product being delivered and how the company stands behind it.

#5006 1 year ago

Let’s not forget resale either. This is going to be worse than people asking about the ghosting and misspelling on ghostbusters. Especially when they start a new run of tna with the problem fixed.

People give stern a lot of grief but at least they got populated playfields.

#5007 1 year ago

The rubber around my flippers is pretty chewed up - where can I buy replacements? I'd like to keep the same color if at all possible.

#5008 1 year ago
Quoted from Meorrow:

The rubber around my flippers is pretty chewed up - where can I buy replacements? I'd like to keep the same color if at all possible.

I put Titan competition silicones on my flippers and really like the performance. Will probably change my sling’s rubbers next. Picked them up at TPF, but check here: Titanpinball.com

#5009 1 year ago

we're only going to see more and more of these posts.

#5010 1 year ago
Quoted from estrader:

The chipping really irritates me but The fix to me is worse. It feels like it changes the game. The washers make the Star post sit higher which makes the slings slightly higher that sit on the star post so it changes the way the game plays. My slings seem to fire a lot less than they used to which slows the game down.

Did you adjust your sling switches after installing the washers?

#5011 1 year ago

fwiw, I didn't see any gameplay differences after I put the silicon washers down. Im just as disappointed about the chipping artwork as anyone else but, they are under the posts, and with the washers, it covers it so that you dont notice it without having to point it out.
You can talk about spending the money and expecting perfection etc or the tired cargument, but the fact is that it doesn't affect the gameplay and there are no real blemishes with the star posts and washers installed. Inserts arent ghosting, cabinet isnt splitting, node boards arent blowing, etc. Put the washers in, put mylar around your scoop hole and you should be good.

I'm not going to to hesitate buying from spooky in the future because of this.

#5012 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

fwiw, I didn't see any gameplay differences after I put the silicon washers down. Im just as disappointed about the chipping artwork as anyone else but, they are under the posts, and with the washers, it covers it so that you dont notice it without having to point it out.
You can talk about spending the money and expecting perfection etc or the tired cargument, but the fact is that it doesn't affect the gameplay and there are no real blemishes with the star posts and washers installed. Inserts arent ghosting, cabinet isnt splitting, node boards arent blowing, etc. Put the washers in, put mylar around your scoop hole and you should be good.
I'm not going to to hesitate buying from spooky in the future because of this.

indeed I'm hoping that's good enough.

#5013 1 year ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Is there replacement playfields available from spooky? Maybe there is a way to meet in the middle on rectifying the situation? Set a fair price on getting a replacement? Not sure what it looks like but it's a crappy situation for both sides. I also thought they said they isolated the issue to a certain batch. Could be wrong

I've noticed that on the newer runs, the graphics are designed to wrap around the posts rather than running under them. I've got 6-700 plays on mine now with the updated playfield graphics and so far I've had no issues.

IMG_1982 (resized).jpg
#5014 1 year ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

I've noticed that on the newer runs, the graphics are designed to wrap around the posts rather than running under them. I've got 6-700 plays on mine now with the updated playfield graphics and so far I've had no issues.

Which production number is your TNA?

#5015 1 year ago

Probably not too useful for most -- but after updating the code my right lower sling started firing like crazy so I applied the beta and it got better. It still definitely fired too much though and then last night it started machine gunning (I got some great scores!) so I took a look and sure enough one of the leaf switch gaps was pretty narrow so I opened the gap a bit and now it works great. It seemed like the new code just revealed that my leaf switch gap was too narrow rather than the code itself causing the problem. At least it seems like that in my case.

#5016 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Which production number is your TNA?

#5017 1 year ago

Any word on how much longer v1.3.1.b3 will be in beta?

#5018 1 year ago
Quoted from eemichael83:

I've noticed that on the newer runs, the graphics are designed to wrap around the posts rather than running under them. I've got 6-700 plays on mine now with the updated playfield graphics and so far I've had no issues.[quoted image]

I noticed that too, and a few poss back I tried to ask if that is the cause of the issue. I never got a response from spooky so I won’t bother tagging them again. I am sure they know, I was just curious.

I also noticed that the BKSOR game that Stern just announced doesn’t seem to have any star posts. I wonder if these are just bad design for modern play fields.

#5019 1 year ago

Stern has always used star posts sparingly, they prefer the 1-1/16" narrow post. It's nothing more than a design choice.

#5020 1 year ago

My pin had Mylar dots under the star post, Spooky was aware of the issue then but their fix was not adequate. The Mylar began to extrude almost immediately. Lucky I don’t play much and got clear washers from Amazon and there was only a tiny speck of paint that was effected and was under the star post not on the edge. My case is moot because it’s under the star post would never be visible. But I’m wondering how/why they started to paint art underneath the star post in the first place.

#5021 1 year ago

Went to install the latest code on my TNA, but grabbed the wrong USB, and it booted MemTest86. I'm not sure that's ever been run on a pinball machine before, but it was sure funny to see it go.

#5022 1 year ago
Quoted from Maide:

Went to install the latest code on my TNA, but grabbed the wrong USB, and it booted MemTest86. I'm not sure that's ever been run on a pinball machine before, but it was sure funny to see it go.

I can't be the only one dying to know if it passed. Also, how many loops did you run?

#5023 1 year ago
Quoted from Maide:

Did it pass?
--Scott

#5024 1 year ago

#335 here... mines been sitting in a shop boxed up since October, unboxed it Sunday , played 5 games , removed Mylar (was already lipping up and was easy to pull, cleaned off adhesive, put clear washers down under the high impact starposts, installed the recent beta. Waxed playfield.

turned the screen brightness down, turned contrast up, screen looks great, replaced the bulb in the beacon, put artwork stickers on the targets.

The brackets for the speaker panel were bent badly and the panel and glass had fallen out , but all is ok!

I actually like the melamine finish on parts of the cab, makes it easy to dust off.

The head was really dirty, for those of you storing yours NIB, you might consider wrapping it with plastic to keep the dust out of the box.

Super excited to finally play TNA without interruption or noise. I chose this game over AFM and pretty much everything else. Best pinball choice ever

D79012BF-520D-42A2-993B-9D8425A2020D (resized).jpeg

#5025 1 year ago

In case you guys were interested. I made these today.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0060-00

--Scott

20190403_104120 (resized).jpg20190403_133615 (resized).jpg
#5026 1 year ago

I'm extraordinarily unhappy with how my TNA has worn around the posts and slings. The solution is not good at all either.

#5027 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

I'm extraordinarily unhappy with how my TNA has worn around the posts and slings. The solution is not good at all either.

+1 - I find it staggering that people are happy with the response.

#5028 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

+1 - I find it staggering that people are happy with the response.

You should email Spooky about it.

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from Maide:

You should email Spooky about it.

you think we haven't?

#5030 1 year ago

Have you guys ordered these washers? I installed them as soon as the issue was mentioned and haven't given it a moments thought since. My hunch is that Spooky will wrap the artwork around all future star posts, but if I ever had a game come with artwork under star posts these washers would be a day one addition.

amazon.com link »

#5031 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you think we haven't?

I responded to you on January 12th asking if you had installed the neoprene washers... and said:

"If a few months from now you see it not working then by all means reach out directly to me and let me know."

And followed it with:

"Regardless, we want you happy with your purchase! We'll work hard to make sure you are sir. "

Your response since that email, has been nothing... and I'm not on here daily reading every post... but we absolutely do read every email.

I'm not trying to sound like a sarcastic d**k.... I had to look up to see if we had past emails from you because we literally get hundreds a week. Most of the time they don't jive with Pinside names, personal names, email addresses, and it all gets super confusing.

I'm emailing you personally now Neil.

#5032 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

In case you guys were interested. I made these today.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0060-00

--Scott[quoted image][quoted image]

thenotrashcougar Those would look killer with a pink Sac Rack

#5033 1 year ago

I got an LED bulb for the topper at TPF. The cover of the topper, I'm not familiar with the screw heads. Is it some sort of security bit?

EDIT: More research suggests a security Torx bit. I actually don't own any such bits so I've ordered a set.

#5034 1 year ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I got an LED bulb for the topper at TPF. The cover of the topper, I'm not familiar with the screw heads. Is it some sort of security bit?

I believe it's a Torx Security bit. You can buy a set of bits for it pretty cheap on Amazon or from your hardware store (probably)

#5035 1 year ago

Where else can you email the owner of a pinball company and expect a response within minutes?

I was a NIB RZ buyer and just picked up TNA at TPF. Each time I had a question or problem, Charlie was right there.

With TNA, I had some unfortunate chipping and peeling around some of the posts. I emailed Charlie, and he responded immediately.

Charlie cares about his company, his games and his customers. We talked about the best solution, and I’m satisfied.

I’d purchase from Charlie again without hesitation.

#5036 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

We talked about the best solution, and I’m satisfied.

I helped you on a USED game???

Whoa. How'd that slip through? I swear we try... every damn day.

Quoted from Maide:

I believe it's a Torx Security bit

100% correct sir... standard Happ beacon, and everyone should have a set of security bits for any arcade gear. They are everywhere!

#5037 1 year ago

spookycharlie would it be possible to tell us what happened that caused this bit of annoyance with the playfields? I completely understand if you cannot talk about it. I wondered if the details would help people get the closure they are seeking?

#5038 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

spookycharlie would it be possible to tell us what happened that caused this bit of annoyance with the playfields? I completely understand if you cannot talk about it. I wondered if the details would help people get the closure they are seeking?

Bit of annoyance? Who wants to buy something that’s thousands of dollars and clearly not ready for real world use and have it’s intended use actually destroy it? The only “bit of annoyance” is your post.

#5039 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Bit of annoyance? Who wants to buy something that’s thousands of dollars and clearly not ready for real world use and have it’s intended use actually destroy it? The only “bit of annoyance” is your post.

Sell the machine if it's that much of an issue for you.

#5040 1 year ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Sell the machine if it's that much of an issue for you.

$7,000 (my cost) and it’s yours

Let me know where I should send payment details

#5041 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

$7,000 (my cost) and it’s yours
Let me know where I should send payment details

Already have one. Charlie has been exceptionally helpful with any issue I have run into with my machine BTW.

#5042 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

#335 here... mines been sitting in a shop boxed up since October, unboxed it Sunday , played 5 games , removed Mylar (was already lipping up and was easy to pull, cleaned off adhesive, put clear washers down under the high impact starposts, installed the recent beta. Waxed playfield.
turned the screen brightness down, turned contrast up, screen looks great, replaced the bulb in the beacon, put artwork stickers on the targets.
The brackets for the speaker panel were bent badly and the panel and glass had fallen out , but all is ok!
I actually like the melamine finish on parts of the cab, makes it easy to dust off.
The head was really dirty, for those of you storing yours NIB, you might consider wrapping it with plastic to keep the dust out of the box.
Super excited to finally play TNA without interruption or noise. I chose this game over AFM and pretty much everything else. Best pinball choice ever
[quoted image]

I went through and fixed everything that rattled and now it feels and sounds like a million dollar machine... Huge difference!

#5043 1 year ago

I started saving for a pinball machine in 1997. For twenty years it was going to be Addams Family, until I saw Scott’s whitewood online. I followed closely as the game took shape, and production became reality. Spooky’s promise of quality, a trustworthy product worth investing in, confirmed a decision two decades in the making.

TNA 408 arrived on Nov 29, unplayable due to violent airballs and a misaligned autolauncher. The playfield immediately revealed severe damage, more than plastic washers would cover. Had I known what I was receiving, I would have refused delivery.

By Jan 3, with a combination of hardware and software modifications (sincere thanks to Scott), I managed to play my first full game. Things were looking up, but I was pulling the glass every 10-15 games to reattach blown solder joints (no shaker motor). I seem to have secured the problematic ones (3 on upper flipper and 2 on left scoop), but rarely turn it on as it continues to fail. I asked about obtaining a replacement flipper coil, and as with previous requests was told to place an order at Pinball Life. Snapped rubbers and deformed balls are considered “a part of regular maintenance” within the first two months. All this from a warranty that claims “We’ll cover parts in your game in home use for 1 year".

On Mar 5, the replacement playfield is ready to ship, however:
“It's pretty much just unscrew / transfer as you go. My guys can do it in about 90 minutes but ... not going to go that fast for a home user I'm sure. Personally, what I would (and most people do) is put the washers in the current game to cover the wear, and leave the flawless new playfield sit in the box until the old one is beat to death.”

Sending me something to keep in a box doesn’t fix anything. I directly asked for the price of a populated playfield in four different emails and this is the response I received: “If you were down here, I'd meet you at a show, have you come to the shop... whatever worked.” So if you choose to buy direct, make sure you live within driving distance.

“I give up” aren’t the words you want to hear from a business owner with whom you’ve invested your life’s savings, but here we are. I paid for a new machine and received a major project. It’s a heart breaking mistake I could only afford to make once, so at the very least it can’t happen again.

PLAYFIELD_DAMAGE_TNA_408.jpg
#5044 1 year ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

I started saving for a pinball machine in 1997. For twenty years it was going to be Addams Family, until I saw Scott’s whitewood online. I followed closely as the game took shape, and production became reality. Spooky’s promise of quality, a trustworthy product worth investing in, confirmed a decision two decades in the making.
TNA 408 arrived on Nov 29, unplayable due to violent airballs and a misaligned autolauncher. The playfield immediately revealed severe damage, more than plastic washers would cover. Had I known what I was receiving, I would have refused delivery.
By Jan 3, with a combination of hardware and software modifications (sincere thanks to Scott), I managed to play my first full game. Things were looking up, but I was pulling the glass every 10-15 games to reattach blown solder joints (no shaker motor). I seem to have secured the problematic ones (3 on upper flipper and 2 on left scoop), but rarely turn it on as it continues to fail. I asked about obtaining a replacement flipper coil, and as with previous requests was told to place an order at Pinball Life. Snapped rubbers and deformed balls are considered “a part of regular maintenance” within the first two months. All this from a warranty that claims “We’ll cover parts in your game in home use for 1 year".
On Mar 5, the replacement playfield is ready to ship, however:
“It's pretty much just unscrew / transfer as you go. My guys can do it in about 90 minutes but ... not going to go that fast for a home user I'm sure. Personally, what I would (and most people do) is put the washers in the current game to cover the wear, and leave the flawless new playfield sit in the box until the old one is beat to death.”
Sending me something to keep in a box doesn’t fix anything. I directly asked for the price of a populated playfield in four different emails and this is the response I received: “If you were down here, I'd meet you at a show, have you come to the shop... whatever worked.” So if you choose to buy direct, make sure you live within driving distance.
“I give up” aren’t the words you want to hear from a business owner with whom you’ve invested your life’s savings, but here we are. I paid for a new machine and received a major project. It’s a heart breaking mistake I could only afford to make once, so at the very least it can’t happen again.
[quoted image]

I had very similar damage to my game (#412). When I initially contacted Charlie with pictures of the damage, he offered the washer fix. When I pointed out that I had damage that extended beyond the star posts, he offered a replacement (unpopulated) playfield, which I gladly accepted. I offered to pay for shipping, but Kayte shipped the playfield at no cost to me.

If the damage was hidden by the posts, Spooky would never have heard from me. Most games don't even have artwork under the star posts. I realize Spooky is not Stern and was not going to swap out a populated playfield with me. I was glad to support Spooky, and to me, Spooky sending a new playfield was more than fair in my case. And for that, they may have repeat business from me on Danesi Game #2 or something else.

I realize not everyone feels this way, and not everyone is comfortable with swaps or has the time for them, but I was happy to do the swap in order to have a nice new playfield with no art missing, as this game is a definite keeper for me.

#5045 1 year ago
Quoted from Whamtan:

“I give up”

Yep... this one has been a roller coaster... not going into private details in public.

1 month ago the only debate was if you were going to do the swap yourself or bring to our shop and let our guys do the work for you.

Sunday, after more suddenly angry again out of the blue emails than I care to think about... I did in fact just send you the new playfield and moved on. Always the last resort with any problem.

Sorry we failed you... I'll personally take the blame. Hope the new board is to your satisfaction regardless.

Quoted from floyd1977:

When I pointed out that I had damage that extended beyond the star posts, he offered a replacement (unpopulated) playfield, which I gladly accepted. I offered to pay for shipping, but Kayte shipped the playfield at no cost to me.

THANK YOU for the patience and understanding.

Anyone want to buy a pinball company? I swear it's all fun and super easy.

#5046 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I had very similar damage to my game (#412). When I initially contacted Charlie with pictures of the damage, he offered the washer fix. When I pointed out that I had damage that extended beyond the star posts, he offered a replacement (unpopulated) playfield, which I gladly accepted. I offered to pay for shipping, but Kayte shipped the playfield at no cost to me.
If the damage was hidden by the posts, Spooky would never have heard from me. Most games don't even have artwork under the star posts. I realize Spooky is not Stern and was not going to swap out a populated playfield with me. I was glad to support Spooky, and to me, Spooky sending a new playfield was more than fair in my case. And for that, they may have repeat business from me on Danesi Game #2 or something else.
I realize not everyone feels this way, and not everyone is comfortable with swaps or has the time for them, but I was happy to do the swap in order to have a nice new playfield with no art missing, as this game is a definite keeper for me.

I would suggest getting some extra coats of clear sprayed on before doing the swap. That's what I will be planning on doing when I get my spare pf. I'll save it for a rainy day when I feel like the current PF is too beat to be in the game any more. Use it as a wall-hanger or something.

#5047 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Man I couldnt imagine paying for one of these games and then getting an unpopulated playfield were I had to do the whole switch myself. I'm glad your happy but man I'd be pissed. Hell I'm pretty upset having my playfield damaged under the star post and using washers to hopefully prevent more damage.

Why hasnt spooky come forward to say what the problem is/was that has been supposedly fixed?

#5048 1 year ago
Quoted from estrader:

Why hasnt spooky come forward to say what the problem is/was that has been supposedly fixed?

Did Stern come forward and explain the ghosting problem? Or what about the cabinet corners coming apart? Or what about JJP with their chipping clear? You have details on all of those things?

#5049 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Did Stern come forward and explain the ghosting problem? Or what about the cabinet corners coming apart? Or what about JJP with their chipping clear? You have details on all of those things?

Does that make it right? Didnt stern replace the playfield with populated ones?

#5050 1 year ago
Quoted from estrader:

Does that make it right?

I wasn't trying to make a point about what's right and what isn't. Merely pointing out that no pinball manufacturer comes forward with details in cases of defects.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 265.00
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 17.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Old Saybrook, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 7008 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 141.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside