You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1000553.JPG
P1000552.JPG
P1000551.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hi, I'm a TOTAL NOVICE and got a rubber replacement kit for my '69 Bally, and now need help replacing the rubber rebound piece. It looks like I need to take the whole metal contraption apart but for me it seems really stuck and I don't have many tools so don't have a good way to do this.
I've tried to cut away the old rubber which is really worn out, but even that seems stuck to the metal contraption. Thanks for your help!

#2 11 years ago

Pictures or it won't happen.

#3 11 years ago

Name of game please ?

Picture or what exactly rebound piece you are talking about please ( can have many meanings )

Get tools.

LTG

#5 11 years ago

Bally Joust 1969 and for now I'm just cleaning/waxing the playfield, replacing the rubber rings and change light bulbs. This is the first piece the ball hits when you shoot it out.

The white rubber is the new part (I'm sure you knew that!)

Thanks, guys!

P1000551.JPGP1000551.JPG P1000552.JPGP1000552.JPG

#6 11 years ago

Unbolt from mount. Remove bolt and washers. place on new rebound rubber, bolt to mount.

Just cut the old one as you already have several times, and eventually you should be able to pry it off the hardware. Use some Naptha to get the old rubber off the hardware.

#7 11 years ago

The replacement rubber doesn't appear to match the old rubber. I'm not very familiar with EM's, so I couldn't tell you which one is the correct part. All I know is something doesn't jive.

#8 11 years ago

yeah gweempose I was wondering that too. But this is the part that was sent to me with the replacement rubber kit for my particular game.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks dsuperbee I'll try that. I appreciate your patience with someone who technically knows nothing!

#10 11 years ago

It probably is the right part.

The old one has distorted and become larger in diameter from years of pressure.

Once you take the bolt out (you will need a wrench to hold the backside nut too), clean all the hardware with some degreaser so you don't get your new white rubber all black and smudgy.

New ball for sure, don't let the old ball get your new rubber all black.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The replacement rubber doesn't appear to match the old rubber. I'm not very familiar with EM's, so I couldn't tell you which one is the correct part. All I know is something doesn't jive.

Well, maybe the original was white 43 years and 100,000 cigarettes ago

#12 11 years ago

OK there's a little post inside to slide it on, that's great! and the old rubber slid off easily. I guess it COULD be the original rubber piece; 69,000 plays on the counter!!

HOWEVER the replacement piece is very thick and now I understand why the old one was looking squished; I'm not able to put those nuts back on they don't fit! Should I get someone to help me force them on? or perhaps cut the rubber to a smaller width?

#13 11 years ago

How about just getting a longer bolt?

#14 11 years ago

Wrong rebound rubber, I think you want this one:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-1110

#15 11 years ago

oh duh I just thought of that! you guys are great so sorry i'm such a beginner.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

oh duh I just thought of that! you guys are great so sorry i'm such a beginner.

Indeed. Pinside is f'n awesome.

#17 11 years ago

OK I think I got it now! Best way to remove the rust from the metal parts?

#18 11 years ago

Tumbler?

#19 11 years ago

kaz1961 thanks for the suggestion! I looked at it, and that one's too large. Mine measures 1 1/4 inch in diameter - both old and new.

#20 11 years ago

what's tumbler?

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

OK I think I got it now! Best way to remove the rust from the metal parts?

I assume you don't have a vibratory tumbler, or you would not be asking, so try soaking it in Coca-cola, followed by steel wool or brass brush.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

what's tumbler?

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Great for brackets.

I don't bother tumbling standard screws or bolts, cheaper to simply replace.

#23 11 years ago

YAY I'm so excited!!!

One step at a time

P1000553.JPGP1000553.JPG

#24 11 years ago

I used a metal cream polish. But I'll keep the Coca Cola thing in mind for next time!

#25 11 years ago

Congrats!

Soon you will be fixing everything on the game.

Nice job on the rust removal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-novice-rebound-rubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.