(Topic ID: 116448)

Total newb- should I restore a pinball machine?

By polyacanthus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2168f1.jpg
    monocirrhus_polyacanthus_3.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago

Get an EM for $100-200 and fix it. Wouldn't try SS rehab right out of the box.

#18 9 years ago

You can go nuts on a cheap Em fixing it up and still be well under 1K.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from YKpinballer:

And at the end of it having a machine with depth is a lot more fun than an old EM

I think there's a thread somewhere that would dispute that point.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

Anything I should know about these or are they just as serviceable?

Pbresource should have just about anything you need

#49 9 years ago

If a EM game hasn't been used in some time are there any precautions I should take or things to check before firing it up to see what works?

Eyeball it...power cord, check the relays--all the insides just to see if there's anything that looks WAY obvious out of place....I plug them in right away and have had no issues. If it's not doing anything I give the start relay a try just to see whats what. I know others have some checklist of things to go through. I am too excited to see what's working. I played several games on one before I noticed the power cord was hanging literally by ONE strand of copper(!?)...it suddenly shot some sparks and started smoking which clued me in that the power cord was shot (guess that would qualify as an issue). No harm done. So now I at least check the power cord

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

Definite potential for spark / shock.

lol

#53 9 years ago

I'm no expert in old Bally machines, but that looks pretty average. $350 seems a little high too. Personally if you can find practically ANY old Gottlieb you'll have better luck finding parts and advice on how to fix AND it's probably going to be a better player.

#64 9 years ago

I'm definitely not playing it, just feeding the ball down the gutter to get the mechanicals going.

though it was probably played 500 times with that ball anyway....it's all relative

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-newb-should-i-restore-a-pinball-machine?tu=wickerman2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.