(Topic ID: 136214)

Total Lightshow. Let's build a ST Pro RGB GI lightshow from scratch.

By TimeBandit

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BOBCADE
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am very pleased to announce that Total Lightshow is proudly collaborating with Heighway Pinball to bring all the RGB coloury goodness of GI Theatre up to the surface of your playfield via Heighway Light Pipes. The single bulb solution is now here for games that don't run discrete strings of different colour bulbs in Premium/LE guise.
( If you don't know what I'm talking about, see here.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo )
Heighway have purpose-built light pipes to their own design for their GI and have generously agreed to supply me with these pipes to serve the same purpose in my kit. They are super effective and deliver plenty of light through a beautiful frosted finish.

While I am waiting for the first batch of boards to come back from the factory, I have gone back to the ST Pro project that kicked everything off. I am going to add RGB GI plus an RGB strip on the warp ramp. I will leave the side ramp strips off for now but they can always come back later.
As there is no existing Prem/LE GI to emulate, I have a blank canvas on which to create a lightshow. I thought it might be interesting for anyone who cares enough to join in and suggest ideas to be included.
Any switch, any insert, any mode. You name it, we can put it in. I can time anything. I can count switch hits. You've seen how capable the board is with the emulation of Met Prem. The same or better can be done here.
So this thread is just for the designing of the ST lightshow. I will continue the Total Lightshow development thread for general updates.
Here is just some opening footage. Very simple stuff to just to get things going. It is fairly self explanatory.

So throw up some ideas or a wishlist and I can code stuff up and check it out. I will push on with my own design if there is no response from the crowd.

#2 5 years ago

Nooooo, so disapointing you moved to ST after Metallica. Where is the Tron and Xmen thread

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Nooooo, so disapointing you moved to ST after Metallica. Where is the Tron and Xmen thread

Haha. Tron is next. ST is already started from way back.

#4 5 years ago

Will be watching this thread
Great idea

#5 5 years ago

Would love to make my Stpro have a hit light show. Thread favorited

#6 5 years ago

wow...really steps the lighting up!

#7 5 years ago

Watching progress on this!

#8 5 years ago

I don't have any suggestions because you know waaaaay more then I do so what ever you come up with is fine with me.

#9 5 years ago

I'll kick it off at the very beginning. Attract mode. The first 20 seconds or so of the full playfield test video shows the current attract mode.

Originally I just tied the GI to the colours in the mission triangle. Problem with that is that it moves a bit fast, and when they are on together you just get white in the GI, which is ok I guess, but seems a waste of capability.
I wanted some sort of tie in to the inserts so that the GI looks part of the original design and not a jarring add on. What I have settled on is using the Captains Chair insert as a switch to cycle the GI through the main six colours of the original game design. This keeps the colour cycling rate to a reasonable pace during most of the attract mode pattern, but also speeds up the cycling in sync with the inserts when they start to accelerate. So you end up with a pleasing synchronisation (even if you didn't notice it at first I am certain it would be a bit odd if it wasn't tied to the inserts somehow) that shows off the colours and at the same time keeps pace with the original insert pattern.
So if there is any aspect at all of the game that you want lit in a particular way via the GI, post your request.

#10 5 years ago

Looks amazing!

#11 5 years ago

Looks great!

What's that chasing light you have running up the warp ramp?

Is it possible to give GI feedback when using punch it? Yellow maybe?

Feedback on warp ramp hits? I'd love a real quick rainbow every time I hit it

Red feedback on vengeance hits?

Just spitballin'

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

What's that chasing light you have running up the warp ramp?

Addressable RGB led strip. There is more detail on that in my development thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Is it possible to give GI feedback when using punch it? Yellow maybe?

Yes. Let's try yellow. Technically it will not be triggered straight off the button as that is a dedicated switch like the flippers and not on the switch matrix, but it will be synthesised from lamp triggers and the user will not know the difference.

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Feedback on warp ramp hits? I'd love a real quick rainbow every time I hit it

Red feedback on vengeance hits?

Yes, and yes. Anything is possible.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Addressable RGB led strip. There is more detail on that in my development thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

Yes. Let's try yellow. Technically it will not be triggered straight off the button as that is a dedicated switch like the flippers and not on the switch matrix, but it will be synthesised from lamp triggers and the user will not know the difference.

Yes, and yes. Anything is possible.

Slick! Most pumped for rainbow warps.
Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if orange vengeance hits might be better or even maybe a real fast red-yellow or orange -yellow flash... Something along those lines is bound to give a good sense of explosion!

Will play a few games tomorrow with this mod in mind and see what else comes to mind

1 month later
#14 5 years ago

Looks really freaking good!

Just don't overdo it to where it's all too much, just bring it up to/copy the LE version and you're good to go!

2 weeks later
#15 5 years ago

#16 5 years ago

Looks awesome!!!!

4 weeks later
#17 5 years ago

I may be entering the Trek club soon and will be waiting for this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside