3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Putting a Royal Flush play field back together. Was putting the washers on the post screws back on. And noticed that the post head has a recess that just fits the screw head if the washer is not there. And I think it looks better. So does the washer have a real purpose?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Given that the post screws with hex heads don’t use washers—and have roughly the same surface area as the slotted screws for securing the post evenly—I can’t see a mechanical reason for the washer. It might be a cosmetic flourish. They polish up to a bright shine and add some bling, which is something the posts lost when they moved to plastic in the late ’60s. To my eyes, the post looks a little naked without that shiny washer.

Did you clear the playfield with lacquer?

#3 3 years ago

I’m reassembling a playfield over here in my shop, so I held up a hex-screw post and slotted-screw post. Here is the reason for the washer: they help level the plastics because the slotted head is shorter than the hex head. The washer adds a little extra height to even things out.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the answer. My washers aren’t polished as much as the screw heads.

Clearcoated the playfield with Minwax polycrylic Which I had done before to great effect. And on this playfield it darkened it almost like I had used oil based but I didn’t I used water-based. I was really disappointed.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks for the answer. My washers aren’t polished as much as the screw heads.
    Clearcoated the playfield with Minwax polycrylic Which I had done before to great effect. And on this playfield it darkened it almost like I had used oil based but I didn’t I used water-based. I was really disappointed.

I just buy new stainless stee washers from HD for my pf refreshes

#6 3 years ago

For now I polished some on the buffing wheel.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

Which Minwax Polycrylic did you use? Satin or gloss?

Quoted from DCRand:

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago

Satin. I think big mistake, had used satin on a previous game with no problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-flush-post-washers?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.