Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (7 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (7 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (7 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (7 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (6 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (6 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (6 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

No limit , but done in runs of fifty as needed .

Um, with the right art package and more work on the LCD, I think you'll be doing runs of 100s fully pre-sold. In my view, this could sell well into 4 figures, i.e. over a thousand units if the art looks good enough and the price is around that of a Stern Pro.

I hope you get some international distributors.

If the art and the price hit the mark, it'll be my first NIB.

Have you lined up an artist for the playfield / cabinet / translite yet?

#491 7 years ago

Nixies would make a good topper. Cost could then be separated from base product, too.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pin sales boil down to one thing - Will a 50 year-old man buy it?
It's the reason extremely well done custom games like Buffy get largely ignored while a POS brick-fest like Predator steals half a million.

On the face of it, in that case TA would probably be a bad candidate for manufacture, given the thumping synth / retrowave soundtrack, similar Hotline Miami type LCD graphics (and I suspect art package?), and what some older customers might consider an overwhelming light show. How many 50 year olds listen to or are even cognisant of that kind of music or new pixel shooter videogames?

The reaction to it at shows, from the recent streams and the almost universal excitement on Pinside at the announcement Spooky would manufacture it (certainly way more than for AMH / RZ / Domino's / Jetson's / Alice) seems to suggest otherwise though.

Sometimes people recognise good work, even if the theme or influences aren't a particularly obvious hit for the the market's primary demographic (middle aged men).

Besides, if this at an 'affordable' price, you don't need to market it exclusively to people whose kids are beginning to leave home and retirees sitting on a pot of gold, if it will appeal to a younger audience.

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Welp, I'm pushing 50 and think the music is fantastic. Miami Vice-like graphics, thank you very much (which btw was on TV when I was a teenager). The light show is great.
tl;dr 50 =/= old

Wasn't really my point that 50+ year olds (or older) wouldn't like it. More that if you were doing product research for people with grey or greying hair, something like this would likely never come up, or would be passed in favour of things with supposedly better 'wrinkly' appeal.

Just my view, but if enough love is put into the art and LCD, I think this can potentially sell better than Elvira 3.

1 month later
#981 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I have to keep my opinions to myself on this one....really not digging that backglass, I actually thought it was a joke. The game is brilliant , definitely going to wait to see the final product.

Quoted from Whysnow:

digital copy
draft copy

In my view this is a total departure from the Hotline Miami / 80s retro futuristic style that Scott had originally pursued.

This looks more weeb / animé and/or OverWatch, and of that style not particularly great either (my opinion).

Doubt it's final, but I'd be extremely disappointed if they keep this look.

Machine itself, on the other hand, continues to look better and better.

#1002 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

At a high level, the vision is actually pretty simple. I wanted to build a machine that was a blend of what I personally think made older games great but put in all new technology under the hood. The story line, artwork, final animations, music, and gameplay will all be retro-futuristic, meaning what someone from the 80's thought the far future was going to look like.
--Scott

I think the negative reaction to the art is because most people absolutely understood the above was your intention, but they had something very different in their head than what was revealed, and don't feel like what we've seen really matches the expressed vision.

#1090 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...I really, really like the translite. Very nicely composed, great color scheme and skillfully drawn.
Also fun little details, like the detonator button reference to Lawler, the ED209 like thinggy, pokeball style granates...
If I may, I'd like to add a few constructive remarks. It needs a little color correction to separate the elements more and to 'de-fog' the scene.
Something like this:
or both compared:

...be sure to have some for Europe

Still not sold on the art style, but that looks WAY better.

#1111 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's almost as if that's what it would look like if there were light bulbs behind it to make things brighter. Imagine the innovation if they did THAT with a pinball machine. Mind. Blown.

The colours are significantly different. It's not just a case of adjusting contrast.

6 months later
#3956 6 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Cant wait for #119

That's a busy looking facility. Guess the new place got 'small' much quicker than they expected.

That can only be good news.

#3966 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Looks like it's going to be their best selling game to date.

I would be very surprised if it doesn't sell more than all their games produced to date (contract and house).

#3968 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

will you really save any money?

Indeed. I doubt it. It's not like you're putting it in a large box or crate with empty space, that 2 will fill.

Both air freight and container (ocean) freight concern volume and little else. Until you get to the point of a half or full container load, you'll be lucky to get more than a 5% discount with your agent for booking more than 1 pallet.

If you want an early spot, then place a wanted ad and I'm sure people will be open to reasonable offers.

#3973 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That would be what 550-650ish? I put my bet on 500 pre-production. I'm now thinking 350-400, but hopefully as more people play it there will be another push.

There's no fixed cap on them, and I think sell through will be good. Particularly if, as rumoured, they make them compliant to international standards and start exporting officially.

#3981 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Wrong.
The more you ship, the cheaper per unit it is.
For example, my rates to NZ are $195 USD first cube and $95 per cube thereafter.
Also, every shipment attracts port services charges, and a multitude of government charges like Agriculture, fumigation etc. These are PER EACH ENTRY. The more units you ship on each entry, you divide the cost of all these fees across the number of units. So 2x Pins = 1/2 fees per pin. 6 pins = 1/6th fees each pin.
The guy would be best to either:
1/ ask Charlie to hold the pin and ship them both together
2/ let this one go, swap it with someone closer to his buddies one.
rd

This is highly likely to be a one-off shipment via agent(s). As I understand it, you regularly import to NZ, and not just pinball. Your negotiated rates are going to be far cheaper and far more incentivised re: volume than the ones here.

Also, rarely do port fees scale in completely linear fashion as you describe above, in my experience, when you're talking about LCL singular pallets. At least, not through an agent.

The vast bulk of the fees are likely to be inland shipping, anyway, and it's unlikely there will be any discount at all for 2 vs 1 pallets. But maybe he found an agent with a depot right down the road from Spooky (unlikely), and they'll drop off for him, and that's moot. In which case, division of port and bureaucratic fees would be a greater % saving.

Either way, any costs saved via this angle, would likely be dwarfed by what you'd likely have to pay someone to give up their spot for a later one - unless you're lucky enough to find someone with cash flow issues, for example, who wants a short delay.

4 months later
#5677 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man, 407 TNAs sold and counting! That is super impressive.

If they had the production capacity, and thus low time to wait, I'm sure they'd have sold well over 1000 already. Though I suspect they'll get to that benchmark eventually anyway.

#5708 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I played a TNA at the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. However one criticism I have is the quality of the LCD screen. I don't know if this TNA had a faulty panel but the image looked washed out and also had awful viewing angles. I'm 6'3" and if I crouched down to the height of a 12 year old the image improved a lot. The table was next to a Heighway Pinball Alien and the LCD in the backbox of theat looks so much better with even viewing angles and strong contrast and colours.
Before anyone says "The image is supposed to be degraded and old and 80s" I do understand this but the panel looked horribly unsaturated and the fact that it looked different from other angles suggest to me its a hardware issue.
Is this a general issue or possibly a defective panel or installation? Maybe caused by UK power supply?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247403856
This is the actual machine in action and as you can see it being streamed the direct video feed looks great, low res but strong colours and saturation. In real life the screen looks much worse.

It's because it's a pretty cheap TN panel. All TN panels have poor viewing angles and significant gamma shift. The latter, particularly on the vertical plane. Cheap ones more so.

Switching to even a very cheap IPS unit will improve viewing angles a lot and reduce gamma shift.

If you care about image quality, it would be a cheap and cost effective upgrade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.