Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (2 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (2 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (2 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (2 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (2 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (2 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (2 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (2 years ago)

Post #2530 Game not yet complete and more code and updates and graphics will be coming. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #2942 Link to buy your very own sac rack! Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #3056 Interview from the corn field drive. Part one and part two. Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #3193 Video of first production game. Thanks Deadflip. Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #3284 Place to order a knocker and shaker. Posted by PDFVT (2 years ago)

Post #3335 Good pictures! Posted by johnnyutah (2 years ago)

Post #3431 List of boards in the final game Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #3623 Link to buy the custom pingulp. Posted by iEatHands (2 years ago)

Post #3842 launch of interior side mirrors for TNA Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Leascippi:

This should be the backglass

Why? It has nothing to do with the game that happens to share the same name.

Think "1980's Apocalypse".

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Leascippi:

Oh, so why does it use the name of a popular video game franchise?

So popular no one has heard of it but you?

Also it's a common phrase. No trademark.

#43 2 years ago

Well it's good that this is an "amusement device" and not a "computer game". I don't think there's any worries here.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Sell as a Kit?

The cabinet, art and whatnot aren't the most expensive part, so a kit doesn't really save you much. Also it has a custom sized screen.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

it just seems like it should be a 4.5 to 5.5k machine from buyers perspective.

Because it doesn't have a ramp? So if he put a $50 plastic ramp on it, it'd be worth $1,000 more?

Did you see the photo of the underside of this thing? That's Hobbit levels of wiring and materials.

3x single "smart" drops (2x coils per drop)
5x sling coils
2x scoops
2x controlled gates
1x pop bumper
1x spinner
1x auto launcher
3x flippers

That's just mechanical devices - never mind the 100+ RGB lamps. Stern couldn't even get 10 RGB lamps into their $15,000 game, but somehow because this game is missing a ramp, it's not worth $7K?

Just watch the streams on this game and you'll see why it's worth every penny. Not every game needs to have 32 stackable modes to be fun, sometimes it just needs to beat you over and over to keep you coming back. Every single person on that stream kept coming back for more.

there's one main objective that gets repeated 7 or 8 times if you are trying to beat it?

There's a bunch of different strategies involved that is more like classic pinball than the somewhat tired story progression of most modern games. Keep in mind that there are nine reactors to destroy and I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone get past three, so this game is HARD and needs REAL SKILL to master because it doesn't just feed you the ball all nice and easy from a looped ramp, left and right over and over.

You have to nudge, and soft plunge, and be fast on the lane change to stack the ball saves. It doesn't just hand out bullshit jackpots like candy, you have to work for that jackpot shot to the upper scoop. This is a player's game.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The cost in RGB lights isn't the hardware, it's the wiring and time spent coding for them.

One PD-LED is $90. TA has five.

PD-LED

Each RGB LED is about 30 cents in bulk, but doesn't include the PCB, connectors, jumpers, distribution boards, cables, etc. So, call it $5 per LED.

100 x $5 = $500, plus $450 for the PD-LEDs.

$1K just in LAMPS!

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

why do you call a serial method "garbage"?

See WOZ for why serial lamps are bad. It's very electrically noisy under a pinball machine, lots of interference can disrupt the serial signal.

Also, the more serial chains you have, the higher the latency as you send out more and more serial data to the LEDs, so you get lag in your light shows. Not an issue with PD-LED.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Is there some legitimate reason that shielded cabling can't be used here?

They did. Didn't help.

So why isn't Stern having issues on the same level as JJP? They're using serial now as well, if I'm not mistaken?

Stern uses a similar technique to the PD-LED - RS485 to LED boards.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Anybody got any sweet mode ideas?

Stop trying to make TA like every other modern game!

The joy is in the rules that will fit on an instruction card, but a depth of play and strategies that keep you coming back to try and master them.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What's the freakin' beef with serial COMMUNICATION

Well, there's two methods for serial. One is using cheap WS2812 serial RGB LEDs, where basically you connect them all together in a chain - power and RX/TX lines - and you send serial commands down the line. The serial data is sent like a bucket brigade from one LED device to the next until the appropriate LED sees a command meant for itself and it plucks that out of the stream before sending the data on.

This is how WOZ did it. The drawbacks are that any break in the chain or power screws any downstream LED, and that you have increasing latency in passing commands with each additional LED in the chain as they have to read and transmit. Also, there are more chances for interference to screw up the serial data and cause the wrong LEDs to light, or to be stuck on, etc.

In contrast, the PD-LED method uses a single RS485 connection to the board, generally a single set of wires, and power is run separately to the board to directly power the LEDs. RS485 is a very robust protocol - it's used in cars, a very noisy environment - so it's more fault-tolerant, and the single serial signal is easier to isolate and shield. Also, there is less latency involved because there is only a single RX/TX to the board, not a chain of them, so response time is much faster and more reliable.

If you're interested in custom games, I suggest checking out Pinball Makers. http://pinballmakers.com/

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I played and really liked can crusher (as an example)

If what you see when you look at TA is Can Crusher, then there's nothing I could say to change your mind.

1 week later
#248 2 years ago

The cabinet isn't the expensive part of this game.

Maybe Scott can include a couple of plastic ramps in a baggie so people can feel like they got a good value?

Just because it's single level doesn't mean it's not as complicated (and expensive) as any other modern game.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Correct, the populated playfield is.. However $600 is a big chunk of final BOM cost

Okay, for the sake of argument let's break it down to what you'd need for your kit.

You'd need the fully populated playfield. You'd need the P-ROC boards, plus the computer to drive it. You'd need the subwoofer, speakers and amps to drive them. You'd need the screen and displays. You'd need a 70/12/5V power supply.

So, what exactly would you be able to re-use from your cabinet? Nothing other than the plywood box and some screws, ultimately. And do a ton of work to make all that stuff fit in the box. I don't really see any "savings" here.

I was simply saying if someone were to do a "kit", Williams would probably be the most common pre-existing cabinet in someone's collection.

You are so completely out to lunch - who has an *empty* cabinet sitting around? Unless it's a P2K cab, everything else was single use, so you'd need to scrap some existing game.

The whole kit idea is insanity.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Am I crazy or couldn't TA be adapted for the P3?

Not really. The pop is a big issue, but the left side targets aren't possible on P3.

You could make something similar to it, but not quite the same.

#268 2 years ago

You're quoting retail prices. Wholesale, in bulk, is considerably cheaper.

I'm out of room, what to do? conversion kit. Also I'm pretty sure a populated playfield could easily fit underneath the cabinet which is currently unused space.

A conversion kit where you pull every board, every wiring loom, the light board - basically everything but the cabinet? How do you deal with the various cabinet differences over the decades? These games weren't meant to be converted.

Have you ever lifted a playfield and looked underneath? There's a bunch of pokey sharp things under there and they don't sit level. What do you do with the boards and other stuff?

C'mon. Be serious.

2 weeks later
#505 2 years ago

Yeah, I don't think Ben realizes how many people raved in the 90's. I'm 45 and I love electronic music.

“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh Pinside, someone shows their game and all everyone can do is ask for changes.

Scott doesn't care what people have to say so why shit on the discussion that he's not even reading? You're really holier-than-thou sometimes, as well as a hypocrite.

Let people discuss it - it keeps them interested. If they like it they'll buy it regardless.

#573 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What do the lights near the flippers do? I mean the square of 15 lights between the slings plus the three below those?

Bonus count from 1K-10K, then 10K-50K, then the triangles are 2X, 3X and 4X.

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

bonus for end of ball or for specific shots? How are bonus built up?

Just normal pinball end of ball bonus.

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I just wish/hope it could go on the pinheck as I woudl rather that cost savings go into Scott/Spooky pockets

There's no cost savings because time isn't free.

1 week later
#653 2 years ago

Scott's working on the production prototype. I wouldn't expect to hear anything new for a year or more.

Meanwhile I'm sure he'll bring the current one to more shows.

1 week later
#677 2 years ago

Damn, I was hoping for the Bally backbox too. I love that frame.

#690 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Good job leascippi in getting this changed. You were right all along.

They're doing it pre-emptively, just to avoid any possible issue. I bet there'd have been no issue.

New name is fine.

#738 2 years ago

Everyone's talking like the game is finished. The software is still a work in progress you know, there's plenty of time to add more "complexity" to the rules depending on where he wants to go with it. I mean, there's a strategy on how to max out your reactor scores that no one seems to get at first glance, or how you should leverage the multiball.

I'd say the BSD comparison is doing the game a disservice.

1 week later
#801 2 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

I figure they met somewhere during the development of BoP 2.0

Both Scott and Koen hang out on the Pin Dev Slack channel, along with lots of other custom game people. It's a good place to be if you're looking for information on making your own games.

1 month later
#1278 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Somewhere around $3500 seems good to me.

HA HA
HA HA
HA HA
HA HA
HA HA

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

If Stern could sell their home version pinball ("The Pin") at a profit for $2500, there is no way a SW Pro needs to be >$5k.

Keep in mind that Stern almost went out of business at the previous price point and was only saved by a bailout investment and subsequent raising of prices.

Also, Stern operates at 10x the scale of Spooky and thus enjoys larger price breaks. It's not an equal comparison.

2 weeks later
#1324 2 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Interesting short video (06:17) which may appeal to fans of the 1980s artistic vibe on TNA

Technically, TNA isn't Memphis but instead Neon Noir, a different but also very 80's style. Think more Patrick Nagel and less Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

#1351 2 years ago

Well, I think the main issue is that the artist in question has a specific style that he is bringing to the work, instead of bending his style to match the stated aesthetic. His personal style is more cartoony and "fantasy" versus the straight lines and "sci-fi" nature of Neon Noir, and that is throwing it off for people. I get it.

But, this is Scott's game and it's going to look how Scott wants, so ultimately everyone is just puffing hot air to no end. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't think they'll have much trouble selling the first run.

4 weeks later
#1528 2 years ago

I like it.

The score display integration is superb, easily my favourite part. Great job!

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Is there a limit on these, or will they make as many as needed?

First batch either 50-100 machines, then in batches as orders come in, as long as they come in.

#1546 2 years ago

Given what's under the hood and the list of extras I'm actually shocked they're able to offer it at $6K, especially given the short runs. That's got to be cut close to the bone.

#1568 2 years ago

One of the rare instances where you could play the game *before* you could buy it!

#1653 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

the logo there doesn't serve any meaning whatsoever. So why not show the protagonist?

Games from the 80s generally don't have "protagonists", really. I mean, I understand your point but it's kind of left of center.

#1655 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Seriously, spend a few grand and have a real illustrator or graphic artist work on these.

They did, they have the same artist who did the cabinets for JPop's games. He's a real illustrator.

Basically, you're just wrong. Nothing objective or subjective about it - plain old wrong. This art package is a perfect blend of 80s sensibilities and modern pinball, just like the game itself.

#1657 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

About every game has at least a "picture" there.

And TNA isn't like "every game" and the design really helps send that message.

#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Looks great! Can somone post a side by side of the current pf and the whitewood? Would love to see the comparison.

The only difference as far as I know is the rollovers in the reactor have been replaced with inserts, mostly because rollovers make clearcoating a pain in the ass.

#1661 2 years ago

Yes but their removal doesn't change it any really, since the kickers and the right side targets still do that as well.

Don't know what you mean by "place holders", they're white inserts with RGB lights under them. If anything it will help to indicate reactor readiness because they're RGB and the rollovers were single colour lamps.

#1663 2 years ago

Not really? Just change the number of switch hits it takes on the kickers and targets to enable the reactor. There is really no fundamental difference without the rollovers.

#1706 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

as long as you don't get nasty, you should be able to express your opinion.

Sure, but he was being a tool. He could have just said he didn't like the art but he had to go on a rant about hiring a pro, which is hugely insulting. You can express your opinion without being a prick.

#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Here's some of the art projects i've completed.

Cool story bro.

Done anything original?

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

I think too that most of the theme got wasted , like everything I can see is reactor.

I mean, that's the entire plot of the game.

I think people are missing the point - this isn't some epic journey laid out on the playfield, it's supposed to look abstract and 80s. I think it does that.

Would I do some things differently? Yes. But do I think they nailed the look they were going for? Also yes, and they did some stuff I never would have thought of.

#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

People get an original theme, and still find reason to complain.

Two people, one kind of a jerk and the other constructive, don't really count as "The People" to me. The vast majority like it. In fact, TNA has a lot less detractors than every single pinball release in recent memory. I think only two people not liking it is a miracle.

#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I've read and heard enough to know that a great number of pinsiders, all staunch supporters of TNA, say that the playfield art is too sparse - it is just lacking.

"Great number"? You make three.

Frankly, given the nature of the game - hyper fast and brutal - overly complex artwork like, say, Ghostbusters, would probably render the game unplayable. Also, the style harkens back to a more abstract 80's Bally style of pinball, which this game is trying to update to modern style. In my opinion it succeeds.

I think those who don't like the art should play some games on it with the art and decide then, rather than flatly say it's wrong. For once in a long time, the artist took gameplay into account when designing. That should be commended.

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

I've played a fair amount of pinballs and pretty much all have complex art all over the place.

Your snarky reply notwithstanding, here's an example - AFM.

AFM PF

You'll note the graphics are substantially simpler near the flippers in an arc. In fact it's large, wide bars of colours until just under the mode inserts, including single colours in the lanes. That follows the idea of keeping it less distracting around the flippers. I could probably find more examples if you like.

#1813 2 years ago

Looks detailed enough to me.

TNA Closeup

#1816 2 years ago

PACMAN sent me a PM with a link to a prescription glasses site.

That sort of sums up the value of his opinion.

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I actually think that's kinda funny. I think we all get too defensive about things we like.

The stereotypical troll response when someone calls them out for acting like a jackass is for them to say something like "I was just kidding" or "grow a thicker skin," like it's everyone else that's wrong. Guess what - if you think everyone else is an ass, maybe it's actually you.

He's welcome to his opinion, just present it constructively like others have and who *haven't* been called out for it.

Compared to the typical Stern Photoshop cut and paste this thing is awesome looking. Totally on-theme. I can't wait to play it!

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

If TNA was an in-house design by JJP would people still view this machine as something special or ask themselves 'what exactly are they trying to sell me here'?

You're missing some important context - people are excited about this game because they PLAYED IT. It has nothing to do with who is making it.

#1917 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if this exact game was not designed by Scott Danesi and thus had no connection to the homebrew/P-ROC community, but instead was an in house design by a reputable manufacturer would it be as well recvd?

If this exact game, presented with the features as they stand, then the answer is "yes, it would be well received." 99% of the people who walk up to play it at shows don't know Scott or Spooky at all.

However, neither Stern or JJP would ever conceive of or build this game. It is completely unconventional. So the answer is also "no" because neither company is capable of making such a game. Stern, for example, has many restrictions on what has to be in a game, like three pop bumpers. JJP is interested only in mass market, family-friendly games. So this market is left to Spooky to fill.

#1969 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Do people even understand why it plays so fast?

This is the third or forth negative post you've made about the game, despite many people correcting your misconceptions - which you never really acknowledge. Just curious why you seem to have this vendetta against a game you've never seen or played.

I guess this just isn't the game for you.

#2093 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What are all the circle inserts down by the flippers for?

Bonus count.

Quoted from rai:

What do the RAD stand ups do.

It says right on the plastic - "Spell RAD to light Mystery".

Both are throwbacks to earlier games that didn't have fancy displays to tell you status - plastics would tell you the rules and you kept track of bonus via playfield lights.

#2102 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How are the bonus raised?
When it says 50K does that just add 50K at the end of ball?
What happens after 50K does it use the 2x 3x to add the bonus? I thought those were for PF multipliers.
I'm getting confused between bonus and bonus multiplier.

This is Old School Pinball 101. You should play some EMs and early SS machines to get a feel for how that stuff works. Understanding the past will help you enjoy pinball more, and especially TNA.

#2112 2 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

You should not feel bullied by the "subject matter experts."

You shouldn't feel bullied, but ignoring expertise and saying that everyone's opinion is equally valid is not a great idea. You hire an electrician to do your wiring because they know what they're doing. You don't stand there and tell them how to do their job. Why doesn't this apply to artists?

I've never understood why people devalue artist's expertise and experience. They're professionals. Is it because people think it's subjective, or is it the classic "I could do that" idea? You might think it's subjective but there are *tons* of rules when it comes to art - colour matching, structure, focus, etc. There are some universal truths about what is pleasing to the eye and how you draw attention that doesn't ever change.

Anyway, I'd also like to stop talking about TNA art as it's complete and no amount of hot air is going to change it. Besides, it's perfectly great the way it is.

1 week later
#2546 2 years ago

A lot of amazing progress from the whitewood without losing any of the "magic". Well done Scott.

#2581 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any chance of a super skill shot?
i.e. hold the flipper on plunge then hit the lit shot?
I could see a super skill of a 1 flip to right orbit, left control gate closes and still hit the hands free. Award is reactor plus 50% to melt down

Maybe let the poor guy finish the various screens and tweaks first, then when you've got the game and played it awhile you can make some gameplay suggestions. It might be just fine without cloning every Lyman game.

#2835 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Would be cool to isolate the signal in analog and do some even cooler things with it.

Probably easier to just do it from the PC inside - it's just Linux running Python, specifically SkeletonGame.

#2839 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I see what your saying. Add alittle code here or there to direct output to an unused gpio to something. But that requires adding it every update.

I bet if you asked nicely, once the production games are out there, they might be willing to add some event output to a USB port as part of the code.

Both Spooky and Scott are approachable and amicable to ideas. Not a guarantee they'll say yes but more likely than from Stern.

#2934 2 years ago

Can I get a 3T version of that onesie?

#2969 2 years ago

They can't hurt, and plastics break on every game.

1 week later
#3076 2 years ago

Assembling a production prototype. Note that it'll all be clean and tidy after!

21272494_1546589222068966_30273683997830636_n (resized).jpg
21430184_1546589208735634_8764832308340457007_n (resized).jpg
21272358_1546589185402303_47077475516634344_n (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3173 2 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

No TNA reveal at Expo? I would think it would bring more exposure to non-Pinsiders if it was available at Expo.

Seems like people are dumping Expo in droves. No custom pinball booth this year, none of the people I know are going.

1 week later
#3408 2 years ago

Spooky is almost at Stern levels of announcing a game and producing it shortly after. Let's hear it for Boo-tique pinball.

#3427 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Trying this again while relevant people are online

It's all Multimorphic boards - P3-ROC, PD-LED, etc. The lamp boards you can get at Pinball Life.

So, I wouldn't worry about board revisions.

#3458 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

What one has the master compnents, pd-16?

PD-16 is the power driver board, for the coils.

The P3-ROC is the "controller" part that connects to the controlling PC and drives all the networked boards like the PD-16 and PD-LED. SW-16 is the switch input board.

This game has *five* PD-LEDs in it - each PD-LED can control 28 RGB LEDs and there's *five* of them - retail price $90 each. The fact that this game is only $5995 is amazing.

#3460 2 years ago

They're buying in lots of 50, though. Not 1000.

1 month later
#3738 2 years ago
Quoted from genex:

whysnow we're considering using TnA for a PAPA Circuit Major - you feeling it's pretty solid to stand up to 2-3 days of constant hammering?

The ones at the PBL open house took a serious beating and were fine.

3 weeks later
#3930 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I like fast games and TNA really seems like you need to be on your toes because the ball seems to be moving fast

The game is a sonofabitch. It hates you and wants you to suffer. You'll like it.

2 months later
#4595 1 year ago

The shaker is well integrated. It's worthwhile.

#4681 1 year ago

Bowen almost got the 9th reactor. Good to see the really skilled players are finding it tough as well.

1 week later
#4830 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

that is only the reason someone will drop the first quarter.

I dunno, I've been watching people on location and novelty seems to play a big part - for example, the Evel Knievel at 50 cents is still doing well despite being around heavy hitters like Star Wars or AFM.

1 month later
#5373 1 year ago

I don't think Spooky should do anything different, but I can say with 100% certainty that I know of four orders that they haven't gotten for TNA because the people involved don't want to wait. Two operators and two collectors have directly told me. Instead the ops in question bought DI and TWD. All four are only interested if they can go down to their distributor and pick it up ASAP.

So it is absolutely true the build delay is costing sales. Now, it's better that Spooky build at the pace they prefer and get the games out instead of overtaxing their output ability, but I just wanted to set the record straight that it does in fact cost actual sales.

#5389 1 year ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I have heard DI is non-routable (except at a barcade) due to the number of places ball get stuck.

The one the op I know bought is doing fine on location. In fact, he bought a DILE even though it cost $1K more because he figured he'd make back that $1K while waiting for Standards to be run (2 month lead time back then).

Quoted from imharrow:

If they really wanted to be the first to route in their area, they should have ordered day 1 and they would have or be getting their machine soon.

You're not thinking like an op. That $1K deposit isn't making them money while it's locked up for 6 months, while that $1K can go towards a Stern they can have on the back of their truck same day and out earning the next.

As for just buying one in 9 months or whatever, they only buy so many games a year, not X+1 if and when TNA is available. Just like Stern isn't making 100% of all games anymore - although the hobby has grown, there's still only so many dollars out there to go around.

I'm just pointing out there is real opportunity lost, I don't actually think Spooky is doing anything wrong - they have a certain production capacity that works for them and will help long term, but it does have a sales cost right now is all.

3 months later
#6430 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I love that there’s a pop champ record. I think pinball has barely scratched the surface as far as implementing achievements like you would see on an XBox game... or like here on Pinside.

Get a GC on an Iron Maiden and sit and watch it list off achievements for five minutes!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside