Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 184 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (2 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (2 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (2 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (2 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (2 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (2 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (2 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (2 years ago)

Post #2530 Game not yet complete and more code and updates and graphics will be coming. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #2942 Link to buy your very own sac rack! Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #3056 Interview from the corn field drive. Part one and part two. Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #3193 Video of first production game. Thanks Deadflip. Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #3284 Place to order a knocker and shaker. Posted by PDFVT (2 years ago)

Post #3335 Good pictures! Posted by johnnyutah (2 years ago)

Post #3431 List of boards in the final game Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Post #3623 Link to buy the custom pingulp. Posted by iEatHands (2 years ago)

Post #3842 launch of interior side mirrors for TNA Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#476 2 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

...Game is not finished and therefore no completed BOM. There are reasonable goals set for price bit no one knows at this time. One possibility to make cost reasonable is to drop the individual displays. I prefer they stay but there is a lot going on and cuts may have to be made.

If they have to drop anything in the backbox for cost it should be the LCD display. Keep the individual score displays, maybe make them alpha-numeric so you can do more with them, maybe add another larger one at the bottom center (maybe multi-row even) for messages and status.

Way more retro-cool than a big dumb LCD that only shows a few video clippy things anyway. This simpler game doesn't need an LCD to show all the stats and movies, etc.

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, I don't think Ben realizes how many people raved in the 90's. I'm 45 and I love electronic music.
“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

Yep. Both Tron and now TA are showing that electronic music rocks in pins!

Plus it's time for pinball companies to start offering products for younger segments of the growing market, and a specialty run game like TA is perfect for that. Can you justify a relatively low run game without milking the high-end collector end of the market price-wise though? It would be refreshing if the answer was "yes".

I'd buy a TA to put in our league location if it ends up being, say 4-$5K, but probably not if it's going to more than that.

#519 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

let me just say... the implementation of the display he has chosen with the animations and everything is excellent, and he has already done a ton of work to get it to the point it's at to make the LCD relevant.... and it is very relevant, so are the smaller scoring displays, I like them too, because why not, and yes I played it at TPF at 1am when there were no distractions at all

Makes sense, the hypothetical was in order to reduce the bill of materials.

Personally, I'd like the *option* of cutting out the LCD and saving $1K, if that were a possibility.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am guessing we will see this on the Proc system since that is how it was originally designed. I just wish/hope it could go on the pinheck as I woudl rather that cost savings go into Scott/Spooky pockets

Why shouldn't the P-roc / multimorphic guys profit from the platform they created that enabled this amazing game to be created by one guy in the first place?

Without them there would be far fewer indy pinball games, period.

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

The fiero game should only be a two player

...and have speakers in the headrests! ...oh.

2 weeks later
#663 2 years ago

Cool! I can't wait to see the artwork...

#674 2 years ago

Leave it to Spooky to show Stern the market exists for an early 80's-like game with simpler rules and gameplay, but with modern touches.

...queue the classic Stern "vault-editions" once this baby becomes a roaring success.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

How do you feel about BSD? Simple rules, one basic goal, difficult to achieve, rewarding when you do.
TNA has the same feel to me. Simple rules, one (well, 9) basic goal, increasingly difficult to achieve, rewarding when you do.
Both of them make you want to play "one more game."

Except TnA has the incredible pounding soundtrack and looks to be way more of an adrenaline rush than BSD, but I get what you're saying about doing a few hard things well.

#741 2 years ago

Did you catch near the end of the podcast where Scott said he was going to show everyone what happens when you destroy the 9th (final) reactor?

I was horrified to hear that, spoiler alert man! You should have to work for that, not be fed it before anyone has even played the game.

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

The spooky interview mentions how little effect the lack of ramps has on the BOM but it didn't mention ( unless I missed it ) how much removing the digital displays would save? probably a lot more than a ramp I would guess. ( yes they're cool but if removing them gets the price closer to what most people in this thread think the machine should cost then why not? )

If by "digital displays" you mean the LCD screen, I agree completely!

1 week later
#876 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

No question I'll watch it but as a mild fan of the first and given Ridley's track record lately, I have my doubts.

Ridley isn't directing.

#991 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Mr. K interviewed Scott for an hour+ in his latest podcast.
Some good info in there for those interested in the project.
Also, just noticed Lionman is on the backglass.

Hard to see how the backglass will look when the 4 LED score displays and LCD display are added to the mix. Mockups anyone?

#1129 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

UUUGGHHHH Hate when I have to listen to Special K....

No kidding, I can't tolerate his solo shows at all, but will listen to his interviews as they are often fairly well done. But you could make a drinking game out of everytime he mentions his f'ing Magic Girl and Star Wars.

#1151 2 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

The backglass shown here is the version they would use if they have to cut out the alpha displays due to cost. There is a second one in development which will include the display openings which will all be aligned along the bottom of the backglass. This second backglass will look just like this one, only with the addition of display openings. They are in the works on having a cost effective version of the alpha displays made. If it works out the backglass show here will not be needed. They are just trying to cover all their bases.

Scott said (in the podcast) that if they can get the costs on the numeric displays down (and he thinks they will), they are considering putting them below the BG, he references "Strange Science" as an example of a solution that would allow them to preserve most of the BG and still have the numeric displays.
Backglass (resized).jpg

This is okay, I can see the appeal as a relatively simple solution from an engineer's perspective, though I personally prefer the numeric displays to be embedded in the middle region of the BG, with mirrored outlines around it, like the Laser War example above.

Strangely enough, at the recent YegPin show in Edmonton I got a chance to play a buddy's Strange Science, interesting game to say the least. Ironically, his displays were wonky from making the trip and got progressively worse as the show went on. He ended up replacing them with LEDs from Nitro Amusements, who were also at the show. So, my point being, that recent experience, and now hearing that Scott is inspired by Strange Science's display placement feels like some kind of time/space looping going on already, which fits the theme of Total nuclear Annihilation perfectly.

#1152 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What is this wacky crap? What's the back story of Cosmic Gunfight? Or Barracora? or ... (shitloads of other old pins).
Ludicrous.

Agreed. All the explanation is actually unnecessary. Your mission is to blow the reactors to a pumpin' soundtrack. 'nuff said.

"Destroy Centaur!"

#1153 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Scott said (in the podcast) that if they can get the costs on the numeric displays down (and he thinks they will), they are considering putting them below the BG, he references "Strange Science" as an example of a solution that would allow them to preserve most of the BG and still have the numeric displays.

This is okay, I can see the appeal as a relatively simple solution from an engineer's perspective, though I personally prefer the numeric displays to be embedded in the middle region of the BG, with mirrored outlines around it, like the Laser War example above.
Strangely enough, at the recent YegPin show in Edmonton I got a chance to play a buddy's Strange Science, interesting game to say the least. Ironically, his displays were wonky from making the trip and got progressively worse as the show went on. He ended up replacing them with LEDs from Nitro Amusements, who were also at the show. So, my point being, that recent experience, and now hearing that Scott is inspired by Strange Science's display placement feels like some kind of time/space looping going on already, which fits the theme of Total nuclear Annihilation perfectly.

3 weeks later
#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sure you're right, but these kind of games aren't about depth, they're about kicking your ass, but in a way that makes you want to try again. Like Donkey Kong, it's not a modern Zelda, it's not an open world game you can approach a ton of ways, it's just simple and hard, with a tease that makes you want to fire it up one more time, get a little further.
That's why I love my Flash Gordon. It's not deep at all, but there's just something magic about firing it up, going for broke, and getting your ass handed to you. When you have a good game and get a little deeper than usual it's amazing, you live for those rare games where you're owning it, and hitting those dope lit spinner sounds, getting the multiplier racked up to 5x.
It's not an easy formula, for every great simple game there are 100 that are just okay or a little boring. But I feel like Scott has nailed it, and the light show and sounds (and the final art) I think bring it to that next level.
Sorry for gushing, this is my bias zone here.

More like Robotron than Donkey Kong, I would say.

#1285 2 years ago

I have to say that I don't get the high-price "none-apologists" that have emerged lately on pinside and podcasts, etc.

Suddenly no pinball machine could possibly be made for less than $6K USD, and Stern's gutted System 11-like features on a Pro model is a "steal" at $5400.

What the h*ll people? You are all complicit in the insanely rising prices of new (and subsequently used) pinball machines. If you plot the prices of NiB machines vs the likely BoM for each over the last 10 years, even 5, you'll see the prices have risen many many times inflation. The only reason for this is that people seem thrilled to pay more for each new release, and usually to get less in terms of playfield features, coils, etc. It's making this hobby unaffordable to a large segment of the population, and I find it annoying as hell.

If Stern could sell their home version pinball ("The Pin") at a profit for $2500, there is no way a SW Pro needs to be >$5k. This is simply the manufacturers milking the current pinball bubble for all that it is worth IMHO.

Anyway, by all means, argue with each over how much higher the price of TnA should be and watch its sales potential collapse. I guess the way the math works it's better for the manufacturers to milk the high end and produce far fewer units, that way profits are high and they don't need to produce as many games. Less games = less games out there, so more future sales potential. Basically every game is a limited run now.

I love what this game is about, but I'd fight all day for the lower price point. Lose the vaporous LCD if you have to, the game is under the glass and through the speakers on this one anyway.

1 month later
#1676 2 years ago

I fear irrational exuberance may have a hold on me but I am loving what this game is all about! Emailed Spooky yesterday.

This game is all about the adrenaline rush. Music pumping that you can feel in your chest, lights pulsating to the rhythm, and balls draining at light speed!

Love a difficult game that really extracts an emotional response. Getting weary of new games with super-complex rules. It should be about playing skill, not knowledge of arcane rules.

Looking forward to the ride!

#1857 2 years ago

I like the clean look to the pf art. The clear rubber is a nice touch too. You have to realize that the lighting brings this game to life, and the pf art seems like it will work well with the lighting to sweep color across the pf.

#2009 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What logic? The game doesn't look exactly how you want it to, so they should change it to make you happy?
I don't mean to be rude to you, but you're crouching your own personal tastes as somehow logic that can't be dismissed, and that's just silly.
It's not changing. Nothing anyone says in this thread is going to make Scott change his vision. If you don't want to buy it then cool. But there's nothing wrong with the art.

...well, if one wanted to be a real badass they could buy the game and then sand the pf down and paint it white.

...I think I'll enjoy the art that it comes with myself.

1 week later
#2276 2 years ago

In at #85!

#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Not only that, just a really good change from the cookie cutter DMDs that everyone has.
I love my newer games, but in my eyes the SS and SYS11 pins are pure pinball. No ball saves, often no multiball, you have to play them well with good skill and confidence to get anywhere.
rd

Totally agree. I usually find myself playing several quick games on my SS machines vs. a much longer longer one on my DMD games these days.

Also, dabbling in competitive events/league has made me realize that investing the time and energy into understanding the rules on modern games well enough to compete effectively is far too much work, and certainly not even really pinball, and almost no fun. I'd much rather be honing my playing skills by actually playing than studying rules to find the best strategies for a particular game. I guess it's sort of the of the difference between playing a classic arcade video game (all action, few rules), and a modern strategy game. These days I'm more interested in the Classics tournaments as it is usually feasible to learn the rules and good strategies on them quickly without hours of pre-research and play.

In a non-competitive environment (say, home play for fun), I do enjoy more modern games when I have the time to invest in learning/experiencing them.

So glad that Spooky is producing this, hopefully this may start a small trend of more affordable boutique games with inventive original themes that are more about the actual play experience (including lights/sounds) and how it makes you feel when you play it than "telling a story".

A pinball machine should have only have 2 buttons - one each for the flippers on each side.
...unless it has magna-save, of course.

#2383 2 years ago

I'll be putting mine on location here in Calgary. Typical prices at our location is $1 per play, 3/$2. As we have $1 (Loonie) and $2 (Toonie) coins here we use coin mechs still.

Depending on just how short the ball times end up being, I'll be pricing either the typical rate, or perhaps .50 per play (2 games for $1). Pretty difficult to price it anything else when $1 is the least you can drop at once.

#2427 2 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Is there a chance for a demo TNA to make it to one of the west coast shows , possibly the Golden State Pinball Festival ( May 2018 )?

How about Vancouver Flipout Pinball Expo! Sept. 22nd. Get that proto game there! Make it happen! Put it in the tournament!!!

#2434 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's era is today, fam. It's got modern flippers.

Hopefully not "modern" Stern single wrap coils though.

#2536 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions! I, and the team working on this project, really appreciate it. Last night was a blast! Don't worry, this code is still beta and I am working very hard on fixing any bugs and free play misspellings (oops). Haha. The display graphics and text are also not finished. Lots more cool stuff coming before production machines leave the factory. You will not be disappointed. Thank you again!

Amazing project Scott! Thanks for bringing classic pinball gameplay back with mindblowing modern touches! #85 here!

Coupla thoughts after watching the stream:

One thing I kept thinking watching the stream is how cool it would be if the white gi would pulsate slightly to the beat, maybe not all the time but certain times or even just while the ball was in the trough before plunging if it would be too distracting (pulsate = slight graduated dimming and brightening).

One other thought is I love the spinner sound but how cool would it be if the sound changed/increased in pitch etc. during a spin (maybe ending in a bass drop if you really nailed it) ala BK's lit spinner. Dynamic spinner sounds really bring a game to life.

Of course, your game and it's looking great, just thought I'd throw those out there.

#2584 2 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

The hilarious thing about you saying this is that we're replacing Blackout and a couple other games to get TNA. My wife and I were joking the other night about how we should ask Scott if he can include the incremental, and extremely annoying, spinner sounds from Blackout so we don't have to miss it.

Not familiar with the Blackout spinner sound so I can't comment on that, but nailing a lit BK spinner is by far my favorite thing/sound in pinball! Esp. if it goes over the "top" and wraps around to the low freqs again. Wha wha wha. So freakin' good! And something like that would be perfect in this game. Link to BK lit spinner sound example:

Quoted from epthegeek:

It'd be fun if the game recognized this and gave you some special display/award

ala "You cheat Jr. Jones!"

Agreed, very cool if it recognized when this happens.

So excited for this game!

#2592 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My favorite is nailing the lit spinner on Flash Gordon, the game I'll probably give up to fit my TNA

Blasphemy! Sell an arcade cabinet instead. Hell, sell them all if you have to.

#2594 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Depends on your crowd. I think the theme is unlikely to draw much casual play. It will be much more popular with league players and serious players.

Mine is going on location where we host leagues and tournament nights. That's the primary driver but I'm sure the music and lightshow will attract the casuals to try it out. They might only play it once though, remains to be seen I guess.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

#2600 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The last 12 minutes of last night's stream is the most worth watching. Charlie talked about how the new higher quality wood + better clearcoat he hopes to hit 2 million hits (with a much more brutal testing rig). Also Scott showed the diagnostics screens which probably give even a router way more information than he could ever imagine, like timestamped switch errors :-0
» YouTube video

I agree. Scott seemed very proud of the stats and diagnostics he's added to the game, and rightly so.

Anyone who's ever tried to track down a sporadic "missing ball" issue on an STTNG can immediately appreciate the value of a timestamped switch log.

Thanks Scott!

#2623 2 years ago

As someone who intends to operate TNA on location the lack of topside complexity appeals to me from a maintenance and cleaning perspective, as everything is pretty accessible.

However, the one concern that I have is the drop-targets. A fast game like Metallica with inline drop targets chews through the targets fairly regularily, I'm a little worried that the targets in the Danesi Lock with have short life spans with all the amazing ball bashing action they will see.

Is Spooky creating new super-strength targets for this, or including 3 sets of spares with the game?

Also, I expect removing the Danesi Lock mech will be one of the more common maintenance tasks, I hope they make it easy to access from the underside, maybe use machine screws for the mounting so it holds up to lots of remove/install cycles?

#2630 2 years ago

I will quickly answer this. The targets used in this game are made from glass reinforced nylon. We have put thousands of plays on the whitewood version of the game and have never had 1 target break or wear out. If a drop target does break, the mechanism is just 3 standard single smart drop targets all in a row. All parts are new production and replacement parts will be available.
These are the drop target mechs to be exact:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4547
In fact, all the parts in this game are standard parts with the exception of the orbit rail, which is custom for the game.

--Scott

That is excellent news!

I was envisioning a complex custom mech but thinking about it I guess you wouldn't have engineered that for your original whitewood game either. Been rebuilding my Flash Gordon recently and was thinking about it as a single unit. Love your approach on this.

#2634 2 years ago

If a roll happens, which will be SUPER rare, it will just drop off the last 0 and continue. There are no scores displayed on the LCD except for in attract mode. The new numeric displays go up to 99,999,999 points, so there's that too. I would love to see someone roll it. haha
--Scott

Cue the Keith Elwin stream in 3-2-1...

#2737 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you guys aren't familiar with the work Scott has done on the sound system for this game check these old blog posts:
Tuning Your Subwoofer: http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=757
SkeletonGame and Beyond: http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=733
First one has technical details, second one has some good development photos of the sub chamber. There's a reason this game bumps!

Very interesting stuff.

Regarding the Sub Chamber, is the woofer speaker just sitting on the wood floor of the chamber, or some kind of small standoffs so there is an air gap between it and the floor, or is there another hole through the cabinet below the speaker in addition to the 4" round one on the other side of the chamber?

EDIT> Upon closer inspection and looking up other examples of Sub Chambers on the net, the speaker has a cutout below it as well and is mounted directly to the floor of the chamber. How much space is there between the bottom / magnet of the speaker and top cover for the chamber?

I'd kind of like to make one of these for my Metallica, it has the Flipper Fidelity sub in but doesn't produce much and rattles everything in the game. I wonder if it would improve the bass output and reduce the rattle without an additonal sub for the bass?

#2746 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

True still silicone. I don't have a ton of experience with either brand, but i felt the perfect play were a bit more bouncy then the titans on my Shadow

PerfectPlay only has a few rubber sizes though.

I use the PerfectPlay flipper rubber on my STTNG and Metallica and like their characteristics. However, they don't last long enough on location. I find they will break at the narrow end of the flipper within a few weeks with heavy play unless I turn them slightly to move the "thin spot" around to the back of the flipper. If I do that they last a few months at least.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Me too lol! My best guess is Scott has to sign each and every machine.
He deserves it.
We deserve it
So looking forward to TNA #136

Haha. I actuallyed emailed Kayte to ask if I could get his signature on my PF before it is cleared. Haven't heard back yet.

Given that Scott has designed the playfield, built and selected the mechanical components (mech. eng.), wrote the sw, and created all the sound effects and music, not to mention did all the early promotion work himself (blogs, streams, shows) until it had already garnered a fan base big enough for Spooky to be able to justify producing it, it is uniquely HIS game.

No other pinball machine in history that I am aware of was produced to this extent by one person's vision and talents. I would actually prefer if the official game name was "Scott Danesi's Total Nuclear Annihilation". That would look awesome on the backglass.

Failing that, I think he should sign every playfield under the clear, even if they have to charge a reasonable extra fee for doing so.

#2783 2 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

I can go without paying for a signature. Unless it's like a $1 in which case sign away I guess

That's why I said "reasonable".

#2790 2 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Never heard of this opportunity to get a shaker for free. I was told that my order number is around #32...am I a lucky one/what did people have to do to get a free shaker?

Had to order during a 5 min window when the last stream was on, there were 5 available (next five orders get a free shaker courtesy of Pinball Life).

Kind of annoying for the rest of us. I guess a "free" Scott Danesi signature under the clearcoat on my PF will make up for it.

#2849 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

My prediction is at-least 12 on route in the world by 3 months into production.

#85 is going on route in Calgary, AB shortly after arrival...

...but only if Scott Danesi signs the playfield!

#2889 2 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

TIL there are way more $1 coins laying around than I realized. Are you guys just hoarding them all for your sac parties?

Well up here in Canada, all the games accept $1 "Loonie" coins, and $2 "Toonie" coins. Makes it simple.

...but then we use the Metric system too, so I guess we're just more 'advanced'.

#2891 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If I order a Canadian pinball machine and have it shipped to the US, what type of coins would it accept? Oh, wait...

Lol. Kayte indicated that if I wanted Cdn coin mechs factory installed on my TNA it would probably be possible, but would also probably be very expensive. I'm looking into local alternatives.

#2898 2 years ago

Okay, unless I missed something, we still haven't seen the "Scott promised..." pics of the underside of the PF. Correct? Any update on that?

Also, I am very curious to learn what the PF raising/lifting mechanism will be for TNA? Since the custom cabinet is modelled after an 80's Bally cabinet, can we expect the same "2 hooks" system where you have to hoist the entire PF weight to lift it off one hook and down on the other so you can fully raise it and have it rest against the head. This move is always fun to try to perform with my seemingly 500lbs Medusa PF - not!

Or maybe a nice set of LED backlit, super-sexy laser-etched carbon-fiber service rails? Something else?

#2907 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Pinball machines are (mostly) made in 'merica, gonna use 'merica measurin'

Truth be told I grew up with both and since there are only a handful of bolt head sizes commonly used in pinball it works out. I generally know if a wrench is imperial it belongs with my pinball tools.

#2947 2 years ago

Dang, I just finished a PBL order (got the t-shirt!).

thenotrashcougar Can you share what the playfield lift mechanism will be on TNA? Any underside pics yet?

#2970 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Plastic protectors...worth it? I have never placed them on my games except to protect Arwin on LOTR. Necessary on TNA for HUO?

How much will replacement plastics be? More than $35?

As mine is going on location it's a no-brainer to add the protectors, plus, I actually prefer the look of them with the clear edge extending slightly out from all sides of each plastic.

...one could argue that they should be included if they are recommended so heavily, but I guess the free sac rack with every game, and Scott's signature under the clear on every playfield is plenty of additional freebies already!

1 week later
#3071 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Beat the wizard mode ...the second time around.

Pretty sure that's not how this works...

#3081 2 years ago

Same flipper coils as my STTNG! Now you're playing with Power!

EDIT: I almost forgot - holy friggin' ribbon cables!

#3109 2 years ago

Damnit Scott! I literally just ordered the stodgy old brown one yesterday! This is twice in a row I order stuff a day too early at PinballLife. Next time I'll ask if any new goodies are on the way before I place my order.

#3134 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

So, there are going to be two service rails crammed into that?

Indeed. The rails will have to attach near the outside edges of the pf as well since there will be zero room under the cab for them with the bass enclosure there.

I was going to make an enclosure for my 10" sub in my MET but the service rails are already almost touching the speaker magnet now.

Exciting watching the production unit coming together!

#3219 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I look forward to seeing photos of this game in people's collections that have early 80s classics like Eight Ball Deluxe and Medusa!

I'll post mine when it comes in Nov., right between Medusa and Flash Gordon, with Star Gazer off to the side!

...but it won't be there long as it hits our local league location come January.

#3237 2 years ago

I've been watching the new Deadflip stream with the 1st production machine and it really looks awesome!

One thing I noticed though that bugs the crap out of me when watching the stream, anyway, is the rate at which the active player's score display flashes. It's far slower than any classic SS game I know of, and is a bit slower than the music tempo, which just bothers me. Maybe it could flash in time to the music beat?

Or if not that, then flash about twice as fast. It kind of feels like it's lagging a bit the way it is now. Stuff I notice...

#3306 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just curious... is there that secret thing we talked about in the code? hoping it made it in.
also, what did you decide the reactor standups will be used for?

Oh gawd, are you telling me that TNA has unused targets, like the city inserts in Kiss? Say it isn't so!

#3307 2 years ago

Yes it was, but then again, I can call it whatever number I want. The code is complete and there are no missing modes, animations, audio, etc. I will be doing a code update a bit after people start getting their games and bugs start being found. At this time, I have no plans to add anything else to the game, but who knows.
--Scott

I think you should call it "v1980", and then just increment the years/versions as you need to from there.

#3360 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

How cool would it be to show off TNA at the Pinball Life party and be like, "and the first 50 are going out next week!". It's a long shot...but it's something to think about.

I predicted just that about a month ago!

#3402 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No offense, man. I just picture Charlie and Kayte in the front seat of the car. All of you are kids in the back.
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Well... Are we???

#3404 2 years ago

Okay, enough pointless bickering and arguing over meaningless "filler" posts made when folks were over-caffeinated this morning.

Let's get back to the game.

The pictures clearly show that they've used some technique to slightly cloud/opaque the inserts. You can still see the burst pattern in them, but it has a white haze. I assume that this is to allow them to reflect more of the LED light color, thus appearing as a more consistent color on the playfield when lit (solid round insert consistently colored). A perfectly clear insert would have a sharp point of colored light in it, and would also be fairly blinding to the player.

This is brilliant and mitigates the otherwise player-blinding nature of the bright flashing LED inserts (re: GoT)!

So, is this part of the PF painting process, the insert colors themselves (my guess), or are they maybe using a 90's Williams clearcoat formula that ends up fairly opaque vs. modern Sterns CC?

#3433 2 years ago

Totally makes sense. You can purchase them now from pinballcontrollers.com.
TNA uses the following P-ROC boards:
1x - P3-ROC - http://pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p3-roc
4x - SW-16s - http://pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/sw-16
2x - PD-16s - http://pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/driver-boards/power-driver-16
5x - PD-LEDs - http://pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/driver-boards/pd-led
The custom lamp boards and LEDs will be up on Pinball Life's website soon.
Power supplies:
48vdc Power Supply - Mean Well SE-600-48
5vdc/12vdc Power Supply - Mean Well RD-65A
Hope that helps.
--Scott

Hesus Christopher! I hope you're getting a substantial volume discount on these Scott/Spooky - impressive!

...and the underplayfield pic. is a mind blower. I'm not planning any PF swaps on this thing anytime soon...

#3494 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am curious what flipper they thought was dominant? I find it to be very even for use of both flippers, requires lots of active play, and is important to be good at drop pass, drop catch, passive pass, back hands, and even tap passing.

It's the little midget flipper on the upper playfield, you basically use that for 3/4 of the game.

#3500 2 years ago

Li'l Nuker!

1 week later
#3559 2 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Yes that is correct.....Lit side rails are coming.
One round is planned but as the deliveries and production ramps up we can do another round later.
Looks like I will not have a machine till 2018 but Scott has agreed to install a set and do some glam shots for me.

Be nice if this was a factory install option. I'm not too keen on the idea of ripping my siderails off my NIB game to add them myself.

Someone needs to figure out a way to add a plasma pop bumper cap to this game that will let the LED coloring through. Thinking transparent with white plasma would look good. The plasma would only run if the reactor was critical or somesuch.

#3564 2 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

What is the point you are trying to make? Clearly more than one machine has been built. I've played Joe's, it's real. You can call Ed's machine the first or a sample but I really don't get where you're going with that. These aren't numbered "LE" models.

This type of nitpicky attempting to classify games as they arrive drives me a bit nuts too. If it was made by the factory using the final, production spec parts, it's a production machine. If it was made with prototype parts that might be altered before final production, then it's a prototype machine.

From everything i've read/heard they are producing production machines now. There was only one prototype machine produced (I think).

#3574 2 years ago

Are the ramp shots as difficult to make as people say??

#3585 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hell yes! How else am I ever going to make it to reactor 9...

Uh... I don't think you actually are. It's supposed to be aspirational, but not really something anyone can ever achieve, you know, like Valhalla/Heaven.

1 week later
#3624 2 years ago

Any news from the Pinball Life party/ TNA launch party?

#3628 2 years ago

Did Charlie say anything regarding how many games will ship soon, etc. etc.?

#3636 2 years ago

I ended up bringing my personal production game to Expo and putting it at the Double Danger booth!

Those mirror blades are sweet!

Are they part of the sideblades package now? (hoping...)

2 weeks later
#3741 2 years ago

Been awhile since anyone posted a NIB arriving. spookycharlie any news you care to share on how production ramp up is progressing? I need to know soon if X-mas might be cancelled at my house.

1 week later
#3860 2 years ago

That is purposely dealt with in the code. The lock mech knows the ball is there, but it does not actually award a multiball unless you can free the balls. It is working correctly.
--Scott

Is this a potential "You Cheat Dr. Jones!" opportunity? If the player manages to knock the 2nd drop target down by tapping the first, but the first doesn't drop itself, perhaps that could be a special award of some kind in itself?

I love those kinds of surprises in the SW.

1 month later
#4088 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Someone asked for photo of scoop. IMHO this game has more plays in the past 2 months on route than most games will see in their lifetime in a HUO environment.
i see NO need for any sort of cliffy. The pf quality is top notch and the mantis style internal part appears to be doing its job.

Wow! That looks great!

I do see 3 divots in the pf shine on that shot.

Does the ball airball off the “Destroy” target? I wonder if a clear protector ala Sparky’s feet on MET is something to consider?

#4090 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

If you are worried about those tiny marks - you shouldn't play your game. That is nothing for the amount of plays...

Agreed. Failed attempt at sarcasm on my part.

17F6F7F5-DE34-43BD-9C70-D2B80DB35E77 (resized).jpeg
Airball question was legit though.

1 month later
#4667 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Unless I'm mistaken, the last digit reactor counter will only record in a high score if the score is on the board for being a high score. But there may be instances where you can defeat the most reactors and not get on the board, or defeat most reactors and be 4th on the board.

Yeah, but if a reactor is destroyed in the forest, but it's not multiplied, is it really destroyed at all?

Seriously though, I do like the idea of having a separate Reactor Count high score list, esp. as an operator of the game, as it gives newbies a simpler objective that counts for something, adding in multipliers when killing reactors is then more of an advanced move, as it should be. Also allowing the operator to configure if the list resets daily, weekly, monthly, etc. would be nice too.

#4683 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Bowen almost got the 9th reactor. Good to see the really skilled players are finding it tough as well.

F'in hell! I said if Elwin posted a video of him killing the 9th reactor before mine arrived I'd cancel my order.
...mine is on a truck now, c'mon hurry!

1 week later
#4791 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nope! I should make one just to annoy Scott though.

total-anihillation (resized).jpg

#4814 1 year ago

I wonder what will happen if Spooky is sitting on orders for say, 1500 games in a few months once the brain-virus that is the TNA experience starts to ramp up in the wild?

#4829 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I wish every manufacturer would go the Spooky pricing policy. Here's what the game costs out the door. I hate having to call around distributors and finding out who will give me the best deal. It's annoying and pointless and just makes you feel shitty when you hear about someone else that got a much better deal for the same exact thing.

...you're discounting the positive glow it can provide if you're the guy who got a better deal though.

#4834 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't find any of the new games actually casual friendly. I think pinball people forget just how confusing these games are to people who don't play them, and often don't realize there are even rules, let alone ideas like "starting a mode".
Like Star Wars for instance, that game isn't remotely friendly to someone who doesn't play. What exactly are they supposed to figure out how to do if they don't grasp the basics already? We're talking about people who don't know you can start a 4 player game on a pin, who don't understand what "lock is lit" means. These lock in your multiplier rules are greek to them.

GotG is though. Players instintively shoot at Groot, and then, well, keep shooting at Groot. That's the game!

#4857 1 year ago
Quoted from onceler:

If you are trying to estimate when a game in the late hundreds or higher will be ready, its better to see what they can do in the next week or month and then base it off that versus trying to see how fast they have run thus far. There was initial supply constraints that needed to be worked out... couple that with the holidays, flu season & butter/over seas/operator games and the end result won't be a good number to predict a game that is farther off.

Plus they've added some staff recently, but also will need to start producing Alice Cooper games soon enough as well.

1 week later
#4891 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

#75 safe and sound.

That MET is going to feel like an EM after you get velocitized to TNA!

#4900 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mine is at 6.6°
Only real tweak I've made so far is to turn down the autolaunch plunger to its lowest setting.

Why is that? Trying to have the autoplunger make your reactor skill shot for you?

I turned down my trough kickout a bit but have resigned myself to needing a cliffy on the plunger lane wall.

#4903 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I added this on mine.

Yep. That’s the ticket.

#4910 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

7.4 here. Go steep or go home.

I bet it would play easier at that angle than 6.5. Easier to trap balls on the flippers and less dangerous lateral action. You’re actually cheating!

#4953 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

...or enter the upper right scoop during the 2 secs before the drops reset just after releasing/starting MB.

Had this happen last night (on beta code), pretty sweet!

#4961 1 year ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Multi-ball stealing has been a feature long before TNA came around. It makes for intense competition. Makes your buddies more involved on watching your turn waiting for you to screw up so they can capitalize on it.

Absolutely. Plus, once you become a bit "skilled" on TNA having a ball or two already locked is certainly nice, but isn't an "instant win" button by any means. Expanding on that a bit, I generally find it very difficult to make the left scoop and especially the orbit shots while in 3 ball multiball. So starting multiball is often just a really good way to lose 3 balls quickly.

Sometimes I'll tee up my MB so I can start it once the reactor is critical and desperately try to make the kill shot while i have 3x multipliers running from it. So this is no "just get MB and you'll win" type of game. Your mileage may vary but MB is a blessing and a curse for me.

#5033 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Don’t know if this has been asked before...
Are there audio outs on the game somewhere? Incase I want to hook up another sub, or sound system ?

I *think* there's a spare mini headphone plug jack on the back of the monitor, but not sure if that's what it's for.

In any case, other than maybe headphones use, I don't think you will need an external sub or sound system, this game sounds better than any pinball I've heard.

1 week later
#5151 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

After I got home from playing Nimble's TNA last night I tried to recreate the glory I had just found.
So I had a few drinks and a few rips and started playing whatever newer games I have. Man, do those seem obsolete now!
I ended up playing Skateball until three in the morning and thanked the lord I at least have that one. It's gonna have to do for now.
Again, what is the wait time on getting a TNA?

That’s the TNA effect!

You get so velocitized by TNA and the endorphine rush that other “normal” games lose their appeal. Let’s call it High Intensity Pinball (HIT).

Playing Metallica afterwards I’m thinking “Why does it take the ball so long to come back to the flippers? These ramps must be the longest ramps ever...”

#5161 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Great game. Great company. Can’t say enough. One weird thing: i’ve now had 2 different flipper return springs break. I just take the next ring down and bend them back in place, so no harm done, but why is this happening? Did they use a different type of spring than is typical? I’ve never had this happen in any other game, ever, including other Spooky games.

Same thing happened to me, both bottom springs kept breaking. I swapped them out for a little thicker version I had and no problems since.

In my case they kept breaking at the flipper mech hole, not the pawl. Not sure if the hole was unusually sharp or the springs were poor quality.

I would replace the springs if you can. Worked for me.

#5219 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Nice... it’s either Alice or Maiden.

Only 500 ACNC's will be made. You can buy Maidens for years likely...

#5236 1 year ago

Virtually endless replay value with all these amazing custom play-modes!

Scott should have included a little fake-wood toggle switch to set the game mode you want to play on the lockdown bar...

atari (resized).jpgtelegames (resized).jpg

#5434 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

That ain't the worst of it. If there's a healthy market at $7 to $10K, why would a business leave money on the table? I don't see it, but apparently, enough of you do.

Because it’s family owned and not beholden to shareholders, and believe it ir not, money isn’t everything.

#5452 1 year ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Any hints?
With such a great layout, seems like you could throw in a few modes, to quiet down the “it’s repitious”guys.

Dude, it already has a bunch of modes:
- complete the keypad mode
- shoot the left scoop to start reactor mode
- take the reactor critical mode
- blow the reactor mode
- plus the multiball jackpots are a hurry-up in that the targets will start to reset in a few seconds so you need to get the 2x, 3x, super quickly.

2 weeks later
#5597 1 year ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Upper flipper stopped working yesterday. Popped the hood and found this. Make sure you torque this screws!

Same thing happened to my upper flipper too, luckily I caught it after only 1 screw fell out. Not sure why the upper had this problem but the lowers remained tight.

I applied a little locktight to the screws when I tightened them up.

#5605 1 year ago

Hey Guys,
Co Op Mode is ready! I just posted the latest software on my site for you guys to download.
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=1388
Here is the changelog:

Incredible work Scott!

#5655 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Coming VERY soon!!! I promise. Parts are all finally here and we just need to get the kits assembled.
MGC this weekend, and we'll get after it early next week.

Yay! Quit spending so much time building other people's TNA's and ACNC games and focus on what's important, decking *my* TNA out with fancy mods!

...I guess factory-installation isn't going to be an option for me either!

#5700 1 year ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I played a TNA at the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. However one criticism I have is the quality of the LCD screen. I don't know if this TNA had a faulty panel but the image looked washed out and also had awful viewing angles. I'm 6'3" and if I crouched down to the height of a 12 year old the image improved a lot. The table was next to a Heighway Pinball Alien and the LCD in the backbox of theat looks so much better with even viewing angles and strong contrast and colours.
Before anyone says "The image is supposed to be degraded and old and 80s" I do understand this but the panel looked horribly unsaturated and the fact that it looked different from other angles suggest to me its a hardware issue.
Is this a general issue or possibly a defective panel or installation? Maybe caused by UK power supply?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247403856
This is the actual machine in action and as you can see it being streamed the direct video feed looks great, low res but strong colours and saturation. In real life the screen looks much worse.

It's not you, it's the display. You can improve it by adjusting the contrast and brightness using the on-screen menu via the buttons on the back of the display, but it really washes out the higher you view it above the playfield. Probably not the best choice of unit for this use-case. Looks fine if viewed at level.

I even considered modifying the mounting screws using nylon bushings to tilt the top of the display back into the head and provide a better viewing angle from the players perspective (similar to the angle Stern uses on theirs). You'd also have to fashion something to cover the gap that would be created between the mounting board and the edges of the monitor if you did that.

#5747 1 year ago

I did this on my TNA on location to help with the Ghost Warnings. Don't have any scientific measurements to prove that it helped but it seemed to.

#5755 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I asked this on the other thread and hate to be redundant, but does having the speaker kit installed while being built eliminate any of the stock parts?

I highly doubt it. Stock the speakers are just covered with speaker material (cloth).

2 weeks later
#5928 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I had some issues today.
1: When the shaker started I got a load of noise through the amp?
2: STDM from the scoop a good few times
3: pop bumper not as sensitive as I think it should be?
1+3 I will check the cabling and switches but anyone had 2 and what did you do about it?
Neil.

#1 I had the same issue with mine. I got a replacement audio cable from Spooky but even then it was occasionally making a horrible shorting sound through the speakers. Traced it to the audio input on the amplifier on the bottom right of the cabinet. Make sure the cable is fully inserted and runs straight into the jack, no bend at all. I used a zip tie to secure it to the cable bundle running along the right edge of the cabinet and no issues since. Similar issue can occur with the audio jack on the back of the monitor. Make sure the cable runs straight into it with no bends or tension on it.

#2 is your game level side-to-side? If so, you might try adjusting the coil strength for the left scoop up or down a few notches (probably up).

#3 try cleaning the switch under the pop bumper by running a old business card between the leafs while holding them together. Might be a little oil or something on it from manufacturing.

#5929 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I played this at Atlantic Trap and Gill in Calgary last weekend, I played about 8 games, that thing kicked my ass, I loved it!!! Hit about 665,000 and I was pretty proud of that since a bad game can net you about 23,000 lol. Awesome sound, loved the depth to hearing the music, I almost found myself tapping my foot non-stop to the beat.

That's my baby at the Trap and Gill! Glad you liked it.

I hauled it up to Yegpin in Edmonton for the Western Canadian Pinball Championships tournament this weekend and it was very well received. Game was setup really friggin' mean too. I love how you can tweak the difficulty so easily by adjusting the sling, pop coil strength ever so slightly, and of course, ball save timeouts.

I was kind of worried that because most players have not had much time on it yet that it might go unpicked in the finals round but the opposite was true and it was in heavy rotation.

1 week later
#6094 1 year ago

Be sure to update that software!!!
--Scott

Haha! Like yelling “Fire!” in a crowded theater.

2 weeks later
#6274 1 year ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Residential delivery for #153 is scheduled for tomorrow. Can't f'ing wait!!! Order originally placed on 8/17/17 during DeadFlip's TNA/Jetsons Reveal Stream.
Fully expecting TNA to give Metallica some stiff competition for the 'Most Frequently Played Game' title in my growing collection.

Awesome! Once you play a bunch of TNA you get velocitized to its amazing speed and the shots on Metallica will start to feel long, safe, and slow.

1 month later
#6479 1 year ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

TNA is everything I was hoping Iron Maiden would be. Maiden is complete garbage thrown together with a license slapped on it and TNA is a work of GENIUS!

You are wrong sir! How do I know? I have impeccible taste in pinball.

1 month later
#6800 1 year ago

I am not spooky tech support, but you probably have a failing Maxim chip on the back of one of the display modules. You can get these here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4956

Interesting. On my game one of the displays will drop out during a game about 1/4 of the time on multiplayer games. After you added the display reset at end of game I assumed it was “normal”. But is it?

#6802 1 year ago

That is not normal. That is a failsafe that restarts the displays in case of a glitch so you dont lose your scores. Check the wiring and wiggle it a bit and see if there is a flaky connection on the display modules.

Will do. I just thought it was “bad programming”!

4 weeks later
#6931 1 year ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

these...

check them out. I ordered them for mine... they are from LED OCD... they look very cool!
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=34

I second this recommendation, these look very sharp!

3 months later
#7188 10 months ago

I dreamt last night that Scott had added in the original iconic "beep" to the soundtrack, shows up one in every 5 games played...

...was it just a dream?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brownstown Charter Township, MI
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside