Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (7 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (6 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (6 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (6 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (6 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (6 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (6 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So popular no one has heard of it but you?

1. You're kidding, right?

2. REALLY. REALLY!?!

Pretty much anyone that's ever given two craps about RTS games is probably at least somewhat aware of TA, even if they didn't seriously play it. Very unique game as far as RTS games go.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've heard of Planetary Annihilation (released a few years ago), but not Total Annihilation. My RTS experience kind of started and ended with some of the first Age of Empires games.

I went and alpha tested Age of Empires 2 at Ensemble Studios...

#114 7 years ago

The cost in RGB lights isn't the hardware, it's the wiring and time spent coding for them. Let's please not make it seem like 1.50 versus 1.00 is a HUGE DEAL even when there's a hundred of them. I think we'd all be happy to foot the 50 bucks a game if it was simply a hit on the cost of those versus regular single-color LEDs.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

They're all direct controlled with PD-LED boards from Multimorphic, not some inferior serial chain garbage. So yeah, there's cost in hardware.

I find it really hard to do anything but ignore your post after your choice of words, so I guess I'll give you a chance to actually explain your stance. Given that no production facility in their right mind would be likely to choose to direct wire 100+ RGB LEDs, why do you call a serial method "garbage"? Just because the Multi.....

Quoted from fastpinball:

Here we go again...
Aaron
FAST Pinball

LOL

Yeah, I'm done. Couldn't even get the post out beforehand... He picked what was right for his situation. That doesn't mean that it's "right" for mass production viability.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's very electrically noisy under a pinball machine, lots of interference

Is there some legitimate reason that shielded cabling can't be used here?

Quoted from epthegeek:

Ask JJP about how much money they've 'burned' on light board changes/revisions/replacements/etc - what exactly about any of that is "right" for mass production?

So why isn't Stern having issues on the same level as JJP? They're using serial now as well, if I'm not mistaken?

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

PD-LED - RS485 to LED boards.

Let me preface this whole thing by saying that I'm extremely interested in this subject and want to learn as much as I can, because I have two custom pin projects that I'd REALLY like to do in the near future, and I'm a learner at heart. If any of this comes off....dickish..it's really not intended as such, I'm just overly excitable when it comes to tech nerdery.

Okay, I get the fact that PD-LED boards are expensive because they AREN'T mass produced. I assume cost would come down substantially if they were, for a production machine. I agree that the cost of those isn't negligible. So let's ignore that for a sec..

I'm just trying to bump up my level of technical knowledge here, because it seems we're just talking at cross-purposes about the same bloody thing, and Ep doesn't really seem to want to coherently explain what he said, only provide one company (that's produced two actual games) that did it wrong. PD-LED uses serial COMMUNICATION (RS485 is a serial COMMUNICATION protocol. PD-LED doesn't "talk to LED boards via RS485" AFAIK?!?), but the LEDs themselves are not wired *SERIALLY*, which I never suggested is the best way to handle it. I might even be willing to admit that I might've originally confused -myself- on the difference.

So again, I'm back to my original question. What's the freakin' beef with serial COMMUNICATION, given that Scott is using PD-LED, and it works fine, Stern's use seems to be fine or is it only serial *wiring of addressable lamps* that people/JJP are having an issue with, which doesn't even affect the PD-LED because that's not how it's designed to operate.

Someone shoot me a *PM* if they care to have this discussion, I don't want to clog up the thread any further with my knowledge chase.

Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I would say that stern is just lucky.... For the moment

Oh right, just like they got lucky with so many other quality control things, right? Sorry, I don't buy this at all.

NOW....

Back on topic, thanks for posting that top-down shot of the playfield.. I couldn't watch enough of the streams to figure out what was going on, it's much clearer how the game shoots to me now. Can't wait to see it in person next week!

3 weeks later
#318 6 years ago

Oh crap... o.o

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Mods should just ban anyone from this thread who suggest changes to Scott.

Yeah, let's even further perpetuate the screeching grind towards Pinside becoming "Fluffy Pinball Safety Forum" where nobody can have an opinion.

Ban yourself, grow the hell up, take some responsibility, and if you have a problem with people, then put them on ignore. DUH.

#474 6 years ago

Pretty sure that's accurate, John. It's a rule I can understand and have maaaaybe about 5% disagreement with. "Complete" is kind of in the eye of the beholder ESPECIALLY when it comes to rules and code. If the thing is physically complete, has art and a final layout, and a fun ruleset in place, I don't think there's any reason to hold it back.

Buffy, for example, looked great, interesting layout, but I felt the shots were TERRIBLE, or the way it was sitting was terrible, and I played both of them. No clear goals in the code IMO, shots frequently returned STDM on perfectly made shots....just not even fun to play for me (Sorry if you post here, whoever is responsible for that thing..it just didn't vibe with me, which should be fine. I heard a TON of praise for it at the show, which is the only reason I played it in the first place...I know absolutely NOTHING about the show!) I'm sure it was in contention for BiS, but if I was a judge, it never would have won for those reasons. Which is probably why I'll never be a judge...among a million other reasons. ;P

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Let's kill this notion that there's beef that TA was robbed. No one cares about Buffy. In many ways the best custom in show award is really a second place award to Scott's very well deserved "most likely to actually be built by Spooky pinball". Scott rules and we are a happy family.

I care enough to ask some questions, because the presentation of the game is ridiculously good, and you're entirely right...I didn't really spend enough time to form a coherent opinion but damn...it bent me over BSD-style. PM sent!

2 weeks later
#693 6 years ago

Man that head looks HUGE on that cabinet. While I love the retro displays and whatnot, I gotta say, as someone with limited space it's a real friggin' bummer. With my current space, I can fit 5 games AS LONG as 3 of them are WPC or modern Sterns. To fit anything else with a big head I'd have to sell Crescendo (repainted and cleared playfield NOT going to happen) or Farfalla (Good luck pyring it out of my cold, dead hands.) to fit a big head game, or get rid of WPT (being used for Voltron) or Metallica (Honestly I'd like to be done with MET but it ain't my game. ). Hopefully one of my space/dollar-rich locals will be getting one of these. Didn't get to play nearly enough at TPF.

#700 6 years ago

Total Nuclear Fallout N' Annihilation

TNF'nA.

#701 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Then I guess you do what the rest of us classic collectors do.....rotate them in and out of storage.

If I had money for climate controlled storage.... I'd already be doing this, or wouldn't live in a 975 sq ft. condo? There's a reason I've been through 41 games in 6 years. It wasn't because I didn't want to keep games...it's because I had to sell games to get games.

1 week later
#953 6 years ago

I really don't get the comments that the female character looks like she's from another time...

THAT'S THE ENTIRE...GAWDDAMN...STORYLINE, PEOPLE. YOU TRAVEL ONE-WAY IN TIME TO BLOW UP THE REACTORS. >_<;;;

#1000 6 years ago

I literally snorted at the Crystl Cola... awesome.

#1004 6 years ago

Barrel with "parts from Terry" heh.

#1135 6 years ago

Cannot tell if serious.

2 months later
#1848 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Meh. You can tell they photo-shopped that.

beb1fa922f6b2be040bb0fd67181342d3f6ced00 (resized).jpgbeb1fa922f6b2be040bb0fd67181342d3f6ced00 (resized).jpg

#2075 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

This do still exist?

I know of at least 4 within 10 miles of my house...probably more.

#2173 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This suggestion is more topical than I would care for right now.

And what are any of us going to do other than laugh about it? Nothing.

Might as well go down turning into mush playing a pinball about it. How meta is that?

#2177 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

So wait....now Houdini is $6K shipped?? Freaking AWESOME!! Thanks Joe.

Okay, I admit it... I laughed.

#2301 6 years ago

I'm epically jealous of you all.

#2322 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I may be sleeping under the pinballs if two more showed up this year...

Shoudl've full restored Future Spa and sold it to me...

#2365 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

wacky widebodies like Scorpion, which is a really fun game that probably not enough people have even played.

I have! Good example of what a widebody should be..that thing is just PACKED with stuff.

#2367 6 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Going to use normal pricing around (San Francisco) here which is $1/play or $2/3 - may not do the $2/3 and just do $2/2 though initially - will see...

Hey nice...didn't know you were even on here. So you do photography and route games? Odd mix.

#2570 6 years ago

Wha? Wax, or clear? Those are two vastly different things and I dunno about anyone else, but I wouldn't pony up 1k extra just for the cabinet to be direct print instead of a decal.

Wax costs 15 bucks and lasts me 2-3 years.. clearcoating a cab would likely cost me around 600 bucks if I got someone to do it local to me.

#2638 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If you roll the score it should start displaying in hexadecimal.

HELL.

YES.

#2640 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I really hate it when people come up with cool ideas that I'll never actually get to see in real life.

Like Valinor or SWEDEMEDNWNEDLDNEAM? Or in my case, Encore?

#2788 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

You know the whole family is pumped about this game when the toddler just wants to lay there and listen to thenotrashcougar 's beats while we watched the stream...he'd literally get upset every time I'd stop the video. After years of collecting and owning dozens of titles, TNA will be our first NIB... which is the highest compliment you can pay a designer and manufacturer in this biz!

As the embarrassed owned of two former toddlers, my suggestion is to turn off the video and only leave the music. If you think the screeching behavior is just because of the sound... LOL....you'll soon find out otherwise. Do yourself a HUGE favor and kill the screen time for the kiddos. You'll thank me in a few years when you aren't listening to them yell OH MY GAWWWWWD 20 times a day at the top of their lungs like some moronic youtube streamer, and repeating commercials constantly.

That's as far off topic as I'm going.

I need to be in batch 27. Hopefully sometime in 2020.

#2893 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

It would be really cool to have one of these sac racks built into the apron or coin door.

Meh. Leave mods to the modders. The less proprietary stuff there is on a game the better IMO!

(and the apron is under the glass?)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.