Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (7 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (7 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (7 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (7 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (6 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (6 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (6 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What is the grid of lights between the slings for?

Bonus. Oldschool style.

#44 7 years ago

It's also good that it's a homebrew game and this thread is daydreaming.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

The gameplay, sound and layout all looked great. I was curious though if the alpha/numeric displays were a necessity because there wasn't code for scoring on the lcd or if it was an intentional aesthetic choice.

Intentional choice.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it could. It doesn't cost as much as you think to make a pinball machine. Wasn't that long ago you could buy NIB for $3400. So you know the production costs are wayyyyyy cheaper.

For stern. With everything in mass quantity.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The cost in RGB lights isn't the hardware, it's the wiring and time spent coding for them. Let's please not make it seem like 1.50 versus 1.00 is a HUGE DEAL even when there's a hundred of them. I think we'd all be happy to foot the 50 bucks a game if it was simply a hit on the cost of those versus regular single-color LEDs.

They're all direct controlled with PD-LED boards from Multimorphic, not some inferior serial chain garbage. So yeah, there's cost in hardware.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'm done. Couldn't even get the post out beforehand... He picked what was right for his situation. That doesn't mean that it's "right" for mass production viability.

Ask JJP about how much money they've 'burned' on light board changes/revisions/replacements/etc - what exactly about any of that is "right" for mass production?

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Rules/modes, this could be a good place to spitball

Scott doesn't want spitballs from random pinsiders. He just wants to make his game.

Edit: Upon further reflection, you probably know this and are just trolling him.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I just find it Highly amusing how much of an expert you are in an area you support, but have no real experience in. All you have is a large wallet and an obsession with making sure games like this don't see large runs

Shady as it may sound, he's not wrong. Limited production runs give it that "These are hard to get" "only xx of these exsit" brag factor that so many people give a crap about.

1 week later
#193 7 years ago

I can't hear TA on the tournament live stream. It must not be on.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

+1

Someone feel free to post a Youtube link of gameplay from TPF17!
-Mike

Or just watch the dead flip archive on youtube?

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Already seen that,time for a new vid and see any changes-updates.
-Mike

Ah. Hasn't changed too much since then.

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

... made for less than 5k??

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I agree, I would hope for more of a kit.

If you're in either of these camps, you should just tip your hat, say good day, and move along.

1 week later
#403 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

It's a real time strategy game where you unleash robot armies against your enemy while simultaneously protecting your own base. Gather resources and build better and better units. First to destroy the opposition's commander wins the game.

Unrelated.

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was just asking if this has a shaker?

Bigass sub. Same diff.

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow, such an awesome idea. The best players will know how to press their scores up as high as possible before they kill the final reactor. Sort of like the challenge of the Donkey Kong kill screen.

Wouldn't the best players just NOT destroy the final reactor then?

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Makes sense, the hypothetical was in order to reduce the bill of materials.
Personally, I'd like the *option* of cutting out the LCD and saving $1K, if that were a possibility.

heh. cutting the display just creates a massive unnecessary difference in software. And doesn't cut anywhere NEAR $1k out of the price. Probably not even $100.

The pinside price bitching thread once the retail price for this game gets announced is going to be legendary.

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I want Scott to make a profit and be inspired to follow up with another game that he takes the time (which may be a while since this has been a passion project) to "do right."

I'm guessing Scott is going to burn out on this whole process and never want to do it again.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm surprised you aren't burned out with all the projects you've blazed through!

Enh, I'm basically burned out on the Ironman HD thing.

#623 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

LOL. Well, the topic was not on our hardware. I didn't want to put Gerry in a bind if he didn't cut deeper than that. Our new bundle pricing sits just under 15% off when ordering 1 bundle.

IMG_0036 (resized).JPGIMG_0036 (resized).JPG

Nobody is talking about a single bundle. A production run is hundreds of boards. Not something you'd know about, eh?

2 weeks later
#680 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Spooky is making a new cabinet for this game they had a sample at mgc , Scott will work with that sample and see what changes will need to be made for his game .

Cabinet? That looks like a Love Boat to me.

#702 6 years ago

Toga Amalgamation

#731 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If it reaches $6500 you'll see people who are on the fence not jump over. I think the price poll shows where it needs to be. I am looking forward to the artwork and then price.
-Mike

It'll reach whatever it has to reach, regardless of some poll.

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Tech question in response to the earlier posts about the cost of this game due to the number of addressable LEDs. Not necessarily for TNA because it's already 'built,' but I have a monoprice keyboard with led-backlit keys. It has some little lightshows programmed in, so I know that each led-lit key is individually addressable. They are not RGB LEDs because each key stays the same color. These keyboards cost $32. Is there any reason the same tech couldn't be used in a pin? Is it just the fact that they are not RGB LEDs?

Follow up question. I have a stingray in a childs wading pool filled with vodka. I know it's not RGB LEDs, but ...

#780 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

The spooky interview mentions how little effect the lack of ramps has on the BOM but it didn't mention ( unless I missed it ) how much removing the digital displays would save? probably a lot more than a ramp I would guess. ( yes they're cool but if removing them gets the price closer to what most people in this thread think the machine should cost then why not? )

Those single controlled drop targets are pricey. Might as well take those out. Having all the leds be RGB adds to the price, why not get rid of that?

1 week later
#845 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Scott already has an awesome shirt

Nice anchor on the corner of the bed there.

#856 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

So any speculation to the ending of the game Scott spoke about on the Spooky podcast? He said something you wouldn't expect.
My prediction is an epic light show, and then the game locks up and drains your ball... game over. Because isn't the story that in order to save the world you have to sacrifice yourself? Sad ending... empire strike back style.

Matrix Did it.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Easier to check if it's available. It is.
LTG : )

For many tech nerds among "you young kids" today, a whois lookup is faster/easier and is essentially the same thing.

/says the tech nerd with any number of terminal windows he could type a whois lookup into

#1081 6 years ago

In this thread: a bunch of old white dudes who don't really know what anime is and expected dark sci-fi out of a game with thumping electronic music and sharpie scribbles.

#1096 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Still not sold on the art style, but that looks WAY better.

It's almost as if that's what it would look like if there were light bulbs behind it to make things brighter. Imagine the innovation if they did THAT with a pinball machine. Mind. Blown.

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

... it would be pretty hard playing this game without knowing the back story. Being an original theme it needs to be explained somehow.

What is this wacky crap? What's the back story of Cosmic Gunfight? Or Barracora? or ... (shitloads of other old pins).

Ludicrous.

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That's a good point. Michael I fox was from the 80's in BTTF 2, but dressed as they would when he went into the future.

He wasn't INTENDING to go to the future, duh!

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Actually in BTTF 2 he was INTENDING to go to the future to save his son, duh!

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Actually in BTTF 2 he was INTENDING to go to the future to save his son, duh!

My, doc grabbed him off the driveway without warning and they split.

2 months later
#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Please say you'll be at ReplayFX?!

Negatory.

#1678 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I don't understand why everyone has a hard on for this game. Its SO BASIC. Is it because its a few bucks cheaper than other new games?

Tell us about the time you played it that helped you form this opinion.

2 weeks later
#2222 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey charlie, any scoop protector available (is it needed?) for TnA?

I believe the scoop mech has 'mantis like' protection on the interior of the hole built in.

#2433 6 years ago
Quoted from dri:

What style flipper assemblies are being used on TNA? True to it's era, System 11'ish?

It's era is today, fam. It's got modern flippers.

#2489 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

looks like livestream is cancelled tonight?

5pm Central - they just posted on FB that they're getting ready.

#2540 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i am shocked that you waited that long. i would have thought you would have been in the first 10 or so.
either way, nice job! can't wait to see a TnA Olympic style game!

The TNA olympic event is play with a fuel rod down the back of your shirt, like Homer Simpson.

#2558 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Who did all the music? I'm really digging it.

Scott himself.

#2574 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

bonus question. are you OK with the possibly 'unintended' super jackpot awards starting at 1:56:54 and 2:12:27.? as MB is being released, you enter the upper scoop before the drop target bank has time to reset for the normal jackpot awards to begin. now that's a skill shot that may be worth keeping.

It'd be fun if the game recognized this and gave you some special display/award

#2648 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

No. You can make A B C D E and F with a seven segment (though the b looks like a six)

If the numeral six is done with the top segment more like a G, then they would be unique.

#2691 6 years ago

Played a bunch of games on the production prototype tonight at an event -- the game looks even better in person than on the stream. And of course it's still a blast to play.

#2878 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

TIL there are way more $1 coins laying around than I realized. Are you guys just hoarding them all for your sac parties?

They're super convenient for dollar games. Real man always sac up.

1 month later
#3611 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

At $375 prices do seem to be more reasonable now.. I'm guessing a similar setup a few years back would be more like $600?
Is the price break due to higher volumes as of late?
I'm also assuming if someone were to buy all the above boards, they could build an equivalent homebrew game to TNA (IE same coil count, switch count, RGB lighting, etc)?

TNA uses multiples of a few boards - not sure about all of them, but I'm pretty sure it's got FIVE PD-LED boards.

#3613 6 years ago
Quoted from waveman:

Yeah - see post #3431. Total comes out to $875.

At retail pricing, yes. I'd guess the volume pricing on a run like TNA saves a bit more.

1 month later
#3946 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You will literally be taken back in time about 100 years.

ACTUAL time travel? In Wisconsin? Does Popular Science know about this?

1 week later
#4035 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Awesome that KT is reaching out to folks to let them know their game is ready to be built. Do you get one last chance to let them know the options you want before they start building?

Is she? or are anxious pinballers calling her constantly so she can't get any work done?

2 weeks later
#4182 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Seems to me that Stern had a 10 ball setting and maybe they still do. Or maybe my friend lied to me about that with his Family Guy.

I know WPC games go that high, I would assume Stern stuff does too. The really odd thing I found was on one game I colored it wouldn't let you go down to 1 ball/game - 2 was the minimum. That was strange.

#4197 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

You can choose how many reactors it takes to reach Total Nuclear Annihilation. Default setting is all nine. When you reach TNA, you get a bonus and the game effectively ends. If you achieve it before ball 3, plunge any remaining balls and receive the TNA bonus again. So no matter how great you play, one reactor and you're done. The challenge is to maximize one reactor before blowing it (preferably during multiball, with multipliers).

There's also: get multiball and go for jackpots rather than working on the reactor for ball 1. If you're feeling cocky.

1 month later
#4633 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Still trying to figure out what makes Alpha Particles explicit.

“particles” is like 60% of the way to. “Testicles”. Can’t be too careful in 2018.

#4713 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont want to watch (prefer to experience new reactors/music for myself), but I would like to know best scores and if he blows all 9 ever.
Would also like to know his general strategy of stacking/grabbing points/completing keypads/ use of multi...
If anyone cares to give cliff notes

Multiball at all times. If out of multiball, get multiball.

#4719 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

was it two extra balls in that game? I didn't keep a scorecard.

Default is to get one at Reactor 3 and reactor 6, I think.

#4757 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is the 2x, 3x, 4x a bonus multiplier or playfield multiplier?
Hoping it's a p/f multiplier

It's both, I think. Shows bonus x when not in multiball, shows playfield x when in multiball. I think. Maybe. I could be mistaken.

#4809 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Pretty sure I bet 276. Glad to lose!

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm at 415. I want that trophy poor Scott never got.

Quoted from benheck:

Damn I lost my bet! (299)

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I'm at 1,055 . I also want to win whatever it is.

What's with all the strange numbers? Aren't they building batches of 50? And at some point they'll do a last call and do a final batch of 50 and sell off what's left over time?

Quoted from bangerjay:

Omw to winning!(800)

This guy gets it.

1 month later
#5254 6 years ago

This is why programmers should stay out of fan forums -- FEATURE CREEEEEEEEEEEP

#5374 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't think Spooky should do anything different, but I can say with 100% certainty that I know of four orders that they haven't gotten for TNA because the people involved don't want to wait. Two operators and two collectors have directly told me. Instead the ops in question bought DI and TWD. All four are only interested if they can go down to their distributor and pick it up ASAP.
So it is absolutely true the build delay is costing sales. Now, it's better that Spooky build at the pace they prefer and get the games out instead of overtaxing their output ability, but I just wanted to set the record straight that it does in fact cost actual sales.

Maybe down the road they'll buy one when they ARE more readily available.

1 year later
#7204 5 years ago

Earplug mod that sukka.

5 months later
#7247 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Are you selling raffle tickets for the game?
or tickets to the open house, with an auction for the game at the open house?
Do you have to be there?

Tickets are to get into the PBL event. The auction will happen during the PBL event. Pretty sure you have to be present.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.