Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #11 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by APB_Enterprises (7 years ago)

Post #301 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by stevevt (7 years ago)

Post #360 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by trilogybeer (7 years ago)

Post #376 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by FalconPunch (7 years ago)

Post #1501 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by johnnyutah (6 years ago)

Post #1502 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by oohlou (6 years ago)

Post #1768 Comments from the artist about the game's art Posted by mandraws (6 years ago)

Post #2179 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2378 webcast info on TNA and Jetsons. Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #2515 YouTube vid. Great quality. Posted by DeadFlip (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider XXVII.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1325 6 years ago

I love TNA's translite. The art style really appeals to me since I've been on a synthwave kick lately, which has the same aesthetic.
synthwave-albums (resized).jpgsynthwave-albums (resized).jpg
synthwave-artists (resized).jpgsynthwave-artists (resized).jpg
7a7042a08756a72a0ad03b98700d3d92 (resized).jpg7a7042a08756a72a0ad03b98700d3d92 (resized).jpg
far-cry-synthwave (resized).jpgfar-cry-synthwave (resized).jpg

The main character looks like she'd fit in well in the Overwatch universe, which could probably help pull in some younger people to the pinball hobby. This is Tracer from Overwatch, for example.
zwwlvzjj0ximj6hsaxyi (resized).jpgzwwlvzjj0ximj6hsaxyi (resized).jpg

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I definitely thought of Blood Dragon when I saw the translite, which is awesome. That game had a really great feel to the environment and music.

Totally! And the trailer is hilarious (warning: language and game violence)

#1331 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Watch this until the game comes out....
Kung Fury!!!!
» YouTube video

I love Kung Fury! In the same vein is the music video for Carpenter Brut's (my favorite synthwave artist) "Turbo Killer" which I think was produced in part by the team that did Kung Fury.

The way I see synthwave/outrun music described is like the music you would imagine hearing if you were in the '80s driving in a Ferrari along the coast at night while being chased by the cops. Carpenter Brut's music is like that except you're driving through Hell.

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

An 80's retro-futuristic art theme with anything-but-that for the female's art style, this comparison from 2016. Unfortunately, it's visual whiplash.

I disagree. This is just an example of parts of the old becoming new again and being adopted back into the zeitgeist. It doesn't have to be full adoption or nothing. It's like how bell-bottoms made a return in the late '90s/early 2000s and integrated with the rest of the popular fashion trends at that time.

In this case, the most aesthetically pleasing parts of this particular visual style from the '80s are merging with an illustration style similar to the current hottest game on the market. The timing couldn't be more perfect with the Blade Runner sequel and Matrix movies on the horizon, as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 RPG, introducing neon-soaked cyberpunk visuals to a new generation of gamers. I don't know that a more perfect combination of art styles could have been made in a fully original IP that could possibly appeal to new and younger gamers in the very near future.

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

I get what you are saying but it's not a similar comparison. Actually, TNA is showing two old artistic styles being brought out together as that female drawing is more 90's or 2000's-ish. So it's more like 70's bell bottoms with 90's grunge. Strange.
And in your more recent example, the game is merging 90's/2000's male/female art style into a modern game again. TNA is merging two old styles, 80's retro futurism and 90's/2000's female art drawing.

I think it's the same concept even if we're talking about bringing just one visual style into the present or intermixing two from different decades.

I disagree that the character is made to a '90s style though. The artist in the TNA piece has colored the lineart with a clipping mask to make the lines mostly disappear. I don't remember seeing that being done very commonly in the '90s or even early 2000s. I think what makes the TNA girl look more '90s-like is a reduced anime influence in the design of the face compared to more contemporary stylized drawings (for example, check out how the bridge of her nose is straight and not a subtle curve outward as you see in anime). The differences between TNA and Overwatch character styles is a combination of the artist's preferences vs. the Overwatch team's as well as the translation of the visual identity to 3D. Take a look at the TNA girl next to the concept art of Overwatch's Sombra to see the truth in this, and then look at Sombra's 3D version in the center for comparison.

sombra (resized).jpgsombra (resized).jpg

Quoted from dzoomer:

And the realism male/female art style in that video link is great. It tends to be relatively timeless, unless the technology used is dated. Realism male/female artwork would have worked great in TNA and it fits in with the 80's retro-futurism theme very well; it was/is often done in conjunction with 80's retro-futurism artwork.

I think quasi-Overwatch style illustrations merged with the synthwave look would work great and fit in with the whole theme. I think it would also offer a certain appeal to some passers-by that might have not have tried a pinball machine if it were covered with realistically drawn (or photos of) people, like someone in their mid-20s or younger that may have never touched a pinball machine before, but they have played Overwatch. Again, I don't believe in order to use the '80s vibe means you have to go whole-hog on it.

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, it's the first backglass in over a decade that looks at all with-it.

Exactly. I think a lot of the guys on here that are turned off by the art might have a different appreciation for it if they see it make their kids interested in their hobby. The reality is that if the gameplay is amazing, most pinheads aren't going to be as concerned with their perceived shortcomings on the theme. GOT sold a lot of units despite (IMO) having some of the worst playfield graphics in a pinball machine in a long time, because it has that Steve Richie flow and great gameplay. Many people here have been salivating over TNA since before they saw the backglass art despite the machine just being a whitewood with some crude Sharpie drawings. I think this game has the potential for broad appeal, in that it offers compelling gameplay for pro pinball enthusiasts and has an art package that might finally turn some kids' heads.

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, it's the first backglass in over a decade that looks at all with-it.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Seriously?
GB has a great bg, and met, and WN

I think you are misinterpreting what trunchbull meant. All of those backglasses are really well done, but someone that isn't familiar with pinball probably wouldn't guess that any of those games were made in the last decade, whether due to theme or art style. TNA is "with-it" in this regard. It'd be hard to assume it's not modern when the character looks like she'd fit in Overwatch and the retro-futurisic neon aesthetic is growing in popularity again.

#1348 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

So 80's retro-futuristic now looks modern? That doesn't make much sense.

No, apply the full context first. Some of the '80s retro-futuristic stylings mixed with modern stylings (like Overwatch illustration styles and Photoshop graphic design techniques) are what look modern. On top of that, I'm saying the '80s neon look is coming back due to music/visual movements like synthwave/outrun and upcoming blockbuster-potential cyberpunk movies like the new Matrix and Blade Runner, as well as videogames like Cyberpunk 2077.

4 weeks later
#1579 6 years ago

I signed up for the sales list as soon as I saw the photos. So far, the team has perfectly nailed this game, in all dimensions. I haven't been this excited for a pinball machine as long as I've been in the hobby. I wasn't sold on the need for the segmented LED score displays until I saw how they are integrated now. So hot. I can't wait to own this game!

#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm on the side of wanting to know about the sound system... the sub, speakers and all...
Also curious about the vibration affecting the hardware of the game?

Starting at 18:09 talks about the sound system and why it won't rattle the cabinet the way other sub mods would.

#1705 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hear you. My thoughts arent for you to remove what you enjoy, but perhaps a way that myself, and maybe others
might be able to buy the game.
Seriously, some of us old farts on meds, get hearing issues...for me, its a constant ringing. So, games with soundtracks that are repetitive like Tron or TnA, simply produce headaches.
Again, Im speaking for myself, and i dont know if I can Mod this myself, but as much as you dont like AC/DC, I can see playing this game to heavy sounds I can handle...SOAD, or Excision, as my son asked, as an example.
» YouTube video
Just a thought...Id love to add more...not take away, but I appreciate the feedback!

It looks like TNA is going to be built using a framework called SkeletonGame. I can't say for certain, but I don't think the audio assets are going to be protected or locked away in some manner, so you will likely be able to open up the SD card or whatever the game is stored on, then replace the music files directly with your own. You'll just have to convert your MP3 files into Ogg Vorbis or Wave file format, which shouldn't be too difficult with free tools like Audacity.

http://skeletongame.com/step-3-adding-assets-images-sound-etc/

Edit: If you want to add more songs instead of just replace songs, you'll have to change the game logic, which is obviously going to be more advanced. One solution that avoids having to reprogram the game would be to modify the game's audio files by adding more songs to the end of each one. Like you change "Reactor 1 Song.wav" to add your Excision song on the end of it. You'll probably have to have a pretty long ball time to be able to hear your song, but that would be one way to do it without any programming. You could use Audacity to combine audio like this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider XXVII.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production?tu=XXVII and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.