Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 145.
#4601 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Actually I was pretty curious to hear what you think. You're a 'ramps' player, and this is new for you, I appreciated your thoughts.
Someone like me, who's owned a bunch of 80s Bally games, it's not new territory, and I already know I love that gameplay. So my opinion is maybe more predictable.

I played 20 games, I had a pocket full of quarters (hats off to VUK every game was $.50). GOTG was new to me, DI have played before and of course AFM is a classic BM66 am curious what to make of that pin. But nothing made me want to play a few more games (other than TNA). Of course I went to play TNA so I was always going to play that the majority. Also games like DI, GOTG, BM66 they are like string theory physics to me. I mean I can't say for sure what the rules are. I never read up. I understand on DI you hit the center shot or the guy with the power whatnot but I am not sure what I'm doing. With TNA having just watched maybe 45 minutes before today online I feel like I can almost explain the rules.

I say hats off to Scott for making something so easy to understand yet hard to master.

#4602 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

A new pincade in my town opened up last month and the owner put word out that he has a TNA coming to his place in the very near future! I'm super excited to get to try it and play some multiplayer games. I too am a bit skeptical on how I will feel about it. I've never been too much into the single level playfields but with the total package of this game (lights, sounds, difficult gameplay) I think this could be a winner.

One thing that I did not experience today was multiplayer. So much is said that this is a great multiplayer pin but I had a great time just single player. I mostly play solo unless I have a party but that's not a lot so I just wanted to see if this was OK for single player and it was great.

#4603 6 years ago

Thanks for the impressions @rai! I feel like I must have been a pinball collector in another life because I have never felt that ramps make a game good. Not to say that you don't have good taste because you only have games with ramps, but I just never understood why complicated or deep rulesets and ramps have to be on a modern game. I've only been collecting for the last year, and only playing pinball really for 2 years. At first, I was drawn into the lights and sounds of a modern DMD game, but I've found over the last year, that I actually prefer and appreciate the simpler games. I almost feel as if I have the taste of a collector "from back in the day" rather than someone that has just recently joined the hobby. Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, but I think there are too many people that overlook TNA because of its simplicity. I am drawn to TNA because of its simplicity!

Scott did it right. He used the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

#4604 6 years ago

I think when I was a kid played pinball in the 70's was first exposed to pinball and maybe up to 1983 so was not really much like modern pinball. Full stop, I didn't play pinball for another 15-20 years while all these games like STTNG, TZ, TAF etc. were being made I never knew about them.

I got back into pinball in the 2000's there was just so much stuff that was crazy to me like the magnet ball trick in TOTAN, TAF, CFTBL ramps that I got caught up in the magnets, ramps, DMD, call outs. I never really got back to the early stuff almost like (to me) was like having a modern car that going back would be like riding a bicycle. I am not saying old one level games are bad, but just that I overlooked them and so has pinball in that all the games from the 90's up have been like TAF (in many ways rules, toys, ramps etc.) and I figured if one level games were so great they would still be made. (aside from WNBJM that is not the case).

#4605 6 years ago

Rai does make a good point of the upper playfield (reactor core area) being under utilized. There are 3 targets there. Not sure what they are for. Could they maybe be used for something when the reactor is NOT lit? Like maybe hitting them helps solve the code faster or extend time for drops to stay down for jackpots during MB? Just brainstorming a bit. I'm not one to make code suggestions, and I love where the game is at, but rai does make a point.

#4606 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Rai does make a good point of the upper playfield (reactor core area) being under utilized. There are 3 targets there. Not sure what they are for. Could they maybe be used for something when the reactor is NOT lit? Like maybe hitting them helps solve the code faster or extend time for drops to stay down for jackpots during MB? Just brainstorming a bit. I'm not one to make code suggestions, and I love where the game is at, but rai does make a point.

If you complete the upper PF targets in order, then they max out the reactor core value.

#4607 6 years ago

how do you build up the jackpots? I know 100% to get critical reactor but is there a way to make the destroy reactor more valuable?

#4608 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

If you complete the upper PF targets in order, then they max out the reactor core value

Oh, cool.

#4609 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

how do you build up the jackpots? I know 100% to get critical reactor but is there a way to make the destroy reactor more valuable?

As Pmaino says, complete the upper targets to max the reactor value. Also, destroy the reactor while in multiball to multiply it by the number of balls.

#4610 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Shoot the 1,2, 3 targets in upper playfield is quickest way. Otherwise go back into upper playfield one reactor is critical. Can also fill up keypad again once reactor started for reactor jackpots

#4611 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

TNA will add the extra bit of brutality that only TWD brings right now in your lineup. ... Have you had an opportunity to play one yet? The sound and light show alone need to be experienced in person to truly appreciate what Scott has done.

Plenty of brutality in my lineup for me (a mediocre player) as is, but there's always room for more adrenaline producing, ass kicking games! I was fortunate to be able to play a friend's TNA recently and I appreciate its early SS-like gameplay; incredible sound and lighting; and unique design aspects even more as a result.

My thanks to all those who provided me with the equivalent of a slap upside the head via their responses to my post this AM! My spot in line remains intact.

#4612 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

The impatient inner child took control today and I drove the 35 miles to Mutiny Information Cafe in Denver

Two great pins, plenty of books... I wish there were a Cafe like that within 35 miles of my home!

#4613 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I don’t have anything to say regarding rules but the upper PF area is fun and challenging would be nice to have any excuse to play more in the upper area.

As it stands now is it correct that unless the reactor is activated there is nothing to do in the upper PF area? I’m unclear regarding that.

#4614 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don’t have anything to say regarding rules but the upper PF area is fun and challenging would be nice to have any excuse to play more in the upper area.
As it stands now is it correct that unless the reactor is activated there is nothing to do in the upper PF area? I’m unclear regarding that.

You build your Reactor Value when the reactor is not running by hitting the standups and slings. You also work the rollover lanes to increase your bonus X. Also, there are 2 types of skillshots that require you to use the top lanes at the beginning of a new ball.

#4615 6 years ago

Could you explain the top roll over lights? Can move with flippers. Do you want to hit light without moving for skill shot? I also noticed a different color upper roll over light not sure what that signifies.

#4616 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Could you explain the top roll over lights? Can move with flippers. Do you want to hit light without moving for skill shot? I also noticed a different color upper roll over light not sure what that signifies.

Have you seen this?

http://tiltforums.com/t/total-nuclear-annihilation-rulesheet/3209

#4617 6 years ago

Can you change the replay award to extra ball? I typically do this with all our home games, but I didn't see that option here.

Even without it, I was only 60K from unseating Lionman as Grand Champion this morning. My personal best game...

#4618 6 years ago

Have not seen that before thanks !!

Great set of rules.

#4619 6 years ago

Bought the soundtrack on Amazon. I may never be able to afford a TNA but at least now I can jam out to the soundtrack while playing my Grand Lizard. Thanks Scott!

#4620 6 years ago

Just a shout-out to anyone buying TNA - the lighted side rails are DOPE AF. They totally look stock, and unless the game is completely sardined in the middle of a row, these are well worth the price! Definitely my favorite "exterior" mod.

#4621 6 years ago

Ok, I may have a problem.

I’ve turned the audio on my AFMR to zero and I’m playing the TNA sound track over Sonos speakers in my game room.

#4622 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Ok, I may have a problem.
I’ve turned the audio on my AFMR to zero and I’m playing the TNA sound track over Sonos speakers in my game room.

So....what's your problem?

#4623 6 years ago

Aren't the "destroy reactor" inserts supposed to be white? Just today mine aren't white any more, they're pink. I overheated a reactor and couldn't figure out what to shoot because there weren't any white inserts. Turns out I was supposed to hit a pink RAD target. Pretty much all reactors now have pink lights to tell me what to destroy, which didn't happen before today. Anyone else seen this happen?

#4624 6 years ago

Buttery!

200D72A6-6915-4DBE-9698-600ABE97C372 (resized).jpeg200D72A6-6915-4DBE-9698-600ABE97C372 (resized).jpeg

82C12D82-DC04-4EFD-97C6-373C4507AADB (resized).jpeg82C12D82-DC04-4EFD-97C6-373C4507AADB (resized).jpeg

#4625 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Aren't the "destroy reactor" inserts supposed to be white? Just today mine aren't white any more, they're pink. I overheated a reactor and couldn't figure out what to shoot because there weren't any white inserts. Turns out I was supposed to hit a pink RAD target. Pretty much all reactors now have pink lights to tell me what to destroy, which didn't happen before today. Anyone else seen this happen?

You have a defective light board.
Contact tech support they will promptly send you a replacement or tell you a fix.

#4626 6 years ago

Additionally go into menu
And test lights it’ll show you if any others are defective

#4627 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You have a defective light board.
Contact tech support they will promptly send you a replacement or tell you a fix.

Some of the early games could have had defective LED chips on a few of the single insert LEDs. This is an LED chip issue and not a board issue. Send a message to [email protected] and they will get you new ones ASAP. It is an easy swap, just a screw and a connector.
--Scott

#4628 6 years ago

I have not kept up with TNA’s development. Just got my game. Has anyone had an issue where the sequential drops can’t seem to trap the ball as it intends between the 2nd and 3rd drops? It seems to get stuck, repeatedly tries, then the ball falls out. Ideas?

#4629 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I have not kept up with TNA’s development. Just got my game. Has anyone had an issue where the sequential drops can’t seem to trap the ball as it intends between the 2nd and 3rd drops? It seems to get stuck, repeatedly tries, then the ball falls out. Ideas?

Check to make sure your switches are working properly. Also, you can contact [email protected] and they can help.

Sounds to me like your second opto is not working correctly.

--Scott

#4630 6 years ago

Scott, I’m really enjoying your music. Thanks for releasing the sound track.

EE74D72F-4831-4EA5-B1AC-AA2166F1D1BE (resized).pngEE74D72F-4831-4EA5-B1AC-AA2166F1D1BE (resized).png

#4631 6 years ago

Still trying to figure out what makes Alpha Particles explicit.

#4632 6 years ago

Got my TNA today. #57. I bought this game having never seen or played it. Wow, I totally understand why it has been getting such rave reviews! Incredibly fun, fast, exciting game. Great sound, lights. Beautiful butter cabinet. It’s definitely quirky, but I haven’t been this excited by a new purchase in a long time. It has that “one more game” feeling more than anything else I can remember. Congrats to Scott and the Spooky team. Game of the year BY A MILE.

I have had a couple of minor issues. Bad player 1 display, the top line of the left 3 digits does not work. One bad LED (the S in SAVE), that stays lit red sometimes when it’s clearly supposed to be off. The switch for the second drop target was getting stuck on, confusing the “Danesi lock” mechanism. Removed, then it spontaneously started working again, reinstalled. Works OK for now. The upper flipper return spring broke off, had to rig it back up. Works OK for now.

I am confident that my distributor (Joe, Pinballstar, a good guy) will get me fixed up on the display and that one LED. Might even need a new drop target switch and that little spring.

Anyone on the list for TNA should be very excited about this one.

#4633 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

“particles” is like 60% of the way to. “Testicles”. Can’t be too careful in 2018.

#4634 6 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

I am also curious about this. I have held off buying because I have kids and we all share a music library.

#4635 6 years ago

I will be trying to stream some TNA tonight on twitch under foxcitiespinball

Key on the word trying! Streaming is a big learning experience for me.

Aka Streaming is Hard!

#4636 6 years ago

Good luck tom. I tried streaming with YouTube. And when I finally got it working the phone I was using as a camera died.

#4637 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I have had a couple of minor issues. Bad player 1 display, the top line of the left 3 digits does not work. One bad LED (the S in SAVE), that stays lit red sometimes when it’s clearly supposed to be off. The switch for the second drop target was getting stuck on, confusing the “Danesi lock” mechanism. Removed, then it spontaneously started working again, reinstalled. Works OK for now. The upper flipper return spring broke off, had to rig it back up. Works OK for now.

I hope quality control is not getting rushed to get games out the door.
-Mike

#4638 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I am also curious about this. I have held off buying because I have kids and we all share a music library.

Alpha Particles is instrumental, as is almost the entire album. Nothing to worry about for kids, other than spontaneous dancing.

#4639 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I hope quality control is not getting rushed to get games out the door.
-Mike

The display was likely damaged in shipping, rather than being out at the factory.

#4640 6 years ago

They had packaged my game very carefully. It was wrapped in blankets and plastic. No visible damage to the butter cabinet. Here’s what the display looks like....

26747F8F-51B9-4DBD-8344-C10739A15E41 (resized).jpeg26747F8F-51B9-4DBD-8344-C10739A15E41 (resized).jpeg

#4641 6 years ago

have you checked connectors?

that looks like a loose cable

#4642 6 years ago

Since the four displays use a daisy chained serial interface, a loose cable that affected player 1 would almost certainly affect the other players as well.

The board on this page is the same design, and the schematic is useful in diagnosing.
http://embedded-lab.com/blog/introducing-a-new-serial-spi-8-digit-seven-segment-led-display-module-using-max7219/

With mine, I had certain segments on player 3 that were out when certain numbers were displayed. Mine had a solder bridge on the back side of the dip socket, hidden by one of the 7 segment modules. I was able to fix it by removing the 7 segment module and cleaning up the solder bridge.

@Russell's, it's only the 'a' segment, and only on one module. I'd check for an open pin on the module, which would be an easy fix if that were the case. ...or just let Spooky replace it.

#4643 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Since the four displays use a daisy chained serial interface, a loose cable that affected player 1 would almost certainly affect the other players as well.
The board on this page is the same design, and the schematic is useful in diagnosing.
http://embedded-lab.com/blog/introducing-a-new-serial-spi-8-digit-seven-segment-led-display-module-using-max7219/
With mine, I had certain segments on player 3 that were out when certain numbers were displayed. Mine had a solder bridge on the back side of the dip socket, hidden by one of the 7 segment modules. I was able to fix it by removing the 7 segment module and cleaning up the solder bridge.
Russell's, it's only the 'a' segment, and only on one module. I'd check for an open pin on the module, which would be an easy fix if that were the case. ...or just let Spooky replace it.

I vote for send it back for a replacement. Contact Spooky about it. These are all tested during assembly and final inspection, so not sure how that got through. Whatever the issue, Spooky and team will fix it for you.
--Scott

#4644 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I vote for send it back for a replacement. Contact Spooky about it. These are all tested during assembly and final inspection, so not sure how that got through. Whatever the issue, Spooky and team will fix it for you.
--Scott

Look man, I'm getting a little sick of your cheerful and helpful customer service, this quick and friendly thing is making everyone else look bad, be a team player and start ignoring stuff, okay?

I could get the notice next week, I'm getting excited! I've been kinda purposefully not thinking about it or watching videos, easier to wait with it out of mind, but now I'm hype.

#4645 6 years ago

Aurich what cabinet option did you go with?

#4646 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Alpha Particles is instrumental, as is almost the entire album. Nothing to worry about for kids, other than spontaneous dancing.

Dancing ain't allowed in this town!

#4647 6 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

aurich what cabinet option did you go with?

Normal, clearcoated cabs have no appeal to me. Only thing I upgraded to was the plastic protectors.

#4648 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Got my TNA today. #57.

46 to go!

#4649 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Normal, clearcoated cabs have no appeal to me. Only thing I upgraded to was the plastic protectors.

Agreed on the cab, but the shaker is VERY WELL integrated.

#4650 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Dancing ain't allowed in this town!

We used to dance all the time there in the 1960-s and 1970's. There was a community center for teen dances and I believe the AM-VETS Club opened its doors to the general public occasionally for big dances.

"E-town" was my stomping ground when I was young.

Mike in Bowling Green

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/93?hl=jerickso77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.