Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 145.
#4251 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperNation:

Scott: awesome game; one suggesion
When the final reactor is destroyed, instead of the game just ending, add a 5 ball wizard mode and then end the game. Have the siren going non stop, add some random callouts like "my hero", "you saved the world!", crank the light show into full tri color intense pulsating mode and have scoring multiplied by number of balls in play x two. When all balls drain the game is over. For an even cooler effect, incrementally bump up the power of the slings and pop bumper, or have the power randomly adjust every few seconds.

ending? what's supposed to happen now?

#4252 6 years ago

If I ever beat reactor nine the game will end for me...by massive heart attack!

#4253 6 years ago

Like the ending of doom. “You have beaten them. But now your stranded in hell” you still loose. Love it.

#4254 6 years ago

Just added a new feature. If you destroy a reactor, it will award you 1 single point along with your reactor destroyed value. This way we will be able to track by looking at people's scores how many reactors they destroyed during their games. I am excited about this feature.
20171230_204530 (resized).jpg20171230_204530 (resized).jpg

#4255 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Just added a new feature. If you destroy a reactor, it will award you 1 single point along with your reactor destroyed value. This way we will be able to track by looking at people's scores how many reactors they destroyed during their games. I am excited about this feature.

Ha, that pic reminded me and I went digging through the closet. Now I'm ready! Ready for my game to come too

IMG_20171230_192209 (resized).jpgIMG_20171230_192209 (resized).jpg

#4256 6 years ago

That is Totally Awesome Scott!!!

Love the idea! Looking forward to the next code update!

#4257 6 years ago

Simple, but brilliant...

#4258 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I will be getting mine in January and live on Long Island. 40 minute train ride away. Anyone is welcome to come and play.

That’s great, and congrats on the preorder!

#4259 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

*spoiler alert*
Why is there not a "hide text" option on pinside?

There is, but it's not as easy as just clicking on something. Wrap your text in [spoiler]your text [/spoiler], but with less than/greater than symbols instead of brackets.

« Spoiler! Click to reveal.Like this »

Finally, a good use for that useless 0 at the end of scores. I love it!

#4260 6 years ago

Some people are ahead of their time.

IMG_0434 (resized).JPGIMG_0434 (resized).JPG

#4261 6 years ago

That's a really smart thing to do with the 1s digit!!

#4262 6 years ago

Scott
Do you know the sling, pop-bumper, flipper, etc., settings on Ed's machine in the Deadflip video? This could be the fastest pin ever made (faster than my STLE and even Ironman), and is the primary thing that draws me to the game. Just wondering if that machine was dialed all the way up or if there was even more room to go faster... Also didn't notice any air balls which was great.
Surprised that nobody liked the idea of randomly varying the strength of the slings and such in a wizard mode...
Thx

#4263 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperNation:

Surprised that nobody liked the idea of randomly varying the strength of the slings and such in a wizard mode...

Here's why I don't like it: Randomness from software isn't interesting. Let the ball do what the ball is gonna do, that's pinball. You just play it the best you can, you use your skills the best you can, and if physics beats you, so be it. A drain because a sling randomly went off at half strength sounds incredibly lame. What's satisfying about that?

#4264 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's why I don't like it: Randomness from software isn't interesting. Let the ball do what the ball is gonna do, that's pinball. You just play it the best you can, you use your skills the best you can, and if physics beats you, so be it. A drain because a sling randomly went off at half strength sounds incredibly lame. What's satisfying about that?

Totally agree. It sounds more like a half baked novelty, that would replace skill with randomness... why not randomize the flipper strength too while you’re at it?!

#4265 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I completely disagree... randomness can be intoxicatingly fun when ocassionally introduced. I like the idea.

#4266 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I completely disagree... randomness can be intoxicatingly fun when ocassionally introduced. I like the idea.

Stick with pachinko.

#4267 6 years ago

Bunch of games with randomness...i.e. magnets to mess with you (TAF, IM, GOTG, SM, etc.)

#4268 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Bunch of games with randomness...i.e. magnets to mess with you (TAF, IM, GOTG, SM, etc.)

Exactly. Ever hear of Dialed In? I’m sure JJP was out of their mind designing the spinning discs in Pirates.... Lawlor with Whirlwind? A fool! The Guardians? Stupid! TWD magnets. Straight silly

#4269 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperNation:

Randomly varying sling strength might not make sense, but in SS3 I alter the strength of the slings to make it more random as modes are completed. The attempt was to make the game more difficult as time progressed for the better players to limit the extra time that a better player could play. Same with the pops. Just wondering if there are other games out there that use the same trick?

#4270 6 years ago

The game is already blazing fast and difficult as is. No need to make things harder tbh. Maybe if people start blowing up all 9 reactors easily, then a request could put in to Scott, but for now, it plays awesome as is.

#4271 6 years ago

The high level story is you are traveling to the future to destroy it before they discover reverse time travel. You need to kill everything and that includes yourself unfortunately. Even if you did survive, there is no way for you to get back (no reverse time travel).

Is there a nifty flyer that I could frame and mount on the wall with this description? I’m going to place my order this year and this would be icing on the cake

#4272 6 years ago

Happy New Year. Whenever I receive my game, it will have an manufacture date of 2018 printed on it.
- I pity you early adopters.

#4273 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperNation:

Scott
Do you know the sling, pop-bumper, flipper, etc., settings on Ed's machine in the Deadflip video? This could be the fastest pin ever made (faster than my STLE and even Ironman), and is the primary thing that draws me to the game. Just wondering if that machine was dialed all the way up or if there was even more room to go faster... Also didn't notice any air balls which was great.
Thx

The reason I do not like this is that if the slings are too powerful it can throw the ball into the air. If they are not powerful enough they will not make a full kick. Interesting idea though.

#4274 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is there a nifty flyer that I could frame and mount on the wall with this description? I’m going to place my order this year and this would be icing on the cake

Spooky and myself both have them. send me your address and I will send a couple out to you.

#4275 6 years ago

The reason I do not like this is that if the slings are too powerful it can throw the ball into the air. If they are not powerful enough they will not make a full kick. Interesting idea though.

Thanks Scott and Happy New Year to all!
Back to my original query... Do you know the settings on Ed's game in the Deadflip video? I very much like the idea that the sling, pop, etc., are completely adjustable... Would be great to see this level of adjustment on all new games.

Regarding air balls, if the rubber is contacting the ball at a neutral to slightly higher level, thereby motivating the ball laterally or with very slight pressure towards the playfield, air balls should not occur... Contact towards the lower part of the ball will definitely launch it with application of sufficient force... Of course playfield imperfections such as dimpling (which should not exist if there are no air balls) can also be a contributing factor...

#4276 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Totally agree. It sounds more like a half baked novelty, that would replace skill with randomness

There is clearly a segment of the community that hates randomization (magnets, spinners, etc.). Maybe this is the top players who don't want thing that mess with their hard earned skills. I do laugh, since to me POPs are about to creating some randomness, so should we get rid of pops? Although the way some games are designed, the ball always leaves the pops nice and easy, so they pretty much have removed the randomness of it. At the same time there is a constant call for 'innovation', so how do you balance those things? At the end of the day the designer/programmers have to try to create a fun game and be true to their vision, and try to balance these things, but no matter what you won't make everyone happy. Sometimes I will do something on Houdini and I'll say to myself, some people are not going to like this, and then I say, if they don't like it, f*** them (often followed by 'when they design/code game they can do it the way they want", which is, well, how I got started in this). I've shard this sentiment with Scott on many an occasion.

#4277 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is clearly a segment of the community that hates randomization (magnets, spinners, etc.). Maybe this is the top players who don't want thing that mess with their hard earned skills. I do laugh, since to me POPs are about to creating some randomness, so should we get rid of pops? Although the way some games are designed, the ball always leaves the pops nice and easy, so they pretty much have removed the randomness of it. At the same time there is a constant call for 'innovation', so how do you balance those things? At the end of the day the designer/programmers have to try to create a fun game and be true to their vision, and try to balance these things, but no matter what you won't make everyone happy. Sometimes I will do something on Houdini and I'll say to myself, some people are not going to like this, and then I say, if they don't like it, f*** them (often followed by 'when they design/code game they can do it the way they want", which is, well, how I got started in this). I've shard this sentiment with Scott on many an occasion.

I think it is more granular than that.

'Predictable' randomness is liked by most pinheads. Knowing there is a magnet that will always pulse during a certain mode and it can be dealt with via skill is cool and fun. A good example of this would be to think of TAF which is one of the best examples of all time. Competitively I know that Seance and Multiball can be dangerous, but I have the option of when and how I go for those modes or avoid them. If I go for them I also know that the game requires a different skill set to play it. Something important to note is that these magnets are also set in a way that you can power a shot through them and also have some time to react based on position in the pf.

An alternative that I know some people dont like would be the magna slings on GBprem. They lack predictability in the implementation and create more variability that is difficult to overcome based on position and how they toss the ball around. They also are in play and cant be strategically avoided or circumnavigated with skill as easily.

Other have suggested altering sling shot power or flipper power randomly. Random unpredictability is often disliked. It would be fine to alter the slingshot power for a mode or after a certain reactor but it should be done in a way that skill is still the majority player in the scenario.

In short, I just think it is a bit more grey rather than black and white and people want randomness but the art is HOW and WHEN and WHY it is implemented. Done well and it will be loved by the majority (and F the rest). Done poorly and you fail in the bigger picture. It is a fine line from a business perspective of figuring out what is fun and how to tweak it to be the right amount of innovation vs pure chaos for the sake of innovation.

#4278 6 years ago

The high level story is you are traveling to the future to destroy it before they discover reverse time travel. You need to kill everything and that includes yourself unfortunately. Even if you did survive, there is no way for you to get back (no reverse time travel).

OR IS THERE ?!?!?!?

It wouldn't truly be the 80's without a lousy cash-grab sequel, Scott!

I'm thinkin'.....

TNA2: ON THE MOVE

or

TNA2: THE QUICKENING

or maybe

TNA2: SECRET OF THE OOZE!

Just think about it, okay?

#4279 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

'Predictable' randomness is liked by most pinheads.

A perfect explanation. It's not randomness itself that is not liked, it's when things feel unfair to the player. There are dangerous shots on most games. For example, sending the ball into the pops in TZ. It's random, but I don't think it's unfair.

#4280 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Total Nuclear Annihilation 2: Back From the Future

#4281 6 years ago

TNA 2: The Electric Boogaloo or GTFO!

#4282 6 years ago

Holy cow! That pic from Alice Cooper on Spooky's page looks friggin' awesome!

#4283 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

OR IS THERE ?!?!?!?
I'm thinkin'.....
TNA2: ON THE MOVE
or
TNA2: THE QUICKENING
or maybe
TNA2: SECRET OF THE OOZE!
Just think about it, okay?

TnA2: More TnA

#4285 6 years ago

TNA 2: The Wrath of LIONMAN

#4286 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

TNA 2: The Wrath of LIONMAN

LIONMAN survives the nuclear annihilation , and travels back to the 80s to kick some serious ass.
"Revenge is a dish best served LIONMAN"

#4287 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

LIONMAN survives the nuclear annihilation , and travels back to the 80s to kick some serious ass.
"Revenge is a dish best served LIONMAN"

Lionman restores order to the wasteland

#4288 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Lionman restores order to the wasteland

What does Total Nuclear Annihilation have to do with Lionman/Swords of Fury?

#4289 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What does Total Nuclear Annihilation have to do with Lionman/Swords of Fury?

There is a lionman poster on the back glass

#4290 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

There is a lionman poster on the back glass

Nice!

A71996F2-577F-456A-9670-2AB703D214AE (resized).pngA71996F2-577F-456A-9670-2AB703D214AE (resized).png

#4291 6 years ago

Everything. This could all be a plan set in place by LIONMAN. Hell. Scott could be LIONMAN in a kittens costume.

#4292 6 years ago

Heading to Denver this weekend. Does anyone know of a TNA on location in Colorado yet?

#4293 6 years ago

Anyone know what the next machine numbers we are up to ?

#4294 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Heading to Denver this weekend. Does anyone know of a TNA on location in Colorado yet?

Mutiny Information Cafe

#4296 6 years ago

Awesome!! Please let us know when it becomes available on iTunes!!

#4297 6 years ago

Ordered!

Now here’s to hoping you guys are close to build #119.

#4298 6 years ago

43 is arriving today! Probably won't be able to fire it up until Monday, but it'll be worth the wait.

#4299 6 years ago

Does anyone know if the mirror blades are something you need to order from pinball life and have shipped to spooky like the shaker and knocker or do they have them on hand to install. I changed my original order from the graphic blades offered at launch to the mirrors but wanted to send everything at the same time. Really don't want to bother Spooky as I'm sure they have plenty to worry about right now other than my meltdown mirrors

#4300 6 years ago

#50 arrived in Canada today!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/86?hl=audiohaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.