Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 145.
#2551 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

at the end of Thursday's stream Scott reviewed some audit stats. in particular, he cited the average ball time was :42. i documented each ball, but arrived at :54. i double checked my math and am certain the :54 is more accurate and that some glitches still exist in the game software. for comparison, i also tracked the jetsons times which were 66.5 seconds. surprisingly close. thought jetsons was going to be longer and TNA shorter. longest ball on TNA was 2:58; jetsons 4:27.

Are you counting ball time starting when the ball leaves the trough and closes the shooter lane switch or when the shooter lane switch goes open because the ball is entering the playfield?

Do you consider ball time ending when the ball hits the trough or when the bonus sequence is over?

#2552 2 years ago

How many people are going to have this game setting right next to a tron? Seems like they were made to be together!!

#2553 2 years ago

Is there any rule where if you futz (or flail around) too long after lighting the blow up the reactor shot that the shot unlights as the reactor starts to cool down (begins dropping back down from 99) and you have to build it up again to relight the shot?

I could see that being a cool mechanic for later reactors (with special lighting and music cues) to add extra tension. Repurpose the ball save timer to count down when only ten seconds or whatever remains before cooldown (and change the font color to indicate it's not ball save).

#2554 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Is there any rule where if you futz (or flail around) too long after lighting the blow up the reactor shot that the shot unlights as the reactor starts to cool down (begins dropping back down from 99) and you have to build it up again to relight the shot?

That's a cool idea.

#2555 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I could see that being a cool mechanic for later reactors (with special lighting and music cues) to add extra tension. Repurpose the ball save timer to count down when only ten seconds or whatever remains before cooldown (and change the font color to indicate it's not ball save).

But would it make the game too hard? I guess we will see how quickly people get all 9 reactors once the masses start playing it.

#2556 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I just hope when my TNA finally makes it home that the Grand Champion score is still logged as LIONMAN!!!

That would be awesome actually. I like how it got worked into the art!

#2557 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

and maybe have a shuffle feature to allow mere mortals (or location regulars) a taste of all the music tracks associated with the reactors.

Who did all the music? I'm really digging it.

#2558 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Who did all the music? I'm really digging it.

Scott himself.

#2559 2 years ago

No kidding? Talented guy to be sure. I'm super impressed.

#2560 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

No kidding? Talented guy to be sure. I'm super impressed.

So which of us will buy one for the GCPC?

#2561 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Still waiting on final payment for AFMr LE so we are out.
Would love one though.

#2562 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But would it make the game too hard? I guess we will see how quickly people get all 9 reactors once the masses start playing it.

Have it selectable in the settings, then everyone can set it how they like.
-Mike

#2563 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Good question. Let's discuss and make a plan on this.

#2564 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

One other thought is I love the spinner sound but how cool would it be if the sound changed/increased in pitch etc. during a spin (maybe ending in a bass drop if you really nailed it) ala BK's lit spinner. Dynamic spinner sounds really bring a game to life.

The hilarious thing about you saying this is that we're replacing Blackout and a couple other games to get TNA. My wife and I were joking the other night about how we should ask Scott if he can include the incremental, and extremely annoying, spinner sounds from Blackout so we don't have to miss it.

#2565 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The idea that the Jetsons costs the same as TNA that's rediculious.

They are apples and oranges.

One is a small batch game built on contract intended to be sold via retail. The price is going to reflect what the RETAIL guy wants to sell at.. and must fund the development cost and any profit desired on JUST THAT GAME. So the pressure on higher margin per unit is high.

The other is a volume game... but a game that includes a TON of non-standard parts, so it has to include a ton more overhead and benefits less than normal for economies of scale. Extra displays (the player scores probably add $200 in BOM costs alone..).. extra 2 digit displays... kickers everywhere... (which means coils and brackets everywhere...)... expensive controllers... etc.

They are both 'simple' games in terms of how busy the PF is... but have very different pressures on the pricing and are sold to different consumers.

#2566 2 years ago

What is the cabinet upgrade people are talking about? I'm guessing super glossy, clear coated cabinet art??

#2567 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Have it selectable in the settings, then everyone can set it how they like.
-Mike

Will shuffle be in there? Haha. Agree if so.

#2568 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

What is the cabinet upgrade people are talking about? I'm guessing super glossy, clear coated cabinet art??

Someone posted a few pages back they have a fishtails pin with similar.

Basically the standard game gets nice decals like most new pins, the extra painted cabinets are directly painted on then high gloss with automotive wax ( it was described earlier). Not a must have but if you've got the money probably the painted cabinets look nicer.

#2569 2 years ago

Just got confirmation that I'm #7 on the list. Let's get production started.

-Adam

#2570 2 years ago

Wha? Wax, or clear? Those are two vastly different things and I dunno about anyone else, but I wouldn't pony up 1k extra just for the cabinet to be direct print instead of a decal.

Wax costs 15 bucks and lasts me 2-3 years.. clearcoating a cab would likely cost me around 600 bucks if I got someone to do it local to me.

#2571 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions! I, and the team working on this project, really appreciate it. Last night was a blast! Don't worry, this code is still beta and I am working very hard on fixing any bugs and free play misspellings (oops). Haha. The display graphics and text are also not finished. Lots more cool stuff coming before production machines leave the factory. You will not be disappointed. Thank you again!

I love that you're humble, knowledgeable, and passionate. You are super talented, yet no ego whatsoever. Much respect!

#2572 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Interesting. I am curious, were you including bonus tally, reactor starting animations, ball saves. etc?
--Scott

for the purposes of my accounting, I was using the time the ball was on the playfield for each players 'turn' - from the time the ball left the shooter lane to the time it hit an outlane or the center drain [including any extended play resulting from ball saves]. so, I was NOT including time for EOB bonus tally [which would have made times even longer]. it WOULD have included time for reactor startups [the idle time while the player is waiting for the scoop to eject]. if you are considering the ball 'out of play' during that time [which I was not] it would have reduced ball times by a full 5 seconds [41 started x ~12 seconds sequence = 492/99 = 5]. finally, it WOULD include the additional playing time realized by a ball save. the player may have 'lost' his original ball, but his 'turn' is not over. if your counting his 'turn' as over when the original ball is lost and not counting the extended time due to a ball save, that would also shorten ball times quite a bit. I can see from a logistics standpoint that the latter definition might be used, though it discounts time the player is still at the machine.

the 12 second difference over 99 balls is nearly 1200 seconds/20 minutes of extra playing time i'm giving players credit for. would be interested in hearing how you are defining ball time for your calculations.

bonus question. are you OK with the possibly 'unintended' super jackpot awards starting at 1:56:54 and 2:12:27.? as MB is being released, you enter the upper scoop before the drop target bank has time to reset for the normal jackpot awards to begin. now that's a skill shot that may be worth keeping.

#2573 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I love that you're humble, knowledgeable, and passionate. You are super talented, yet no ego whatsoever. Much respect!

It's all an act. Scott is actually a jerk. I hear he likes to destroy SOFs behind closed doors. Oh wait.......

#2574 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

bonus question. are you OK with the possibly 'unintended' super jackpot awards starting at 1:56:54 and 2:12:27.? as MB is being released, you enter the upper scoop before the drop target bank has time to reset for the normal jackpot awards to begin. now that's a skill shot that may be worth keeping.

It'd be fun if the game recognized this and gave you some special display/award

#2575 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Sneaky super jackpot. I like it.

#2576 2 years ago

This game looks fun. I wonder if this would be a good route game to put in my brewery?

#2577 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This reminds me a bit of the Jackpot on ToM--where as soon as multiball starts you can score a super jackpot if you make the trunk shot in the first couple seconds. I like this idea!

#2578 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

This game looks fun. I wonder if this would be a good route game to put in my brewery?

Awesome , you got a brewery ! Where is it ?

#2579 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wha? Wax, or clear? Those are two vastly different things and I dunno about anyone else, but I wouldn't pony up 1k extra just for the cabinet to be direct print instead of a decal.
Wax costs 15 bucks and lasts me 2-3 years.. clearcoating a cab would likely cost me around 600 bucks if I got someone to do it local to me.

Sorry mean clear.

#2580 2 years ago

any chance of a super skill shot?

i.e. hold the flipper on plunge then hit the lit shot?

I could see a super skill of a 1 flip to right orbit, left control gate closes and still hit the hands free. Award is reactor plus 50% to melt down

#2581 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any chance of a super skill shot?
i.e. hold the flipper on plunge then hit the lit shot?
I could see a super skill of a 1 flip to right orbit, left control gate closes and still hit the hands free. Award is reactor plus 50% to melt down

Maybe let the poor guy finish the various screens and tweaks first, then when you've got the game and played it awhile you can make some gameplay suggestions. It might be just fine without cloning every Lyman game.

#2582 2 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Are you counting ball time starting when the ball leaves the trough and closes the shooter lane switch or when the shooter lane switch goes open because the ball is entering the playfield?
Do you consider ball time ending when the ball hits the trough or when the bonus sequence is over?

best way to surmise my timing was. time stamp when ball enters playfield. time stamp when ball exits via outlane or center drain ending the player's 'turn'. difference between the two = ball time. the players turn included extended playing time from balls being saved. the 3 extra balls were counted as separate balls.

definitely not starting when ball enters the shooter lane awaiting a plunge. started when plunge entered pf. was ending when ball reached an exit. not waiting another second for it to reach the trough. both of these starting/stopping points would error on the side of shorter ball times. yet my observations were longer when compared with the audit results.

#2583 2 years ago

taken from this post

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The artwork wouldn't be stenciled. Rather than using decals, the artwork would be printed directly on the cabinet pieces using a direct print process.

Normally, the cabinet parts are manufactured by a cabinet shop, then sent to Spooky for assembly. Once assembled, decals, printed by Spooky, are applied and you have a finished cabinet.
With the clear coated cabinet option, the five cabinet pieces that get art are sent to the printer. The art is then printed directly on the cabinet pieces. Those pieces then go back to the cabinet shop where they get clear coated. Now those pieces go to Spooky for cabinet assembly. You really need to see the finished product in person to fully appreciate how beautiful it looks.
Are are a few pics of a FT cabinet made this way.
312e0d21d1d94a5a52ffa7989f2d184e08bad25f (resized).jpg9284818f060263df3402a44d2d709daba53b08b4 (resized).jpg

#2584 2 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

The hilarious thing about you saying this is that we're replacing Blackout and a couple other games to get TNA. My wife and I were joking the other night about how we should ask Scott if he can include the incremental, and extremely annoying, spinner sounds from Blackout so we don't have to miss it.

Not familiar with the Blackout spinner sound so I can't comment on that, but nailing a lit BK spinner is by far my favorite thing/sound in pinball! Esp. if it goes over the "top" and wraps around to the low freqs again. Wha wha wha. So freakin' good! And something like that would be perfect in this game. Link to BK lit spinner sound example:

Quoted from epthegeek:

ala "You cheat Jr. Jones!"

Agreed, very cool if it recognized when this happens.

So excited for this game!

#2585 2 years ago

Shameless website plug, but for those that don't have time to watch the whole stream, this post links to the highlights:

http://thisweekinpinball.com/total-nuclear-annihilation-five-things-seenheardlearned/

#2586 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I never said AFM was $5995 you can read my post, I just pointing out that anyone who could afford $5995 could likely afford $6495 for an AFM it's just 8% more.

Not on Pinside, the amount on here that turn down a pin over $100 or shipping costs blows my mind

#2587 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I just hope when my TNA finally makes it home that the Grand Champion score is still logged as LIONMAN!!!

Scott, maybe consider a LIONMAN score above grand champion ???

LIONMAN!!! 999,999,999,999

Something no one can ever beat, because LIONMAN!!!

#2588 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Not familiar with the Blackout spinner sound so I can't comment on that, but nailing a lit BK spinner is by far my favorite thing/sound in pinball!

My favorite is nailing the lit spinner on Flash Gordon, the game I'll probably give up to fit my TNA ...

Quoted from jgentry:

How many people are going to have this game setting right next to a tron? Seems like they were made to be together!!

Not sure yet where it will sit, but near Tron at the least.

#2589 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They are apples and oranges.
One is a small batch game built on contract intended to be sold via retail. The price is going to reflect what the RETAIL guy wants to sell at.. and must fund the development cost and any profit desired on JUST THAT GAME. So the pressure on higher margin per unit is high.
The other is a volume game... but a game that includes a TON of non-standard parts, so it has to include a ton more overhead and benefits less than normal for economies of scale. Extra displays (the player scores probably add $200 in BOM costs alone..).. extra 2 digit displays... kickers everywhere... (which means coils and brackets everywhere...)... expensive controllers... etc.
They are both 'simple' games in terms of how busy the PF is... but have very different pressures on the pricing and are sold to different consumers.

I understand that Jetsons is a boutique pin and sold direct etc..

but just sitting side by side at the same price it's ridiculous (IMO).

I'm sure the build quality is fine on Jetsons but the layout, lighting looks basic. The main hole on the left side the ball just seems to fall in at random more often than actually get shot in, the GI was very dark (hard to say) but compared to TNA the lighting was night and say.

I know the rules may be designed for little kids like spell George, Spell Judy (etc.) but thats just so basic. A game can be simple for little folks but have enough interesting things to do like PotC. To me the game looks like $4K (I'm being generous).

Now if you say it's another $2K because it's rare thats one thing but to me, I want a game that looks and plays great not just a rare game and to think kids can't play a game unless it's rules are like spell six character names is ridiculous. I have kids play all my pins, maybe they don't understand the note shots on Acdc (does anyone really?) but they can understand hit the TNT shot, hit the bell etc..

#2590 2 years ago

Did not get to watch the whole stream but was there a change in accessing the reactor? on the white wood when the reactor was online only one of the orbits would let you into the core the other would do a full orbit. The orbit would change with sling and pop hits. The production prototype seems like it feeds the reactor from both at all times.

Also I know the game is already brutal as is, but I would like a setting in options to have to knock down the first two drop targets before locking the first ball for multiball.

Game looks fantastic and has that one more game effect, I wonder what number George Gomez got.

#2591 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Mine will be just as as soon as the TRON VE is released!

#2592 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My favorite is nailing the lit spinner on Flash Gordon, the game I'll probably give up to fit my TNA

Blasphemy! Sell an arcade cabinet instead. Hell, sell them all if you have to.

#2593 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Depends on your crowd. I think the theme is unlikely to draw much casual play. It will be much more popular with league players and serious players.

#2594 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Depends on your crowd. I think the theme is unlikely to draw much casual play. It will be much more popular with league players and serious players.

Mine is going on location where we host leagues and tournament nights. That's the primary driver but I'm sure the music and lightshow will attract the casuals to try it out. They might only play it once though, remains to be seen I guess.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

#2595 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Blasphemy! Sell an arcade cabinet instead. Hell, sell them all if you have to.

Nah, already sold half my pins to fit my arcade cabs, that's what gets played the most. Still love pinball, but Street Fighter is the community I'm more active with these days.

Since I'm down to 5 pins in the garage everything has to earn a spot, and TNA will fill the same kind of feel that Flash Gordon currently has. Love FG, but so it goes, space is space.

#2596 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Shameless website plug, but for those that don't have time to watch the whole stream, this post links to the highlights:
http://thisweekinpinball.com/total-nuclear-annihilation-five-things-seenheardlearned/

I love your post and your site! Thanks for turning me on to it.

#2597 2 years ago

The last 12 minutes of last night's stream is the most worth watching. Charlie talked about how the new higher quality wood + better clearcoat he hopes to hit 2 million hits (with a much more brutal testing rig). Also Scott showed the diagnostics screens which probably give even a router way more information than he could ever imagine, like timestamped switch errors :-0

#2598 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Did not get to watch the whole stream but was there a change in accessing the reactor? on the white wood when the reactor was online only one of the orbits would let you into the core the other would do a full orbit. The orbit would change with sling and pop hits. The production prototype seems like it feeds the reactor from both at all times.

It depends on which reactor you are playing. At least the first reactor is accessible via either orbit. Later reactors are only accessible by one orbit...I believe this is hard programmed; but perhaps their is also some random aspect.

#2599 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

To me the game looks like $4K (I'm being generous).

Based on your experience as a manufacturer of pinballs? Or based on comparing it to what you see a company like Stern who is selling multiple titles a year, who plans on making thousands of a title, and has many other titles to diffuse costs over?

These are all things Jetson's does not have. Spooky is not betting their future on the viability of The Jetson's. TPC took that risk.

Quoted from rai:

Now if you say it's another $2K because it's rare thats one thing but to me

It has nothing to do with 'rare' - and everything to do with VOLUME. Without volume there is very little revenue to recoup your costs from.

Quoted from rai:

I want a game that looks and plays great not just a rare game and to think kids can't play a game unless it's rules are like spell six character names is ridiculous. I have kids play all my pins, maybe they don't understand the note shots on Acdc (does anyone really?) but they can understand hit the TNT shot, hit the bell etc..

That's swell... if you put up the million dollars or so in capital to have the game built - you too could decide what kind of game you were going to build. This game isn't meant for you... they've already designed and built the game.. I think we can stop theorizing on what it SHOULD be.. that boat has sailed.

#2600 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The last 12 minutes of last night's stream is the most worth watching. Charlie talked about how the new higher quality wood + better clearcoat he hopes to hit 2 million hits (with a much more brutal testing rig). Also Scott showed the diagnostics screens which probably give even a router way more information than he could ever imagine, like timestamped switch errors :-0
ยป YouTube video

I agree. Scott seemed very proud of the stats and diagnostics he's added to the game, and rightly so.

Anyone who's ever tried to track down a sporadic "missing ball" issue on an STTNG can immediately appreciate the value of a timestamped switch log.

Thanks Scott!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside