Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 145.
#151 2 years ago

its pinside what did you expect

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Watching the Dead Flip vid on Youtube gives a clear view of the layout and light show. Looks amazing! One pop bumper that cause such an awesome effect!
Beware the man in green...

The "man in green" is bangerjay, IINM. Avert-your-eyes multiball.

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

The "man in green" is bangerjay, IINM. Avert-your-eyes multiball.

That image could very easily make its way onto the LCD

#154 2 years ago

I'd be willing to do some modeling. Different shots could add clothes

#155 2 years ago

If TA was refined and a decion to produce them was made, that would be welcomed news. That's a long way off imho. How many would they decide to build - 100, 200 or even 500 games? Once a number is selected, they should make an official announcement and add a plaque to the pin. That should accelerate selling of pins while building a healthy wait list. Don’t know if I agree with one wrong opinion repeated here, that numbered games are worth $1k more

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, there's two methods for serial. One is using cheap WS2812 serial RGB LEDs, where basically you connect them all together in a chain - power and RX/TX lines - and you send serial commands down the line. The serial data is sent like a bucket brigade from one LED device to the next until the appropriate LED sees a command meant for itself and it plucks that out of the stream before sending the data on.
This is how WOZ did it. The drawbacks are that any break in the chain or power screws any downstream LED, and that you have increasing latency in passing commands with each additional LED in the chain as they have to read and transmit. Also, there are more chances for interference to screw up the serial data and cause the wrong LEDs to light, or to be stuck on, etc.
In contrast, the PD-LED method uses a single RS485 connection to the board, generally a single set of wires, and power is run separately to the board to directly power the LEDs. RS485 is a very robust protocol - it's used in cars, a very noisy environment - so it's more fault-tolerant, and the single serial signal is easier to isolate and shield. Also, there is less latency involved because there is only a single RX/TX to the board, not a chain of them, so response time is much faster and more reliable.
If you're interested in custom games, I suggest checking out Pinball Makers. http://pinballmakers.com/

So to be accurate.. your beef is with a long daisy chain of individual LEDs... not serial controlled LEDs. Because even the PD board uses a daisy chain serial bus.

The distinction is important.. because hybrids of your two philosophies are possible.. which is in effect what the modern controllers are doing. Common serial buses with individual driver boards closer to the components. Vs 'one daisy chained' bus. A multi-termination bus vs daisy chain is another element that is what matters in the points you raise.

The reliability of the WOZ design doesn't have much to do with this debate though.. as it's not noise that was frying boards.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I'd be willing to do some modeling. Different shots could add clothes

what would need to be done to get the clothes off.

Would be an awesome mode! Starts out full clothed and spinner shots slowly erode the clothes (probably from the nuc waste meltdown). The mode runs in the background and once the full mankini is rockin (i.e. enough spinner hits to remove all the clothes) then special music comes on and party boy dances on the screen. all balls fire on the pf and the only goal it to attempt to put the clothes back on the dancin man by hitting either a specific combo or spinner + X

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Different shots could add clothes

Would provide the needed motivation to be more accurate

#159 2 years ago

This game is straight up wow! Impressed by sound lights and play. Needs great art.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Because it doesn't have a ramp? So if he put a $50 plastic ramp on it, it'd be worth $1,000 more?
Did you see the photo of the underside of this thing? That's Hobbit levels of wiring and materials.
3x single "smart" drops (2x coils per drop)
5x sling coils
2x scoops
2x controlled gates
1x pop bumper
1x spinner
1x auto launcher
3x flippers
That's just mechanical devices - never mind the 100+ RGB lamps. Stern couldn't even get 10 RGB lamps into their $15,000 game, but somehow because this game is missing a ramp, it's not worth $7K?
Just watch the streams on this game and you'll see why it's worth every penny. Not every game needs to have 32 stackable modes to be fun, sometimes it just needs to beat you over and over to keep you coming back. Every single person on that stream kept coming back for more.

Not saying a ramp adds $1k value, I'm just stating my opinion on the game value if produced after watching (really being mesmerized) by the dead flip videos, as asked by the op. It's a new take on an 80s style game -- we all agree it's awesome. To me, it's $4k awesome.. that's the rough price point I'd consider buying, new, used, whatever. I'm pretty sure production costs exceed that price point, and I'm pretty sure other people would pay more for this.. Prob enough people and $$ to make it viable.

At 6 to 7k, there's other games I'd go for in the newer style category.

I played and really liked can crusher (as an example), but at its heart it doesn't have enough to make it worth 5k to me, maybe $2k but obviously I'm not going to find one that cheap.

As awesome as ta looks, coukfnt justify it personally at 6k+ .. that's all I'm sayn .. not speaking to what it could cost to make it, and no disrespect to Scotts work on this, it's amazing! Had I a different budget and space for 10+ pins things might look different..

#161 2 years ago

This is incredible! I've heard it talked about on a podcast a couple times, but this is the first I saw of it! Can't wait to see where it goes next!

#162 2 years ago

Would be great for a larger collection and for party's I'm sure. I don't believe it would be great if it was one of 1-2 pins in a collection.

#163 2 years ago

I'm reminded of this quaint little ditty from my youth

#164 2 years ago

I don't have deep pockets or any production knowledge, hell I haven't even gotten to play the game yet (TPF hopefully) But based off what I've seen I would easily be in at the the 7k range and I've not even spent 5k for a pin yet.

Classic style game with a modern twist that kicks your ass and keeps you coming back. Love the multiball, prisoner of war style save your buddies and cause some havoc,great use of the drop targets .Even in a smaller collection this game would hold its own and earn it's footprint.

Maybe some things could be simplified for production just like with anything between prototype and production but there's alot to this game. I don't see it being made cheaply without dumbing it down to something less then Scott's original vision for it

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they are remaking Torpedo alley? Awesome. that game is a good time. Hope they change all the standups to drops.

"Aye Aye Captain!"

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I'm also trying to steer things away from the bickering. It reminds me of those old cartoon fights, where it's just a ball of dust with arms and legs protruding out and it keeps rolling on, gathering up shit in it's way. No purpose, no progress

Some of us have a hard time visualizing with the use of images...

Brad

fight.png

#167 2 years ago

Just stumbled on this thread, and I had no idea who Scott was before this, but I'm totally blown away with this project.

Honestly this is the type of new pin I daydream about all the time.... inspired by classic early 80s Bally/Williams pins, with modern technology, lighting & sound. Glad to see there's people out there with the same passion! You've really hit it out of the park on this one in design, difficulty, sound and lighting. If you can bring the whole package together with a killer "synthwave, blood dragon, kung fury" vibe, then you've got something really special here. There is DEFINITELY a market out there for this type of pin.

You've got a new fan right here I'll be watching intently to see where this goes, and if it ever goes into production you can count me in.

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I played and really liked can crusher (as an example)

If what you see when you look at TA is Can Crusher, then there's nothing I could say to change your mind.

#169 2 years ago

Deposit sent.

#170 2 years ago

Noticing how adjustable the outlanes are and I like how they are nice and wiiiiiide

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Anybody got any sweet mode ideas?

Maybe a mode with a nod to Pinball Olympics.
Something like BSD. During a specific mode, you must avoid a specific target/pop/drop and if you hit it, immediate Tilt. You f*cked up, your dead.

#173 2 years ago

I don't think Scott is looking for ideas for his modes, he's got it covered. Enjoy the journey and you'll see his game unfold.

Quoted from burningman:

Maybe a mode with a nod to Pinball Olympics.
Something like BSD. During a specific mode, you must avoid a specific target/pop/drop and if you hit it, immediate Tilt. You f*cked up, your dead.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what would need to be done to get the clothes off.
Would be an awesome mode! Starts out full clothed and spinner shots slowly erode the clothes (probably from the nuc waste meltdown). The mode runs in the background and once the full mankini is rockin (i.e. enough spinner hits to remove all the clothes) then special music comes on and party boy dances on the screen. all balls fire on the pf and the only goal it to attempt to put the clothes back on the dancin man by hitting either a specific combo or spinner + X

I like it in reverse as a hurry up jackpot. where if you don't get Jay clothed in time you lose the whole award.

-c

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If what you see when you look at TA is Can Crusher, then there's nothing I could say to change your mind.

Lol -- not at all, I'm just throwing the closest example of where an older style pin kind of concept was remade .. it's not a great example I'll give you that. As I stated slready though - ta blows me away, it's really a cool game even in white wood form. But if it was priced at a stern prem point, or a little under dialed in.. I can't compete with guys/gals that are looking at every new game release as a potential purchase though so maybe this is just out of my league. Hope to play one someday somewhere though

#176 2 years ago

I thought The Jetsons was cool, but at $6K, I'm not interested, I had money just got a SM (like new) for $5K. If Jetsons was priced $5K, I might have thought about that instead. It all comes down to price.

No doubt TA can sell some at $8K it's great but it will be cutting off 90% of the pinball audience. I wouldn't buy, I didn't care about DI once I read the price was $9K. It doesn't exist for me anymore unless I find one in another Pinsiders collection or in the wild. I was going to buy MMr but realized to me it didn't equal $8K plus shipping plus colorization. They lost a sale.

If however if TA were to come in at $6K (or less) then all the sudden there will be a lot more people.

#177 2 years ago

If the game could be marketed at different prices for different volumes, that information would be helpful. When you limit games to 250, under $5k is improbable. Why not bump it to 500, 750 or 1000 and compare costs.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Would be great for a larger collection and for party's I'm sure. I don't believe it would be great if it was one of 1-2 pins in a collection.

If it keeps you coming back for more, which I think this game will, why not?

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If it keeps you coming back for more, which I think this game will, why not?

I agree. I was watching more of the dead flip stream last night and just observing people's reactions when the game was over, they were like kids on crack - You could just tell in their minds they were thinking, 'game is over, let's play again, let's play again, who's gonna press start, someone press start, let's play again, let's play again'. Even dead flip was hooked on getting one player games in to try and blow the game up.

And I think someone mentioned here that once the stream went offline and everyone could play any game, they still just kept plugging away at TA. Fast, furious, smooth, simple yet compelling, challenging, etc... that's the formula for great and addicting games. So whether spooky picks this title up or not, Scott did a fantastic job building and designing it and should be very proud. I can't wait to see what comes next for TA. Well done.

#180 2 years ago

Yes, kind of like when Pac-Man first came out. Very simple rules but people kept playing. Only with this being real physical skill you never have the same game twice.

#181 2 years ago

What about Total Nuclear Annihilation, is that trademarked? Bonus: cheesy acronym.

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

What about Total Nuclear Annihilation, is that trademarked? Bonus: cheesy acronym.

love it!!!

I still spell it Analnation

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

love it!!!
I still spell it Analnation

if they tried to stick a 7k or 8k price tag on it, this is exactly what it would be.

#184 2 years ago

So I've been obsessed with this table ever since watching the jack danger stream.. So much so I took dolly parton in future pinball (fitting) and mocked up the total annihilation layout with the top down screenshot. Keep in mind, the coding is borrowed from Dolly so don't expect RGB lighting or real rules.. But if you really want to know how awesome this layout, it IS flippable. I got Scott's blessing before I posted this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/54e314pgr454awh/ta.fpt?dl=0

ta-future_pinball (resized).jpg

#185 2 years ago

Gomez is a fan of T.A.
Everyone is a fan.
I am a fan.
I want one in my pin room, someone make it happen!

One thing I love is the ball being ejected out of the scoop immediately.
I have GBLE here at the moment ( fun game) but the thing that annoys me the most is when I shoot the scoop (left) it can be up to 30 seconds of mostly unskippable DMD annimations. Tobins spirit guide, Scene Start, Extra ball animation....
JUST GIVE ME MY BALL BACK!

#186 2 years ago

Can I hear a hallelujah! GIVE US OUR BALLS BACK QUICK!

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Leascippi:

I wasn't trying to stir anything up but since the topic is about the game theoretically going into production it's worth noting the trademark for "Total Annihilation" is owned by Atari.
I don't buy the argument that the trademark was for "computer software" and this is an "amusement device". The game uses P-ROC which is basically for a computer interface, correct? A computer running software?
God knows there's enough legal BS in pinball already.

Small font "Scott Danesi's"
Huge font "Total Annihilation" removes all potential trademark issues.

Do Scott's name in Miami Vice cursive and Total Annihilation in a great 80s throwback font as I've seen above. Could be cool.

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So I've been obsessed with this table ever since watching the jack danger stream.. So much so I took dolly parton in future pinball (fitting) and mocked up the total annihilation layout with the top down screenshot. Keep in mind, the coding is borrowed from Dolly so don't expect RGB lighting or real rules.. But if you really want to know how awesome this layout, it IS flippable. I got Scott's blessing before I posted this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/54e314pgr454awh/ta.fpt?dl=0

I'm continually impressed with all the talent Pinsiders possess. Good work on this. Keep us updated.

#189 2 years ago

george gomez favorite game right now: Total annihilation
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RruAJSWfDa

#190 2 years ago

My buddies and I played this at expo for quite a while, when we weren't hogging it, others hopped on, the reactions were cool, all were impressed..

In a production environment, consumers would love to pay $4000, I don't see something like this selling for less than 5 and likely it would be closer to 6

For art, I imagine Max Headroom meets TRON meets Miami Vice.. Can't wait to play again here at TPF..

#191 2 years ago

Remove 2 $50 ramps and the game should cost $4000? Ramps were not omitted in this game for cost, they were omitted because this game was designed to be more fun without them. The BOM changes very little, if at all.
Terry.

#192 2 years ago

How about some Total Annihilation photos from the Texas Pinball Festival???

#193 2 years ago

I can't hear TA on the tournament live stream. It must not be on.

#194 2 years ago

+1

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How about some Total Annihilation photos from the Texas Pinball Festival?

Someone feel free to post a Youtube link of gameplay from TPF17!
-Mike

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

+1

Someone feel free to post a Youtube link of gameplay from TPF17!
-Mike

Or just watch the dead flip archive on youtube?

#196 2 years ago

Already seen that,time for a new vid and see any changes-updates.
-Mike

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Already seen that,time for a new vid and see any changes-updates.
-Mike

Ah. Hasn't changed too much since then.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How about some Total Annihilation photos from the Texas Pinball Festival???

Played it last night and put my initials in. Not sure if they're still there though. Fun and fast

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've heard of Planetary Annihilation (released a few years ago), but not Total Annihilation. My RTS experience kind of started and ended with some of the first Age of Empires games.

Total Annihilation the PC game was awesome. It kept my interest for a bit between Starcraft and Warcraft 3. I liked that you could get custom vehicles add ons. It was a really good game thinking back on it.

Total Annihilation the pinball machine also looks awesome. I like the numeric led counter as the ball save timer.

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm reminded of this quaint little ditty from my youth
» YouTube video

I was reminded of an old song from Vast
Pretty When You Cry

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Old Saybrook, CT
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside