Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 145.
#1901 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You're missing some important context - people are excited about this game because they PLAYED IT. It has nothing to do with who is making it.

the merit of my post was not meant to rest on who made the game. the poster who posed the original question specified Stern as a manufacturer and was immediately countered by Stern's recent lack of QC and desire to cut BOM. I only brought up JJP so as to eliminate those arguments as concerns, which were irrelevant to the actual position which was:

There is an imbalance of support from the homebrew/P-ROC community in this thread compared to threads discussing other NIB/upcoming titles. if this exact game was not designed by Scott Danesi and thus had no connection to the homebrew/P-ROC community, but instead was an in house design by a reputable manufacturer would it be as well recvd?

ive seen people who have played it. several hours of streams. from the reactions its hard to tell if they are excited/having fun. watched the dead flip entourage feeds playing TNA - witnessed more frustration than anything. Watched the 2hrs+ of video from SFGE and didn't see many people walking away from TNA with smiles on their faces (if that's a valid indication of enjoyment) - but of course they are playing a whitewood. In all fairness, few walked away from Houdini with a smile on their face on the 2hrs of coverage from that same show - and that game had a pf/cabinet art package.

#1902 2 years ago

They didn't shoot each other.

#1903 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not sure how I got ejected from all the Stern threads

You aint alone brother.

download (resized).jpg

#1904 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

ive seen people who have played it. several hours of streams. from the reactions its hard to tell if they are excited/having fun. watched the dead flip entourage feeds playing TNA - witnessed more frustration than anything. Watched the 2hrs+ of video from SFGE and didn't see many people walking away from TNA with smiles on their faces (if that's a valid indication of enjoyment) - but of course they are playing a whitewood. In all fairness, few walked away from Houdini with a smile on their face on the 2hrs of coverage from that same show - and that game had a pf/cabinet art package.

most of the time the machine has beaten you, so often there is an expression of frustration or disappointment or anger at ones self for mis playing the ball, missing an opportunity, etc. It is when someone walks away before their third ball, or clearly seems to be just going through the paces waiting for this game to end, that you know they are not enjoying it. When someone finishes their game, and gets back in a long line (when there are plenty of other games to play), and you see a lot of that with both TNA and Houdini at shows, then, you know it is the good kind of frustration.

I don't want to play a machine that is not challenging or is just boring in shots, etc.. I'd rather have a game kick my ass, so that when I finally kicks it's ass, I feel like I've done something special.

#1905 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the merit of my post was not meant to rest on who made the game. the poster who posed the original question specified Stern as a manufacturer and was immediately countered by Stern's recent lack of QC and desire to cut BOM. I only brought up JJP so as to eliminate those arguments as concerns, which were irrelevant to the actual position which was:
There is an imbalance of support from the homebrew/P-ROC community in this thread compared to threads discussing other NIB/upcoming titles. if this exact game was not designed by Scott Danesi and thus had no connection to the homebrew/P-ROC community, but instead was an in house design by a reputable manufacturer would it be as well recvd?

I see the point you are trying to make. I have a few counter thoughts. Not being a home brew person or friend of Scott. Played TNA a few times at MGC and got to have a nice talk to Scott.

1-this game wouldn't be built if Scott and Spooky didn't do it. The world is full of what ifs. This is what happened and if the community supporting the underdog (theme of every other popular movie) got us a great game. A big plus for us spooky and Scott.

2-I heard the same feed and expo comments about GB. I was being told it was going to tank etc. and I think the sales on that one exceeded the original "people are not having fun" comments.

Although it's good to theorize. This gets us no where on learning more about the game and its production. What a game specific forum is for. ...

Anyone have any thoughts on the option for a direct art print cabinet. The Proto is supposed to be unreal. I would love to see it in person.

Here's another one.
Hey spooky, Scott. Can you comment on playfeild support railes? Will there be two or one or none?

Another game related. I noticed they changed the color of the reactor led readout.

Go

#1906 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

TWD enrages me, but i still keep pushing start...also got a chance to play Houdini and it definitely underwhelmed me. It's also pretty unrealistic to only play or own a game that makes you smile. I love pinball, and hope that the hobby continues to thrive but i can't say that any particular machines makes me smile, much less judge the fun-factor of a machine by watching others.

#1907 2 years ago

what made this even funnier (yes I know it's not a word), is the fact that you got 20 thumbs up for this, and 1 downvote..and the downvote being Hilton. LOL ....classic.

#1908 2 years ago

It's got everything an old Bally needs except a Saucer... guess those are scoops now!

Super excited to play this one day.

#1909 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

most of the time the machine has beaten you, so often there is an expression of frustration or disappointment or anger at ones self for mis playing the ball, missing an opportunity, etc.

Quoted from FatPanda:

i can't say that any particular machines makes me smile, much less judge the fun-factor of a machine by watching others.

funny, in Gerry's show reports re: P3 he paints a picture of smiles on everyone's faces having fun. that's what I hope to see from general attendees [novice players] at a pinball show. Still, 5 hrs+ of video between TNA and Houdini taken at SFGE and just didn't see many smiles from the GP. Personally, I play seriously but tend to laugh at myself when I misplay the ball, miss a shot, or get cheap drains. Those are frustrating times for sure, but I have a smile on when they happen, so perhaps I'm projecting that onto others.

Serious players, on the other hand, I don't expect to be smiling much especially when playing a game where their ball times are lower than they may be used to. the dead flip group are certainly not shaking off drains with a smile, but I guess underneath it all they are having a blast.

I don't mind playing games/specific shots that are challenging as long as you have an opportunity to execute them if you play well. Now, if the game is difficult because you never get/can't create a chance, then that's another story.

Rosh, my comments were not an attempt to dis on Houdini, but rather not to single out TNA. my observations based on viewing both streams were that people were not smiling. I'd expect a line at both TNA and Houdini since only one of each gm was present. Perhaps they were getting back in line because they wanted to play more than 2 balls. limiting was a good idea.

#1910 2 years ago

Prototype has 2 playfield slide rails. I believe the production game will as well.

#1911 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The bottom line is that the attendees at shows are far broader than Pinside, and how many times has TnA won best in show?

So, general public attendees vote for best in show?

#1912 2 years ago

Did I understand from Mr. Kelly this baby will have a real backglass AND an option for real stenciled art on the cabinet?
Salivating for some TNA if true.

#1913 2 years ago

Played TNA again tonight. It truly is an amazing machine. This is my new definition of a "just one more game" machine.

#1914 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

funny, in Gerry's show reports re: P3 he paints a picture of smiles on everyone's faces having fun. that's what I hope to see from general attendees [novice players] at a pinball show. Still, 5 hrs+ of video between TNA and Houdini taken at SFGE and just didn't see many smiles from the GP. Personally, I play seriously but tend to laugh at myself when I misplay the ball, miss a shot, or get cheap drains. Those are frustrating times for sure, but I have a smile on when they happen, so perhaps I'm projecting that onto others.
Serious players, on the other hand, I don't expect to be smiling much especially when playing a game where their ball times are lower than they may be used to. the dead flip group are certainly not shaking off drains with a smile, but I guess underneath it all they are having a blast.
I don't mind playing games/specific shots that are challenging as long as you have an opportunity to execute them if you play well. Now, if the game is difficult because you never get/can't create a chance, then that's another story.
Rosh, my comments were not an attempt to dis on Houdini, but rather not to single out TNA. my observations based on viewing both streams were that people were not smiling. I'd expect a line at both TNA and Houdini since only one of each gm was present. Perhaps they were getting back in line because they wanted to play more than 2 balls. limiting was a good idea.

I played on both deadflip streams and I assure you that I was having a great time playing this game . We were playing for dollars ( so some pretty serious business there) . But yeah you should really play this game for yourself to see how you feel about it . I hope you get a chance to play it for yourself sometime soon, as you will be the best person to determain if this game is right for you or not .

#1915 2 years ago

It's cool. To each their own. At the end of the day, dont dog it until you try it.

#1917 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if this exact game was not designed by Scott Danesi and thus had no connection to the homebrew/P-ROC community, but instead was an in house design by a reputable manufacturer would it be as well recvd?

If this exact game, presented with the features as they stand, then the answer is "yes, it would be well received." 99% of the people who walk up to play it at shows don't know Scott or Spooky at all.

However, neither Stern or JJP would ever conceive of or build this game. It is completely unconventional. So the answer is also "no" because neither company is capable of making such a game. Stern, for example, has many restrictions on what has to be in a game, like three pop bumpers. JJP is interested only in mass market, family-friendly games. So this market is left to Spooky to fill.

#1918 2 years ago

You will sweat,oh yes you will sweat! Best workout ever.
-Mike

#1919 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Did I understand from Mr. Kelly this baby will have a real backglass AND an option for real stenciled art on the cabinet?

All Spooky's games have real backglasses.

#1920 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Prototype has 2 playfield slide rails. I believe the production game will as well.

Awesome. Good to hear. I like the better stability of two. Granted one is better than kick stands.

RZ standard has a translight. I can't personally speak for AMH I thought that was a translight too.

I would suggest for anyone wanting to learn more about the game to listen to this weeks spooky podcast. They mention in there all games will feature a real backglass.

Edit- I was wrong about the translight use.

#1921 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

RZ standard has a translight.

No, it doesn't. My #69 is a real backglass. The only translights were the ones they sold as wall hangers.

Quoted from Fortytwo:

I can't personally speak for AMH I thought that was a translight too.

Nope, backglass also.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

All Spooky's games have real backglasses.

This guy would know.

Edit: Wait, what? fortytwo Your collection shows that you own a RZ.

#1922 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The artwork wouldn't be stenciled. Rather than using decals, the artwork would be printed directly on the cabinet pieces using a direct print process.

Normally, the cabinet parts are manufactured by a cabinet shop, then sent to Spooky for assembly. Once assembled, decals, printed by Spooky, are applied and you have a finished cabinet.

With the clear coated cabinet option, the five cabinet pieces that get art are sent to the printer. The art is then printed directly on the cabinet pieces. Those pieces then go back to the cabinet shop where they get clear coated. Now those pieces go to Spooky for cabinet assembly. You really need to see the finished product in person to fully appreciate how beautiful it looks.

Are are a few pics of a FT cabinet made this way.

IMG_3729 (resized).JPG

IMG_3731 (resized).JPG

IMG_2517 (resized).JPG

IMG_2518 (resized).JPG

#1923 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

With the clear coated cabinet option, the five cabinet pieces that get art are sent to the printer. The art is then printed directly on the cabinet pieces. Those pieces then go back to the cabinet shop where they get clear coated. Now those pieces go to Spooky for cabinet assembly.

That sounds expensive with all the extra shipping and labor.

#1924 2 years ago

Wow that is the nicest cabinet finish I've ever seen.

#1925 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I believe Charlie said it would be a $1000 extra. Not only do you have way more man hours involved, but you now have a printing company you need to pay for their services.

#1926 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

i think charlie said 1k+ for the option? he mentioned it on the most recent spooky podcast.

#1927 2 years ago

I love the look but don't know if I could justify 1k especially if I won't see the sides that often because it's between two other pins.

#1928 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I love the look but don't know if I could justify 1k especially if I won't see the sides that often because it's between two other pins.

Completely understandable.

#1929 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I have a WOZ standard, and the clear coated cabinet is the one ECLE feature that I envy. Like with WOZ, however, I suspect I'll end up with decals due to the extra cost. Especially since we're talking about Spooky decals, which are very nicely done.

#1930 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Completely understandable.

Do we know if there will be any other upgrades besides the cabinets?

Plastic protectors?
Side art?

Can't wait for this game!

#1931 2 years ago

The FT cabinet looks fantastic. Maybe for a full restore I would consider, but with a NIB, you would think the "standard" production would be more than suitable.

#1932 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Plastic protectors?
Side art?

I'm sure Chuck will have plastic protectors. Not sure about anything else.

#1933 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Plastic protectors?
Side art?

I think the pricing and deposit info is coming up mid month, I would think upgrade options would be included in that. I'm pretty excited about this game as well, I think it's going to beat Charlie and Scott's predictions.

#1934 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I think it's going to beat Charlie and Scott's predictions.

I really hope so. Not because Scott is my friend (he is), or that I wish good things for Spooky (I do), but because seeing a game like this be successful would feel like a really healthy thing for the pinball industry. We need different ideas to thrive, and I'd especially love to see more success for unlicensed themes.

#1935 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

and I'd especially love to see more success for unlicensed themes.

I couldn't agree more! I like licensed themes and understand the many benefits of starting with such a theme. But I also feel it is "creatively lazy." We don't see new and interesting worlds but rely on ones that already exist. That's one of the reasons I like DI and TNA so much.

#1936 2 years ago

I'm determined to get one of these over to the UK - from the videos available it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see some gameplay on a production version, I think the light show will look great with the playfield art.

#1937 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Fair enough, when comparing to Stern. But what if JJP had built it, and build quality wasn't going to be an issue? everything in the original BOM was kept, and then some, without cutting corners?
I believe the original question was posed from this standpoint. Say an existing manufacturer revealed a new non-themed game dolled up in purple and pink; designed by an unestablished first time designer featuring a simple one level layout, a mostly single rinse/repeat objective, no modes, no ramps, no toys, but they told you its got a great light show and driving soundtrack. It was going to list for $6K. They justify this machine as their attempt to return to the 80's simplicity of rules and layout with retro art.
If TNA was an in-house design by JJP would people still view this machine as something special or ask themselves 'what exactly are they trying to sell me here'?

I agree that I took the original question the same way.

In general, I think the excitement for the game itself would be there still. I played all the "new" games at TPF this year (except Dominoes), and TNA was my favorite. Easily. I don't know Scott, I own no Spooky pins, I'm not in the homebrew scene. I just liked how it played.

However, I do also think the overall reaction to the full announcement (and criticism thereof) would vary, depending on the manufacturer. Hard to predict. For instance, for JJP this would be their most inexpensive offering (I think $8k is the lowest game price presently available through them), so people might actually perceive of this as a better deal than they currently do (where its pricing is very much in line with other Spooky games). Stern at $6k could go a couple ways, depending on the person. Some might look at the features that Stern Pros lack (real backglass, topper, laser etching, etc.) and say that's worth the few hundred more than a Pro. Others might focus on the code (presumption of far fewer lines developed), animations (presumption of fewer), and lack of a major "toy" and then question why it isn't cheaper than a Pro.

So, I think in a way both thoughts are right. Total Nuclear Annihilation totally (haha) stands on its own as a game. But reactions would almost assuredly vary depending on the manufacturer, even if the game itself were identical. Just how the hobby is.

#1938 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

I did not take it as a dis.

P3 redemption style games are going to create more smiles. Whether because it is kids playing, or someone playing it and finding it is a lot more fun than they expected.

At some shows we did have it on 3 balls, but regardless, one of my measures of success/reaction was how many folks after playing go back on line, which was usually pretty long. That is what you want in a game, a game that makes you want to play it again and again.

To be honest, I doubt I am smiling after playing a machine very often. I guess my point being is that I don't think that smiles after playing is meaningful or a valid way to assess the enjoyment level or any other aspect of a machine. So smiles are always good to see, but a lack of smiles means nothing.

#1939 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

No, it doesn't. My #69 is a real backglass. The only translights were the ones they sold as wall hangers.

Nope, backglass also.

This guy would know.
Edit: Wait, what? fortytwo Your collection shows that you own a RZ.

Huh. Well I stands corrected. Just checked my game as I never previously had a reason to look closely at the backglass construction. I was going off two things. The original announcement stating LE owners were getting a backglass for the extra. And other owners chatting about using the LE translight in their game. I didn't run across someone mentioning buying new glass.

#1940 2 years ago

Has it been mentioned what LEDs are being used on the production and if they are still each direct wired?

#1941 2 years ago

I persuaded my co-hobby-operator today: We'll buy one to put on location here. Can't wait!

#1942 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

seeing a game like this be successful would feel like a really healthy thing for the pinball industry. We need different ideas to thrive, and I'd especially love to see more success for unlicensed themes.

I couldn't agree more because the industry as a whole has become kind of stagnant as of late.

#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

seeing a game like this be successful would feel like a really healthy thing for the pinball industry

while a positive should it happen, the health of the industry is going to ride on bigger issues like companies actually building and delivering games they have already sold, completing code on games they have already sold, and new manufacturers establishing themselves vs failing.

#1944 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

it's understandable A LOT of support in this thread comes from the homebrew/pinside community as well as personal friends of Scott. This element would not have existed if an identical game had been presented cold from an established company. Without it, I suspect opinions might be less enthusiastic.

I don't agree. Have you played it? My interest in this game is solely due to playing it at SFGE17. It is hugely entertaining. Extremely fast with the sights and sounds to match. As I've stated before, I literally played one game and then walked over to the Spooky desk and put my name on the list. I met Scott at the expo and that was cool but it is the game that quickly won me over.

I played that and dialed in the most at the expo. I have a dialed in inbound in a month by I can safely say I had way more fun with TNA at the expo.

#1945 2 years ago

2 questions:

Do you think we will see many TNA on route? I hope we see more than AMH and RZ. I travel a bit for work and get to play pinball at a variety of locations around the US. I think I've only seen 1 AMH and no RZ across 10-15 pinball locations. I hope we see more TNA.

Do you think the sound helps or hurts TNA on route? A big part of TNA experience is the sound and I love it. But I have got to imagine it would drive location employees crazy hearing it day-in day-out over and over. I'm guessing they turn the sound down on route which ultimately takes away from the TNA experience.

#1946 2 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Do you think the sound helps or hurts TNA on route? A big part of TNA experience is the sound and I love it. But I have got to imagine it would drive location employees crazy hearing it day-in day-out over and over. I'm guessing they turn the sound down on route which ultimately takes away from the TNA experience.

The sound will help draw people in to the game and enjoy it when they are playing it. As someone who has been fortunate enough to be next to the game for a few days here and there at shows: yes, the music gets stuck in your head, but in a good way.

Another thing to consider about games on location, you're going to be hearing the sounds all day no matter what. I still have a strong nostalgic connection to the "rock rock rockin' roller games!" sound/voice clip from hearing it from all the way down on the other side of the arcade at the mall (as a teen) while playing SF2: World Warrior. I played pins too, but not there. I don't think I ever played that rollergames once...

#1947 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

while a positive should it happen, the health of the industry is going to ride on bigger issues like companies actually building and delivering games they have already sold, completing code on games they have already sold, and new manufacturers establishing themselves vs failing.

Nah, none of that is what I'm talking about. Hundred boring threads to hash that out already, not gonna waste space in this one on it.

#1948 2 years ago

For those of y'all who have played it for more than the 4-5 games I played at SFGE: are the modes linear or random?? I know you try to work your way thru the reactors, but is the order of reactors and the objective needed to destroy each reactor the same every time? Thinking back to my two favorite Lawlor games I always enjoyed how on TZ you never knew which door panel mode you were playing next, however on RS, while still a favorite of mine, you always started on the East Coast going West, making the East Coast modes much more frequent than the ones on the West.

#1949 2 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

2 questions:
Do you think we will see many TNA on route? I hope we see more than AMH and RZ. I travel a bit for work and get to play pinball at a variety of locations around the US. I think I've only seen 1 AMH and no RZ across 10-15 pinball locations. I hope we see more TNA.

there are more than 10% of AMH on route with 17.
there are 21 RZ out.

That is only counting what is recorded on Pinside. Reality is that both AMH and RZ are well represented on route relative to the edition size.

#1950 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

For those of y'all who have played it for more than the 4-5 games I played at SFGE: are the modes linear or random?? I know you try to work your way thru the reactors, but is the order of reactors and the objective needed to destroy each reactor the same every time? Thinking back to my two favorite Lawlor games I always enjoyed how on TZ you never knew which door panel mode you were playing next, however on RS, while still a favorite of mine, you always started on the East Coast going West, making the East Coast modes much more frequent than the ones on the West.

i never played, but really... from what I gather from the videos I saw, it's not rocket science.

1) complete the matrix code (the 3 targets with 9 lights at the middle)
2) put the ball in the scoop next to the matrix...
3) send the ball to the upper field and hit things until complete the reactor (the number thingy there reach 100)
4) hit the flashing thing/s, which is random... some target or the bumper or whatever.

reactors go from 1 to 9? and seems to be always the same story but ramping difficulty, like... point (4) more targets to hit.

TZ have different modes and games, awful saying but... like apples to oranges.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 265.00
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside